New Intense 5.5 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New Intense 5.5 29er

Hot on the heels of the 4 inch travel Spider 29er comes the new 5.5 29er(actually 5.75 inches of travel) Available later this spring. Let us know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nice!

What's the head tube angle? It looks like some one rode it straight into a brick wall.

banned
    Dope! Totally dope!

I love it when I can use those 2 words positively in a sentance!

Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pecusick
    Hot on the heels of the 4 inch travel Spider 29er comes the new 5.5 29er(actually 5.75 inches of travel) Available later this spring. Let us know what you think.
    Looks like a upside down stem mount. What stem are you specing?
    Funny....I'll second the "brick wall" look.
    "Never write when you can talk. Never talk when you can nod. And never put anything in an e-mail." - Eliot Spitzer, former NY state attorney general

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Please just send me one of those in "Works" instead of the Spider 29 frame I've been waiting on since September. Size large, with a ETT of 24.75" please, I have a WB fluid 130 waiting.

Steve
    Last edited by cruzthepug; 12-26-2006 at 07:50 PM.

mtbr member
    PLEASE don't even think of making a 29 downhill bike!
    Intense has always been recognized as THE company making the fastest gravity bikes. It kind of sucks when guys on SS 29"ers talk to you on the trail and ask you: oh, an Intense, I didn't know they are also making small wheeled freeride bikes. I just know their Spider 29!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider
    PLEASE don't even think of making a 29 downhill bike!
    Intense has always been recognized as THE company making the fastest gravity bikes. It kind of sucks when guys on SS 29"ers talk to you on the trail and ask you: oh, an Intense, I didn't know they are also making small wheeled freeride bikes. I just know their Spider 29!
    Sounds like a perfect reason to get a 29er DH/FR bike into production.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Sounds like a perfect reason to get a 29er DH/FR bike into production.

Any advantages?
    Having no choice of tires and rims and being too large for average sized riders doesn't sound appealing to me. Also the issues with building wheels that can take the beating would be hard deal with.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Any advantages?
    Having no choice of tires and rims and being too large for average sized riders doesn't sound appealing to me. Also the issues with building wheels that can take the beating would be hard deal with.
    There have been 4 new bigger 29" tires come out in just the last couple of months.

Panaracer Rampage 2.35
    Kenda Nevegal 2.2
    WTB WeirWolf 2.55
    Specialized Resolution Pro 2.3

The trend for "trail bikes" now is in the 5" travel range and unless your into doing a lot of big drops, it's not a problem to build a wheel that will hold up to everyday trail riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    There have been 4 new bigger 29" tires come out in just the last couple of months.

Panaracer Rampage 2.35
    Kenda Nevegal 2.2
    WTB WeirWolf 2.55
    Specialized Resolution Pro 2.3

The trend for "trail bikes" now is in the 5" travel range and unless your into doing a lot of big drops, it's not a problem to build a wheel that will hold up to everyday trail riding.
    Are those 2 ply tires? Rim choices? Tubeless?
    I was refering to the DH bike idea. I guess it is possible to build a strong enough wheel for trail riding but real DH?
    BCD played around with a 29" DH bike and reduced the travel to 6" to fit the wheels. Guess in DH racing this is a dead end like 24" wheels.

banned
    Any advantages?
    Don't worry, others will bring it along with their wallets so that you can come in later when the fruit is ripe, and pick up something used for a good deal so that you can go faster.

Building strong wheels is hardly a problem. Just let others handle the parts you think are hard. It is already happening. You can just watch.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Guess in DH racing this is a dead end like 24" wheels.
    I wouldn't say it's dead , it's just in the embryo stage. With the Kris Holm rim a suitable DH wheel could be built, but for tires your right, not quite there yet but give it some time.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    What is the weight difference between the Spider 29 and the 5.5 29? Will there be a XL or something close to a 25" ETT?

Steve

Saucy Size
    Hot!

I'd buy one if the HA was a touch slacker (looks like at least 71 degrees with a ... what's the fork on there, anyway? I'd aim for 70 with a 130mm fork) and the BB was a bit lower. That's just eyeballing it, based on my couple years on a 5.5.

Is it going to be any more durable than the original 5.5? A 5.75" travel 29er is just begging for abuse.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    My bad on the photo, I will get a better one that is not so distorted.
    This is the first proto and will most likely make one more with dif numbers.
    Proto #1 @ 72 HA , 73 SA, 18.25 CS, 13.25 " BB with 130 fork. Current fork is new Manitou @ 120mm and am building wheel for 130 WB., 2.35 Panaracer Rampages work great.I must say this bike is a blast!! only a slight weight penalty over Spider 29.
    Remember the big wheels realy change the normal geometry dynamics, and add a lot of stability @ speed, also more travel means more sag so this all relates to the head angle.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense
    My bad on the photo, I will get a better one that is not so distorted.
    This is the first proto and will most likely make one more with dif numbers.
    Proto #1 @ 72 HA , 73 SA, 18.25 CS, 13.25 " BB with 130 fork. Current fork is new Manitou @ 120mm and am building wheel for 130 WB., 2.35 Panaracer Rampages work great.I must say this bike is a blast!! only a slight weight penalty over Spider 29.
    Remember the big wheels realy change the normal geometry dynamics, and add a lot of stability @ speed, also more travel means more sag so this all relates to the head angle.
    Thanks for the specs, Jeff.

I'm currently riding a Kona Explosif 29er (and a 6.6!), and IIRC the Explosif's HA is 71 degrees. The HA's math is steeper than it feels, but, yeah, the bike is very stable at speed. I hear what you're saying about the sag and the impact on the HA -- probably one of those gotta-try-it things.

Looking forward to another pic. This one, to me, looks steep and tall. Maybe an original 5.5 next to it for comparison's sake?

My wish list: 71 HA, 72 SA, 18.5 CS, 13.25 BB with 130 fork. The other thing on my wish list, but out of your power, is a 29er 150mm air fork! Here's hoping.

p.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    All this talk of 5.5 29er this Slopestyle that is just lovely but can you get on and make some large Socom's DAMN IT!!!!!

the Slopestyle looks cool, but make the darn Socom's will you!!!

My mate has just ordered his (2nd) M3 and he is going to get it b4 I get my Socom, and I ordered in early October!!! Simon Ford is doing you guys proud over here so look after him!!

Feeling a little taller
    It's purdy! Is there a trade-in deal for when I break my Tracer? Not that I expect that to happen any time soon...
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Don't worry, others will bring it along with their wallets so that you can come in later when the fruit is ripe, and pick up something used for a good deal so that you can go faster.

Building strong wheels is hardly a problem. Just let others handle the parts you think are hard. It is already happening. You can just watch.

I will wait like I did with the 24" wheels, 3" tires, biopace chainrings ...., and they all never really got mainstream. Ultimately someone has to proof that they are faster by winning races! Meanwhile I will rock 26" bikes and have fun.
    These trends come and go, the good 'ol 26 will survive as it is the best compromise between stability and weight for the harder riding part of MTB-ers. I just think it is funny, in the 90s bike companies were pushing the 28" trekking bikes as being faster than mountainbikes. Some even had 28" front wheels and 26" rear wheels to combine 'advantages of both'! History repeating. So I don't see why a concept that didn't work in the 90s should work now. There is a chance though as companies are supporting the trend that know what they are doing .
    BTW: I never had problems with wheels that I build

banned
    I will wait like I did with the 24" wheels, 3" tires, biopace chainrings ...., and they all never really got mainstream. Ultimately someone has to proof that they are faster by winning races!
    And that right there is the problem. You want some racer to win something somewhere like it has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with YOU....

I don't buy bikes based on what "racers" do or don't do. I buy bikes that suit ME as a rider. I don't know why you buy bikes, but I hope it isn't because of some race....

Meanwhile I will rock 26" bikes and have fun.
    That's nice. Have you ever ridden a 29er?

These trends come and go
    So the 29er is just a "trend" huh? Have you ever ridden a 29er?

the good 'ol 26 will survive as it is the best compromise between stability and weight for the harder riding part of MTB-ers.
    It is? How do you know that? How many 29er wheelsets have you ridden on? How many do you own? How many have you laced up? Better yet... how many have you tacoed or destroyed? How many spokes have you had to replace in your vast 29er wheel experience? The fact is that it is very easy to have a 29er wheel laced up that is lighter, stronger, and more stable than most 26" wheels that most people ride minus the more aggressive disciplines of the sport, and that is just a matter of time. A more FR/DH type of discipline is a perfectly good reason to avoid a 29er right now.

I just think it is funny, in the 90s bike companies were pushing the 28" trekking bikes as being faster than mountainbikes. Some even had 28" front wheels and 26" rear wheels to combine 'advantages of both'! History repeating. So I don't see why a concept that didn't work in the 90s should work now. There is a chance though as companies are supporting the trend that know what they are doing .
    BTW: I never had problems with wheels that I build
    Suspension was the same way... and disc brakes... and aluminum frames... and clipless pedals... and and and and and... Is that stuff funny too? It took some failure before all those examples went mainstream. It was funny to a lot of people....

Ideas grow up. Materials get bettter. Methods of material use advance.

The 29er is one of those ideas. You are just watching and even describing the metamorphosis.

Have you ever ridden one??

AussieLostInNyc
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B

My wish list: 71 HA, 72 SA, 18.5 CS, 13.25 BB with 130 fork. The other thing on my wish list, but out of your power, is a 29er 150mm air fork! Here's hoping.

p.
    I 2nd that or even 70 HA.
    You guys know what you are doing however so I am sure it will be good. The spider is apparently great at it's application.
    Hopefully the 5.5 29'er will prove to be the same.
    A hard riding 'AM' sort of rig. Built to pedal all day but take some abuse as well!!
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

mtbr member
    Chill, why are you 29er guys so angry people?

And that right there is the problem. You want some racer to win something somewhere like it has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with YOU....

I don't buy bikes based on what "racers" do or don't do. I buy bikes that suit ME as a rider. I don't know why you buy bikes, but I hope it isn't because of some race....
    What other reason do you buy a DOWNHILL RACE BIKE for if not to win races/be the fastest bike?

That's nice. Have you ever ridden a 29er?
    So the 29er is just a "trend" huh? Have you ever ridden a 29er?
    I have demoed them but they felt strange from the beginning. No suspension, heavy, slow accelerating wheels and the position on the bike was something I didn't like. I guess if you are over 6' the geometry will be fine. They just felt like the trekking bikes of old.
    I ride quite often with 29er guys in the local mountains (they are not that angry type of guys ). Those bikes are fast on the forest roads, but cross bikes are even faster. On smooth trails with flow they are fast, but not that much different to a short travel suspension bike. In the rough, twisty, technical stuff the roll better over bigger obstacles but have their problems if it gets too tight or fast. So basically the bikes resemble cross bikes on forest roads and the geometry of 6" travel bikes on trails without offering the advantage of that much travel. The guys I ride with are on rigid 29ers though.

It is? How do you know that? How many 29er wheelsets have you ridden on? How many do you own? How many have you laced up? Better yet... how many have you tacoed or destroyed? How many spokes have you had to replace in your vast 29er wheel experience? The fact is that it is very easy to have a 29er wheel laced up that is lighter, stronger, and more stable than most 26" wheels that most people ride minus the more aggressive disciplines of the sport, and that is just a matter of time.
    I know how durable 26" and 28" wheels are, no 29" wheel experience myself. I further know that bigger wheels result in worser angles of the spokes. You need higher spoke tension to build a similar stiff wheel. Easier to taco. Basic wheel building physics, you know? But if suddenly some guys come along and tell me that you can build stiffer, more durable, maintenance free wheels in 29" I instantly believe it! Just f*** all the physics and what wheelbuilders experienced for years!

A more FR/DH type of discipline is a perfectly good reason to avoid a 29er right now.
    Nothing else did I state in my previous post!

the good 'ol 26 will survive as it is the best compromise between stability and weight for the harder riding part of MTB-ers.

Suspension was the same way... and disc brakes... and aluminum frames... and clipless pedals... and and and and and... Is that stuff funny too? It took some failure before all those examples went mainstream. It was funny to a lot of people....
    They came to the scene and STAYED. This 28"-with-fat-tires trend came and faded away within some years. Now it is back again. Will it stay?

Ideas grow up. Materials get bettter. Methods of material use advance.

The 29er is one of those ideas. You are just watching and even describing the metamorphosis.
    Granted, it is finally a way to build a bike for big guys. Being no member of this part of the population I PERSONALLY see no advantage for me to ride one. But I like the bigger bikes better anyway

Recovering
    I ride an Uzzi VPX and a hardtail 29er, and this is the bike I've been waiting for. 70-71 head angle would be fine by me (but I'm used to trail riding the Uzzi with 170mm fork, so anything's gonna be steeper for me). If the final production HA is a tad steeper than I'd like, I'd massage that with a Ventana +7 crown race to add a little slack and a little BB height (the 14"+ bb on my Uzzi still yields plenty of pedal strikes up here in the rocky NE). The Uzzi is a miracle bike- I'm always amazed at what I can climb on that bike with a 170mm fork- so I trust Intense to build a 5.5 29er that's much greater than just the numbers on paper.

29ers are not a cure-all panacea, but at 6-4, I'm not ever going back to a 26" wheeled XC/trail bike. Will 29ers work for DH? I'm not rushing out to replace the Uzzi right now, but I'm curious to see where it goes. If someone offers a compelling fork/wheel/tire option, I'd definitely give it a shot. All these theoretical arguments for and against are crap. And it's curious you bring up BCD, iRider, since he's still VERY committed to his 29er DH bike project, and is convinced of the benefits of 29" wheels for DH.

But the 5.5 isn't a DH bike. It's the perfect application of 29" wheels in trailbike form- solid frame for long, fun rides on technical terrain. I just hope the prototyping moves fast, so we don't have to wait a year for them to start shipping!
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    29ers are not a cure-all panacea, but at 6-4, I'm not ever going back to a 26" wheeled XC/trail bike. Will 29ers work for DH? I'm not rushing out to replace the Uzzi right now, but I'm curious to see where it goes. If someone offers a compelling fork/wheel/tire option, I'd definitely give it a shot. All these theoretical arguments for and against are crap. And it's curious you bring up BCD, iRider, since he's still VERY committed to his 29er DH bike project, and is convinced of the benefits of 29" wheels for DH.
    You are right with the Uzzi, it is so versatile, just amazing. No way any bike can replace an Uzzi!
    I brought up BCD because I think it is an interesting idea with a 29" DH bike. If they can work out the issues it may be something, but the real question is: will it be faster? Could be a good Sea Otter bike.....
    I am not totally with you on the theoretical arguments being crap. If you spend so much money on a bike it should be well thought out thing, not a work in progress. And especially for DH bikes there are other problems to adress first IMHO.
    When I am looking at US manufacturers they concentrate much of their effort on building 29ers, single speed bikes, cross bikes. Maybe because the market demands it. Looking at the reports from Eurobike it seems to me that nearly every reputable manufacturer had a gearbox bike on display. This will be the future and I think more US brands need to focus on that. And I was assuming that an innovative brand like Intense would work more on this instead of focusing on different wheel sizes. It is IMO fixing something that is not broken because the market demands it. The gearbox thing is what will ultimately bring the trouble free bike. Enclosed transmission can't get dirty and if you ride in the mud quite often you know how conventional drivetrains look like after a ride (no problem for you SoCal boys I guess ). This is a problem that needs all our focus right now and companies like Nicolai are on top of that game. Wouldn't it be sweet to have the all trouble free bike, no matter what wheelsize?

Recovering
    Sounds like you need to start a new thread, since that's way, way off-topic.

For now, a 29er 5.5 is an utterly fantastic idea, with a MUCH larger potential market than a gearbox DH race bike, so Intense's focus is merited. The 29er trailbike/all-mountain market is completely underserved (with only 2 existing 5" travel 29ers in existance), so in many ways the 5.5 29er will define this market segment. Now all we need is Rock Shox to get on board with a 130+mm 29er fork with thru-axle...

Saucy Size
    Being no member of this part of the population I PERSONALLY see no advantage for me to ride one.
    So why are you even putting in your $0.02?

p.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to start a new thread, since that's way, way off-topic.

For now, a 29er 5.5 is an utterly fantastic idea, with a MUCH larger potential market than a gearbox DH race bike, so Intense's focus is merited. The 29er trailbike/all-mountain market is completely underserved (with only 2 existing 5" travel 29ers in existance), so in many ways the 5.5 29er will define this market segment. Now all we need is Rock Shox to get on board with a 130+mm 29er fork with thru-axle...
    Sorry, but he asked for opinions!

i heart singletrack
    Guess in DH racing this is a dead end like 24" wheels.
    yup... might as well just give up. that's the spirit.

mark my words, in ten years, sales of 26-inch wheeled bikes, including dh and big terrain bikes, will be in the minority to sales of bigger wheeled bikes.

i ride with guys and gals down to 5 feet 5 inches that love, and swear by, their 29ers. don't think it's just limited to 6+ footers like myself.

i can't wait to replace my stinky deluxe with a 29er big bike. i'm sold on 29ers, now i want my 29er big bike! (my spider 29 will be here in january, but that's clearly not a "big" bike.)

not so super...
    What fork would you use on this frame. There are not too many forks out there that would mate well with a 5.5" (5.75 actual?) travel frame. WB has a 130 but that is about it or is that a new model from Manitou with a thru-axle and a similar amount of travel??
    Nothing to see here.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    mark my words, in ten years, sales of 26-inch wheeled bikes, including dh and big terrain bikes, will be in the minority to sales of bigger wheeled bikes.
    I don't agree. I love my 29er for trail riding, but with the influx of jumps into freeriding, bigger 29er wheels *are* at a disadvantage- the bigger wheels aren't smooth up steep-lipped jumps, and the longer chainstays are a big problem. Even trailriding, I've noticed how much smoother steep rollers with tight transitions are on 26's. Then there's the standover issue. Bigger wheels with big travel means taller front ends necessitating radically bent tubes to get decent standover for the gravity set. Guys I ride run seats so low they buzz their 26 wheels at bottom-out, so with bigger 29 wheels and the same seat height, that's an even bigger problem.

Each wheel size has its benefits and its drawbacks. For XC and trailriding, the benefits of 29's far outweigh the drawbacks, but when it comes to freeriding, I think 26's will continue to offer more benefits. DH racing is a toss-up. The skimming ability of the bigger wheels will appeal to some, while others will be turned off by the higher bar height or the loss in front travel to maintain the same bar height.

The "29ers will take over the MTB world" hyperbole is silly. It's not going to happen, and honestly, it shouldn't happen. 29's will excel at what they're best at. 26's will stick around and do what they already do very well...

No, that's not phonetic
    I demoed the 29er Spider at Ibike this year along with a 5.5 two years now, and rented the regular Spider a few years ago for a day in Moab. I do see a pretty consistent design philosophy from Intense leaning towards extremely steep head angles for a given application. It does come down to personal preference, of course, and Jeff and Co can throw any geometry on a model they see fit, but the resulting handling from those head angles seriously detracts from the enjoyment of the ride, especially on the 5.5 and 29er Spider imo. More so on the 5.5, though the toe overlap with the front wheel on the 29er was a whole 'nuther issue.

Anyway, if this thread was meant as any sort of sounding board for feedback from folks on what they would want to see in the bike, I would suggest you consider a more stable HA on the new rig (which looks nice, btw). I really like the 6.6. Going for a general/overall feel like that bike would be my suggestion. Not everyone buying a 6" travel bike wants to have their pants scared off by whippy handling on every high speed descent, you know?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    I wonder if a 5.5 69er is on the cards too given that the newly announced Spider 69er uses a 29er front end mated to a 26" wheeled rear triangle it shouldn't be a problem right?

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Not everyone buying a 6" travel bike wants to have their pants scared off by whippy handling on every high speed descent, you know?
    Not everyone wants a sluggish handling bike either, you know? Some of us like responsive rides...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    I wonder if a 5.5 69er is on the cards too given that the newly announced Spider 69er uses a 29er front end mated to a 26" wheeled rear triangle it shouldn't be a problem right?
    I thought the spyder thread was sort of a joke. Didn't they just slap a 29er wheel and fork onto the front of a regular spyder? You might be able to do the same thing with a 5.5, too.

A 72 HA seems kind of steep to me, but I've never ridden a 29er, so what the hell do I know?

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Not everyone wants a sluggish handling bike either, you know? Some of us like responsive rides...
    Funny how perceptions can differ! One rider's "stable" is another's "sluggish;" you say "responsive," and I say "twitchy." Add in rider ability and local terrain and there's no way a manufacturer can build a bike for everyone.

My personal concern with pushing the 5.5 so steep is that it'll be a repeat of my last experience with a 5.5: total overkill for almost all my riding, but way scary for truly hard trails. It was the weirdest phenomenon, like there was no middle ground where the bike belonged. Too much bike for XC, not enough for our local flavor of AM, and absolutely no good for DH.

p.

mtbr member
    Funny how perceptions can differ! One rider's "stable" is another's "sluggish;" you say "responsive," and I say "twitchy." Add in rider ability and local terrain and there's no way a manufacturer can build a bike for everyone.

My personal concern with pushing the 5.5 so steep is that it'll be a repeat of my last experience with a 5.5: total overkill for almost all my riding, but way scary for truly hard trails. It was the weirdest phenomenon, like there was no middle ground where the bike belonged. Too much bike for XC, not enough for our local flavor of AM, and absolutely no good for DH.

p.
    Weird. Normally you can play with tires, stems, handlebars, headsets and different travel forks to get the feeling you desire from nearly every frame made for your type of riding if you have a middle of the road geometry. And you hardly hear anybody complaining about the geometry of Intense frames, as they seem to be spot on for every frame.

Saucy Size
    Weird. Normally you can play with tires, stems, handlebars, headsets and different travel forks to get the feeling you desire from nearly every frame made for your type of riding if you have a middle of the road geometry. And you hardly hear anybody complaining about the geometry of Intense frames, as they seem to be spot on for every frame.
    Try reading the forum sometime, other than your own posts. This subject has been discussed in great depth here.

p.

mtbr member
    Try reading the forum sometime, other than your own posts. This subject has been discussed in great depth here.
    I know, but most guys found a solution to their problem or they admitted they bought the wrong bike. And there are people here that set up/ride their 5.5s pretty much like small 6.6s, this is why it is weird! The 5.5 is known to be on the XC side of the spectrum. So no reason to try to offend other users!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Agreed, Rock shox needs a 29er version of the pike.

Mar 2007
    I got to demo this prototype 5.5 29er at Sea Otter. The frame at medium would typically be small for me - lanky 6'1" but seemed alright - just a tad compact.

I haven't ridden other Intense bikes - this was my first. I have only ridden a couple Fisher Hardtail 29er's in a parking lot...

This bike seemed so natural with 29er wheels like they always belonged on it! I immediately felt at home, and out of 5 bikes I've demo'd and many many more that i've ridden in lots I think this is the one I have felt the most connection with. The handling/geometry felt "spot on" nailed. It's very responsive and agile yet it encouraged me to carry more speed going down hill. It was precise steering on the climbs.

This is a prototype and nothing final, so I'll omit my one concern for now... If I don't get too itchy to buy before the production version of this bike comes out, this is certainly on my short short list..!

Snapper
    I just brought a secondhand Spider 29er from the US and built it up with Manitou Minutes @ 120. I have a Ventana El Comendante which is great but jumped at the chance to soothe me suspension spoit arse. It blew me away. 26ers l owned include 6.6, Tracer, 575 and Motolite and the Spider wraps rings around the lot. After riding the Spider the others seem like a chore, even on the odd jump / stunt. I am 6.4 and 220lbs and l have never fit on any bike as well as the Spider. I have 120 forks on which is slightly longer than the 80 - 100 suggested which slackens the HA slightly and gives it greater steep stuff abilities. I am now looking to sell my other rigs and will not go back to 26 as the ride is that good. As for the 5.5 29er, we just need some longer travel forks (with 20mm through) and it would be the perfect trail weapon for long rides and rough condition. Dont be too concerned with the percieved overly steep HA, Intense have it dialled in perfectly. You will love this bike. I cant wait, even though here in Australia we pay big $$$$ for an import like this, still worth it................ well done Intense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here's a fork for you guys. And yes, that is a 29x2.2" Nevegal stuffed in that 40.

Unfortunatley I'm having trouble finding the actual thread, so if anyone knows, please, post it up.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=29

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Here's a fork for you guys. And yes, that is a 29x2.2" Nevegal stuffed in that 40.

Unfortunatley I'm having trouble finding the actual thread, so if anyone knows, please, post it up.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=29
    Thats insane. I bet it broke.

Sooooo, whats up with the 5.5 29'er? I rode the Spider 29'er with a DUC 32, nice ride, but way too xc-racerish for me. It is one of the best techy-climbing bikes I've ever rode, but every time the trail was flat or pointing down, I far prefer my Uzzi.

May 2008
    Im waiting a DH 29

mtbr member

Lyrik 2 step air

I have one on my RFX. If this fork were available for 29ers it would be perfect. I have a WB 135 on my Sultan and it's a great fork but the weight, adjustments, 20mm axle and stiffness of the Lyrik would blow anything else on the 29er market away.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

Members who have read this thread: 0