Uzzi SL rear wheel off center typical?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Uzzi SL rear wheel off center typical?

Just bought a used Uzzi SL and am building it up. Realized the rear wheel is off center significantly at seatstays but seems centered at chainstays? I'm running thin 2.3's (more like 2.1's actually) and couldn't go any wider without rubbing on one side.

It's definitely ~3/4" to the side of the main triangle/fork/front wheel, viewing from the rear the center of the rear tire lines up with the outside of the top tube.

I'm using V-brakes and have to kick them way out to the left to make it work.

I used to have a 5.5 that the rear tire was off center the same way but didn't care too much as I was running discs and didn't keep the bike long anyway. The bike (Uzzi) definitely seems as though the V-brake bosses were afterthoughts and that the bike was designed around discs.

Is this some typical Intense thing or what?

Trail Rider
    My Tracer is perfectly aligned. Have you checked you main pivots? My tire rides perfectly in the center of the stays and centered with the TT. I had a main bearing blow and my Tracer started making noises. The rear brake started rubbing also (disc). I checked my pivot and it had play. Also loosen up the little main pivot screws and check and tighten the main pivot bolts. Some people have had broken bolts.
    Don

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by CSXer
    Just bought a used Uzzi SL and am building it up. Realized the rear wheel is off center significantly at seatstays but seems centered at chainstays? I'm running thin 2.3's (more like 2.1's actually) and couldn't go any wider without rubbing on one side.

It's definitely ~3/4" to the side of the main triangle/fork/front wheel, viewing from the rear the center of the rear tire lines up with the outside of the top tube.

I'm using V-brakes and have to kick them way out to the left to make it work.

I used to have a 5.5 that the rear tire was off center the same way but didn't care too much as I was running discs and didn't keep the bike long anyway. The bike (Uzzi) definitely seems as though the V-brake bosses were afterthoughts and that the bike was designed around discs.

Is this some typical Intense thing or what?
    Not typical. I saw one alignment problem, which started about 1/4 inch out of alignment and grew to 1/2 inch out at the chainstay over a year's time, which Intense fixed under warrantee in a reasonable time. Yours sounds bent or your seller would have had it fixed within the warrantee period. Call em up, Intense can probably fix it by replacing a link for about $250. You could round file out the dropout on the low side to straighten it, but I'd be concerned that a link is twisted and possibly weakened. Also be sure your wheel is dished right and the axle is straight (twist the axle around in the dropouts while loose and bike upside down). Although you've probably checked those things already since Intense owners are typically pretty advanced riders and knowledgeable around a bike. Cool bike!

- ray
    Last edited by derby; 12-18-2005 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the info. I've checked all the bolts and bearings (and axle), all good. I'm flummoxed, hopefully won't have to give all my money to Intense to sort it out. I've been riding it as is and it's an awesome ride but am tearing up the rims (I suppose from the unequal forces from the canti's).

If anyone else has similar experiences, I'd like to hear how it was resolved.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CSXer
    Thanks for the info. I've checked all the bolts and bearings (and axle), all good. I'm flummoxed, hopefully won't have to give all my money to Intense to sort it out. I've been riding it as is and it's an awesome ride but am tearing up the rims (I suppose from the unequal forces from the canti's).

If anyone else has similar experiences, I'd like to hear how it was resolved.
    You didn't mention if you checked to see if your rear wheel is dished or not. If the wheel is off the same amount from the chain and seat stays, then there's a good chance that you need to dish your rear wheel. Alignment issues from Intense would be unusual.

all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    You didn't mention if you checked to see if your rear wheel is dished or not. If the wheel is off the same amount from the chain and seat stays, then there's a good chance that you need to dish your rear wheel. Alignment issues from Intense would be unusual.

I have used multiple wheelsets between my rigs. I too have had alignment issues and more often than not, it's due to the dish. I agree w/ [email protected] an alignment issue from Intense would be rare.

I've been a loyal Yeti guy, but last summer I got me a VPX, and now I know what all the hype is all about. I built it up myself and this rig is way more dialed than any bike i've ever had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sorry, forgot to say the dish is good. In my first post I mention the confusing thing to me is the wheel being centered at the chainstays.

Members who have read this thread: 0