Intense Sniper - Page 11- Mtbr.com
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 2,001 to 2,127 of 2127

Thread: Intense Sniper

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Thinking about picking up a Sniper Trail. I'm 5' 10" with 31.5" inseam. Would I be better off with a medium or large?
    Large

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'll 3rd the large. I'm just hair shorter than you and the large with a 50mm stem felt almost perfect for me, but I do prefer a bit more room on a bike for endurance riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I just ordered a 2020 Sniper XC Elite. $1200 extra for carbon rims hurt. Any opinions on the component changes on the build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well the first thing I would do is cancel your order. XC frame has no update so I would have ordered the 2019 and gotten 2 sets of carbon wheels for $500 less.

What I would do before that is order the 2019 Expert build and get 2 sets of wheels, one carbon and then buy a gravel or road bike with the $2500 I saved.

You could buy a 1295 cassette and a Factory 32 fork and still come out way ahead with basically the same bike as the Elite, plus an extra set of hoops.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You could also look at my post earlier in this thread that has a list of everything I changed on my Sniper T, but I would first do option 2 of above

Formerly of Kent
    My wife just bought me a 2019 XC. Picked up a NIB Fox 34 SC Factory Fit 4 for $550. Bought the brace, too.

Hoping for sub 23 with a dropper and Ikon/Rekon combo.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    My wife just bought me a 2019 XC. Picked up a NIB Fox 34 SC Factory Fit 4 for $550. Bought the brace, too.

Where did you get the fork? Iím looking for a 34SC too and that is a smokin deal

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Where did you get the fork? Iím looking for a 34SC too and that is a smokin deal

PM sent.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Sounds like a good wife. I believe my bike is right at 23# but that was a little more work than swapping tires. Size large

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Whoa! Many have been waiting to see what your picky, er, patient criteria of choosing a Yeti replacement would be. I say this with all due respect, but you're one of my favorite curmudgeonly online influencers, ha!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    PM sent.

Would you please PM me the info? I had a new in box SC34 via ebay for $500, but it was the wrong rake. Sold for tidy profit midsummer.

Oh, any hesitation on the 120 fork and the shorter reach and slacker STA?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    So T pro build is almost $6k and weight is 25.6 and has some GX and aluminum rims

T elite is $7000 and weight 25.0 with mostly XO1 and carbon wheels. Would think the weight would be a bit lower with the carbon hoops. Can't seem to find anything on the E Thirteen XCX carbon wheels. See other XCX components from them.
    Two width options: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...ce-wheels.html

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    Whoa! Many have been waiting to see what your picky, er, patient criteria of choosing a Yeti racebike would be. I say this with all due respect, but you're one of my favorite curmudgeonly online influencers, ha!
    I'm currently on an ASRc, which is getting pretty long in the tooth. I'm actually very surprised that the bike has survived this long, as I've ridden it pretty hard, and put on a few involuntary yardsales along the way. I'm going to take my time building up the Sniper, and will be reusing some of the parts from the ASRc. Will have to adjust the fit a bit as the stack is lower on the Intense, and the reach is 20mm longer.

So far, the planned parts are:

Intense Sniper XC (M) w/2020 linkage brace
    Fox 34 SC Factory Fit 4 w/Kabolt
    Some sort of BB92 to BB30 converter BB
    Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2 SRM power meter/crank
    XTR M9000 Race pedals
    SRAM XX1 11s shifter, derailleur, cassette
    SRAM Eagle XO1 chain
    Syntace Flatforce Stem (66 or 77mm)
    Syntace Vector Carbon 740mm Low 10
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    360g, 25.5/33.5mm (inner/outer width) rims, on Extralite Hyperfront IS + DT 240 IS rear hubs
    DT Swiss or J&L rear axle, depending on conditions
    Still need to find good 6 bolt brake rotors; been using XTR or Campy H11 centerlock
    Currently using a Specialized Command Post IRCC; might swap to 9point8 or BikeYoke Divine SL.
    Fizik Antares 00 saddle
    BioLite PowerLite Mini tail light (emergency headlight + power supply)
    Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    Would you please PM me the info? I had a new in box SC34 via ebay for $500, but it was the wrong rake. Sold for tidy profit midsummer.

Oh, any hesitation on the 120 fork and the shorter reach and slacker STA?
    Nah. Not super concerned about the STA change. Also, the reach will still be 20mm longer than my current ride, so bringing the bars back a touch won't be the worse thing in the world.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm currently on an ASRc, which is getting pretty long in the tooth. I'm actually very surprised that the bike has survived this long, as I've ridden it pretty hard, and put on a few involuntary yardsales along the way. I'm going to take my time building up the Sniper, and will be reusing some of the parts from the ASRc. Will have to adjust the fit a bit as the stack is lower on the Intense, and the reach is 20mm longer.

XTR M9000 Race pedals
    SRAM Eagle XO1 chain
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    360g, 25.5/33.5mm (inner/outer width) rims, on Extralite Hyperfront IS + DT 240 IS rear hubs
    Still need to find good 6 bolt brake rotors; been using XTR or Campy H11 centerlock
    Currently using a Specialized Command Post IRCC; might swap to 9point8 or BikeYoke Divine SL.
    Fizik Antares 00 saddle
    Nice! That will be a solid build. You should come in around 23# or slightly under with that crank and wheelset. I am actually about to order an XCX crank and that will drop my build under 23# by about 175g.

Edit: Didn't catch the Bike Yoke SL part and assuming Fall Line R?. Slightly lighter but at the cost of 50% less travel than the KS Ci for the BY. Fall line looks interesting.

For rotors I have a 180/160 Ashima AI2. I have used plenty of them on different bikes with no issues. Cheap, light, durable. Choose 3. I won't say they are the best, nor would I use them on a DH bike, but I have ran them on bikes that have done all the hard Moab trails with no issues
    Last edited by yourrealdad; 12-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Formerly of Kent
    Yeah, I have no problem using an Ashima Ai2 or similar on the rear, but I like the XTR I have on the front at the moment. Seems to help resist brake fade better than the Ai2 that I had on the front briefly.

Got my fork in yesterday. Weighed in at 1670g uncut. As I'm on the shorter side and like a very low stack height, I'm hoping to knock quite a bit of weight off when I trim the steerer tube. By my math, I'll remove 4.5g for every 1cm of steerer I cut off.

Are there any reasonable options that are lighter than the Kabolt right now?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a J&L rear that has held up fine on a ultra lightweight hardtail. I did just go with the Kabolt on the Sniper though. Light and solid and cheap enough

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Duke,

Just checked back into Extralite's shop and they have Fox axles at 30% off so 50 Euros. That is pretty reasonable in the grand scheme of things compared to a Kabolt

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Duke,

Just checked back into Extralite's shop and they have Fox axles at 30% off so 50 Euros. That is pretty reasonable in the grand scheme of things compared to a Kabolt
    Just bought one.

Should get my 34 SC under 1600g, after cut to length, with thru axle installed. Not too shabby.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

XTR M9000 Race pedals
    SRAM Eagle XO1 chain
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Fizik Antares 00 saddle
    Is the size M slightly small on you hence the longer stem? Just curious as my size L is slightly tight on me. I'm ordering a new Renthal 31.8 740mm Carbon Light bar 10mm rise, and looking at the same Syntace Flatforce maybe in a 66 to give me a bit more room and get me a bit lower. With new grips bar and stem I'll drop about .20lb

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Is the size M slightly small on you hence the longer stem? Just curious as my size L is slightly tight on me. I'm ordering a new Renthal 31.8 740mm Carbon Light bar 10mm rise, and looking at the same Syntace Flatforce maybe in a 66 to give me a bit more room and get me a bit lower. With new grips bar and stem I'll drop about .20lb
    The bike I test rode had a 50 or 55mm on it. I felt slightly more upright than usual. I'll figure out the stem length when I get the bike built up. FWIW, my current bike has a reach 22mm shorter than the Sniper, and I'm on an 88mm FlatForce. So, I should be relatively close to the same fit, just with a longer reach.

I wouldn't call the bike "small", as I'm right at the bottom end of their proposed height range for the Medium. I'm 5'6" with pretty long limbs and wide shoulders.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is it ok to be jealous of another manís axle?

Formerly of Kent
    To the crowd:

How does the stack height of your Sniper compare to the 575 on their geometry chart? Specifically with a Fox 34 SC.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    To the crowd:

How does the stack height of your Sniper compare to the 575 on their geometry chart? Specifically with a Fox 34 SC.
    Note that Intense's published geometry charts for the Sniper T are wrong.

Stack/reach on Sniper Trail and XC are identical across sizes on Intense's website. Given one specs with a 100mm and the other a 120mm fork, this can't be right. Oddly, other aspects of website geometry (BB height, STA, HTA, standover etc.) are different for a given size between XC and T, reflecting the taller fork. But stack/reach, arguably the most important measures for sizing, are listed as identical.

Based on my tape measure, the online numbers actually reflect the Sniper XC. My XL Sniper with 34sc has a measured stack of ~605mm, not 593 as listed on the website. With a 100mm fork I'd expect it to be 593mm or thereabouts.

It's pretty embarrassing that Intense has had this bike out for over a year and hasn't corrected this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post

Stack/reach on Sniper Trail and XC are identical across sizes on Intense's website. Given one specs with a 100mm and the other a 120mm fork, this can't be right. Oddly, other aspects of website geometry (BB height, STA, HTA, standover etc.) are different for a given size between XC and T, reflecting the taller fork. But stack/reach, arguably the most important measures for sizing, are listed as identical.

Based on my tape measure, the online numbers actually reflect the Sniper XC. My XL Sniper with 34sc has a measured stack of ~605mm, not 593 as listed on the website. With a 100mm fork I'd expect it to be 593mm or thereabouts.

It's pretty embarrassing that Intense has had this bike out for over a year and hasn't corrected this.
    Is seat tube angle with a 120mm fork an issue at all when climbing? Really want to pull the trigger on the new T. But the bike has to be good going up steep technical, while putting me in a generally good and efficient pedaling position for other XC and endurance events.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    Is seat tube angle with a 120mm fork an issue at all when climbing? Really want to pull the trigger on the new T. But the bike has to be good going up steep technical, while putting me in a generally good and efficient pedaling position for other XC and endurance events.
    I find it to be just fine. On the T I run my saddle a bit forward on the rails but that makes it a well-balanced bike IMHO. My Ripmo, which has a steeper STA, maybe feels a bit better on steep climbs but is not ideal on flat ground, as weight is too far forward. I think Sniper T hits the sweet spot, good for rolling XC and endurance but still climbs well. YMMV of course; I'm tall so if anything I end up with weight further back due to slack true (vs. effective) STA.

Formerly of Kent
    A 73-74 degree STA is just fine for a 100-120mm XC bike that rides high in its travel.

Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent

I figured as much.

I shouldnít be bothering with it before getting the frame, but just trying to figure stuff out.

Iím guessing the Medium with a 120 34 SC will have a stack around 587mm (12mm taller than XC/100mm). My current stack is listed at 595mm, plus some headset thickness. Measured it at 606mm just now.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    A 73-74 degree STA is just fine for a 100-120mm XC bike that rides high in its travel.

I find it to be just fine. On the T I run my saddle a bit forward on the rails but that makes it a well-balanced bike IMHO. My Ripmo, which has a steeper STA, maybe feels a bit better on steep climbs but is not ideal on flat ground, as weight is too far forward. I think Sniper T hits the sweet spot, good for rolling XC and endurance but still climbs well. YMMV of course; I'm tall so if anything I end up with weight further back due to slack true (vs. effective) STA.
    Thanks. You've given me something to think about. I've narrowed it down to the Sniper T or a lightweight 2020 Trance Advanced 29 0 build.

mtbr member
    This has been a fun Sniper mod:

Intense Sniper-img_9995.jpg

Backstory: The 165x40mm DPS that came on my Sniper XC has had repeated issues with loss of air. Annoying; had it warrantied by Fox, but the issue has returned.

Rather than have a non-functional bike while dealing with this, I picked up a 165x45mm DPX2 from eBay for a couple hundred bucks. Tuned for an Evil Following MB I believe. I run a 120mm fork so I effectively now have a Sniper Trail with a DPX2 instead of a DPS. DPX2 comes in 148g heavier than the DPS. It came with a 0.6" volume reducer, which I'll probably remove; Sniper has a more progressive end-stroke than the Following. Clears a large water bottle (as pictured) on my XL frame.

This mod makes the bike pretty damn fun. Noticeably smoother and more composed in the rough than then original XC shock, which had a digressive tune. Pedaling efficiency in open mode is maybe a touch reduced, but still very good. Better performance is particularly noticeable on longer descents, of which we have many in the PNW.

I've never tried the Sniper T DPS, which has identical stroke and non-digressive tune, so can't really compare head-to-head.

I'll put the DPS back on for race season, but I'm liking the added off-season hooligan factor for the DPX2. Recommended for any Sniper-riding XC squids looking to let their hair down in the off-season!

Formerly of Kent
    I think Ole or someone else did similar a couple months back.

I was actually about to make a post about which (compatible) shock people think would provide the best heat management. One of the weaknesses of any XC shock is the fact that, after a while, they simply heat up and start losing their ability to function as a damper. When I last rode Hymasa/Ahab out in Moab, the rear end on my Yeti ASRc felt like it was locked out towards the bottom.

Unfortunately, Manitou isn't making a 165x40 or 45 McLeod yet. I've heard it does a very good job of heat management compared to other XC shocks.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I think Ole or someone else did similar a couple months back.

I was actually about to make a post about which (compatible) shock people think would provide the best heat management. One of the weaknesses of any XC shock is the fact that, after a while, they simply heat up and start losing their ability to function as a damper. When I last rode Hymasa/Ahab out in Moab, the rear end on my Yeti ASRc felt like it was locked out towards the bottom.

Unfortunately, Manitou isn't making a 165x40 or 45 McLeod yet. I've heard it does a very good job of heat management compared to other XC shocks.
    Hey so he did; went back and found Ole's post, looks like we have the same shock as well as same positive opinion.

Why not get a DPX2? Not a true XC shock but not too bad weight-wise, has a cheater lever if you want it, and if you're doing full rips of Ahab you're not really riding XC anyway!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    DVO makes a 165 x 40 and 45 Topaz, not sure about weight:

https://dvosuspension.com/shocks/topaz-t3air/

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone with a Medium:

Enough room to insert a 160mm Bikeyoke Revive? Probably looking at 200mm of seatpost below the collar.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hey so he did; went back and found Ole's post, looks like we have the same shock as well as same positive opinion.

Why not get a DPX2? Not a true XC shock but not too bad weight-wise, has a cheater lever if you want it, and if you're doing full rips of Ahab you're not really riding XC anyway!
    This was my thought. A DPX2 will provide a lot more heat management with the reservoir and is still a lightweight and reliable shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone with a Medium:

Enough room to insert a 160mm Bikeyoke Revive? Probably looking at 200mm of seatpost below the collar.

Medium Sniper has a seat tube depth of 246 mm +4 mm / - 0 mm.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Medium Sniper has a seat tube depth of 246 mm +4 mm / - 0 mm.
    Thanks!
    Death from Below.

There's always next year.

This is tempting me in all sorts of ways as I wait for my Sniper T frame to get here in mid-Jan. Really like having a spare shock for Ďjust in case momentsí and if it can serve a different function, even better.

I may have put 165x45mm in as a saved search on eBay. There are a bunch of Super Deluxe RCTs up currently from The Proís Closet. I may see if Santa leaves me some extra cash under the tree this week.

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Just installed the cross brace on mine. Very easy.

Remaining parts should start showing up soon. BB, Headset, etc.

Canít wait to get the build started.

One last recommendation request: 125mm or 160mm dropper for a 5í5Ē-5í6Ē rider with a 31.5Ē inseam? Currently on a 100mm but itís not the right diameter.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have been following this thread from the beginning and I think I may be pulling the trigger on the 2019 xc with cross brace from the get go. Iím another Colorado front range rider and this bikes checks all the boxes for how and what I like to ride. Le Duke would you be willing to share where you got your 34 sc deal. That is the direction I would like to go and that price is Amazing!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    He send me a pm for the fork deal and I tried the vendor but they were sold out. I too am looking for a 34 SC 120 Boost 51 Factory if anyone knows where to score a deal. I would be grateful for any links. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    This is tempting me in all sorts of ways as I wait for my Sniper T frame to get here in mid-Jan. Really like having a spare shock for Ďjust in case momentsí and if it can serve a different function, even better.

I may have put 165x45mm in as a saved search on eBay. There are a bunch of Super Deluxe RCTs up currently from The Proís Closet. I may see if Santa leaves me some extra cash under the tree this week.
    If youíre getting a Sniper T anyway, itíll come with a 165x45, so youíd just get the marginally increased adjustability and oil volume of the piggyback. I added this shock to a Sniper XC, so gained travel and went from digressive to progressive tune, which made a pretty bid change. Personally Iíd look at other upgrades before this for a Sniper T, but donít let me tell you how to live!

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If youíre getting a Sniper T anyway, itíll come with a 165x45, so youíd just get the marginally increased adjustability and oil volume of the piggyback. I added this shock to a Sniper XC, so gained travel and went from digressive to progressive tune, which made a pretty bid change. Personally Iíd look at other upgrades before this for a Sniper T, but donít let me tell you how to live!
    The increase in oil volume and heat dissipation between a Float DPS and a Float DPX2 is huge. My DPS would become a smoking hot pogo stick after short downhills with deep roots, and I needed to set sag and rebound when it was hot to make sure I had something reliable for racing. But then it would be undersprung and overdamped when going for slow rides. The DPX2 gets barely luke warm and I can keep the same settings for all conditions.

The DPS only has oil in a small part of the exposed damper body (1/3 of the exposed damper body is IFP piston and IFP gas chamber), and much of it is hidden inside the air chamber and will therefore also heat the air spring. On the DPX2 the whole damper body is filled with oil, as well as the oil circulating through the large damper head and into the piggy back. You're basically going from a 240g shock with maybe 60g damper that's hidden inside the air chamber, to a 400g shock with 300g damper where most of it is outside of the air chamber.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm definitely considering finding a cheap DPX2 or Super Deluxe RCT3.

The additional third of a pound would be worth it on something like the Whole, Whole Enchilada or similar route, with 8,000+ feet of climbing and descending.

Anyone with a Medium running a piggyback shock? Does a water bottle still fit?
    Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent
    For those interested, seller 303bikestuff on eBay just sold me a brand new, 31.6x125mm BikeYoke Revive for $200. Listed at $225 OBO.

They are the same people that sold me the Fox 34 SC Factory Fit4 for $550.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ya I got my Revive on eBay for $230. I am pissed if I have to pay retail for something.

Thanks I'm going to put that seller on my watch list.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the tip Le Duke

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    My 2020 XC came in. Itís definitely the nicest bike Iíve ever owned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Layton121 View Post
    My 2020 XC came in. Itís definitely the nicest bike Iíve ever owned.

That is one mean looking Steed!! Iíll be interested to hear how you like it. I love the black frame
    Last edited by thenry; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:19 PM. Reason: Sp

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had myself convinced for about the 10th time that this was the bike for me in 2020. I then re-read this entire thread and have cold feet again. Any more stories of the cross brace putting an end to the linkage shenanigans. Any stories of installing the intense linkage brace and continuing to have issues. While I am looking for something more xc worthy then the 2015 sc 5010 that I am currently riding, the 5010 has been bomb proof. I donít want to spend a bunch of cash and end up with a headache.

I have inquired on some used Snipers and to a frame the previous owners have reported linkage issues. Doesnít give me a very good feeling about the bike.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post
    I had myself convinced for about the 10th time that this was the bike for me in 2020. I then re-read this entire thread and have cold feet again. Any more stories of the cross brace putting an end to the linkage shenanigans. Any stories of installing the intense linkage brace and continuing to have issues. While I am looking for something more xc worthy then the 2015 sc 5010 that I am currently riding, the 5010 has been bomb proof. I donít want to spend a bunch of cash and end up with a headache.

I have inquired on some used Snipers and to a frame the previous owners have reported linkage issues. Doesnít give me a very good feeling about the bike.
    The cross brace fixes all upper linkage related problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The cross brace fixes all upper linkage related problems.
    Thanks Ole, I know you created the brace and also installed the wider bearings in the upper link. Both of those modifications seem like the way to go. If I did pull the trigger on this bike I would immediately go with the intense brace along with the wider bearings. Iím also not a very heavy guy at 6í tall and 155-160lbs ready to ride. However I ride aggressively and I enjoy the challenge of the climb as much or even more to the downs. This bike for me would be the perfect Colorado front range bike.... as long as it is reliable.

Formerly of Kent
    As soon as my wife told me my frame was en route, I bought the linkage brace kit. Itís very well made and seems to fix the problem. Like you, it looks like the perfect Front Range bike for me.

Canít wait to get it built up.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Are you looking at the XC or trail version? If you are really concerned about the rear triangle get the 2020 trail version. I can't remember if they are shipping that version with a brace, but you could run a brace later on as well.

I have the 2019 trail with brace and it seems to be fine, however I don't have a long term test. Front range is pretty rocky, so I would want the Trail anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would also suggest the Sniper T for those wanting additional stiffness not just for the rear being stronger but the 34 fork too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks to all for the input. I really like the weight of 2019 sl. My gut is telling me that the cross brace will do the trick. I have always been able to get away with some lighter weight parts and growing up racing bmx, have always been concerned about the weight of parts. My goal with this build would be the lightest weight I can get that will take some abuse. If I was closer to a 200 pounder I would definitely be looking at the 2020 trail version. I may need to wait a bit longer to see how these frames hold up with the cross brace. Thanks again for the input!

Formerly of Kent
    It seems that 303bikestuff is Spot Brand...

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just installed the cross brace on mine. Very easy.

Remaining parts should start showing up soon. BB, Headset, etc.

Canít wait to get the build started.

One last recommendation request: 125mm or 160mm dropper for a 5í5Ē-5í6Ē rider with a 31.5Ē inseam? Currently on a 100mm but itís not the right diameter.

Did you get a medium or small frame? I'm assuming a small, which I would go 160mm. I'm 5'8" with same inseam and have a 125mm dropper on my size Medium frame and I only have about 20mm to the minimum insertion line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    125mm Revive is what I would run. It's a least top 3 in weight and very reliable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Are you looking at the XC or trail version? If you are really concerned about the rear triangle get the 2020 trail version. I can't remember if they are shipping that version with a brace, but you could run a brace later on as well.

I have the 2019 trail with brace and it seems to be fine, however I don't have a long term test. Front range is pretty rocky, so I would want the Trail anyways.
    The 2020 Trail and XC both come with the brace installed. Also, both of them use the Alloy lower link instead of the Magnesium lower link. The magnesium lower link is quite a bit lighter than the alloy but it does flex more than the alloy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks to all for the input. I really like the weight of 2019 sl. My gut is telling me that the cross brace will do the trick. I have always been able to get away with some lighter weight parts and growing up racing bmx, have always been concerned about the weight of parts. My goal with this build would be the lightest weight I can get that will take some abuse. If I was closer to a 200 pounder I would definitely be looking at the 2020 trail version. I may need to wait a bit longer to see how these frames hold up with the cross brace. Thanks again for the input!
    I've been running a cross brace on my Sniper XC SL frame since July when we first started prototyping it. I've had the real cross brace on my bike since early September. I've put over 700 miles on it including a 52 mile race and two 30 mile races and have not seen any additional stress or wear on the bearings, top link, or lower link. I'm going to tear it apart this weekend for the bike's yearly full tear down service and I'll get a better look at everything.

Formerly of Kent
    Did you get a medium or small frame? I'm assuming a small, which I would go 160mm. I'm 5'8" with same inseam and have a 125mm dropper on my size Medium frame and I only have about 20mm to the minimum insertion line.
    Went with a medium, as I took one of those for a demo ride and liked it. Ended up getting a smoking deal on a 125mm post.

Based on published seat tube lengths and comparing it to the amount of seatpost above the collar on my current bike I should have 4.5" inside the seat tube. More than enough to satisfy the 4" specified by the owner's manual.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Can anyone with a large frame please measure your steer tube length with spacers. Iím trying to get a good idea of what to look for while scanning for a potential fork for a frame up build.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Xc or trail

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Xc or trail
    Good point! Intentions at this time would be to run it with a 120mm fork. Iíd like to error on the side of extra steer tube.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good point! Intentions at this time would be to run it with a 120mm fork. Iíd like to error on the side of extra steer tube.
    185mm from bottom of head tube to top of my k edge mount. That is with 27mm of spacers below my Wren stem. This is from a Trail version with the 34 SC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    185mm from bottom of head tube to top of my k edge mount. That is with 27mm of spacers below my Wren stem. This is from a Trail version with the 34 SC.
    Thank you Sir!! That is extremely helpful!!

mtbr member
    creativefletch -

Will the m9100 XTR crankset, the one with 162 mm qfactor, fit on the 2020 Sniper T frame?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    creativefletch -

Will the m9100 XTR crankset, the one with 162 mm qfactor, fit on the 2020 Sniper T frame?

Thanks!
    I will check with our Tech team on this.

mtbr member
    I will check with our Tech team on this.
    Excellent. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    creativefletch -

Thanks!
    Just got confirmation that the 1x12 m9100-1 162mm-Q cranks will fit just fine. Drawing attached.

Intense Sniper-chainring-check-1_2_2020.jpg

mtbr member
    Just got confirmation that the 1x12 m9100-1 162mm-Q cranks will fit just fine. Drawing attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chainring check 1_2_2020.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	1302649
    Thanks so much for checking!

Formerly of Kent
    There are a few RS Super Deluxe RCT Debonairs on eBay right now. Reached out to the seller of a couple of them, asking about shock tune, and this is what they told me:

"The shock tune on these is LL1380, so a Low rebound tune, L1 (custom Low tune) compression, and a 380 lock out force."

Would this be an acceptable shock for the Sniper when I want to reduce heat build up on a long, choppy descent? Won't be hitting anything too big at all, just want to keep the shock from overheating and packing up on something like the Whole, Whole Enchilada.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is the only diff the paint and $500 msrp? Does the 2019 come with the stiffer brace?

2020: https://intensecycles.com/collection...rame-and-shock

2019: https://intensecycles.com/collection...niper-sl-frame

*edit: didn't meant to reply to LeDuke, simple hit "reply thread" and that's where this ended up.

mtbr member
    Good question. I note that the 2020 Sniper XC lists frame weight at 4lb 6oz, 2019 at 4lbs. Maybe different weighing protocol (+/- collar, rear axle etc.) or maybe a difference in layup. I also note that the 215lb rider weight limit on the 2019 has been removed. FWIW my XL 2019 Sniper was 5lbs even WITH SHOCK which is damn light, so I think their weights are legit.

I would expect that the 2020 comes with the brace. I have also heard that they are specíing the alloy lower link on all 2020s (rather than magnesium) because itís stiffer and manufacturing tolerances are apparently better. However, this wouldnít account for the 6oz weight difference; Alloy link is only about 40g heavier.

Maybe (hopefully) a slightly more robust layup?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Is the only diff the paint and $500 msrp? Does the 2019 come with the stiffer brace?

2020: https://intensecycles.com/collection...rame-and-shock

2019: https://intensecycles.com/collection...niper-sl-frame

*edit: didn't meant to reply to LeDuke, simple hit "reply thread" and that's where this ended up.
    The brace comes on both the Sniper XC and Sniper T frames for 2020. All 2020 Frame pricing (Tracer/Carbine/Primer) has been updated to $2,999.

mtbr member
    The brace comes on both the Sniper XC and Sniper T frames for 2020. All 2020 Frame pricing (Tracer/Carbine/Primer) has been updated to $2,999.
    Thanks CF for the confirmation.

Any changes to weight or layup of the Sniper since the first batches back in mid-2018? Any idea of weight difference between Sniper T and XC rear triangles? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks CF for the confirmation.

Any changes to weight or layup of the Sniper since the first batches back in mid-2018? Any idea of weight difference between Sniper T and XC rear triangles? Thanks!
    Carbon layup on front triangle for both XC & T have remained the same, we have updated the tolerance on the lower pivot to prevent play. Rear triangle has obviously changed for 2020 on the T model, the XC remains the same. The T frame is going to be heavier with the updated rear triangle and the addition of extra paint.

For full builds all components on the XC and Trail are 2020 product.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Carbon layup on front triangle for both XC & T have remained the same, we have updated the tolerance on the lower pivot to prevent play. Rear triangle has obviously changed for 2020 on the T model, the XC remains the same. The T frame is going to be heavier with the updated rear triangle and the addition of extra paint.

For full builds all components on the XC and Trail are 2020 product.
    I like the new paintjob, nice and clean. Good job!

mtbr member
    Sniper T looks good in person too!

Immediate observations, being intimately familiar with the 2019 Sniper XC:

-The new rear triangle looks good! Not only does it add a second strut, but the opening behind the upper pivots is now filled in on both sides (see photo). This should both stiffen up this connection point, and also keep water and stones from getting in there; my Sniper XC RT was pretty much a maraca after a year of riding. RT feels solidly build based on bro-science tapping and flexing; seems like this is going to add some weight, but if it improves stiffness and durability I'm all for it.

-Addition of a second water bottle mount inside the frame of the XL is welcome. Intense included two bottle cages, though they're top rather than side-loaders so doubt I'll use them.

-Paint scheme looks great. Looks a bit more of a muted grey rather than the grey-blue on the website, but it's a simple and attractive look and the red pops. Not as cool as digi-camo, but I like it.

Weights and other info as I get this thing built over the weekend....

Intense Sniper-img_0043.jpgIntense Sniper-img_0044.jpg

mtbr member
    RT feels solidly build based on bro-science tapping and flexing
    Bro Science! Hilarious. This is my favorite science.

Can't wait to see the completed project. I'm still dithering between this and a lightweight Trance 29 build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Immediate observations, being intimately familiar with the 2019 Sniper XC:

-The new rear triangle looks good! Not only does it add a second strut, but the opening behind the upper pivots is now filled in on both sides (see photo). This should both stiffen up this connection point, and also keep water and stones from getting in there; my Sniper XC RT was pretty much a maraca after a year of riding. RT feels solidly build based on bro-science tapping and flexing; seems like this is going to add some weight, but if it improves stiffness and durability I'm all for it.

-Addition of a second water bottle mount inside the frame of the XL is welcome. Intense included two bottle cages, though they're top rather than side-loaders so doubt I'll use them.

-Paint scheme looks great. Looks a bit more of a muted grey rather than the grey-blue on the website, but it's a simple and attractive look and the red pops. Not as cool as digi-camo, but I like it.

Weights and other info as I get this thing built over the weekend....

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	1304403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	1304405
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the weight on the frame.

mtbr member
    Creative - my LBS says they can't get Intense right now. Is there any way for me to buy through them? I'd like to support the shop if possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That looks sharp! Excited to see her built up!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Creative - my LBS says they can't get Intense right now. Is there any way for me to buy through them? I'd like to support the shop if possible.
    Hello! Thanks for your interest in Intense! I'm the Sales Director for Intense and I can tell you that our dealer requirements are very reasonable, and we have a lot of opportunity for stores in MI. The main reason that we created a rider direct channel is that we wanted to make the brand accessible to more people in more places. We still love bike shops and want to facilitate sales through the your local store any time we can. At the end of the day, we just want you to have a great experience in the way you want that to happen.

Feel free to reach out to our team any time, or have your preferred dealer give us a call. 951-307-9211

Take care, Matt Long

mtbr member
    XL Sniper T frame+shock comes in at 5lb 14oz or 2660g. That's with rear axle and seat collar.

The Sniper XC that I received back in 2018 was 5lbs even. Key differences accounting for the nearly 400g difference would be:
    -Heavier rear triangle; not just added strut, but the layup feels a lot more robust everywhere.
    -Aluminum rather than magnesium lower link (adds 40g but is apparently stiffer/stronger)
    -Addition of cross-brace to upper link
    -More paint

The Sniper T weight is pretty much exactly the same as an XL Pivot Mach4SL and a tad lighter than a Trek Top Fuel, according to threads on those two bikes.

Personally I have no problem with adding this amount of weight if it equates to stiffness and reliability, two areas where the Sniper XC was lacking. At 6'3"/190lbs a pound of bike frame more or less is pretty inconsequential. End of the day my take-home is that the Sniper XC over-prioritized light weight at the expense of ride quality and durability, at least for riders my size. Hoping the Sniper T fixes this equation, because I still love the fit and feel of the Sniper.

Intense Sniper-img_0045.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo Largo View Post
    Hello! Thanks for your interest in Intense! I'm the Sales Director for Intense and I can tell you that our dealer requirements are very reasonable, and we have a lot of opportunity for stores in MI. The main reason that we created a rider direct channel is that we wanted to make the brand accessible to more people in more places. We still love bike shops and want to facilitate sales through the your local store any time we can. At the end of the day, we just want you to have a great experience in the way you want that to happen.

Feel free to reach out to our team any time, or have your preferred dealer give us a call. 951-307-9211

Take care, Matt Long
    Thanks, Matt. I'll talk to my LBS and ask them to reach out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    G-Choro, Looks like Matt is on it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    G-Choro, Looks like Matt is on it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    All good. LBS said they'd give you guys a call. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    XL Sniper T frame+shock comes in at 5lb 14oz or 2660g. That's with rear axle and seat collar.

The Sniper XC that I received back in 2018 was 5lbs even. Key differences accounting for the nearly 400g difference would be:
    -Heavier rear triangle; not just added strut, but the layup feels a lot more robust everywhere.
    -Aluminum rather than magnesium lower link (adds 40g but is apparently stiffer/stronger)
    -Addition of cross-brace to upper link
    -More paint

The Sniper T weight is pretty much exactly the same as an XL Pivot Mach4SL and a tad lighter than a Trek Top Fuel, according to threads on those two bikes.

Personally I have no problem with adding this amount of weight if it equates to stiffness and reliability, two areas where the Sniper XC was lacking. At 6'3"/190lbs a pound of bike frame more or less is pretty inconsequential. End of the day my take-home is that the Sniper XC over-prioritized light weight at the expense of ride quality and durability, at least for riders my size. Hoping the Sniper T fixes this equation, because I still love the fit and feel of the Sniper.

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	1304583
    You nailed it on the weight additions. The updated rear triangle adds about 200 grams. Full paint with two colors could add up to about 100-150 grams.

The Sniper T uses a stiffer carbon lay-up that does add weight. This is not a new carbon lay-up but it is the "NM" or normal lay-up that was used for the Foundation & Expert level bikes for 2018 & 2019 models. The "SL" or super light lay-up is used for XC model.

I think you're going to be very happy on the Sniper T, it addresses the concerns and issues you had with your XC and is an absolute machine.

For me, the XC model will continue to be my weapon of choice. I've been testing and riding with the Sniper T rear triangle and cross brace on my XC for the past 4-5 months and find it too stiff and I don't like the added weight. I think that with just the addition of the Cross brace on the XC it's stiffened up perfect to lay down power out of the saddle and not get flex. I'm 156 lbs, love to climb, and will sacrifice stiffness for weight.

I think the Sniper XC and Sniper T are really well positioned now for what a rider or racer wants out of the bike.

mtbr member
    You nailed it on the weight additions. The updated rear triangle adds about 200 grams. Full paint with two colors could add up to about 100-150 grams.

The Sniper T uses a stiffer carbon lay-up that does add weight. This is not a new carbon lay-up but it is the "NM" or normal lay-up that was used for the Foundation & Expert level bikes for 2018 & 2019 models. The "SL" or super light lay-up is used for XC model.

I think you're going to be very happy on the Sniper T, it addresses the concerns and issues you had with your XC and is an absolute machine.

For me, the XC model will continue to be my weapon of choice. I've been testing and riding with the Sniper T rear triangle and cross brace on my XC for the past 4-5 months and find it too stiff and I don't like the added weight. I think that with just the addition of the Cross brace on the XC it's stiffened up perfect to lay down power out of the saddle and not get flex. I'm 156 lbs, love to climb, and will sacrifice stiffness for weight.

I think the Sniper XC and Sniper T are really well positioned now for what a rider or racer wants out of the bike.
    Creative, thanks for the info.

Just a curiosity: Doest the T use the "NM" layup for both front and rear triangles? Or is it just the heavy duty dual-upright RT that gets this treatment? I was under the impression that front triangles were identical but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Definitely loving the paint too, looks awesome in person, well done!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Creative, thanks for the info.

Just a curiosity: Doest the T use the "NM" layup for both front and rear triangles? Or is it just the heavy duty dual-upright RT that gets this treatment? I was under the impression that front triangles were identical but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Definitely loving the paint too, looks awesome in person, well done!
    The Sniper T uses the NM layup for the front and rear.

mtbr member
    Interesting, thanks for that. And the NM layup results in a stiffer bike?

I thought the normal approach to "cheaper" carbon options was to use lower modulus carbon but to use more of it, i.e. get equal stiffness with a bit more weight.

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	1304403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	1304405
    This was welcome news to see for me as my frame shipment got delayed by UPS today! Waiting for my XL Sniper T, so it was great to see some of this for an XL. I thought I was going to be the one posting weights, etc. Everything sounds like what Iím looking for with the T, so now I got a long weekend ahead of me.

Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think that with just the addition of the Cross brace on the XC it's stiffened up perfect to lay down power out of the saddle and not get flex.
    Will the remaining 2019 SL frames be shipped with the new crossbrace?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    This was welcome news to see for me as my frame shipment got delayed by UPS today! Waiting for my XL Sniper T, so it was great to see some of this for an XL. I thought I was going to be the one posting weights, etc. Everything sounds like what Iím looking for with the T, so now I got a long weekend ahead of me.

Thanks for sharing!
    Go bang on their door

Formerly of Kent
    Mine came without it. Bought it before the frame arrived.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Excited to hear the reviews of the Sniper T.

I have a Trek Top Fuel and Primer Bandit and have been thinking of consolidating them into one bike.

Sniper T seems like it could fit the bill as a sort of jack of all trades bike This review seems to compliment the bikes up and down hill capability:
    https://cyclingmagazine.ca/mtb/doubl...-shaper-focus/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How does the 73 degree effective seat tube angle feel on the Trail?

I'm coming off a Specialized Camber that is 75 and feels pretty much perfect for my riding areas.

Got my Sniper T built up last night. A few pieces of drama with losing the silly small bolt Fox uses to route the cable, and I had to swap some housing to make it fit with the internal routing, but the bike itself went together great. Frame looks amazing.

I was able to fit a 210mm dropper on my XL (DOWNCOUNTRY FTW!!). Its slammed, and I may have to reduce the OneUp dropper 10mm, but you can get a 200mm dropper in the XL frame.

With Western Washington getting slammed right now with weather, I don't know much real ride time I'll get soon, but I sure am excited.

Intense Sniper-img_0731.jpg

Weight (for those who care) is my build, with pedals, but no cages/accessories/etc.

Intense Sniper-img_0727.jpg

mtbr member
    Also taking advantage of crappy weather in Washington to build my Sniper T.

Itís a good looking bike. My build is XTR 12-speed with a Power2Max powermeter spider, SRAM G2 brakes, Nox Teo/I9 wheels, Vittoria Barzo tires with Tubolite inserts. Didnít plan the color match with the grey sidewalls on the Barzos but I think they look sharp!

25lbs 14oz as pictured. Was pretty pleased it came in under 26lbs given my build choices. G2 brakes, 180mm rotors and the power meter all add weight but should make for a pretty fun ride.

Like Padrefan, weíll see when the weather lets me get this baby out.

Intense Sniper-806c2810-4978-46bc-b4e1-e41f060ddabb.jpeg
    Intense Sniper-58d1e41a-d9d4-4caf-b350-a7b2147bd5f4.jpeg
    Intense Sniper-a7beab97-9158-4f6d-9839-acff59c618fb.jpeg

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Not one but both of my BOOSTINATOR (via Amazon) orders were the wrong item. So, probably another week before I can ride my Sniper.

Blah.

That said, at this rate, my new seatpost clamp, and the carbon cradle for my Revive might be here before the wheels are ready to go. So, Iíll get everything else assembled beforehand.

For now, just sitting in the living room, waiting.

Death from Below.

Sneaker man
    ^gar don't you hate that!
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Peepers View Post
    How does the 73 degree effective seat tube angle feel on the Trail?

I'm coming off a Specialized Camber that is 75 and feels pretty much perfect for my riding areas.
    I like it fine. The actually STA is reasonably steep (compared to something like a Top Fuel, which has a kinked seat tube and a much slacker actually ST angle.) Being tall, I run my saddle a good ways above stack, so slacker actual STA puts me further back.

For me, with the saddle a bit forward on the rails I really like it. Climbs well but also feels good on ripping flatter terrain. I think some of the extreme 76+ degree STA bikes (Like my Ripmo) climb and descend great but are not ideal on flatter courses. For racing a bike on a rolling marathon course, I prefer a more balanced position.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I like it fine. The actually STA is reasonably steep (compared to something like a Top Fuel, which has a kinked seat tube and a much slacker actually ST angle.) Being tall, I run my saddle a good ways above stack, so slacker actual STA puts me further back.

For me, with the saddle a bit forward on the rails I really like it. Climbs well but also feels good on ripping flatter terrain. I think some of the extreme 76+ degree STA bikes (Like my Ripmo) climb and descend great but are not ideal on flatter courses. For racing a bike on a rolling marathon course, I prefer a more balanced position.
    Thanks for the feedback. Funny you mention the Top Fuel, as that is the other bike I'm strongly considering. My primary races are marathon distance in the Midwest, so lots of short ups and downs. I think either bike will probably be a fine choice, but leaning towards the Sniper at the moment.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. Funny you mention the Top Fuel, as that is the other bike I'm strongly considering. My primary races are marathon distance in the Midwest, so lots of short ups and downs. I think either bike will probably be a fine choice, but leaning towards the Sniper at the moment.
    I also donít have any issue with the STA. Pedals fine going up and is great on the flatter trails.

If marathons are your thing, notice the trek only has one water bottle mount. That kept it from being on my short list as well as the price being a few thousand more than Intense

mtbr member
    I also strongly considered jumping from Sniper XC to Top Fuel (I ended up with a Sniper T.) TF seems like a solid choice, though some of the "quirks" of Trek are off-putting. Knockblock seems dumb, and the fact they spec non-Kashima shocks on the $3300 frameset and all but top-top builds is annoying. (I know Kashima may be all marketing, but c'mon, if I'm paying Yeti prices give me the top-end shock.) TF has the lockout, which might be attractive but also adds hassle and cable/cockpit clutter.

Unless you're a small rider or weight is really important to you, I'd strongly suggest a Sniper T rather than XC. I had lots of issues with the flex of the XC, and while some of that might have been addressed by the addition of the cross-brace and changes to linkage, the T seems overall a lot burlier. Weight difference is 10-12oz for the frame, which is worth it to me; Sniper T is still lighter than the TF.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    DB, you had both frames?

Also I thought the 2019 was the same frame between the XC and Trail? The new T has the revised rear triangle and both xc and T have the additional cross brace

mtbr member
    DB, you had both frames?

Also I thought the 2019 was the same frame between the XC and Trail? The new T has the revised rear triangle and both xc and T have the additional cross brace
    Correct on all counts. There also appear to be some revisions in pivot hardware and lower link for 2020, all aimed at stiffening things up at the expense of (very small) increases in weight.

mtbr member
    Very nice looking bike and respectable weight with that build and tire inserts to boot. I am just noticing now the two water bottle mounts - nice bonus feature on the Sniper T. At first I was like wow no way that bike has 66 degree head angle but then noticed the front wheel is lower than the back in the pics. How much dropper is that 100?

Also taking advantage of crappy weather in Washington to build my Sniper T.

Itís a good looking bike. My build is XTR 12-speed with a Power2Max powermeter spider, SRAM G2 brakes, Nox Teo/I9 wheels, Vittoria Barzo tires with Tubolite inserts. Didnít plan the color match with the grey sidewalls on the Barzos but I think they look sharp!

25lbs 14oz as pictured. Was pretty pleased it came in under 26lbs given my build choices. G2 brakes, 180mm rotors and the power meter all add weight but should make for a pretty fun ride.

Like Padrefan, weíll see when the weather lets me get this baby out.

Name:	806C2810-4978-46BC-B4E1-E41F060DDABB.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	1304921

Name:	58D1E41A-D9D4-4CAF-B350-A7B2147BD5F4.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	1304923

Name:	A7BEAB97-9158-4F6D-9839-ACFF59C618FB.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	1304925

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nice to see 26lb trail bikes. I bet they fly.

mtbr member
    Very nice looking bike and respectable weight with that build and tire inserts to boot. I am just noticing now the two water bottle mounts - nice bonus feature on the Sniper T. At first I was like wow no way that bike has 66 degree head angle but then noticed the front wheel is lower than the back in the pics. How much dropper is that 100?
    150mm KS Lev Carbon (or whatever the model is called), extended maybe half way.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    2019 size large Trail model also came with 150 KS Ci dropper. You could probably fit a 170 in there but a super light stock 150 works for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The 2019 frames and builds will not, the Cross brace is available to purchase for 2018 and 2019 models. The Cross brace will come on the 2020 models.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    All of the 2019 Sniper frames and builds that are shipping now have two water bottle mounts. Size Small and Medium have the one inside the front triangle and one under the downtube, Size Large and Size XL have both inside the triangle.

mtbr member
    Thanks Fletch - good to know. I would be on a medium.

Sneaker man
    Now all we need is some gear, don't necessarily want to be all Yeti matchy matchy, but as it's an XC'sh bike, some Intense bibs and jersey would be nice...
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    I just installed a cross brace on a new sniper trail and it is TIGHT with the spacers. Feels like there is more drag on the link.

Is this how it should be? I referenced the install docs for the brace.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    I just installed a cross brace on a new sniper trail and it is TIGHT with the spacers. Feels like there is more drag on the link.

Believe there was someone else in this thread that had a similar issue. Creative chimed in to say paint thickness could make for tight installs on the retrofitted frames. (My 2020, where brace is standard, seems to omit paint from install points.) I think some slight modification to brace or spacers was the solution, but perhaps Creative can provide more definitive answers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post

The Grey/Red SL frames, the inside of the rear triangle is painted red. There is a variance of paint build up on the hardware that houses the thread and where the brace contacts. The easiest thing to do is to remove paint build up on the alloy insert with an razor blade, or sand down the paint in that area. You can also remove a little bit of material from the inside of the brace. The digi-camo frame uses a decal for the silver on the inside of the rear triangle and the 2020 models we've removed the paint from this area.

mtbr member
    Any pictures of a large Sniper T frame? I'm curious to see what the seat tube height looks like.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Any pictures of a large Sniper T frame? I'm curious to see what the seat tube height looks like.
    Intense Sniper-screenshot_20180511-205359_photos.jpg

2019 Sniper T, same front as 2020. Running a 125mm Reverb in that picture, and 80cm from center BB to top of saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    2019 Sniper T, same front as 2020. Running a 125mm Reverb in that picture, and 80cm from center BB to top of saddle.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by G-Choro; 15 Hours Ago at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Any issues reaching down to throw the blue fox lever into a different position with the shock in the upside down position?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Any issues reaching down to throw the blue fox lever into a different position with the shock in the upside down position?
    For me it's easier to flip the switch when it's mounted upside down like this opposed to facing upwards.

mtbr member
    Yeah I think most bikes with top tube mounted shocks put the lever pointing down. Only challenge for me is it's hard to see the lever, so checking if you're locked requires fumbling. TBH I rarely use the lever, the Sniper climbs great wide open. I sometimes put it in middle "trail" position (and leave it there) for short XCO-type races.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011