Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intense Sniper

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Intense Sniper

You guys seeing the teaser pics on Instagram?

Looks like a more XC focused bike is on the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by S3tigoHide View Post
    You guys seeing the teaser pics on Instagram?

Looks like a more XC focused bike is on the way.
    Intense Sniper-sniper-close3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That looks slick! Can't wait to see it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Intense Sniper-sniper-sneak.jpg

mtbr member
    Found this on Flow MTB

https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/intense-sniper-test/

Numbers look pretty good. Fairly slack for an XC machine but there's nothing wrong with that

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Very nice. Hopefully a frame-only option comes in a different color.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Very nice. Hopefully a frame-only option comes in a different color.
    Wait about 30 mins and you'll see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Wait about 30 mins and you'll see.
    I have my running shoes on waiting for the Intense bandwagon to come by. My two buds snagged a Primer frame on closeout. None of us are VPP fans, but the Primer really impressed them. Obviously a slightly different design. I'm guessing the Sniper will be a $2999 frame which means I'll wait for a Black Friday/30% holiday sale.

On a somewhat related note, the likes of Kona Hei Hei have a 68 head angle with a 120 fork. I believe many US endurance/marathon riders who take a Top Fuel and slap a 120 without drastically jacking up the geometry prefer a 120 fork even if means taking a near 1 pound hit over an Stepcast. I have a F34 and Stepcast, and the handling is near night and day better for the long races and rides. A 120mm fork on the Sniper completely does away with the awesome reach/slack/xc geometry based on 100 fork. Designing a geometry/flip chip to allow a 120 fork and keep the aggressive trail-like geometry would be ideal. Run either fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Woah! Trail build at 120/120! Very intrigued.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    5mm longer shock stroke gets 20mm more travel yet a 1 degree slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This threw me into indecision. Was looking for a V2 Ripley but this looks really nice.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    May this threw me into indecision. Was looking for a V2 Ripley but this looks really nice.
    Frame available in July at the earliest. Think complete bikes ready end of March.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can't remember an Intense build near as light, 22 lb. XC.

Pro, Trail, Med at 25 lb.

Gets the attention of weight weenies.

chasing simplicity
    direct to consumer pricing makes a diff! 2499 frameset for the sl, 1999 for the nm...two different paint jobs...nice! https://intensecycles.com/collection...=6961490624535
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    direct to consumer pricing makes a diff! 2499 frameset for the sl, 1999 for the nm...two different paint jobs...nice! https://intensecycles.com/collection...=6961490624535
    They will have 4 diff paint jobs when available in July.

chasing simplicity
    ^Awesome.^
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well technically 2 paint jobs each frame. If you want an SL frame you can't get one of the NM paint jobs.

The only thing making me hesitate is the BB. BB 92 doesn't allow for 30mm spindle cranks with durable bearings.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well technically 2 paint jobs each frame. If you want an SL frame you can't get one of the NM paint jobs.

The only thing making me hesitate is the BB. BB 92 doesn't allow for 30mm spindle cranks with durable bearings.
    Please enlighten me.

30mm cranks leave less room for bearings than the smaller spindles. My experience is that the additional space will give room for larger and more durable bearings. Possibly not with all manufacturers, but maybe you need to shop around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    Please enlighten me.

30mm cranks leave less room for bearings than the smaller spindles. My experience is that the additional space will give room for larger and more durable bearings. Possibly not with all manufacturers, but maybe you need to shop around.
    Did you read what you wrote? How does a spindle that leaves less space for a bearing also have additional space for larger more durable bearings?

PF30 BB is 46MM in diameter leaving plenty of space for a proper bearing.

This frame is BB92 is 41mm and makes for a small bearing with horrible seals when using a 30mm spindle crank- supposedly it's one of the reason Sram developed DUB.

I love the bike, just wish they didn't push you into using 24mm spindle cranks or have to go new with Sram DUB cranks and BB.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    When you let the BB size determine which bike you buy, the problem is not with the frame design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    When you let the BB size determine which bike you buy, the problem is not with the frame design.
    You may enjoy replacing BBs 3 or 4 times a year, I don't.

I don't think you have a complete grasp on the issue , the BB size determines which cranks you can use. Personally have some pretty costly Hollowgram SiSL2 cranks that I'd like to use. BB92 makes that not reasonably possible.

Not bashing Intense, just an interesting choice.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You may enjoy replacing BBs 3 or 4 times a year, I don't.

I don't think you have a complete grasp on the issue , the BB size determines which cranks you can use. Personally have some pretty costly Hollowgram SiSL2 cranks that I'd like to use. BB92 makes that not reasonably possible.

Not bashing Intense, just an interesting choice.
    Not to get off topic, but I've had the same $25 sram bb in a Turner Czar since 2014 and it's still quiet (2nd owner in town still crushing big rides). This frame has over 400 hours each year. The Chiner HT and devinci have bb92. All quiet. Is it an installation issue or not enough teflon paste or ????

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not to get off topic, but I've had the same $25 sram bb in a Turner Czar since 2014 and it's still quiet (2nd owner in town still crushing big rides). This frame has over 400 hours each year. The Chiner HT and devinci have bb92. All quiet. Is it an installation issue or not enough teflon paste or ????
    Well the Czar has a PF30 which as I mentioned is different case. From what I can research the problem is specifically a BB92 and 30mm spindle. BB92 and 24mm spindle isn't an issue. So not knowing what cranks you have in your HT and Devinci, can't really comment.

I'm not speaking to the noise issue, I'm talking about bearing durability because the combination requires much smaller bearing than normal.

As I said this isn't a bash just commenting on what I find doing research. I've already called Intense twice today. I really want the frame, but it requires me to sell my SiSl2 cranks and go with different ones.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well the Czar has a PF30 which as I mentioned is different case. From what I can research the problem is specifically a BB92 and 30mm spindle. BB92 and 24mm spindle isn't an issue. So not knowing what cranks you have in your HT and Devinci, can't really comment.

I'm not speaking to the noise issue, I'm talking about bearing durability because the combination requires much smaller bearing than normal.

As I said this isn't a bash just commenting on what I find doing research. I've already called Intense twice today. I really want the frame, but it requires me to sell my SiSl2 cranks and go with different ones.
    Ah, that makes sense. My devinci has pf92 and uses Praxis Lyft carbon cranks which people seem to think SRAM copied with their DUB. I haven't looked into it.

mtbr member
    Very cool. I've been waiting for someone to release a bike like this for a while.
    BTW, I have had good luck with the bearings in my BB92 Carbine 29 and 30mm spindle Next SL cranks. Ran it for 2 years with the same bearings until the carbon crank arm delaminated from the alu. spindle (like they always do). Replaced them with XO1 cranks which has a 24mm spindle. No creaking from that BB either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 426h View Post
    Very cool. I've been waiting for someone to release a bike like this for a while.
    BTW, I have had good luck with the bearings in my BB92 Carbine 29 and 30mm spindle Next SL cranks. Ran it for 2 years with the same bearings until the carbon crank arm delaminated from the alu. spindle (like they always do). Replaced them with XO1 cranks which has a 24mm spindle. No creaking from that BB either.
    Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick, but every thread about bottom brackets, the Raceface ones have a ton of complaints and it's the only one I can find that allows you to run BB92 and 30mm spindle. I'm probably just going to take the chance.

As much as I hate PF BBs, the trail version is the bike I've been waiting on. Even having an internal debate on if I could get away with the XC version, but at around 200lbs and liking air I don't think the stepcast is a good idea for me.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Do u think this will be as capable as the m3 on descents ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    So, is it the same frame for the 120mm and 100mm versions? Just a longer shock for the 120mm?

If so, this might be my next bike. Would be great to be able to get a 120/120mm and 100/100mm bike with air shaft and shock swap.

Glad they went with PF30. Bigger bearings are a good thing; no interest in jamming a 30mm spindle into a PF92 shell and the tiny bearings used to accommodate that.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    So, is it the same frame for the 120mm and 100mm versions? Just a longer shock for the 120mm?

If so, this might be my next bike. Would be great to be able to get a 120/120mm and 100/100mm bike with air shaft and shock swap.

Glad they went with PF30. Bigger bearings are a good thing; no interest in jamming a 30mm spindle into a PF92 shell and the tiny bearings used to accommodate that.
    Yes. Same frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    .... at around 200lbs and liking air I don't think the stepcast is a good idea for me.
    It'd be a very, very bad idea. I'm 160 pounds and don't like air, and my Stepcast begs and pleads not to do crazy stuff.

mtbr member
    Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick, but every thread about bottom brackets, the Raceface ones have a ton of complaints and it's the only one I can find that allows you to run BB92 and 30mm spindle. I'm probably just going to take the chance.

As much as I hate PF BBs, the trail version is the bike I've been waiting on. Even having an internal debate on if I could get away with the XC version, but at around 200lbs and liking air I don't think the stepcast is a good idea for me.
    Yes, I know lots of people have problems with that combo. Just want to say, there exists some people without issues also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

You can also run it as a 110mm rear travel. That is the neat thing about metric shocks.

160x140 100mm rear travel
    160x42.5 110mm rear travel
    160x45 120mm rear travel.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member

Intense Sniper

Oops- edited because of oversight about the BB. 🤷🏻*♂️

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!
    Last edited by Noclutch; 03-08-2018 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I know it's impossible to know, but what is MTBR for other than reckless speculation?

What do you guys expect for frame durability? My understanding was that frames in this geometry/travel class keep getting heavier to maintain durability as they get ridden harder. This seems awfully light compared to anything else with a ~67 degree HTA. Kinda crazy that I'm considering a Trail Sniper vs a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol. Super similar in so many ways, but so different. You can't tell me that I wouldn't ride the Sniper as hard as I would the TP. Might have to try to ride both this spring, would be an interesting comparison that should help me figure out what feels best to me on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Screw it I just placed my order Trail SL frame in the Gray/Red
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Oops- edited because of oversight about the BB. 🤷🏻*♂️

What did you edit? I came back to look for that thread you linked to order those bearings.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Screw it I just placed my order Trail SL frame in the Gray/Red
    You purchased complete bike because there is no Trail SL frame option, right?

mtbr member

Intense Sniper

I’m confused and/ or ignorant.
    Does the frame have a PF92 or a more conventional PF30 in a 92mm wide shell?

If PF92 ( poor nomenclature as I understand), which means 41mm shell ID, then yes there will be much grumbling about BB choices/lack there of.

If it is truly a PF30 albeit in a 92mm wide shell but with a 46 ID, then there will be many good BB options.

And regarding the websites stating it’s a
    “Sram DUB Pressfit 30 mm BB92”....I thought DUB meant 28.9mm. 🤯

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You purchased complete bike because there is no Trail SL frame option, right?
    No placed a frame order. They are talking names and basically making a list and they'll contact you when the frames arrive.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I’m confused and/ or ignorant.
    Does the frame have a PF92 or a more conventional PF30 in a 92mm wide shell?

If PF92 ( poor nomenclature as I understand), which means 41mm shell ID, then yes there will be much grumbling about BB choices/lack there of.

If it is truly a PF30 albeit in a 92mm wide shell but with a 46 ID, then there will be many good BB options.

And regarding the websites stating it’s a
    “Sram DUB Pressfit 30 mm BB92”....I thought DUB meant 28.9mm. 🤯

Maybe I misunderstood on the phone. I was told order a BB92 BB.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcro View Post
    I know it's impossible to know, but what is MTBR for other than reckless speculation?

What do you guys expect for frame durability?.
    Speculation? Na. 🤣

Regarding durability, this sentence from the Pinkbike review caught my eye....
    ”At 21 pounds and some change (10kg), the top-drawer Sniper Factory XC can shamelessly walk the runway with the likes of Scott's Spark - the racebike that sets the bar for dual-suspension on the Pro Tour. (Spoiler alert: they share the same factory.)....!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    It'd be a very, very bad idea. I'm 160 pounds and don't like air, and my Stepcast begs and pleads not to do crazy stuff.
    I'm with Westin on this one. I'm 160lbs and I did three rides on the 100mm stepcast 32 and that fork got noodly real quick. I'm an aggressive rider, not the best at floating chunky sections, and I like to jump. I rode it like a trail bike and it did well but was flexy. Knowing what I really wanted was a super light trail bike that I could smash climbs on and still have a blast on my local downhills I ended up building my Sniper up as a 120mm version.

I'm running the Fox Factory 34 fork and it's solid. I run the same fork on my Primer and love it. The stepcast fork was great when I rode the bike on XC style rides, but as soon as I started pushing it harder in turns and through chunky sections I noticed it. This bike is scary in how comfortable you feel going downhill.

I've been riding the 120mm Green/Black NM sniper in a custom build for about 3 months now. I went a little more XC inspired on the build with wheels/tires/bar even though I wanted the 120mm travel.

Here's how I've built it:
    Sniper NM Frame
    Fox Factory 34 120mm Fork
    Fox Factory 120mm shock
    Enve Carbon 55mm mountain stem
    Intense 760mm Flat Carbon Bar
    Rockshox Reverb 125mm dropper
    XX1 Eagle Cranks 175mm with 34T chainring
    XX1 Eagle Derailleur & Shifter
    Stans Crest S1 Wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2" rear
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front
    Shimano XT brakes with 160mm Centerlock rotors front and rear
    Fabric Scoop Radius Saddle with Ti rails
    HT Components T1 Pedals
    (Note I updated a couple things like pedals, saddle, and tires since attached pic)

I originally ran Maxxis Ikon tires and while they were great fast rolling tires, they did not grip in dusty Socal terrain. The Ardent Race tires are great, fast rolling, light weight, and a good bite with the outer knobs.

Intense Sniper-img_7858.jpgIntense Sniper-img_7856.jpgIntense Sniper-img_7855.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm with Westin on this one. I'm 160lbs and I did three rides on the 10mm stepcast 32 and that fork got noodly real quick. I'm an aggressive rider, not the best at floating chunky sections, and I like to jump. I rode it like a trail bike and it did well but was flexy. Knowing what I really wanted was a super light trail bike that I could smash climbs on and still have a blast on my local downhills I ended up building my Sniper up as a 120mm version.

I'm running the Fox Factory 34 fork and it's solid. I run the same fork on my Primer and love it. The stepcast fork was great when I rode the bike on XC style rides, but as soon as I started pushing it harder in turns and through chunky sections I noticed it. This bike is scary in how comfortable you feel going downhill.

I've been riding the 120mm Green/Black NM sniper in a custom build for about 3 months now. I went a little more XC inspired on the build with wheels/tires/bar even though I wanted the 120mm travel.

Here's how I've built it:
    Sniper NM Frame
    Fox Factory 34 120mm Fork
    Fox Factory 120mm shock
    Enve Carbon 55mm mountain stem
    Intense 760mm Flat Carbon Bar
    Rockshox Reverb 125mm dropper
    XX1 Eagle Cranks 175mm with 34T chainring
    XX1 Eagle Derailleur & Shifter
    Stans Crest S1 Wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2" rear
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front
    Shimano XT brakes with 160mm Centerlock rotors front and rear
    Fabric Scoop Radius Saddle with Ti rails
    HT Components T1 Pedals
    (Note I updated a couple things like pedals, saddle, and tires since attached pic)

I originally ran Maxxis Ikon tires and while they were great fast rolling tires, they did not grip in dusty Socal terrain. The Ardent Race tires are great, fast rolling, light weight, and a good bite with the outer knobs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7858.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	1186527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7856.jpg 
Views:	887 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	1186528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7855.jpg 
Views:	1485 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	1186529
    Nice, do you all have any more real pictures of the different colorways you could share?
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice. Didn't know there was a trail SL frame only option.

mtbr member
    Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick, but every thread about bottom brackets, the Raceface ones have a ton of complaints and it's the only one I can find that allows you to run BB92 and 30mm spindle.
    Hope offers a BB92 for 30 mm axles as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've seen some talk about the Sniper Vs. Primer.

The Primer is my all time favorite bike for 80% of the riding I do. It is my go to bike and it is the bike that I have the most fun on, hands down. When you look at travel alone the Primer is only 10-20mm travel more than the Sniper Trail.

So, I have a 120mm Sniper and a 140/130mm Primer. Seems redundant, but for me they both hold a place in my quiver.

The Primer is deceiving. It rides like a 150-160mm enduro bike but is nimble and fast in turns. The steep seat tube angle gives you the ability to really drive power on both punchy and sustained climbs.

The Sniper is my training bike. I tried the road bike thing, It's ok for group rides but I just couldn't get into it. The Sniper allows me to go on long 30-50mile rides and also go out on shorter rides and feel like superman on the climbs. I've done side by side rides on my Sniper and Primer and on the downs I can get close to Primer times but I feel more on the edge with the Sniper (I think if I put burlier tires and a wider wheel on my Sniper it would help with this), but when it comes to the climbs the Sniper wants to go fast, put power to the crank and you're instantly rewarded.

If you are torn between these two bikes you really need to ride each. I ride both regularly and it really comes down to my mood and fitness to fun goals for the ride.

mtbr member
    Creativefletch must have Intense connections!
    Us commoners have to wait till July for a frameset

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

I am fairly certain he works for Intense. I see his comparison/assessment provided above as very insightful and valuable to potential buyers. I will say his involvement on this forum helped me pull the trigger on the Primer Bandit a few weeks back (for which I am thankful).

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Wonder how the Sniper XC would ride with a 120mm fork?

mtbr member
    Good insight on Sniper vs Primer.
    120 Sniper and 130 Bandit Primer are pretty close.
    Not sure of the color scheme on the new bike. The Bandit Primer killed it for color scheme IMHO.

Impressive weight on the XC sniper at 22 pounds.
    My Trek Top Fuel 100XC bike with carbon hoops, 125 dropper and XX1 Eagle is about 24.5 pounds. Do love having a push button lockout for F/R on a 100m travel bike, like on the Trek.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

I work for Intense, so take my posts with a slice of favorability. I also love riding mountain bikes, so I'm pretty transparent when it comes to things I like and don't like (like not having a water bottle mount on a Tracer).

For Frame only yes, July is when those will be arriving and we're able to ship. We've just began offering the frame only option again with the Rider Direct program so we're working to get this option more inline with complete build launches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RCederholm View Post
    I am fairly certain he works for Intense. I see his comparison/assessment provided above as very insightful and valuable to potential buyers. I will say his involvement on this forum helped me pull the trigger on the Primer Bandit a few weeks back (for which I am thankful).
    Glad I could help. You know that the Primer bandit is my favorite. As much as I want to keep it in the garage hung on the wall like art, it's too much fun of a bike not to rip!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    The Sniper XC with a 120mm fork is essentially the Sniper Trail version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    I wouldn't see the point in all honesty. The frames are exactly the same. The HA changes because of the fork travel change and the rear because of the shock.

Unless I missed something
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I work for Intense, so take my posts with a slice of favorability. I also love riding mountain bikes, so I'm pretty transparent when it comes to things I like and don't like (like not having a water bottle mount on a Tracer).

For Frame only yes, July is when those will be arriving and we're able to ship. We've just began offering the frame only option again with the Rider Direct program so we're working to get this option more inline with complete build launches.
    You would've sold a boatload of frames in the past 24 hours based on impulse, hype, weight weenie-ism and geometry chart. When the site said available March 26th, I put a large in the shopping cart and got a shipping quote. But it was not to be, sigh.

I wonder how many have contacted Intense asking for a frame only RIGHT THE F NOW even after reading the July availability. It's gonna be like a Tesla Model 3. Get on the list and be patient.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Technical director and IFR Master Wrench Chappy Fiene's custom built Sniper in the Grey/Red SL color way.

Intense Sniper-28782927_10209050234293378_8390244532863631360_o.jpgIntense Sniper-28660457_10209050233613361_3190686914495643648_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Technical director and IFR Master Wrench Chappy Fiene's custom built Sniper in the Grey/Red SL color way.

Name:	28782927_10209050234293378_8390244532863631360_o.jpg 
Views:	1955 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	1186568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28660457_10209050233613361_3190686914495643648_o.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1186569
    Thanks a lot that helps, that's the colorway I ordered.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Great to have you here and interactive Creativefletch!

So in regards to direct to consumer ordering, is there any latitude on build specs, or is it only straight by the build spec sheet?

Also, other than shock length, colors, ti hardware (presumably linkage bolts, axle?) and mg lower link material (vs al?), what is the difference between the SL and NM framesets?

Thanks again for your participation. And yea, if forum "heat" is any indicator, Intense has a slam dunk on their hands here!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You would've sold a boatload of frames in the past 24 hours based on impulse, hype, weight weenie-ism and geometry chart. When the site said available March 26th, I put a large in the shopping cart and got a shipping quote. But it was not to be, sigh.

I wonder how many have contacted Intense asking for a frame only RIGHT THE F NOW even after reading the July availability. It's gonna be like a Tesla Model 3. Get on the list and be patient.
    Didn't ask for now, just wanted to be in the first batch, so I'm happy.

that said, learned my lesson before, won't sell old one until I have this one.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    I'm pretty interested in this thing. I've been using my Primer for the last 12 months as a "do-all" bike at 130mm-140mm. I've done a couple of longer XC races with the rear end set to 115mm and it's a quick and efficient ride, with plenty of confidence with the slacker front end.

When I'm out on the trails it can get me into trouble with the speed it generates into chunky sections and isn't as composed as say my old Canfield Riot. As a one bike does all though, it's about perfect for me.

But I'm planning on racing more this year and the Sniper looks like it'll be an absolute weapon. But then I'd want another bigger bike for the more aggressive stuff and bike parks. Something 140 to 160mm rear would be some good separation. I think I'll stick with the Primer this year and keep changing up the spec for racing or trail riding.

Good to see Intense back in the XC game!

mtbr member

Name:	28782927_10209050234293378_8390244532863631360_o.jpg 
Views:	1955 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	1186568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28660457_10209050233613361_3190686914495643648_o.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1186569
    Hansel...so hot right now...Hansel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any comparisons between the Spider and the Sniper Trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

So in regards to direct to consumer ordering, is there any latitude on build specs, or is it only straight by the build spec sheet?

Also, other than shock length, colors, ti hardware (presumably linkage bolts, axle?) and mg lower link material (vs al?), what is the difference between the SL and NM framesets?

Thanks again for your participation. And yea, if forum "heat" is any indicator, Intense has a slam dunk on their hands here!
    I also think it's different carbon

Their SL frames say High Modulus carbon on other models as well and the NM frame just says UD carbon
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For the hell of it I ran the numbers on the parts I'd be transfering over plus and few I'd have to buy and come up with roughly a 22.8 lb Trail build.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Is this thing stiff enough for jumps and plowing through rock gardens? Seems a bit light. Having said that this looks like a great bike.

mtbr member
    Super keen on this bike (Trail version in particular).

Had been looking at a Scott Spark to supplement my 2016 Tracer, but this has shot to the top of my list.

Funny that this XC bike has as slack a HTA as my 2 year old enduro bike!

mtbr member
    Anyone know what seatpost diameter the Sniper takes? 31.6 or 30.9?
    TIA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The standover is pretty high, BB pretty low, seat tube length pretty long. Anyone think these specs would be an issue?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    The standover is pretty high, BB pretty low, seat tube length pretty long. Anyone think these specs would be an issue?

Stand over doesn't matter, the bike needs to fit riding. Seriously why do people still even look at stand over. I have a spreadsheet of all the bikes I was considering and there's a measurement that's not on it- stand over. I couldn't tell you the stand over on any of the bikes I've owned the last 5 years. Some hit the boys and some had plenty of clearance- never matters.

For me I'm right in between sizes so I went Medium which makes the numbers similar to many other larges I was looking at.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Anyone know what seatpost diameter the Sniper takes? 31.6 or 30.9?
    TIA.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    The stand over caught my eye for sure. Don’t know if they measure it similar to how Rocky Mountain does (measured further up the top tube than others), making it taller on paper than between your legs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone know about bottle capabilities for the Sniper? One for sure in the triangle, it would be a big oversight on Intense’s part to only do one set of bosses given that this is an XC bike. I am currently waiting on Yeti to see what they release soon, and this popped up on the radar. Ticks a lot of boxes, but 2 water bottles is a big one for me. I can currently run 2 big bottles and 1 stubby on my Element, but the pedaling efficiency is sub par and I don’t like lockouts. Anti squat numbers are very high for the Sniper.

mtbr member
    Dang this bike is looking very impressive...

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

The stand over is pretty high in my size (S), but I’m a bit under 5’5” with a 31.5” inseam, so I’ll have more than enough clearance. Hopefully that means the front triangle is quite roomy and can accommodate a big bottle without it hitting the shock knob. A big bottle does that on my Yeti ASRC and it drives me crazy. Nothing like having your bottle knock your rear shock into locked out when coming down Ahab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the suspension pivots run on bearings or bushings?

*edit* Nevermind. Pinkbike indicates bearings.

Living the Dream
    Anyone know if 66.5 HA is too slack for endurance xc races (100miles) with steep climbs? I am digging everything about the bike, but I really like 120mm forks vs 100mm. I have done the races before on HT bikes with 68-69HA. Thanks.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Anyone know if 66.5 HA is too slack for endurance xc races (100miles) with steep climbs? I am digging everything about the bike, but I really like 120mm forks vs 100mm. I have done the races before on HT bikes with 68-69HA. Thanks.
    It's kind of uncharted territory. Right now the hype and excitement is pretty high. We'll have to wait for objective real-world reports, not just the vids and press releases from Intense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    Anyone know about bottle capabilities for the Sniper? One for sure in the triangle, it would be a big oversight on Intense’s part to only do one set of bosses given that this is an XC bike. I am currently waiting on Yeti to see what they release soon, and this popped up on the radar. Ticks a lot of boxes, but 2 water bottles is a big one for me. I can currently run 2 big bottles and 1 stubby on my Element, but the pedaling efficiency is sub par and I don’t like lockouts. Anti squat numbers are very high for the Sniper.
    Mind sharing where you got the Sniper AS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Name:	Sniper-close3.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	1186191
    That Peterson fellow really ride 12,000 miles of singletrack last year? I respectfully think it's hyperbole/exaggeration/poetic license. That's more than 20/hr week roadies on boring pavement. Average 250 miles per week of singletrack??

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Unfortunately build spec is build spec for complete bikes. Since we use custom colors on components to match the frame colors and use custom tunes we're not able to have a lot of "loose" components.

You nailed most of the differences in SL and NM, however both NM and SL use the same shock. Only the Trail and XC use different shock stroke lengths. On the SL frames we also use a high modulus carbon fiber, it allows for a slightly different carbon layup that requires less material (read lighter) but is just as stiff.

Can't wait to start sending them out and seeing more of them on the trails and get your guys feedback!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Is this thing stiff enough for jumps and plowing through rock gardens? Seems a bit light. Having said that this looks like a great bike.

The frame is stiff enough for jumps and rock gardens. It comes down to components. The lighter you go on components the more you're going to get flex. I ride the 120mm Trail with the NM frame and only get real flex out of my alloy 23mm wheels.

mtbr member
    Why does intense list actual but not effective seat tube angle ? I assume it's not the same? For example 72.3 can't be the effective STA on the Primer surely ? Regarding the Sniper why such long seat tubes? The sizing chart says at 5'8" you can ride a large. But at that height you'd need a 100mm dropper. When the industry is going shorter seat tube longer dropper I don't get it. Even on an XC race bike and especially given there's a trail oriented version with pretty slack head tube angle.

Trail Ninja
    That Peterson fellow really ride 12,000 miles of singletrack last year? I respectfully think it's hyperbole/exaggeration/poetic license. That's more than 20/hr week roadies on boring pavement. Average 250 miles per week of singletrack??
    There's someone who did this in my area who we nicknamed "Miles". We didn't know him personally, but we'd watch* as he'd regularly ride loops around the perimeter from early in the day and refill at his car and repeat. Heard through the rumor mill that a club he belonged to celebrated some mileage milestone which was ridiculous like 10k, and it wasn't even the end of the year yet. Seemed very forced. I live like 20 miles north of Intense HQ. Doubt it's the same guy, as this guy I saw had the dark leathery skin to match the miles.

*didn't watch him literally. Just parked in the same area and we'd start and finish, hanging out by the cars, and hear that he's going out for more after being out there well before we came. xD
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It's kind of uncharted territory. Right now the hype and excitement is pretty high. We'll have to wait for objective real-world reports, not just the vids and press releases from Intense.
    I dont think its really uncharted territory. The Following is a 120mm 29er with 66.8 HA and 73.7 SA and 1160 WB and 435 reach. It's in the ballpark.

mtbr member

I don´t think riding hard in that kind of terrain is the intention of this bike. Maybe you will get away if you are a very light and smooth rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I don't think it will be a problem at all. You will get used and adapt to it in 10 minutes.

Living the Dream
    Good point, but I think that he meant for a lightweight XC bike.
    I dont think its really uncharted territory. The Following is a 120mm 29er with 66.8 HA and 73.7 SA and 1160 WB and 435 reach. It's in the ballpark.

"And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

And that's a 7.3 pound frame. The reach in a trail frame isn't even close to the eye-opening Sniper reach. My large django has 460-464 reach, more than the MB, and the large Sniper is even more....in a XC frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 426h View Post
    I don't think it will be a problem at all. You will get used and adapt to it in 10 minutes.
    For some who race tight swithback climbs it could be a major energy sapping "adaptation." Especially when combined with a seat angle that isn't steep or a suspension that doesn't have enough anti squat. Not that the Sniper suffers from either, but we don't know until real-world racers report with objectivity.
    What's that old cliche? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    On a sidenote, I think Tantrum Cycles addresses this possible issue with a rear suspension design that combats the flop of slack front end during ascents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Why does intense list actual but not effective seat tube angle ? I assume it's not the same? For example 72.3 can't be the effective STA on the Primer surely ? Regarding the Sniper why such long seat tubes? The sizing chart says at 5'8" you can ride a large. But at that height you'd need a 100mm dropper. When the industry is going shorter seat tube longer dropper I don't get it. Even on an XC race bike and especially given there's a trail oriented version with pretty slack head tube angle.
    Sizing charts are always a major generalized suggestion. At 5'8" I'd recommend a medium based on the Primer my friends ride. Maybe a 5'8" with uneven leg/torso who likes 30mm stems could ride a large. I'm just playing armchair geometry quarterback not having ridden a Sniper.

mtbr member
    Sizing charts are always a major generalized suggestion. At 5'8" I'd recommend a medium based on the Primer my friends ride. Maybe a 5'8" with uneven leg/torso who likes 30mm stems could ride a large. I'm just playing armchair geometry quarterback not having ridden a Sniper.
    Me too. I'm 5'11" on a L Primer. Perfect size with 50mm stem. I just think seat tube should be a bit shorter. I also think the effective seat tube angle is steeper than the published seat tube angle and I think that the geometry charts should include effective angle like most other companies do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Me too. I'm 5'11" on a L Primer. Perfect size with 50mm stem. I just think seat tube should be a bit shorter. I also think the effective seat tube angle is steeper than the published seat tube angle and I think that the geometry charts should include effective angle like most other companies do.
    EDIT: Made mistake see post #118
    Last edited by TwoTone; 03-14-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Antisquat, antirise etc. are found here:
    Intense Sniper 29'' 2019 - Linkage Design

Unfortunately it looks like it can only take one water bottle inside the main triangle? There don't appear to be water bottle bosses on the downtube, which is big mistake IMHO. A XC oriented bike should have 2 bottle capability...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    Antisquat, antirise etc. are found here:

Unfortunately it looks like it can only take one water bottle inside the main triangle? There don't appear to be water bottle bosses on the downtube, which is big mistake IMHO. A XC oriented bike should have 2 bottle capability...
    Thanks! I'm a 2 bottle type, and after my Czar's 2 bottles (yes, 1 was underneath where crap sprayed it, but swapping caps helps) I was frantically searching for another 2 bottle. Only the Element has it. Everything is 1. So now I carry bottles in my jersey pocket which has its own challenges. You can use the wolftooth 2 bottle side by side option. Are there any 2 bottle frames other than Element?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Interesting that the 120mm will not have actual 120mm based on 5mm longer shock. It will have 111mm rear travel in Trail mode.

According to Intense the frame has 100-120mm of travel, but 5mm of difference in the stroke of the shock absorber will never get 20mm difference in the travel of the wheel (5x2.2 = 11mm). It's funny but in the previous entry Knolly makes a very similar move, the difference is that Knolly rounds up to give the impression that the Fugitive is a Trail-AM model while Intense rounds down to reinforce the idea that the Sniper is a model of XC-Trail ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Norco Revolver is only other one that comes to mind. I've heard through the grapevine that the new Yeti SB4 may only be 1 water bottle inside the main triangle as well, which is a huge disappointment as well. I also need to carry bear spray for our riding, so taking 2 bottles in jersey pockets doesn't really work that well.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm a 2 bottle type, and after my Czar's 2 bottles (yes, 1 was underneath where crap sprayed it, but swapping caps helps) I was frantically searching for another 2 bottle. Only the Element has it. Everything is 1. So now I carry bottles in my jersey pocket which has its own challenges. You can use the wolftooth 2 bottle side by side option. Are there any 2 bottle frames other than Element?
    Specialized Epic holds two bottles. Unfortunately, frames that can accommodate two are few and far between. And I mean two inside the triangle. My jet 9 RDO holds one inside and one under the downtube, but under is a nasty place to carry one.

mtbr member
    Interesting that the 120mm will not have actual 120mm based on 5mm longer shock. It will have 111mm rear travel in Trail mode.

According to Intense the frame has 100-120mm of travel, but 5mm of difference in the stroke of the shock absorber will never get 20mm difference in the travel of the wheel (5x2.2 = 11mm). It's funny but in the previous entry Knolly makes a very similar move, the difference is that Knolly rounds up to give the impression that the Fugitive is a Trail-AM model while Intense rounds down to reinforce the idea that the Sniper is a model of XC-Trail ...
    It's the other way around, I think the travel of the Sniper it's 109-120mm.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast