changing cable out for Alfine 8--10mm thin wall?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

changing cable out for Alfine 8--10mm thin wall?

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm new to IGH. Have a bike now with an Alfine 8 and am trying to change out the shifter (changing from Shimano rapidfire to microshift brifters as part of a drop bar conversion), so of course have to take the cable off. Near as I can figure, the way to do that is to loosen the 10mm nut toward the end of the cable, where's it's bending around. So:

1) Am I wrong about that? Is there something I'm looking right at but not seeing?

2) If it is that nut, dimensions are tight enough that I can't get a regular socket or wrench on it. Hence, do I need to get ahold of a 10mm thin wall socket somewhere? If so, any sources for that?

3) On the flip side, how the heck does the cable come out of the Rapidfire shifter? I can't figure that one out either.

Any help y'all can give would be excellent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    1+2) hold the obverse side of the cable nut with a wrench (it's either 8 or 9mm, do not remember which), and unscrew the 10 with either a box wrench/socket. Obviously, you must remove it from the cassette joint, first--turn the joint forward using either a 2mm hex key in the hole for that purpose, or using the finger lever. Unhook the cable housing stop from the front of the cassette joint, then take the cable out.

3) Right side of the bar clamp, there is a small plug, about 1/4" in diameter, with a large cross-tip slot on it. Remove with a #2 screwdriver, and out it comes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    1+2) hold the obverse side of the cable nut with a wrench (it's either 8 or 9mm, do not remember which), and unscrew the 10 with either a box wrench/socket. Obviously, you must remove it from the cassette joint, first--turn the joint forward using either a 2mm hex key in the hole for that purpose, or using the finger lever. Unhook the cable housing stop from the front of the cassette joint, then take the cable out.

3) Right side of the bar clamp, there is a small plug, about 1/4" in diameter, with a large cross-tip slot on it. Remove with a #2 screwdriver, and out it comes.
    Awesome--thanks so much. Will give it a shot!

Music & Bikes
    ...and be sure to get an Alfine compatible shifter.

I use a long nose Wise-Grip + 10mm socket to remover these Things.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ