just out of hospital...half my face is gone!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

just out of hospital...half my face is gone!

Fell off my bike while trying to jump some drop offs in the streets at night and knocked myself out for half an hour untill someone found me with bad head/face wounds due to the fact I wasn't wearing my helmet!

Feeling lucky and more aware of the dangers of mountain biking.

Feb 2004
    Sucks @$$ that you had to learn the super hard way; but at least you will ride again and you'll know that body armor & ESPECIALLY a helmet are your friends when riding. Where did this happen, and exactly what happened (meaning broken cheek bone? broken nose? teeth knocked out? stiches?)

P.S.
    Like they say "If you're stupid enough to ride without a helmet, then there's nothing worth protecting."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

yeah I know

I always wear a helmet for every ride but not for this (little) ride which means I was missing a few brain cells that night which was stupid. It happened in Glasgow, Scotland and it took two hours for the stiches to be put in with my front two teeth and lips all knocked forwards but no broken bones...just soft tissue damage that's going to scar badly. Also highlights the importance of riding with someone when these things happen.

change is good
    Sep 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mezzanine
    I always wear a helmet for every ride but not for this (little) ride which means I was missing a few brain cells that night which was stupid. It happened in Glasgow, Scotland and it took two hours for the stiches to be put in with my front two teeth and lips all knocked forwards but no broken bones...just soft tissue damage that's going to scar badly. Also highlights the importance of riding with someone when these things happen.
    Did the medical team perform a Glasgow coma scale?

Old school BMXer
    I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Cheer up, it could be a lot worse.

A long time ago, when I was 16, I was at my local BMX practice track. I wasn't wearing a helmet, and I was riding by myself (I know, really stupid). However, knowing that I was by myself, I was just kind of cruising. I was practicing speed jumping this small set of doubles. I'll just say that my timing was way off and I went over the bars. The next thing I remember, I woke up in the hospital. An old couple walking by saw it happen, went home and got their car. They said I gave them full directions to get home - none of which I remembered.

I too tore off the left side of my face. My left eye wasn't even visible, as it was covered with swelling and road rash. My left ear had to get sewn back on (20 years later, there is still a bruised section on top). For six months, my ear stuck straight out. Fortunately, it went back in.

Even worse was when my doctor told me that my fifth vertebra in my neck was crushed, and it was too risky to go inside a do the repairs. He suggested that I let it heal naturally. He said that if I would have bent my head any further in the crash, that I could have easily been paralized. After hearing this, I wasn't too concerned that my left wrist was fractured.

This ended my BMX racing career, as I realized that I lost my edge, and I didn't ride as aggressively anymore. Major crashes can really change your life, but always be thankful for what you have left. Some 20 years later, I still enjoy bikes (and even still go to the BMX track now and then), and I'm back to enjoy riding mountain bikes somewhat aggressively. E-man will tell ya.

Cheer up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry to hear your mishap. Get well soon and get back to the saddle.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Just kidding about the coma scale. I was under the impression that it was developed in Glascow a few decades ago secondary to injuries from fighting between youth gangs. I was just riding along on my Blur (not paying attention) and fell on the end of my handlebar. I perforated my small bowel and had to have a portion resected, hence the creation of my username by my wife.

Jul 2004
    It sucks to learn things the hard way like that. I've personally only had 2 crashes where my helmet came into play, but had i not had it on, i would have had a concussion and half the trail buried in my face both times. Just for that fact the helmet just goes on no matter what when i'm on the trail. I still find it hard to believe the amount of people i see going into the local trails here in md without them though.

Aug 2004

Good job! ohh that really makes me cringe reading these posts

Luckily i have not yet had a serious head crash yet. Although a van did drive into me, i did have my helmet at the time, it was more clumsy then anything and didnt effect me. but otherwise i can be one of those idiots you refer to that you see without a helmet . Mind you when i go training or for a really specific ride i do wear one all the time. The point of this is, you lot may have just saved my life, cos your injuries sound heavy and iv seen mezzenine's injuries ouch!! no thanx id rather the helmet breaks