• 03-20-2014
    mayberry32
    2011 Dakota D29 Pro: Buy or not?
    I'm currently riding a Dragon 29er steel hardtail and love it. A friend has
    Offered to sell me a 2011 Dakota D29 Team in like new condition at a very good price. He rides road bikes, so he took it out once and it's been hanging in his garage since. Original msrp on the bike was $3400. He's offered it to me for $1500 and I can probably get it slightly lower. It's a really nice bike and in great shape, not to mention a step up component wise for me. Mainly the lighter carbon frame and the Reba fork will shave about 6-7 lbs off my current bike weight. But I keep reading about cracked carbon mtb frames. Were these frame issues only with full suspension bikes or were hardtails affected, too? I'm 6'1", 210 lbs. And I don't want to deal with a cracked frame. I am good friends with the guy, so a warranty claim could be filed if it did crack, though. What are the differences I'll see in carbon vs steel, and is it worth a $1500 upgrade for a casual xc rider?
  • 03-20-2014
    mayberry32
    Sorry...edited the post. I accidentally put $2500 as his sell price earlier. He's offered it to me for $1500, so under half of original sales price.
  • 03-21-2014
    Aresab
    Any bike can have a cracked frame, I have a Jamis XLT, the swingarm cracked after 5.5 years and Jamis warrantied it. I bought an XCT3 Carbon and have been riding it a year, great bike. $1500 seems good and he could always take it to the LBS if you have an issue.