Any modified XLT's out there?- Mtbr.com
    poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

Any modified XLT's out there?

I love my XLT but I'm thinking of moving up to a 140 mm front fork and wondering if anyone has some advice from Jamis or experience related to this issue.

Also has anyone ever done anything wild like modify the upper swingarm brace, or use a 2.25" stroke rear shock, or combination of the two?

If anybody is wondering the same things or can fill me in please post, thanks.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I've been running a 145mm Nixon Comp on my XLT1.0 for 1-1/2 years, no problems. Just be careful to cut the steerer tube right (mine's about 20-30mm shorter than I wanted! oops!).

Been shopping for a new rear shock, as the Swinger-3 needed a rebuild, and NOBODY could come across with the $15 kit. I pitched that GD thing, and fudged up a shorter coilover to serve until I get a good repl. Looked at an 8" coilover (stock is 7.875x2) w/ 2.125 stroke. A touch more sag should bring the geo home, and there's room for 1/8", or so my enigneering eyes tell me....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007
    hey bigpedaler,

Thats ridiculous to say. Anyway, thanks for the info, and i might have just what you're looking for as far as a replacement. I just picked up a brand new 2006 oe swinger 3 at a good price. I dont need it yet. I might be persuaded to sell it if you offer the right price.
    Let me know.

Also, what do you think of that Nixon?
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    would a SS XLT be considered a mod? I'll post pics once I get off my lazy ass and take them.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by Poormtnbkr
    hey bigpedaler,

Thats ridiculous to say. Anyway, thanks for the info, and i might have just what you're looking for as far as a replacement. I just picked up a brand new 2006 oe swinger 3 at a good price. I dont need it yet. I might be persuaded to sell it if you offer the right price.
    Let me know.

Also, what do you think of that Nixon?
    1st, the Nixon...I'd like the heavier spring in it, but I can wait. Other than that, it's D-cups covered in chocolate syrup and whipped cream!

Now...,

What's ridiculous? Dead ends on the Swinger kit? You didn't spend three months tracing every available avenue to no avail, I DID! You're wecome to your Swinger 3 -- I'm going back to coils. With my size, I'd be a fool to act ike a weight weenie!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Members who have read this thread: 0