mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Upgrading Maverick 4.2 rear shock?

I currently have an Iron Horse Maverick 4.2. The rear shock is fairly small and short; so I tightened it up so that it wouldn't bottom out so much. Does anybody have this problem? I am planning on upgrading the spring or buying a whole new rear shock that has longer travel but is still soft and squishy without bottoming out. Does anyone have some recommendations as to what shock would fit best and preform to what I am looking for? I am hoping to not spend over $100 for a new shock or spring. Please let me know, thanks!

-Tyler

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Alright, let me re-word it a little.

What I am looking for is possibly a longer spring to substitute the current Tough Shock FD 600. I found a 6 3/4" spring on ebay and am thinking about taking the 3 1/2" Tough Shock out and swapping the Fox 600 6 3/4" spring in. Do you think it will fit? It's hard to replace the rear shock due to the bike geometry and limited amount of space or play to work with. Can anyone help me? Would pics be more helpful? Please let me know!

kovacs2121
    Feb 2008

4.2 rear shock

Hi, yeah actually i just got a fox 550 rear shock which is the 6 3/4 inch spring on ebay for $20. it fits on the tough shock fine and also works great. I am 6'2" and 175 and its perfect so i think if your a little lighter it would be great for either of you.

Besides that does any one have any thoughts on the 4.2 maverick? what do you think about it? i bought it for the frame mainly. it seems theres not much about it so it would be great to get some other opinions

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do you know who you bought it from on ebay? Was it just the spring? And you're sure it fits? Do you have any pictures of it, I would really appreciate some if you could get them!

Overall, since I was on a budget (need $ for car insurance) I opted for the 4.2 Maverick. The tires could be a little more aggressive, the brakes work good if you get them tuned right and put the pads a hair width away from the rotor. The shifters are great and you can use the little knob on the back of the rear dérailleur to dial it in for cleaner shifts which is what I had to do to mine. The Rock Shox Dart 1 is a great shock with preload/rebound adjust so its hard to bottom it out. However, as previously stated, upgrading the rear shock is basically a must. Good luck with your decision!

kovacs2121
    Feb 2008

reply to last shock question

heres the link to the shock i bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=001

I had to compress mine a little to fit on the tough shock thread but it works. if your going to buy one just make sure that you dont have to compress it more than about a 1/2 inch then it might give you some trouble. at the moment there are a few other springs alone on ebay. i would suggest the fox though, even though the tough shock spring says 600 it's cheap and nont all that great so a 550 fox one is nice because its better steel.

but so far i have added a 2008 suntour durolux fork (very hard to get for some reason but if you want a quality inexpensive long adjustable travel fork it the best, don't mind the name) ($100 on ebay 180mm travel )
    and also a FSA afterburner xtreme crank with bash guard ($110 on ebay new) great on this frame also
    and hayes hydaulic brakes (cheap but good)
    the HB mx4 brakes are good stock but get squeaky in water.

If you get this bike replace :

rear spring, CRANK (imeadiately), and brakes if you don't like the noise. but a great frame.
    ALSO IF YOU BUY THIS BIKE NEW REGISTER IT
    IronHorse made bad welds on this frame and if it breaks send pics to the company and they instantly send you a new yakuza frame ($800 frame)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks man, really appreciate it! I already have the bike (bought it last summer). Why do you recommend replacing the crank? Mine seems to be alright for now.

The new Fox spring - do you happen to know the length? Isn't it 6 3/4 or something? And once installed, the eyelets mount right back to the original mounting points?

Never heard of your new fork, I'll have to check it out and do some research. 180mm of travel would sure be nice!

I know the welds have been known to be bad on these bikes but never thought of registering it. It would sure save the hassle if something does go wrong later on. Heck, a free frame would be sweet too seeing as how I noticed a 2" gash on my downtube right down to the bare metal.

If you get a minute, could you just check out these ebay links and verify that they will fit? It would really help me out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3D4%26ps%3D42

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fox-Racing-Shox-...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm leaning towards the first link as its cheaper with a higher weigh rating and I think if I were the buy the one in the second link which is rated at 350, it will be too light and soft.

kovacs2121
    Feb 2008

4.2 reply

the first link for the spring there would be perfect a good buy it now price too. i'm not so sure on that second one.

and i don't know what crank came on yours but mine had a sr suntour crank (they make great forks and rear shocks but not cranks). on mine the crank arm bolts stripped on my first 2 small to medium dirt jumps and yeah so had to replace it. i suggest a fsa or raceface.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks again! I might jump on the one in the first link and just Buy It Now. So far, my cranks have been great with no problems. Hopefully they'll stay that way. Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey check this out before you buy any spring. I picked up your bike as well for the same reason, money. I have already replaced a lot of aprts on it as money comes in. Check at cambriabike.com, thats where I pick everything up. Replaced my rear coil that ripped in half from there. Got a FOX RACING SHOX VANILLA REAR SUSPENSION SHOCK 1999
    for $40 bucks adn it works awesome. It is still the same size but way tougher and will definetly work for you. If you get it let me know and I will walk you through how to put it on. Just have to make the spacers a little bigger to do it, no trouble. If not make sure that the one you get is 6.5 eye to eye.
    Heres the link to the coil:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ION+SHOCK+1999

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks! Never heard of them before but I checked it out and it seems decent. I wrote them an email asking if it has ever been mounted before on a bike or used at all...still waiting for a reply which will hopefully be soon. I'm 120 pounds so I think a 900 pound shock should work fine for me and still give me some cushion for the drops and jumps. How do you like your shock? Any complaints?

For the spacers, do I have to buy new ones to fit this shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No problem. All of the parts from their site are new. I have ordered at least 10 different things from there, guaranteed new! I love it, weigh 150 adn it works awesome. Just cheao because they are the leftovers from 99. I rode on it for one season and still works great. Not a single complaint. I had to get a new one becasue I ripped the threading out of my "tough shox". Do not get a replacement coil, the Fox is the whole piece. You do not need to buy new spacers, what it is are plastic pieces that are a little too small for the metal piece that goes through them. All I did was grind the plastic down a little bit so that it fits. Trust me that it works, sounds ify, but I can send you a picture of it on my bike if you want to show you that it fits. I actually did it at Dicks Sporting Goods with one of the techs. If you are thinking of any other add ons let me know becasue the only left stock on my bike is the brakes, which are being changed soon. Let me know if you haev any questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sounds great! Might be where my next paycheck goes! If you have a picture or two that would be great, just to see how everything looks and fits. It sure would be nice to have a brand new shock that doesn't bottom out and can take some good landings. Thanks again for all your help!

GAME ON!
    180 mm travel on a maverick? are you crazy? it comes with 100 mm fork for a reason. also, a 900# spring for someone who weighs 120# is way too much. i'm 150 and use a 350# spring (albeit, not on a maverick)
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I do agree that 180mm travel fork would probably throw off the balance of the bike, especially with the small size of the rear coil. I have a 130mm fork and it works great. As for the 900# spring, you are able to adjust it, and i would put a slinky in for a coil over the stock tough shox that comes on it. And for 40 bucks you get a fox set up that you replace the coil. im 150 and it came with i think a 400# and I ripped the thing apart so good luck finding a shock that good for that price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I also agree that 180mm of travel is a bit much but was just saying that to have that much would be a dream. The stock Tough Shox spring is 600#, but is a cheaper metal. For $40, you get a brand new Fox shock with a 900# spring that is of better material. You just can't beat a deal like that!

GAME ON!
    steel is steel. the fox shock itself is fine, but the spring rate is too much. you can't adjust the spring itself. you'd need to find a spring with a smaller spring rate, such as 300# or so
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I would reccomend the Rockshox tora if you want a new fork, can adjust from 80-130mm of travel and done by turnign a knob, really nice fork. My coil that came on my bike was a 400#, and you would be suprised at the flex the 900# gives. it is not too much and would work great for you if you decide to get it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    true, but if you have a smaller spring and you adjust it too much the threading will rip becasue there is not enough travel or compression rate. 900# may be a little high for 120#, but for the time being the part will work great and nothing will beat the price. buy a spring later if it doesnt seem to work out, but if its fine then dont worry about anythign else.

kovacs2121
    Feb 2008

180mm front

yeah i agree too about the 180mm fork and it's on my bike but i got it for a great price plus im a big guy 6'2" so i might as well and its fully adjustable with a remote lockout on the sr suntour forks wihich is great. it maxes out at 180mm i usually keeps it at about 140 150

GAME ON!
    at least post some pictures
    RIP Adam Yauch

Dr Phil mmkay
    At the end of last summer, I was introduced to mtbing and on a spur of the moment, while having no knowledge whatsoever about the sport, bought an 2006 Ironhorse Maverick Pro on clearance at the LBS. The Tough Shock threw up oil after 2 months, I destroyed a rear derailleur on month 3, overall ravaged the hell out of the frame doing aggressive XC.

Needless to say, I got a little more wiser, spent more time on the boards ( ) and did a little bit of research. I've now replaced the Mav with this

and will probably buy something else as my AM/XC/multi-use bike, probably a SC Chameleon.

BTW: that's my pops on there after we installed the tubes and tires, the bike will be completely finished today after I get out of work (everything's sitting in my car).

kovacs2121
    Feb 2008
    haha yeah this thread is about a $400 ironhorse 4.2 . its a bit of a jump for someone who can just afford 400 to go to a $1600 transition dirtbag which only appears on my computer screen or in my dreams. so thanks for rubbing it in

Spyder
    Jul 2008
    I put a Marzocchi All mountain 4 (whick looks sweet all black) its got 160mm and it rides beautiful. Upgraded front rotor to an V8 and the rear to a V6. Azonic shorty. Couldn't deal with the rear dérailleur so i put and XTR on there but now the shifter doesn't have the umpf to pull it. Waiting for last years Fox air to be given to me from a buddy. Can't wait to ride it again. Anyone know if an external bottom bracket will fit? If so i get a free XT hollowtech.
    I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    if the shock is 7.5x2 i got a few air shocks that are spares that would work nicely. 5th element, Rock Shox Ario

i was asking $100 each or $175 for both. Gonna buy a marzocchi Roco so i could use the money.

Members who have read this thread: 0