Intense Sniper- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Intense Sniper

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Intense Sniper

You guys seeing the teaser pics on Instagram?

Looks like a more XC focused bike is on the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by S3tigoHide View Post
    You guys seeing the teaser pics on Instagram?

Looks like a more XC focused bike is on the way.
    Intense Sniper-sniper-close3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That looks slick! Can't wait to see it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Intense Sniper-sniper-sneak.jpg

mtbr member
    Found this on Flow MTB

https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/intense-sniper-test/

Numbers look pretty good. Fairly slack for an XC machine but there's nothing wrong with that

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Very nice. Hopefully a frame-only option comes in a different color.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Very nice. Hopefully a frame-only option comes in a different color.
    Wait about 30 mins and you'll see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Wait about 30 mins and you'll see.
    I have my running shoes on waiting for the Intense bandwagon to come by. My two buds snagged a Primer frame on closeout. None of us are VPP fans, but the Primer really impressed them. Obviously a slightly different design. I'm guessing the Sniper will be a $2999 frame which means I'll wait for a Black Friday/30% holiday sale.

On a somewhat related note, the likes of Kona Hei Hei have a 68 head angle with a 120 fork. I believe many US endurance/marathon riders who take a Top Fuel and slap a 120 without drastically jacking up the geometry prefer a 120 fork even if means taking a near 1 pound hit over an Stepcast. I have a F34 and Stepcast, and the handling is near night and day better for the long races and rides. A 120mm fork on the Sniper completely does away with the awesome reach/slack/xc geometry based on 100 fork. Designing a geometry/flip chip to allow a 120 fork and keep the aggressive trail-like geometry would be ideal. Run either fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Woah! Trail build at 120/120! Very intrigued.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    5mm longer shock stroke gets 20mm more travel yet a 1 degree slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This threw me into indecision. Was looking for a V2 Ripley but this looks really nice.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    May this threw me into indecision. Was looking for a V2 Ripley but this looks really nice.
    Frame available in July at the earliest. Think complete bikes ready end of March.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can't remember an Intense build near as light, 22 lb. XC.

Pro, Trail, Med at 25 lb.

Gets the attention of weight weenies.

chasing simplicity
    direct to consumer pricing makes a diff! 2499 frameset for the sl, 1999 for the nm...two different paint jobs...nice! https://intensecycles.com/collection...=6961490624535
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    direct to consumer pricing makes a diff! 2499 frameset for the sl, 1999 for the nm...two different paint jobs...nice! https://intensecycles.com/collection...=6961490624535
    They will have 4 diff paint jobs when available in July.

chasing simplicity
    ^Awesome.^

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well technically 2 paint jobs each frame. If you want an SL frame you can't get one of the NM paint jobs.

The only thing making me hesitate is the BB. BB 92 doesn't allow for 30mm spindle cranks with durable bearings.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well technically 2 paint jobs each frame. If you want an SL frame you can't get one of the NM paint jobs.

The only thing making me hesitate is the BB. BB 92 doesn't allow for 30mm spindle cranks with durable bearings.
    Please enlighten me.

30mm cranks leave less room for bearings than the smaller spindles. My experience is that the additional space will give room for larger and more durable bearings. Possibly not with all manufacturers, but maybe you need to shop around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    Please enlighten me.

30mm cranks leave less room for bearings than the smaller spindles. My experience is that the additional space will give room for larger and more durable bearings. Possibly not with all manufacturers, but maybe you need to shop around.
    Did you read what you wrote? How does a spindle that leaves less space for a bearing also have additional space for larger more durable bearings?

PF30 BB is 46MM in diameter leaving plenty of space for a proper bearing.

This frame is BB92 is 41mm and makes for a small bearing with horrible seals when using a 30mm spindle crank- supposedly it's one of the reason Sram developed DUB.

I love the bike, just wish they didn't push you into using 24mm spindle cranks or have to go new with Sram DUB cranks and BB.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    When you let the BB size determine which bike you buy, the problem is not with the frame design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    When you let the BB size determine which bike you buy, the problem is not with the frame design.
    You may enjoy replacing BBs 3 or 4 times a year, I don't.

I don't think you have a complete grasp on the issue , the BB size determines which cranks you can use. Personally have some pretty costly Hollowgram SiSL2 cranks that I'd like to use. BB92 makes that not reasonably possible.

Not bashing Intense, just an interesting choice.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You may enjoy replacing BBs 3 or 4 times a year, I don't.

I don't think you have a complete grasp on the issue , the BB size determines which cranks you can use. Personally have some pretty costly Hollowgram SiSL2 cranks that I'd like to use. BB92 makes that not reasonably possible.

Not bashing Intense, just an interesting choice.
    Not to get off topic, but I've had the same $25 sram bb in a Turner Czar since 2014 and it's still quiet (2nd owner in town still crushing big rides). This frame has over 400 hours each year. The Chiner HT and devinci have bb92. All quiet. Is it an installation issue or not enough teflon paste or ????

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not to get off topic, but I've had the same $25 sram bb in a Turner Czar since 2014 and it's still quiet (2nd owner in town still crushing big rides). This frame has over 400 hours each year. The Chiner HT and devinci have bb92. All quiet. Is it an installation issue or not enough teflon paste or ????
    Well the Czar has a PF30 which as I mentioned is different case. From what I can research the problem is specifically a BB92 and 30mm spindle. BB92 and 24mm spindle isn't an issue. So not knowing what cranks you have in your HT and Devinci, can't really comment.

I'm not speaking to the noise issue, I'm talking about bearing durability because the combination requires much smaller bearing than normal.

As I said this isn't a bash just commenting on what I find doing research. I've already called Intense twice today. I really want the frame, but it requires me to sell my SiSl2 cranks and go with different ones.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well the Czar has a PF30 which as I mentioned is different case. From what I can research the problem is specifically a BB92 and 30mm spindle. BB92 and 24mm spindle isn't an issue. So not knowing what cranks you have in your HT and Devinci, can't really comment.

I'm not speaking to the noise issue, I'm talking about bearing durability because the combination requires much smaller bearing than normal.

As I said this isn't a bash just commenting on what I find doing research. I've already called Intense twice today. I really want the frame, but it requires me to sell my SiSl2 cranks and go with different ones.
    Ah, that makes sense. My devinci has pf92 and uses Praxis Lyft carbon cranks which people seem to think SRAM copied with their DUB. I haven't looked into it.

mtbr member
    Very cool. I've been waiting for someone to release a bike like this for a while.
    BTW, I have had good luck with the bearings in my BB92 Carbine 29 and 30mm spindle Next SL cranks. Ran it for 2 years with the same bearings until the carbon crank arm delaminated from the alu. spindle (like they always do). Replaced them with XO1 cranks which has a 24mm spindle. No creaking from that BB either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 426h View Post
    Very cool. I've been waiting for someone to release a bike like this for a while.
    BTW, I have had good luck with the bearings in my BB92 Carbine 29 and 30mm spindle Next SL cranks. Ran it for 2 years with the same bearings until the carbon crank arm delaminated from the alu. spindle (like they always do). Replaced them with XO1 cranks which has a 24mm spindle. No creaking from that BB either.
    Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick, but every thread about bottom brackets, the Raceface ones have a ton of complaints and it's the only one I can find that allows you to run BB92 and 30mm spindle. I'm probably just going to take the chance.

As much as I hate PF BBs, the trail version is the bike I've been waiting on. Even having an internal debate on if I could get away with the XC version, but at around 200lbs and liking air I don't think the stepcast is a good idea for me.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Do u think this will be as capable as the m3 on descents ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    So, is it the same frame for the 120mm and 100mm versions? Just a longer shock for the 120mm?

If so, this might be my next bike. Would be great to be able to get a 120/120mm and 100/100mm bike with air shaft and shock swap.

Glad they went with PF30. Bigger bearings are a good thing; no interest in jamming a 30mm spindle into a PF92 shell and the tiny bearings used to accommodate that.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    So, is it the same frame for the 120mm and 100mm versions? Just a longer shock for the 120mm?

If so, this might be my next bike. Would be great to be able to get a 120/120mm and 100/100mm bike with air shaft and shock swap.

Glad they went with PF30. Bigger bearings are a good thing; no interest in jamming a 30mm spindle into a PF92 shell and the tiny bearings used to accommodate that.
    Yes. Same frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    .... at around 200lbs and liking air I don't think the stepcast is a good idea for me.
    It'd be a very, very bad idea. I'm 160 pounds and don't like air, and my Stepcast begs and pleads not to do crazy stuff.

mtbr member
    Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick, but every thread about bottom brackets, the Raceface ones have a ton of complaints and it's the only one I can find that allows you to run BB92 and 30mm spindle. I'm probably just going to take the chance.

As much as I hate PF BBs, the trail version is the bike I've been waiting on. Even having an internal debate on if I could get away with the XC version, but at around 200lbs and liking air I don't think the stepcast is a good idea for me.
    Yes, I know lots of people have problems with that combo. Just want to say, there exists some people without issues also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

You can also run it as a 110mm rear travel. That is the neat thing about metric shocks.

160x140 100mm rear travel
    160x42.5 110mm rear travel
    160x45 120mm rear travel.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member

Intense Sniper

Oops- edited because of oversight about the BB. 🤷🏻*♂️

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!
    Last edited by Noclutch; 03-08-2018 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I know it's impossible to know, but what is MTBR for other than reckless speculation?

What do you guys expect for frame durability? My understanding was that frames in this geometry/travel class keep getting heavier to maintain durability as they get ridden harder. This seems awfully light compared to anything else with a ~67 degree HTA. Kinda crazy that I'm considering a Trail Sniper vs a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol. Super similar in so many ways, but so different. You can't tell me that I wouldn't ride the Sniper as hard as I would the TP. Might have to try to ride both this spring, would be an interesting comparison that should help me figure out what feels best to me on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Screw it I just placed my order Trail SL frame in the Gray/Red
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Oops- edited because of oversight about the BB. 🤷🏻*♂️

What did you edit? I came back to look for that thread you linked to order those bearings.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Screw it I just placed my order Trail SL frame in the Gray/Red
    You purchased complete bike because there is no Trail SL frame option, right?

mtbr member

Intense Sniper

Iím confused and/ or ignorant.
    Does the frame have a PF92 or a more conventional PF30 in a 92mm wide shell?

If PF92 ( poor nomenclature as I understand), which means 41mm shell ID, then yes there will be much grumbling about BB choices/lack there of.

If it is truly a PF30 albeit in a 92mm wide shell but with a 46 ID, then there will be many good BB options.

And regarding the websites stating itís a
    ďSram DUB Pressfit 30 mm BB92Ē....I thought DUB meant 28.9mm. 🤯

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You purchased complete bike because there is no Trail SL frame option, right?
    No placed a frame order. They are talking names and basically making a list and they'll contact you when the frames arrive.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Iím confused and/ or ignorant.
    Does the frame have a PF92 or a more conventional PF30 in a 92mm wide shell?

If PF92 ( poor nomenclature as I understand), which means 41mm shell ID, then yes there will be much grumbling about BB choices/lack there of.

If it is truly a PF30 albeit in a 92mm wide shell but with a 46 ID, then there will be many good BB options.

And regarding the websites stating itís a
    ďSram DUB Pressfit 30 mm BB92Ē....I thought DUB meant 28.9mm. 🤯

Maybe I misunderstood on the phone. I was told order a BB92 BB.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcro View Post
    I know it's impossible to know, but what is MTBR for other than reckless speculation?

What do you guys expect for frame durability?.
    Speculation? Na. 🤣

Regarding durability, this sentence from the Pinkbike review caught my eye....
    ĒAt 21 pounds and some change (10kg), the top-drawer Sniper Factory XC can shamelessly walk the runway with the likes of Scott's Spark - the racebike that sets the bar for dual-suspension on the Pro Tour. (Spoiler alert: they share the same factory.)....!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    It'd be a very, very bad idea. I'm 160 pounds and don't like air, and my Stepcast begs and pleads not to do crazy stuff.
    I'm with Westin on this one. I'm 160lbs and I did three rides on the 100mm stepcast 32 and that fork got noodly real quick. I'm an aggressive rider, not the best at floating chunky sections, and I like to jump. I rode it like a trail bike and it did well but was flexy. Knowing what I really wanted was a super light trail bike that I could smash climbs on and still have a blast on my local downhills I ended up building my Sniper up as a 120mm version.

I'm running the Fox Factory 34 fork and it's solid. I run the same fork on my Primer and love it. The stepcast fork was great when I rode the bike on XC style rides, but as soon as I started pushing it harder in turns and through chunky sections I noticed it. This bike is scary in how comfortable you feel going downhill.

I've been riding the 120mm Green/Black NM sniper in a custom build for about 3 months now. I went a little more XC inspired on the build with wheels/tires/bar even though I wanted the 120mm travel.

Here's how I've built it:
    Sniper NM Frame
    Fox Factory 34 120mm Fork
    Fox Factory 120mm shock
    Enve Carbon 55mm mountain stem
    Intense 760mm Flat Carbon Bar
    Rockshox Reverb 125mm dropper
    XX1 Eagle Cranks 175mm with 34T chainring
    XX1 Eagle Derailleur & Shifter
    Stans Crest S1 Wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2" rear
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front
    Shimano XT brakes with 160mm Centerlock rotors front and rear
    Fabric Scoop Radius Saddle with Ti rails
    HT Components T1 Pedals
    (Note I updated a couple things like pedals, saddle, and tires since attached pic)

I originally ran Maxxis Ikon tires and while they were great fast rolling tires, they did not grip in dusty Socal terrain. The Ardent Race tires are great, fast rolling, light weight, and a good bite with the outer knobs.

Intense Sniper-img_7858.jpgIntense Sniper-img_7856.jpgIntense Sniper-img_7855.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm with Westin on this one. I'm 160lbs and I did three rides on the 10mm stepcast 32 and that fork got noodly real quick. I'm an aggressive rider, not the best at floating chunky sections, and I like to jump. I rode it like a trail bike and it did well but was flexy. Knowing what I really wanted was a super light trail bike that I could smash climbs on and still have a blast on my local downhills I ended up building my Sniper up as a 120mm version.

I'm running the Fox Factory 34 fork and it's solid. I run the same fork on my Primer and love it. The stepcast fork was great when I rode the bike on XC style rides, but as soon as I started pushing it harder in turns and through chunky sections I noticed it. This bike is scary in how comfortable you feel going downhill.

I've been riding the 120mm Green/Black NM sniper in a custom build for about 3 months now. I went a little more XC inspired on the build with wheels/tires/bar even though I wanted the 120mm travel.

Here's how I've built it:
    Sniper NM Frame
    Fox Factory 34 120mm Fork
    Fox Factory 120mm shock
    Enve Carbon 55mm mountain stem
    Intense 760mm Flat Carbon Bar
    Rockshox Reverb 125mm dropper
    XX1 Eagle Cranks 175mm with 34T chainring
    XX1 Eagle Derailleur & Shifter
    Stans Crest S1 Wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2" rear
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front
    Shimano XT brakes with 160mm Centerlock rotors front and rear
    Fabric Scoop Radius Saddle with Ti rails
    HT Components T1 Pedals
    (Note I updated a couple things like pedals, saddle, and tires since attached pic)

I originally ran Maxxis Ikon tires and while they were great fast rolling tires, they did not grip in dusty Socal terrain. The Ardent Race tires are great, fast rolling, light weight, and a good bite with the outer knobs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7858.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	1186527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7856.jpg 
Views:	1383 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	1186528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7855.jpg 
Views:	2709 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	1186529
    Nice, do you all have any more real pictures of the different colorways you could share?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice. Didn't know there was a trail SL frame only option.

mtbr member
    Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick, but every thread about bottom brackets, the Raceface ones have a ton of complaints and it's the only one I can find that allows you to run BB92 and 30mm spindle.
    Hope offers a BB92 for 30 mm axles as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've seen some talk about the Sniper Vs. Primer.

The Primer is my all time favorite bike for 80% of the riding I do. It is my go to bike and it is the bike that I have the most fun on, hands down. When you look at travel alone the Primer is only 10-20mm travel more than the Sniper Trail.

So, I have a 120mm Sniper and a 140/130mm Primer. Seems redundant, but for me they both hold a place in my quiver.

The Primer is deceiving. It rides like a 150-160mm enduro bike but is nimble and fast in turns. The steep seat tube angle gives you the ability to really drive power on both punchy and sustained climbs.

The Sniper is my training bike. I tried the road bike thing, It's ok for group rides but I just couldn't get into it. The Sniper allows me to go on long 30-50mile rides and also go out on shorter rides and feel like superman on the climbs. I've done side by side rides on my Sniper and Primer and on the downs I can get close to Primer times but I feel more on the edge with the Sniper (I think if I put burlier tires and a wider wheel on my Sniper it would help with this), but when it comes to the climbs the Sniper wants to go fast, put power to the crank and you're instantly rewarded.

If you are torn between these two bikes you really need to ride each. I ride both regularly and it really comes down to my mood and fitness to fun goals for the ride.

mtbr member
    Creativefletch must have Intense connections!
    Us commoners have to wait till July for a frameset

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

I am fairly certain he works for Intense. I see his comparison/assessment provided above as very insightful and valuable to potential buyers. I will say his involvement on this forum helped me pull the trigger on the Primer Bandit a few weeks back (for which I am thankful).

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Wonder how the Sniper XC would ride with a 120mm fork?

mtbr member
    Good insight on Sniper vs Primer.
    120 Sniper and 130 Bandit Primer are pretty close.
    Not sure of the color scheme on the new bike. The Bandit Primer killed it for color scheme IMHO.

Impressive weight on the XC sniper at 22 pounds.
    My Trek Top Fuel 100XC bike with carbon hoops, 125 dropper and XX1 Eagle is about 24.5 pounds. Do love having a push button lockout for F/R on a 100m travel bike, like on the Trek.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

I work for Intense, so take my posts with a slice of favorability. I also love riding mountain bikes, so I'm pretty transparent when it comes to things I like and don't like (like not having a water bottle mount on a Tracer).

For Frame only yes, July is when those will be arriving and we're able to ship. We've just began offering the frame only option again with the Rider Direct program so we're working to get this option more inline with complete build launches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RCederholm View Post
    I am fairly certain he works for Intense. I see his comparison/assessment provided above as very insightful and valuable to potential buyers. I will say his involvement on this forum helped me pull the trigger on the Primer Bandit a few weeks back (for which I am thankful).
    Glad I could help. You know that the Primer bandit is my favorite. As much as I want to keep it in the garage hung on the wall like art, it's too much fun of a bike not to rip!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    The Sniper XC with a 120mm fork is essentially the Sniper Trail version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    I wouldn't see the point in all honesty. The frames are exactly the same. The HA changes because of the fork travel change and the rear because of the shock.

Unless I missed something
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I work for Intense, so take my posts with a slice of favorability. I also love riding mountain bikes, so I'm pretty transparent when it comes to things I like and don't like (like not having a water bottle mount on a Tracer).

For Frame only yes, July is when those will be arriving and we're able to ship. We've just began offering the frame only option again with the Rider Direct program so we're working to get this option more inline with complete build launches.
    You would've sold a boatload of frames in the past 24 hours based on impulse, hype, weight weenie-ism and geometry chart. When the site said available March 26th, I put a large in the shopping cart and got a shipping quote. But it was not to be, sigh.

I wonder how many have contacted Intense asking for a frame only RIGHT THE F NOW even after reading the July availability. It's gonna be like a Tesla Model 3. Get on the list and be patient.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Technical director and IFR Master Wrench Chappy Fiene's custom built Sniper in the Grey/Red SL color way.

Intense Sniper-28782927_10209050234293378_8390244532863631360_o.jpgIntense Sniper-28660457_10209050233613361_3190686914495643648_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Technical director and IFR Master Wrench Chappy Fiene's custom built Sniper in the Grey/Red SL color way.

Name:	28782927_10209050234293378_8390244532863631360_o.jpg 
Views:	3547 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	1186568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28660457_10209050233613361_3190686914495643648_o.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1186569
    Thanks a lot that helps, that's the colorway I ordered.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Great to have you here and interactive Creativefletch!

So in regards to direct to consumer ordering, is there any latitude on build specs, or is it only straight by the build spec sheet?

Also, other than shock length, colors, ti hardware (presumably linkage bolts, axle?) and mg lower link material (vs al?), what is the difference between the SL and NM framesets?

Thanks again for your participation. And yea, if forum "heat" is any indicator, Intense has a slam dunk on their hands here!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You would've sold a boatload of frames in the past 24 hours based on impulse, hype, weight weenie-ism and geometry chart. When the site said available March 26th, I put a large in the shopping cart and got a shipping quote. But it was not to be, sigh.

I wonder how many have contacted Intense asking for a frame only RIGHT THE F NOW even after reading the July availability. It's gonna be like a Tesla Model 3. Get on the list and be patient.
    Didn't ask for now, just wanted to be in the first batch, so I'm happy.

that said, learned my lesson before, won't sell old one until I have this one.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    I'm pretty interested in this thing. I've been using my Primer for the last 12 months as a "do-all" bike at 130mm-140mm. I've done a couple of longer XC races with the rear end set to 115mm and it's a quick and efficient ride, with plenty of confidence with the slacker front end.

When I'm out on the trails it can get me into trouble with the speed it generates into chunky sections and isn't as composed as say my old Canfield Riot. As a one bike does all though, it's about perfect for me.

But I'm planning on racing more this year and the Sniper looks like it'll be an absolute weapon. But then I'd want another bigger bike for the more aggressive stuff and bike parks. Something 140 to 160mm rear would be some good separation. I think I'll stick with the Primer this year and keep changing up the spec for racing or trail riding.

Good to see Intense back in the XC game!

mtbr member

Name:	28782927_10209050234293378_8390244532863631360_o.jpg 
Views:	3547 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	1186568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28660457_10209050233613361_3190686914495643648_o.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1186569
    Hansel...so hot right now...Hansel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any comparisons between the Spider and the Sniper Trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

So in regards to direct to consumer ordering, is there any latitude on build specs, or is it only straight by the build spec sheet?

Also, other than shock length, colors, ti hardware (presumably linkage bolts, axle?) and mg lower link material (vs al?), what is the difference between the SL and NM framesets?

Thanks again for your participation. And yea, if forum "heat" is any indicator, Intense has a slam dunk on their hands here!
    I also think it's different carbon

Their SL frames say High Modulus carbon on other models as well and the NM frame just says UD carbon
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For the hell of it I ran the numbers on the parts I'd be transfering over plus and few I'd have to buy and come up with roughly a 22.8 lb Trail build.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Is this thing stiff enough for jumps and plowing through rock gardens? Seems a bit light. Having said that this looks like a great bike.

mtbr member
    Super keen on this bike (Trail version in particular).

Had been looking at a Scott Spark to supplement my 2016 Tracer, but this has shot to the top of my list.

Funny that this XC bike has as slack a HTA as my 2 year old enduro bike!

mtbr member
    Anyone know what seatpost diameter the Sniper takes? 31.6 or 30.9?
    TIA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The standover is pretty high, BB pretty low, seat tube length pretty long. Anyone think these specs would be an issue?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    The standover is pretty high, BB pretty low, seat tube length pretty long. Anyone think these specs would be an issue?

Stand over doesn't matter, the bike needs to fit riding. Seriously why do people still even look at stand over. I have a spreadsheet of all the bikes I was considering and there's a measurement that's not on it- stand over. I couldn't tell you the stand over on any of the bikes I've owned the last 5 years. Some hit the boys and some had plenty of clearance- never matters.

For me I'm right in between sizes so I went Medium which makes the numbers similar to many other larges I was looking at.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Anyone know what seatpost diameter the Sniper takes? 31.6 or 30.9?
    TIA.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    The stand over caught my eye for sure. Donít know if they measure it similar to how Rocky Mountain does (measured further up the top tube than others), making it taller on paper than between your legs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone know about bottle capabilities for the Sniper? One for sure in the triangle, it would be a big oversight on Intenseís part to only do one set of bosses given that this is an XC bike. I am currently waiting on Yeti to see what they release soon, and this popped up on the radar. Ticks a lot of boxes, but 2 water bottles is a big one for me. I can currently run 2 big bottles and 1 stubby on my Element, but the pedaling efficiency is sub par and I donít like lockouts. Anti squat numbers are very high for the Sniper.

mtbr member
    Dang this bike is looking very impressive...

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

The stand over is pretty high in my size (S), but Iím a bit under 5í5Ē with a 31.5Ē inseam, so Iíll have more than enough clearance. Hopefully that means the front triangle is quite roomy and can accommodate a big bottle without it hitting the shock knob. A big bottle does that on my Yeti ASRC and it drives me crazy. Nothing like having your bottle knock your rear shock into locked out when coming down Ahab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the suspension pivots run on bearings or bushings?

*edit* Nevermind. Pinkbike indicates bearings.

Living the Dream
    Anyone know if 66.5 HA is too slack for endurance xc races (100miles) with steep climbs? I am digging everything about the bike, but I really like 120mm forks vs 100mm. I have done the races before on HT bikes with 68-69HA. Thanks.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Anyone know if 66.5 HA is too slack for endurance xc races (100miles) with steep climbs? I am digging everything about the bike, but I really like 120mm forks vs 100mm. I have done the races before on HT bikes with 68-69HA. Thanks.
    It's kind of uncharted territory. Right now the hype and excitement is pretty high. We'll have to wait for objective real-world reports, not just the vids and press releases from Intense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    Anyone know about bottle capabilities for the Sniper? One for sure in the triangle, it would be a big oversight on Intenseís part to only do one set of bosses given that this is an XC bike. I am currently waiting on Yeti to see what they release soon, and this popped up on the radar. Ticks a lot of boxes, but 2 water bottles is a big one for me. I can currently run 2 big bottles and 1 stubby on my Element, but the pedaling efficiency is sub par and I donít like lockouts. Anti squat numbers are very high for the Sniper.
    Mind sharing where you got the Sniper AS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Name:	Sniper-close3.jpg 
Views:	1011 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	1186191
    That Peterson fellow really ride 12,000 miles of singletrack last year? I respectfully think it's hyperbole/exaggeration/poetic license. That's more than 20/hr week roadies on boring pavement. Average 250 miles per week of singletrack??

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Unfortunately build spec is build spec for complete bikes. Since we use custom colors on components to match the frame colors and use custom tunes we're not able to have a lot of "loose" components.

You nailed most of the differences in SL and NM, however both NM and SL use the same shock. Only the Trail and XC use different shock stroke lengths. On the SL frames we also use a high modulus carbon fiber, it allows for a slightly different carbon layup that requires less material (read lighter) but is just as stiff.

Can't wait to start sending them out and seeing more of them on the trails and get your guys feedback!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Is this thing stiff enough for jumps and plowing through rock gardens? Seems a bit light. Having said that this looks like a great bike.

The frame is stiff enough for jumps and rock gardens. It comes down to components. The lighter you go on components the more you're going to get flex. I ride the 120mm Trail with the NM frame and only get real flex out of my alloy 23mm wheels.

mtbr member
    Why does intense list actual but not effective seat tube angle ? I assume it's not the same? For example 72.3 can't be the effective STA on the Primer surely ? Regarding the Sniper why such long seat tubes? The sizing chart says at 5'8" you can ride a large. But at that height you'd need a 100mm dropper. When the industry is going shorter seat tube longer dropper I don't get it. Even on an XC race bike and especially given there's a trail oriented version with pretty slack head tube angle.

Trail Ninja
    That Peterson fellow really ride 12,000 miles of singletrack last year? I respectfully think it's hyperbole/exaggeration/poetic license. That's more than 20/hr week roadies on boring pavement. Average 250 miles per week of singletrack??
    There's someone who did this in my area who we nicknamed "Miles". We didn't know him personally, but we'd watch* as he'd regularly ride loops around the perimeter from early in the day and refill at his car and repeat. Heard through the rumor mill that a club he belonged to celebrated some mileage milestone which was ridiculous like 10k, and it wasn't even the end of the year yet. Seemed very forced. I live like 20 miles north of Intense HQ. Doubt it's the same guy, as this guy I saw had the dark leathery skin to match the miles.

*didn't watch him literally. Just parked in the same area and we'd start and finish, hanging out by the cars, and hear that he's going out for more after being out there well before we came. xD
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It's kind of uncharted territory. Right now the hype and excitement is pretty high. We'll have to wait for objective real-world reports, not just the vids and press releases from Intense.
    I dont think its really uncharted territory. The Following is a 120mm 29er with 66.8 HA and 73.7 SA and 1160 WB and 435 reach. It's in the ballpark.

mtbr member

I donīt think riding hard in that kind of terrain is the intention of this bike. Maybe you will get away if you are a very light and smooth rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I don't think it will be a problem at all. You will get used and adapt to it in 10 minutes.

Living the Dream
    Good point, but I think that he meant for a lightweight XC bike.
    I dont think its really uncharted territory. The Following is a 120mm 29er with 66.8 HA and 73.7 SA and 1160 WB and 435 reach. It's in the ballpark.

"And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

And that's a 7.3 pound frame. The reach in a trail frame isn't even close to the eye-opening Sniper reach. My large django has 460-464 reach, more than the MB, and the large Sniper is even more....in a XC frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 426h View Post
    I don't think it will be a problem at all. You will get used and adapt to it in 10 minutes.
    For some who race tight swithback climbs it could be a major energy sapping "adaptation." Especially when combined with a seat angle that isn't steep or a suspension that doesn't have enough anti squat. Not that the Sniper suffers from either, but we don't know until real-world racers report with objectivity.
    What's that old cliche? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    On a sidenote, I think Tantrum Cycles addresses this possible issue with a rear suspension design that combats the flop of slack front end during ascents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Why does intense list actual but not effective seat tube angle ? I assume it's not the same? For example 72.3 can't be the effective STA on the Primer surely ? Regarding the Sniper why such long seat tubes? The sizing chart says at 5'8" you can ride a large. But at that height you'd need a 100mm dropper. When the industry is going shorter seat tube longer dropper I don't get it. Even on an XC race bike and especially given there's a trail oriented version with pretty slack head tube angle.
    Sizing charts are always a major generalized suggestion. At 5'8" I'd recommend a medium based on the Primer my friends ride. Maybe a 5'8" with uneven leg/torso who likes 30mm stems could ride a large. I'm just playing armchair geometry quarterback not having ridden a Sniper.

mtbr member
    Sizing charts are always a major generalized suggestion. At 5'8" I'd recommend a medium based on the Primer my friends ride. Maybe a 5'8" with uneven leg/torso who likes 30mm stems could ride a large. I'm just playing armchair geometry quarterback not having ridden a Sniper.
    Me too. I'm 5'11" on a L Primer. Perfect size with 50mm stem. I just think seat tube should be a bit shorter. I also think the effective seat tube angle is steeper than the published seat tube angle and I think that the geometry charts should include effective angle like most other companies do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Me too. I'm 5'11" on a L Primer. Perfect size with 50mm stem. I just think seat tube should be a bit shorter. I also think the effective seat tube angle is steeper than the published seat tube angle and I think that the geometry charts should include effective angle like most other companies do.
    EDIT: Made mistake see post #118
    Last edited by TwoTone; 03-14-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Antisquat, antirise etc. are found here:
    Intense Sniper 29'' 2019 - Linkage Design

Unfortunately it looks like it can only take one water bottle inside the main triangle? There don't appear to be water bottle bosses on the downtube, which is big mistake IMHO. A XC oriented bike should have 2 bottle capability...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    Antisquat, antirise etc. are found here:

Unfortunately it looks like it can only take one water bottle inside the main triangle? There don't appear to be water bottle bosses on the downtube, which is big mistake IMHO. A XC oriented bike should have 2 bottle capability...
    Thanks! I'm a 2 bottle type, and after my Czar's 2 bottles (yes, 1 was underneath where crap sprayed it, but swapping caps helps) I was frantically searching for another 2 bottle. Only the Element has it. Everything is 1. So now I carry bottles in my jersey pocket which has its own challenges. You can use the wolftooth 2 bottle side by side option. Are there any 2 bottle frames other than Element?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Interesting that the 120mm will not have actual 120mm based on 5mm longer shock. It will have 111mm rear travel in Trail mode.

According to Intense the frame has 100-120mm of travel, but 5mm of difference in the stroke of the shock absorber will never get 20mm difference in the travel of the wheel (5x2.2 = 11mm). It's funny but in the previous entry Knolly makes a very similar move, the difference is that Knolly rounds up to give the impression that the Fugitive is a Trail-AM model while Intense rounds down to reinforce the idea that the Sniper is a model of XC-Trail ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Norco Revolver is only other one that comes to mind. I've heard through the grapevine that the new Yeti SB4 may only be 1 water bottle inside the main triangle as well, which is a huge disappointment as well. I also need to carry bear spray for our riding, so taking 2 bottles in jersey pockets doesn't really work that well.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm a 2 bottle type, and after my Czar's 2 bottles (yes, 1 was underneath where crap sprayed it, but swapping caps helps) I was frantically searching for another 2 bottle. Only the Element has it. Everything is 1. So now I carry bottles in my jersey pocket which has its own challenges. You can use the wolftooth 2 bottle side by side option. Are there any 2 bottle frames other than Element?
    Specialized Epic holds two bottles. Unfortunately, frames that can accommodate two are few and far between. And I mean two inside the triangle. My jet 9 RDO holds one inside and one under the downtube, but under is a nasty place to carry one.

mtbr member
    Interesting that the 120mm will not have actual 120mm based on 5mm longer shock. It will have 111mm rear travel in Trail mode.

According to Intense the frame has 100-120mm of travel, but 5mm of difference in the stroke of the shock absorber will never get 20mm difference in the travel of the wheel (5x2.2 = 11mm). It's funny but in the previous entry Knolly makes a very similar move, the difference is that Knolly rounds up to give the impression that the Fugitive is a Trail-AM model while Intense rounds down to reinforce the idea that the Sniper is a model of XC-Trail ...
    It's the other way around, I think the travel of the Sniper it's 109-120mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Why does that moron still get used as any kind of reference? He's one of the jackass' that said the Tantrum couldn't possible work and would bottom out going off a curb. So much for any credibility.
    Ripley LS v3

Trail Ninja
    Why does that moron still get used as any kind of reference? He's one of the jackass' that said the Tantrum couldn't possible work and would bottom out going off a curb. So much for any credibility.
    Got something better? I'll take Tony's take over having nothing else. It was interesting having the Tantrum creator contest/verify, but IIRC he was pretty secretive and only contested the accuracy/precision of the modeling, claiming things like parallax error in the photo used (vs 2d model). If what I've learned from Tony is all an illusion/lie, I'd like for someone to replace it with the truth. Did Vital and AndreXTR post something on this too?

Why do other people even use any of us morons as a reference? It's relative. If there were better references than you, I'd have you on ignore based on the same logic of being a jackass with questionable credibility. That's you who judges Knockblock, PF BBs, and all sorts of other "proprietary" stuff, right? Same guy who de-lists PF92 frames from your consideration since they don't play nice with 30mm cranks, rather than getting cranks that play nicer with the frame? Looking to make an exception this time, or just here to troll and try to rile people up?

Looking at the analysis, it makes me want to try it back to back with a Tallboy 3 to see what kind of traits I like. Less AS/PK, less AR, less progressivity, etc. Perhaps I wouldn't even think about that stuff on the ride, and be more impressed by the entire package, like how balanced the bike feels and how well it carves and well it responds to my pedaling output. Figure I can adjust it with a bigger chainring, air shock tuning, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Got something better? I'll take Tony's take over having nothing else. It was interesting having the Tantrum creator contest/verify, but IIRC he was pretty secretive and only contested the accuracy/precision of the modeling, claiming things like parallax error in the photo used (vs 2d model). If what I've learned from Tony is all an illusion/lie, I'd like for someone to replace it with the truth. Did Vital and AndreXTR post something on this too?

Why do other people even use any of us morons as a reference? It's relative. If there were better references than you, I'd have you on ignore based on the same logic of being a jackass with questionable credibility. That's you who judges Knockblock, PF BBs, and all sorts of other "proprietary" stuff, right? Same guy who de-lists PF92 frames from your consideration since they don't play nice with 30mm cranks, rather than getting cranks that play nicer with the frame? Looking to make an exception this time, or just here to troll and try to rile people up?

Looking at the analysis, it makes me want to try it back to back with a Tallboy 3 to see what kind of traits I like. Less AS/PK, less AR, less progressivity, etc. Perhaps I wouldn't even think about that stuff on the ride, and be more impressed by the entire package, like how balanced the bike feels and how well it carves and well it responds to my pedaling output. Figure I can adjust it with a bigger chainring, air shock tuning, etc.
    Those are my opinions and I never have presented them as fact, huge difference. I was the first to say I was torn. I hate PF BBs and BB92 is even worse because it doesn't play nice with 30mm spindles.

But the rest of the frame is what I've been looking for, so I'm going to give a try and hope I don't regret it. First I'll try with my Holograms and if that doesn't work I'll back to the XTRs.

After that if the PF BB ends up being problematic I'll sell the frame. It is what it is.
    Ripley LS v3

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Those are my opinions and I never have presented them as fact, huge difference. I was the first to say I was torn. I hate PF BBs and BB92 is even worse because it doesn't play nice with 30mm spindles.

But the rest of the frame is what I've been looking for, so I'm going to give a try and hope I don't regret it. First I'll try with my Holograms and if that doesn't work I'll back to the XTRs.

After that if the PF BB ends up being problematic I'll sell the frame. It is what it is.
    Find a thread together PF30 BB. The one I have on my Yeti has been flawless for 2.5 years. With Hollowgrams, of course.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The stand over is pretty high in my size (S), but Iím a bit under 5í5Ē with a 31.5Ē inseam, so Iíll have more than enough clearance. Hopefully that means the front triangle is quite roomy and can accommodate a big bottle without it hitting the shock knob. A big bottle does that on my Yeti ASRC and it drives me crazy. Nothing like having your bottle knock your rear shock into locked out when coming down Ahab.

With that inseam you will have plenty of clearance on a small. I've got a 32" inseam and have been riding a medium Trail version. For the water bottle you can run a full 26oz water bottle and it won't hit the climb switch when riding. However, it can bump with a top load bottle cage. I normally run a 22oz bottle and it's perfect. Looking for recommendations on side load water bottle cages, it would be easier for on-the-go water water grabs.

mtbr member
    With that inseam you will have plenty of clearance on a small. I've got a 32" inseam and have been riding a medium Trail version. For the water bottle you can run a full 26oz water bottle and it won't hit the climb switch when riding. However, it can bump with a top load bottle cage. I normally run a 22oz bottle and it's perfect. Looking for recommendations on side load water bottle cages, it would be easier for on-the-go water water grabs.
    Arundel side loader or other side loader. I run them on all my MTBs and haven't had one bounce out yet. All Midwest XC in roots and rocks. Couldn't speak to how they would perform under other conditions, however.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    69.4 degrees Actual (XC) 68.4 degrees Actual (Trail)

mtbr member
    For me I'm right in between sizes so I went Medium which makes the numbers similar to many other larges I was looking at.
    How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and looking at both medium and large, but not sure which way to go. I'm always between sizes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and looking at both medium and large, but not sure which way to go. I'm always between sizes.
    At 5'10" I would size up to a Large on this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm also super excited about this bike!
    You've all probably seen that Vital MTB has a vid featuring Chad P. at the top of their piece about the Sniper. In the first 10 seconds of the vid, two Snipers ride past - up a rocky section of trail.
    Have you noticed the the second one - at about 6 seconds - seems to wiggle the back wheel as it crests the ledge under power? That troubles me. Might it just be a loose rear axle? If the rear is truly that flexy it would be a bummer.
    Does it worry anyone else? Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Anyone here better at math than me know what the geo (specifically HTA/STA) would look like with a 160x42.5 (so 110 travel) shock and a 130 fork? If I'm thinking correctly, it'd be pretty similar to the geo of the regular trail build 120/120, right? If so, this is very tempting. I want 130 up front though, and I wouldn't want to slack it out anymore than it already is.
    Patrick

Formerly of Kent
    I didn't see anything that resembled frame flex in that video.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    At 5'10" I would size up to a Large on this bike.
    EDIT: Made mistake see post #118
    Last edited by TwoTone; 03-14-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    I'm also super excited about this bike!
    You've all probably seen that Vital MTB has a vid featuring Chad P. at the top of their piece about the Sniper. In the first 10 seconds of the vid, two Snipers ride past - up a rocky section of trail.
    Have you noticed the the second one - at about 6 seconds - seems to wiggle the back wheel as it crests the ledge under power? That troubles me. Might it just be a loose rear axle? If the rear is truly that flexy it would be a bummer.
    Does it worry anyone else? Maybe I'm reading too much into it?
    Yeah I think I see right at 6 to 7 seconds. There is a wobble.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think its more about inseam. One thing I think I've discovered while frame shopping is for my height I have a short inseam.

Again this is just my observation- I respectfully disagree with the guys at Intense. I think the seat tubes are too long. No I'm not an engineer, but you can look through the Canfield Riot thread to see the discussions.

Kept getting told to go large should be fine. I keep running the numbers with BB to saddle rail height and couldn't come up with a 125mm dropper that would fit my 32'' inseam. Lucky for me my Riot had an alignment issue so I was given a new one under warranty. That said the 2nd batch had a shorter seat tube. I know that's much easier to do with AL.

I'm not trying to put a damper on anyone, but I'd take careful measurement. I know a 19.2 seat tube will not work for me so I have to go medium or skip the bike.

I'm traveling now, but I'll post a picture of my Ripley with a 125mm Fox and 18.5'' seat tube. I run 170mm cranks with Crampon Pedals wearing 5-10s.
    I'm less concerned about a dropper. I have yet to use one, but who knows, I may love it. So this is definitely something to consider.

The extra reach on the large is what concerns me. Trying to figure out handlebar reach. Even with a shorter stem, the large Intense stretches me out another few centimeters vs my current medium XC bikes w/ 80 and 85 mm stems. I haven't ridden anything long and slack before. So maybe it isn't a problem? I wouldn't know at this point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quick ride on the Sniper this morning. This bike always surprises me how quick it is on the downs.

Intense Sniper-img_8393.jpg
    Last edited by creativefletch; 03-13-2018 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I would love to take this out to PCE and see how it does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So I wanted to make sure I posted this. I was wrong when it came to the seatpost length on my OG Riplay v2. When looking at their archive is a little confusing as they don't specifically list the OGv2. So my Ripley a 19'' seat tube and I have about an inch between the top of the ST and collar on my Fox 125 Transfer.

Humbly appologize for my mistake- now I need to rethink my frame order.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    So I wanted to make sure I posted this. I was wrong when it came to the seatpost length on my OG Riplay v2. When looking at their archive is a little confusing as they don't specifically list the OGv2. So my Ripley a 19'' seat tube and I have about an inch between the top of the ST and collar on my Fox 125 Transfer.

Humbly appologize for my mistake- now I need to rethink my frame order.
    Large may work then?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes I'm pretty sure a large will work fine. In trying to find a frame I did sit on a 19.5 Fuel EX which is my charts. I didn't really feel stretched out even though the reach on it is much longer than my OG Ripley.

I'm posting this incase it helps anyone. All frames are larges, the Fuel is 19.5

Intense Sniper-frames.jpg
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @creativefletch

I'm wondering if anyone at Intense has run the Sniper trail with a 130-140mm fork and shorter stem. And if so, how have they liked it / how has it changed the ride characteristics?

Seems like it could perform similar to a Devinci Django / Transition Smuggler (2018) without weighing as much as a small car.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tower View Post
    @creativefletch

I'm wondering if anyone at Intense has run the Sniper trail with a 130-140mm fork and shorter stem. And if so, how have they liked it / how has it changed the ride characteristics?

Seems like it could perform similar to a Devinci Django / Transition Smuggler (2018) without weighing as much as a small car.
    The frame was designed and tested for a max 120mm fork. We cannot recommend putting a larger 140mm fork on this frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The frame was designed and tested for a max 120mm fork. We cannot recommend putting a larger 140mm fork on this frame.
    I see. That's a bummer, but it still seems like a kick ass bike otherwise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes I'm pretty sure a large will work fine. In trying to find a frame I did sit on a 19.5 Fuel EX which is my charts. I didn't really feel stretched out even though the reach on it is much longer than my OG Ripley.

I'm posting this incase it helps anyone. All frames are larges, the Fuel is 19.5

Name:	Frames.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	1187495
    Yeah, all DW Link bikes have ridiculously short reaches. I fit a 19.5 Fuel and my large django has a 460-460 reach. I'd be on a DW bike, again, if they fit better with a 120 fork. I'm only 5'10" with 32" pant inseam so it's not like I'm an outlier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, all DW Link bikes have ridiculously short reaches. I fit a 19.5 Fuel and my large django has a 460-460 reach. I'd be on a DW bike, again, if they fit better with a 120 fork. I'm only 5'10" with 32" pant inseam so it's not like I'm an outlier.
    I was really set on a Ripley LS, even found one of the last V2 for sale new in a shop, but this released just before I made payment.

I think the LS would be a great bike for me, but I honestly don't need 140 up front. I was happy with my Tallboy w/120mm front over all just wish it had a little more rear travel. The first Gen TB had a tendency to hang up on roots and rocks while climbing. The Sniper seems like the right 'inbetween' bike, just hope VPP has progressed a lot since my V1 TBc.

I've read a lot of the positive reviews of the Primer, so that's why I'm willing to take a shot on the Sniper.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was really set on a Ripley LS, even found one of the last V2 for sale new in a shop, but this released just before I made payment.

I think the LS would be a great bike for me, but I honestly don't need 140 up front. I was happy with my Tallboy w/120mm front over all just wish it had a little more rear travel. The first Gen TB had a tendency to hang up on roots and rocks while climbing. The Sniper seems like the right 'inbetween' bike, just hope VPP has progressed a lot since my V1 TBc.

I've read a lot of the positive reviews of the Primer, so that's why I'm willing to take a shot on the Sniper.
    I had V1 VPP. What a piece of crap. Turned me off VPP. Then had V2 VPP. It was okay. Have not tried v3 other than quick spin on Tallboy, Bronson and 5010, but I'd never claim they were "real" rides. The JST tuned Primer my cousin has and my nephew demo'd is night and day better. While my cousin doesn't know his head from his arsehole, he said Primer was on par with Yeti's SI and my nephew who is a Cat 1 racer said the Primer was his favorite. He ended up with Pivot due to sponsorship. Anywho, friends know me as anti-vpp mainly because of that POS V1, but the Primer is really good up and down. VPP1 is one of the worst climbing platforms I've ever had; 50K feet per month is my norm on average.

mtbr member

Intense Sniper

Just looking at the numbers the front tire is gonna feel way out there and wheelbase is too long for xc. It's gonna be nice and stable going down but for everything else it might suffer w lack of nimbleness. Increasing the front centre just to accommodate a short stem has its limitation and often combined with shortening the rear centre it gives the feeling of riding a speeder bike.

No need to design an xc bike around a 50mm stem. The front just gonna feel way too long. There's gotta be balance. The fad is now long front centre, short stem, slack head angle and (new) short fork offset to bring it back in. Seems redundant.

Imo the sweet spot for trail xc is with steep seat tube angles > 75deg, slackish 68 deg HA, moderate reach for 70-80mm stems and 51offset with 120 travel forks.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Just looking at the numbers the front tire is gonna feel way out there and wheelbase is too long for xc. It's gonna be nice and stable going down but for everything else it might suffer w lack of nimbleness. Increasing the front centre just to accommodate a short stem has its limitation and often combined with shortening the rear centre it gives the feeling of riding a speeder bike.

No need to design an xc bike around a 50mm stem. The front just gonna feel way too long. There's gotta be balance. The fad is now long front centre, short stem, slack head angle and (new) short fork offset to bring it back in. Seems redundant.

Imo the sweet spot for trail xc is with steep seat tube angles > 75deg, slackish 68 deg HA, moderate reach for 70-80mm stems and 51offset with 120 travel forks.

Looking at the published numbers, it's not all that different than my Yeti ASRc. Reach, wheelbase, etc are all almost the same for a S Sniper and M ASRc.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Looking at the published numbers, it's not all that different than my Yeti ASRc. Reach, wheelbase, etc are all almost the same for a S Sniper and M ASRc.
    No they don't look close at all, check again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

How close do they have to be before you consider them close?

Intense Sniper-asr.jpg
    Ripley LS v3

Formerly of Kent

Reach: 16.6 vs. 16.7".

Wheelbase: 44.4 vs. 44.5".

Or, you can refer to the chart posted by TwoTone below. Or, are you suggesting that the published numbers on their websites are incorrect?

https://yeticycles.s3.amazonaws.com/...anual_ASRc.pdf

https://intensecycles.com/collection...-factory-build

How close do they have to be before you consider them close?

Name:	ASR.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	1187896
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    If you compare the geometry numbers in inches every bike in this category is gonna be close. So there would be no sense in comparing bikes at all, might aswell just pick one and ride right?
    Should be looking at the numbers in millimetres , has to be getting down to nitty gritty as bike geeks we are. That's like saying a 50mm stem is close to 70mm stem. Maybe it is to some, I dunno. I'm just saying if you aren't comparing down to mm diff then no sense comparing geometry at all. I know a chainstay measurement of 450 vs 430 makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you compare the geometry numbers in inches every bike in this category is gonna be close. So there would be no sense in comparing bikes at all, might aswell just pick one and ride right?
    Should be looking at the numbers in millimetres , has to be getting down to nitty gritty as bike geeks we are. That's like saying a 50mm stem is close to 70mm stem. Maybe it is to some, I dunno. I'm just saying if you aren't comparing down to mm diff then no sense comparing geometry at all. I know a chainstay measurement of 450 vs 430 makes a huge difference.

ok so .2 inch is whooping 5 mm
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just demoed a medium Sniper trail in the Pro build today here in Socal. The bike is a freaking rocket ship going up hill and almost as capable as my 2016 Smuggler going down. I haven't ridden a bike with XC weight since probably 2004 and I couldn't believe how easily this thing flew up hill. Super confidence on the downs. No problem making tight switchbacks in both directions. Obviously, you aren't going to be hitting large drops and jumps with this, but the geo will make it capable of some serious trail riding. The stock chainring was a bit much for me at 34T on the eagle so I would probably drop down to a 32T. Keep in mind that I am not in the best shape.

If you are tired of pedaling around a 28-30lb bike in the 120-140 travel range, this thing is the ticket. It's a game changer for me, having xc weight with trail bike geo. I have a feeling that if they haven't already started, a lot of companies will be following suit in this category. If anyone has any questions feel free to post here and I will try to answer.
    Last edited by Bullit21; 03-17-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Trail Ninja
    @Bullit21 Why would you drop the chainring size down? Did you run out of gears?

I expected people would be going up in chainring size for efficiency, considering how light the bike is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit21 View Post
    Just demoed a medium Sniper trail in the Pro build today here in Socal. The bike is a freaking rocket ship going up hill and almost as capable as my 2016 Smuggler going down. I haven't ridden a bike with XC weight since probably 2004 and I couldn't believe how easily this thing flew up hill. Super confidence on the downs. No problem making tight switchbacks in both directions. Obviously, you aren't going to be hitting large drops and jumps with this, but the geo will make it capable of some serious trail riding. The stock chainring was a bit much for me at 34T on the eagle so I would probably drop down to a 32T. Keep in mind that I am not in the best shape.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post here and I will try to answer.
    What's your height and inseam? Even though I changed my order to a Large I keep wondering if I'd be happier on a medium considering the measurements are still longer than the large I ride now.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    @Bullit21 Why would you drop the chainring size down? Did you run out of gears?

I expected people would be going up in chainring size for efficiency, considering how light the bike is.
    Yeah, I'm not in the best shape right now and there were a few climbs where I would have liked an easier gear. Even if I was in good shape, I think there are definitely spots up here in Los Angeles where I would need a 32 (i.e. Cheseboro in Agoura Hills, parts of the Backbone Trail in Santa Monica and Malibu.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    34 x 50 is 19.85 gear inches in the easiest climbing combo.
    32 x 50 is 18.62 . . 6.6% easier.
    30 is 17.5 . . .13.4% easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What's your height and inseam? Even though I changed my order to a Large I keep wondering if I'd be happier on a medium considering the measurements are still longer than the large I ride now.
    I'm 5'9" with freakishly long arms and legs and a short torso (34-35 dress shirt sleeve and 32" pant leg). The medium felt really long to me in the cockpit even with the stock 50mm stem and I had to move the seat forward close to the max on the rails to get it to feel good. Creativefletch can chime in here, but I would not size up on this bike if you are usually between medium and large on most frames. For reference to my size, I have a Large 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon and I had to go to a 35mm stem, run a bunch of spacers under the stem with a 25 degree rise bar and move the seat forward to get it to feel right for an enduro rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 5'9" with freakishly long arms and legs and a short torso (34-35 dress shirt sleeve and 32" pant leg). The medium felt really long to me in the cockpit even with the stock 50mm stem and I had to move the seat forward close to the max on the rails to get it to feel good. Creativefletch can chime in here, but I would not size up on this bike if you are usually between medium and large on most frames. For reference to my size, I have a Large 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon and I had to go to a 35mm stem, run a bunch of spacers under the stem with a 25 degree rise bar and move the seat forward to get it to feel right for an enduro rig.
    That's what worries me. Intense keeps saying large, but I worry that its too big. I'm taller than you but same inseam and a 36 sleeve.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's what worries me. Intense keeps saying large, but I worry that its too big. I'm taller than you but same inseam and a 36 sleeve.
    I have a really short torso, so that could also be why it feels really long to me even though my arms and legs are crazy long. This bike to me feels significantly longer than the medium Tall Boy 3 , the medium Smuggler and the Primer in terms of how stretched out my body position was with the saddle at full pedaling height. Just my two cents. 18.4" seems like a pretty long reach for a large with a relatively slack 73 degree seat tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

If you are tired of pedaling around a 28-30lb bike in the 120-140 travel range, this thing is the ticket. It's a game changer for me, having xc weight with trail bike geo. I have a feeling that if they haven't already started, a lot of companies will be following suit in this category. If anyone has any questions feel free to post here and I will try to answer.
    A few questions.

What do you think the limit is for the trail setup?

Any frame flex?

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    34 x 50 is 19.85 gear inches in the easiest climbing combo.
    32 x 50 is 18.62 . . 6.6% easier.
    30 is 17.5 . . .13.4% easier.
    36x50 is about the same gear as 30x42. Both get you to about 5 MPH (5.0 and 4.9 MPH respectively) if you spin @ 80 MPH. The bike's likely much lighter than whatever you thought XX1-11spd was sufficient on.

Spinning @ 80 RPM with 36x10 gets you much higher top end 24.8 vs 20.7 MPH. Also the bigger chainring keeps you in the more efficient bigger cogs and reduces the negative effects of anti-squat, such as pedal kickback.

Source for #s: Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

Yeah, I'm not in the best shape right now and there were a few climbs where I would have liked an easier gear. Even if I was in good shape, I think there are definitely spots up here in Los Angeles where I would need a 32 (i.e. Cheseboro in Agoura Hills, parts of the Backbone Trail in Santa Monica and Malibu.
    Took a look at Strava and see there really are people who average less than 3.5 MPH up these cat 4 climbs. The difference between a 32 and 34T chainring @ 60 RPM, is 3.3 MPH and 3.5 MPH in the granny gear (2.3 to 2.2 MPH @ 40 RPM, going from 34t to 32t).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    A few questions.

What do you think the limit is for the trail setup?

Any frame flex?

I didn't notice any frame flex and I am 195 lbs and ripped this thing down some buff but semi technical single track.

As far as the limits, it's certainly more capable on the downs than say a trek top fuel, specialized epic, scott spark, etc. but less so than let's say an Evil Following, Transition Smuggler, Devinci Django if you were really pushing those bikes. In other words, if you are looking for a real smasher from Intense, I would at least step up to the Primer. I wouldn't be hitting anything super gnarly with the Sniper, especially if you are my size.

That's the beauty of this bike though. You can justify having this and an enduro bike because there is real separation in terms of weight and intended use. And the bonus with this bike is that you can ride a 30 mile epic, feel almost as confident on the downs as let's say my 29 lb 2016 Smuggler but not feel like your legs are going to fall off at the end of the ride. It's probably the pure trail bike most of us have been waiting for to add to our big bike. The sweet thing too is that if you ride with XC types on some of your rides, the Sniper will allow you to keep up.

Bottom line: If you are a guy that can only have one bike, want it to be shorter travel and you like to really smash, this isn't your ride. On the other hand, there isn't a better bike out there to pair with an Enduro or heavy AM bike than this one if you are looking to stay on the trail side of things for some of your riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I didn't notice any frame flex and I am 195 lbs and ripped this thing down some buff but semi technical single track.

As far as the limits, it's certainly more capable on the downs than say a trek top fuel, specialized epic, scott spark, etc. but less so than let's say an Evil Following, Transition Smuggler, Devinci Django if you were really pushing those bikes. In other words, if you are looking for a real smasher from Intense, I would at least step up to the Primer. I wouldn't be hitting anything super gnarly with the Sniper, especially if you are my size.

That's the beauty of this bike though. You can justify having this and an enduro bike because there is real separation in terms of weight and intended use. And the bonus with this bike is that you can ride a 30 mile epic, feel almost as confident on the downs as let's say my 29 lb 2016 Smuggler but not feel like your legs are going to fall off at the end of the ride. It's probably the pure trail bike most of us have been waiting for to add to our big bike. The sweet thing too is that if you ride with XC types on some of your rides, the Sniper will allow you to keep up.

Bottom line: If you are a guy that can only have one bike, want it to be shorter travel and you like to really smash, this isn't your ride. On the other hand, there isn't a better bike out there to pair with an Enduro or heavy AM bike than this one if you are looking to stay on the trail side of things for some of your riding.
    150 lb here. As I get older I am staying in the ground mostly. Rides are single-track oriented with roots and rock gardens... I would say heavy XC. It's east costs stuff and drops are under 2 feet and rare. Thoughts on that? Oh and maybe out 130mm on front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    150 lb here. As I get older I am staying in the ground mostly. Rides are single-track oriented with roots and rock gardens... I would say heavy XC. It's east costs stuff and drops are under 2 feet and rare. Thoughts on that? Oh and maybe out 130mm on front?

The Sniper is perfect for what you are describing, especially at your weight. I'm pretty sure Creativefletch said in this thread though that the bike is designed for a max 120mm fork. The fox 34 felt really good at 120mm to me, so I think you will be happy with it for what you are looking to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Intense has said a 130 fork rider is better off on a Primer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A 120 Manitou Mattoc Pro IRT could be tuned to give you the most out of the travel.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    A 120 Manitou Mattoc Pro IRT could be tuned to give you the most out of the travel.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/
    Is the axle to crown or weight a big reason the fork isn't a front runner?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Looks like axle to crown is the same as Fox 34 in a 120mm configuration

mtbr member
    ok so .2 inch is whooping 5 mm
    Sorry I didn't realize the comparison was between a small vs medium frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It does weigh more for more performance. It's a trail bike option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The new Sniper has sparked my interest. I had my sights set on a Pivot 429 Trail, but this has me second guessing myself!

As I was looking into the complete bikes, I noticed you can only get them with a SRAM build. Will Intense ever offer a Shimano build?

I am a Shimano guy, kind of like the Ford / Chevy discussion, I just like the feel of Shimano and wouldnít buy a new bike with SRAM.

Just curious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    After reading a few comments on PB about the long seat tube (not standover) I measured my current large frames (I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam and run a 125mm dropper). Whoa, the Sniper's 488mm seat tube may not work for my current dropper which is obviously leaning toward XC drop. The large django with my dropper in question has 470 ST length. There may be 20mm of insertion left. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    After reading a few comments on PB about the long seat tube (not standover) I measured my current large frames (I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam and run a 125mm dropper). Whoa, the Sniper's 488mm seat tube may not work for my current dropper which is obviously leaning toward XC drop. The large django with my dropper in question has 470 ST length. There may be 20mm of insertion left. Fingers crossed.
    What droppers are you running? I have a FOX 125mm which I believe is on the longer side and it works with a 19'' seat tube with room to spare.
    Here's mine on my OG Ripley with a 19'' seat tube.

Intense Sniper-dropper.jpg
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I measured my current and I will be able to use same 125 dropper on this frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What droppers are you running? I have a FOX 125mm which I believe is on the longer side and it works with a 19'' seat tube with room to spare.
    Here's mine on my OG Ripley with a 19'' seat tube.

Name:	dropper.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	1188358
    I have Fox 125 and Brand X which was $90 last week but back up to $135 today. My insertion depth looks about like yours, but obviously just 1mm can make or break a post/frame. The Sniper wasn't designed for a mega long post since it's a XC bike at heart, but I'm guessing the tall seat tube would be a deal breaker for those with long femurs or body measurements who ride a "trail-esque" dropper length.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have Fox 125 and Brand X which was $90 last week but back up to $135 today. My insertion depth looks about like yours, but obviously just 1mm can make or break a post/frame. The Sniper wasn't designed for a mega long post since it's a XC bike at heart, but I'm guessing the tall seat tube would be a deal breaker for those with long femurs or body measurements who ride a "trail-esque" dropper length.
    Yea not really the bike for those that insist on 150mm of drop at a min.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmossbarger View Post
    The new Sniper has sparked my interest. I had my sights set on a Pivot 429 Trail, but this has me second guessing myself!

As I was looking into the complete bikes, I noticed you can only get them with a SRAM build. Will Intense ever offer a Shimano build?

I am a Shimano guy, kind of like the Ford / Chevy discussion, I just like the feel of Shimano and wouldnít buy a new bike with SRAM.

Just curious.
    They're rider direct so ask them. . . .or ask if you could supply your drive. Who knows.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just an FYI for anyone that may be in between a medium and large and indecisive like me, I reached out to RC on pinkbike since he's ridden one and based on my measurements he agree that a large would be better. He rode a medium for his first impression.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not being able to fit a 150 dropper kinda disqualifies this bike for me unfortunately. I like the extra room.

mtbr member
    Just an FYI for anyone that may be in between a medium and large and indecisive like me, I reached out to RC on pinkbike since he's ridden one and based on my measurements he agree that a large would be better. He rode a medium for his first impression.
    Thanks. How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks. How tall are you?
    I'm 5'11'' 32 '' inseam and 36'' dress shirt sleeve. RC is the same inseam but shorter in height and arms.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Not happy that the frames only are not available until end of June. Cited production issues. Seems to me they would have a few available at least. I can't justify the +$3k over the frame cost for the Trail Pro build. The parts just aren't worth it. Definitely can't be resold for that value.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not happy that the frames only are not available until end of June. Cited production issues. Seems to me they would have a few available at least. I can't justify the +$3k over the frame cost for the Trail Pro build. The parts just aren't worth it. Definitely can't be resold for that value.

Just think how disappointed you will be when their estimated JULY shipment is not on time. May as well wait for Black Friday sales on other frame options or whatever is going to be the next big thing after Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Honestly it's a new release, what did you expect? Hell when I order my Mojo 3 those weren't exactly new and it took months and finally had to change from red to black if I didn't want to keep waiting. To me it's worth the wait to get what I want, this frame ticks all the boxes for me for a bike for our area except for the BB.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just think how disappointed you will be when their estimated JULY shipment is not on time. May as well wait for Black Friday sales on other frame options or whatever is going to be the next big thing after Sea Otter.
    Having never owned an Intense before, what is their delivery history on new releases?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Who knows maybe they come a little earlier? Could be a case of under promise and over deliver.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Honestly it's a new release, what did you expect? Hell when I order my Mojo 3 those weren't exactly new and it took months and finally had to change from red to black if I didn't want to keep waiting. To me it's worth the wait to get what I want, this frame ticks all the boxes for me for a bike for our area except for the BB.
    Yeah I haven't had any issues with new releases in the past. But I also ride a small which generally are not in demand as much as mediums and larges. In the case of Intense, they have full builds so they obviously have frames. They just won't sell them that way. I know there are a few other well known companies that don't deliver frames and bikes when released. But it sure would be nice to have supply ready when they do. Just frustrating and definitely opens the door for more bad than good.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11'' 32 '' inseam and 36'' dress shirt sleeve. RC is the same inseam but shorter in height and arms.
    Hmm. 5'10" with 34/35 shirt. Have to check inseam. I may be leaning toward medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah I haven't had any issues with new releases in the past. But I also ride a small which generally are not in demand as much as mediums and larges. In the case of Intense, they have full builds so they obviously have frames. They just won't sell them that way. I know there are a few other well known companies that don't deliver frames and bikes when released. But it sure would be nice to have supply ready when they do. Just frustrating and definitely opens the door for more bad than good.

I guess I just see the reality of it. Molds are not cheap and full builds are more profitable. Santa Cruz does the same thing as you mentioned.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hmm. 5'10" with 34/35 shirt. Have to check inseam. I may be leaning toward medium.
    I'm 5'10". The medium reach is 445 which is way too short for me. Sniper designed around stem 40 to 50mm. I run 50 and 60mm on django with reach 460 to 464 depending on flip chip. Large sniper reach 468 is 50mm stem for me.

Formerly of Kent
    https://instagram.com/p/Bgg1ILxjpsb/

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So apparently Intense wasn't the only one going this route- Santa Cruz re-released the Blur. Wonder if you get more trail out of it.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-...ke-review.html
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Who knows maybe they come a little earlier? Could be a case of under promise and over deliver.
    This is exactly the case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This is exactly the case.
    Excellent from a business perspective, but for impulsive buyers it may not be. Planning race season and big summer adventures around timing may have shoppers going with another option. Of course the Sniper will sell to the next guy/gal in line.
    I'd buy a large 120mm NM frame today, maybe wait til end of April. Impatience is fine virtue....said no one ever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just FYI, we put an estimated ship date of 3/26 for the Sniper XC and Trail builds, those have just arrived and are being assembled as I type. So they are now in stock and ready to ship.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just FYI, we put an estimated ship date of 3/26 for the Sniper XC and Trail builds, those have just arrived and are being assembled as I type. So they are now in stock and ready to ship.
    Walk into the warehouse, strip off several large NM frames, put those for sale on the site, voila!

chasing simplicity
    That looks good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Walk into the warehouse, strip off several large NM frames, put those for sale on the site, voila!
    Yeah include a small too

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Im 5'9" with a 34/35 shirt and 32" pant inseam. I would definitely go medium. The medium reach felt really long to me (but in a good way) even with the stock 50mm stem and moving the seat pretty far forward on the rails. Remember, this isn't a super steep seat angle so that is going to make the reach feel longer than something with a 75/76 degree seat angle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Crunching numbers it looks like the seat tube length might not be that bad. I should be able to fit a 150 dropper in there with no room to spare.

The reach is long for me so I'll have to move the seat up too. The BB is a little low, I'm not sure if that will be an issue but nothing a bash guard cant fix.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    For those wondering about seat tube length. The Primer has a longer seat tube length than the Sniper, I have a 30" pant inseam and run a medium Primer with a 150mm fox transfer dropper. I only have about 5mm of the seat post exposed. Admittedly, the Primer seat tube length is about 10-15mm too long.

On the Sniper I'm running a 125mm Reverb stealth with about 2" or 50mm of seat post exposed. So running a 150mm dropper post would not be an issue for my size on this bike. I can get some more exact measurements tomorrow on my seat tube height from the collar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What's the max insert for a medium? Is it bored out so any dropper can be slammed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wonder how stiff this frame is. It definitely light. The new Blur, despite being light, has been said to be very stiff. That's a difficult combo to have isn't it?

Formerly of Kent
    I wonder how stiff this frame is. It definitely light. The new Blur, despite being light, has been said to be very stiff. That's a difficult combo to have isn't it?

Itís a function of design + carbon lay up schedule.

The Scott Spark is very light, and very stiff. I believe the Sniper and Spark are made on the same factory, so take that for what itís worth.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pretty excited to check this bike out! Keep the info coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    wishing this sniper came out before i bought the primer last month. might have been the perfect bike for me. anyone wants to buy a like new primer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What's the max insert for a medium? Is it bored out so any dropper can be slammed?

Max insertion is 246mm (this includes S,M,L,XL sizes). Many 150mm dropper posts will work but actual length varies by dropper post manufacturer so you will want to check that it does not exceed 246mm if you're going to run the post slammed to the collar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Max insertion is 246mm (this includes S,M,L,XL sizes). Many 150mm dropper posts will work but actual length varies by dropper post manufacturer so you will want to check that it does not exceed 246mm if you're going to run the post slammed to the collar.
    An internal routed Fox 150mm Transfer has a 245mm body, but there is the 28mm mechanism at the bottom, is there room for that lever mech below the max insertion?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    An internal routed Fox 150mm Transfer has a 245mm body, but there is the 28mm mechanism at the bottom, is there room for that lever mech below the max insertion?
    On a medium frame and larger the mechanism on the bottom will be fine. We would have to test it on a Small just because the tube starts bending and would want to verify clearance.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to come up with the best way to estimate the saddle to bar reach. Comparing to my two current bikes (Jet 9 numbers are w/ 120mm fork) I've looked at it two different ways, :

1. Reach + stem length
    2. Top Tube + stem length (surrogate for saddle to bar)

Method 1 indicates a Medium Sniper is the correct size
    Method 2 indicates a Large Sniper is the correct size

I'd like to avoid slamming the saddle forward/backward to make the frame fit. I want a good position over the pedals. Any thoughts on the two ways I'm looking at it?

@creativefletch - any way you could measure saddle nose to handlebar center with saddle centered on its rails for Sniper M and L frames?

Intense Sniper-geometry.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm trying to come up with the best way to estimate the saddle to bar reach. Comparing to my two current bikes (Jet 9 numbers are w/ 120mm fork) I've looked at it two different ways, :

1. Reach + stem length

I'd like to avoid slamming the saddle forward/backward to make the frame fit. I want a good position over the pedals. Any thoughts on the two ways I'm looking at it?

@creativefletch - any way you could measure saddle nose to handlebar center with saddle centered on its rails for Sniper M and L frames?

Name:	Geometry.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1188802
    Position over pedals has a lot to do with your leg dimensions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

1. Reach + stem length

Name:	Geometry.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1188802
    Just measured my Medium Sniper, it has a 55mm Enve stem. 19" from tip of saddle to middle of handlebar.

There was a Large Sniper Pro build, which has a 50mm Stem. 21.5" from tip of saddle to middle of handlebar.

Both Saddles were mounted in very close position on the rails with about 5-7MM bias forward.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just measured my Medium Sniper, it has a 55mm Enve stem. 19" from tip of saddle to middle of handlebar.

There was a Large Sniper Pro build, which has a 50mm Stem. 21.5" from tip of saddle to middle of handlebar.

Both Saddles were mounted in very close position on the rails with about 5-7MM bias forward.
    Interesting, confirms a large is right for me. My OG Ripley with saddle slammed all the way back and 70mm stem is 20.25'' from saddle tip to center of handle bars.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member

Awesome. Thank you for checking! Now I'll have to double check mine when I get home.

*Edit* Both of my medium bikes set up for 21.5" from tip of saddle to middle of bar. So that puts me right at a large based on the Sniper Pro measurement above. Again, and as a reference to those on the margin, I'm 5'10 w/ 31-ish inseam.
    Last edited by G-Choro; 03-21-2018 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Do you think your power output would benefit from riding the Sniper with less saddle setback than your current bike? From my perspective, less setback on a long bike like the Sniper would improve my climbing position and would improve my weight distribution on the bike which would improve cornering.

Engineer The Future Now!
    Eagerly anticipating my Graphite/UD Trail Pro in Large

CF, any chance you have some more pics of this color scheme you can share? Sweet looking bike but it's hard for me to tell if the grey is lighter or darker since the website glamour shots make it look darker and the daylight photos make it look lighter, almost like silver. Guessing it's the same color as the frame only option even though that is listed as "grey" vs"graphite" in the complete build?
    holy...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ver-T View Post
    Eagerly anticipating my Graphite/UD Trail Pro in Large

CF, any chance you have some more pics of this color scheme you can share? Sweet looking bike but it's hard for me to tell if the grey is lighter or darker since the website glamour shots make it look darker and the daylight photos make it look lighter, almost like silver. Guessing it's the same color as the frame only option even though that is listed as "grey" vs"graphite" in the complete build?
    Just snapped a couple pics for you on my phone. It is not a silver, it's darker more of a gunmetal grey, but it has a pearl flake in it so when in the sun it has some shine and dimension to it.

Intense Sniper-img_8475.jpgIntense Sniper-img_8474.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just snapped a couple pics for you on my phone. It is not a silver, it's darker more of a gunmetal grey, but it has a pearl flake in it so when in the sun it has some shine and dimension to it.

Name:	IMG_8475.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	1188983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8474.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	1188984
    Now you just need to get a large frame over to Invisiframe so I can have a kit in time for my frame
    Ripley LS v3

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast