Chris Currie's 3VO Suspension Lands at Jamis- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Chris Currie's 3VO Suspension Lands at Jamis

As a long time Speedgoat Cycles fan from growing up and riding throughout the Mid-Atlantic and NE, I've followed Chris' work over the years including the development of his suspension system.

It's finally landed at Jamis with two new 3VO bikes, the Portal and Hardline (no Speedgoat???):

Jamis¬ģ 3VO Suspension Bikes

Jamis Bikes releases new 3VO suspension platform - Mtbr.com

I'm impressed and look forward to first rides which are certainly around the corner.

It checks some boxes for me: new and innovative; available in alloy; tidy suspension with good aesthetics and; likely affordable coming from Jamis.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    No doubt! Can't wait to hear what the pricing is...just bought a new bike for the year but this bike (specifically the Portal) is on the radar if that bike isn't what I want it to be!
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm hoping there is an inexpensive version of the Portal. Looks great. Can't wait to hear riding impressions.

Live Free & Ride
    The numbers look good on the Portal and the new suspension design too! The real test, of course, will be out on the trail. Alum and carbon versions to come I hope as these look nice!

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/jamis-t...FD4C1A20A98B48
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I emailed Jamis and they said late summer. Seems so far away. Hopefully someone will get ride impressions before then.

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    Hopefully someone will get ride impressions before then.
    I certainly hope so. I'm looking into a new bike and right now I've got my eye on a 2017 DB Release 3 that I can get for around $2200 with discounts. Not sure if I should wait or what...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well to make your decision more difficult, I have a Release 2 and it's a fantastic bike.

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    Well to make your decision more difficult, I have a Release 2 and it's a fantastic bike.
    Haha, well, in a way it makes it easier only because I know the Jamis won't be as cheap even though it'll probably still be reasonable. But I also want a new car so I have to figure out what I want to spend my money on the most. And my 2009 Jamis XCT 2.0 is still doing pretty well, it would just be nice to experience the advances made in bikes in 8-9 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    quietest bike launch ever?

if this were a Specialized or an Evil, minds would be blowing.

mtbr member
    I can't wait to see one of these in person
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    just got a response from them, they'll have some to Demo in tahoe for interbike in Sept.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    just got a response from them, they'll have some to Demo in tahoe for interbike in Sept.
    What a joke of a roll-out.

mtbr member

Portal geometry

So we'll have to wait for having more news about these bikes. In Europe we'll have some bikes in October in the shops and the first customer deliveries will be in January.

I've tried recently an Evil the following MB size XL and it was really fun. It seems that the Portal have quite the same geometry. Any advice?

The Evil bike is fun but expensive and don't seems really reliable.

Chris Currie's 3VO Suspension Lands at Jamis-test.jpg
    ------------------------------------
    MTB Connection - Ride together
    https://www.mtbconnection.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I think the Jamis is very promising and worth waiting for.

Not a single pivot like the Evil.

Available in alloy.

mtbr member
    any word when they hit the dealers ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    softest rollout ever?

wonder if they'll have any sea otter demos?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    softest rollout ever?

wonder if they'll have any sea otter demos?
    FactoryMatt, They will have about 8 bikes there on display, however they are not going to have any demo rides going on. Here is the link to the demo tour ,https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/event-calendar.html, looks like the demo fleet is on the other side of the country now. its only showing into May but in NC, VA area during the next few months. Check with some local dealers, they may have one to check out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSlayerChris View Post
    FactoryMatt, They will have about 8 bikes there on display, however they are not going to have any demo rides going on. Here is the link to the demo tour ,https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/event-calendar.html, looks like the demo fleet is on the other side of the country now. its only showing into May but in NC, VA area during the next few months. Check with some local dealers, they may have one to check out.
    Thanks for response, but this is unfortunate

The link sent shows Sea Otter as a Demo event.

If a AAA brand came out with this design it'd be everywhere. Such a shame that marketing budget behind it seems so limited (and the lack of a carbon version).

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Around Town Bikes in Wilkes Barre, Pa. has Portal and Hardline with one demo bike available. From what I was told carbon coming next year.

Columbus, GA
    I just wish the spec was a bit better for the price. Should be a 1x12.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BvfDHlSHlLD/

So Syd Schulz has a pic of the new carbon Jamis Portal that's apparently out there somewhere.

No mention of it anywhere else but it looks siiick af.

Man Jamis' marketing is so so bad. what a shame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Not sure if anyone else has a Portal or Hardline yet but I love mine! I bought the frameset and while it's the aluminum Portal it rides amazing. I swapped the shock to a Cane Creek DBair IL and this bike is now perfect. The stock Fox DPS perfomance shock rides very well but lacks adjustment. I can't say enough about how lively and planted this bike is on the trail.

If anyone else has one we should create a forum for these bikes.Chris Currie's 3VO Suspension Lands at Jamis-img_20190420_130558841_hdr.jpg
    Chris Currie's 3VO Suspension Lands at Jamis-img_20190420_130605891_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbmx435 View Post
    Not sure if anyone else has a Portal or Hardline yet but I love mine! I bought the frameset and while it's the aluminum Portal it rides amazing. I swapped the shock to a Cane Creek DBair IL and this bike is now perfect. The stock Fox DPS perfomance shock rides very well but lacks adjustment. I can't say enough about how lively and planted this bike is on the trail.

If anyone else has one we should create a forum for these bikes.
    I just built the same frame on Friday. I'm really happy with it so far and that's with a temporary build with a short dropper and 120mm fork off my hardtail. I've got a Fox 36 on the way and I'm trying to figure out how long of a dropper I can use on my medium. 125mm would be ok but I'm hoping I can fit a 150.

Anyway, I've only had 2 rides on it so far. One in 27.5+ setup and one with my 29 wheels. I greatly prefer it as a 29er but my 29er wheelset is pretty nice and my plus set is cheap and heavy.

I've owned a few DW link and a Yeti Switch bike, as well as lots of demos on switch infinity, dw link, vpp, split pivot, etc, and 3VO is definitely one of the best I've ridden. Great pedaling efficiency, plush, but didn't feel like it was blowing through the travel too much. I really liked being able to stand and climb with the shock open and still feel supported and efficient.
    Last edited by ryguy79; 3 Days Ago at 02:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    I just built the same frame on Friday. I'm really happy with it so far and that's with a temporary build with a short dropper and 120mm fork off my hardtail. I've got a Fox 36 on the way and I'm trying to decide figure out how long of a dropper I can use on my medium. 125mm would be ok but I'm hoping I can fit a 150.

Anyway, I've only had 2 rides on it so far. One in 27.5+ setup and one with my 29 wheels. I greatly prefer it as a 29er but my 29er wheelset is pretty nice and my plus set is cheap and heavy.

I've owned a few DW link and a Yeti Switch bike, as well as lots of demos on switch infinity, dw link, vpp, split pivot, etc, and 3VO is definitely one of the best I've ridden. Great pedaling efficiency, plush, but didn't feel like it was blowing through the travel too much. I really liked being able to stand and climb with the shock open and still feel supported and efficient.
    I'm interested in trying out 29er wheels on the portal. Not sure how'd they ride since I've only been on a 29er for one ride years ago. It's on my list of trials, my 27.5 wheels are custom built and nice quality so that makes it hard to decide to try.

mtbr member

Man Jamis' marketing is so so bad. what a shame.
    If I wasn't friends with a bike shop owner that carries Jamis, I wouldn't have cared enough to even research the Portal. They really need to get bikes to magazines and websites for reviews or something.

Also, my friend/shop owner says the carbon should be available in fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    If I wasn't friends with a bike shop owner that carries Jamis, I wouldn't have cared enough to even research the Portal. They really need to get bikes to magazines and websites for reviews or something.

Also, my friend/shop owner says the carbon should be available in fall.
    Carbon would be cool but the aluminum frame rides lighter than it actually is. As for reviews, I will admit there are very few on this bike on the internet which is a bummer since the bike rides so well. Small bump sensitivity is top notch without effecting the midstroke of bottom stroke support.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I recently finished a high end Portal built around 29x2.6, and took it for its maiden voyage today. Holy crap, the 3VO platform really works! I was immediately very impressed, and canít wait to spend more time on it.

mtbr member
    Reading all the marketing promos on the 3VO suspension remind me of how my Canfield works. I might have to demo one of these if I ever get the opportunity just to compare. If it does what I think it does it's going to be a great platform.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    I recently finished a high end Portal built around 29x2.6, and took it for its maiden voyage today. Holy crap, the 3VO platform really works! I was immediately very impressed, and canít wait to spend more time on it.
    that's awesome. any pics? what does it weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    How's clearance in the rear with 2.6? A jamis rep told my shop owner friend 29x2.6 was a no-go in back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    How's clearance in the rear with 2.6? A jamis rep told my shop owner friend 29x2.6 was a no-go in back.
    The 2.6 Mezcal clears no problem with 35i rims. The Rekon 2.6 looks even narrower, so Iíd imagine it clears fine as well. That said, a 2.6 with big side knobs might be too much.