New Intense Primer 29er! - Page 13- Mtbr.com
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 2,401 to 2,526 of 2526
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    im sure this was covered somewhere in the last 24 pages, but just a PSA...i recently put a 160 Lyrik on my Primer for fun (it's going on the new frame that's not here yet.. Large primer for sale!), and its AWESOME.

Coming from a 140mm MRP Ribbon, i thought it would be too tall, but the negative spring on the RS is so powerful and the beginning of the stroke is so active, it feels lower if anything than the 140mm Ribbon! the 42mm Offset is awesome too. Definitely the way to go. Zero downsides outside of ultra-tight switchbacks (which just require a little more body language to counter-weight the bike). It tracks way straighter and is far less twitchy at speed.

I've always been anti-SRAM and anti-industry fad, but both the 2020 RS Lyrik and the lower fork offset trends have been phenomenal.

New Intense Primer 29er!-lyrik.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Anyone ever notice this (see link below), thats a 2018 primer from 2018 when the dh guys were on primers not carbines like they are now that gwin is team manager

but if you look close thats a piggy back rear shock and a lyrik. And the lowest travel you can get in a lyrik is a 150! Its like they were telling us to do it all along. I know what im doing after my next race

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/24...g?v=1518565066

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Never noticed. Good eye! How funny.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Newbie Primer question. I'm in the market for a new short to mid travel 29er, and the Primer seems to be a good candidate.

Have there been any noteworthy changes between the 2017 to the 2019 Primer? I've compared the geo numbers on the first page of this thread to the geo numbers posted on Intense's site. Everything seems to be the same. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedropper View Post
    Newbie Primer question. I'm in the market for a new short to mid travel 29er, and the Primer seems to be a good candidate.

Have there been any noteworthy changes between the 2017 to the 2019 Primer? I've compared the geo numbers on the first page of this thread to the geo numbers posted on Intense's site. Everything seems to be the same. Am I missing something?
    the primer has not changed since introduction in 2017. there is a new one coming but they wont tell us when. I think last rumor i read was july or august?.

mtbr member
    The 2018/2019 models received a longer travel fork. It was increased to 140MM up front and 130/115MM rear travel. Everything else is the same as far as geo. This should have made the front slightly slacker. I am guessing 66.7 degree HT angle and it's just a guess based on the increased travel and the longer axel to crown length from the Fox 34 to the RockShox Pike.
    Keeping it Real Since 1971!!

mtbr member
    Quick vid of the elusive Intense Primer in our local habitat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Z1agCYY4s

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by primer29 View Post
    the primer has not changed since introduction in 2017. there is a new one coming but they wont tell us when. I think last rumor i read was july or august?.
    Quote Originally Posted by vpc-los View Post
    The 2018/2019 models received a longer travel fork. It was increased to 140MM up front and 130/115MM rear travel. Everything else is the same as far as geo. This should have made the front slightly slacker. I am guessing 66.7 degree HT angle and it's just a guess based on the increased travel and the longer axel to crown length from the Fox 34 to the RockShox Pike.
    Thanks for the information and quick replies! The primer is on my shortlist. Iím watching a listing on PB of what appears to be a new/old stock 2017 primer foundation build. And intense still has 2018 foundation build leftovers as well as 2019 models in stock on the website. I was trying to see if there were enough changes to the Ď18 or newer to warrant the extra money over the Ď17 model.

Side note. Intense appears to be running an e13 carbon wheelset upgrade promo with select model/build purchases, and the primer qualifies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just curious for someone that's went from 130 to 140 if you noticed any changes in ride?

My primer is an 18 but it's got Fox factory 34 and DPS, it climbs like a mountain goat and I'm 200 pounds and out of shape from what I'm use to (broken femur set back) I was a DH only person before and I'm riding with far better physical fitness riders than me and not being left behind. Lukily most are on AM 140/150 bikes.

I was curious mainly if the 140 would not decreasing climbing if it would make a difference going down.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have mine setup at 140 front and rear. IT does not take away from the climbing at all. It makes the bike a better all-around ride in my opinion. Fox 34 can be extended to 140 and you can get the Recluse upper link and longer stroke shock to make it 140 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by adam74 View Post
    Just curious for someone that's went from 130 to 140 if you noticed any changes in ride?

My primer is an 18 but it's got Fox factory 34 and DPS, it climbs like a mountain goat and I'm 200 pounds and out of shape from what I'm use to (broken femur set back) I was a DH only person before and I'm riding with far better physical fitness riders than me and not being left behind. Lukily most are on AM 140/150 bikes.

I was curious mainly if the 140 would not decreasing climbing if it would make a difference going down.

Thanks

see my post at the top of this page. im running a 160 lyrik with no issues climbing or turning whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedropper View Post

what size are you looking for? I have a Large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    My Large SL frameset posted for sale w/ Mcleod & 140 Recluse link. Apologies mods if this is taboo.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2585559/

New Intense Primer 29er!-1r.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    My Large SL frameset posted for sale w/ Mcleod & 140 Recluse link. Apologies mods if this is taboo.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2585559/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1r.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	1256871
    That's a slick looking color. I've held iut this long with a Spider 29C but that color is tempting.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtforester View Post
    That's a slick looking color. I've held iut this long with a Spider 29C but that color is tempting.

Jump on it!! As you should be able to tell by 90% of the posts in this thread, it's a very versatile, fun bike. I demo'd the Yeti SB130 which is technically a 150/130 bike and it climbed very, very well but the "fun factor" going down and railing around corners was sub-par compared to my Primer which is set up 140/130 with Performance Elite level components.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jtforester View Post

The orange pops in person.

Just quoted someone 1250 +sh. Let me know!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The orange pops in person.

Just quoted someone 1250 +sh. Let me know!
    Thanks, but I'm going to wait. I'm pretty happy with the 29C with a CCDB Air IL and a 150 pike rct3. The 29C is a 142mm rear so switching will require at least 1 new wheel (have center lock hubs now). I've demo'd the primer 2x now and it's fun but feels a little short for my height/inseam/arms.

I'm kind of hoping the new bike will have the 157mm spacing so I can skip the first iteration of boost all together.

Intense's direct to customer strategy makes a new purchase worthwhile, imo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Okay I did the 150 air shaft in my pike...... Can someone explain why this bike didn't come this way to begin with? ( I assume cause then the recluse would have been pointless) I felt no detrimental effects on the bike in changing its playfulness or how the bike just climbs. no fork wandering. This is fantastic.

If anyone has a recluse link they would like to sell..... Id be interested in getting that off you. To finish making the mini enduro bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by primer29 View Post
    Okay I did the 150 air shaft in my pike...... Can someone explain why this bike didn't come this way to begin with? ( I assume cause then the recluse would have been pointless) I felt no detrimental effects on the bike in changing its playfulness or how the bike just climbs. no fork wandering. This is fantastic.

If anyone has a recluse link they would like to sell..... Id be interested in getting that off you. To finish making the mini enduro bike
    I have a recluse link that I had on my primer for about a month. PM me if you are interested in buying it.

mtbr member
    Sorry i this has been answered previously in this thread but need a quickish answer.

What size is the shock on the primer? Buying one but want to replace it with a Fox.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    200x51. 7.875 x 2

mtbr member
    Oustanding! Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    If youre replacing shock you should get 140mm recluse link and run a 200x57. 7.875 x 2.25

mtbr member
    I had planned to do that when I eventually got around to replacing the Revelation with a PIKE. a Fox 36 would seem like overkill.

Hmmm. Now you've got my mind working overtime!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Not overkill at all. Lyrik worked great for me. Its a burly frame.

mtbr member
    Cost has to be kept in mind.

I don't want to spend lots on a new fork and shock to the extent that I could buy something like a Hightower off the shelf for less than the cost of upgrading the Primer overall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    true. go mcleod if cost is a concern. better shock dollar for dollar than fox.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    run your Pike at 140mm or even 150mm. Combine with the Recluse link at less than $100 and a 200 x 57mm rear shock. I think the Primer is best at this configuration. 140 front 140 rear. Ive tried them all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    100% concur. 150 on the pike as well - its an active fork.

mtbr member
    Agree 100% about the PIKE. I had one on my Recluse. Very supple and the only downside was it blew through travel when picking my way down slow rooty technical trails.

I got the chance of a 36 at a great price and went for it. More supportive mid stroke but felt harsher generally and wanted to lift the front wheel off the ground on sharpish climbs. I preferred the PIKE overall.

The seed of doubt has been sewn by my loathing of Rock Shox rear shocks. Demoed a Hightower with one and it was awful and wollowy. To be fair, the shop said it was faulty but it just put me off Rock Shox.

140 / 140 would be more than enough for my style of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    not discounting your experience, but i have a new super deluxe ult on my ripmo and it's anything but wallowy. granted i have 4.5 tokens in it, but its been phenomenal. the dpx2 on the ripmo demo i rode was very wallowy in comparison.

mtbr member
    Now that's interesting Matt.

I feel a weekend of scouring the internet for a good deal on a Pike coming on! I could definitely live with a 130mm rear with a 140mm pike out front.

mtbr member
    I've got a Yari (140mm debonair cartridge) with the stock 130mm rear Primer SL linkage, rides great, only wished the head angle was less slack, a lot of my trails are fairly tight.
    Anyone ever install an angled headset? I'm wondering how'd a .5 or 1 degree would do.

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_20190623_180129_1.jpg
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i thought the primer did pretty well in tight stuff; all relative i guess. i'd just run less tokens/more sag on the yari.

mtbr member
    i thought the primer did pretty well in tight stuff; all relative i guess. i'd just run less tokens/more sag on the yari.
    You may have a point, the longer travel combined with me liking a firm ride is probably not helping anything.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Steepen head angle

I just this weekend installed a Works components headset to slacken the head angle by 1.5 degrees. Itís a bit of a pain but highly doable. Mine adds about 50g of weight but if you are steepening the head angle the headset will be different and probably lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I've got a Yari (140mm debonair cartridge) with the stock 130mm rear Primer SL linkage, rides great, only wished the head angle was less slack, a lot of my trails are fairly tight.
    Anyone ever install an angled headset? I'm wondering how'd a .5 or 1 degree would do.

Name:	IMG_20190623_180129_1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	1259811

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by starsky View Post
    I had planned to do that when I eventually got around to replacing the Revelation with a PIKE. a Fox 36 would seem like overkill.

Hmmm. Now you've got my mind working overtime!
    @starsky, I had the revelation (was warrantied with a pike due to some internal issue)

but before you sell your revelation and try and get a pike did you consider just getting the upgrade kits? the air shaft is like 48 bucks and you could get damper upgrade for the new charger 2.1 all and all should be like 300 or 350 which is way less than a new fork, and your only disadvantage is your like 50 grams heavier then a pike

also i have a friend selling a 36 i could inquire on price about if you like

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hello Primer Riders,
    I have 3 questions to You:
    1. What is recommended seat post clamp torque?
    2. Where should be sticked these two red tape stripes that are added to frame set?
    3. Have You got any tips to protect box link bearings from mud and dust?

mtbr member
    1) Grease post with friction paste then tighten just a hair more than it takes to keep the post from moving.

3) Grease them regularly
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just bought a used Primer Pro and have been digging through this thread for useful information. Thanks for everyone that posted on here and helped me decide on this bike. Here is a summary of some of the "Primerisms" that I will be looking for and addressing when I am setting up the bike. Please help out or correct any misconceptions I may have.

1. Frame protection is a bit lacking. Carbine Flak Guard looks to be nice and burly but has to be modified to fit. Any other good solutions?

2. Rear through axle is locking and unique. It can be replaced with a traditional axle. I would probable buy DT Swiss, is length 168mm?

3. Rear tire clearance is a bit limited. With the 22.5IW rims I may be limited to 2.35 tire (I ride in somewhat muddy conditions). If I get some 30mm IW rims will a wider variety of tires fit due to a reduced "light bulb" shape? What about Maxxis WT ? (thinking forekastor 2.6)

4. Good starting sag for shock and fork. I'm riding East Coast, punchy, tight, rocky, roots, and slow tech. Thinking 27% on the shock (in 130mm mode) and 20ish on the fork?

5. Will extending the Fox 34 air shaft to 140mm help significantly with pedal strikes? I don't really need the extra travel but could always use a bit higher BB where I ride.

Thanks for any help with this. I really just need to get through this brutal work week so I can ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpilot View Post
    Just bought a used Primer Pro and have been digging through this thread for useful information. Thanks for everyone that posted on here and helped me decide on this bike. Here is a summary of some of the "Primerisms" that I will be looking for and addressing when I am setting up the bike. Please help out or correct any misconceptions I may have.

1. Frame protection is a bit lacking. Carbine Flak Guard looks to be nice and burly but has to be modified to fit. Any other good solutions?

2. Rear through axle is locking and unique. It can be replaced with a traditional axle. I would probable buy DT Swiss, is length 168mm?

3. Rear tire clearance is a bit limited. With the 22.5IW rims I may be limited to 2.35 tire (I ride in somewhat muddy conditions). If I get some 30mm IW rims will a wider variety of tires fit due to a reduced "light bulb" shape? What about Maxxis WT ? (thinking forekastor 2.6)

4. Good starting sag for shock and fork. I'm riding East Coast, punchy, tight, rocky, roots, and slow tech. Thinking 27% on the shock (in 130mm mode) and 20ish on the fork?

5. Will extending the Fox 34 air shaft to 140mm help significantly with pedal strikes? I don't really need the extra travel but could always use a bit higher BB where I ride.

Thanks for any help with this. I really just need to get through this brutal work week so I can ride.
    For frame protection, I bought Invisifame for general protection (which takes a bit to put on but worth it). I also used the following for the belly of my bottom tube (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It is thicker than invisiframe by quite a bit and isn't very noticeable. I know for sure rocks have hit it and it seems to work pretty well.

I increased my Fox Factory 34 travel from 130 to 140. Brings the front up a little and I can't say I have had a lot of pedal strikes (other then situations where it was my own dumb fault). As a note, I run an XL frame and a 2.6 Rekon tire in the front. I can tell the 2.6 + the 140 raises the front a little more than I'd prefer but is helps quite a bit getting through the chunky stuff. Next front tire will likely be a 2.4 Minion.

Overall, this bike is fast and I have been setting PRs in my downhills all summer (likely due to the increased confidence and more capability with the 140 fork and 2.6 tire). Another note, I put a 2.3 Aggressor on the back and it is soooo much better than the 2.35 Forekaster that came with the bike. I rarely slide out anymore and just love that tire (not as heavy as the Minion). Have fun!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    2. No yoU need a x12 148 axle. If you want DT Swiss you need this one
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...168-5mm-length

3. I have DT Swiss 25 wide rims with e13 2.35 trs+. Itís a fairly tight fit. When my spokes got a little loose I could flex the tire into the frame.

4. Intense suggests in the manual 20% (sitting)for the rear and 25-30% for the front.

5. Reality is your probably not getting a whole lot more clearance. Your getting like 3.5mm static BB height increase but sag is going take up some of that. I would play with suspension setup to get it where it feels good but rides a little higher.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mfoga View Post
    2. No yoU need a x12 148 axle. If you want DT Swiss you need this one
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...168-5mm-length
    Thanks, I understand that it will be 12x148, I just needed the length of the axle. The one you linked is 168.5mm. Just wanted to make sure that's correct.

WTF is downcountry?
    I do 30% sag for this bike, and 20% up front but I prefer a firmer fork feel. 140 fork will make the bike feel better overall in my opinion, I still get a few pedal strikes with 140 Pike and DHF tho

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Good timing on this Pinkbike article: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...y-and-new.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RCederholm View Post
    Good timing on this Pinkbike article: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...y-and-new.html
    Good stuff man! Timely article indeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks, I understand that it will be 12x148, I just needed the length of the axle. The one you linked is 168.5mm. Just wanted to make sure that's correct.
    There will be only one length for a X-12 148x12 axle. The frame needs an boost 148 Syntace X-12 type axle. The X-12 is not all about the 12 mm size but all the conical washer on the end. If you donít get an x-12 axle you will not have the right one no matter the length.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    There will be only one length for a X-12 148x12 axle. The frame needs an boost 148 Syntace X-12 type axle. The X-12 is not all about the 12 mm size but all the conical washer on the end. If you donít get an x-12 axle you will not have the right one no matter the length.
    I like info on this, theres al kinds of little details on bikes as theres so many standards. I wish it was as easy as picking up a 12x148mm and be done. You almost need to be a full time mechanic to keep up with mtn bikes.

I'm also in dirtbikes and I can take a 2004 rear axle and put it on a new 2019 bike in some cases. On my motorcycle all parts from 09 to 17 are nearly identical. In mtn bike it seems every few years a bike is obsolete

mtbr member
    For axle I run a Fox Kabolt on the Front and Robert Axle Project on the rear: Lightning Bolt-on Axle - Rear 12 mm x 168-173 mm x 1.0 Thread (#LIG613)

I have seen people modify the carbine downtube protector to fit the Primer. If your bike is a Large you could try the Rock Guardz carbon: https://www.rockguardz.com/rockguard...l?options=cart

sag I do 20% rear and 25% front

I get some pedal scratches on my Primer, thinking of changing from 175 to 170 cranks to solve

rear tire clearance tight: I run forekaster 2.6 in front and forekaster 2.35 in back. You can probably get a 2.4 in back but not much more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

I just got my Primer Bandit frame built up and only have one ride in so far so I'll only comment on your tire clearance question.
    I'm currently running a Maxxis Rekon 2.4 WT in the back on 30i rims with good clearance but not sure I'd go much bigger, especially if you're concerned for mud clearance. Running a Maxxis Rekon 2.6 up front on a MRP Ribbon set at 140, really digging the 2.6 up front for my local terrain.

mtbr member
    I have Maxxis Rekon 2.4 rear and 2.6 front on the bike, this is a shot of the rear tire from the bottom. Tire measures 2.33 with i27 rim... looks like the chain stay width would be fine for larger tires but almost positive you would hit the linkage with 2.5-2.6 (linkage has about 8mm of clearance or so with my brand new (30 miles) 2.4's, assume they will change a bit after a few rides)

I am running 30% sag on the Monarch RL and between 20-25% in the Revelation RC 140mm fork. No idea if I have volume spacers installed yet or not, only had the bike a week, but 20% on the rear felt stiff/ruff night and day at 30%.... actually much better than I expected, really disliked the Monarch on my Specialized.

New Intense Primer 29er!-sbi_0561.jpg
    Last edited by Ray Lee; 08-01-2019 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Rockguardz makes a carbon downtube protector if you have the patience to boil it and mold it.

it works fine. no need to replace it. it is tooled at both ends and works great.

IME the clearance limiter is the lower link, not necessarily the seatstay yoke. To this end, a wider rim may actually help reduce OD of tire. either way, be prepared to break the file out to relieve said lower link.

yes.

bike doesn't have too much prob with rock strikes, but 140 works fine. will take some slight adjusting to in tight turns (it will want a push a bit more) but nothing major.

mtbr member
    Has anyone had too (or proactively) replaced any pivot bearings or hardware? Full disclosure I have over 2600 miles in 22 months and lots of that is on rocky, desert trails that use all the travel. But recently itís developed a creak under high torque, low speed climbing. Nothing on the flats pedaling or not, and nothing on the downhill. Evident in all three shock settings but more prominent in the open mode. I detail clean it every few weeks and link is lubed. Itís on the original PF92 RF cinch BB which I know has questionable long term reliability so I do plan on replacing that, but honestly the creaking really seems to originate well above the BB. Just looking for input from others. TIA!

mtbr member
    Iíll bet theyíre worn, mine were slightly worn with about half the mileage. I would rebuild the whole thing come winter with all new bearings. Shock rebuild too if you have not already. If you unbolt the shock at one end with the bike on a stand itís pretty easy to run it through itís travel and see how it feels/sounds as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlewski View Post
    Iíll bet theyíre worn, mine were slightly worn with about half the mileage. I would rebuild the whole thing come winter with all new bearings. Shock rebuild too if you have not already. If you unbolt the shock at one end with the bike on a stand itís pretty easy to run it through itís travel and see how it feels/sounds as well.
    Right on. I just did shock for second time a few weeks back,; it's so easy and always rides better after.

I didn't notice any abnormal "feeling" when cycling the SA, but I'm sure that is subjective at best.

Any special pullers/presses required? I have just about every tool available, but have never kept a bike long enough to need to replace pivot hardware. But this is my go too do it all bike, and don't plan on changing anytime soon. Hands down my favorite bike in 25 years of riding.

Intense has 4 "kits", upper and lower bearing and upper and lower hardware...is this a case of just needing to do all 4 while I'm in there?

https://parts.intensecycles.com/coll...nk-kits/primer

WTF is downcountry?
    IME the clearance limiter is the lower link, not necessarily the seatstay yoke. To this end, a wider rim may actually help reduce OD of tire. either way, be prepared to break the file out to relieve said lower link
    Plus if you run the recluse link 2.5 will buzz seatube at bottom out some have said, I run 30mm ID rims and the 2.4 Aggressor and XR4 2.4 fit fine, would probably fit fine with narrower rims too tho

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    yes. use the RWC bearing drift kit. it works great. loctite should help keep the bearings in place.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Not sure if this isnít allowed but Iím selling my custom 17 primer
    150 fork
    Will come with 140 airshaft extra
    And will come with recluse link
    Cxt brakes

Roval wheels

Handmade in Switzerland
    Which frame size?
    Quote Originally Posted by oftheworld View Post
    Not sure if this isnít allowed but Iím selling my custom 17 primer
    150 fork
    Will come with 140 airshaft extra
    And will come with recluse link
    Cxt brakes

Roval wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    Which frame size?
    Medium

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2510469/

mtbr member
    New Model is now out. Looks stunning.

https://intensecycles.com/collections/primer-29

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good look at the new bikes.
    https://youtu.be/1BmiAugiN9c

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not sure why they went shorter stroke then before. Its same stroke as old primer but more travel. Funny how many of use went with 57 stroke shock to get the 140mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    for a less progressive leverage curve maybe. just guessing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    So the recluse is now a primer 275

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So the recluse is now a primer 275

Well its a completelt different bike. Chainstays have gone from 419 to 433-4mm !
    Reach stays the same. Wheelbase a tiny bit longer. Actual seat tube looks a lot slacker.

Meh. I hoped for a large to have 470-480mm reach and say 425 chainstays

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I tried fitting Maxxis DHR II 2.5 WT on mine with the Reynolds 30IW rims and there was at most 1mm to spare after letting the tire expand overnight. Rather then letting it rub (especially with mud and debris) I took off the 2.5 and replaced it with the regular (non-WT) 2.4 DHR II. Its been great with that tire although I have often wondered how much better (if at all) it would have been with the 2.5. I wonder how much rear clearance there is on the new Primer - it could have more given the longer chainstay and greater offset to the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    im sure this was covered somewhere in the last 24 pages, but just a PSA...i recently put a 160 Lyrik on my Primer for fun (it's going on the new frame that's not here yet.. Large primer for sale!), and its AWESOME.

Coming from a 140mm MRP Ribbon, i thought it would be too tall, but the negative spring on the RS is so powerful and the beginning of the stroke is so active, it feels lower if anything than the 140mm Ribbon! the 42mm Offset is awesome too. Definitely the way to go. Zero downsides outside of ultra-tight switchbacks (which just require a little more body language to counter-weight the bike). It tracks way straighter and is far less twitchy at speed.

I've always been anti-SRAM and anti-industry fad, but both the 2020 RS Lyrik and the lower fork offset trends have been phenomenal.

Name:	lyrik.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	344.5 KB 
ID:	1253308
    Interesting; most articles I have read indicate that there is very little noticeable difference with a shorter offset fork - almost imperceptible (and in some cases a littl worse) when everything else is kept equal (e.g. exact same fork model, damper settings, spring settings, etc.). No doubt the fork is awesome and most of the change you are feeling may have very little to do with the offset. Seems the new Primer still has the "old" offset too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Meh. I hoped for a large to have 470-480mm reach and say 425 chainstays
    470-480? Not on a trail/all mtn bike bro. That's enduro bike sizing. Also, 425 can be too short, if you're hitting rougher down hills, not stable enough. I guess it just depends on what kind of trails you mostly ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie321 View Post
    Interesting; most articles I have read indicate that there is very little noticeable difference with a shorter offset fork - almost imperceptible (and in some cases a littl worse) when everything else is kept equal (e.g. exact same fork model, damper settings, spring settings, etc.). No doubt the fork is awesome and most of the change you are feeling may have very little to do with the offset. Seems the new Primer still has the "old" offset too.
    I mean, going from a 2.4 to a 2.6 tire is very noticeable, even at high pressure. offset is noticeable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Windband View Post
    470-480? Not on a trail/all mtn bike bro. That's enduro bike sizing.
    Not sure what you mean brah....but 475 is pretty standard reach on new ďtrail/all mountain bikesĒ...the new Fuel Ex...475 in L. New Ripley...475mm in L...as a couple of examples that are no where near ďenduroĒ...thatís about average reach in new trail bikes coming out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Not sure what you mean brah....but 475 is pretty standard reach on new ďtrail/all mountain bikesĒ...the new Fuel Ex...475 in L. New Ripley...475mm in L...as a couple of examples that are no where near ďenduroĒ...thatís about average reach in new trail bikes coming out.
    Just depends on who you look at. Norco and Devinci don't have bikes like that, and they are generally long. Even Ibis HD4 is way under, and the Ripmo is right at 470 and it's an enduro rig. But whateve. Bottom line is I'm not buying that mythology that a good bike is crazy long in reach, and I'm glad Intense isn't buying it either! Peace.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie321 View Post
    Offset is really noticeable with the right terrain. I remember testing at YT Jeffsy and the Primer on the same trails at Sedona Bike festival. The Primer was super nimble compared the Jeffsy. I remover getting back to the room and comparing number and could only fine one thing that would make sense. Fork offset. Now is it something that you wonít get use to absolutely not, but it definitely noticeable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Has anybody come across the paint code for the gray on the SL frames? I need to get some touch up paint...thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Email or call them ive found them to be exceptionally helpful with stuff like that

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks--I chatted with them yesterday, they couldn't come up with anything...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Damn I was hoping you could find out the orange color too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah, sorry, but I was able to discuss with creativefletch who recommended the Pantone color of PMS 7543 to match the gray. Orange? No idea!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Damn I was hoping you could find out the orange color too.
    Closest color orange is: Pantone 1505C

mtbr member
    What about the Primer yellow on my 2017?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    What tires are majority running on thier primers?

Mine has the Maxxis forecasters and I do like them, but I am curious of other options.

It's a trail bike so I didnt want to add heavy tires, i do have an Uzzi and a tracer.

I've seen a good deal on E13 tires but they have confusing options.

I've heard lots of good for aggressor on the rear but not so much the front.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Running a 2.5 Minion DHF on the front and forekaster rear. Works well and that chunky rubber out front inspires confidence when things are loose or wet.

mtbr member
    If you like forekasters but want a little more traction they make a 2.6 forekaster. I thought about going with that up front and a 2.35 rear. My other option that i am thinking of is Minion DHR 2.4 Front and 2.35 rear to help keep weight down. I think that would be a great agressive tire combo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vpc-los View Post
    If you like forekasters but want a little more traction they make a 2.6 forekaster. I thought about going with that up front and a 2.35 rear. My other option that i am thinking of is Minion DHR 2.4 Front and 2.35 rear to help keep weight down. I think that would be a great agressive tire combo.
    I wanted to keep weight down, I bought a set of the intense E13 wheels from the promo.

I had a DHR2 on the front and didnt really like it.. that was on my Uzzi, i switched to a 2.6 DHF after.

I may try the DHF 29x2.3 its not much extra weight but the extra grip will be worth it when I need it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    2.6 Rekon up front and 2.3 Aggressor in the back. Used to have the Forekaster front/back and the Aggressor is SO MUCH better for grip....less slide outs for sure. Rekon up front is beefy and can handle pretty much anything. Good roller too. I am interested in trying something a little smaller and grippier up front for my next tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RCederholm View Post
    2.6 Rekon up front and 2.3 Aggressor in the back. Used to have the Forekaster front/back and the Aggressor is SO MUCH better for grip....less slide outs for sure. Rekon up front is beefy and can handle pretty much anything. Good roller too. I am interested in trying something a little smaller and grippier up front for my next tire.
    I forgot about the Rekon, it seems like a good in between for the forekaster and DHF as a front tire. The DHF is a heavy tire.. it's at least 250 grams more, I'd gain more weight in tires than I'm losing with carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    I have 2.4 Rekons front and back and love them. They do just about everything I ask of them during New England trail riding. Curiousity is nudging me to try something a little beefier up front even though I don't really need it. A 29 x 2.4 DHF would be fun but overkill for most of what's going on around here. I keep coveting a 2.4 DHR2 with a Minnear cut but I'm still doing my research there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I am looking at a couple of changes on my 2017 Primer Pro.

1: I managed to strip the pedal threads on my X01 non-drive side crank ( a stupid, preventable, and expensive mistake ). I tend to smash my pedals and cranks where I ride and will most likely move down from 175mm to 170mm. Would anyone recommend replacing the X01 carbon with some aluminum cranks? Raceface Atlas maybe? or just keep the X01?
    2: I have been riding the stock M1700 wheels which are 22.5mm internal and considering a wider rim. LBS has a good deal on a set of 30mm SC Reserves ( a good deal for these is still expensive AF). Just looking for opinions on this rim width for the Primer, especially on the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've kept the stock Forekaster's and really like them.
    Like you said it's a trail bike, and we have a lot of climbing here and I feel like they grip well, handle some sandy spots pretty good, and corner well.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

mtbr member
    What size are those Forekasters and how do they measure up? I love my Rekons but want something with more tooth to reach through autumn leaves and pine needles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    According to maxxis the rekon is more aggressive than forekaster.

My forekasters work for 90% of my riding.. where they are near garbage on loose over hard but that's an area where many tires will lose traction. Over roots and rocks they work well. Obviously they will not grip like a DH tire but I'm still impressed. I may try a rekon up front just to see if it is better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

1: I managed to strip the pedal threads on my X01 non-drive side crank ( a stupid, preventable, and expensive mistake ). I tend to smash my pedals and cranks where I ride and will most likely move down from 175mm to 170mm. Would anyone recommend replacing the X01 carbon with some aluminum cranks? Raceface Atlas maybe? or just keep the X01?
    2: I have been riding the stock M1700 wheels which are 22.5mm internal and considering a wider rim. LBS has a good deal on a set of 30mm SC Reserves ( a good deal for these is still expensive AF). Just looking for opinions on this rim width for the Primer, especially on the rear.
    I'm a fan of alloy cranks just because they (cranks) can really take a beating, and I don't always trust carbon. There are some places on my bike that I don't like carbon. Plus, as I'm sure you're finding out, alloy are way cheaper to replace, if needed.

What kind of riding do you do? Do you race? 30mm is awesome for all mountain riding, but XC guys prob won't like them. It widens your footprint quite a bit... = more rolling resistance. If you race, i would stay 22-23mm. If you don't race, but want more grip, maybe look at the Stans Arch MKIII rims. They're quite light and are 26mm wide.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm a fan of alloy cranks just because they (cranks) can really take a beating, and I don't always trust carbon. There are some places on my bike that I don't like carbon. Plus, as I'm sure you're finding out, alloy are way cheaper to replace, if needed.

What kind of riding do you do? Do you race? 30mm is awesome for all mountain riding, but XC guys prob won't like them. It widens your footprint quite a bit... = more rolling resistance. If you race, i would stay 22-23mm. If you don't race, but want more grip, maybe look at the Stans Arch MKIII rims. They're quite light and are 26mm wide.
    I won't be racing this bike. I will most likely keep the current rims and run lightweight tires on them for a XC setup (maybe using 115 setting on the Primer). I am looking for Trail to light Enduro type of setup for the wider wheels. I ride in the Mid Atlantic and enjoy chunky and somewhat technical stuff with small jumps/drops but not reaching the speeds that the West Coasters do.The aluminum cranks are just out of the paranoia of smacking them on rocks, which I do every ride to some degree. Are there any aluminum cranks that you recommend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I won't be racing this bike. I will most likely keep the current rims and run lightweight tires on them for a XC setup (maybe using 115 setting on the Primer). I am looking for Trail to light Enduro type of setup for the wider wheels. I ride in the Mid Atlantic and enjoy chunky and somewhat technical stuff with small jumps/drops but not reaching the speeds that the West Coasters do.The aluminum cranks are just out of the paranoia of smacking them on rocks, which I do every ride to some degree. Are there any aluminum cranks that you recommend?
    Makes sense. I like Race Face a lot. Their Aeffect Cinch crank is really nice and won't break the bank. Which SRAM bottom bracket do you have? The GX Eagle Dub crankset is good and won't break the bank either. Shimano is great quality, but more money than those and you may have less chain ring options...you'll have to look around. Race Face, Wolftooth, and SRAM all make great chain rings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New Intense Primer 29er!

I own an upgraded 2017 Primer Pro too. I have a very light build on it and was running DTXMC1200 which are outstanding. I recently moved the XMC wheels to my XC bike and put on Roval Traverse SL 30mm ID. I am not running much tire. They are only 2.35 the rim spread them really well. I am super happy with a 30ID wheel on my Primer. And I am an XC guy too so thereís that. Ditch the little M1700 if you can. I also run the rear 115 and although not as fast as my XC bike it is a very fast trail bike and I prefer the 115 setting. Iíd keep the XO cranks use some rubber crank arm boots and check your air on the rear. I do not strike my cranks very often but you may be more aggressive a rider than I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Makes sense. I like Race Face a lot. Their Aeffect Cinch crank is really nice and won't break the bank. Which SRAM bottom bracket do you have? The GX Eagle Dub crankset is good and won't break the bank either. Shimano is great quality, but more money than those and you may have less chain ring options...you'll have to look around. Race Face, Wolftooth, and SRAM all make great chain rings.
    Currently a GXP BB. I may replace it with DUB if I decide on a whole new SRAM crankset. Depends on how well the seals have worked on the GXP so far. I go through creeks on every ride so the improved DUB seal may be worthwhile. Leaning towards SRAM for the simplicity of the entire crankset, but still mentally debating the GX vs X01 cranks. Looks like 4-5 oz difference and $270. Not chump change. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Bontrager line 30 comp is what i run on my bike heck of a wheel for the money and has 108 points of engagement

mtbr member
    Just as an update I wanted to say that was exactly it, dropped to one token and same psi and the fork seems to be more supple and stay lower in the travel and turns about as quickly as my niner jet 9, thanks for the suggestions. Dialing in this fork was much harder for me than my Pike or 34 Rhythm on other bikes.
    Rear suspension on this Primer is outstanding, I'm still at the 130mm setting and can't imagine needing more. I may try a different shock in the future, currently it's a float evol, but feels great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    excellent! glad to hear it.

mtbr member
    Hay guys! Hope everyone came out of the holidays mostly unscathed  Iím sorry to spam out this tread but Iím trying to sell my primer fast! Iíve not been on my bike or mtbr in some time because of major heath issues Iíve had over the last 2+ years. I started not feeling right the fall of 2017 and itís been down hill since there. I was a lean 175-180lbs and Iím just getting back in the 150s from 135lbs. This past year I did get about a dozen or so small rides in as I was starting feel a little better but Iím so weak and my joints a feel like bag of gravel. Iíd rather not go through eBay but will likely have too. Anyways Iíve got a 2017 primer pro that I upgraded to a elite-factor level with xtr brakes and derby/Hope wheels. I should have sold last year or even sooner but I love the bike. I can give more info if thereís interest. My wife said sheíd sell her recluse which is also pumped out. Please PM
    Large primerSL recluse and carbon link three shocks to chose from two are 57mm 140mm
    140mm fox34
    Xo1 drivetrain
    Xtr brakes
    175 reverb
    Derbyhope wheels New Intense Primer 29er!-d87b219f-8525-4186-8cfa-35b9f2ba75b0.jpeg

If I sell the rest of my businessí equipment Iíll try to keep it and try riding next summer. Cheers guys
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay guys! Hope everyone came out of the holidays mostly unscathed  Iím sorry to spam out this tread but Iím trying to sell my primer fast! Iíve not been on my bike or mtbr in some time because of major heath issues Iíve had over the last 2+ years. I started not feeling right the fall of 2017 and itís been down hill since there. I was a lean 175-180lbs and Iím just getting back in the 150s from 135lbs. This past year I did get about a dozen or so small rides in as I was starting feel a little better but Iím so weak and my joints a feel like bag of gravel. Iíd rather not go through eBay but will likely have too. Anyways Iíve got a 2017 primer pro that I upgraded to a elite-factor level with xtr brakes and derby/Hope wheels. I should have sold last year or even sooner but I love the bike. I can give more info if thereís interest. My wife said sheíd sell her recluse which is also pumped out. Please PM
    Large primerSL recluse and carbon link three shocks to chose from two are 57mm 140mm
    140mm fox34
    Xo1 drivetrain
    Xtr brakes
    175 reverb
    Derbyhope wheels Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D87B219F-8525-4186-8CFA-35B9F2BA75B0.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	1301503

If I sell the rest of my businessí equipment Iíll try to keep it and try riding next summer. Cheers guys
    @Vice grips,

Very sorry to hear about the health issues! Take care of yourself. You can always get another bike if you feel better. Here's to a better 2020 for you!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your poor health. Keep moving forward and you'll get there before you know it.

Can I ask for more info like...the price, perhaps?

Are you in New England?

mtbr member
    Iíd like to get $3,000, Iíd like more of course but to move it quickly I think itís a fair price? Yes Iím in central NH
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Started off on stock Forecaster 2.35 F and R. Ran a 2.6 forecaster up front for a bit. Liked that tire for more heavy duty downhill riding. Now back on 2.35's to speed up the bike a bit, when they wear out I may try Bontrager XR2 rear 2.35 and XR3 Front 2.4 as they are durable and not much money.

What tires are majority running on thier primers?

Mine has the Maxxis forecasters and I do like them, but I am curious of other options.

It's a trail bike so I didnt want to add heavy tires, i do have an Uzzi and a tracer.

I've seen a good deal on E13 tires but they have confusing options.

I've heard lots of good for aggressor on the rear but not so much the front.

mtbr member
    I was on 2.35NN front and rear for a while, then put a last gen Hans Dampf up front before switching to Maxxis Rekon at both ends. Those were great until the trails started to hold dampness like they do in the fall. Moved on to a 2.4 Bontrager XR4 up front and an SE4 in back. Fantastic combo for New England riding but when the summer comes I'll put a Rekon back on the rear to pick up some speed on dry trails. Those Bontragers though!!!! Fantastic tires!

mtbr member
    This thread seems to be mostly about taking the Primer and making it longer travel. Been there, done that. The bike works great but has limits. Mine has been set up with a Works -1 degree headset, 140/140 and has been and awesome long distance trail bike. I have 140 in the rear with the carbon Primer link and a custom 54mm stroke length shock. I crashed the bike last summer and had to get a crash replacement front triangle (in black to go with my grey and blue rear triangle). While waiting for that to happen I ended up with a Ripmo in my garage. No idea how it got there????

Primer is going light weight/ short travel. I just built some Al xc hoops, ordered a 120 Fox 34sc to put on the front and moved the shock to the lower/ short travel setting. I will still run the Works angel headset and the custom long shock which will give roughly 120 in the rear. I believe it will be the ultimate "downcountry" bike. I'll update as I get the fork set up and the bike dialed in. But man she feels fast with the xc wheels and rubber. Gonna be a ripper with the new fork.
    Making a poor choice while riding is still a good choice

mtbr member
    Primer Bandit is finally completed.
    Mine is #17 of 100

26 lbs 11 ounces WITH XT pedals and Forekaster tires.

Just upgraded to Carbon 165 Cranks to reduce pedal strikes and Eagle XG-1295 rear cassette.

Major upgrades: carbon bars, Bontrager Kovee carbon wheels, carbon cranks and Fox 34 air shaft to make fork 140.

Loving the Primer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Intense Primer 29er!-primer.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Primer Bandit is finally completed.
    Mine is #17 of 100

26 lbs 11 ounces WITH XT pedals and Forekaster tires.

Just upgraded to Carbon 165 Cranks to reduce pedal strikes and Eagle XG-1295 rear cassette.

Major upgrades: carbon bars, Bontrager Kovee carbon wheels, carbon cranks and Fox 34 air shaft to make fork 140.

Loving the Primer!
    Very nice. And great weight. Must be really light wheels. It is the SL frame or the NM?

mtbr member
    Hi Trmn8er I believe the Bandit version used the SL frame it's a 2018 special edition bike. I'm real happy with the weight and capability of the bike. The 140 front fork helps along with the the bigger rear brake rotor I installed.

The wheels are Bontrager Kovee 29mm ID probably dropped 1.5 lbs off the stock wheels.

I noticed a few pedal strikes when I ran the rear shock in full open so the 165mm carbon cranks should help with that and the crank/X01 cassette upgrade was big for dropping weight too.

I sold off the old handlebars, wheels and drivetrain parts to help with the upgrades.

I bought the bike new on closeout 25% off which was surprising to me as only 100 were made. Have not see Intense to too many special edition bikes lately so maybe it was just a temporary fad...
    Last edited by newking; 04-13-2020 at 01:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    @newking Enjoy that badass bike. I freaking love my Primer. Got in 22 this morning. Close to 3k on mine as I ride it quite often.

Last edited by trmn8er; 04-21-2020 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member

165 cranks

following up on my upgrade to 165mm cranks

**may not be for everyone but definitely noticing less pedal scratches and strikes on the Primer.

Ran the shock in full open position the whole ride at a rocky / baby head infested local place called 'vietnam" (Nam).

I dropped down from 175 to 165 and put a 34 oval on the chain ring. Bike pedals great!

Much better set up with the ability to run full open shock and it really open's up the potential of the bike vs flipping the lever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    my slow-twitch quads ache just at the thought of running 165s lol. i have to run a 30T even with 175s tho..

mtbr member
    Yeah I hear you and it may not be for everyone. Google says a 165 is .39 inches shorter than a 175

The other interesting thing to look at is how close the pedal inserts are drilled into the cranks. I started looking at this and on my 165's they are pretty close to the end of the crank. You really start to notice some differences depending on the manufacturer.

My gravel bike has pedal inserts much higher in the crank

A buddy of mine has a pair of race face cranks that are 175 but the pedal insert is much higher in the crank towards the spindle as well

My fat bike circa 2016 has pedal inserts very close to the end of the crank

so it's an interesting thing to look at....

my slow-twitch quads ache just at the thought of running 165s lol. i have to run a 30T even with 175s tho..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anyone know whether the Fabric waterbottle cage will work with this frame? It looks as if it is a tight fit with the curvy downtube.

https://fabric.cc/products/hydration...5ml-insulated/

mtbr member
    To all with this model of Primer, how's it going?

I'm just about to crest 4K miles, and it'll be 3 years old in October.

This is the longest I've ever owned a bike, by a long shot.

I've done short XC races, 12 hour marathons, enduros and tons of trail riding, this bike is such a do it all. I feel like it set the "downcountry" bar years before. Other than loosing the measly downtube "protector" the first week, zero frame issues.

But, with all that time/miles I do start to wonder how much longer I should push it? It has value now, which I could use to put towards something newer. If I crack it, then it's useless.

Part of me also wants to move it to a bit lighter duty, as I added a 160/150 Rallon to the stable last fall. Kind of interested in the Fox 34 SC 120 and switch the rear to 115 with some lighter tires. Anyone move their Primer to a less burly approach?

mtbr member

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post

I've done short XC races, 12 hour marathons, enduros and tons of trail riding, this bike is such a do it all. I feel like it set the "downcountry" bar years before. Other than loosing the measly downtube "protector" the first week, zero frame issues.

But, with all that time/miles I do start to wonder how much longer I should push it? It has value now, which I could use to put towards something newer. If I crack it, then it's useless.

Part of me also wants to move it to a bit lighter duty, as I added a 160/150 Rallon to the stable last fall. Kind of interested in the Fox 34 SC 120 and switch the rear to 115 with some lighter tires. Anyone move their Primer to a less burly approach?
    Purchased mine in March 2017. I normally keep bikes for a 1.5 to 2 years. Most versatile bike I have ever owned. Plan to keep it for a long time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post

Look at my posts above. This is the way I have my Primer setup. XC setup and Iím very happy with it at 26 lbs. with pedals.

Last edited by trmn8er; 08-13-2020 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have also had mine for almost 3 years. Have a quite light setup with a Primer SL, XO gear and carbon wheels. Am considering going from Forekaster to Dissector on the front and from Ardent race to Rekon on the rear. Even though I am 42 and almost a weekend warrior (3 kids and a wife keep me busy) I still get Top 30-50-100 strava times on this in a 3-4000 field. I am surprised how quick it is. I am curious about the new geo downcountry bikes (Spur, Kona Hei Hei, Ibis Ripley, Yeti SB-115 etc.) would make me much faster or if the difference is marginal. Anyone tried some of these new bikes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Hi there, looking for some help in pricing a used 2017 Primer Pro with a custom build, looks like a perfect bike for the type of riding I do. Supposedly cost close to $9500 new with wheel set (Ibis 942 carbon), front fork FOX 36. I have read here that customs builds were at least $2000 over priced vs a self build. Bike has not been ridden much per seller and it is local so I can see it and even test ride. Ask price is $3999, if bike is as advertised what do you guys think is a fair price to offer? Thx in advance

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Did a short test ride and loved the Primer Pro, really nice upgrades. Looked virtually new and was able to get it for $3000 which seems a decent deal. Goin out for a longer spin now, am stoked!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by drak View Post
    Did a short test ride and loved the Primer Pro, really nice upgrades. Looked virtually new and was able to get it for $3000 which seems a decent deal. Goin out for a longer spin now, am stoked!
    What year Primer are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    I purchased a "barely used" 2017 model

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    What year Primer are you talking about?
    Congrats!
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Congrats!
    Thanks, what tire set ups are folks using on this bike? I assume 2.4 is max size on rear?

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Was not able to do any riding since I bought the used Primer Pro given the horrific smoke/air quality we've had where I live in Bend, Or. Today was finally clear and I was able to ride a fast flowing high desert type trail that I have ridden for the past 10-15 yrs. Keep in mind I have been riding a very old (12-15 yrs) Fischer hard tail Paragon 29'er and its really old geometry and did not really fit me that well. So I take out the Primer this morning and I tied my PR on this trail and this is my first trail ride on this bike. My bike conditioning is average as I have not been riding that much, so I was not pushing hard, especially in the first 3-4 miles as I got used to the bike.
    This bike is so "easy fast" compared to my old bike I felt I was expending a lot less energy when climbing or maintaining or even getting up to speed, and the stability at speed and handling in turns was light yrs better that my very old school bike and really started increasing my confidence level as the ride progressed. It was just so much more nimble and having a FSR bike for the first time ever was a revelation as well, especially for this 64 yr old rider - why did I wait so long? This bike is going to have me riding a lot more.
    Tire wise it came with Nobby Nics at 2.35 rear and 2.25 front, these are light but seemed to handle the fast non technical terrain today as well as my DHF/Agressor combo on my old bike. Got a big fat smile on my face!

Thanks, what tire set ups are folks using on this bike? I assume 2.4 is max size on rear?
    Iím not sure the max on a 2017. Mines a 2020 and the rear triangle is different. Iím running Front: Maxxis High Roller II 29" x 2.50Ē / Rear: Maxxis Agressor 29x 2.30Ē. Love this combo for the dirt I ride.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213