2005 Jamis Dakar Expert - cracket pivot & carbon stay- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well 2005 Jamis Dakar Expert - cracket pivot & carbon stay

Well I bought a used 05 Dakar Expert this winter and this past weekend was the 1st time I was able to get out and ride. 10 to 12 miles of mud, hills, roots and rocks at 6 mile reservoir in central NJ. What and awesome time. Sunday I was giving the bike a bath and noticed some paint chipping on the lower main pivot. It seems that the pivot is cracked thought on the non drive side. Then when putting on the rear wheel I noticed that the wheel seemed to have alot of side to side play. What has happened is that the aluminum pivot on the carbon stay is loose. It slides in and out, epoxy/glue must of let loose. Now what!

Does Jamis have replacement parts that can be purchased? I don't think that they will honor the warrany since I am not the original owner. This really sucks!

Everything that I read about Jamis is the great customer service. Anyone dealt with Jamis on used bikes?

Thanks
    Todd

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi mate

No idea of a fix but i've got an 05 Dakar that has a dented front triangle under the down tube which i suspect will fold soon - hopefully not when i'm on it.

So, you've got a shithouse rear triangle and I've got a shithouse front triangle.

If your bike is terminal and you can't get it fixed, i'd be interested in picking up the front triangle from you if it were a 19' and you open to the idea. Alternatively, you might be interested in the transaction going the other way??

just an idea if you can't get a decent fix...

cheers

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Might be fixable if you can find a good frame repairer, have a look through these galleries of frame repairs:

Shock Mount Repairs: http://www.gripsport.com.au/bike_main.php?part=bike_gallery&galID=18

Swingarm, Seat Stay & Chainstay Repairs: http://www.gripsport.com.au/bike_main.php?part=bike_gallery&galID=10

Bottom Bracket Area Repairs: http://www.gripsport.com.au/bike_main.php?part=bike_gallery&galID=11

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Submitted to claim to Jamis under warranty

Well I submitted a this to Jamis to cover it under warranty. My brother works at a bike shop that is a jamis dealer and he contacted them. They said to take picture of the damage. My bother sent this all to them and it has been about 3 weeks since he contacted them with all the info and we still have not heard any new. He is going to try and contact them again this week. I really would like to go out and ride, just dont want to do anymore damge to the frame.

Todd

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    I am a Jamis dealer also, make sure you contacted the warrenty manager and not the customer service rep. There is another rider with a dislocated exile frame that had a problem until I contacted the manager for him, 2weeks later he got a new bike. Jamis is a great company, they just want to see people riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0