07 XAM with longer rear travel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

07 XAM with longer rear travel?

I have been chatting to a friend about extending the rear travel of his Giant Reign by changing the shock from a 2" to 2.25" stroke, which we have found some people have done with great results.

This got me thinking about my 07 XAM 1. I found that the 07 XAM has 130mm travel, a 2.25" stroke shock with a 2.33 leverage ratio but the 08 model had increased rear travel to 140mm still using the 2.25" shock stroke but it had an increased ratio to 2.63. So I assume the only change would be that the 08 has a longer swing arm to reduce the shock ratio.

Any ideas if the rear swing link could be upgraded on the 07 XAM to add some extra travel? I would be thinking the 08 swing arm can't be used as it now has 10mm bolts instead of 8mm. What about fabricating a slightly longer link?

mtbr member
    You must be happy with your 07XAM. less leverage ratio mean less pressure and more expanded range of adjustments.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am happy with it, yes. But I think there is more potential lurking within.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdook
    I am happy with it, yes. But I think there is more potential lurking within.
    Well, probably, the longer link will be work as you think. Measure the sizes and make your own. But i can't say more to you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anyone with an 08 XAM able to measure the swing link and post the dimensions for me?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Take a look at the 08, the Seatstay and Bell Cranks are different. Also notice the Bottom Bracket/ Down Tube/ Seat Tube junction is also quite different. I think you will find the Bell Crank mount on the Down Tube is located closer to the Cranks allowing a shorter Bell Crank, hense the upside down mounting of the DHX 5.0. There are so many upgrades you could do that would be worthwhile. Thomson parts, better wheelset, you could pull a couple pounds easy off the bike and end up with an improvement is handling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I see where you are coming from with that. The front shock mount is much higher up the down tube. I was aware of the different rear triangle around the seatstay and chainstay area, but didn't notice that the downtube/seattube are was different.
    I am not into removing weight too much, but more about increasing the travel a bit.
    Any thoughts on having a slightly longer and stronger bell crank made for a slight travel increase?

Members who have read this thread: 0