3 rides on my new Jamis Dakota 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

3 rides on my new Jamis Dakota 29er

Three rides so far. Love the bike. I bought it through Jenson USA. They are blowing them out.

I bought it because I already have a Jamis Dakar XLT that I love but is overkill for 90% of my rides. I ride mostly from my house on a loop that involves some pavement, orchards, fire roads, out to a local park that has several trails.

I want to make my Dakar into more of a AM/Shuttle/Technicla trail bike and use the hardtail for my nightly, "get into shape rides."

Anyhow, I'm loving the bike. Jenson is having their big parking lot sale this weekend and I'm hoping to go there and find a carbon fiber riser bar for a good deal. I'd also like to find a better, lighter seat and seat post combo.

I don't care about weight on my XLT but I'd like to drop some wight on the Dakota. I'm eyeballing the derailers too as they are Deore XT and the front derailer looks like a brick.

Any suggestions on where to save weight on the bike would be appreciated. More specifically, what particular 07/08 parts to upgrade to and look for at the sale would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc
    Three rides so far. Love the bike. I bought it through Jenson USA. They are blowing them out.

I bought it because I already have a Jamis Dakar XLT that I love but is overkill for 90% of my rides. I ride mostly from my house on a loop that involves some pavement, orchards, fire roads, out to a local park that has several trails.

I want to make my Dakar into more of a AM/Shuttle/Technicla trail bike and use the hardtail for my nightly, "get into shape rides."

Anyhow, I'm loving the bike. Jenson is having their big parking lot sale this weekend and I'm hoping to go there and find a carbon fiber riser bar for a good deal. I'd also like to find a better, lighter seat and seat post combo.

I don't care about weight on my XLT but I'd like to drop some wight on the Dakota. I'm eyeballing the derailers too as they are Deore XT and the front derailer looks like a brick.

Any suggestions on where to save weight on the bike would be appreciated. More specifically, what particular 07/08 parts to upgrade to and look for at the sale would be appreciated.

A good light handbuilt wheelset. Don't waste your time trying to save weight in the front derailleur.

A good light set of tubeless 29'er tires would be very noticeable too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My "pro build" from Jenson resulted in my not being able to shift to the big or granny ring on the front on the loop out of my house. I didn't have any tools so I rode it like it was a 1x9.

It got me thinking so I rode the bike to work yesterday and today using only the middle ring, again, pretending like I was a oneXniner.

I'd need to play with the gearing because there are some gaps, but I'm seriously thinking about going 1X9 with the bike.

Sep 2008
    I had the same issue with mine, received mine 9/10/08 and rode it a bit around the yard and coulnt get it shift right, I called Jenson and they are rembersing me for the shops cost to have it fixed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm really enjoying the bike. It's still not shifting right and I haven't had time to put it on the stand and figure out what's going on.

I'm also getting a lot of "brake drag" with the rear disk rubbing on the pads. I've adjusted the rear brake caliper per instructions several times and it's still rubbing on the pads which is really annoying.

Otherwise, no complaints.

Members who have read this thread: 0