Intense Sniper - Page 12- Mtbr.com
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 2,201 to 2,239 of 2239

Thread: Intense Sniper

mtbr member
    May 2012
    DB,

Is the stiffness of the Sniper T noticeable compared to the original Sniper Trail WITH the cross brace, or are they comparable?

mtbr member
    I feel the T is noticeably stiffer than the XC+brace, though there are so many variables (wheel/tire choice, suspension setup, trail condition and ride intent etc) that it's hard to make a definitive call. Placebo effect is real, so maybe it's just my belief.

I will say that based on the super-non-scientific test of grabbing the rear wheel and railing it back and forth while observing flex at seat stays, the T is a bit stiffer. Scale of 1-10, I'd say original XC is a 2, XC+brace is a 7, T is a 9 and comparable to my Ripmo.

The Sniper T has a different layup, and this is particularly noticeable in the rear triangle. On the T, the gap below the tabs that connect to the top link is filled in. On the XC, those tabs can flex noticeably relative to each other, but that flex is gone in the T.

I'm 6'3"/190 and ride a lot of pretty techy and steep trails, so entirely possible the difference is irrelevant to other riders. I always felt like the XC kind of shuddered when landing drops or pushing hard through rough turns, like the frame would torque up then spring back. None of that feeling on the T.

I think the T is a great XC race and general downcountry bike for someone my size. Realistically a bike designed to be as light as possible for a 150lb WC racer is always going to a compromise for us larger guys. More than happy to have an extra pound of frame weight in exchange for much better stiffness and durability. Your view of this tradeoff may be different!

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Padrefan, nice write-up. Just curious, which axle did you snap? I’ve had more than my share of issues with the Sniper linkage but never did an axle.
    DB--It was the pivot axle right above the BB--which is part #7 on the exploded diagram (the "Axle Upper", I believe). I have a feeling that it just wasn't tightened to spec... one of those things I should have checked, and didn't on the rush to build up.

I was also able to hit the 'steepest' element on the semi-legal local trails and the Sniper wasn't the issue at all. Super excited to get it up to Tiger Mountain and Raging River.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Congrats! Grab one of these: https://intensecycles.com/collection...er-cross-brace

and enjoy your new ripper of a bike.

Info for European customers:
    I am in third warranty replacement of upper link, so I asked to European Technical Service for the cross brace.
    The answer is that cross brace is not available in Europe, so I have to order it directly to Intense USA (they told me the email address).
    I contacted by email, Intese´s service confirmed me that I have to purchase it (42$, including the shipment) and they are going to sent it from Taiwan to Spain.
    So, when it arrived to Spain, as the shipment comes from Taiwan, I have to pay duty taxes for Europe´s imports, which is 27€ (30$ extra).

Very good customer service Intense Cycles (Ironic mode ON).

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_averias View Post
    Info for European customers:
    I am in third warranty replacement of upper link, so I asked to European Technical Service for the cross brace.
    The answer is that cross brace is not available in Europe, so I have to order it directly to Intense USA (they told me the email address).
    I contacted by email, Intese´s service confirmed me that I have to purchase it (42$, including the shipment) and they are going to sent it from Taiwan to Spain.
    So, when it arrived to Spain, as the shipment comes from Taiwan, I have to pay duty taxes for Europe´s imports, which is 27€ (30$ extra).

Very good customer service Intense Cycles (Ironic mode ON).
    This in infuriating and unbelievably short sighted. It should be a no-brainer for the European office and Intense. They must give out a brace to anyone who has problems with the link instead of sending link after link after link. There is no scenario where it is sound business practice to make a faulty product, then make a fix, and then not supply this free of charge to all customers. The Norwegian distributor where I got mine, got so fed up with all the red tape and hoops their customers had to go through every time a link failed, and ended up demanding Intense just send them one brace per sold bike, and let Intense solve their logistics/warranty red tape internally after the fact. And so it was done. No reason for any distributors or customers to be humble about this, demand what should have been there from the start.

mtbr member
    Intense seems to screw there customers and dealers without any remorse......No remorse means they don't have regrets for their actions, normally in conjunction with something they've done or were involved in.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    Intense seems to screw there customers and dealers without any remorse......No remorse means they don't have regrets for their actions, normally in conjunction with something they've done or were involved in.
    As I’ve said before on this thread, I’ve had nothing but positive interactions with Intense’s (USA) customer service. AFAIK the current policy in the US is that if you have problems with your Sniper upper link (e.g. loose bearings) they will warranty the link and also send you a cross-brace, all free.

My frustrations with the linkage and bearings on the first-gen Sniper XC were numerous (read back through this thread if you have time to kill.) Intense was generally really good to me, always responsive and sent a bunch of replacement parts in a timely manner. You can call or email and get a real person who knows what they’re talking about and will follow up with you. Chappy has been great to deal with.

With all that said, I agree with Ole that the best way to handle the cross brace would’ve been to just send one to anyone who purchased a gen-1 bike. Maybe there’s some liability issue that made that option unpalatable; they make the brace an “upgrade” rather than a recall/admission of fault.

mtbr member
    they make the brace an “upgrade” rather than a recall/admission of fault.
    So that would be a way to once again screw there customer?
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    This in infuriating and unbelievably short sighted. It should be a no-brainer for the European office and Intense. They must give out a brace to anyone who has problems with the link instead of sending link after link after link. There is no scenario where it is sound business practice to make a faulty product, then make a fix, and then not supply this free of charge to all customers. The Norwegian distributor where I got mine, got so fed up with all the red tape and hoops their customers had to go through every time a link failed, and ended up demanding Intense just send them one brace per sold bike, and let Intense solve their logistics/warranty red tape internally after the fact. And so it was done. No reason for any distributors or customers to be humble about this, demand what should have been there from the start.
    The cross brace can be requested by all customers. As mentioned in the cross brace thread all that has to be done is to submit a warranty claim. This process allows us to track the claim and be in contact with customers about the cross brace and make sure that there are no further issues.

Our European office is currently being restructured and we are working on providing more support from our US headquarters for that office. This will include a larger selection of inventory and more customer service representation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    So that would be a way to once again screw there customer?
    No, that would be a way that all claims can be tracked by both the customer and INTENSE to provide - 1. Better products 2. A better line of communication to customers

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Then why list it for sale if its a warranty issue?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Then why list it for sale if its a warranty issue?
    It is not a warranty issue, but a claim must be submitted, this is done through the same form. Crash replacements go through the same claim process.

mtbr member
    I think the official party line from Intense is that there is no design flaw with the original Sniper top link, and that many riders may be perfectly happy with the bike without the cross brace. If you are one of these riders but decide to “upgrade” to more stiffness, you can buy the brace.

If you DO experience an issue with the top link, Intense will warranty it and provide a cross brace. But they stop short of saying “original top link is crap, everyone should get a brace, and they’re free, just fill out this form.”

Personally I think this latter course would’ve been preferable, and more consistent with the facts. I went through 3 top links before getting the brace on my 2019 Sniper XC; they lasted about a week on average for me before the bearings developed massive play. That said, the loose bearings don’t make the bike unridable (just a noodle) and don’t pose any obvious safety risk. I guess Intense figures if you’re happy with a non-braced bike that’s fine, no need for a full-on recall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    The cross brace can be requested by all customers. As mentioned in the cross brace thread all that has to be done is to submit a warranty claim. This process allows us to track the claim and be in contact with customers about the cross brace and make sure that there are no further issues.

Our European office is currently being restructured and we are working on providing more support from our US headquarters for that office. This will include a larger selection of inventory and more customer service representation.

Hello Creativefletch,

I requested the cross brace after the third upper link replacement under warranty (of course I have all the emails to prove this). I had to pay for the brace (not problem with that), but I also have to pay the European´s duty taxes because the shipment comes from Taiwan.
    For what has Intense an European distributor or service?
    To me this make not sense and this is why I´m not happy with Intense service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_averias View Post
    Hello Creativefletch,

I requested the cross brace after the third upper link replacement under warranty (of course I have all the emails to prove this). I had to pay for the brace (not problem with that), but I also have to pay the European´s duty taxes because the shipment comes from Taiwan.
    For what has Intense an European distributor or service?
    To me this make not sense and this is why I´m not happy with Intense service.
    I tried 6 months to solve my problems with eu custom service, but no. After that i contacted straight to us custom service and my case took only 48h and all my problems was solved. So that is my tip to eu customers.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think the official party line from Intense is that there is no design flaw with the original Sniper top link, and that many riders may be perfectly happy with the bike without the cross brace. If you are one of these riders but decide to “upgrade” to more stiffness, you can buy the brace.

If you DO experience an issue with the top link, Intense will warranty it and provide a cross brace. But they stop short of saying “original top link is crap, everyone should get a brace, and they’re free, just fill out this form.”

Personally I think this latter course would’ve been preferable, and more consistent with the facts. I went through 3 top links before getting the brace on my 2019 Sniper XC; they lasted about a week on average for me before the bearings developed massive play. That said, the loose bearings don’t make the bike unridable (just a noodle) and don’t pose any obvious safety risk. I guess Intense figures if you’re happy with a non-braced bike that’s fine, no need for a full-on recall.
    According to Intense, only a very small % of Intense owners ever voiced a concern with the back end rigidity. So, most are happy/content with the original Sniper. This explains why Intense would not provide a cross brace to every Sniper owner.

I had an issue with mine, filed a claim and got a new brace free of charge. For US customers, Intense seems to have done a credible job satisfying their customers. Sounds like some issues in other countries need to be resolved.

mtbr member
    Trying to narrow down my 2019 xc choices. Which of the Sniper xc models come with the fit4 damper? Is it just the elite and pro builds? Then the expert and foundation models get the Grip damper?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I've been lusting after an Intense since I was a teenager, and after the Sniper since it came out a couple of years ago. After following this thread for some weeks I finally decided to pull the trigger, put in an order for the 2020 Sniper T Expert build, XL size. I'm 6'2" and this is my first "modern geo" bike, so hope it's not too big for me... I will be upgrading the drivetrain to the new XT 12-speed and eventually the brakes as well, but otherwise have no planned changes. Will post some pics when I get the bike.

The purpose is general XC and trail riding (more XC than trail), with occasional marathon-style racing. Perhaps a stage race too, if I can find the time to train for it. I figure if I do decide to get a bit more serious about the racing, and/or sign up for the stage race, I can always change the rear shock to go down to 100mm rear travel and firm up the suspension. Easy change and not too expensive; this is a multi-faceted bike like that.

I will be bringing the bike to Colombia, where I live. From everything I've read it will be perfect for our local trails, which consist mostly of giant climbs followed by giant descents. I've never seen an Intense bike here, either, which is part of the allure.

I can't wait for it to arrive!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    Trying to narrow down my 2019 xc choices. Which of the Sniper xc models come with the fit4 damper? Is it just the elite and pro builds? Then the expert and foundation models get the Grip damper?
    For 2019 Sniper XC Models the Factory, Elite, and Pro models come with Fox Factory 32SC 100mm Fork with Fit4 damper. The Expert level comes with a Fox Performance Elite 32SC 100mm Fork that will also come with the Fit4 damper (Performance Elite uses the same internals as the Factory). The Foundation model comes with a Fox Performance 32SC 100mm fork that comes with a GRIP damper.

The 2020 Sniper XC Expert build has a Fox Performance Elite 32SC 100mm Fork. The Pro and Elite models come with the Fox Factory 32SC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyenda View Post
    I've been lusting after an Intense since I was a teenager, and after the Sniper since it came out a couple of years ago. After following this thread for some weeks I finally decided to pull the trigger, put in an order for the 2020 Sniper T Expert build, XL size. I'm 6'2" and this is my first "modern geo" bike, so hope it's not too big for me... I will be upgrading the drivetrain to the new XT 12-speed and eventually the brakes as well, but otherwise have no planned changes. Will post some pics when I get the bike.

The purpose is general XC and trail riding (more XC than trail), with occasional marathon-style racing. Perhaps a stage race too, if I can find the time to train for it. I figure if I do decide to get a bit more serious about the racing, and/or sign up for the stage race, I can always change the rear shock to go down to 100mm rear travel and firm up the suspension. Easy change and not too expensive; this is a multi-faceted bike like that.

I will be bringing the bike to Colombia, where I live. From everything I've read it will be perfect for our local trails, which consist mostly of giant climbs followed by giant descents. I've never seen an Intense bike here, either, which is part of the allure.

I can't wait for it to arrive!
    Enjoy the new bike and post some pictures once you get it out on the trails in Columbia!

Quote Originally Posted by Leyenda View Post
    I've been lusting after an Intense since I was a teenager, and after the Sniper since it came out a couple of years ago. After following this thread for some weeks I finally decided to pull the trigger, put in an order for the 2020 Sniper T Expert build, XL size. I'm 6'2" and this is my first "modern geo" bike, so hope it's not too big for me... I will be upgrading the drivetrain to the new XT 12-speed and eventually the brakes as well, but otherwise have no planned changes. Will post some pics when I get the bike... I can't wait for it to arrive!
    I'm roughly your height--I'm running a 50mm stem, and 800mm bars, and with about 100 miles so far, its pretty spot on for me. You should love this bike. If you've got major descents, maybe upsize the rear rotor to 180mm.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I’ve had my Intense Sniper Trail since October or so. It was about the time they came out with the official cross brace. I ordered it and installed it within a week of getting the bike. I’ve enjoyed it immensely. Shortly after I bought the bike I noticed they were offering Free E*Thirteen Carbon Wheelsets With the remaining 2019 Snipers. I quickly contacted them and discovered I qualified! Woohoo. I finally got them last week. Install went great. I love them. My first Carbon wheelset. Kudos to Intense. Too good to be true!
    Last edited by jtstj; 1 Week Ago at 10:06 PM.

Sneaker man
    Side note, is anyone else having an issue where if you click on the "last post" button for this thread, it takes to a post about Di2 in the shimano forum...or just me?
    All the gear and no idea.

Sneaker man
    And now it's magically fixed... been doing it all day, and now it's not.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Good information. Thanks.

After reading more reviews of the Luftkappe, it definitely sounds like something that would improve the small bump sensitivity while also preventing bob or dive.
    Le Duke can you post up a pic or two of your bike showing the stem profile? Did you end up going 66? I have a 66 Flatforce on order for my Primer which is an XC build and as light as a Sniper T. I want to get a little lower over the front and think the 66 will stretch me out a little more too...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm josh View Post
    Hi,
    Im happy to add to the Sniper feedback.

I have ridden approx 800km on my Sniper trail SL.
    I weigh 83kg and 6ft 5"

Previous bike was V2 Ripley LS.
    Prior to that Rocky Mountain Vertex 990.

I would say i ride it fairly hard. Mostly top 5 black, Multiple KOMs on blue and green descents and multiple KOMs on 4min+ climbs if i lay it all down. These all have between 600 and 1000 riders to give you an idea.

I have had no bearing issues, or issues with the top link.

My only issue was a crack in the upright of the rear triangle which was replaced under warranty. I noticed it very early on as a paint crack and it kept growing. I would say it was a flaw in the manufacturing.

I do notice visible rear end flex when under power, but you will see that in all dual suspension bikes. I often swap bikes with a friends Trance Advance Pro 29 and it is, i would say about 20% stiffer visually, similar story with the Ripley.
    I have not felt the flex is an issue while riding any of these bikes however.

I would certainly like to try the brace to see if i can feel or see a difference when its released.

The sniper is far faster climbing and than either the Trance or the Ripley.
    It is also faster on green descents than either of those bikes especially if there is any sort of pedaling involved.
    Blue descents are about = on all bikes as long as they arent too chunky.
    Black rocky descents the Trance is most confidence inspiring as it has the 140mm front upgrade, the Ripley and Sniper are similar.
    If the blacks are not so chunky to overwhelm 120mm, all 3 bikes are similar times.

Both the Trance and Ripley outperform the Sniper in chunky terrain.

On a local full coarse lap of 20mins i would estimate the sniper to be faster than either the Trace Or Ripley by at least 2 mins (10%).

I ride the sniper in the open mode, and setting 1 low speed compression. Sometimes i play with setting 2 and 3 but i find the least amount of low speed compression dampening is fine. I think this bike has quite a high amount of anti-squat and that shows in not having to use the shock to control pedal input movements.
    The high anti-squat is not without its downside, which seems to come in the form of slightly more difficulty in pedaling through chunky terrain than the Trance or Ripley.
    It may have also contributed to a few sore ankles after a few heavy landings when i first got the bike. I believe this is because the high levels of anti-squat also have high levels of pedal kickback during compression's and this is something i wasn't used too.

I have been a little disappointing in Intense Australia customer service.
    I guess being a smaller company they have to watch the $$ a bit more before handing out replacements etc. I broke 2 Rocky Mountain frames and i just sent one lot of photos and a frame was on the way. Same story with friends who ride Giant with replacements there within a week.
    It took me 2 months to get the rear triangle after sending heaps of photos to Intense Australia.

So in summary i really like the bike and i think the trail version really hits a nice spot for the larger xc rider that uses a bit more travel during impacts than your regular 65kg whippet. I would happily race this bike for XC. It also makes a demon trail bike if your terrain is not super chunky or your happy to pick a line when it gets rowdy.
    If your strictly a trial rider and dont care about your times on the climbs, then you might be better off with something that has a little more weight in the frame and possibly a little more travel.

Josh
    I am the same height and weight as you with a 36” inseam. I don’t have an XL I can test. How is the fit? Are you still happy with the bike? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2019 while they’re still available. If you did it over would you opt for the new T or stick with the SL?

mtbr member
    I’m just a hair under 6’3” on an XL, so shorter than you. BB center to saddle top is 83cm for me. My only concern would be effective STA for a taller rider on the Trail (longer fork/slacker angles). For me at my height, with the saddle a bit forward on the rails, a plumb line from nose of my saddle is about 2” behind BB center. This works pretty well for me, though on steep climbs I could live with a slightly steeper STA. If you saddle is appreciably higher, the slack actual STA will put you further and further behind the BB.

Of course steep STA is not for everyone, and if you’re riding a lot of flat to rolling terrain or marathon stuff it might actually be annoying as it will put more weight on your hands.

If this is a concern you could check out the Norco Revolver. That thing has steeper and MUCH longer geometry than almost anything else in the segment, could be just the ticket for a tall guy.

I would also suggest the Sniper T with dual uprights for anyone over 160lbs or so. I’m more like 190 and ride hard, and had a ton of issues with the Sniper XC bearings. Now on the T and it’s noticeably stiffer.

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Le Duke can you post up a pic or two of your bike showing the stem profile? Did you end up going 66? I have a 66 Flatforce on order for my Primer which is an XC build and as light as a Sniper T. I want to get a little lower over the front and think the 66 will stretch me out a little more too...
    Sorry for the delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks much that stem looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Looking at the 2019 SL frame. Remaining inventory is the 1 bottle inside main frame for large. Wondering if 2 bottles have shoe clearance using the wolftooth b-rad. Looking at owner pictures in this thread I really can't tell. Is the mainframe cage mount too low for the side by side bottle?
    Looking at le dukes picture, I see his 2019 has the cage mount option under the down tube. One of my current frames has the same setup and I don't mind it. Simply swap top caps or the entire bottle at an aid station, but if the 2019 large could fit the wolftooth, it would be extra awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Sniper Trail Happiness

Love, love, loving my Sniper Trail. I know there's a lot of people having problems. I feel bad for them. Anything mass produced can and will have issues, but I haven't had any issues.

I would like to put on a bashguard, but which ones fit the Sniper Trail? They don't have the bolt holes I see so many bashguards use.. hrmp..

Intense Sniper-7mdwn3kbrpslj55ok0wr-qs_rbyij22jwwym9org1gw-1536x2048.jpgIntense Sniper-5afhorvzjuektzin6yvorqqdvrxrhzoihvxwgzcuohk-2048x1536.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    After looking at my frame, I'm fairly certain I could fit a 22oz and a 16oz bottle in it with a B-RAD.

Now, that's awfully close to a single 33oz Zefal, but it gives me options.
    Death from Below.

SPECIALizED
    After looking at my frame, I'm fairly certain I could fit a 22oz and a 16oz bottle in it with a B-RAD.

Now, that's awfully close to a single 33oz Zefal, but it gives me options.
    I think if you used a B-RAD 2 it would move the mounts up high enough to use their double bottle mount. I was lucky to get by with their Dogbone since shock placement already has my cage mounts high enough.

BTW I demoed a large Sniper over the weekend and it had double bottle mounts. I was able to stack two short bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo-McGurk View Post
    I would like to put on a bashguard, but which ones fit the Sniper Trail? They don't have the bolt holes I see so many bashguards use.. hrmp..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7Mdwn3KbrPslJ55ok0WR-Qs_RBYIJ22JWWYm9oRg1gw-1536x2048.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	1312287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5afhOrVZjUEktzIN6yvorqqdVrxRHzOiHVXWGzcuOhk-2048x1536.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	1312289
    One of my potential hang-ups was the lack of ISCG mounts to run frame-mounted bash guard. I'm 170 miles into mine, and I've gotten over it. I believe the best option would be to run a new crank spider (https://northshorebillet.com/product...m-x0-x9-cranks), and attach a bash guard to the outer chainring position. Thinking it would also require a new chainring based on your photo. It's probably not cheap: spider + chainring + bash.

Formerly of Kent
    I've only been riding mine gingerly down a few snow covered trails and FS roads thus far, and a good amount of road riding to dial in the fit. Got 300 miles on it now, and if I uncork 1100w, I can't feel any back end flex. Given the stories I'd read in this thread, I had been crossing my fingers that the brace fixed the rear end problems, and for me at least, it certainly appears to have done just that.

In other news, I should finish up my new front wheel tomorrow. I found a pretty good deal on an Extralite Hyperfront laced up to a 650b Stan's Crest. I unlaced that, and threw on the mate to my current rear wheel's rim (I bought two, only needed one when I built up the current rear). Should be under 600g with rim tape and valve.

I'll be using the Crest rim to build up a pair of light 650b wheels for my wife's gravel bike. Should make her rides with the dog on the local trail system a bit more comfortable.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've only been riding mine gingerly down a few snow covered trails and FS roads thus far, and a good amount of road riding to dial in the fit. Got 300 miles on it now, and if I uncork 1100w, I can't feel any back end flex. Given the stories I'd read in this thread, I had been crossing my fingers that the brace fixed the rear end problems, and for me at least, it certainly appears to have done just that.

In other news, I should finish up my new front wheel tomorrow. I found a pretty good deal on an Extralite Hyperfront laced up to a 650b Stan's Crest. I unlaced that, and threw on the mate to my current rear wheel's rim (I bought two, only needed one when I built up the current rear). Should be under 600g with rim tape and valve.

I'll be using the Crest rim to build up a pair of light 650b wheels for my wife's gravel bike. Should make her rides with the dog on the local trail system a bit more comfortable.
    I've like my Extralite wheelset- so far no issue- knock on wood.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo-McGurk View Post
    Love, love, loving my Sniper Trail. I know there's a lot of people having problems. I feel bad for them. Anything mass produced can and will have issues, but I haven't had any issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7Mdwn3KbrPslJ55ok0WR-Qs_RBYIJ22JWWYm9oRg1gw-1536x2048.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	1312287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5afhOrVZjUEktzIN6yvorqqdVrxRHzOiHVXWGzcuOhk-2048x1536.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	1312289
    Edit: Nevermind, needs a threaded BB according to MRP. I think you are SOL

You can try something like this. There are not really any pressfit bb mount bash guards out there. So buy this adapter, remove the bb spacer, attach your preferred bash guard, let us know if it worked.

https://www.jensonusa.com/MRP-BB-To-...waAlTxEALw_wcB

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I’m just a hair under 6’3” on an XL, so shorter than you. BB center to saddle top is 83cm for me. My only concern would be effective STA for a taller rider on the Trail (longer fork/slacker angles). For me at my height, with the saddle a bit forward on the rails, a plumb line from nose of my saddle is about 2” behind BB center. This works pretty well for me, though on steep climbs I could live with a slightly steeper STA. If you saddle is appreciably higher, the slack actual STA will put you further and further behind the BB.

Of course steep STA is not for everyone, and if you’re riding a lot of flat to rolling terrain or marathon stuff it might actually be annoying as it will put more weight on your hands.

If this is a concern you could check out the Norco Revolver. That thing has steeper and MUCH longer geometry than almost anything else in the segment, could be just the ticket for a tall guy.

I would also suggest the Sniper T with dual uprights for anyone over 160lbs or so. I’m more like 190 and ride hard, and had a ton of issues with the Sniper XC bearings. Now on the T and it’s noticeably stiffer.
    thanks for the advice. I measured bb center to saddle top on my Superfly ht and it’s 82cm, so slightly shorter than you’re Sniper. I’d probably set it a little higher if I was running a dropper but probably not much more than a cm. I do have my saddle set back closer to 4”. I demoed a Scott Spark recently which has a similar sta and it was fine climbing my local trails where the step climbs are relatively short.

Im familiar with the issues you’ve had with SL frame. I’m 180lbs and don’t race or ride hard. A 2019 frame/build is easier on the budget but I don’t want a bunch of headache just to save $500. Im wondering if the NM frame on the expert build is noticeably stiffer than the SL seeing its the same carbon layup and alloy lower link as the T. (I do prefer the colorway of the SL)

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mshynson View Post
    I am the same height and weight as you with a 36” inseam. I don’t have an XL I can test. How is the fit? Are you still happy with the bike? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2019 while they’re still available. If you did it over would you opt for the new T or stick with the SL?
    Gday Mshynson,
    Yes i am still happy with the Sniper SL trail, For me i fitted a 70mm stem get get correct reach. The fit is great for me. The only potential issue i can see some might have trouble getting the seat low enough if they have a 175mm dropper, for example i only have about 8mm of seat height adjustment.
    If i were doing it again i would still go with the 2019 SL and the cross brace as its quite a bit lighter, I added the cross brace a few months ago and there is a noticeable increase in stiffness. If i was riding chunkier terrain and not wanting to cover as much distance i would be fine with the a Sniper T

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112