07 Jamis Komodo...considering 1x8 conversion...anyone done it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

07 Jamis Komodo...considering 1x8 conversion...anyone done it?

I have a 07 Jamis Komodo that I got last summer. Having some problems with an annoying chain "skip" issue. It shifts gears up and down smoothly...but the chain will kind of "skip" on the rear cog whenever I pedal hard. It doesn't skip gears usually, but it is more of a hop on the same gear and is really annoying.

Took it to a LBS and a guy pointed out that the bigger chain wheel was bent a bit and I did my best to straighten it out...but I still have the problem. He went over both deraileurs to tune them in the best but it still skips.

Since I'm probably going to buy a new chain wheel I'm really considering just ditching the front deraileur and smal chain wheel and running a 1x8 setup.

Just wondering if anyone has done this on their Jamis. Will all I need to buy is a chainwheel and some sort of inner chain guide? Not sure if I will need to do anything with the rear deraileur and chain....

really interested in seeing some other Jamis 1x8 setups!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyortom
    I have a 07 Jamis Komodo that I got last summer. Having some problems with an annoying chain "skip" issue. It shifts gears up and down smoothly...but the chain will kind of "skip" on the rear cog whenever I pedal hard. It doesn't skip gears usually, but it is more of a hop on the same gear and is really annoying.

Took it to a LBS and a guy pointed out that the bigger chain wheel was bent a bit and I did my best to straighten it out...but I still have the problem. He went over both deraileurs to tune them in the best but it still skips.

Since I'm probably going to buy a new chain wheel I'm really considering just ditching the front deraileur and smal chain wheel and running a 1x8 setup.

Just wondering if anyone has done this on their Jamis. Will all I need to buy is a chainwheel and some sort of inner chain guide? Not sure if I will need to do anything with the rear deraileur and chain....

really interested in seeing some other Jamis 1x8 setups!
    Your drivetrain is worn out dude. You need a new chain, cassette and chainrings. (or ring if you go 1x8)

Here's my 1x9:

I've been using the Blackspire Blackguard inner guide ring as a "chain sandwich" for a while now:

Here it is on my previous build ('04 Komodo):

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    When your chain, cassette, or chainrings get worn out...the chain skips a tooth. It "walks forward" under hard pedaling.

If you only change one of the 3...you will either wear out the new component at an extremely fast rate, or it will still skip. I tried putting a new chain on a worn out cassette and the results were alarming. It skipped more than ever.

Just go to Pricepoint SOON before "The Big Sale" is over and buy a new cassette, chain, and a chainring. Then Google "Blackspire Blackguard" and get one of those for $24.95. Ditch the front derailleur, shifter, and cable. You instantly lose like 1/2lb and gain a more slick looking and simplistic ride that covers the most important range of gears.

Note: You will wear out your chain faster with a 1x8 b/c your climbing will be done at a harsher chainline instead of having the granny in line with the big cogs.

My friend (and another dude I've talked to) have the N-Gear Jumpstop. It works fairly well, but on occasion the chain will go between the jumpstop and chainring and get stuck under it. It's a pain in the butt getting it back past the jumpstop and back on the chainring. It's happened to my friend over 1/2 dz times. My Blackguard has NEVER allowed the chain to come off my front ring. I'm HUGE into the Blackguard.

AAMOF...I'm gonna order another one just in case they quit making them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The bike is an 07 but I just got it last June and really haven't rode it that much...rode it for the rest of the summer and put it away during most of fall and winter and just got the bike back out in the spring. is my stuff still worn out?

Either way I will probably just buy a new cassette, chain and chain ring....and one of those blackspire inner guards. any recommendation for a new chainring???

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's possible...especially

-if you don't clean/lube after or before every ride
    -if you're a bigger dude like me
    -if you have poor shifting habits (gear choice, ie...cross-chaining)

Could be something else though. 1x9 (1x8 for you) is still the bomb though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    It's possible...especially

-if you don't clean/lube after or before every ride
    -if you're a bigger dude like me
    -if you have poor shifting habits (gear choice, ie...cross-chaining)

Could be something else though. 1x9 (1x8 for you) is still the bomb though.
    bike hasn't even seen mud since i've had it and definitely is adequately greased. im about 175 so hopefully that isn't too heavy. and im not sure of my shifting habits but i really only ride in the 4-5 highest gears. haven't really done any trail or hill climbing since i've had the bike.

looks like this is going to be a fun project. went to ride today and now the bike won't even shift off of the first small chainring!!! i guess i learned the hard way that "you get what you pay for".

going to be ordering all the parts soon...any recommendation for a new chainwheel and cog to pickup? im going to pickup that blackspire inner guard for sure and probably a new chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    just got all the new parts delivered. the blackguard piece rubs against my frame! the frame is 7005 Aluminum...should I be able to "dent" it in a little bit to give the bashguard enough clearance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    also...what is the rule of thumb for chain length..i got a new chain in and am wondering how it is supposed to be sized for my 1x8 setup?

dude
    Without going through your derailleurs, run it through big chain ring and big cassette cog, then add 2 links.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    As far as I know Tommyortom, the 2007 and my 2005 are the same frame except for the seat tube diameter. I have room to spare on my '05 for the Blackguard. I even moved my crankset inward 2.5mm to get a straighter chainline for the 1x9. You could do one of 2 things:

1. try shaving the Blackguard down a smidge (if that's all you need for clearance)
    2. PM me and sell it to me, hahaha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyortom
    looks like this is going to be a fun project. went to ride today and now the bike won't even shift off of the first small chainring!!! i guess i learned the hard way that "you get what you pay for"
    This to me sounds more like a "cable stretch" issue. If you can't shift out of the small chainring, tighten the cable via the barrel adjuster.

On your orig. post, you mentioned a bent ring...that will cause a chain skip feel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    id like to keep this blackguard part...ive heard great reviews about it and that it makes it virtually impossible for the chain to fall off, where the n gear sometimes doesnt work...

but ive been calling around to bike shops and no one seems to have a BB wider than the 113mm that is already on my bike.

im not sure what i do modify on the blackguard piece to make it fit either, and id rather give the n-gear piece a shot than to modify my frame since that seems to be a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    On my first build with the Blackguard, it was a little tight. I took a dremel and a grinding wheel and spun the crank...I reduced the OS diameter about 1mm or so. I ground it angled from the inside out to follow the angle of the chainstay. (beveled)

I'm running a Hollowtech II crankset, so I can move spacers around as I please. Mine is actually 2.5mm more inward (blackguard closer to frame) than the std setup b/c I get a more centered chainline this way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    picked up a brand new shimano hone FC-M600 crankset for 95 shipped! cant wait for it to get here so i can get this thing going. i think im going to also try to sell the 3 chainrings that it comes with since i wont be using them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    nice deal on that crankset. You probably already know this, but make sure the ring you place is in the middle position of the three possible. I promise you, you'll like a single ring up front

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan97
    nice deal on that crankset. You probably already know this, but make sure the ring you place is in the middle position of the three possible. I promise you, you'll like a single ring up front
    yup. outer bash, blackspire mono ring, blackguard. hope it clears my chainstay!

Members who have read this thread: 0