2010 FS 650B, details currently available- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

2010 FS 650B, details currently available

Seeking any specs beyond those displayed in Jamis' YouTube video, where they unveiled the 2010 FS 650B, such as...

ETA?
    Frame material?
    Will XL be available?
    Tubeless compatible?
    Estimated MSRP? (my guess is $2750)

If the bike is decent Jamis will have a winner in this architecture, being the first mass-producer in the marketplace. If 650B is as good as I suspect it might displace 29s altogether & most 26ers above the $1500 range.

Thanks.
    jimbo
    Last edited by ro7939; 06-05-2009 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What kind of forum is this? I have to answer my own questions! Outrageous! There should be a law...how lazy of you people..just kidding, I love it here...

Below are inserted answers supplied by Marty at dealer in Clearfied Ut, a very nice sounding & helpful chap.

Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    Seeking any specs beyond those displayed in Jamis' YouTube video, where they unveiled the 2010 FS 650B, such as...

ETA?
    Jan-Feb 2010

Frame material?
    Aluminium, as they say on the other side of the pond.

Will XL be available?
    Yes

Tubeless compatible?
    I think Marty said yes but he prefers tubes for various reasons that made sense to my simple mind

Estimated MSRP? (my guess is $2750)
    One frame, three component levels from $1600-$3k. Bike will be based on the current "XTC" model but w/ 5" susp travel vs. 4" in the current 26 model.

Happy riding today!
    jimbo

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Any plans that you know of for a 4" travel version? 5" is overkill for my kind of riding, but maybe that is where the 650b benefits the most is through the rougher stuff. I'd buy it just cause it doesn't look funny like many 29ers do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Any yes, the Jamis forum is full of lazy people.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry for newbness: When travel is mentioned, is it normally referencing the fork only or both front/rear when the subject is FS? Could you mod the susp to eliminate 1" of travel? The 2009 Stumpy FSR Comp has 4.7" travel; if my '07 (same model) is 4.7" I can live w/ 5". Why does Specialized not list rear travel in their '09 catalog?

Marty said nothing about your queery. How often do manufacturer's offer different travel lengths?

'10 may mark the start of the mass-production/mass-acceptance 650B avalance...maybe by 2015 29ers will be history & 26 will be relegated to the sub-$1500-2000 range.

My 2 kopacts.

I was ambivalent about riding today because when I finally got out the clouds were heavy & it had cooled vs. earlier. But it was great, cooler, pedaled to within 106 walking steps of the summit before loosing traction (previous best was 116 steps). It's hard to beat this hobby.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    do you have a link to the video?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    no. just search at you tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey Guys,
    I thought I would get in on this as it is something that I am really excited about and glad to see that you guys are too. Sorry I haven't been on the forum as much lately.. just not enough time in the day!

Anyway, 650B! I am a fan! I can't let to much out yet, as we will have our release in July.

But for 2010, we will be offering a 5" travel platform, there will be more then one model . The main reason we went with 5" is because we felt this was great travel for a trail bike. We tested many different travel options and felt 5" was the best.

I have been riding a 650B, 5" bike for about a year now and I love it. The larger wheels let you roll through stuff, but you can still jump it and carves turns hard! Its a fun bike for sure!

Hope I answered some questions and here is a link to the video...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...rototype-21403
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the link. I think you guy's made a good judgement on the 650B, I have been riding 26", & 29" bike. I have to say that I just can't get into the groove with a 29" but there are definite adv's of the 29". That said I feel more at home on the 26". I feel that a 650B would be perfect. I was thinking of converting my present bike to a 650B, but could only do the front. I was waiting for more companies to jump in, & I definetly will be looking at the Jamis 650B!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Any Pic's Available? I have seen a pic of their 2010 cat. looks like a 650A/650B

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Oh man, I thought I was just getting to learn the lingo...what the heck is 650A? Sometimes the lingo associated w/ hobbies could drive a person to drink...(hopefully) protein shakes that is!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Jamis is specing a bike with 650b wheels! Its between a 26-29 wheel size. You get the best of bothe worlds. I hope the tire co's jump in?

Members who have read this thread: 0