Best Tire Combo? Need Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Best Tire Combo? Need Advice

I sold the WTB Moto Raptor tires that came with my 2008 Komodo and am looking for a good trail tire combo for the upcoming season. I'd like to run a 2.4 front and 2.2/2.25 rear. Any suggestions? I live on the East Coast and my trail riding would be confined to single track stuff with the occassional rock garden. I'd prefer a steel bead tire because I like freeriding the bike too. I've got some Holy Rollers for urban freeride, but want some good trail tires that I can take out of the woods on occassion too.

Thanks!

Mike
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Big Betty and Ardent

The best combo I have tried and have stuck with is the Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 triple nano compound kevlar bead for the front and Maxxis Ardent 2.25 in the rear. Best combination of grip, fast roller, light weight, reliability, cornering, braking, and acceleration. The Big Betty weighed in at 797 g while the Ardent at 640 g. Those are really light tires considering they are both true to their sizes. This combo excels in loose, rocky conditions found in Southern California. A little pricey but totally worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks Dufferin, does that combo shed mud pretty well?

Capricious youth...
    I've heard that the Big Betty is a fantastic tire.

Personally, I'm running Specialized Chunders front and rear. They're not the fastest rolling tires, but they hook up in all sorts of terrain (wet rain, mud, dry dust, etc.), and they roll fast (although not as fast as High Rollers).

High Rollers were designed by the same guy who now does the Chunders.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys, Here are some pics of my Komodo. I've added the Holy Rollers, Crank Bros 5050xx pedals, Funn Fatboy and Funn grips, and the Blackspire Stinger. Next, which probably should have come sooner, is the front rotor. I think I'll throw an 8" Alligator on there. Otherwise she rolls great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 7PointMe
    Thanks Dufferin, does that combo shed mud pretty well?
    I actually rode in the mud today in So Cal. Its a couple of days after the rain, so its not sloppy wet muddy, but there were soft patches and puddles here and there. The trail was nice and tacky, supper fun. The Big Betty is better in shedding mud than the Ardent. The treads on the ardent are closer together and shorter and relatively small in size, the ardent might not be the best choice in sloppy mud. But in today's conditions, the ardent was pretty good, just minimal slipping on a technical climb on wet rocks and it did not get packed up with mud.

Members who have read this thread: 0