Tracer 29- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tracer 29

mtbr member

Tracer 29

Some pics of the new Tracer 29 that will show at Interbike, There is still one more mod that didn't make it on the show bike and that is a medium duty replaceable drop out that will allow different rear axle options including the new 142 X 12 QR, Maxle, standard & 135x 12.
    We think this will be a great addition to this caliber of trail 29 er.
    The travel is adjustable between 5 & 5.5" . bb @ 13.5 and Ha @ 70 with a 120 and 69 with a 140 as pictured.It will be offered in the Emerald green show as well as other intense colors.
    production is scheduled for early spring 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jeff, it is just beautiful. I've been waiting for that bike for years. I've just got to have one.

Can you give some more information about the 142 X 12mm. rear spacing who makes a hub for that. I didn't know it existed.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wtf?

Holy sh!t, fcuken shoot me know will ya, please? That is just the hottest, badest, sweetest most beautiful thing I have ever seen in 29er format....That green is just insane...What fork is that? ( please don't say it's a Mar-zoky) I mean is it the 140? OK so is it this frame in green with all blue bits, or is it done ALL COMPLETELY BLACK? Anyone? Very, very, well done there Mr. Intense, my guess is this bike will be "THE" bike for 2010..You couldn't GIVE me a WFO over this..I see this bike blowing everything else right out of the water......Good luck and congrats......CF.

mtbr member
    Beautiful, just beautiful. Nice work Jeff. Are there going to be any rideable demos available at the Dirt Demo?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Peace & Love
    very nice....good geo numbers!

definitely not a fan of that Suntour fork and from the pics the bar looks WAY too short but most importantly, good job on the frame

This place needs an enema
    The geo doesn't do a thing for me, where I live and ride.

Still, I'm very, very happy to see more options from more manufacturers in the 'trailbike' category. More fork and tire options will be the result.

Thanks for sharing.

MC

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee

Still, I'm very, very happy to see more options from more manufacturers in the 'trailbike' category. More fork and tire options will be the result.

Thanks for sharing.

MC
    yes of course, its all about you...silly me.

so i guess a hardtail without a 66 deg HA is also horrible as well since its not for you at your riding I would expect you to realize all bikes do not serve the same purpose.

please go back to your blahg, aka the 29er forum, where people live for your every keystroke

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee

Thanks for sharing.

MC
    Gee, now this is a surprise. Let me guess it also needs a WB-150? BTW my rigid steel SS 29er has the perfect "Geo" for where you live and ride....

Thanks for sharing.............................CF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Can you give some more information about the 142 X 12mm. rear spacing who makes a hub for that. I didn't know it existed.
    Big in Europe. Proposed by Syntace but many other manufacturers are on board. Hope, DT and others offer hubs and adaptor kits. Basically it is a 135 x 12 mm hub with end caps that are 3.5 mm wider on each side.

See this for details:
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

Edit: nice that you are on board Jeff! Hope to see this option on other models too.

mtbr member
    Put me down for one

Geo will work just dandy for my neck of the woods

mtbr member
    Balls, something else I need to buy!

mtbr member
    Any indication of MSRP yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider
    Big in Europe. Proposed by Syntace but many other manufacturers are on board. Hope, DT and others offer hubs and adaptor kits. Basically it is a 135 x 12 mm hub with end caps that are 3.5 mm wider on each side.
    Why? It sounds like chainline and spoke bracing angles would be the same as 135. What does this do other than give you something to hit your heels on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic
    Why? It sounds like chainline and spoke bracing angles would be the same as 135. What does this do other than give you something to hit your heels on?
    I know nothing about the actual axle system and will do some reading but the rear triangle is unchanged and therefore there is no more chance of hitting your heels. Only the dropout will be different.

What is obvious is that a wider supported axle is more difficult to flex. As an example, take a typical "X" shaped car wheel wrench, hold two opposite ends in your hands and get some one to wiggle one of the other ends. You can resist the movement. Now try it holding the wrench near the center. It becomes very difficult to resist. It's a matter of leverage.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member

Sexy!

I may have to have this frame shipped to Fo's Mom's house so wifey doesn't find out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    Any indication of MSRP yet?
    Nigel, I spoke to a local dealer. (Well, kind of a local dealer. He's about an hour away.) He called Intense and gave me a figure but I forget exactly what he said. My comment was, "About the same as a Tracer VP", which is $2280. It was $2200 plus that I remember.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Nigel, I spoke to a local dealer. (Well, kind of a local dealer. He's about an hour away.) He called Intense and gave me a figure but I forget exactly what he said. My comment was, "About the same as a Tracer VP", which is $2280. It was $2200 plus that I remember.

Ronnie.
    So, ~1,800 GBP then

Recovering
    Gorgeous. So excited about this bike. Perfect thing to split the difference between my Spider 29 and Uzzi.
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    So, ~1,800 GBP then
    A Pivot 429 is $2200 and a Turner Sultan is $2400 so Intense is not out of line.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    I'm holding my breath for Uzzi 29er with Dorado manitou 29er fork at 180mm. Intense are you listening- more offerings menas more tyres and forks options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    I'm holding my breath for Uzzi 29er with Dorado manitou 29er fork at 180mm. Intense are you listening- more offerings menas more tyres and forks options.
    Hold your breath long enough that you can't make more posts!

Recovering
    Maybe if we bug Vince, he'll develop some custom dropouts for 29" wheels on the Uzzi/951, a la the slacker dropouts for the old Uzzi/Socom...

Recovering
    Comparative geos:

Tracer 29 (120mm fork)-

HA: 70
    BB: 13.5
    CS: ?

Tracer 29 (140mm fork)-

HA: 69
    BB: 13.?

Lenz Behemoth (130mm fork)-

HA: 69.5
    BB: 13.75
    CS: 17.3

Niner WFO (140mm fork)-

BB: ?
    CS: 17.9

Honestly, I can't see how the Tracer 29 is that much different than the Behemoth, other than in chainstay length (pure speculation since we don't have hard numbers on the Tracer VP cs length).

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    Comparative geos:

Tracer 29 (120mm fork)-

Tracer 29 (140mm fork)-

Niner WFO (140mm fork)-

Honestly, I can't see how the Tracer 29 is that much different than the Behemoth, other than in chainstay length (pure speculation since we don't have hard numbers on the Tracer VP cs length).
    like i said, good geo for intent of bike.

MikeC is a DH rider now so the Behemoth is too XC for him as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    Comparative geos:

Tracer 29 (120mm fork)-

Tracer 29 (140mm fork)-

Niner WFO (140mm fork)-

I just physically measured the CS on my 5point5. It's a tad under 17" (I'd call it 16.9")

Spider 2 CS 16.75"
    Tracer VP CS 17.0"
    Spider 29 CS 18.0"

I'll bet the Tracer 29 CS is just under 18"

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good geo for my riding- mostly Colorado but Moab & Fruita to Crested Butte to the Front Range of Denver. I don't know what the CS is but 17.5' - 18' will be a good range. I like the HA- now I'd like to see how this thing climbs. That is critical, along with lateral stiffness.

mtbr member
    Need to know the CS. All other numbers look spot on. Id the CS are 18 or longer it will be a deal breaker for me.

mtbr member
    We are testing several CS lenghts on the 3 protos so far, the Spider 29 has a 18" cs w/ 4" of travel. The challenge with this amout of travel and still be able to run big tires with no seattube contact so it deffinately will not be under 18". as the 26" Tracer is at 17".
    After Interbike I have parts waiting to fab up several more for the next round of testing.
    The 142 qr is a really slick 12mm quick realease that indexes the hub into the drop out just lick a standard skewwer or fork interface making it easy for replacing the wheel.The ridgetity is the same as a bolt on 12mm system.DT is offering conversion kits for their hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No bending the seattube? Will that help? I think the CS can be too short but that is obviously not an issue here. I know a short CS is all the rage with some but it an be a handful and produce unwanted characteristics as well so it not the answer for all sorts of 29ers and all types of terrain. Over 18" and a slack HA does make the WB long though, so maybe a greater offset fork is the answer?

GF compensates in the new Superfly 100 design by using a custom Fox fork with a 51mm offset to produce appropriate trail. That is a racebike but a good concept to use when trying to make a bike nimble without running too short a CS.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Man I'm telling you it's almost like that 3rd picture down from the top has been glued to the front of my eye balls and I can't get it off ever since I saw this thread open last night....
    I'd like to see a tad under 18 on the CS lenth myself but it wouldn't be a "deal breaker" Well I'm sure we will know alot more this time next week after I-bike.....CF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense
    The 142 qr is a really slick 12mm quick realease that indexes the hub into the drop out just lick a standard skewwer or fork interface making it easy for replacing the wheel.The ridgetity is the same as a bolt on 12mm system.DT is offering conversion kits for their hubs.
    I've just been looking on the DT Swiss site. They offer a 142mm. 240s hub. They also have a 142 X 12mm. RWS axle which would make taking the wheel on and off easy. It's a pity that Shimano don't have an option at present. They have a Saint 135 X 10 or 12mm. hub that is lighter than an XT which I'd planned on using. I guess it'll be DT now.

Do you envision supplying the frame with an option of drop out? I'd definitely go for the 142mm. when I order. I see no reason not to use it, only advantages.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can relate, Fred. The only issue is that if the wheelbase isn't shorter than a Sultan or El Rey, it doesn't really stand out anymore once the glitter wears off. Anyway, that's my take.

I do like the bike a lot but the wheelbase # is important and the CS contributes to that. If you're going to come late to the party and compete with the Sultan, RIP9, and El Rey, you have to do something better while not losing ground on anything else. Once the WB starts getting past 45"-46", the bike becomes harder to handle in the tight stuff, though fast as heck and super stable at speed.

Regardless, that green Tracer 29 is burning a hole (or rather, its impression) in my retina as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Man I'm telling you it's almost like that 3rd picture down from the top has been glued to the front of my eye balls and I can't get it off ever since I saw this thread open last night....
    I'd like to see a tad under 18 on the CS lenth myself but it wouldn't be a "deal breaker" Well I'm sure we will know alot more this time next week after I-bike.....CF.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I can relate, Fred. The only issue is that if the wheelbase isn't shorter than a Sultan or El Rey, it doesn't really stand out anymore once the glitter wears off. Anyway, that's my take.
    The new Sultan has 18.2" stays. The El Rey has 18.3" stays. It's not exceedingly hard to meet or beat those numbers.

Beyond that, I don't understand getting too concerned with wheelbase. If the TT, HA and CS are where you want them to be, the wheelbase will be what it is. I'd never think about sacrificing those other things just to get a shorter wheelbase.

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    Need to know the CS. All other numbers look spot on. Id the CS are 18 or longer it will be a deal breaker for me.
    The only real dealbreaker for you Siko is whether I have room to hide the bike in my basement after I make/finish my 29er acquisitions.

mtbr member
    There is plenty of room down there.

mtbr member
    so gorgeous. art u can ride.
    there is unrest in the forest. there is trouble with the trees.

mtbr member
    Looks really good.

I like what Intense is doing across the board.

What size bike is this one pictured?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good question,

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Looks really good.

I like what Intense is doing across the board.

What size bike is this one pictured?
    And a tough one to boot, I'm trying to make sence of what Mr.Intense wrote at the top and I'm not sure if he is saying that this is a small and the Med. didn't make it? Or that this is a Med. and I have NO CLUE what he is trying to say in his post... So this pretty much doesn't help you AT ALL I know but it's late and.....yep that's all I got...Good night......CF. I just wanted a reason to oped up this thread and look at what I still belive is the SWEETEST bike thus far for 2010.......Did i say good night yet?.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

This is why I am requesting a full 1.5" headtube, not tapered.

Give the customer the ability to fully dial in there own geometry with products like the K9 angled headset. It allows one to run a 1 1/8 steerered fork and slacken the head angle by two degrees. A full 1.5" headtube lets the customer tweak there rides, but anything else won't. That's why I love my 951, fully adjustable to suit one's preferences. I'd much rather be able to slacken my Tracer 29er out to a more suitable AM headtube angle, say 68 or 67 degrees. Steering be damned, I want a plush raked feel, how often does one ride switchbacks and really enjoy them more than haullin' ass down a fun single track.

The other option would be to do some type of G3 dropouts. Not sure if it would work though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I like to order. In works red. L or XL. What do I have to do to get one from the first batch?

Powered by ice cream.
    How did I miss this. That bike is beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    DITTO Now I'm subscribed - glad someone else linked to this is a recent thread. Will be watching this to see what develops Definitely nice to have another contender in the 5" travel arena and that paint looks Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    How did I miss this. That bike is beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

wuss
    Anyone know what early spring usually means for Intense?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    Anyone know what early spring usually means for Intense?
    A LBS just called for me and was told 1 April for a ship date. I could wait that long, since it's too wet here a lot of the winter, but I wouldn't want to wait much longer. It would be nice if they'd put up some final geometry and build kit specs on their site, although I might just get a frame and fork.

Right now my two short list bikes are the Tracer 29 or a Sultan, which I've done a couple of good long rides on. I have no experience with Intense, but I like the looks of the bike and the tapered head tube. I'm guessing the geometry is pretty similar when built with the same length fork (I'd probably put a 140 on either bike). I'm a little nervous about the VPP bearings after my first-gen Blur; I expect they're better now, but not sure they're as good as the Turner bushing system. I also don't know anything about Intense's CS.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    1 April
    I thought it sounded too good to be true..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So unless someone else comes in, 2010 will see the Tracer competing against the Sultan and RIP9. It will be interesting to see how it does. The others are playing second fiddle or have less travel....should be a fun year for 29ers since we will also see a few more racier 29ers out there in force- Tallboy, GF SF 100, maybe a new Turner, and a couple of others.

mtbr member
    after some saddle time on the Tracer 29 I am really excited about this one! i will be getting another proto together this week with the next changes. Much to my suprise the 140 zoke is working great and seems to balance nice with the rear. Will be incorporating a new G2 replaceable drop out that will except different axle options. Also i have been using the beefier chain stay tubes as on our DH frames this really stiffens up the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer 29-img_5861.jpg  

Peace & Love
    after some saddle time on the Tracer 29 I am really excited about this one! i will be getting another proto together this week with the next changes. Much to my suprise the 140 zoke is working great and seems to balance nice with the rear. Will be incorporating a new G2 replaceable drop out that will except different axle options. Also i have been using the beefier chain stay tubes as on our DH frames this really stiffens up the rear.
    looks badazz! thanks for the update. When DeeZee sees this he will pee his little girly panties

mtbr member

Diaper Change

MY GAWD THAT THING IS BAD A$$............

Make the Large first please......

Fo go to He!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can you imagine what would happen if Fo got one before DeeZee?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

What might the head angle become with the G2 dropouts...I posted the request for a full 1.5 headtube so someone could run the K9 headset to slacken it out. Perhaps the G2's might get it to 68-67.5 degrees with 140/150mm( + external 1.5 lower cup) fork? I love my 951 by the way! Those DH chainstays will be awesome!

mtbr member

Mr. Flyer

Can you imagine what would happen if Fo got one before DeeZee?

STFU

Thank you

ps. Fo is a Homer.....just read his PRO REVIEW on the DW Sultan.

mtbr member
    Any plans for carbon version with a decent fork with 20mm axle not stupid 15mm?
    Nice that the frame has 12mm maxle option like no other exept Rip9.

mtbr member
    Much to my suprise the 140 zoke is working great and seems to balance nice with the rear.
    I'm curious about the way you worded that. I would have thought that 140mm. is about as little travel as you would want with 5.5" on the back. Unfortunately not to many 140mm. fork choices. Either the Marzocchi or White Bros. Have you tried the bike with a 120mm. fork?

Will be incorporating a new G2 replaceable drop out that will except different axle options.
    I've started putting parts together. Will you definitely be using a 142 X 12mm. option? DT Swiss make a hub. I want to use the 142mm. but want to be sure before I buy. I'd really like to see what the dropouts look like.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    Any plans for carbon version with a decent fork with 20mm axle not stupid 15mm?
    Nice that the frame has 12mm maxle option like no other exept Rip9.
    Is there actually somthing wrong with you? Buy a frame and put whatever fork you want on it!

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If that head angle was on the 29er Spider, I'd own both! Any pics of a Medium? I like the 26 inch wheeled Tracer, as I'm looking to build up a long travel trail bike this year. My XC rig is a 29'er so i'm intrigued. I had planed on keeping a longer traveled bike a 26, but I'm listening...
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Zoky?

Funny I know a guy who got a new Zoky 44 this week and he is not at all impressed..Mr Intense I think you have got yourself a clear winner here with this bike....Congrats..CF.

mtbr member
    Funny I know a guy who got a new Zoky 44 this week and he is not at all impressed.
    Fred, Which Marzocchi 44 though? There are two versions. I believe the one pictured is the cheaper 44 TST2 Air which I believe has a very basic single port damper system. There is an extensive thread on the shock forum about a modification of the damper to a shim stack:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=410874

From what has bee said, it may be worth getting the TST2 version and modding it at the price.

The substantially more expensive and lighter (0.8lb. according to Marzocchi) 44 Micro Ti is a different beast by the look of it. That is what I've been thinking of getting. It's either that or White Bros. that make a fork in the travel range. I haven't seen too many good things about the WB either.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I recently heard from someone who used and opened up the Micro Ti version and said it was "complete junk" inside. Now, maybe it isn't literally junk but compared to the Fox and RS offerings, it may be close. Given what Suntour produces and what Marzocchi has produced lately, I would be surprised if it WAS a good fork. I seriously don't think they have what it takes to compete anymore.

mtbr member
    I recently heard from someone who used and opened up the Micro Ti version and said it was "complete junk" inside. Now, maybe it isn't literally junk but compared to the Fox and RS offerings, it may be close. Given what Suntour produces and what Marzocchi has produced lately, I would be surprised if it WAS a good fork. I seriously don't think they have what it takes to compete anymore.
    The thread I linked above has fairly extensive photo coverage of the internals and it looks no better or worse than other forks. It may be an older "made in Italy" version. I don't know. The thread was started about a year ago.

I guess I'll have to go onto the Niner forum and see what is being said there. It is the fork that is speced. for the WFO. I saw a couple of WFO owners commenting favourably about the fork.

I was recently told by the owner of Suspension Experts that all brands/components, including Fox, are essentially made in the Far East. There may be some local assembly. Because Suntour made junk for a certain market doesn't mean that they can't make a better product to a spec.

I'm not saying you are wrong but I would really like to know. I don't want to put a shorter fork on the Tracer 29. I wonder how it would perform with a 120mm. fork and the rear set to 5" travel.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Ronnie,

Fred, Which Marzocchi 44 though? There are two versions. I believe the one pictured is the cheaper 44 TST2 Air which I believe has a very basic single port damper system. There is an extensive thread on the shock forum about a modification of the damper to a shim stack:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=410874

From what has bee said, it may be worth getting the TST2 version and modding it at the price.

The substantially more expensive and lighter (0.8lb. according to Marzocchi) 44 Micro Ti is a different beast by the look of it. That is what I've been thinking of getting. It's either that or White Bros. that make a fork in the travel range. I haven't seen too many good things about the WB either.

Ronnie.
    Not sure which one he had but I'll find out for sure later today..It was not the one that's on the Tracer here in this thread as it didn't hhave the black stantions rather the nickel plated..And much like what flyer said he too open it up and couldn't belive the MESS inside of the fork....I also agree with you Ronnie in that if I was to get one of these bikes I'm in NOWAY throwing a 120 on her......CF.

mtbr member
    Not sure which one he had but I'll find out for sure later today..It was not the one that's on the Tracer here in this thread as it didn't have the black stantions rather the nickel plated..And much like what flyer said he too open it up and couldn't belive the MESS inside of the fork....I also agree with you Ronnie in that if I was to get one of these bikes I'm in NOWAY throwing a 120 on her......CF.
    The nickel plated stanchions sounds like the $800 44 Micro Ti QR15 29" version. That is very disappointing to hear. Please get as much information as you can. I'd like to know what he considers inadequate in the fork? Was it put together badly and has he re-built it to his satisfaction? If not, I don't know what I'd put on this frame.

I wonder if it would be possible to get hold of a 160mm. Manitou Nixon and put a Minute 29 lower casting on it? They both have 32mm. stanchions. Man, I love my 145mm. Nixon on my 5point5.

Ronnie.

Peace & Love
    i know that story as well...and unfortunately, for Suntourzocchi, the source from which we are referring is a uber certified expert in all things fork which is bad news. Even leading up to the "opening" of the fork, the POS had issues with fitment etc...QC being as crap as it was on top of crap internals is certainly not very reassuring. They (Suntour) SURE as hell dont make em like they used to. Even the Marz chicks are not as hawt