Intense Sniper - Page 15- Mtbr.com
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 1,401 to 1,448 of 1448

Thread: Intense Sniper

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by brex17 View Post
    Finally got our Sniper all built up. I got the frame a month and a half or so ago, but was waiting on the suspension pieces (NICA deal, had to wait a bit) and some other bits through NICA deals. This is my son's race bike for the next two years, I just decided to go big because...well...just because I guess. The frame was purchased with the 100mm (40mm stroke) shock, but I did get the 45mm stroke shock so it is now a trail frame. Incidentally, the 45mm stroke shock is 3 grams lighter than the 40mm stroke shock the frame came with. Anyway, on to the specs. This is listed in a similar manner to how Intense has on their site:
    FRAME Medium Sniper SL
    FORK FOX Factory 34 SC
    SHOCK FOX Factory DPS
    WHEELSET
    HUBS DT Swiss 240s Centerlock 28/28
    RIMS Light Bicycle XC925
    SPOKES Sapim CX Ray
    TIRES Maxxis 29x2.35 Ardent Race 3C/EXO/TR / Maxxis 29x2.20 Ikon
    3C/EXO/TR
    DRIVETRAIN
    SHIFTERS Shimano 9100 XTR 12speed
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 9100 XTR 12speed
    CRANK Sram XX1 DUB 170mm, 30T Absolute Black oval
    CASSETTE Shimano 9100 XTR 12speed
    CHAIN Shimano 9100 XTR 12speed w/ Sram Eagle quick link
    BOTTOM BRACKET Sram DUB BB92
    COMPONENTS
    SADDLE Specialized S-Works Phenom
    SEATPOST Kindshock Carbon LEV Ci, 125 mm Dropper
    HANDLEBAR ENVE M5 Carbon
    STEM ENVE 40mm
    HEADSET Cane Creek AER Integrated Headset, Aluminum Bearing Series,
    IS41-IS52/40
    BRAKESET Shimano XTR Centerlock, 160mm / 160mm
    GRIPS Lizard Skins DSP
    BIKE WEIGHT 21.35 lbs / 9.68 kg

It's more or less a "Factory" trail build, if the factory build were XTR rather than XX1.
    That weight is without pedals, bottle cage or sealant. Once those were added it is 21.9 lbs., pretty much where I expected it to be ready to roll. My son is just shy of 100lbs., has one shakedown ride on it and is very excited to start his season.
    Awesome build, and great looking bike!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks. I'd ride it, but I am double his weight. So I will just be excited by his excitement and feedback while I ride my Stumpy. Keeping an eye on the new Primer rumors, maybe it will be what I go with for myself next.

mtbr member
    Sniper landed this afternoon. Quick setup and ready for a shakedown tomorrow.

I'll probably swap to a flat bar and would rather run an XT drivetrain. We'll see if I get used to the pushy-pushy sram shifter.

@creativefletch: it was a total delighter moment to discover two bottle cage mounts inside the triangle. Tip of the hat to your PM for making that change. (Now I need to get some side-loaders...)

Wesley Siper
    Wesley Sniper dual bottles
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

Formerly of Kent
    I assume thatís a L or XL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I assume thatís a L or XL?

It's a large.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    It's a large.
    Cool.

When I took a medium for a demo, I didnít recall there being two cages inside the triangle. Was going that might be an update. Oh well.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Cool.

When I took a medium for a demo, I didnít recall there being two cages inside the triangle. Was going that might be an update. Oh well.

I was pretty surprised to see it. I had heard Intense added a second bottle mount under the DT, which is pretty bad (but better than none) so seeing two on the DT Yeti FRO style made my day.

Sneaker man
    SO does anyone know the actual details on the 2nd bottle? Obviously on the large (if you get a frame with them), but medium? even under DT, not great, but better than not... 2 bottles would be great.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    2 bottle mounts! That was the only thing missing on mine to make it a perfect endurance bike.
    Does anyone know the size of the bolt on the rear axle?? Mine is missing, I have no idea if it backed out or was just misplaced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    My medium SL frame has a second bottle mount on the outside bottom of the downtube.

mtbr member
    Man, Third real ride and it felt a little noodley and shifting was inconsistent mid ride. Got home and found out I have become a member of the lost derailleur hanger nut club. Using red locktite next time. Also, impossible to find a replacement nut of any kind anywhere (been to all different kinds of bike shops and hardware stores all morning). Bummed as I have a series race starting on Tuesday and no way I can ride it like this. Intense needs to put some locktite as standard or use a locknut on this part as you only ever need to take it off if you mess up the hanger.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

.:grupettolife.com: mtbrealtors.com:.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Another afected by losing rear derailleur hanger nut. IMO it is unveliebable that it cames without any locktite or similar.
    So now, imposible to find same dimension thread nut (I tried at shop bikes and industrial stores), hanger deraullier is not in stock at Intense webpage (email for availability). Trying to contact by phone to European dealer (Iīm from Spain) to ask for it and there was no answer.
    7.000 Ä bike impossible riding because of a 3Ä nut special size, ridiculous!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    See if north shore billet makes one.

I always order an extra hanger and go thru a new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    This is the bolt that hold the derailleur to the hanger or the hanger to the frame? I still have mine so Iíd like to Loctite it while I can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ExRacer View Post
    This is the bolt that hold the derailleur to the hanger or the hanger to the frame? I still have mine so Iíd like to Loctite it while I can.
    The hanger to the frame

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Is this typical for most bikes or manufacturers? If not, does Intense have a position on the issue and/or any recommendations on how to remedy the problem?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Looking to make sure we are all talking about the same bolt.

There should be a nut here on the axle. Edited, thanks FactoryMatt. It is ride able, but the shifting is not good under load at all. You can actually pull the rear triangle and it moves over the threads. Super flex.

Intense Sniper-derhang.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    You mean a nut? Its pribably a failsafe. Bike is likely still rideable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    My hangar came with some of the blue loctite goo on it, but I still added some to it.
    I am still going to contact Intense to get a couple spares.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    I bet the shifting is all fubar on that. There's nothing to hold the hanger tight to the frame without that nut. The hanger is not on the outside of the frame like most thru designs, so it's not pulled tight to the frame by the axle. I bet you can flex that drive side stay away from the hanger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    In my opinion it is not rideable like that, I notice Iíve lost it because of the huge lateral flex when pedaling coming back home after a ride, the rear wheel almost brush against the rear triangle.
    If you pull out the rear triangle it allows a lot of flex, you can open the axle, and the rear derauilleur doesnít work properly.

mtbr member
    I had to use a plastic plumbing fixture. 3/4" plastic fitting and threaded it with the hanger threads itself...LOL. It's working though.

The bike is not very rideable without that nut in place.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

.:grupettolife.com: mtbrealtors.com:.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    You guys saved me a from a big headache! I looked at that nut this AM and it was a few turns away from falling off and I could easily thread it off with 2 fingers. I put some Loctite blue on it and tightened it up.

As I remember during assembly, this nut was already in place meaning its not something we tightened when we assembled the bike. When I put the bike together I assumed this nut was bonded to the frame and was there to catch the thru axle. This isn't the case. The derailleur hanger bolt is hollow with internal threads and the thru axle threads into the inner diameter of the derailleur hanger bolt. The hanger bolt is a little longer than the axle and protrudes through the rear triangle. This nut essentially secures the drive side rear triangle to the axle/hub/derailleur assembly. Without it, the rear triangle can move laterally at the axle. It probably wouldn't come off the axle, there's about a half inch of bolt there, but I can see how it would spoil rigidity.

I think this is a major piece of the rear flex issue some are having. A potential sequence looks like this...the hanger bolt loosens up over time and allows lateral play at the rear axle. This puts a twisting load on the bearings that hold the rear triangle at the upper and lower links. The lower link is pretty robust but as some have mentioned, there is no bridge between the drive and non-drive seat stays before the upper link so all of the twisting load is taken at the upper link clevis/bearing area and the bearings eventually fail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ordered a couple of the nuts today, $6 each, also another hanger while at it .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_averias View Post
    Another afected by losing rear derailleur hanger nut. IMO it is unveliebable that it cames without any locktite or similar.
    So now, imposible to find same dimension thread nut (I tried at shop bikes and industrial stores), hanger deraullier is not in stock at Intense webpage (email for availability). Trying to contact by phone to European dealer (Iīm from Spain) to ask for it and there was no answer.
    7.000 Ä bike impossible riding because of a 3Ä nut special size, ridiculous!!
    Call Intense directly in the US. I know the new CEO and they are VERY focused on customer satisfaction. I'm sure they will get it sorted for you ASAP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Call Intense directly in the US. I know the new CEO and they are VERY focused on customer satisfaction. I'm sure they will get it sorted for you ASAP.
    Thanks, I already got an answer from Intense Europe, they told me that the nut and hanger where in stock, so I hope to be able to ride this weekend.

Overall the bike is comfortable for long distance and you get a lot of fun riding it, but this small issues are anoying

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_averias View Post
    Thanks, I already got an answer from Intense Europe, they told me that the nut and hanger where in stock, so I hope to be able to ride this weekend.

Overall the bike is comfortable for long distance and you get a lot of fun riding it, but this small issues are anoying

I've confirmed with our Product manager that they have begun adding Nyloc to the threads during assembly on this.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Can someone please identify the nut in question. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJO View Post
    Can someone please identify the nut in question. Thank you.
    Look a few posts above good picture showing the threads where the NUT would go....

mtbr member
    Any updates from Intense regarding a possible mod for the linkage issue?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    I've confirmed with our Product manager that they have begun adding Nyloc to the threads during assembly on this.
    Man I hope so! I had the exact issue last June and reported it. I spent 3 hours driving to pick up a nut from your HQ. I had to do it or miss a race. No apologies or anything. Couldíve saved a lot of headaches had someone simply investigated last summer. Glad to hear itís addresses now. Love my sniper!

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

63800 bearing

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The first thing I did to my Sniper when I noticed the loose bearings in the link, was to replace the 5mm thick 6800 bearing with a 7mm thick 63800. The outboard 2mm alloy spacer was replaced with a 0.2mm steel shim. I have used it like this for a year now, and it makes a big difference. The new bearing is so thick that it can't easilly twist in the link (I mounted the bearings with loctite in the original link, the new replacement link is still unused in a box), and being a deep grove bearing it made the rear end stiffer, especially before I made my stiffness mod.
    7mm 63800 bearing and 0.2mm steel shim vs original 5mm 6800 and 2.5mm alu spacer. The wide deep groove bearing is stiffer and also won't twist in the carbon link. Should probably get a 0.5mm steel shim, but it has worked flawlessly for a year now.

Intense Sniper-20190521_161635.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Any word from that same product manager on a fix for the loose bearing/flex issues at the upper link-seat stay junction?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hi every one I do not own a sniper but would like to in the future. I would probably get a trail version frame and build it up.

I am a little bit concerned about flex also given that I am around the 185 to 190 pound mark.

It's great that Ole came up with a solution by using a different size bearing. Has any one tried using max complement bearings? Basically they have twice the amount of balls and resist torsional loads better due to greater surface area. They are also supposed to be well suited to suspension pivots. Just don't use them in a hub or bottom bracket area. They are suited to low speed without full rotation.

I understand that enduro make them and I managed to google a couple of other suppliers. One was located in the UK and the other was in Germany and yes they sell the sizes required at least the German site does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance72 View Post
    Hi every one I do not own a sniper but would like to in the future. I would probably get a trail version frame and build it up.

I am a little bit concerned about flex also given that I am around the 185 to 190 pound mark.

It's great that Ole came up with a solution by using a different size bearing. Has any one tried using max complement bearings? Basically they have twice the amount of balls and resist torsional loads better due to greater surface area. They are also supposed to be well suited to suspension pivots. Just don't use them in a hub or bottom bracket area. They are suited to low speed without full rotation.

I understand that enduro make them and I managed to google a couple of other suppliers. One was located in the UK and the other was in Germany and yes they sell the sizes required at least the German site does.

I imagine this wouldn't hurt, assuming the dimensions are correct. However, it would probably only address the issue with flex of the bearing itself (inner vs. outer race). It might not do much for the fact that the bearings actually twist within the upper link under load. Intense's solution to this is to epoxy the bearings into the link. Ole's solution is a nice one in that the bearings are wider so less prone to twist, but still seems like a bit of a band aid that would allow some lateral play of the stays.

The thru-axle is actually a great solution, I just wish Intense would create one made for the bike.

FWIW I'm ~190lbs and I like my Sniper a lot. Definitely excellent bang-for-buck, it's about the lightest thing in its class and also quite a bargain. If Intense presents a fix for the flex issue I'll be a happy camper for seasons to come on the Sniper.

mtbr member
    I have an opportunity to buy a second hand sniper frame and am a little worried about the lack of warranty if I see an issue with the upper link in the future. The frame is only a few months old now so I'm sure it's ok, but I'm thinking if I pulled the trigger, doing both the wider bearings and the spacer might be a worthwhile thing to do.

Buying new would be ideal, but it's hard to resist a frame that's only a few months old for nearly 50% off retail

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a second hand sniper frame and am a little worried about the lack of warranty if I see an issue with the upper link in the future. The frame is only a few months old now so I'm sure it's ok, but I'm thinking if I pulled the trigger, doing both the wider bearings and the spacer might be a worthwhile thing to do.

Buying new would be ideal, but it's hard to resist a frame that's only a few months old for nearly 50% off retail
    If you're saving that much, even if you had to buy a new link- you're still ahead.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    If you're saving that much, even if you had to buy a new link- you're still ahead.
    This.

The link is a very small part of the total cost.

Death from Below.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance72 View Post
    Has any one tried using max complement bearings? Basically they have twice the amount of balls and resist torsional loads better due to greater surface area. They are also supposed to be well suited to suspension pivots. Just don't use them in a hub or bottom bracket area. They are suited to low speed without full rotation.
    The bearings already are Enduro Max, I don't think Intense has used anything else for 20 years. Except for the angular contact bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The bearings already are Enduro Max, I don't think Intense has used anything else for 20 years. Except for the angular contact bearings.
    Pretty sure the upper link bearings are not Max. The ones on my Recluse have a regular race whilst the Max are black carbide.

Also I would check those bearings on a new bike immediately two of mine were seized and one was still like new. I pulled the seal off it and there was next to no grease in it. I would pull the seal off all four and grease them before first ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Also go look at the kits on the Intense site clearly not the same.
    And why would you buy the kit off the site?
    It's $25 for the upper and $45 for the lower plus shipping.

Where the Enduro are the better bearings and cost $55 for top and bottom.

To quote Planet Terror "it's a no brainier".

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Pretty sure the upper link bearings are not Max. The ones on my Recluse have a regular race whilst the Max are black carbide.

Also I would check those bearings on a new bike immediately two of mine were seized and one was still like new. I pulled the seal off it and there was next to no grease in it. I would pull the seal off all four and grease them before first ride.
    I think you are confusing Max and the surface treatment Black Oxide. Max has been around for a long, long time, and the BO treatment is relatively new.

https://www.endurobearings.com/products/bearings/max/

Ole.

Formerly of Kent
    Better yet:

Use NTN or similar quality bearings.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I think you are confusing Max and the surface treatment Black Oxide. Max has been around for a long, long time, and the BO treatment is relatively new.

https://www.endurobearings.com/products/bearings/max/

Ole.
    Ok so my bike being a couple years old has the old version.

Everything else stands check the grease and buy the new improved bo for less money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Better yet:

Use NTN or similar quality bearings.

Ease of ordering all I have to do is find the ones for my bike and hit pay. If you have a link to the bearings that fit and are higher quality I'll check it out.

What I'm not going to do is learn all there is to know about bearings just so I can order them for my bike.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Ease of ordering all I have to do is find the ones for my bike and hit pay. If you have a link to the bearings that fit and are higher quality I'll check it out.

What I'm not going to do is learn all there is to know about bearings just so I can order them for my bike.
    If youíre going to complain about Enduroís QC, then not buy an NTN of the exact same size of Amazon because itís too hard, I canít help you.

Seriously. You have to look at the seals on the bearing and type that into a search function on Amazon, with ďNTNĒ before or after it. Come on.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My last post on this those ntn are quite a bit more expensive and there are knockoffs to be aware of.

Honestly I'll just run the Enduro remove the seals grease them up and check them once a week.

Maybe we should have a intense bearing thread somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hi Ole

Good to know regarding the bearings. I like your mod to the upper link and hopefully Intense can put something similar out. It seems like the primer uses some kind of axle and or bolt in its upper link. Hopefully we can get a factory approved mod soon.

Not sure I could come up with something like you did.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415