Tracer with coil springs - question- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Tracer with coil springs - question

Hi again,

anyone have experience with say, a Vanilla fork at front and a Vanilla coil shock or Romic at the rear of a Tracer? I have now a TALAS RL front and a AVA RL / AVA R Propedal rear. I use it for trail riding in rough conditions. Any comments on the coil / air options?
    For my 160 pounds what should be the spring rate for the rear coil (rocker at 100 mm in the steepest position) ?

thanks,

paulo from portugal

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by pintense
    Hi again,

anyone have experience with say, a Vanilla fork at front and a Vanilla coil shock or Romic at the rear of a Tracer? I have now a TALAS RL front and a AVA RL / AVA R Propedal rear. I use it for trail riding in rough conditions. Any comments on the coil / air options?
    For my 160 pounds what should be the spring rate for the rear coil (rocker at 100 mm in the steepest position) ?

thanks,

paulo from portugal
    I have used all the rear shock options you mentioned.
    The Vanilla R is a great set-up. Very active and plush. For my style of riding and the conditions I ride, found it to be almost to active while climbing. Also almost a pound and a half heavier than the Float.
    Just put a Vanilla fork on the front of my Tracer (have yet to ride). Coming from a coil shock Psylo. Only going to get better quality travel and more percision from the Vanilla. Very excited, not the biggest fan of Rock Shox anymore.
    Also bought a custom valved Romic, have it installed on the bike, but have not tried that shock either.
    A frequent poster on these boards( PIMP) has detailed the many advantages of this set-up. I basically bought mine on the many reviews he has posted. I am looking forward to getting some time on both new ends of my Tracer.
    I have to say that my favorite set-up so far has been, the Float with AVA. Light, plush, and very adjustable. Hard to beat in my book.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Romic rear

I recently got a romic for my tracer and hopefully will ride it for the first time next weekend, weather permitting!
    I'll post my review next week.

Thanks,
    Phil

Feb 2004

i have a vanila r pro pedal

i have a vanila r pro pedal rear shock (coil),it is not very plush at all,i thank the float rl is a lot more plush than the pro pedal. .who would think a coil shock would be so much harsher than a air shock,and thats with the coil spring fox told me to buy for my tracer. 600x1.63 ps i stand alot more on the downhill now!!!!!!! ouch , it climbs better now big deal? my weight 155lbs

Black Lion
    [QUOTE=spongstick]i have a vanila r pro pedal rear shock (coil),it is not very plush at all,

I agree with you totally.Have a friend who has a pro Vanilla, who says the same thing. Rode his Tracer and hated how it rode. I tend to like a stiffer climbing bike, but his was too stiff. It was like climbing on a hardtail. It didn't soak up smaller bumps, and track the trail well.

My conclusion(take it for what it's worth, not much) no need for a platform shock with the Tracer. I do have a Romic on my Tracer right now, have no ride time on the thing, so time will tell if it stays on. My bench mark for the rear shock, is the Float with AVA.

On a side note. I am building up a second Tracer(03) as a full on racing rig. To compliment my beloved(02) trailbike. Maybe pro-pedal will work in that full racing application.

Greg
    Voltron

Mar 2004

romic ti

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer
    I recently got a romic for my tracer and hopefully will ride it for the first time next weekend, weather permitting!
    I'll post my review next week.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Any luck?

Mar 2004

Smile

[QUOTE=yogreg]
    Quote Originally Posted by spongstick
    i have a vanila r pro pedal rear shock (coil),it is not very plush at all,

I agree with you totally.Have a friend who has a pro Vanilla, who says the same thing. Rode his Tracer and hated how it rode. I tend to like a stiffer climbing bike, but his was too stiff. It was like climbing on a hardtail. It didn't soak up smaller bumps, and track the trail well.

My conclusion(take it for what it's worth, not much) no need for a platform shock with the Tracer. I do have a Romic on my Tracer right now, have no ride time on the thing, so time will tell if it stays on. My bench mark for the rear shock, is the Float with AVA.

On a side note. I am building up a second Tracer(03) as a full on racing rig. To compliment my beloved(02) trailbike. Maybe pro-pedal will work in that full racing application.

Greg
    Greg, I am looking to update mine to either Fox Vanilla or Romic Ti, pls let me know how you are getting on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Coil shock on Tracer

I have put a few good rides on my Romic after having the Fox Float RL and the upgrade AVA sleeve. The Romic is not as plush as expected! I'm not sure if this is a valving issue or not. I have the compression set all the way out(soft) and have a 550lbs spring which is at 3 turns preload(30% sag). The rebound is set in the middle until I have more time to dial it in. It climbs alot better and I don't notice the extra lb. of weight. I think I installed the shock wrong as the compression knob broke off, it hit the upper swing arm. So I will be sending it back for a new compression knob and will ask for softer valving. Maybe I should go with a 600lb spring?
    Overall I like the shock and would buy it again. The climbing is much improved and it handles better. I think part of the problem is my Fox Float was adjusted to soft/with to much sag. When cornering the rear would sink to much and cause the front end to wash out. Now it carves turns, i just wish it was a little bit more plush.

mtbr member

Romic Ti...

I am running a Romic Ti on my Tracer its been a fantastic upgrade that outweighs the weight penalty (a little over a 1/2 lbs. with Ti spring). Only drawback has been reliablity....I blew the compression like many others here. Romic turned it around in exactly two weeks. And I'm not sure if they replaced it or repaired it. One of my decals was mangled and upon its return had either been replaced or it was a whole new shock.

The shock climbs AWESOME! I'm no suspension guru but it just hooks up on anything. It does not bob and the bike's rear tracks better than ever before. It's rebound feels great too....it just eases the bike back into position with the settings at halfway. Is plush enough but doesn't come off as cushy. And it sucks up the bigger hits nicely.

While I sent it back for return I tried a Fox Float AVA (non-propedal)....the AVA bobbed on me (AVA was set all the way open) but felt super plush and bottomless. But I put the Romic back on and appreciated more tahn I had previously...The Tracer rode much better with the Romic than the AVA, especially when it came to climbing.
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by intensist
    Greg, I am looking to update mine to either Fox Vanilla or Romic Ti, pls let me know how you are getting on.
    I have very limited ride time with the Romic, where I live is a mess still. I don't really start off-rode rideing till Mid April. The only rides I have dome thus far where very mellow short trail rides .
    So far the Romic seems good. It mounted up nice on my frame, and looks clean. I have the rebound and compression set in the middle range for now, with a 550 pound spring.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Romic

YOGREG - How much do you weigh?
    Has anyone had lower shock bushing play with the Romic, just like the Fox Float use to get.
    I'm on my third ride and allready feel alittle.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer
    YOGREG - How much do you weigh?
    Has anyone had lower shock bushing play with the Romic, just like the Fox Float use to get.
    I'm on my third ride and allready feel alittle.
    I weigh about 185-190, I stand corrected...I stated earlier I have a 550 lb spring on my Romic...I have a 600.
    Voltron

jrm
    mtbr member

Same ride quality

Quote Originally Posted by pintense
    Hi again,

thanks,

paulo from portugal
    I can get roughly the same ride quality by reducing the Psi in 5 Psi increments unitl ive hit pay dirt (pun intented).