Sturmey Archer automatic 2 speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sturmey Archer automatic 2 speed

Was trying to find a 36 spoke, Sturmey Archer, kickback hub for a wheel I want to build up. I have mixed feelings about my current kickback wheel, but I thought a larger wheel for mainly goofing around and commuting on would be fine, but 36 spokes seem to be in short or non-existent supply.
    But then I found, on a couple of European bike shop sites, mention of the 36 spoke automatically shifting hub, like the old Sram/Sachs Automatix.

Model number A2KAM or A2K. I believe there's a disk and rim brake model. It does not appear, at least where I could find it, on Sturmey Archer's site. For my use, automatic shifting sounds better than kickback. No more wondering if you're still in high gear halfway up a hill. No more trying to downshift only to find you were already in low gear, and now you've upshifted. But with so few legit-sounding references to the hub, I wasn't sure it actually existed. I found one that I could get shipped, though, and decided to take a chance.

It appears to be a real thing. It's not in a wheel yet, so I don't know how well it works. It might be a while before I get that done, too, although I'm anxious to try it, so we'll see. But at least it seems to be an actual product, and not a figment of someone's imagination.
    Sturmey Archer automatic 2 speed-img_4365.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Weird, it's not on their website but seems to exist. NOS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surestick Malone View Post
    Weird, it's not on their website but seems to exist. NOS?
    I think new old stock would still show up in some fashion on their website. It would just be in older catalogs, listings, and support documents. When I go to download their catalog, the most current one listed is 2018, and no mention of the automatic 2 speed. Also, while I can't claim to have perfect, or even great recall of all the available hubs, I do pay attention to gear hubs in particular, and I don't remember Sturmey ever having an automatic 2 speed. That was always a Sram/Sachs thing, I thought.

Also, when researching this, I did find one Facebook post from a bike shop within the last year touting this as a new product. So I don't think it's old stock, but it remains very odd that it appears to exist, but there's no mention on the SA site.

I half expected that when I ordered one, I'd either find that I never received it or that it ended up being an S2K. I'm still not going to know for certain that it works as advertised until I build the wheel. Really tempted to open it up, but that is also easier to do with it built into a wheel, so I'll probably wait.

mtbr member

geared hub thread

Tread killer....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    Canít tell if youíre trying to link to some specific info about this hub or just to a group that talks about hub gears. Either way, it didnít work for me.