Broken BAM 1- Mtbr.com

Thread: Broken BAM 1

C S
    mtbr member

Upset Broken BAM 1

Early this summer I bought a Jamis Dakar BAM 1.0 so I could get started riding DH/FR. After having a lot of fun with it all summer, I brought it with me to school to ride the few trails we have around here. Anyway, I was out riding around campus today and rode off a small set of 3 steps (like 1 foot high). As soon as I hit the ground...SNAP!! The driveside chainstay snapped as did the Maxle.

As far as I can tell, I should get a replacement rear triangle or frame. The tallest drop I took it off this summer was about 5 feet to a transition, I don't do any huge jumps (although this bike was supposedly built for it), and the damn thing cracked off a tiny drop that I have ridden a hundred times before both on this bike and my XC bike. Honestly, I kind of feel like stripping the parts off this bike and buying a new frame, but I just don't have the money right now. If I get a replacement and an reasonable explanation for why it broke when I have been riding well within its designed limits, I'll give it another try. If not, then I guess I'll have to save up to get a better frame next year.

Anyone care to share their experiences with Jamis CS? I am slightly concerned that I haven't found any reference to the warranty on the BAM on the Jamis website, but I seem to remember my LBS saying it was 5 years or so. I'll be taking the bike in to the shop on Friday, hopefully they can talk Jamis into sending me a new frame. Hopefully I'll get it soon enough to be able to make the last rides we had planned this year, but I'm guessing it is all XC riding for me for a few weeks/months

Pics of the damage:

Feb 2008
    normaly they would just replace whats broken! the seat stay! youll need to get new bearings for it!

Oct 2007
    I have a 2006 Jamis Dakar. My chain stay snapped in the same place as yours two summers in a row. Jamis replaced the rear triangle both times but the process was not speedy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I snapped a drive side XLT and got a replacement swingarm with new bearings installed.

I got a Komodo that was welded crooked and got a replacement rather quickly from the shop.

The replacement Komodo developed some left side rear tri flex that caused my caliper to twist and rock forward. I got a replacement frame in about 3wks.

Jamis CS is a finely tuned machine.

mtbr member
    I have an XLT and first the chainstay broke like yours and they replaced it fairly quick, then I cracked the frame at the seat tube/top tube junction and the replaced the entire frame less the shock. Kudos to Jamis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Jamis CS is a finely tuned machine.
    Looks like they have to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Zack Lee

mtbr member
    Yea I have mixed feelings on Jamis. I cracked my chainstays 4 times now on my 05 dakar XLT 2.0, but on the other hand Jamis backed up their warranty every time.
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

mtbr member
    My Dakar XC broke at the chainstay. They replaced that part, I went through the dealer that I bought the frame from which was not local. It took about 3 - 4 weeks to get the part. Most of that because the dealer sent out my part to someone else by mistake. Jamis did everything I expected of them.

mtbr member
    after reading these posts and cracking my '07 xam1.0 chainstay at the weld in a similar spot i shared your concerns - but my lbs and jamis turned it around within a week which is pretty damn impressive if you ask me. we all wish it never happened but i was talking to a guy this weekend that cracked both a trek hardtail and a fuel and had a real tough time with trek CS so i guess were lucky in that respect..
    without hops the world stops

C S
    mtbr member
    Update: Jamis replaced the parts under warranty, quite quickly at that. New rear end and Maxle are now in the shop, waiting to be put back together. All things considered, I'm going to stick with the BAM for now and see how it handles another season. for Jamis customer service!

I party.
    Sep 2007
    I had a Bam that also broke in the exact same place, both sides. Sheared right off. To make matters worse, I had only ridden the bike for about 6 rides, none of them particularly hard. To Jamis's credit, they gave me new rear chainstays very quickly, but since it was my 3rd broken jamis freeride bike, I have since moved onto a transition blindside.

The Bam was really a great bike, as were my old Diablo's. If only they had better QC issues, I would still be riding for them. Anyway, good luck!
    bikes:
    White Transition Blindside
    Yellow Transition ToP

mtbr member
    I nearly snapped (fractured) my brake-side chainstay at the axle. Jamis replaced it within 3 weeks ( I live in Venezuela) no questions asked. They gave me a beefier version too.

Two friends of mine have snapped their Parkers (really early models) and Jamis replaced them without charge too for beefier sets also, no problems so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ugggg I just found a deal on a used 08 BAM frame cheap. I was thinking I could build up a cheap shuttle / Whistler Bike Park rig. But reading of all these broken chainstays it does not instill confidence for riding this thing on the North Shore.

Anyone car to comment if this is a very common issue with Jamis frames? I'd guess as a second owner I'd have zero warranty.

KingBean
    I broke a Jamis Exile 29er SS going up hill!!!! snapped the head tube @ the top tube down tube joint. This was back in late september 08. The LBS where I bought the bike went under, so I went to a different shop, the whole process has been a nightmare and I still have NO frame and they can't tell me when they will get it...WTF is that!!! I am sick and tired of waiting and sick of Jamis..It is a shame, because I loved the bike and I was recommending it to everybody that was looking for a not-expensive 29erSS entry bike. Now I will defintely never buy a JAMIS again, and moreso after reading this post with all the broken frame stories.
    I can't believe they are renting Jamis now at DIABLO for the 2009 season...I hope they are better manufactured...that will definitely be an ugly picture if a frame cracks there
    "I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know... That or His Dudeness, Duder, El Dudarino..."
    MTBNJ.COM

Eat the Earth
    Bikes brake - it's the name of the game. Unfortunate, however, how you're still waiting, elzoller. Doesn't seem right.... I would double check and make sure the LBS is doing the right thing. Sometimes it's the shop and not the manufacturer.... good luck

KingBean
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieWonka
    Bikes brake - it's the name of the game. Unfortunate, however, how you're still waiting, elzoller. Doesn't seem right.... I would double check and make sure the LBS is doing the right thing. Sometimes it's the shop and not the manufacturer.... good luck
    The LBS is doing the right thing. I have been using this LBS for a while now for other stuff and they have done a great job. They even helped me with a YETI issue (I'll save that rant for the other forum) even though they are not a YETI dealer.
    I just spoke to the Jamis warranty department today and they told me they have NO idea when they will get the bikes...WTF!!?? is that. Does that mean they are not going to make it anymore? Is there some buisness related issue I don't know about.? It is already Mid-April, I am almost sure all other manufacturers have their 2009 models out.

Aren't they concerned about losing customers?? At least they should have a date. If this wasn't a warranty issue and I was on the market for a new SS on that price range, I would've already gotten one from a different manufacturer.

I am not ranting for nothing. I have been very patient, but enough is enough.
    Last edited by elzoller; 04-13-2009 at 02:30 PM.
    "I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know... That or His Dudeness, Duder, El Dudarino..."
    MTBNJ.COM

Feb 2008
    "I just spoke to the Jamis warranty department today and they told me they have NO idea when they will get the bikes...WTF!!?? is that."

where are you located?? canada or usa

KingBean
    New Jersey, about 30 mins form their Northern headquarters

Do they ever answer their customer support questions through the web? I have yet to hear from them using that tool, they might as well take it off their web site.
    MTBNJ.COM

Feb 2009

BAM II Warranty

Hello From Canada. We are the Canadian distributor RB Inc and if this was an issue in Canada we would replace it with in 10 days of receiving pics size and serial number. We have not had any issues with the BAM II chain stays and have sold many through North Shore Vancouver shops customers that have used this in extreme situations. Having said that nothing is bullet proof and there are always some warranty issues with extreme use. Please contact the dealer you purchased the bike from and they will take care of this immediately. We have contacted Jamis USA for you and they will make sure when the dealer contacts them this will be covered. If you have any issues feel free to contact us at www.rbinc-sports.com .

plays well with cows
    good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by C S
    Update: Jamis replaced the parts under warranty, quite quickly at that. New rear end and Maxle are now in the shop, waiting to be put back together. All things considered, I'm going to stick with the BAM for now and see how it handles another season. for Jamis customer service!
    08 fsrXC pro
    04 cirrus comp
    RIP 01 Slayer

MTB Name Professor Pedals

Members who have read this thread: 0