'10 "SixFifty B1", "SixFifty B2"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

'10 "SixFifty B1", "SixFifty B2"

Last I heard, ETA for the FS 5" travel 650b is Jan/Feb. Any updates?

YouTube has a brief video of the prototype appearance at 2009 Sea Otter, w/ Craig from Jamis.

IMO the '10 Jamis FS 650b & similar '10 Haro "Sonix 650b" will be two of the hottest 2010 models.
    Last edited by ro7939; 08-05-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com High End Audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2010 Jamis SixFifty B2

Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    Last I heard, ETA for the FS 5" travel 650b is Jan/Feb. Any updates?

YouTube has a brief video of the prototype appearance at 2009 Sea Otter, w/ Craig from Jamis.

I'm guessing it will be called simply a "Dakar 650b", seeing as it appears to be a Dakar XCT3 modded for 650b. IMO this & the similar 2010 Haro "Sonix 650b" will be two of the hottest 2010 models.

Hi, My name is Rob and I work for Jamis Bicycles. The new 2010 Jamis SixFifty B1 and SixFifty B2 are due to be available mid november. Dealers started taking orders on August 1st. More info coming soon.
    Best, Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rvanderveur; 08-05-2009 at 04:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow! Jamis isn't pulling any punches with this one! Sick!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Rob
    Bless your little heart for your welcome post. I am concerned only w/ the more/most costly version. From the variable seat post pictured in the B2, would we be correct in assuming the B2 is more costly?

Praytell, if you would further grace us, what is B2 MSRP in USD? Might we be pushing our luck too far by requesting a comprehensive build kit? Especially interested in F/R travel & whether the fork has fixed or variable travel ala '09 Dakar XCT3?

(As an aside, from all my reading, IMHO the 650b wheelset will put the nail in the coffin of the soon-to-be-short-lived 29er & 96er phenomena; 650b may even relegate 26ers to only the sub-$1500 market.) My final request (for now) is the geometry for the largest frame.

Good on ya, mate! Hoping all the best for Jamis' & their early FS 650b bike.
    jimbo

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Nice!

Rob,

You guys nailed it with this one, great job! I like the name and it's play on the "B"... this bike certainly looks as tough as a B2 Bomber! I will be anxiously awaiting the ride reports for this bike.

Cheers,

KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 08-05-2009 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'll change the title of the thread. Ditto Kirk.

I'm glad I didn't put down a deposit on the Haro because I pefer the Jamis' look. I can only assume the Haro is solid, but am not as confident in its shortened seat post horizontally braced/gusseted to the down tube rather than the more common connection to the BB as per Jamis.

Hopping Jamis offers the Dakar XCT3's variable fork travel; the variable seat post is killer. This appears to be worth whatever will be its extra cost over the Haro.

Plus there's always the name connection...

Too bad we'll have snow on the ground in No. Utah by the ETA. Guess I'll have to budget a trip south to Moab this winter!
    jimbo

Witty McWitterson
    As is standard for Jamis nomenclature, the higher the number, the higher the spec. This would put this as the 'nice' bike. The b1 is probably SLX spec, and in the $1800/$2k range. This is probably near $2500/$2800.

And your surmising that 650-B will take over the MTB world is as ridiculous as the 29" zealots claiming the same for 29ers. Ain't gonna happen.

That being said, I'll be putting an XL B1 on my preorder list....[yes, I'm a dealer].
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2010 Jamis SixFifty B2

Rob here from Jamis with a touch more info on the SixFifty B2.

The SixFifty B1 is a lower price model. Price to come shortly. The B2 is the the premier model that we are offering.

The B2 is Black anodized which looks very stunning in person. We are using a beautiful new stainless steel head tube badge on many of the bikes now. The travel is 130mm (5.1") front and rear. White Brothers Fluid 130 650B fork which I must say, performs beyond my expectations, not that I had low expectations, but I've been riding Fox forks for the past.....many years. Both models utilize 20mm TA on the front.

Obviously, I can't offer an un-biased opinion of the bike but I have to say, it simply rocks!
    Spins up like a 26'er and rolls like a 29'er, handles like it's on a rail and pedals like mad. You simply have to ride it for your self. and comes in 13", 15", 17" 19" and 21" frame sizes!
    I have to say, I rode a XCT 3 back to back with the SixFifty B2 and both are exceptionally great handling bikes, the XCT felt a touch more nimble in the tight stuff but not quite as fast as the B2, However, both are very stable. But given the smaller wheel being a little stronger It can probably handle catching air a little better....maybe....Just my opinion. And not that I catch sick air on my trail bikes.....

Frame kit's will be available, not sure exactly when at the moment. The SixFifty B2 frame kit will be Frame, Shock, Head Set, seat collar and Fork. All other frame kits are Frame, shock and seat collar and head set.

Here is the 2010 XCT 3

More info to come.....

RVV
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey Guys!

Glad that you like our new 650B and I have to say my "baby". I love this bike and this has been something that we have been working on for almost 2 years now! We have finally been able to get the parts that we needed to make this bike and make this bike well, fun and RAD! White Brothers stepped up with a fork that we feel is great, its got a lot of adjustability and tuning options, is stiff and works in all conditions. American Classic came through with a fast, solid, bombproof wheel set and Kenda (as well as WTB and Kirk!!) all came in with great rubber choices. Without Kirks progress, I dont think 650 would be where it is! So thanks Kirk!
    I really have to say, the 650B bike has been so much fun to ride, I recently spent some time in Northern California riding in Downieville. D-Ville has some of the best trails in the US and the 650B proved to be more then up to the challenge of the technical terrain and epic rides!
    Like I said, I have been on this bike for over a year, while most of the miles have been on the east coast I have spent time out west and this bike is handling it all!
    If any of you are heading to Interbike be sure to stop by the Jamis booth at Dirt Demo, introduce yourself and take a 650B for a ride! Your going to dig it!

Thanks for the support guys!

Craig "Skippy" Hoyt
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    ...And your surmising that 650-B will take over the MTB world is as ridiculous as the 29" zealots claiming the same for 29ers. Ain't gonna happen...
    The truth is the future is unknown & unknowable.

Please correct if necessary: when the guys in Marin County (I used to live there) invented this sport, the ONLY reason 26 was employed rather than 650b was that wide 650b rims & tires did not exist.

IMO the sum total reason for 29 was to fulfill marketing purposes. The fact that 96ers appeared is reasonable proof that 29" wheels have performance related drawbacks. I've never ridden 650b, but ride reports from apparently nuetral sources who own &/or have ridden top bikes of every philosophy, swear by 650b & report it has the advantages of 26 & 29 & the disadvantage of neither.

I suppose, for catching air, DH & such, maybe 26 will remain king.

The evolution of street motorcycle wheel sizing: for a few decades prior to about '83 wheels were front 19, rears either 17 or 18. From about '83-'88 high performance Japanese bikes employed 16 front & rear. By the late-80s early 90s 17" front/rear appeared & they've never looked back. The universal standard for street wheels has been 17 ever since (I've read of 16.5 in pure race bikes but have little info on this). It's interesting that in the motorcycle world, they started kinda large, worked down to too small, then clicked up one notch & found nirvana. Apparently the bike world is getting to the same conclusion but from the opposite direction: started small, jumped up a bit too large, then backed down a notch.

So, it's not too far fetched to surmise that indeed a wheel sized exactly between 26 & 29 would or could become the industry standard, except for lower priced MTB were cost is more critical.

The more there is a price penalty to 650b the more likely will 26 remain the standard.
    Last edited by ro7939; 08-05-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    jimbo

mtbr member
    proportions look great on the b2 - not the "punched in the nose" look of many 29er duallies.

what's the head angle? similar frame dimensions to the XCT?

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939
    conspiracy theories.
    This has been gone over way too much on the interwebs. There are far more 26" bikes produced than both 29" and 650b combined. You can think all you want about domination of alternate wheel sizes, but its just not going to happen. 29 and 650 will always remain nothing but options.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    29 and 650 will always remain nothing but options.
    Far far superior options! [ducks]

Witty McWitterson
    Hay! I never denied that! Sh!t, I've been on a 29"er since 1999. I'm sold on big wheels, no doubt.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Here is a quick write up I did after riding the new 650b.

Last week I had an opportunity to ride the new Jamis 650b bike. If you are not aware of 650b, it is slightly bigger than 26, but not as large as 29. I have riden a few 29ers and will tell you that I have no interest in them. This is for my riding style, I find them sluggish in and out of turns and the angles are just funky to me. Add in trying to make a 29er a full suspension bike and that will throw it off even more. I know a lot of you guys out there love them, again this is for what I look for. I had never riden a 650b, but the sizing seemed to make a lot more sense to me that a 29er.

My first impression was that the bike did sit a little higher than my 26inch Chumba XCL, but once on it and pedaling around on the road it actually felt very similar to my XCL (I love my bike). The ride to the SMBA trails is road and then a dirt road, this was effortless, the bike just cruised but I guess that is to be expected, I would probably like the 29er for that part as well.

First trail we hit was to ride up the hill from the clearing and onto Pulaski, this a very rocky technical trail with some very tight turns, a few short steep climbs and quick chute to the finish. I was concerned with the turns, I was setting up for them too early in anticipation of the bike turning slow, it did not. I am not sure of the head angle, my XCL is 69, this bike is probably about a 68. It turned just like my XCL, quick and responsive. From there it was onto The Bee trail, Ridgeline, Highnoon and then Damn trail. The bike did everything I asked it to, climbed up everything and rolled like a dream through the rough stuff. It was pretty hot that day so I think the bike took some of the pressure off and made the ride a little easier throughout the ride.

Of course this bike was stacked with high end components:
    White Brothers Fork (sucked, very sticky and harsh)
    XO shifters and der. (it's XO, need I say more)
    Avid Elixer CR brakes (plenty of power and modulation)
    Crank Brothers seat post (adjustable)
    Kenda Nevegal tires (my personal favorites for SMBA)

I was told the fork takes 20 hours of riding to break in, I do not understand that as my Fox Float was amazing from day one. 650b is new so there are not a lot of choices out there.

Overall this bike was great, I have owned a Giant VT, 2007 Jamis XAM, and now a the Chumba Racing XCL for full suspension trail bikes. I have ridden a Giant Trance, Transition Covert, Scott Ransom. This bike is probably one of the top 2 or 3. It would take a lot to top my Chumba XCL, but it was real close.

If I were in the market for a 29er full suspension, I would definitely consider this bike. It is not a XC race bike, not a all mountain, more of a trail bike but with bigger wheels that do not throw off the geometry.

Great job on this one Skip.
    Last edited by batts65; 08-17-2009 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    batts
    Would you be so kind as to post the article here? Looks like only registered users may read your post at the link.

I did not want to be one of the unlucky suckers wanting a new FS 650b mass-produced bike that I predict will be sold out at the beginning of the '10 season next year (only Jamis & Haro so far have made this commitment to 650b). So I ordered the Haro after carefully considering price & the fact that the Jamis seems a little closer to a mid-duty AM ride, while I seem to need something closer to a heavy XC.

Both Haro & Jamis are on the cutting edge & both deseve our admiration & support for their investment.
    jimbo

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This has been gone over way too much on the interwebs. There are far more 26" bikes produced than both 29" and 650b combined. You can think all you want about domination of alternate wheel sizes, but its just not going to happen. 29 and 650 will always remain nothing but options.
    The above info concerning #s of bike in production by wheelsize is pretty irrelevent right now because there were no 650b MTB tires till just a few years ago. I have marketing & manufacturing experience (not in bicylces); from my extensive reading but admittedly brief MTB experience 29 is/was almost exlusively marketing driven & of minimal relation to pure performance advantage.

In the mid-late 80s all Japanese HP street motorcycles were 16" exclusively; now every single pure-street-bike-only employs 17" universally; can't think of one exception to this hard rule (notice the qualification; I've owned about 70 motorcycles).

So again, we are back to the adage, the future is unknown & unknowable. But it could happen that 650b becomes universal except for MTB priced below a threshold necessary to cover the 650b's extra cost vs. 26. I estimate that cost for a complete bike to be about $1500 USD MSRP after some time goes by & the 650b thang catches on in a big way.

I intend to show up at the local MTB hotspots & let people take mine for a short spin.

Good on ya Jamis!
    jimbo

mtbr member
    I would not label the Jamis a AM bike, more of a trail/marathon category bike. Too many categories on bikes: XC, trail, AM, FR, DH....

Jamis markets the XCT as more of a Trail bike and XAM as an AM bike. The 650 is a based on the XCT chassis so I would say more of a trail bike.

I like to ride my bike.
    Props to Jamis for doing this. I may be interested.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

gears weigh too much
    Is that a 650B or 26?
    The mavis wheels, geax tires, and fox fork make me think 26 but all the talk is about 650B.
    So which is it?

banned
    Sep 2008

nice ride!

Quote Originally Posted by rvanderveur
    Hi, My name is Rob and I work for Jamis Bicycles. The new 2010 Jamis SixFifty B1 and SixFifty B2 are due to be available mid november. Dealers started taking orders on August 1st. More info coming soon.
    Best, Rob
    spent the day tuesday riding the new sixfifty b2. nice ride. lots of bob when pedaling compared to lots of bikes out there imho, but what fun i had on it. pretty much handled everything i threw it at. loves to be loaded and launched.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Bob?

Hey Rog,

The bike was bobbing? Did you adjust the shock? The GATE on the RS shock work really well and the bike really doesn't have any bob to it, that we have noticed.

If you have the chance to ride it again please let me know what you think after playing with the GATE. If you need or want any help please feel free to contact me and I will give ya a call.

Glad that you liked how the bike handled though

Skip

Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    spent the day tuesday riding the new sixfifty b2. nice ride. lots of bob when pedaling compared to lots of bikes out there imho, but what fun i had on it. pretty much handled everything i threw it at. loves to be loaded and launched.

rog
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hey Rog,

The bike was bobbing? Did you adjust the shock? The GATE on the RS shock work really well and the bike really doesn't have any bob to it, that we have noticed.

If you have the chance to ride it again please let me know what you think after playing with the GATE. If you need or want any help please feel free to contact me and I will give ya a call.

Skip
    the bike was ridden for about 5 hours in a photo shoot. i'm 165lbs and the other 2 guys are 200+ and i pumped up the shock more for their weight. i did not play with the gate though. there were a few other bikes used in the shoot so we were swapping bikes back and forth at each location, well, we rode from location to location via singletrack while the photogs would walk and drive. great set up really. the 3 of us were kinda fighting for who got to ride the jamis, good thing they couldn't catch me. LOL!

killer bike. i'll play with gate next time.

rog

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hey Rog,

Skip
    Craig,

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when I read rog's post. I am sure it's a shock set up issue.

Cheers,

KP

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anybody know the MSRP for the frame kits? I'm definitely interested in getting mine, but I'd like to spec it with some of my own components...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    650b is just a killer idea the bikes just look better proportioned than a 29r, please tell me jamis is planning a 650b hardtail? please?

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by rvanderveur
    Best, Rob
    that is so boss!

Members who have read this thread: 0