07 XAM front derailleur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

07 XAM front derailleur

Do any of the other XAM owners out there have a front derailleur cable that rubs on the bellcrank for the rear suspension?

Mine rubs with the factory high clamp top pull Deore and I would like to upgrade to stop this happening. I am in the process of upgrading the shifters and rear derailleur to X9 and am considering changing the front to X9 but I think I will have the same problem. Seems the Deore cable bolt sits too far out from the seat tube causing the cable to be on a large angle, thus rubbing the suspension link.

Picture attached for your help. Click the initial picture to zoom.

https://img265.imageshack.us/i/img0013e.jpg/
    https://img31.imageshack.us/i/img0012mwp.jpg/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looking at your picture, i'd have to say that the problem is not the derailleur, but that the housing stop was welded on in the wrong spot. Yours was welded off towards the drive side of the seat tube, when it should be in the center. I've attached photo of my '07 XAM that shows this. Not sure if a Sram front derailleur would be any better, but only one way to find out I suppose. Is it interfering with the shifting perfomance, creating excessive wear on the cable, or even putting a groove in the bell crank itself? If so, I would find out when the Jamis rep is going to stop be the shop next, and show it to him/her and see if it is something they might consider warrantying.
    Hope this helps, and good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wow, there is a huge difference in the location of my cable stop compared to yours.

I haven't checked to see if the rubbing is wearing at the cable or bellcrank yet, but it is not affecting shifting performance.

It only appears to rub when the suspension is not compressed at all. As soon as I get on the bike and the suspension sags, the cable has some clearance between itself and the bellcrank.

If there is only minimal rub on the cable I won't bother with a warranty claim, but if there is wear on the bellcrank then I will be taking it in for a fix.

mtbr member
    sorry it took me so long to reply.i did get your message.i havent had any issue with mine so far,ill have to double check which front derailer i have.
    08 jamis dakar xam-1
    08 trek 4300 disc h/t
    riding is freedom

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    On my 21" XAM the cable touches the bell crank, and seat stay. Only when the susp. is topped put, no sag. As soon as I sit on it, the cable clears.
    My buddys 17" has tons of room. the cable stop is in the same in place in relation to the top tube on both bikes. but on my big frame, that puts the cable stop a lot farther from the derailer. both are 07 XAM 2

I put a piece of shrink tube over my cable, so its rubber on metal.

I only have 70 miles on mine and LOVE it!!!
    Good luck and good day!!
    AK

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Mine seems to have the same problem as yours. With sag it doesn't rub, so I'm not too worried.

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with the Jamis love.

Members who have read this thread: 0