05 Jamis Komodo 1.0, any good?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

05 Jamis Komodo 1.0, any good?

Found a guy localy who's selling an unridden, still boxed up 05 Komodo 1.0 for $400. Anyone have experience with this bike?

It has a few components that I've never heard of, like a 130mm Suntour Durashock fork, Textro Aquila discs, and Alex DP20 rims, any info on these? The fram looks like a tank, is it pretty solid?

I also can't find a geo chart for this? Is the frame the same geo as the 09's?

Nothing really flashy, but it seems like a great deal, maybe throw on a domain(the 2.0 that year was speced with a 120-150mm fork) and a LOCO wheelset and have a kick ass $950 hardtail.

So, should I inquire further, or not?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    When you consider the advances in technology...I'd say it's probably "fair" but not a "great deal". It's pretty-much an entry level trail bike with some attitude.

Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front suspension
    Sugg Retail $729.95
    Weight 32.75
    Sizes 14", 16.5", 18.5"
    Colors Silver

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material 7005 aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model SR Duro D, 130mm travel
    Fork Material Aluminum/magnesium, single crown
    Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
    Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Tektro Aquila mechanical disc brakes, Tektro RT 354A front/Tektro RT354A rear levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Alivio
    Front Derailleur SRAM X.7, top-pull/clamp-on 31.8mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Crankset TruVativ Hussefelt, 26/36 teeth
    Pedals Aluminum platform
    Bottom Bracket TruVativ ISIS DH, 113mm spindle
    BB Shell Width 68mm English
    Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
    Chain Shimano CN-HG73, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Aluminum micro-adjust, 27.2mm diameter
    Saddle WTB Power V
    Handlebar Aluminum
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Aluminum
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Tien Hsin

Wheels
    Hubs Formula
    Rims Alex DP-20, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.30" Hutchinson Spider
    Spoke Brand WTB stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm) straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

mtbr member
    I have a 07 3.0 that I built up from the frame so its not the same componets but I think its the same frame as the 05.I love the geometry.Climbs great as well as goes downhill great.For the money I would get it and upgrade as you wear/tear stuff up.Its a tough frame.
    2016 Intense spider/Recluse build
    2015 Jamis komodo
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    +1 on the frame rockin' the house, man. I've actually got a 2005 frame that I built myself:

I'm loving it so far.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    When you consider the advances in technology...I'd say it's probably "fair" but not a "great deal". It's pretty-much an entry level trail bike with some attitude.
    I figured that with an entry level aluminum hardtail, there really wouldn't be many advances in technology. I'd be swapping out the fork for sure, and probably wheels, most of the other components haven't changed much, right?

For reference, what size are you running and how tall are you

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 6'1.5" and I'm riding an 18.5" frame.

If I were using it for just Freeride and "fun stuff" I'd be on a 16.5-17"...but I ride mine on the trail more than I do the other stuff.

I'm more into top tube measurements anyways. I'd go around 23-24" ETT for my riding and comfort.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just got the 2005 16.5 frame and love it. quailty seems good with stock componets but your gonna want to upgrade later. great frame. I'd say go for it

mtbr member
    I am 5"11 and also ride a 18.5 fits me well.
    2016 Intense spider/Recluse build
    2015 Jamis komodo
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the help guys, means a lot.

I hopped on my old bike w/ a 17 in seattube, and figured out that at about 230mm seatpost extention, I had to rock my hips. So by my math, I'd only need under 250mm on a 16.5 frame, give or take 15mm. So with a 410 thompson, I'd still have an extra 45mm of buffer seatpost. Correct?

By my measurements, I've got a 33.5 in or 85cm inseam

419mm (seattube) + 310 (seatpost) + 175 (cranks) + 20 (seat+rails+clamp underestimated) - 15 (shoe height- generous) = 909 so 55mm of growth room

Think I'm gonna go for it

Edit: I like the shorter top tube feel, so I think 23.4 oughta be nice

May 2008
    I just got one about a month ago. 2005 new in the box. I have only taken it to the trails three times, but it has handled and held together in double black diamond trails, still stock. The frame is STRONG! Good luck and hope this helps.

Feb 2004
    400 bucks for a unridden jamis komodo is an ok deal, def will want to change the fork as soon as you get a chance, but th rest of the parts will get you by no prob, just replace as u break

i also have an 05 Komodo kickin around at a hair over 29 pounds.... with a Nixon on the front of it, and actually was quite surprised by the Nixon... i picked it up from Jensonusa for 220 bucks for the 20mm 06 brand new, and for the price it is killer, i'm running my Komodo as more of my XC/AM light FR rig got the biggest one avaiable as i'm 6"3-6"4 and want it to be as comftorable as possible for climbing! far contrast from being my height on a Medium cannondale Perp for fr/dh lol

getter dude, you'll have fun with it!

Members who have read this thread: 0