Adding Avid Disc Brakes On X1?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

Adding Avid Disc Brakes On X1?

I recently purchased a 2 month only Jamis Trail X1. Wish i had the option of paying $65 more for the X2. I upgraded on a new bike seat, and my new Marzocchi MZ Supercomps 120mm forks are on there way here to replace the factory forks. My next modification/upgrade will be adding disc brakes, with little cost as possible. I'm new in the bike world, so i'll need some help and verification, whether or not this will work.

I was told i will either need to replace the entire wheel or replace the hubs to add the discs.
    Calipers in the front will be mounted on the new forks. But the calipers on the back will need an adapter, correct? This is where i'm stuck and don't know which adapter to buy. The disc brakes im interested in buying at 160mm Avid BB-7s.

The hubs i've decided to buy are
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.a...S&currency=USD
    Here are the Adapters
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=BR2620

If i can find a cheap wheel that can save me from rebuilding the wheels i have using Hubs, then i'll buy them but i can't seem to find a pair of wheels for under $100.

My budget is tight. Can you guys let me know if the hubs and adapters i chose will work?

Here is the link the my bike.
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...ilx1_spec.html

NVM, I FIGURED IT OUT. I NEED 22 MM ADAPTERS FOR THE REAR AND I FOUND A WHEELSET FOR $100. THANKS ANYWAYS.
    Last edited by BlackTiger; 05-25-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Jun 2009
    Where did you find a 22mm adapter to use with newer Jamis bikes, I've hit the same snag on my X1 adding a Forte mechanical disk setup. I've found some adapters but they all seem to be compatable with older Jamis frames and I wasn't sure if they would work for my application.

Apr 2009

Jun 2009
    Thanks for the reply. All of the other adapter brackets I've found use the chainstay mounting holes, but it doesn't look like that bracket is the right size for those holes. If you could take a picture of how yours is set up that would help a lot in giving me an idea of how to put mine together.

Apr 2009
    I haven't bought one yet. I'm traveling to southern california next week. I'm going to try and visit them, and have them see which adapter is best in person. I need to buy new wheels and some other stuff too. I'll let you know which adapter exactly, is needed.

Jun 2009
    I just thought I'd put out what I've found so far...

I was looking at the A2Z adapter but after going to their website I can't find it listed. Maybe they quit manufacturing it, who knows? The brake therapy adapter is a better component anyway but is rediculously priced in my opinion. Perhaps a Woodman kit would work. The one problem with both of those conversions is the hub spacing. I already have a set of WTB speed disks that I want to use but if the therapy/woodman conversions don't give enough remaining space for the hubs then I'm screwed. I'm just gonna keep up the ebay looking, there are conversions that come and go for a pretty good price, maybe I can pick one up that'll work.

Jun 2009
    Just found an adapter on ebay by ChaserTech... about half the price of the Woodman Components kit. I don't know how durable it is though if anyone has used one maybe they can chime in on this.

Members who have read this thread: 0