INTENSE Sniper Cross Brace- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

INTENSE Sniper Cross Brace

Hey Guys,

I wanted to post this in it's own thread so everyone could see it and it wasn't lost in the main Sniper thread.

The Sniper cross brace is complete and has shipped and is on it's way to our HQ in Temecula, CA. We will have them available this week.

If you are an owner of a 2019 Sniper and feel you may be experiencing excessive movement of your rear triangle, please allow us the opportunity to ensure your Sniper riding just as it was intended to.

Submit a claim using this link: https://intensecycles.com/pages/claimsubmission and our team will be sure to diagnose the issue and the parts needed to get your bike performing at 100%

For those looking to purchase the cross brace for added stiffness we will have them available for purchase on our website within the next couple weeks.

I will upload photos of the cross brace shortly.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Price?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Got a couple cross brace kits for the - ahem- 'inventor' of the cross brace?

https://forums.mtbr.com/intense/inte...l#post14026135

I know I created a lot of trouble for Intense in the short term, but the long term should see a lot less warranties and a more positive customer experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks Fletch

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi, can you let me know how to claim this from Australia? The page just re-directs to https://intensecycles.com.au/ and I can't find any info on there.

Thanks!

Edit: Yesterday I had to order a near mech hanger from the US parts sight, as it turns out I lost the nut that holds the rear axle/hanger in place on the frame, caused a lot of shifting issues during a race a few days ago. Would it be possible to send the brace with this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Empacitator View Post
    Hi, can you let me know how to claim this from Australia? The page just re-directs to https://intensecycles.com.au/ and I can't find any info on there.

Thanks!

Edit: Yesterday I had to order a near mech hanger from the US parts sight, as it turns out I lost the nut that holds the rear axle/hanger in place on the frame, caused a lot of shifting issues during a race a few days ago. Would it be possible to send the brace with this?
    Hi, for riders outside of the US and Canada please use this link to submit a claim: https://forms.na3.netsuite.com/app/s...ipt_redirect=T

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Got a couple cross brace kits for the - ahem- 'inventor' of the cross brace?

https://forums.mtbr.com/intense/inte...l#post14026135

I know I created a lot of trouble for Intense in the short term, but the long term should see a lot less warranties and a more positive customer experience.
    Hey Ole, Please submit a claim: https://forms.na3.netsuite.com/app/s...ipt_redirect=T and our rider support team will work on getting one to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    We will have the cross brace available for purchase to anyone who wants to add one to their Sniper. Pricing will be $35USD. Working to have it available on the website within the next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Seems like a very fair price. Any idea when the new Sniper may be released with a beefed up rear triangle for us 200lb guys?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Seems like a very fair price. Any idea when the new Sniper may be released with a beefed up rear triangle for us 200lb guys?
    An updated Sniper model is being produced and this will be available only in the Trail configuration. I do not have a launch date available yet but we are looking at the earliest, end of year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    To clarify on that last post. We will also have a 2020 Sniper XC coming out, it will continue with the same frame as current with new paint and spec updates. The Sniper in trail configuration will have some frame modifications for more aggressive riders and terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    An updated Sniper model is being produced and this will be available only in the Trail configuration. I do not have a launch date available yet but we are looking at the earliest, end of year.
    Subscribed for when Fletch updates this thread with release date.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    To clarify on that last post. We will also have a 2020 Sniper XC coming out, it will continue with the same frame as current with new paint and spec updates. The Sniper in trail configuration will have some frame modifications for more aggressive riders and terrain.
    So maybe 120 up front 34? High-Mod option not just NM? Curious how much heavier than XC version. Looking for a race whip sub 24 with pedals...

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    So maybe 120 up front 34? High-Mod option not just NM? Curious how much heavier than XC version. Looking for a race whip sub 24 with pedals...
    Doesn't the current TR have both those?
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes it does. It sounds like the updated one coming will be fortified a bit and some new color options. Being just over 200 lbs I don't mind taking a weight penalty (maybe a 1.5 lbs) over the XC version if it is stronger and still really light. My Primer is a super light build and an outstanding trail bike but I'm looking for another XC race bike and really like the Sniper and Intense in general. So yeah, I'm kinda holding out for new version.

Sneaker man
    Yeah, I'll probably look at the brace, not having any issues not, but being un-light, I can see me needing one in the future.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks for the update fletch, thats awesome 👍

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Having gone through ridiculous amounts of prep work and embarrassment of a colonoscopy at age 50, I can tell you that it would be a further kick in the crotch to have to then shell out money for said 'camera-work'...but lucky for me, current health-care mandates are such that its considered 'preventative maintenance' and covered by my insurance.
    Why am I publicly outing myself of rump-snaking awkwardness? To hopefully draw a correlation between this brace and further damage to a bike.
    Now, at 50+ years I am almost certainly not shredding as hard as most (all?) of you here, and admittedly: I don't currently have any unnecessary flex in my rear end (talking about the bike here), but I'll probably opt for this brace as my 'preventative maintenance'. What really irks me though, is that I have to shell out additional cash on top of the bike to fix a problem that the manufacturers are already aware of.
    Much in the same way a 'factory recall' notice on an automobile is always fixed at the expense of the automotive manufacturer, I think its a pretty shady deal to ask people to buy their own parts that will prevent future issues and ostensibly save Intense money in the long run to fix parts that may break from these issues.

I like the bike...hell, I like(d) Intense as a company, but this will honestly leave such a sour taste in my mouth that once I am 'done' with this bike, I wont look to Intense for the next one (in the same ways that I wont look to SC, Yeti or some of the other manufacturers that make killer rides but have sh*tty customer service). Don't get me wrong: I understand that Intense will "make it right" if you have issues with the bike (in that link Fletch gave)...but I am not going to applaud a company that says: "if you have problems, we'll fix them" - instead of saying: "we know we have problems, and we'll fix them for you at our expense"

Is $35 going to break me?...it depends on how many burritos I have had this week, but my point is that with a known issue or a known potential for issues, a company like Intense should step up and give this brace away.

RY

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The way I read the initial post, if you are concerned about the $35, all you would need to do is fill out the claim form and you would be taken care of: https://intensecycles.com/pages/claimsubmission

From other posts I've read, this isn't impacting everyone and some might not want the added stiffness this part will create.

Who knows, perhaps they have to have the claim submitted and documented for accounting purposes or whatnot. If my understanding is right, you wouldn't be out any burritos if you follow that process. And, from what I see, all bike manufacturers have issues from time to time and, fortunately, this appears to be something that is addressed by a simple brace.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RCederholm View Post
    The way I read the initial post, if you are concerned about the $35, all you would need to do is fill out the claim form and you would be taken care of: https://intensecycles.com/pages/claimsubmission

From other posts I've read, this isn't impacting everyone and some might not want the added stiffness this part will create.

Who knows, perhaps they have to have the claim submitted and documented for accounting purposes or whatnot. If my understanding is right, you wouldn't be out any burritos if you follow that process. And, from what I see, all bike manufacturers have issues from time to time and, fortunately, this appears to be something that is addressed by a simple brace.
    That is the way I read it to, but that is not the way it worked out. I entered a claim and they are sending me a new upper link as well as some spacers for the lower link. I was told that the excessive flex was caused by the lower link so they were sending me some spacers, but I would still need to pay the $35 for the cross brace. I gotta say, I am a little surprised with the way this played out. This is my first Intense, and I do really like the bike. I originally wanted the green expert build but it was out of stock forever. Finally couldnt wait any longer so I decided to splurge on the pro build just as the ran out of the silver build so I ended up with the red digi camo. Now I am $1,000 deeper than I was initially expecting in a color that was my third choice and on top of that am being asked for an additional $35 for a brace that will allow the bike to ride better? I was super excited to see the new primer and was hoping to upgrade in a year or so, but thinking Pivot or Evil will be the next whip...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanyRocket View Post
    That is the way I read it to, but that is not the way it worked out. I entered a claim and they are sending me a new upper link as well as some spacers for the lower link. I was told that the excessive flex was caused by the lower link so they were sending me some spacers, but I would still need to pay the $35 for the cross brace. I gotta say, I am a little surprised with the way this played out. This is my first Intense, and I do really like the bike. I originally wanted the green expert build but it was out of stock forever. Finally couldnt wait any longer so I decided to splurge on the pro build just as the ran out of the silver build so I ended up with the red digi camo. Now I am $1,000 deeper than I was initially expecting in a color that was my third choice and on top of that am being asked for an additional $35 for a brace that will allow the bike to ride better? I was super excited to see the new primer and was hoping to upgrade in a year or so, but thinking Pivot or Evil will be the next whip...
    There are some frames that had an undersized lower pivot tube. This would create lateral play in the lower pivot which would be exacerbated on the upper pivot. If your frame has excessive flex this is more than likely what is causing it and with the warranty claim it will be fixed and addressed with the simple spacers.

The cross brace is more of an upgrade to help stiffen lateral flex for more aggressive riders. I would strongly recommend adding the lower link spacers and installing the new toplink from your warranty and then riding to see the difference. If at that point you feel the rear has excessive flex contact warranty and they can work with you on a cross brace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hi everyone

I have just seen that top link bearing kit is now available at the European Intense website.

The price for this spare part is 50$, so more expensive than cross brace

I guess the new cross brace is sort of spare top link different from stock (not something to add on current top link). Isn't it?

I was thinking about the price difference 50$ (top link) vs 35$ (cross brace), and that's why I thought that maybe cross brace could mean not a new redesign top link but some sort of small part to upgrade current stock link...

I'm not clear on this...

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There are some frames that had an undersized lower pivot tube. This would create lateral play in the lower pivot which would be exacerbated on the upper pivot. If your frame has excessive flex this is more than likely what is causing it and with the warranty claim it will be fixed and addressed with the simple spacers.

The cross brace is more of an upgrade to help stiffen lateral flex for more aggressive riders. I would strongly recommend adding the lower link spacers and installing the new toplink from your warranty and then riding to see the difference. If at that point you feel the rear has excessive flex contact warranty and they can work with you on a cross brace.
    I already paid for the cross brace and had them ship it with the warranty items so I wouldnt have to pay for shipping as well. Other than the added weight, is there any reason not to put everything on at the same time?

So the cross brace is still going to be offered as an "upgrade" item for 2020 models?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    For those in the US and Canada you can find the cross brace here: https://intensecycles.com/collection...er-cross-brace

We are working to get the part published to our small parts website for all global customers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanyRocket View Post
    I already paid for the cross brace and had them ship it with the warranty items so I wouldnt have to pay for shipping as well. Other than the added weight, is there any reason not to put everything on at the same time?

So the cross brace is still going to be offered as an "upgrade" item for 2020 models?
    You can put everything on at the same time. My comment was to add the spacer and new top link first and ride or test it like that to see the difference as it sounds like you have an undersized pivot tube. I've seen a different bike with a loose lower pivot tube before and the movement was so noticeable.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fletch,

Is there a way to know if your bike is one with an undersized pivot tube? Is there a serial number to crosscheck?

Also if I put the cross brace (which I just ordered) on will that prevent any of the bearing issues or will those still show up if I don't have the properly spaced link?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Fletch,

Is there a way to know if your bike is one with an undersized pivot tube? Is there a serial number to crosscheck?

Also if I put the cross brace (which I just ordered) on will that prevent any of the bearing issues or will those still show up if I don't have the properly spaced link?

Thanks
    Using a set of calipers, measure the width of the forward most pivot hole of the lower link that runs through the front triangle seat tube (without link or any spacers on frame), should be close to 42mm. The top link will help secure the top link bearings from excessive flex but if the lower link tube is not addressed with the updated spacers it could resurface. We are only seeing less than 2% of earlier frames with the undersized pivot tube, if you feel excessive flex please contact our rider support team so they can properly evaluate and get you taken care of.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    @creativefletch, I put my cross brace on this AM. Torqued the black nut to 140 in/lbs, what is the proper torque for the silver star bolt that goes in the center? Or just snug it down?
    Last edited by jtstj; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:38 PM. Reason: Forgot something

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Talk about adding insult to injury...I didn't want the brace, and I didn't want to have to pay for the brace, but bought the brace then broke the brace (sort of).
    INTENSE Sniper Cross Brace-20190928_173801.jpg

Admittedly, I had installed everything, only to realize that one of the bushings had slipped out and was on the floor...took the silver bolt back out, along with the black shoulder bolt, and reassembled it all, with the bushing in place. Needless to say: I was more than a little pissed at myself, but I can assure you that I had not torqued that bolt very high...I was in the process of snuging it up, so I could put the torque wrench to it, when it popped off.
    Lets hope my screw-extracting skills are better than my bike maintenance skills

RY

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jtstj View Post
    @creativefletch, I put my cross brace on this AM. Torqued the black nut to 140 in/lbs, what is the proper torque for the silver star bolt that goes in the center? Or just snug it down?
    I'd say not to go with the 16 nM that the black shoulder bolt gets...I'd probably just snug it down, mate. At least thats what customer service clued me in on. The blue loc-tight should keep it from going anywhere.
    good luck

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomsabers View Post
    I'd say not to go with the 16 nM that the black shoulder bolt gets...I'd probably just snug it down, mate. At least thats what customer service clued me in on. The blue loc-tight should keep it from going anywhere.
    good luck
    Thanks, yeah, I just snugged it down for the moment and assumed the blue loctite would hold it in place. Seeing your pic in post #31 makes me glad I did. I've popped the heads off of bottle carrier bolts before. It can be a pain. Hope the extraction is successful. And really hoping this brace is a cure all for the few issues. Still love this bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jtstj View Post
    4nm for the silver bolt.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    4nm for the silver bolt.
    Thanks, you rock! Time for me to hit the trails and roll.

mtbr member
    Wow, sorry to see what happened to you. It has to be very frustrating. This whole torquing thing always worries me a bit. Anyone know if the brace uses just 2 spacers or 4 (both sides of the link or just the inside of the link?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    INTENSE Sniper Cross Brace-c910f15a-0df6-455a-af16-28c485e9a59d.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by macdaddyg2006 View Post
    Wow, sorry to see what happened to you. It has to be very frustrating. This whole torquing thing always worries me a bit. Anyone know if the brace uses just 2 spacers or 4 (both sides of the link or just the inside of the link?

Thanks.
    This is everything that comes with the brace.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Using a set of calipers, measure the width of the forward most pivot hole of the lower link that runs through the front triangle seat tube (without link or any spacers on frame), should be close to 42mm. The top link will help secure the top link bearings from excessive flex but if the lower link tube is not addressed with the updated spacers it could resurface. We are only seeing less than 2% of earlier frames with the undersized pivot tube, if you feel excessive flex please contact our rider support team so they can properly evaluate and get you taken care of.
    Hi Fetch i measured mine and its 41.58mm, what are the undersized measurements usually?

mtbr member
    Could you develop a new forged composite upper link with more material, or a bridge, between the seat stay pivots at the link? Or alternatively, join the stays with a carbon arch behind the seat tube (if there is clearance)? The brace seems like another point that could develop play.

mtbr member
    It's probably straightforward, but are there any installation instructions?
    What parts are removed and replaced? What remains? Bolts, spacers?
    Do the other link pivot points need to be loosened before I can squeeze in the brace?

Thanks.
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Remove the black shoulder bolts that hold the seat stays to the link. Move the seat stays off the link and out of the way. Install brace, the link will flex enough to allow it to pop into place. Move the stays back into place aligned with the link. Install new black shoulder bolts to attach the stays to the link and torque to 16 nm. Install silver bolts through shoulder bolts to fix the brace into place and torque to 4 nm.
    Only thing you should have left over are the two original black shoulder bolts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    It's probably straightforward, but are there any installation instructions?
    What parts are removed and replaced? What remains? Bolts, spacers?
    Do the other link pivot points need to be loosened before I can squeeze in the brace?

Thanks.
    We've just updated the website with the installation instructions on the cross brace product page. For a quick link to the pdf: Cross Brace Installation Manual