Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,246 of 2246
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Since this is a ďnewĒ Primer thread....Anyone else whoíd like to see a longer Primer....or, maybe an XXL (21.5) aíla Santa Cruz?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone know how the recluse link performs with the standard 200x51 shock?
    I'm going to put my Recluse link and 200x57 shock on, but for days when I need the super efficient 130mm travel, will the recluse link work fine with the 200x51 too (just not get as much travel?)

Thanks

SVO
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Since this is a ďnewĒ Primer thread....Anyone else whoíd like to see a longer Primer....or, maybe an XXL (21.5) aíla Santa Cruz?
    Agreed. I'm only 6'-0.5" but I find the large a little short in reach, especially with a modern stem. Seems this thread is about the down, little about tough climbing. Maybe I should have bought an XL, but I have never owned an XL and Intense guidance puts me on the Large more than XL.

When I first showed up with the Primer to a group ride, my buddies said, "Hey, isn't that small for you?" Most are current/former LBS staff. I'm starting to think they were right.

mtbr member
    Odd...I'm usually a large and was steered by multiple people towards a medium Primer. It fits me perfectly.
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am on a large primer (5 11 with shorter inseam), because of the high seat tube i don't think the XL would have been a good fit. When i purchased the bike i was happy with the reach and ETT as it was a good 15mm longer than my previous bike but after having it for a few seasons i wish it was longer.

I know not everyone was wild about my suspicion (or maybe suggestion) of using the Tazer as the blueprint for the next primer (but it's going to have to be more progressive than the Sniper), but i think the reach, ETT, and SA on the Tazer is inline with my wishes, I would like the bike to be designed around a 140-150mm fork with 140mm rear travel with a 66.5-67 HA with the 140mm Fork.

For me the primer needs to be a bike i can ride all day but i appreciate stability and confidence when descending, particularly when i am tired.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm 6'1" and ride an XL Primer. I think is comes down to personal preference and body type as well. My torso is longer than my legs, so I like the extra ETT length to stretch out. I run a 150mm Magura Vyron dropper post that is slammed in the seat tube.

If I was a more aggressive rider and wanted a more flickable bike then the Large would have been the way to go. However, that is not me.

I would not worry too much about what people say, but rather how the bike feels for your riding style. If that is a mismatch then there is an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm going to add to the new primer rumor mill based on some info from someone that saw a prototype/specs of the New Primer. Take it for what it is worth.
    -Won't be hear until 2019.
    -No more front deraileur mount.
    -Suspension more like Carbine
    -Think mini Carbine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I actually had this question answered by Intense tech recently since I am servicing my DVO Topaz. If I understood him correctly, he said that if you run a 200x51 shock with Recluse link you will get somewhere around 120mm of travel because the hole would line up somewhere in-between the 115 and 130 holes on stock linkage. Pretty cool when you call customer service and get transferred to a legend like Chappy Fiene.

SVO
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvishney View Post
    I'm 6'1" and ride an XL Primer. I think is comes down to personal preference and body type as well. My torso is longer than my legs, so I like the extra ETT length to stretch out. I run a 150mm Magura Vyron dropper post that is slammed in the seat tube.

If I was a more aggressive rider and wanted a more flickable bike then the Large would have been the way to go. However, that is not me.

I would not worry too much about what people say, but rather how the bike feels for your riding style. If that is a mismatch then there is an issue.
    Good points. Then again, they have about 40 shop years of experience among them. I just mounted a 90mm stem which is HUGE by todays standards for trail bikes but feels about right- does not put me over the front wheel too bad.

Think I'm just right on the margin and this setup will be aces. High saddle position relative to height (bad knees) pushes me a little larger than height alone indicates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I run a 70mm stem with 15 degree rise. So a 90mm stem may be long by today's "standards" but it is all about fit. I had a computer/video session and learned all kinds of things about my biomechanics. Like a larger q factor and lower seat height works better for me. 168mm on cranks plus 4mm of spacers for 172mm q factor. Also needed new shoes with wider last to fit my feet. Result was no more knee or foot pain. Bottom line is no one is the same and we were never designed to ride bikes, so everything is a trade off. Don't get hung up on standards.

SVO
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I understand fit fairly well. That's why I don't have any pain on the bike at my advanced years. Just surprised it took a stem near double stock to make it work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jvishney View Post
    I'm going to add to the new primer rumor mill based on some info from someone that saw a prototype/specs of the New Primer. Take it for what it is worth.
    -Won't be hear until 2019.
    -No more front deraileur mount.
    -Suspension more like Carbine
    -Think mini Carbine.
    I hope not.
    The carbine is aweful at climbs due to a slack seat angle and suspension designed for downhill.

I would like a primer to have 1.5 degree slacker head angle, 10-15mm longer reach (but keep the the existing eTT by steepening the seat angle). Same efficient suspension design, but offering 140mm and 125mm travel options on the upper link.

If that is the new primer, it will be mine :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Shouldn't be long, 19 tracer is online and looks like the 19 Carbine is pre order

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Their website is so cluttered I donít know how you can tell? Searching for 2019 only revealed only the Sniper in XL size and M29 FRO (Spring pre-order).

The two you mention would more or less be minor variants of the current models any way

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    Their website is so cluttered I donít know how you can tell? Searching for 2019 only revealed only the Sniper in XL size and M29 FRO (Spring pre-order).

The two you mention would more or less be minor variants of the current models any way
    Must be just the Canadian site pushed them early.

Heres the Tracer Pro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    19 Primer

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    2019 expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    2019 Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Meh, just trolling using last years specs ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seems to me that the carbine and tracer have updated colours and specs, where the primer has no change to colour or specs. I assume that means new updated primer frame/geo will be coming out sometime. Hoping it follows the longer/lower/slacker trend. Aim for a longer travel sniper as opposed to a shorter travel carbine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarnes@mec.ca View Post
    Seems to me that the carbine and tracer have updated colours and specs, where the primer has no change to colour or specs. I assume that means new updated primer frame/geo will be coming out sometime. Hoping it follows the longer/lower/slacker trend. Aim for a longer travel sniper as opposed to a shorter travel carbine.
    Primer is now 140mm fork, and has a down tube protector.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    2018 Primer came with 140 fork.
    I would love to know if they are doing any redesigns, and when to expect them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    They typically update every 3-4 years, so there are several frames potentially receiving revisions for 2019. Not so much interested in pictures myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    2018 Primer came with 140 fork.
    I would love to know if they are doing any redesigns, and when to expect them.
    Mine came 130/130... I've read of lots going to 140 from 130... when I get my 34 factory rebuilt I'm thinking of going 140

mtbr member
    My 2017 Expert came with a 140mm Pike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Darn, must only be Fox equipped Primers with 130. Honestly I never did look at specs of rock shox equipped bikes as I dont like Sram as they are a pain! I like the eagle so that's my only allowance and I usually break a drive line part before it would need warranty anyway. So suspension and brakes will never be Sram on my bikes if I can help it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Primer and Spider 275 are almost the same; just 29Ē and 650B wheels respectively and some minor variations relative to that. Both were offered 130/140 fork and there was even an ďEnduroĒ version Spider 275 with 150/140 offered in some markets, essentially a Recluse spec on the Spider 275 frame. No reason you couldnít do that on a Primer too since more than a few people already swapped the Recluse top link with 200x57 shock on their Primer already.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anyone know what the geometry changes are with a 150mm fork and recluse link would be on a primer? Specifically around the SA and HA, but looking over all changes if anyone knows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone know what the geometry changes are with a 150mm fork and recluse link would be on a primer? Specifically around the SA and HA, but looking over all changes if anyone knows.
    I'm running a 150 fork (MRP Coil) with recluse...I spent a great deal of time measuring, with the aid of my engineering buddy, and I came up with a 66.7 HA. I know I also measured reach and stack, but forgot what those figures came to. But, I'd expect BB to be 2-3 higher and reach to be a few mm shorter. To get over the front tire better, I purchased an 800mm Renthal flatbar, which has less sweep (7deg vs 8 or 9)...so I really feel like I'm sticking the corners better now with my upper body in a slightly more forward position. The whole setup is dialed now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Primer/Recluse/Spider for 2019 only feature some spec updates. The biggest updates coming from the Foundation builds all going to an NX Eagle drivetrain. For the most part there are small spec updates and the components are the newest model year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Iíll look forward to 2020 models then while enjoying the Spider 275 until such time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Creativefletch - So no Primer frame changes for 2019? Same colors? TIA

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    Creativefletch - So no Primer frame changes for 2019? Same colors? TIA
    MODEL YEAR 2019 yes no frame change.

mtbr member
    Loving the 18 Primer Bandit the way it is.

Only changes I would like to see would be threaded bottom bracket, ISCG tabs and maybe stock 170mm cranks instead of 175.

Tried the 110 rear shock setting once, but prefer the stock setting so the different settings tab is nice but not a must have.

Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    MODEL YEAR 2019 yes no frame change.

mtbr member
    +1 on newking's recommendations! Perfect bike for my New England riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Loving the 18 Primer Bandit the way it is.

Only changes I would like to see would be threaded bottom bracket, ISCG tabs and maybe stock 170mm cranks instead of 175.

Tried the 110 rear shock setting once, but prefer the stock setting so the different settings tab is nice but not a must have.
    YES 100%

I'd also remove the front Mech mounting point

I believe the new bike is also getting a down tube protector similar to the carbine which will be another Plus

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That raises a point Iíve been meaning to ask about; if you were to sand down and seal the front derailleur mount protrusion down to within 1/16Ē or so of (just above) the seat tube OD surface will it affect frame durability in that area?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That raises a point Iíve been meaning to ask about; if you were to sand down and seal the front derailleur mount protrusion down to within 1/16Ē or so of (just above) the seat tube OD surface will it affect frame durability in that area?
    Are you having a giraffe?
    Thatís the most anal / silly comment I have whitnessed in the 2.5 years of this thread...

mtbr member
    I have a MRP decapitator on my FD mount.

DECAPITATOR

Running a 1x drivetrain and have an unsightly, unused FD mount on your frame? Put it to use with the MRP Decapitator!
    https://www.mrpbike.com/accessories/

Opens bottles with unparalleled precision
    Made in Grand Junction, CO, USA
    Alloy with matching alloy fastener
    12g

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Are you having a giraffe?
    Thatís the most anal / silly comment I have whitnessed in the 2.5 years of this thread...
    Iíve seen people do a lot more going Ti, but lol, it was just a question. I had a reason for asking it, which Iím sure you donít comprehend since I didnít state what it was. It wasnít for weight if thatís what you were thinking. Otherwise Iím not sure why youíd consider it anal unless you thought it was for that reason, which it isnít. Not that I was either seeking or needing your blessing on it regardless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I've stuck a OneUp top mounted chain guide on the front der mount. I had a couple of chain drop moments when vegetation got sucked into the chainring. No problems since.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Iíve seen people do a lot more going Ti, but lol, it was just a question. I had a reason for asking it, which Iím sure you donít comprehend since I didnít state what it was. It wasnít for weight if thatís what you were thinking. Otherwise Iím not sure why youíd consider it anal unless you thought it was for that reason, which it isnít. Not that I was either seeking or needing your blessing on it regardless.
    Now I'm curious. Why do you want to remove it, if not for weight? So intriguing

Off Topic: I have always thought Intense should have included a cover ( they also made one ) because 1x is so common. I was always bummed my $5K bike had that open screw hole and bare carbon ... I also wish it came with something to fill in the ICG05 holes that I don't use. (my parts bin had some bolts that fit, but they were not perfect ) Anyway...just sayin...if you buy a premium product a few small things would really go a long way to making you(me) feel special and loved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The counter is you paid $5k and are bumming over $10 worth of screws/coverplates

They donít know if you plan to use them or not, which if you consider that itís not just the cost of screws but labor too for purchasing, tracking, storing & managing inventory, installing, etc. times thousands of bikes just to have some portion of people take them out and throw them away because they did install devices there. The question is would you have possibly thought the price was too high and bought a different brand bike? Because those kind of costs add up and ultimately affect the bottom line.

Now an alternative would be to offer it as an option, but Iím going to take a guess that itíd prove not to be worth the hassle because most people would likely rather spend only $5 doing it on their own or just not caring is the most likely choice, but I wonít accuse you of being anal

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Although it would be insane to remove this from the frame, I think I was drunk when I wrote that - sorry :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    No problem, Just the usual forum chitchat

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The counter is you paid $5k and are bumming over $10 worth of screws/coverplates

They donít know if you plan to use them or not, which if you consider that itís not just the cost of screws but labor too for purchasing, tracking, storing & managing inventory, installing, etc. times thousands of bikes just to have some portion of people take them out and throw them away because they did install devices there. The question is would you have possibly thought the price was too high and bought a different brand bike? Because those kind of costs add up and ultimately affect the bottom line.

Now an alternative would be to offer it as an option, but Iím going to take a guess that itíd prove not to be worth the hassle because most people would likely rather spend only $5 doing it on their own or just not caring is the most likely choice, but I wonít accuse you of being anal
    I can't really argue. I will say I think the costs associated with including an additional $5 part couldn't be that much and you sort of make it sound like it would crush Intense and make them go bankrupt They certainly don't have to, and I understand why they wouldn't because every penny does count, but I still think it would have been nice.

Anyway, MORE IMPORTANTLY....

... you still didn't tell us why you wanted to remove the FD mounting point and associated carbon .... other than to say it wasn't for weight reduction ... so secretive! Do you bang your ankle on it? Do you want to strap something to the frame there?

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223