Intense Sniper - Page 12- Mtbr.com
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,400 of 2409

Thread: Intense Sniper

mtbr member
    May 2012
    DB,

Is the stiffness of the Sniper T noticeable compared to the original Sniper Trail WITH the cross brace, or are they comparable?

mtbr member
    I feel the T is noticeably stiffer than the XC+brace, though there are so many variables (wheel/tire choice, suspension setup, trail condition and ride intent etc) that it's hard to make a definitive call. Placebo effect is real, so maybe it's just my belief.

I will say that based on the super-non-scientific test of grabbing the rear wheel and railing it back and forth while observing flex at seat stays, the T is a bit stiffer. Scale of 1-10, I'd say original XC is a 2, XC+brace is a 7, T is a 9 and comparable to my Ripmo.

The Sniper T has a different layup, and this is particularly noticeable in the rear triangle. On the T, the gap below the tabs that connect to the top link is filled in. On the XC, those tabs can flex noticeably relative to each other, but that flex is gone in the T.

I'm 6'3"/190 and ride a lot of pretty techy and steep trails, so entirely possible the difference is irrelevant to other riders. I always felt like the XC kind of shuddered when landing drops or pushing hard through rough turns, like the frame would torque up then spring back. None of that feeling on the T.

I think the T is a great XC race and general downcountry bike for someone my size. Realistically a bike designed to be as light as possible for a 150lb WC racer is always going to a compromise for us larger guys. More than happy to have an extra pound of frame weight in exchange for much better stiffness and durability. Your view of this tradeoff may be different!

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Padrefan, nice write-up. Just curious, which axle did you snap? I’ve had more than my share of issues with the Sniper linkage but never did an axle.
    DB--It was the pivot axle right above the BB--which is part #7 on the exploded diagram (the "Axle Upper", I believe). I have a feeling that it just wasn't tightened to spec... one of those things I should have checked, and didn't on the rush to build up.

I was also able to hit the 'steepest' element on the semi-legal local trails and the Sniper wasn't the issue at all. Super excited to get it up to Tiger Mountain and Raging River.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Congrats! Grab one of these: https://intensecycles.com/collection...er-cross-brace

and enjoy your new ripper of a bike.

Info for European customers:
    I am in third warranty replacement of upper link, so I asked to European Technical Service for the cross brace.
    The answer is that cross brace is not available in Europe, so I have to order it directly to Intense USA (they told me the email address).
    I contacted by email, Intese´s service confirmed me that I have to purchase it (42$, including the shipment) and they are going to sent it from Taiwan to Spain.
    So, when it arrived to Spain, as the shipment comes from Taiwan, I have to pay duty taxes for Europe´s imports, which is 27€ (30$ extra).

Very good customer service Intense Cycles (Ironic mode ON).

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_averias View Post
    Info for European customers:
    I am in third warranty replacement of upper link, so I asked to European Technical Service for the cross brace.
    The answer is that cross brace is not available in Europe, so I have to order it directly to Intense USA (they told me the email address).
    I contacted by email, Intese´s service confirmed me that I have to purchase it (42$, including the shipment) and they are going to sent it from Taiwan to Spain.
    So, when it arrived to Spain, as the shipment comes from Taiwan, I have to pay duty taxes for Europe´s imports, which is 27€ (30$ extra).

Very good customer service Intense Cycles (Ironic mode ON).
    This in infuriating and unbelievably short sighted. It should be a no-brainer for the European office and Intense. They must give out a brace to anyone who has problems with the link instead of sending link after link after link. There is no scenario where it is sound business practice to make a faulty product, then make a fix, and then not supply this free of charge to all customers. The Norwegian distributor where I got mine, got so fed up with all the red tape and hoops their customers had to go through every time a link failed, and ended up demanding Intense just send them one brace per sold bike, and let Intense solve their logistics/warranty red tape internally after the fact. And so it was done. No reason for any distributors or customers to be humble about this, demand what should have been there from the start.

mtbr member
    Intense seems to screw there customers and dealers without any remorse......No remorse means they don't have regrets for their actions, normally in conjunction with something they've done or were involved in.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    Intense seems to screw there customers and dealers without any remorse......No remorse means they don't have regrets for their actions, normally in conjunction with something they've done or were involved in.
    As I’ve said before on this thread, I’ve had nothing but positive interactions with Intense’s (USA) customer service. AFAIK the current policy in the US is that if you have problems with your Sniper upper link (e.g. loose bearings) they will warranty the link and also send you a cross-brace, all free.

My frustrations with the linkage and bearings on the first-gen Sniper XC were numerous (read back through this thread if you have time to kill.) Intense was generally really good to me, always responsive and sent a bunch of replacement parts in a timely manner. You can call or email and get a real person who knows what they’re talking about and will follow up with you. Chappy has been great to deal with.

With all that said, I agree with Ole that the best way to handle the cross brace would’ve been to just send one to anyone who purchased a gen-1 bike. Maybe there’s some liability issue that made that option unpalatable; they make the brace an “upgrade” rather than a recall/admission of fault.

mtbr member
    they make the brace an “upgrade” rather than a recall/admission of fault.
    So that would be a way to once again screw there customer?
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    This in infuriating and unbelievably short sighted. It should be a no-brainer for the European office and Intense. They must give out a brace to anyone who has problems with the link instead of sending link after link after link. There is no scenario where it is sound business practice to make a faulty product, then make a fix, and then not supply this free of charge to all customers. The Norwegian distributor where I got mine, got so fed up with all the red tape and hoops their customers had to go through every time a link failed, and ended up demanding Intense just send them one brace per sold bike, and let Intense solve their logistics/warranty red tape internally after the fact. And so it was done. No reason for any distributors or customers to be humble about this, demand what should have been there from the start.
    The cross brace can be requested by all customers. As mentioned in the cross brace thread all that has to be done is to submit a warranty claim. This process allows us to track the claim and be in contact with customers about the cross brace and make sure that there are no further issues.

Our European office is currently being restructured and we are working on providing more support from our US headquarters for that office. This will include a larger selection of inventory and more customer service representation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    So that would be a way to once again screw there customer?
    No, that would be a way that all claims can be tracked by both the customer and INTENSE to provide - 1. Better products 2. A better line of communication to customers

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Then why list it for sale if its a warranty issue?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Then why list it for sale if its a warranty issue?
    It is not a warranty issue, but a claim must be submitted, this is done through the same form. Crash replacements go through the same claim process.

mtbr member
    I think the official party line from Intense is that there is no design flaw with the original Sniper top link, and that many riders may be perfectly happy with the bike without the cross brace. If you are one of these riders but decide to “upgrade” to more stiffness, you can buy the brace.

If you DO experience an issue with the top link, Intense will warranty it and provide a cross brace. But they stop short of saying “original top link is crap, everyone should get a brace, and they’re free, just fill out this form.”

Personally I think this latter course would’ve been preferable, and more consistent with the facts. I went through 3 top links before getting the brace on my 2019 Sniper XC; they lasted about a week on average for me before the bearings developed massive play. That said, the loose bearings don’t make the bike unridable (just a noodle) and don’t pose any obvious safety risk. I guess Intense figures if you’re happy with a non-braced bike that’s fine, no need for a full-on recall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The cross brace can be requested by all customers. As mentioned in the cross brace thread all that has to be done is to submit a warranty claim. This process allows us to track the claim and be in contact with customers about the cross brace and make sure that there are no further issues.

Our European office is currently being restructured and we are working on providing more support from our US headquarters for that office. This will include a larger selection of inventory and more customer service representation.

Hello Creativefletch,

I requested the cross brace after the third upper link replacement under warranty (of course I have all the emails to prove this). I had to pay for the brace (not problem with that), but I also have to pay the European´s duty taxes because the shipment comes from Taiwan.
    For what has Intense an European distributor or service?
    To me this make not sense and this is why I´m not happy with Intense service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_averias View Post
    Hello Creativefletch,

I requested the cross brace after the third upper link replacement under warranty (of course I have all the emails to prove this). I had to pay for the brace (not problem with that), but I also have to pay the European´s duty taxes because the shipment comes from Taiwan.
    For what has Intense an European distributor or service?
    To me this make not sense and this is why I´m not happy with Intense service.
    I tried 6 months to solve my problems with eu custom service, but no. After that i contacted straight to us custom service and my case took only 48h and all my problems was solved. So that is my tip to eu customers.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think the official party line from Intense is that there is no design flaw with the original Sniper top link, and that many riders may be perfectly happy with the bike without the cross brace. If you are one of these riders but decide to “upgrade” to more stiffness, you can buy the brace.

If you DO experience an issue with the top link, Intense will warranty it and provide a cross brace. But they stop short of saying “original top link is crap, everyone should get a brace, and they’re free, just fill out this form.”

Personally I think this latter course would’ve been preferable, and more consistent with the facts. I went through 3 top links before getting the brace on my 2019 Sniper XC; they lasted about a week on average for me before the bearings developed massive play. That said, the loose bearings don’t make the bike unridable (just a noodle) and don’t pose any obvious safety risk. I guess Intense figures if you’re happy with a non-braced bike that’s fine, no need for a full-on recall.
    According to Intense, only a very small % of Intense owners ever voiced a concern with the back end rigidity. So, most are happy/content with the original Sniper. This explains why Intense would not provide a cross brace to every Sniper owner.

I had an issue with mine, filed a claim and got a new brace free of charge. For US customers, Intense seems to have done a credible job satisfying their customers. Sounds like some issues in other countries need to be resolved.

mtbr member
    Trying to narrow down my 2019 xc choices. Which of the Sniper xc models come with the fit4 damper? Is it just the elite and pro builds? Then the expert and foundation models get the Grip damper?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I've been lusting after an Intense since I was a teenager, and after the Sniper since it came out a couple of years ago. After following this thread for some weeks I finally decided to pull the trigger, put in an order for the 2020 Sniper T Expert build, XL size. I'm 6'2" and this is my first "modern geo" bike, so hope it's not too big for me... I will be upgrading the drivetrain to the new XT 12-speed and eventually the brakes as well, but otherwise have no planned changes. Will post some pics when I get the bike.

The purpose is general XC and trail riding (more XC than trail), with occasional marathon-style racing. Perhaps a stage race too, if I can find the time to train for it. I figure if I do decide to get a bit more serious about the racing, and/or sign up for the stage race, I can always change the rear shock to go down to 100mm rear travel and firm up the suspension. Easy change and not too expensive; this is a multi-faceted bike like that.

I will be bringing the bike to Colombia, where I live. From everything I've read it will be perfect for our local trails, which consist mostly of giant climbs followed by giant descents. I've never seen an Intense bike here, either, which is part of the allure.

I can't wait for it to arrive!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    Trying to narrow down my 2019 xc choices. Which of the Sniper xc models come with the fit4 damper? Is it just the elite and pro builds? Then the expert and foundation models get the Grip damper?
    For 2019 Sniper XC Models the Factory, Elite, and Pro models come with Fox Factory 32SC 100mm Fork with Fit4 damper. The Expert level comes with a Fox Performance Elite 32SC 100mm Fork that will also come with the Fit4 damper (Performance Elite uses the same internals as the Factory). The Foundation model comes with a Fox Performance 32SC 100mm fork that comes with a GRIP damper.

The 2020 Sniper XC Expert build has a Fox Performance Elite 32SC 100mm Fork. The Pro and Elite models come with the Fox Factory 32SC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyenda View Post
    I've been lusting after an Intense since I was a teenager, and after the Sniper since it came out a couple of years ago. After following this thread for some weeks I finally decided to pull the trigger, put in an order for the 2020 Sniper T Expert build, XL size. I'm 6'2" and this is my first "modern geo" bike, so hope it's not too big for me... I will be upgrading the drivetrain to the new XT 12-speed and eventually the brakes as well, but otherwise have no planned changes. Will post some pics when I get the bike.

The purpose is general XC and trail riding (more XC than trail), with occasional marathon-style racing. Perhaps a stage race too, if I can find the time to train for it. I figure if I do decide to get a bit more serious about the racing, and/or sign up for the stage race, I can always change the rear shock to go down to 100mm rear travel and firm up the suspension. Easy change and not too expensive; this is a multi-faceted bike like that.

I will be bringing the bike to Colombia, where I live. From everything I've read it will be perfect for our local trails, which consist mostly of giant climbs followed by giant descents. I've never seen an Intense bike here, either, which is part of the allure.

I can't wait for it to arrive!
    Enjoy the new bike and post some pictures once you get it out on the trails in Columbia!

I've been lusting after an Intense since I was a teenager, and after the Sniper since it came out a couple of years ago. After following this thread for some weeks I finally decided to pull the trigger, put in an order for the 2020 Sniper T Expert build, XL size. I'm 6'2" and this is my first "modern geo" bike, so hope it's not too big for me... I will be upgrading the drivetrain to the new XT 12-speed and eventually the brakes as well, but otherwise have no planned changes. Will post some pics when I get the bike... I can't wait for it to arrive!
    I'm roughly your height--I'm running a 50mm stem, and 800mm bars, and with about 100 miles so far, its pretty spot on for me. You should love this bike. If you've got major descents, maybe upsize the rear rotor to 180mm.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I’ve had my Intense Sniper Trail since October or so. It was about the time they came out with the official cross brace. I ordered it and installed it within a week of getting the bike. I’ve enjoyed it immensely. Shortly after I bought the bike I noticed they were offering Free E*Thirteen Carbon Wheelsets With the remaining 2019 Snipers. I quickly contacted them and discovered I qualified! Woohoo. I finally got them last week. Install went great. I love them. My first Carbon wheelset. Kudos to Intense. Too good to be true!
    Last edited by jtstj; 02-12-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Sneaker man
    Side note, is anyone else having an issue where if you click on the "last post" button for this thread, it takes to a post about Di2 in the shimano forum...or just me?
    All the gear and no idea.

Sneaker man
    And now it's magically fixed... been doing it all day, and now it's not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Good information. Thanks.

After reading more reviews of the Luftkappe, it definitely sounds like something that would improve the small bump sensitivity while also preventing bob or dive.
    Le Duke can you post up a pic or two of your bike showing the stem profile? Did you end up going 66? I have a 66 Flatforce on order for my Primer which is an XC build and as light as a Sniper T. I want to get a little lower over the front and think the 66 will stretch me out a little more too...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm josh View Post
    Hi,
    Im happy to add to the Sniper feedback.

I have ridden approx 800km on my Sniper trail SL.
    I weigh 83kg and 6ft 5"

Previous bike was V2 Ripley LS.
    Prior to that Rocky Mountain Vertex 990.

I would say i ride it fairly hard. Mostly top 5 black, Multiple KOMs on blue and green descents and multiple KOMs on 4min+ climbs if i lay it all down. These all have between 600 and 1000 riders to give you an idea.

I have had no bearing issues, or issues with the top link.

My only issue was a crack in the upright of the rear triangle which was replaced under warranty. I noticed it very early on as a paint crack and it kept growing. I would say it was a flaw in the manufacturing.

I do notice visible rear end flex when under power, but you will see that in all dual suspension bikes. I often swap bikes with a friends Trance Advance Pro 29 and it is, i would say about 20% stiffer visually, similar story with the Ripley.
    I have not felt the flex is an issue while riding any of these bikes however.

I would certainly like to try the brace to see if i can feel or see a difference when its released.

The sniper is far faster climbing and than either the Trance or the Ripley.
    It is also faster on green descents than either of those bikes especially if there is any sort of pedaling involved.
    Blue descents are about = on all bikes as long as they arent too chunky.
    Black rocky descents the Trance is most confidence inspiring as it has the 140mm front upgrade, the Ripley and Sniper are similar.
    If the blacks are not so chunky to overwhelm 120mm, all 3 bikes are similar times.

Both the Trance and Ripley outperform the Sniper in chunky terrain.

On a local full coarse lap of 20mins i would estimate the sniper to be faster than either the Trace Or Ripley by at least 2 mins (10%).

I ride the sniper in the open mode, and setting 1 low speed compression. Sometimes i play with setting 2 and 3 but i find the least amount of low speed compression dampening is fine. I think this bike has quite a high amount of anti-squat and that shows in not having to use the shock to control pedal input movements.
    The high anti-squat is not without its downside, which seems to come in the form of slightly more difficulty in pedaling through chunky terrain than the Trance or Ripley.
    It may have also contributed to a few sore ankles after a few heavy landings when i first got the bike. I believe this is because the high levels of anti-squat also have high levels of pedal kickback during compression's and this is something i wasn't used too.

I have been a little disappointing in Intense Australia customer service.
    I guess being a smaller company they have to watch the $$ a bit more before handing out replacements etc. I broke 2 Rocky Mountain frames and i just sent one lot of photos and a frame was on the way. Same story with friends who ride Giant with replacements there within a week.
    It took me 2 months to get the rear triangle after sending heaps of photos to Intense Australia.

So in summary i really like the bike and i think the trail version really hits a nice spot for the larger xc rider that uses a bit more travel during impacts than your regular 65kg whippet. I would happily race this bike for XC. It also makes a demon trail bike if your terrain is not super chunky or your happy to pick a line when it gets rowdy.
    If your strictly a trial rider and dont care about your times on the climbs, then you might be better off with something that has a little more weight in the frame and possibly a little more travel.

Josh
    I am the same height and weight as you with a 36” inseam. I don’t have an XL I can test. How is the fit? Are you still happy with the bike? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2019 while they’re still available. If you did it over would you opt for the new T or stick with the SL?

mtbr member
    I’m just a hair under 6’3” on an XL, so shorter than you. BB center to saddle top is 83cm for me. My only concern would be effective STA for a taller rider on the Trail (longer fork/slacker angles). For me at my height, with the saddle a bit forward on the rails, a plumb line from nose of my saddle is about 2” behind BB center. This works pretty well for me, though on steep climbs I could live with a slightly steeper STA. If you saddle is appreciably higher, the slack actual STA will put you further and further behind the BB.

Of course steep STA is not for everyone, and if you’re riding a lot of flat to rolling terrain or marathon stuff it might actually be annoying as it will put more weight on your hands.

If this is a concern you could check out the Norco Revolver. That thing has steeper and MUCH longer geometry than almost anything else in the segment, could be just the ticket for a tall guy.

I would also suggest the Sniper T with dual uprights for anyone over 160lbs or so. I’m more like 190 and ride hard, and had a ton of issues with the Sniper XC bearings. Now on the T and it’s noticeably stiffer.

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Le Duke can you post up a pic or two of your bike showing the stem profile? Did you end up going 66? I have a 66 Flatforce on order for my Primer which is an XC build and as light as a Sniper T. I want to get a little lower over the front and think the 66 will stretch me out a little more too...
    Sorry for the delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks much that stem looks great

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Looking at the 2019 SL frame. Remaining inventory is the 1 bottle inside main frame for large. Wondering if 2 bottles have shoe clearance using the wolftooth b-rad. Looking at owner pictures in this thread I really can't tell. Is the mainframe cage mount too low for the side by side bottle?
    Looking at le dukes picture, I see his 2019 has the cage mount option under the down tube. One of my current frames has the same setup and I don't mind it. Simply swap top caps or the entire bottle at an aid station, but if the 2019 large could fit the wolftooth, it would be extra awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Sniper Trail Happiness

Love, love, loving my Sniper Trail. I know there's a lot of people having problems. I feel bad for them. Anything mass produced can and will have issues, but I haven't had any issues.

I would like to put on a bashguard, but which ones fit the Sniper Trail? They don't have the bolt holes I see so many bashguards use.. hrmp..

Intense Sniper-7mdwn3kbrpslj55ok0wr-qs_rbyij22jwwym9org1gw-1536x2048.jpgIntense Sniper-5afhorvzjuektzin6yvorqqdvrxrhzoihvxwgzcuohk-2048x1536.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    After looking at my frame, I'm fairly certain I could fit a 22oz and a 16oz bottle in it with a B-RAD.

Now, that's awfully close to a single 33oz Zefal, but it gives me options.
    Death from Below.

SPECIALizED
    After looking at my frame, I'm fairly certain I could fit a 22oz and a 16oz bottle in it with a B-RAD.

I think if you used a B-RAD 2 it would move the mounts up high enough to use their double bottle mount. I was lucky to get by with their Dogbone since shock placement already has my cage mounts high enough.

BTW I demoed a large Sniper over the weekend and it had double bottle mounts. I was able to stack two short bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo-McGurk View Post
    I would like to put on a bashguard, but which ones fit the Sniper Trail? They don't have the bolt holes I see so many bashguards use.. hrmp..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7Mdwn3KbrPslJ55ok0WR-Qs_RBYIJ22JWWYm9oRg1gw-1536x2048.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	1312287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5afhOrVZjUEktzIN6yvorqqdVrxRHzOiHVXWGzcuOhk-2048x1536.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	1312289
    One of my potential hang-ups was the lack of ISCG mounts to run frame-mounted bash guard. I'm 170 miles into mine, and I've gotten over it. I believe the best option would be to run a new crank spider (https://northshorebillet.com/product...m-x0-x9-cranks), and attach a bash guard to the outer chainring position. Thinking it would also require a new chainring based on your photo. It's probably not cheap: spider + chainring + bash.

Formerly of Kent
    I've only been riding mine gingerly down a few snow covered trails and FS roads thus far, and a good amount of road riding to dial in the fit. Got 300 miles on it now, and if I uncork 1100w, I can't feel any back end flex. Given the stories I'd read in this thread, I had been crossing my fingers that the brace fixed the rear end problems, and for me at least, it certainly appears to have done just that.

In other news, I should finish up my new front wheel tomorrow. I found a pretty good deal on an Extralite Hyperfront laced up to a 650b Stan's Crest. I unlaced that, and threw on the mate to my current rear wheel's rim (I bought two, only needed one when I built up the current rear). Should be under 600g with rim tape and valve.

I'll be using the Crest rim to build up a pair of light 650b wheels for my wife's gravel bike. Should make her rides with the dog on the local trail system a bit more comfortable.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've only been riding mine gingerly down a few snow covered trails and FS roads thus far, and a good amount of road riding to dial in the fit. Got 300 miles on it now, and if I uncork 1100w, I can't feel any back end flex. Given the stories I'd read in this thread, I had been crossing my fingers that the brace fixed the rear end problems, and for me at least, it certainly appears to have done just that.

In other news, I should finish up my new front wheel tomorrow. I found a pretty good deal on an Extralite Hyperfront laced up to a 650b Stan's Crest. I unlaced that, and threw on the mate to my current rear wheel's rim (I bought two, only needed one when I built up the current rear). Should be under 600g with rim tape and valve.

I'll be using the Crest rim to build up a pair of light 650b wheels for my wife's gravel bike. Should make her rides with the dog on the local trail system a bit more comfortable.
    I've like my Extralite wheelset- so far no issue- knock on wood.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo-McGurk View Post
    Love, love, loving my Sniper Trail. I know there's a lot of people having problems. I feel bad for them. Anything mass produced can and will have issues, but I haven't had any issues.

Name:	7Mdwn3KbrPslJ55ok0WR-Qs_RBYIJ22JWWYm9oRg1gw-1536x2048.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	1312287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5afhOrVZjUEktzIN6yvorqqdVrxRHzOiHVXWGzcuOhk-2048x1536.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	1312289
    Edit: Nevermind, needs a threaded BB according to MRP. I think you are SOL

You can try something like this. There are not really any pressfit bb mount bash guards out there. So buy this adapter, remove the bb spacer, attach your preferred bash guard, let us know if it worked.

https://www.jensonusa.com/MRP-BB-To-...waAlTxEALw_wcB

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I’m just a hair under 6’3” on an XL, so shorter than you. BB center to saddle top is 83cm for me. My only concern would be effective STA for a taller rider on the Trail (longer fork/slacker angles). For me at my height, with the saddle a bit forward on the rails, a plumb line from nose of my saddle is about 2” behind BB center. This works pretty well for me, though on steep climbs I could live with a slightly steeper STA. If you saddle is appreciably higher, the slack actual STA will put you further and further behind the BB.

Of course steep STA is not for everyone, and if you’re riding a lot of flat to rolling terrain or marathon stuff it might actually be annoying as it will put more weight on your hands.

If this is a concern you could check out the Norco Revolver. That thing has steeper and MUCH longer geometry than almost anything else in the segment, could be just the ticket for a tall guy.

I would also suggest the Sniper T with dual uprights for anyone over 160lbs or so. I’m more like 190 and ride hard, and had a ton of issues with the Sniper XC bearings. Now on the T and it’s noticeably stiffer.
    thanks for the advice. I measured bb center to saddle top on my Superfly ht and it’s 82cm, so slightly shorter than you’re Sniper. I’d probably set it a little higher if I was running a dropper but probably not much more than a cm. I do have my saddle set back closer to 4”. I demoed a Scott Spark recently which has a similar sta and it was fine climbing my local trails where the step climbs are relatively short.

Im familiar with the issues you’ve had with SL frame. I’m 180lbs and don’t race or ride hard. A 2019 frame/build is easier on the budget but I don’t want a bunch of headache just to save $500. Im wondering if the NM frame on the expert build is noticeably stiffer than the SL seeing its the same carbon layup and alloy lower link as the T. (I do prefer the colorway of the SL)

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mshynson View Post
    I am the same height and weight as you with a 36” inseam. I don’t have an XL I can test. How is the fit? Are you still happy with the bike? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2019 while they’re still available. If you did it over would you opt for the new T or stick with the SL?
    Gday Mshynson,
    Yes i am still happy with the Sniper SL trail, For me i fitted a 70mm stem get get correct reach. The fit is great for me. The only potential issue i can see some might have trouble getting the seat low enough if they have a 175mm dropper, for example i only have about 8mm of seat height adjustment.
    If i were doing it again i would still go with the 2019 SL and the cross brace as its quite a bit lighter, I added the cross brace a few months ago and there is a noticeable increase in stiffness. If i was riding chunkier terrain and not wanting to cover as much distance i would be fine with the a Sniper T

mtbr member
    XL Sniper T frame, basically brand new, up for sale by me:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2729057/

Separate from this sale, I also have a DPX2 piggyback shock sized for the Sniper (45mm stroke) if anyone is interested. PM for details.

As I mention in the ad, I’m selling this frame because I’ve decided to go a different route for an XC race bike this season. My riding and focus and shifted more toward competitive XC, so I decided to get a more dedicated XC race machine rather than a solid trail bike that could be raced (which is how I view the Sniper T). No knock on the Sniper, and especially the Sniper T, which I think fixed pretty much all the issues with the OG sniper in terms of flex and durability.

mtbr member
    Might try the new Pike fork and a Super Deluxe shock on my Sniper Trail just to see how it feels. Anyone have a guess as to what tune to select on the rear shock?

https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/rs-sdlx-selp-b2

Edit. A little bird told me to wait for the new SID 35mm fork...I'm thinking that with a Vorsprung tuned Super Deluxe will be awesome for longer stage racing XC.
    Last edited by johnnyboy.ca; 03-02-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy.ca View Post
    Might try the new Pike fork and a Super Deluxe shock on my Sniper Trail just to see how it feels. Anyone have a guess as to what tune to select on the rear shock?

https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/rs-sdlx-selp-b2

Edit. A little bird told me to wait for the new SID 35mm fork...I'm thinking that with a Vorsprung tuned Super Deluxe will be awesome for longer stage racing XC.
    There are a few 165x45 Super Deluxe shocks on eBay right now. Pretty darn cheap, too. It seems that many/most of them are off of Evil Following MBs. I know at least one other poster here has thrown one on and seems to have had some success tuning it to his liking.

Like you, I'm thinking of buying one for longer days and/or longer descents. It should help a good bit with preventing heat buildup in the shock. I've found that the main thing handicapping short travel bikes on long descents isn't the travel but the inability to prevent the shock from packing up due to heat.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    There are a few 165x45 Super Deluxe shocks on eBay right now. Pretty darn cheap, too. It seems that many/most of them are off of Evil Following MBs. I know at least one other poster here has thrown one on and seems to have had some success tuning it to his liking.

Like you, I'm thinking of buying one for longer days and/or longer descents. It should help a good bit with preventing heat buildup in the shock. I've found that the main thing handicapping short travel bikes on long descents isn't the travel but the inability to prevent the shock from packing up due to heat.
    I have a brand new (used on 4 total rides) Fox DPX2 165x45 that I'm getting rid of, PM me if interested. Would probably not let it go as cheap as the SuperDeluxes on eBay, but well below half of what it cost new...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anyone selling a shock for a Sniper XC? My stock Fox shock has blown out 4 times in 11 months of riding, including once in the middle of a 3 day stage race (Moab Rocks). Fox wants to keep trying to fit it instead of replacing it. I’m so frustrated and over messing with the old shock. Looking for an XC shock.

mtbr member
    Just curious, are you running the cross-brace on your Sniper XC?

I had a bunch of shock issues on my XC, and Fox eventually told me the shock was being repeatedly cross-loaded by frame flex. Both air shaft and damper shaft were scored and damaged to the point that it wouldn’t hold air. Combo of a flexy frame and the way the Sniper link connects directly to the trunnion mount means rear end flex gets transmitted to the shock and tries to fold it in half. Adding the cross-brace should improve the situation (and the Sniper T’s dual-sided rear end should be the real fix) but if you ran the shock a bunch without a brace it’s possible you’ve done irreparable damage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just curious, are you running the cross-brace on your Sniper XC?

I had a bunch of shock issues on my XC, and Fox eventually told me the shock was being repeatedly cross-loaded by frame flex. Both air shaft and damper shaft were scored and damaged to the point that it wouldn’t hold air. Combo of a flexy frame and the way the Sniper link connects directly to the trunnion mount means rear end flex gets transmitted to the shock and tries to fold it in half. Adding the cross-brace should improve the situation (and the Sniper T’s dual-sided rear end should be the real fix) but if you ran the shock a bunch without a brace it’s possible you’ve done irreparable damage.
    Very good to know. That was my suspicion. It was run without a cross brace for about 8 months. I have the cross brace now, but maybe the damage has already been done.

Formerly of Kent
    The M9000 brake calipers on my Sniper keep leaking. Warrantied the front, and still leaking out of the piston. The weather is starting to clear up and riding in my garage was old two months ago.

Bought the bullet and went with some Magura MT Trail SLs. Found them at Jenson 50% off. Shipped today.

Might also convert the rest of my Shimano brakes to Shigura, with some MT8 calipers.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcjacob21 View Post
    Anyone selling a shock for a Sniper XC? My stock Fox shock has blown out 4 times in 11 months of riding, including once in the middle of a 3 day stage race (Moab Rocks). Fox wants to keep trying to fit it instead of replacing it. I’m so frustrated and over messing with the old shock. Looking for an XC shock.

Don't know if I can post the other site, but here are two, one from a Sniper T

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...20dps%20165x45

mtbr member
    May 2012
    No idea on the tune:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-RockSh....c100667.m2042

Sorry just saw the XC shock part. These are all 45mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Don't know if I can post the other site, but here are two, one from a Sniper T

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...20dps%20165x45
    Thanks! I might jump on the 2020, but for now Fox has agreed to replace the shock of the rebuild doesn’t work. Praying it actually works for more than a month this time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Any update on the b-rad and two bottles with your 2019 SL XC?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Any update on the b-rad and two bottles with your 2019 SL XC?
    Nothing. Work was a bit crazy last week.

I'm going measure again and see what I need. I'd like to be able to get 3 or more bottles on my bike.

With a filtration/sterilization kit, and proper route planning, I should be good for all day rides with a pretty minimal backpack, which I hate.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Intense Sniper T Expert 2020 - first impressions

I've had my Intense Sniper T - the first in Colombia, I believe - for 10 days now. In that time I've done 7 rides and roughly 180 km, enough to (mostly) sort out the suspension and get the seating position where I want it... and get some idea of the bike's quirks. For reference, I'm 190 cm and weigh 80 kg, and am riding an XL. My previous bike was a 2013 Canyon Nerve AL (what they used to call the Neuron); that bike has what was "trail" geometry for the time (69.5 degree HA, 435mm reach on size L, 90mm stem, etc), but which today would be pretty standard XC geometry. In retrospect that frame was always slightly small on me, one of the reasons I decided to buy a new bike...

In summary: Believe the hype. The Sniper's geometry oozes confidence on the descents, which I somewhat expected from the reviews. What I didn't anticipate is how eager the bike is to be leaned hard into corners; the difference here with respect to my old bike is as big as it is surprising. This makes even XC-type riding exhilarating and immensely fun. I had never ridden a "longer / lower / slacker" bike and the benefits with respect to more traditional geometry are instantly notable from the moment you get on the bike - these are not small nuances I'm talking about here. The bike makes you want to get up and sprint out of every turn or over every hill, giving back everything you put in (and more), while treating every trail like a pump-track.

Despite the difference in look and feel, the bike handled intuitively from the moment I got on the saddle and started pedaling. I was worried I'd find the raked-out front wheel "weird" and perhaps not like it, especially on a bike I had never swung a leg over before buying, but this fear turned out to be misplaced.

This combination of different, but intuitive, is IMO, the bike's secret sauce. One surprise is just how aggressive the seating position is. The short head angle and long reach mean you can get as low and stretched out as you want for racing. But this, combined with slightly longer travel and aggressive geometry is the core of what makes the bike special. It really is XC position and pedaling efficiency with trail geometry. For all that, you don't give up much, if anything, on steep climbs or hairpin turns; the bike never feels too big or too slow, and in any case you quickly adapt to the changes.

In terms of suspension, the Sniper is in a different league compared to my old Horst-link setup. I believe part of this is the new generation of Fox rear shocks: the EVOL sleeve makes it super sensitive to small bumps in the first third of it's travel, and the dual-piston system means you can truly lock the shock out completely for road sections, which feels awesome. The pedaling efficiency is good, though I do find myself flicking the compression damping to the middle 'trail' setting for climbs (lots where I live), or for flat or undulating sections. In short, the suspension is supple and buttery through chatter; makes you feel like a superhero through gnar and chunder; yet still offers a stiff and efficient pedaling platform in mid-travel, and stiffens enough for bottom-out with the factory-installed air tokens. It is not *quite* as efficient as some of the reviews out there might have you believe, however, though again, the pedaling-through-mud feel of my four-bar is gone.

The bike has that ''boutique brand" cool emanating from every angle, even in this entry-level build. The paint job is refined and elegant yet subtle, I truly believe it looks better in person than in pictures. The intense-brand components all feel very swank. I swapped out the saddle for my favorite old Specialized one, and replaced the entire NX drivetrain with the new XT 12-speed (including a Garbaruk-brand 11-52 tooth cassette, since the stock Formula hubs don’t accept the switch to Micro Spline…).

My only criticisms:
    -The fox 34 feels surprisingly harsh, and I can’t seem to use all the travel, even running close to 10+ PSI below Fox’s recommended air pressure. The fork either has a factory defect, or it came stock with too many volume reducers for my weight / riding style; getting a “26mm chamferless socket” to open the fork up has been surprisingly difficult, will let you know as soon as I figure this one out.
    -The bike came with 780mm handlebars, not 760mm as listed on Intense’s website. Not a big deal since they can be cut down, but a strange ****up.
    -the dropper stopped working after my first ride, I believe a cable came loose inside the frame. This *should* be easy to fix, but again, a strange ****up.

Overall: the bike is sexy, swanky, and as loin-stirring as an Intense ought to be. Everything feels well thought-out and solidly put together with attention to detail… even the packaging and included torque wrench are spot-on. The two full-size water-bottle mounts (and included Intense-brand cages… see pictures!) might not seem like a big deal, until you realize you can stop wearing your camelback entirely, which is so liberating. With the included cross-brace and second vertical strut in the rear-triangle, stiffness is more than adequate and a complete non-issue in this 2020 model. Most importantly, the bike simply feels awesome – confident, playful, and totally worthy of your local XC race scene or a big marathon or stage race. It is this hybrid personality – raceable yet fun, confident yet efficient – that make it so special. I’m amazed that it is better than my old bike in literally every way, despite a similar retail price and ostensible intentions. I lobbed off 6 minutes from my usual 2-hour, 2,500-foot climb home loop yesterday, what more proof do you want?

Intense Sniper-img-20200306-wa0029.jpgIntense Sniper-dsc_0086.jpgIntense Sniper-img-20200306-wa0030.jpgIntense Sniper-img-20200306-wa0032.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice review and glad you are liking the bike.

My fork came with two volume spacers installed which is way too much. I am almost exactly the same size as you. I took them all out.
    Just remember that using all of your travel is not a sign that the fork is set up properly. You want a little travel left for those Oh Shit moments. But yeah you probably have too many in there.

You don't "need" a chamferless socket. I use an adjustable wrench and am very careful. I might lose a little anodizing every time, but I am messing with it maybe once or twice ever.

I am on a Large and don't have that stretched out XC feel you do, but I will say it is comfortable and handles great.

Keep enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've had my Intense Sniper T - the first in Colombia, I believe - for 10 days now. In that time I've done 7 rides and roughly 180 km, enough to (mostly) sort out the suspension and get the seating position where I want it... and get some idea of the bike's quirks. For reference, I'm 190 cm and weigh 80 kg, and am riding an XL. My previous bike was a 2013 Canyon Nerve AL (what they used to call the Neuron); that bike has what was "trail" geometry for the time (69.5 degree HA, 435mm reach on size L, 90mm stem, etc), but which today would be pretty standard XC geometry. In retrospect that frame was always slightly small on me, one of the reasons I decided to buy a new bike...

In summary: Believe the hype. The Sniper's geometry oozes confidence on the descents, which I somewhat expected from the reviews. What I didn't anticipate is how eager the bike is to be leaned hard into corners; the difference here with respect to my old bike is as big as it is surprising. This makes even XC-type riding exhilarating and immensely fun. I had never ridden a "longer / lower / slacker" bike and the benefits with respect to more traditional geometry are instantly notable from the moment you get on the bike - these are not small nuances I'm talking about here. The bike makes you want to get up and sprint out of every turn or over every hill, giving back everything you put in (and more), while treating every trail like a pump-track.

Despite the difference in look and feel, the bike handled intuitively from the moment I got on the saddle and started pedaling. I was worried I'd find the raked-out front wheel "weird" and perhaps not like it, especially on a bike I had never swung a leg over before buying, but this fear turned out to be misplaced.

This combination of different, but intuitive, is IMO, the bike's secret sauce. One surprise is just how aggressive the seating position is. The short head angle and long reach mean you can get as low and stretched out as you want for racing. But this, combined with slightly longer travel and aggressive geometry is the core of what makes the bike special. It really is XC position and pedaling efficiency with trail geometry. For all that, you don't give up much, if anything, on steep climbs or hairpin turns; the bike never feels too big or too slow, and in any case you quickly adapt to the changes.

In terms of suspension, the Sniper is in a different league compared to my old Horst-link setup. I believe part of this is the new generation of Fox rear shocks: the EVOL sleeve makes it super sensitive to small bumps in the first third of it's travel, and the dual-piston system means you can truly lock the shock out completely for road sections, which feels awesome. The pedaling efficiency is good, though I do find myself flicking the compression damping to the middle 'trail' setting for climbs (lots where I live), or for flat or undulating sections. In short, the suspension is supple and buttery through chatter; makes you feel like a superhero through gnar and chunder; yet still offers a stiff and efficient pedaling platform in mid-travel, and stiffens enough for bottom-out with the factory-installed air tokens. It is not *quite* as efficient as some of the reviews out there might have you believe, however, though again, the pedaling-through-mud feel of my four-bar is gone.

The bike has that ''boutique brand" cool emanating from every angle, even in this entry-level build. The paint job is refined and elegant yet subtle, I truly believe it looks better in person than in pictures. The intense-brand components all feel very swank. I swapped out the saddle for my favorite old Specialized one, and replaced the entire NX drivetrain with the new XT 12-speed (including a Garbaruk-brand 11-52 tooth cassette, since the stock Formula hubs don’t accept the switch to Micro Spline…).

My only criticisms:
    -The fox 34 feels surprisingly harsh, and I can’t seem to use all the travel, even running close to 10+ PSI below Fox’s recommended air pressure. The fork either has a factory defect, or it came stock with too many volume reducers for my weight / riding style; getting a “26mm chamferless socket” to open the fork up has been surprisingly difficult, will let you know as soon as I figure this one out.
    -The bike came with 780mm handlebars, not 760mm as listed on Intense’s website. Not a big deal since they can be cut down, but a strange ****up.
    -the dropper stopped working after my first ride, I believe a cable came loose inside the frame. This *should* be easy to fix, but again, a strange ****up.

Overall: the bike is sexy, swanky, and as loin-stirring as an Intense ought to be. Everything feels well thought-out and solidly put together with attention to detail… even the packaging and included torque wrench are spot-on. The two full-size water-bottle mounts (and included Intense-brand cages… see pictures!) might not seem like a big deal, until you realize you can stop wearing your camelback entirely, which is so liberating. With the included cross-brace and second vertical strut in the rear-triangle, stiffness is more than adequate and a complete non-issue in this 2020 model. Most importantly, the bike simply feels awesome – confident, playful, and totally worthy of your local XC race scene or a big marathon or stage race. It is this hybrid personality – raceable yet fun, confident yet efficient – that make it so special. I’m amazed that it is better than my old bike in literally every way, despite a similar retail price and ostensible intentions. I lobbed off 6 minutes from my usual 2-hour, 2,500-foot climb home loop yesterday, what more proof do you want?

Name:	IMG-20200306-WA0029.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	1318019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0086.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	497.2 KB 
ID:	1318021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200306-WA0030.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	1318023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200306-WA0032.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	1318025
    Awesome feedback and review. Enjoy the bike!

So... has anybody ACTUALLY fit a Super Deluxe to a Sniper? I picked up on eBay recently and attempted to install today. Could NOT bolt it up as the rebound 'top' would hit the linkage. When lining up the shocks, its clear how much taller the Super Deluxe is compared to the Fox.

Intense Sniper-img_1640.jpg

Also, still LOVING my Sniper T 380 miles in. Will have a much more detailed review up this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Padre,

Thank you for taking one for the team and finding out that the RS doesn't fit, hopefully you can return it or sell it.

I just found a DPX2 on ebay. It seems to be the same tune as what Drewbird and Ole had. Tuned for an Evil Following. If we ever get to ride bikes again then I will hopefully get to check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    So... has anybody ACTUALLY fit a Super Deluxe to a Sniper? I picked up on eBay recently and attempted to install today. Could NOT bolt it up as the rebound 'top' would hit the linkage. When lining up the shocks, its clear how much taller the Super Deluxe is compared to the Fox.

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	1318443

Also, still LOVING my Sniper T 380 miles in. Will have a much more detailed review up this weekend.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wanted to try this out.

Edit: How close is it? Like a little dremel work or not even close?
    www.johnnyboy.ca

.:grupettolife.com: mtbrealtors.com:.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Le Duke,

What 120 fork offset did you go with? I just built up my sniper XC and went with a 51 offset Fox 34sc (since that's what is spec'd on the trail) . I don't have trail time on it yet, only some bike path time. The front does feel floppy... but like i said... no trail time yet.

Anyone try a 44 offset 120?

mtbr member
    I run a 44mm on my 120mm 34SC on my Trail. Front is not floppy.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    I am running a 51mm sc120 that does not feel floppy at slow speeds and is stable at speeds approaching 40mph.

One thing I do not like about the 44mm offset fork on my ripmo is feeling like it is going to fold under around slow turns, especially in rocky terrain. I have gotten used to it but still think about how to approach the turn. This was not been an issue on other similar bikes when using a 51mm offset fork.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    johnny & c-wal,

Thanks for the info. Coming from a Pivot 429sl its just a big change. I just need some trail time on it and i think it will be fine... whenever the trails dry out here in CO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wanted to try this out.

Edit: How close is it? Like a little dremel work or not even close?
    I don't think its Dremel close, honestly. Best guess, you'd have to work on both the shock and the linkage (I think its the cross brace the shock is impacting) If you want to try it, I have a shock you can try it on for $100 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by at_ecd View Post
    johnny & c-wal,

Thanks for the info. Coming from a Pivot 429sl its just a big change. I just need some trail time on it and i think it will be fine... whenever the trails dry out here in CO.
    I haven't found my Sniper T + SC34 (51mm offset) to be floppy at all up here on PNW trails. I think I'm echoing c-wal, but I've found the bike good at slow speeds when trails get tight, slow and technical, while the bike is amazing when given the chance to stretch its legs and hit XC speeds, or what are XC speeds for me. I am no Nino, big surprise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hello.

I'm 6" (183CM). Should I go for a Large or X-Large Sniper?

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Reallytho View Post
    Hello.

I'm 6" (183CM). Should I go for a Large or X-Large Sniper?
    I'm 6' and went with a large. I do not think I would be comfortable on an XL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DJO View Post
    I'm 6' and went with a large. I do not think I would be comfortable on an XL.
    Ye, that's what I thought. Unfortunately they had a leftover Elite build only in XL. Got it 40% off so I thought it'd be worth a shot. Guess I'll return it if it's too big. Thank you mate!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Mind sharing where you found it for 40% off?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Ye, that's what I thought. Unfortunately they had a leftover Elite build only in XL. Got it 40% off so I thought it'd be worth a shot. Guess I'll return it if it's too big. Thank you mate!
    if it is any consolation I am 5'9' and on a large so...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mshynson View Post
    Mind sharing where you found it for 40% off?
    In their Outlet. Depends on where you are in the world, but for example the EU site has one for 40% off: https://eu.intensecycles.com/collections/bike-outlet

Quote Originally Posted by scooter_b3 View Post
    if it is any consolation I am 5'9' and on a large so...
    Nice! How's the fit, and did you have to do any modifications?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Thought I'd post an update after a few more rides on the bike:

-I've been able to fix the dropper issue by simply changing the cable. It's not the smoothest dropper out there, but it works.

-I've also been surprised by how much the Fox 34 SC with the GRIP damper has bedded-in over the course of the first 25 hours of riding or so. Has anyone else had this experience? I remember forks 20 years ago, when I first started riding, having a break-in period, but I honestly didn't know that was still the case...

The fork initially felt super stiff, worse even than my old Fox from way back in 2013, even running 15 PSI below Fox's recommended air pressure for my weight. I thought the problem was too many volume spacers, so I took the two pre-installed ones out, which helped immensely. But to achieve 20% sag sitting / 25% sag standing, I had to steadily increase the air pressure by about 10 PSI over the course of my first weeks as the fork "opened up". Eventually I got right to Fox's recommended air pressure of about 80 PSI for my weight, and the fork felt good, if not great. At that point I decided to put the two spacers back in and lower the pressure by about 8 PSI, to achieve a more supple first part of the stroke while using up the same amount of travel as I was without the volume spacers.

In summary: after roughly 25 hours and much fiddling, the fork feels way better than it did brand-new and way better than my old fork... but, by comparison to the Sniper's rear suspension, not great. The rear suspension feels super active, plush, and supple, but at the same time I never seem to use full travel. This must mean it has a very smooth ramp-up at the end, which doesn't feel spiky or harsh. The fork, by comparison, tends to feel way less plush while still using up it's travel more easily.

Again, I probably wouldn't even notice this problem in my fork if I didn't have the rear suspension to compare it with. The end result is that the bike's suspension feels "unbalanced"; the rear suspension is very much set-and-forget, with Intense's recommended settings working perfectly from day one, while the fork has needed lot's of fiddling to get it to work well, but is still much harsher than the rear. Any ideas wha't going on?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Again, I probably wouldn't even notice this problem in my fork if I didn't have the rear suspension to compare it with. The end result is that the bike's suspension feels "unbalanced"; the rear suspension is very much set-and-forget, with Intense's recommended settings working perfectly from day one, while the fork has needed lot's of fiddling to get it to work well, but is still much harsher than the rear. Any ideas wha't going on?
    I'd start by dropping the lowers and pulling the air shaft. Fox is notorious for putting way too much grease on the seal head from the factory which eats up negative air space (for small bump compliance) and can clog up the transfer port. Also seen foam rings dry and no grease on the wiper seals. Can also then insure correct oil levels as well. My 2020 34 SC Factory fork had all of the above issues. Sad that I have to tear down a new fork and check this stuff.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    I'd start by dropping the lowers and pulling the air shaft. Fox is notorious for putting way too much grease on the seal head from the factory which eats up negative air space (for small bump compliance) and can clog up the transfer port. Also seen foam rings dry and no grease on the wiper seals. Can also then insure correct oil levels as well. My 2020 34 SC Factory fork had all of the above issues. Sad that I have to tear down a new fork and check this stuff.
    This.

I bought but have not yet installed a Vorsprung Luftkappe because of the above problems.

My Sniper is coming along, but, as other people have said, the front end isn't quite keeping up with what the back end just yet. I think the next step will be throwing some lighter weight oil in it.

For any new buyers out there reading this, I'd recommend that you immediately buy the rear brace and install before riding. I've got a good chunk of miles on mine now and have had no problems at all.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got a DPX2 mounted up today. This is on a large frame. I know DB said everything fit on a XL, so wanted to make sure it was all good on the L.
    It fits and allows for a small water bottle (Specialized) to fit.
    I don't know of a large will fit, because my upper cage is too low to allow for a larger bottle in the lower cage.
    When the shock compresses there is maybe 1mm if not less clearance between the reservoir and the water bottle, so depending on bottles and/or cage location it may rub.
    Just a heads up
    Intense Sniper-img_0434.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

For any new buyers out there reading this, I'd recommend that you immediately buy the rear brace and install before riding. I've got a good chunk of miles on mine now and have had no problems at all.
    How widespread is this problem? I'm getting mine soon and didn't know of this issue until after I ordered it. I'm a very light rider.

Sneaker man
    I've had mine for a few months now, and don't notice it, could it be stiffer? Maybe, but I'm a lardo and the back end seems to work fine. Probably I'bve been lucky to have no issues.

mtbr member
    Get it. It makes all the difference. Will also keep the bearings from making a mess of the top link. It is a game changer on this bike for stiffness and durability.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    It makes the rear triangle much stiffer. My son is a lightweight, he has never had a problem with the bike. But I could wiggle the rear wheel back and forth pretty good with the bike just sitting on the ground. I installed the brace just to make it that much better as he grows or if/when we go to sell, and it is night and day different when doing the same grab and wiggle test.

Got a DPX2 mounted up today. This is on a large frame. I know DB said everything fit on a XL, so wanted to make sure it was all good on the L.
    It fits and allows for a small water bottle (Specialized) to fit.
    I don't know of a large will fit, because my upper cage is too low to allow for a larger bottle in the lower cage.
    When the shock compresses there is maybe 1mm if not less clearance between the reservoir and the water bottle, so depending on bottles and/or cage location it may rub.
    Just a heads up

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	1319743
    Did you nab that one from The Pro's Closet this past weekend? If so... good job! I was just about to buy it and went out of stock! I would love to hear more feedback on if it's worth it.

Formerly of Kent
    I picked one up from DrewBird a couple weeks back. Haven't had time or reason to throw it on yet, but it appears that I will definitely have to buy a B-RAD to keep a bottle inside the frame with it on my Medium.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Did you nab that one from The Pro's Closet this past weekend? If so... good job! I was just about to buy it and went out of stock! I would love to hear more feedback on if it's worth it.
    Yeah, it is the one from TPC. I haven't had a chance to really ride it yet as it has been raining and snowed yesterday.
    Right now my sag is roughly 28% and psi is 220. I weigh 180, so this seemed weird until I checked the interwebs and this seems normal for the DPX2.
    Just riding around the street is seems to be less firm than the DPS. I don't know if that has to do with the slightly more sag I am running or the tuning.
    I will probably try and get the sag to around 25% and adjust from there and see how it rides.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I picked one up from DrewBird a couple weeks back. Haven't had time or reason to throw it on yet, but it appears that I will definitely have to buy a B-RAD to keep a bottle inside the frame with it on my Medium.
    Depending on how you line up your cage you might be able to get it to work. Both of my cages are the furthest down towards the BB. If I moved them both up the reservoir might move towards the indent of the bottle, and I still should be able to fit a bottle up top.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, it is the one from TPC. I haven't had a chance to really ride it yet as it has been raining and snowed yesterday.
    Right now my sag is roughly 28% and psi is 220. I weigh 180, so this seemed weird until I checked the interwebs and this seems normal for the DPX2.
    Just riding around the street is seems to be less firm than the DPS. I don't know if that has to do with the slightly more sag I am running or the tuning.
    I will probably try and get the sag to around 25% and adjust from there and see how it rides.
    You can change the shock's behaviour in Open mode quite a lot by adjusting the low speed comp inside the blue lever.

Formerly of Kent
    Another good ride in yesterday. Still rather pleased with the behavior of the rear end in 108mm mode.

The Fox 34 SC Fit4 on the front, on the other hand, is not performing to expectations. Beating up my hands at 20-25% sag. I launched off a rocky lip into a rock garden with a bunch of cobbles in it, in an attempt to see if I could come close to bottoming it out. Nope. Not even close. Still 25-30mm of fork stanchion to go.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have had a challenge finding a good set up with the step cast 34. My older regular 34 felt way more plush. Went back to factory manual starting set up and am going to try again.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    You can change the shock's behaviour in Open mode quite a lot by adjusting the low speed comp inside the blue lever.
    Yeah, I haven't messed with it yet just cause I haven't gotten to take it in the trail.

Ole, did you find that it felt similar to the DPS? Did you have to run a bunch of PSI to hit sag?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mounted up a new crankset today. Made up for the DPX2 and then some. Bike was at 24.14 lbs before the DPX2, now with the DPX2 and new crankset bike is sitting at 23.8 lbs

Intense Sniper-img_1347.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Another good ride in yesterday. Still rather pleased with the behavior of the rear end in 108mm mode.

The Fox 34 SC Fit4 on the front, on the other hand, is not performing to expectations. Beating up my hands at 20-25% sag. I launched off a rocky lip into a rock garden with a bunch of cobbles in it, in an attempt to see if I could come close to bottoming it out. Nope. Not even close. Still 25-30mm of fork stanchion to go.
    Are you using volume spacers? If so take them out.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I haven't messed with it yet just cause I haven't gotten to take it in the trail.

Ole, did you find that it felt similar to the DPS? Did you have to run a bunch of PSI to hit sag?
    Once you get a ride in please report if you notice a difference in the digressive vs linear tune.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So I am just curious as to how the Sniper works with two different tunes.

The XC version comes with a digressive tuned DPS

The Trail version comes with a linear tuned DPS

Does travel play a part in how these will feel or is the leverage ratio the same minus the continuation of the curve for the additional 20mm of travel?

Looking at the leverage ratio between a Sniper Trail and the Evil Following they have drastically? different ratios.

The Following MB (which is where the DPX2 shock that Ole, Le Duke/DrewBird, and myself have came from) is a Progressive-Progressive ratio

The Sniper is Linear-Progressive

Is this shock going to work based on the leverage ratios? Is it going to act like the Sniper XC shock, but with better heat management due to the reservoir?

Name:  Intense Sniper 29'' TR 2019_LevRatio.gif
Views: 214
Size:  43.9 KB

Formerly of Kent
    Are you using volume spacers? If so take them out.
    That helped quite a bit. Came with two in it; removed both. Much better going down the same hill today. Felt just as supportive while climbing, and better small bump compliance AND bigger impact absorption.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That helped quite a bit. Came with two in it; removed both. Much better going down the same hill today. Felt just as supportive while climbing, and better small bump compliance AND bigger impact absorption.
    Nice!

I have found that unless I need a fork to be ultra progressive because I am in the park casing jumps then I don't need the spacers.
    I usually set my psi based off the middle of the mfg's recomendation and then adjust from there for small bump sensitivity and after that start working with damping.

Right now I am at 180lbs(fat), running 75 psi, no spacers and anywhere from fully open to 10 clicks of open mode compression. Fork feels great for what I need it to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Mounted up a new crankset today. Made up for the DPX2 and then some. Bike was at 24.14 lbs before the DPX2, now with the DPX2 and new crankset bike is sitting at 23.8 lbs

Name:	IMG_1347.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	340.1 KB 
ID:	1320687
    Nice Cranks! I was looking at throwing a set on my Sniper XC, I just got a set of XCX 24mm wheels added.

Good to hear. I've been having similar struggles with my 34SC. I've got the rear sorted pretty well, but can't utilize all the suspension up front. Planning on pulling spacers this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    This is interesting. I've actually thought of doing the same on my Sniper T if and when I get to race the bike. Or maybe, even if I don't; the idea would be to make front and rear more "balanced" with this reverse mullet configuration. The stock 120mm front / 120mm rear makes the rear feel way more plush / capable / bottomless than the front.

All you have to do is get the 40mm stroke rear shock instead of the 45mm that comes stock, right? Seems easy enough. Care to elaborate on how it feels?

Incidentally, from what I read online the two different stroke-length shocks come with different tunes, with the XC version tuned to be more progressive than the T version. Is this really noticeable, or can you pretty much just get an off-the-shelf shock to make the change?

As to the fork: I initially removed the stock volume spacers and increased pressure by about 8 PSI, which got me right to Fox's recommended pressure for my weight. This felt pretty good. But in the end, as the fork broke in, I put the spacers back in and again began running about 8 PSI below Fox's recommendation. This means I run more sag, and the fork feels more plush off the top, more similar to the rear suspension. Honestly I can't say one setting feels objectively "better" than the other; if anything, I prefer the more linear feel with the spacers removed. But, in the name of balancing front and rear suspension, decided to run the more progressive setup, with the tokens. I guess the message is: don't be afraid to experiment, even if you do end up far from Fox's recommendations...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This is interesting. I've actually thought of doing the same on my Sniper T if and when I get to race the bike. Or maybe, even if I don't; the idea would be to make front and rear more "balanced" with this reverse mullet configuration. The stock 120mm front / 120mm rear makes the rear feel way more plush / capable / bottomless than the front.

All you have to do is get the 40mm stroke rear shock instead of the 45mm that comes stock, right? Seems easy enough. Care to elaborate on how it feels?

Incidentally, from what I read online the two different stroke-length shocks come with different tunes, with the XC version tuned to be more progressive than the T version. Is this really noticeable, or can you pretty much just get an off-the-shelf shock to make the change?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the 40mm stroke shock has a reducer in it? So if you don't care about the difference in tune, which I am trying to figure out right now, but with the DPX2, then you should be able to run the XC shock at the trail length.

The XC shock does not have a progressive tune, it has a digressive tune.
    The Trail shock has a linear tune.

mtbr member
    On the sniper xc for an xc racing setup. Which mode are you tuning the rear shock in? Trail or open?

Evolution Training Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2012
    On the sniper xc for an xc racing setup. Which mode are you tuning the rear shock in? Trail or open?

Are you asking about tuning as far as setting sag, LSC and rebound?
    If so you do that it open mode. That goes for pretty much all shocks and forks.

mtbr member
    I am talking about what mode you keep the shock in mostly for racing? I have been keeping mine mostly in trail mode for trail and lock for longer dirt roads. Have not really used the open mode at all yet. Just getting a sense of how people are setting the bike up for racing to speed my own tuning process.

So far though this is the fastest race bike i have been on, it's very impressive. Coming from a 2017-2019 scalpel. And before that a turner czar

Sneaker man
    i came from a Scott Spark which I ran mostly in the trail mode, occasionally the open, the rest the locked. For the sniper I run it 95% of the time in open.

**however I am pretty slow either way

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If it is undulating terrain I will most likely keep it in Trail so I am not reaching down all the time. If the trail is up then down I will put it in Trail for up (unless a fire road, then Firm), and then Open for the way down.

Even in Open though it is pretty efficient and has a good pedaling platform. You could leave it in Open the whole time and probably lose only a little in the long run.

Fork is almost always in Open

mtbr member
    Fork is always Open.

I run the shock in Trail 80% of the time.

If racing, almost never use Open and will use lockout on longer climbs.

If I'm just out riding, I'll flip to Open for some fast descents.

I've gotten pretty quick with flipping the lever when needed.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I am talking about what mode you keep the shock in mostly for racing? I have been keeping mine mostly in trail mode for trail and lock for longer dirt roads. Have not really used the open mode at all yet. Just getting a sense of how people are setting the bike up for racing to speed my own tuning process.

So far though this is the fastest race bike i have been on, it's very impressive. Coming from a 2017-2019 scalpel. And before that a turner czar

For racing I run my Sniper XC in trail mode for the most part. With the exception of long descents I will run it in open mode. For regular riding I run it open mode.

mtbr member
    @creativefletch I am looking for a "down country" XC bike to complement my long travel enduro bike. The 2020 Sniper T seems like a good fit, but I'm 6'3" and 210-215 lbs depending on how much I'm riding. Being right at the recommended maximum weight, should I worry about the long term durability/stiffness of the bike?
    "Less yappin' more braapin" - IFHT

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    @creativefletch I am looking for a "down country" XC bike to complement my long travel enduro bike. The 2020 Sniper T seems like a good fit, but I'm 6'3" and 210-215 lbs depending on how much I'm riding. Being right at the recommended maximum weight, should I worry about the long term durability/stiffness of the bike?
    The Sniper T would be a great complimentary bike to your Enduro Bike for a true down country bike. The recommended weight limit was added to the Sniper XC and the older Sniper Trail as we were getting requests from 250lb riders about riding the Sniper. With the newly update rear triangle and cross brace on the 2020 Sniper T this bike is now very solid with minimal flex. We have actually removed the weight recommendation from this model now.

mtbr member
    The max rider weight is still on the Sniper T Pro page, it looks like you guys removed it on the elite T page.

https://intensecycles.com/collection...s/sniper-t-pro
    "Less yappin' more braapin" - IFHT

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The max rider weight is still on the Sniper T Pro page, it looks like you guys removed it on the elite T page.

https://intensecycles.com/collection...s/sniper-t-pro
    Thanks for the feedback, this has been updated.

I'm 6'2", about your weight. I now have 500 + miles on my Sniper T. You're going to be fine, especially if as you're clearly looking for a 'down country' bike. I absolutely LOVE mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    How does the Sniper XC 2020 Elite wheelset (E*thirteen XCX Carbon) compare to the Sniper XC Elite 2019 wheelset (Intense XC CARBON)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anyone have experience with both the Sniper and Spider? I have a Spider 275C and am looking at a Sniper T 29er. Just curious if anyone has made the move from Spider to Sniper.

This. Bike. Rips.

I'm planning on writing up a more in-depth review of my Sniper as I close in on 600 miles since I built up my frame in late January. Long story short, it is exactly what I wanted in my next bike. This thing loves to be pedaled up down, over everything. I know Strava PRs aren't the end-all, be-all, but I've been getting tons of them on trails I've been riding for a long time now--and many of those PRs are connected to the fact that the Sniper is a bike that really encourages you to get in those extra pedal strokes whenever you can. I have been impressed with how capable the bike is considering how light my build is.

Intense Sniper-img_1377.jpg

If you are looking for a bike to cover lots of ground and do it in a hurry, the Sniper T's worth a long, hard look.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How does the Sniper XC 2020 Elite wheelset (E*thirteen XCX Carbon) compare to the Sniper XC Elite 2019 wheelset (Intense XC CARBON)?
    Here's a little hack. Right now if you purchase a 2019 Sniper XC build you will get a free set of the XCX wheels that come on the 2020 Elite Builds. I picked up a set about a month ago that I replaced on my 2019 Sniper elite and they are really nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Here's a little hack. Right now if you purchase a 2019 Sniper XC build you will get a free set of the XCX wheels that come on the 2020 Elite Builds. I picked up a set about a month ago that I replaced on my 2019 Sniper elite and they are really nice!
    Thank you for the reply! I actually did buy a new 2019 Sniper Elite XC two weeks ago from my LBS, but I'm European and if I'm not mistaken, the promo only applies to US residents. What a bummer! I'd love to try some E*Thirteens otherwise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thank you for the reply! I actually did buy a new 2019 Sniper Elite XC two weeks ago from my LBS, but I'm European and if I'm not mistaken, the promo only applies to US residents. What a bummer! I'd love to try some E*Thirteens otherwise.
    Oh yeah the wheel promo is currently only available in the US and Canada. We're working to get a better global promotion system set-up so we can offer to all countries. I broke my collarbone the week before my wheels arrived so I still haven't got to try them out but I will let you know my thoughts after I get some good miles on them! On the INTENSE XC wheels I really like the DT Swiss hubs, I like quiet hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Oh yeah the wheel promo is currently only available in the US and Canada. We're working to get a better global promotion system set-up so we can offer to all countries. I broke my collarbone the week before my wheels arrived so I still haven't got to try them out but I will let you know my thoughts after I get some good miles on them! On the INTENSE XC wheels I really like the DT Swiss hubs, I like quiet hubs.
    All this sounds good. Please do. And yes, the DT 350s are great hubs that last forever. Get better soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm planning on writing up a more in-depth review of my Sniper as I close in on 600 miles since I built up my frame in late January. Long story short, it is exactly what I wanted in my next bike. This thing loves to be pedaled up down, over everything. I know Strava PRs aren't the end-all, be-all, but I've been getting tons of them on trails I've been riding for a long time now--and many of those PRs are connected to the fact that the Sniper is a bike that really encourages you to get in those extra pedal strokes whenever you can. I have been impressed with how capable the bike is considering how light my build is.

Name:	IMG_1377.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	554.5 KB 
ID:	1324975

If you are looking for a bike to cover lots of ground and do it in a hurry, the Sniper T's worth a long, hard look.
    I just picked up the same 2020 T. What Nox wheels are you running? I have Teo's on my Spider and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by truble911 View Post
    I just picked up the same 2020 T. What Nox wheels are you running? I have Teo's on my Spider and love them.
    They are Farlows with an I9 Torch in the rear and an old, preboost American Class front hub that's light, and spins so well--the wheels were on my previous bike which was more of a bruiser, but wheels are still fantastic here.
    If I had some stupid $$$ I'd probably build up a wheelset with Teos, but I'm pretty happy right now.

It's actually my second wheelset from Nox--I had one with their original rims (the XCRs?) way back. I've always had great dealing and chats with them. Good people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Will the 2020+ Sniper T jive with a 130 fork? You know just for that little extra something something- but more importantly - will intense warranty it with a 130 fork?

Seems perfect when I finally decide to ditch my trail hardtail for a short travel FS 29er to compliment my sb165

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by yetipowdermaniac View Post
    Will the 2020+ Sniper T jive with a 130 fork? You know just for that little extra something something- but more importantly - will intense warranty it with a 130 fork?

Seems perfect when I finally decide to ditch my trail hardtail for a short travel FS 29er to compliment my sb165
    Intense answered this in the thread already. Nope, won't warranty it with a 130mm fork.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Intense answered this in the thread already. Nope, won't warranty it with a 130mm fork.
    Thanks, . My b

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Question on the remaining 2019s. I'm most interested in a Trail Expert build in large. The website shows out of stock in both colors, but has the option to get notified when available while some of the options are greyed out. Will more of these be available or is the website just not up to date? TIA

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sns1294 View Post
    Question on the remaining 2019s. I'm most interested in a Trail Expert build in large. The website shows out of stock in both colors, but has the option to get notified when available while some of the options are greyed out. Will more of these be available or is the website just not up to date? TIA
    If it is a 2019 there will not be more coming.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    How tall are you and is there an XL available?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's what I figured but wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger on something else. Thanks.

XL is too big for me. According to their chart, I'm a solid large, and according to ETT I could probably make a medium work, but definitely not XL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The chart really doesn't tell you the whole story. Technically, I'm 2cm (0.8 inch) below the recommended height for the XL, but I find that it's a very good fit. Reach is perfect and the bike doesn't feel too big as was my initial fear. I'm pretty sure the XL could fit someone 5'11 maybe even 5'10 depending on your torso and riding style.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm a relatively leggy 5'5", (31.5" cycling inseam) and there's no way I would/could ride a Small. My Medium is perfect, running a 66mm Syntace Flatforce stem with a 12 degree backsweep bar. If anything, I could probably go slightly longer with the stem due to the backsweep of the bar.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam. Currently ride a Tallboy 2c and SB5c, both larges with ETTs around 24" and both feel like a comfortable riding positions to me. The Tallboy does have a long by today's standards 90mm stem and a flat bar with about 5 deg of sweep, so maybe with a bit of a rise and a little more sweep on the bar the XL would work...

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    In my opinion these bikes run a little big, and I would not go for the XL if I was even a hair under 6'2". I'm just over 6'2" and own a Sniper T, and have to run my dropper seatpost almost slammed all the way down. That, plus the position is quite stretched out / low; this bike has a very short head tube.

I'd be careful and take a long hard look at the geo charts, and compare them to your own bike. I can't imagine you'd be comfortable on an XL in your size...

Just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    In my opinion these bikes run a little big, and I would not go for the XL if I was even a hair under 6'2". I'm just over 6'2" and own a Sniper T, and have to run my dropper seatpost almost slammed all the way down. That, plus the position is quite stretched out / low; this bike has a very short head tube.

I'd be careful and take a long hard look at the geo charts, and compare them to your own bike. I can't imagine you'd be comfortable on an XL in your size...

Just my 2 cents
    I'm 6" (183cm to be exact) with a 34" inseam and run the dropper post over halfway up on the XL (125mm mind you). The position is pretty much spot on for me. A bud at 5'11 thought the XL was a good fit for him as well. A lot of this depends on a person's exact geometry. But generally speaking, I don't see how Sns with his 33" inseam would have any issues at all with the XL sizing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think what will get me is the seat tube length plus the 175mm dropper on the XL. With the seatpost slammed, I think the saddle will be just a little too high for my liking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I think what will get me is the seat tube length plus the 175mm dropper on the XL. With the seatpost slammed, I think the saddle will be just a little too high for my liking.
    That is true.

Formerly of Kent
    I have a couple of rides on my DPX2 now. The shock I purchased (from DrewBird) came off an Evil Following MB. It's different. Will definitely be good for long, back country rides. The DPX2 doesn't seem to have as firm a lockout when compared to the DPS, which isn't a big deal, but something I noticed right off the bat.

The rebound is dialed right now. Rear end just sticks to the ground. The compression adjustment and the pressure still need a bit of fiddling. Given that I come from an XC racing background, and, well, this is an XC bike, I tend to like my suspension firmer than some. I'm 143lbs, and at 11-12mm/25% sag I'm at 235psi, as best I can tell. Might try going slightly higher and see how that works out.

Not planning on sending any huge jumps on my still very light XC bike, but I also want it to be supportive should I come across some 3-4' drops unexpectedly.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Leduke what was your pressure on the dps? We are both the same weight and i have been running 150psi on the sniper xc

Formerly of Kent
    Leduke what was your pressure on the dps? We are both the same weight and i have been running 150psi on the sniper xc

155-160.
    Death from Below.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a couple of rides on my DPX2 now. The shock I purchased (from DrewBird) came off an Evil Following MB. It's different.
    I just sent mine in to be re-tuned to match the Trail tune of the original DPS. The DPX2 always felt a little bit overdamped in the compression stroke.

I'm 143lbs, and at 11-12mm/25% sag I'm at 235psi, as best I can tell. Might try going slightly higher and see how that works out.
    That is a lot of pressure, and will put you outside the optimal anti squat region of the suspension. Chain forces will pull the suspension down with every pedal stroke, leaving you wishing for even firmer suspension or a lockout. I weigh 180lbs and run 200psi, it puts me at around 33% sag, where the supension pedals so well you don't need the lockout.

mtbr member
    I don't stop to take many pictures but this bike is pretty awesome. I've been very impressed so far. About 300 miles into its life. I was on a 2017-20 scalpel and the sniper is faster in everything. I love how it can just be charged into hairy sections and it just stays composed. Been getting a lot of new pr's and some kom's on sections I have ridden a lot. Still tuning it in but I would be comfortable racing on it now.

Intense Sniper-20200419_134629.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    HI FROM A NEW MTBR POSTER AND A QUICK QUESTION FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE A SNIPER, ON SETUP:

Hi. Now that I have your attention... I'm an old guy, lifelong cyclist. In high school and college I wrenched in a couple shops and at Jamis, and later wrote for Mountain Bike Action and managed a team. Raced BMX in the 80s, then in the 90s did the odd road race, dual slalom (remember those?) one DH (no thanks!) and several seasons as a sponsored expert doing XC in the old NORBA days.

In 2005 I had a really bad road crash that broke my skull and left me with some hefty medical bills, and then got married and become a dad. The usual story. I never stopped riding, but it became commuting and some fun rides on weekends occasionally, and I loved seeing the ever-present cuts and scrapes heal, the legs get hairy, the belly growing into maturity.

With the kid no longer being little, I got back into riding a bit more, and got a 2018 BMC Fourstroke, which I loved but a lowlife grabbed it off my back porch when I went inside for food and chain lube. Caught on security camera, but he flipped the bike for quick cash and there's little hope of recovering it. Thankfully my job is really secure even in coronavirus time, so I whipped out the credit card and ordered a Sniper with the second set of wheels they're offering.

The customer service has been outstanding asking questions, but I know with any complicated gizmo there can be problems. In terms of setting up a new bike, what are some things I should know about the Sniper? I'm a fairly competent mechanic after several years doing it back in the stone age, but I'm not as savvy with modern bikes. Any tips on making sure the suspension pivots are torqued right in particular? And trouble spots to be aware of? I'm 5-10.5 and about 165, and in my 50s I will not be launching it off any major jumps, so not an abusive rider. I still will ride pretty much anything, but I do keep the wheels closer to the ground than I did in my 20s and 30s.

I figure if I up my commutes and occasional fun rides into anything resembling my old training torture I can get maybe half my technical skills back, and have fun in the Grouchy Old Men class at some races next year, wobbling through the rock gardens and complaining about Millenials. Thank you all for any advice ya can give!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ericzero View Post
    HI FROM A NEW MTBR POSTER AND A QUICK QUESTION FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE A SNIPER, ON SETUP:

Hi. Now that I have your attention... I'm an old guy, lifelong cyclist. In high school and college I wrenched in a couple shops and at Jamis, and later wrote for Mountain Bike Action and managed a team. Raced BMX in the 80s, then in the 90s did the odd road race, dual slalom (remember those?) one DH (no thanks!) and several seasons as a sponsored expert doing XC in the old NORBA days.

In 2005 I had a really bad road crash that broke my skull and left me with some hefty medical bills, and then got married and become a dad. The usual story. I never stopped riding, but it became commuting and some fun rides on weekends occasionally, and I loved seeing the ever-present cuts and scrapes heal, the legs get hairy, the belly growing into maturity.

With the kid no longer being little, I got back into riding a bit more, and got a 2018 BMC Fourstroke, which I loved but a lowlife grabbed it off my back porch when I went inside for food and chain lube. Caught on security camera, but he flipped the bike for quick cash and there's little hope of recovering it. Thankfully my job is really secure even in coronavirus time, so I whipped out the credit card and ordered a Sniper with the second set of wheels they're offering.

The customer service has been outstanding asking questions, but I know with any complicated gizmo there can be problems. In terms of setting up a new bike, what are some things I should know about the Sniper? I'm a fairly competent mechanic after several years doing it back in the stone age, but I'm not as savvy with modern bikes. Any tips on making sure the suspension pivots are torqued right in particular? And trouble spots to be aware of? I'm 5-10.5 and about 165, and in my 50s I will not be launching it off any major jumps, so not an abusive rider. I still will ride pretty much anything, but I do keep the wheels closer to the ground than I did in my 20s and 30s.

I figure if I up my commutes and occasional fun rides into anything resembling my old training torture I can get maybe half my technical skills back, and have fun in the Grouchy Old Men class at some races next year, wobbling through the rock gardens and complaining about Millenials. Thank you all for any advice ya can give!

If I could add on to your question about the pivot bearings. I called Intense CS to try and get some new pivot bearing end caps and was told I could not get them without getting the entire hardware kits. No way to get just the caps? Don't really want to spend $50 for them. And for us not mechanical folks it might be nice for an exploded view of how they go back together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter_b3 View Post
    If I could add on to your question about the pivot bearings. I called Intense CS to try and get some new pivot bearing end caps and was told I could not get them without getting the entire hardware kits. No way to get just the caps? Don't really want to spend $50 for them. And for us not mechanical folks it might be nice for an exploded view of how they go back together.
    Exploded diagram can be found in the user manuals. Here's a link to the site for easy access: https://intensecycles.com/pages/bikemanuals

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ericzero View Post

I don't think what you're looking for is dependent on age or riding style. Torque specs on the link bolts are etched on the caps and any others I would check the Owner's manual, please see this link for user manuals: https://intensecycles.com/pages/bikemanuals

The only trick piece to the suspension that you should be aware of is on the lower link hardware. The lower pivot bolt uses an expander cone. From the non-drive side you will remove the silver bolt (with a 5mm) then you will pop out the expander cone, this can be done with an allen wrench. Once that is removed you can then loosen or tighten the pivot bolt which will require an 8mm allen wrench. I would check this lower pivot bolt after the first couple of rides and then check it every couple of months after that. This is the only bolt that I've found to come loose on my Sniper.

The INTENSE website has some good tech videos with master mechanic, tech manager, and trail ripper Chappy: https://intensecycles.com/pages/techvideos

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Nice. Thank you Creativefletch.

Formerly of Kent
    What is the bushing size on Sniper’s shock? 19.05mm?

Can’t find it listed anywhere. My calipers suck.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Haven't been on here in a long while. Sniper is going strong and the official top link brace kit is a much nicer design than my own.

When I bought this frame (second hand, trail version) I immediately bought a 40mm stroke shock from an eBay seller and haven't tried the longer, trail version in it. But basically what I want to know is, now that I've got some downtime from racing, and I have the trail shock to use in the meantime, should I look at getting my XC shock tuned for the bike?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's probably the wrong tune to start with since it wasn't supplied with the bike. Is it just a matter of sending the shock into a tuner and stating the bike, rider and riding intentions?

Pic from backyard over the weekend

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Haven't been on here in a long while. Sniper is going strong and the official top link brace kit is a much nicer design than my own.

When I bought this frame (second hand, trail version) I immediately bought a 40mm stroke shock from an eBay seller and haven't tried the longer, trail version in it. But basically what I want to know is, now that I've got some downtime from racing, and I have the trail shock to use in the meantime, should I look at getting my XC shock tuned for the bike?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's probably the wrong tune to start with since it wasn't supplied with the bike. Is it just a matter of sending the shock into a tuner and stating the bike, rider and riding intentions?

Nice Looking Race Rig! The tune of the shock incorporates a couple different things; compression, rebound, volume spacers, lockout firmness.

On each shock we have created a custom tune with Fox that is optimized to the bike.

Sniper Trail Shock tune: DJNK
    Sniper XC Shock tune: DHRJ

You can put your four digit shock tune code in on Fox's website and get the run down of the shock: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike

For the Sniper Trail/T shock it will tell you:
    2018, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Trunnion Evol LV, Intense, Sniper Trail, 165, 45, 0.8 Spacer, LCM, LRM, CMF, YS 706/YS 953-1 Logo

For the Sniper XC shock it will tell you:
    2018, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Trunnion Evol SV, Intense, Sniper XC, 165, 40, DCM, DRM, CMF, YS 706/YS 953-1 Logo

The last part that shows YS numbers are just paint codes for decals. The important parts to look at for tuning on the XC will be "DCM, DRM, CMF"

DCM = Digressive Compression Medium
    DRM = Digressive Rebound Medium
    CMF = Firm Lockout

mtbr member
    Nice Looking Race Rig! The tune of the shock incorporates a couple different things; compression, rebound, volume spacers, lockout firmness.

On each shock we have created a custom tune with Fox that is optimized to the bike.

Sniper Trail Shock tune: DJNK
    Sniper XC Shock tune: DHRJ

You can put your four digit shock tune code in on Fox's website and get the run down of the shock: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike

2018, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Trunnion Evol LV, Intense, Sniper Trail, 165, 45, 0.8 Spacer, LCM, LRM, CMF, YS 706/YS 953-1 Logo

2018, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Trunnion Evol SV, Intense, Sniper XC, 165, 40, DCM, DRM, CMF, YS 706/YS 953-1 Logo

The last part that shows YS numbers are just paint codes for decals. The important parts to look at for tuning on the XC will be "DCM, DRM, CMF"

DCM = Digressive Compression Medium
    DRM = Digressive Rebound Medium
    CMF = Firm Lockout
    Thanks Creative!

Just looked mine up and got this so it looks pretty much on par. Wouldn't hurt to get it looked at after a years riding anyway. Cheers

Formerly of Kent

How do you like the XMC 1200s for your riding? They are at the top of my list for the next, final upgrade.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Creative!

Just looked mine up and got this so it looks pretty much on par. Wouldn't hurt to get it looked at after a years riding anyway. Cheers

I'm kinda clueless with shock settings, and for the life of me that fox "look up your shock" thing wont work, but I guess thats the info it would give me anyways... perfect. I have a 2019 Trail. Been trying to figure out what PSI to set it at. I'm about 162 pounds without gear. So the "45" on that chart is the shock travel, right? So you can use that to figure set the sag (so you'd want it roughly 11-13mm sag), is that right? What's the "165"?

Thanks, and sorry I'm clueless...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I'm kinda clueless with shock settings, and for the life of me that fox "look up your shock" thing wont work, but I guess thats the info it would give me anyways... perfect. I have a 2019 Trail. Been trying to figure out what PSI to set it at. I'm about 162 pounds without gear. So the "45" on that chart is the shock travel, right? So you can use that to figure set the sag (so you'd want it roughly 11-13mm sag), is that right? What's the "165"?

Thanks, and sorry I'm clueless...
    The 45 is shock stroke length. 165 is overall length of shock. I would recommend running closer to 25% sag on the Sniper and Sniper T/trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks Creative!

I would definitely have it serviced. With the canister of the shock being lower the seals dry out quicker and can cause issues. I will normally hang my bike up by the back wheel vertically overnight a couple times a month to let the oil soak onto the seals.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The 45 is shock stroke length. 165 is overall length of shock. I would recommend running closer to 25% sag on the Sniper and Sniper T/trail.
    Great, thanks!

mtbr member
    I would definitely have it serviced. With the canister of the shock being lower the seals dry out quicker and can cause issues. I will normally hang my bike up by the back wheel vertically overnight a couple times a month to let the oil soak onto the seals.
    Sounds like a plan. Might finally bolt on the trail shock that came with the bike and my 120mm Fox 34 and give the bike a try in a trail configuration while I get the current suspension overhauled

mtbr member
    How do you like the XMC 1200s for your riding? They are at the top of my list for the next, final upgrade.
    This is the 3rd bike I've had these one now and over the last couple of years they haven't needed touching. I've broken a few carbon wheels in the past, usually from a stupid mistake like landing on a sharp rock etc. No such misfortune with these so far lol

These are the 25mm id ones so perfect for XC 2.25 sized tires or 2.35 trail tyres. I'm curious about the new 2.4 XC tyres Maxxis is releasing but I think they are suited to a 30mm id width rim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    This is the 3rd bike I've had these one now and over the last couple of years they haven't needed touching. I've broken a few carbon wheels in the past, usually from a stupid mistake like landing on a sharp rock etc. No such misfortune with these so far lol

These are the 25mm id ones so perfect for XC 2.25 sized tires or 2.35 trail tyres. I'm curious about the new 2.4 XC tyres Maxxis is releasing but I think they are suited to a 30mm id width rim.
    The new Maxxis WT 2.4" tires are better suited on a 30mm ID rim. I'm a big fan of the WT on my Trail and Enduro bikes, kinda makes me wish I purchased the 28mm XCX wheels so I could run a 2.4WT up front on my Sniper. Oh well, I like keeping the tires skinny for those long easier rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hello all. I’m a bit baffled with my XC shock and could use some help. Fox just did warranty work for the 4th time in about 14 months. This time they supposedly made it “like new”. They admitted to not really fixing it the 2nd and 3rd time it blew out, which didn’t make me feel great...especially when it blew out in the middle of racing Moab Rocks last year. Anyway, I got it back and now I have to run about 215 PSI to have 25% sag. I weigh 173 lbs and always ran 170-180 PSI with the previous shocks. I called Fox and they said that as long as it’s working and holding air, it’s fine. Does anyone know why this shock requires so much air? Did they send me the wrong shock? How do I check if it’s the correct shock? I can’t say that it feels as good and consistent as the previous shock. Thanks for any insights you can offer.

mtbr member
    Jcjacob21, all things being equal i would say that they removed a air volume reducer.

Formerly of Kent

Cool. The other option I've been considering instead of the XMCs are the XRCs, but in 30mm front, 25mm rear. A wider, higher volume and more supportive rim up front and a lighter, more compact rim out back.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Le Duke, Ole, Drewbird or Fletch if you have any insight from the company standpoint:

I have the DPX2 from a Following MB on the bike right now. I want to see if you had the same experience I am having, although from Le Duke's post it sounds similar.

I weigh about 175 right now, but when I got the shock installed I was 180ish. I had to pump it up to 275psi to get roughly 28% sag.
    I went through travel pretty quick without hitting jumps. Never bottoming out but getting to 5mm left in stroke. If I hit small drops it would be the same outcome close to 5mm left in stroke. Ride was super firm and not that great feeling even though I was blowing through travel.

Dropped the PSI to 220 which gave me roughly 33% sag. Feels a little better, but still goes through 40mm of stroke without hesitation. Again, never bottoming even hitting jumps and drops.

Pedaling platform is great, but I think maybe it packs up a bit because it blows through travel so quick in the mid stroke, but then ramps like crazy somehow at the end since I am not using those last 5mm ever.

Other thing I can't figure out is balancing the suspension when hitting jumps. I feel like the rear end is trying to buck me while the front is barely coming up. It could definitely be operator error, but I don't have this problem on my other bikes.

Right now rebound on the shock is almost as slow as possible (which isn't helping the packing issue) and the fork is almost as fast as possible (not helping the wrists)

If you look at the tuning the rebound should act similar to the XC version shock. Which I don't have, so I don't know if this is how the XC version feels normally. I can't figure out the compression though because it is just CM, which I would assume is linear, but the Trail version has LCM for linear.

2019, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Trunnion, Evol LV, Evil, The Following V2, 165, 45, 0.6 Spacer, CM, DRM, Rezi A F M, Neutral Logo

Every time I adjust the PSI on the shock some blue/green grease seems to be leaking out the shrader valve. Is this normal?

Ole, why did you send it in to Fox or somewhere else? Is it worth it to have someone like Avalanche custom tune it? Basically doubles the price I paid for it.

Thanks

Formerly of Kent
    FWIW, I bought my DPX2 from DrewBird.

I'm having the exact same troubles you are.

I hit the local jump line and the shock was basically unrideable. I have some road rash on my left hip as a result. Also, on steep G-outs I can feel the bike getting sucked down. I'm pumping the shock up super high to get it to ~25% sag. 250+ psi.

That said, it is great for one thing, as is. Relatively small, repeated impacts for long stretches. It just keep on working, whereas the DPS in 100mm mode does not.

I'll probably end up sending it off to get tuned somewhere.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Duke, so you have the XC model? Why do you think the rebound is behaving differently between the two shocks if they have the same tune?

Still interested in what CM is, obviously Compression Medium, but Linear, Digressive, Progressive, etc.

Think this will do the trick?

FloatDPX2 SSD HSB Modifications

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Intense Sniper

Is there a way to tell if the shock has the XC or Trail tune? I’m suspecting Fox sent the trail tune instead of the XC tune the last time the rebuilt it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nope, you just have to trust that they did it right, which if you read a lot of threads sounds like that can often not be the case.

Also I don't think having the trail shock or tune would cause that increase in PSI to occur. My trail DPS shock was set up like yours was. For 170ish lbs I was running 170-175psi

Formerly of Kent
    Is there a way to tell if the shock has the XC or Trail tune? I’m suspecting Fox sent the trail tune instead of the XC tune the last time the rebuilt it.

Use the four letter/digit code on the shock. Enter it into the Fox code look up tool. On the left side at the link below.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That only tells you what is SHOULD be. This rider has already sent it in 4 times to get worked on. I think he is asking is there a way to tell if Fox F'ed up or not?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    After considering a Sniper for well over a year finally built one up. Build is a little different due to stealing some parts from my Kona Honzo (now rigid SS):

Intense Sniper-img_20200509_081055.jpg

Trail shock w/ brace
    120mm Pike w/ Avalanche cartridge
    11sp X01
    XX1 cranks
    160mm Bikeyoke Revive
    We Are One Insiders (27mm ID trail rim) w/ Berd spokes and DT240s
    2.6 Ikon front w/ insert
    2.3 XR2 rear w/ insert
    Parts bin stem and bars (Mt Zoom bars trapped in customs)
    XTR M9000 brakes - 180/160
    Xpedo pedals

Comes out to 25.2lb on my bathroom scale which per calcs should be about right. Finished building yest AM and got a quick 20mi in, initial impressions are that it's going to serve its purpose well. I wanted this as a bike for 50+ mi rugged races and general AZ riding when rigid SS won't cut it.

Front tire will definitely change to 2.35 Ikon or something, might lose the inserts too...carryover from the Honzo and not sure I need them with suspension. Only other note was that the M9000s felt like garbage, hoping they need a bleed and maybe metallic pads vs being that much worse than the Guides on my Honzo.

Has anyone done XC shock tune at 120mm? I think either that or just dropping to 100mm XC tune might be preferable for me for racing.

Formerly of Kent
    Duke, so you have the XC model? Why do you think the rebound is behaving differently between the two shocks if they have the same tune?

Still interested in what CM is, obviously Compression Medium, but Linear, Digressive, Progressive, etc.

Think this will do the trick?

FloatDPX2 SSD HSB Modifications
    Sorry for not responding to this.

Yes, I have the XC model, but running a 120mm SC up front.

I'd be interested in getting Avalanche or similar on the phone and talking about the tune. Truth be told, I'm really after the ride of the XC shock, but with 120mm travel in the rear, and the additional fade-resistance capability of a reservoir shock.

Right now, the amount of compression is just not acceptable.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry for not responding to this.

Yes, I have the XC model, but running a 120mm SC up front.

I'd be interested in getting Avalanche or similar on the phone and talking about the tune. Truth be told, I'm really after the ride of the XC shock, but with 120mm travel in the rear, and the additional fade-resistance capability of a reservoir shock.

Right now, the amount of compression is just not acceptable.
    Yep and I am looking for the ride of the trail shock with fade resistance. I find the trail setting is plenty firm for racing and pedaling, especially if you put it into pedal mode.

I am finding the compression and rebound not acceptable.

Probably taking it off today and will try to reach out to Avy.

Formerly of Kent
    Yep and I am looking for the ride of the trail shock with fade resistance. I find the trail setting is plenty firm for racing and pedaling, especially if you put it into pedal mode.

I am finding the compression and rebound not acceptable.

Probably taking it off today and will try to reach out to Avy.
    Truth be told I'd be fine with it tuned to either the XC or Trail tune for the Sniper. As is, tuned to the Following MB, it doesn't work for me. Like you, I'm back on my XC shock.

Let me know what Avalanche says.

I might be sending my fork off to Durango to have a Runt installed and my damper tuned to my weight, so I might see what DSD can do with the DPX2 as well.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Truth be told I'd be fine with it tuned to either the XC or Trail tune for the Sniper. As is, tuned to the Following MB, it doesn't work for me. Like you, I'm back on my XC shock.

I might be sending my fork off to Durango to have a Runt installed and my damper tuned to my weight, so I might see what DSD can do with the DPX2 as well.
    DPX2 is off, DPS is back on. Bummed because i wanted some performance upgrade, but dammit a reservoir shock just looks cooler, and that is what I am about!

Good news is that my bike weighed in at 10.85kg or 23.9lbs with 2 bottle holders, multi tool, co2, tube, levers, bag, and pedals. Not too shabby

Craig got back to me today and made it sound like the DPX2 in general is not a good shock for the Sniper because of the high amounts of progressiveness of the frame and the lack of tuning afforded by the shock. I sent an email back to see clarify if it isn't worth him working on it or just as is it is not a good shock. I might call him up tomorrow or later this week. I will follow up.

Let me know what you think about the Runt and what DSD says.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    trmn8er can you post pics and build specs of your Sniper weight Primer build?? I have the 2019 primer and as tempting as an upgrade to the sniper is, I am feeling like a lighter build in the 115mm rear shock postition can have the primer pedaling just as efficiently as the Sniper T. And honestly I prefer the 67.5 HTA of the primer to the over-slacked sniper anyway. Would love to see what you've done to lighten the load

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Intense Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAntelope View Post
    trmn8er can you post pics and build specs of your Sniper weight Primer build?? I have the 2019 primer and as tempting as an upgrade to the sniper is, I am feeling like a lighter build in the 115mm rear shock position can have the primer pedaling just as efficiently as the Sniper T. And honestly I prefer the 67.5 HTA of the primer to the over-slacked sniper anyway. Would love to see what you've done to lighten the load
    I have posted a bunch of pics but here are a couple more. And would tend to agree that the older generation Primer is more XC than the Sniper T, especially when you add a 34 SC fork and it can be very similar in weight. Also, the seat tube is 2 degrees steeper on the older Primer than a Sniper T. The Flat-force stem gave me just a bit more room, and more aggressive for getting me in the position I'm used to coming from XC whips. Depending on what you are after, yes, the older Primer is pretty XC when setup accordingly. The Sniper T is cool and all and I have a buddy who just got one. The Sniper T seat tube is pretty slack for my preferred power position. I'll list a few changes only vs a stock Primer Pro that I have made so far. Hope this gives you some ideas but if you are starting with a 2019 Primer it may be a different path and result and I'm unsure their frame is the SL. I'm no expert on that newer gen Primer and how it is different, but I seem to remember it's considerably slacker too.

2017 Primer Pro size Large
    Renthal Carbon Lite 740 mm bar -45
    ESI chunky grips -45
    Shimano XTR race pedals
    32T DM XX1 ring -10
    Tubeless -?
    Carbon cage
    Garmin mount
    Bontrager Montrose Pro seat (VERY nice, stock seat is an anchor) -120
    Kabolt axle -30
    Magura MT7 brakes, Magura SL rear, HC front rotors +100, worth every gram
    Roval Traverse SL wheels, DT 240 based, 54t, 30 mm internal -265
    Bike Yolk Revive 125 dropper -40
    Syntace Flat-force stem, 66 mm, -15.5
    Fast trak control case 2.3, Renegade 2.3 rear, both new compound -?? but a lot

26.72 lb with pedals ready to ride, a little under 26 lbs sans pedals and mount. I wanted strong wheels and could have saved weight here but at a little over 200 lbs I needed it. Brakes too worth every gram and still light

Next up: XX1 Dub 32T cranks -110
    Fox 34 SC 51 -200
    Final weight approx: 25.95 lbs with pedals, cage and mounts. Sniper T size Large stock w same pedals and mount right around 26.7, so yeah the Primer can be a bit lighter than a stock Sniper T w carbon wheels if mods are made. I would suggest the Primer is actually more XC than the Sniper T and will have a 68 degree HTA, and steeper ST. Can you make the Sniper lighter? Sure. But your dealing with an NM frame, not the SL like the Primer. I was really hot for a Sniper Trail, but not as much the T. Even the new Primer has moved slacker and that's just not what I wanted so I'm super happy to keep the older gen Primer and keep tweaking it. Kind of cool to have a 26 lb. trail bike ready to ride.

Intense Sniper-img_9059.jpg

Intense Sniper-img_9240_1.jpg
    Last edited by trmn8er; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Some more notes after getting a few rides in on my newly assembled 2019 Sniper Trail. First, the thing is going to be perfect for my use...it is fast as hell up and down in the chunky terrain I like to ride. I bested a ~40min segment of rough up and down on South Mountain in PHX by roughly 10% the other day, definitely new bike excitement playing a role, but something I couldn't have done on the several pretty wide-ranging bikes I've ridden up there. It is more confidence inspiring than any bike of this category should be.
    Can't wait to get things fully dialed cockpit, suspension, and tire settings-wise as it'll only get better.

Negatives - coming from my Kona Honzo, I definitely would prefer a ~1-2* steeper seat tube. Going to play with things a bit more to get the saddle a little further forward, but I'm already out of adjustment on the current saddle.

Also, although I'd consider this an acceptable compromise at the light weight of the frame, flex in the rear end is pretty apparent even under my 150lb. This is with the Intense brace installed. It isn't bothersome on the trail so much as slightly disconcerting on the road en-route to trail (literally thought I had a flat at one point), but I think I'd be considering something different or the T model if I were 175+lb. Will be interesting to see if this results in any further issue.

Overall, couldn't be happier to have finally pulled the trigger on the thing, I think it will serve me well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Some more notes after getting a few rides in on my newly assembled 2019 Sniper Trail. First, the thing is going to be perfect for my use...it is fast as hell up and down in the chunky terrain I like to ride. I bested a ~40min segment of rough up and down on South Mountain in PHX by roughly 10% the other day, definitely new bike excitement playing a role, but something I couldn't have done on the several pretty wide-ranging bikes I've ridden up there. It is more confidence inspiring than any bike of this category should be.
    Can't wait to get things fully dialed cockpit, suspension, and tire settings-wise as it'll only get better.

Negatives - coming from my Kona Honzo, I definitely would prefer a ~1-2* steeper seat tube. Going to play with things a bit more to get the saddle a little further forward, but I'm already out of adjustment on the current saddle.

Also, although I'd consider this an acceptable compromise at the light weight of the frame, flex in the rear end is pretty apparent even under my 150lb. This is with the Intense brace installed. It isn't bothersome on the trail so much as slightly disconcerting on the road en-route to trail (literally thought I had a flat at one point), but I think I'd be considering something different or the T model if I were 175+lb. Will be interesting to see if this results in any further issue.

Overall, couldn't be happier to have finally pulled the trigger on the thing, I think it will serve me well.
    Interesting that you are having noticeable flex WITH the brace. I am 175lbs right now and have not noticed any flex. I have been taking it on our local flow trail and hitting doubles and table tops with no issues.

If it can handle South Mountain I think it can handle 90% of trail out there, especially if you are taking it on Geronimo, etc.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    That only tells you what is SHOULD be. This rider has already sent it in 4 times to get worked on. I think he is asking is there a way to tell if Fox F'ed up or not?
    Well, if it rides like $hit, isn't it obvious?

Just buy an Ohlins and be done with it.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hi All...

I have a six month old (not much used over winter) Sniper XC. All has been good, other than setting sag and fiddling a bit with rebound damping, I haven’t paid it too much attention – it’s just worked.

However, two nights ago I locked it out for the 3 mile ride to the trails, unlocked as I got there and…pffffft. Lost virtually all air pressure. Rode home on the almost bottomed out shock as there was still a tiny bit of pressure in there.

Pumped it up when I got back, it held fine overnight and then for the ride I did last night. Obviously did a lot of fiddle with the 3 position lever to see if the issue would re-occur. It didn't.

Is this a known thing? Unsure how to proceed at the moment as I can’t reproduce it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by branes View Post
    Hi All...

I have a six month old (not much used over winter) Sniper XC. All has been good, other than setting sag and fiddling a bit with rebound damping, I haven’t paid it too much attention – it’s just worked.

However, two nights ago I locked it out for the 3 mile ride to the trails, unlocked as I got there and…pffffft. Lost virtually all air pressure. Rode home on the almost bottomed out shock as there was still a tiny bit of pressure in there.

Pumped it up when I got back, it held fine overnight and then for the ride I did last night. Obviously did a lot of fiddle with the 3 position lever to see if the issue would re-occur. It didn't.

Is this a known thing? Unsure how to proceed at the moment as I can’t reproduce it.
    I'd check to make sure the schrader valve in the air port is tight and that air can is screwed on all the way and didn't back off a bit. If those check out, probably do an air can service. The air can kit is about $15 and easy to do.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi All...

I would do what gasman said, but then if the schrader valve is all good I would call Fox and see what they say before servicing your air can.

Until then ride with a shock pump just in case.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone happen to have one or two of the Trunion mount shoulder bolts laying around for some reason that they don't want?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm getting a knocking/creaking noise on my Sniper T anytime I pedal with a fair amount of power. It happens both in and out of the saddle and with both sides of the pedal stroke. I'm nearly certain it's coming from the rear end.

I've loosened, cleaned, and re-torqued all pivot bolts to spec. Pulled cranks and cleaned them.

It almost seems like I'm getting some flex during the hard pedal strokes and the knocking sound is happening then. I'm 6'3" 205 lbs and a pretty strong rider, for what it's worth.

Any ideas on other things to check?

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Clutch on the RD.

Cassette/free hub interface.

Chainring/crank interface.

Pedals.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Spoke tension. My Primer has the same issue right now. Even though you’re not that heavy it happens and wheel tension should be checked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yet another Fox DPS issue q, anyone experience the switch not staying in the trail setting? I initially thought it was user error, but if I go locked->trail it often resets itself to locked and if I go open->trail it opens back up.

Frustrating when it seems trail mode would be decent for most stuff.

Formerly of Kent
    That’s a well known issue with the DPS in general. Happened on my Yeti.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for the heads up, yep sounds pretty prevalent! The more I read about Fox service and general performance issues the more it surprises me...having done dampers on Indycars for a few years I can confidently say the service/build process itself is far from rocket science.

I mean how do you do bike forks for so many years and then ship the SC34 that the target user group (read: not 275lb) all seems unhappy with out of the box?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Peepers View Post
    I'm getting a knocking/creaking noise on my Sniper T anytime I pedal with a fair amount of power. It happens both in and out of the saddle and with both sides of the pedal stroke. I'm nearly certain it's coming from the rear end.

I've loosened, cleaned, and re-torqued all pivot bolts to spec. Pulled cranks and cleaned them.

It almost seems like I'm getting some flex during the hard pedal strokes and the knocking sound is happening then. I'm 6'3" 205 lbs and a pretty strong rider, for what it's worth.

Any ideas on other things to check?

Don’t forget the ol BB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I had the same issue on my 4 month old bike that I don't ride during the winter. Did all the things you did. My LBS suggested I take my clipless pedals off and run flats for a demo ride stating that when cleats wear they can give that annoyance.

Still had the problem and took it to the shop reserved to getting a Chris King BB and be done with it. After hanging out for about 20 minutes the mechanic brought out my bike and said take it for a ride. I did, hammered in and out of the saddle, as quiet as the day I bought it. Asked what he did and he replied "I tightened your rear thru axle..."

Embarrassed and red faced I slipped him a twenty and asked if this could stay between him and I. LOL. Not saying this is your case but clean, re-grease and re-torque your rear axle.

I know its a lot of jibber jabber to suggest something, I must be chatty this morning...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think the knocking is fixed, based on a driveway test. It seems to have been coming from the cassette/freehub.

Loving the Sniper T btw. I have about 350 miles on it so far. It seems to pedal much more efficiently than the Specialized Camber I'd been riding.

mtbr member
    Hi All...

I had this issue with my 2019 Sniper XC; initially the shock was losing air slowly, so I sent the shock back to Fox, they replaced seals, returned it, the issue came back after a few months and got worse. On the second return to Fox, they told me that the shock was totaled due to scratching/damage to both damper and main shafts caused by side-load during compression. WTF?

The issue is that the shock trunnion is mounted to the upper link. This means that flex from the rear of the bike is transmitted directly to side-to-side twisting of the shock body. Basically the flexy rear end of the Sniper was trying to fold the shock in half during compression, leading to lots of scoring of the shock shafts.

Looking at other designs, I don't know of another bike with a suspension layout like the Sniper's, i.e. one that uses a trunnion shock mounted in line with the seat stays with the trunnion connected to the link. I think there's a reason this isn't usually done, as I discovered.

What can you do? Reduced rear end flex should help, so mount the cross-brace if you haven't. I would not expect this to be an issue with the Sniper T due to its stiffer rear triangle. Also, closely check your shock for any scoring in the Kashima coat on the shaft. This would occur on the sides of the shaft, and would be most obvious around sag. See photo for what mine looked like.

Intense Sniper-img_0001.jpg

mtbr member
    Is there any way to get the new Sniper trail rear triangle in the camo for us owners that bought the original Trail versions? Willing to buy, but would like it to match...
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    May 2012

I still haven't had a chance to talk to Craig yet. Tried calling and no one picked up cause I assume they were busy.

He did send an email though and said the bike would benefit from a DPS Evol. So basically he has said that the stock DPS is a preferred shock and the DPX2 isn't good for it. Still going to talk to him if I get a chance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is there any way to get the new Sniper trail rear triangle in the camo for us owners that bought the original Trail versions? Willing to buy, but would like it to match...
    They already said that wouldn't happen. I get why, but I also think they could have done it as a special order, no refund, that way they don't get stuck with triangles they can't sell.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What specifically did you do to the hub/cassette fix it? I'm having a similar issue with the knocking under heavy pedaling and can't seem to locate/fix it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Peepers View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think the knocking is fixed, based on a driveway test. It seems to have been coming from the cassette/freehub.

Loving the Sniper T btw. I have about 350 miles on it so far. It seems to pedal much more efficiently than the Specialized Camber I'd been riding.
    What specifically did you do to the hub/cassette fix it? I'm having a similar issue with the knocking under heavy pedaling and can't seem to locate/fix it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I still haven't had a chance to talk to Craig yet. Tried calling and no one picked up cause I assume they were busy.

He did send an email though and said the bike would benefit from a DPS Evol. So basically he has said that the stock DPS is a preferred shock and the DPX2 isn't good for it. Still going to talk to him if I get a chance.
    Talked to Craig at length today. Basically said DPX2 is not a tunable shock and that it isn't good on progressive frames like the Sniper (or the Following). Said the DPS is more tunable and can be made to feel better than the stock version with the HSB setup.

I could go on and on, but we had a 40 min convo about all of this. One thing of note that he said is that the reservoir and additional oil in a DPX2 is not what is helping with heat management and the feeling of packing etc. He said it is all about the air spring. As the heat build in the air can the air expands thus filling the can with more pressure and the harsh feeling because the air spring is now at a higher spring rate. The oil is more for the damping system. This all makes sense since I know that a coil is better in this regard because it is not dependent on temps or elevation and still has oil for its damping. I guess I just never slowed down to think about it.

He claimed that his system will improve on the stock DPS because not only will the damping be more tuned to the bike, but it will allow the air can volume reducer to go from a .6 to at least a .4 and possibly .2. He said this will help with the heating because you now have more air in the can so it takes longer to heat up and will extend the life of the shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Talked to Craig at length today. Basically said DPX2 is not a tunable shock and that it isn't good on progressive frames like the Sniper (or the Following). Said the DPS is more tunable and can be made to feel better than the stock version with the HSB setup.

I could go on and on, but we had a 40 min convo about all of this. One thing of note that he said is that the reservoir and additional oil in a DPX2 is not what is helping with heat management and the feeling of packing etc. He said it is all about the air spring. As the heat build in the air can the air expands thus filling the can with more pressure and the harsh feeling because the air spring is now at a higher spring rate. The oil is more for the damping system. This all makes sense since I know that a coil is better in this regard because it is not dependent on temps or elevation and still has oil for its damping. I guess I just never slowed down to think about it.

He claimed that his system will improve on the stock DPS because not only will the damping be more tuned to the bike, but it will allow the air can volume reducer to go from a .6 to at least a .4 and possibly .2. He said this will help with the heating because you now have more air in the can so it takes longer to heat up and will extend the life of the shock.
    Just read up a bit on his website, would you go with the "firmer pedal feel" option or standard and did you talk at all about the tradeoffs there?

I put an Avalanche cartridge in my Pike prior to install on my Sniper, feels really good, but I didn't get a good back to back because I went from 140mm stock Pike on my Honzo to 120mm Avalanche Pike on the Sniper. Likely want to get the DPS updated too, especially because it isn't too $$.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by agentdoubleOpoo View Post
    Turns out the noise is still there. As soon as I pedaled out of saddle on a hill, it came back. This is driving me crazy. I guess I'm going to take it in to the shop to see if they can find anything, as I don't know what else to try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    does anyone have pics of a 2020 sniper xc frame close up. Is the downtube intense decal white and then the toptube decals silver? Thanks in advance
    2019 yeti sb100
    2020 Specialized epic hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Just read up a bit on his website, would you go with the "firmer pedal feel" option or standard and did you talk at all about the tradeoffs there?

I put an Avalanche cartridge in my Pike prior to install on my Sniper, feels really good, but I didn't get a good back to back because I went from 140mm stock Pike on my Honzo to 120mm Avalanche Pike on the Sniper. Likely want to get the DPS updated too, especially because it isn't too $$.
    We didn't talk specifically about the two options, because I forgot that there was two. He did say that the SSD/HSB would allow the shock to sit higher in its travel and not wallow/use the middle of the travel unless needed, but still be supple and blow off at high speeds, hence the High Speed Blowoff.

I would assume that this would help the Sniper since it goes through the first 2/3 of its travel so quickly and then ramps up hard.

He is 6 weeks out right now on tunes so I have time to talk to them some more and make a decision. I want a better composed shock, but not at the price of pedaling efficiency. I also don't want a better pedaling platform at the cost of DH prowess. I bought this bike for improved DH handling.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hello all. I’m a bit baffled with my XC shock and could use some help. Fox just did warranty work for the 4th time in about 14 months. This time they supposedly made it “like new”. They admitted to not really fixing it the 2nd and 3rd time it blew out, which didn’t make me feel great...especially when it blew out in the middle of racing Moab Rocks last year. Anyway, I got it back and now I have to run about 215 PSI to have 25% sag. I weigh 173 lbs and always ran 170-180 PSI with the previous shocks. I called Fox and they said that as long as it’s working and holding air, it’s fine. Does anyone know why this shock requires so much air? Did they send me the wrong shock? How do I check if it’s the correct shock? I can’t say that it feels as good and consistent as the previous shock. Thanks for any insights you can offer.

So I know that I posted that I was running ~170psi for 170lbs, but that wouldn't have been correct. I was closer to 162lbs by the end of the season when I got the Sniper. I could have been running a little more as well.

Right now I am 165-170lbs and I am running 190psi and that is putting me at ~30% sag. So 215psi might be about right to get to 25% sag.

I like the bike at 30% so maybe try that out. I don't come close to bottoming it ever so its not an issue unless you don't like how it handles when climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just wanted to make a separate post. This bike rocks!!!

Did a bunch of climbing today and was thankful for 2 water bottles in the frame.

Hit a fast flow trail with plenty of jumps. Bike is so light and poppy it just airs out much more than my trail and enduro bikes that are coil. Never came close to bottoming and felt composed.

No noticeable flex. Obviously not as stiff as my bigger bikes, but it weighs 8lbs less.

This bike is awesome!!!

Insert Sh%@ eating grin emoji

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Broken (Ti?) Torx nut

So... after almost 3 months on my Sniper T Expert, I thought I'd give the bike a run-thru to make sure every nut and bolt was tight. I payed special attention to the suspension, since there's some side-to-side play in my rear wheel and I wanted to make sue this wasn't caused by the suspension (as happened to me on a different bike).

In any case, I managed to completely break the torx bolt that holds the cross-brace link in place (see pics below). I believe it's a titanium bolt? I was using the Intense-supplied torque wrench, so this was not an issue of applying too much force. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before...

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else? Any ideas why this happened? Are Ti bolts weaker than the regular kind? Is this a titanium bolt? And most importantly: is this fixable, i.e., will my LBS be able to remove the broken bolt?

Thanks

Intense Sniper-20200528_082412.jpg

Intense Sniper-20200528_082351.jpg

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast