Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,016 of 1016

Thread: Intense Sniper

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    What size did you go with, and did you change anything from stock to accomodate?
    Not yet. I live in MD so we are getting close to winter. In the spring I will look into carbon wheels. I will not change much else, if anything.
    Last edited by DJO; 1 Week Ago at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DJO View Post
    Not yet. I leave in MD so we are getting close to winter. In the spring i will look into carbon wheels. I will not change much else, if anything.
    Where in MD?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're going to need to ask Intense for a kick back for the demos you're going to get asked for
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone know if there is any aftermarket shock avail for the sniper? From dt or rs that might fit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
    Anyone know if there is any aftermarket shock avail for the sniper? From dt or rs that might fit?
    Right from the website:
    SHOCK
    FOX Factory DPS, Kashima, 165 x 40 mm / FOX Factory DPS, Kashima, 165 x 45 mm / Choose Shock Option to check-out.

So yea I'm gonna be that guy- don't be lazy and look it up and see if there's one.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
    This is a good question. I know that previously the Rockshox did not fit. I will need to measure the width of the Fox and see what other shock companies offer for trunion mount 40mm or 45mm shocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I see a few people looking at a L, I've had a L Sniper XC now for a few weeks. I'm 6' (183cm) on the dot. I'm coming from an Epic, all Florida east coast riding. Loving it so far but had to put a 60mm stem on it and raise the stack a little to get comfortable. Was feeling a little tight in the cockpit, I am more torso than legs which could have something to do with it. I'm still not sure if I could've went XL, no Intense dealers near me at all. Climbs great, fast, and loves to go!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DJO View Post
    Congrats brother. I just purchased the Sniper Trial Pro build. Picked it up last night, have not rode it yet, other than down my drive way in the pitch black. If you want to unload those carbon hoops, let me know.
    I'm still not sure which way I am going to go with the wheels. Per my earlier post I won the Silverton SL that are super light. I am running the carbon hoops on the Elite and the new wheels could drop 505 grams, or for the metric impaired, 1.11 pounds. The dilemma really for me is the inner width. The trail carbon hoops are 30mm internal and the Silverton's are 26. One of the changes I made on the Sniper trail was changing out the front Forekaster for a Minion 2.5. I've never run anything this wide before coming from an Epic (with Nox Teo 26mm on the front), and only a few rides but I like it.
    My plan is to sell one pair. So the question is which rims to go with? Of the guys that I often ride with I am usually one of the slower to the top and faster to the bottom so...
    Curious to hear other's thoughts.

Formerly of Kent
    I’ll scrounge up some cash or a kidney for those Silverton wheels if you’re selling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter_b3 View Post
    I'm still not sure which way I am going to go with the wheels. Per my earlier post I won the Silverton SL that are super light. I am running the carbon hoops on the Elite and the new wheels could drop 505 grams, or for the metric impaired, 1.11 pounds. The dilemma really for me is the inner width. The trail carbon hoops are 30mm internal and the Silverton's are 26. One of the changes I made on the Sniper trail was changing out the front Forekaster for a Minion 2.5. I've never run anything this wide before coming from an Epic (with Nox Teo 26mm on the front), and only a few rides but I like it.
    My plan is to sell one pair. So the question is which rims to go with? Of the guys that I often ride with I am usually one of the slower to the top and faster to the bottom so...
    Curious to hear other's thoughts.
    I run 2.4 XR4 TE F and 2.3 XR3 TE R on my 27mm inner rims- no problems. 1.1 lbs in wheel weight is a ton.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Traction or weight? Just a couple of years ago 26 was pretty wide. I am kinda thinking the same thing that over a pound of rotating mass. Not to mention ceramic bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Traction or weight? Just a couple of years ago 26 was pretty wide. I am kinda thinking the same thing that over a pound of rotating mass. Not to mention ceramic bearings.
    A ton of weight to lose- very noticable. Unless you plan on running really wide tires, which I'm not sure if the frame can fit, or the WT format Maxxis released- I'd stick with the 26mm wheelset.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think I'd sell both sets and build up a 1400ish g set, have the opportunity to do 30ish inner width if I wanted and be way money ahead still. I have a set of We Are One Insiders (27mm inner) that I'm really happy with for example. I had my chain and derailleur fight a spoke a couple days ago...spoke lost. Would not have been fun with the Silvertons.

Also coming off of a 2.5 DHF a while back I'm never going back...2.3 yes, but the 2.5 is just a lot of tire for a bike like this in my opinion. Especially if you're already fast going down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    I think I'd sell both sets and build up a 1400ish g set, have the opportunity to do 30ish inner width if I wanted and be way money ahead still. I have a set of We Are One Insiders (27mm inner) that I'm really happy with for example. I had my chain and derailleur fight a spoke a couple days ago...spoke lost. Would not have been fun with the Silvertons.

Also coming off of a 2.5 DHF a while back I'm never going back...2.3 yes, but the 2.5 is just a lot of tire for a bike like this in my opinion. Especially if you're already fast going down.
    Selling both could be an option. Not familiar with We Are One. Will need to look into those. I was really thinking of going with the Silvertons but you are right about the spoke issue. The spokes are supposed to be stronger but are they strong enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Cross-post from AZ forum, I currently ride a carbon Honzo w/ 140mm Pike, but otherwise built up as an XC race rig (Kona HT, AM geo-ish, not unlike Sniper). I was originally planning on a trail frame, but after riding the XC don't think I want to give up how well it climbed:

Wanted to follow up on this as I had the opportunity to do an extended demo of a buddies Sniper XC Elite in Large. Got a quick Mormon/Lower Natty loop in Friday night (ran out of light and have a shitty lamp), did a big McDowell ride yesterday (Dixie Mine->Prospector->Bell->Gateway->Windgate->Bell->Paradise->Lost Dog->Sunrise...a beatdown of tech ups and downs), and did Javalina TH to Buena Vista today. The bike is BADASS! Cannot believe how good it was at everything, basically the exact bike I'm looking for.

Intense Sniper-img_20181117_082932.jpg

Some misc thoughts:

I now understand why everyone rides full suspension at this point, damn thing is more capable in every measurable metric than my Honzo I feel.

I only weigh 145lb now, the frame (and fork) is definitely a noodle. If I weighed more I don't think I could get away with thrashing it through the stuff I did comfortably.

Coming from a hardtail, I felt the front was overpowered by the rear, would definitely throw a 34 stepcast on (possibly even drop it to 110mm pending how climbing is affected).

It has a 44mm offset fork, this coupled with a 50mm stem (still damn short) felt awkward to me. Felt like the geo was fighting steering inputs. I put a 40mm stem on and it felt a little better to me. Still felt like the front end kinda wanted to tuck under at times on steeps/rolling stuff (that I maybe shouldn't!), I think a 51mm offset would be more comfortable. They spec the trail builds with a 120mm 51mm offset fork for reference.

Was not a big fan of the 2.25 Rekons, not sure if that is adjustment period/needing a back-to-back with what I typically ride (2.35 Ikons). Would be tempted to slap some Minions on and rip for fun on occasion.

I'm not a huge fan of judging a bike by strava segments because so much is at play here, but recently have found my fitness has pretty much leveled so feel I can trust numbers. Basically faster down EVERYWHERE, and faster up in most places. I honestly didn't realize how much I favor "good" lines on my HT when going down, and how limited using your legs as suspension actually is. I suspect that when I fully trust some suspension I would be even faster going down.

I question if riding a bike like this will make me soft...honestly everything is so much easier it feels like cheating almost. Kinda the same feeling as when I ride by people racing SS. My plan to counter this is going rigid SS with my Honzo to remind me what hard really is.

Feel like I really need to focus on putting consistent power down and just spinning while seated, shocked at how much even 100mm of travel allows you to just mow over shit. Definitely feel like a bike like this allows one to focus on being fit vs. having technical skills.

Was worried that a L would feel tight in the cockpit, instead feel like the smaller cockpit allows me to have more control and move around on the bike better. I think this is somewhat related to a slightly longer wheelbase vs. my Honzo. My fear was that I would lose DH confidence, did not feel this way.

Surprised that the 32 SC, 100mm of travel, and a slammed stem/bar didn't feel terrifying. Actually felt pretty fine.

Overall, love the bike and will definitely be getting/building one. Issue now is that Large grey frames are currently unobtanium with no ETA from Intense. May buy a full build and swap/sell components, like the bike that much.

Chase

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Cross-post from AZ forum, I currently ride a carbon Honzo w/ 140mm Pike, but otherwise built up as an XC race rig (Kona HT, AM geo-ish, not unlike Sniper). I was originally planning on a trail frame, but after riding the XC don't think I want to give up how well it climbed:

Wanted to follow up on this as I had the opportunity to do an extended demo of a buddies Sniper XC Elite in Large. Got a quick Mormon/Lower Natty loop in Friday night (ran out of light and have a shitty lamp), did a big McDowell ride yesterday (Dixie Mine->Prospector->Bell->Gateway->Windgate->Bell->Paradise->Lost Dog->Sunrise...a beatdown of tech ups and downs), and did Javalina TH to Buena Vista today. The bike is BADASS! Cannot believe how good it was at everything, basically the exact bike I'm looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181117_082932.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	1225387

Some misc thoughts:

I now understand why everyone rides full suspension at this point, damn thing is more capable in every measurable metric than my Honzo I feel.

I only weigh 145lb now, the frame (and fork) is definitely a noodle. If I weighed more I don't think I could get away with thrashing it through the stuff I did comfortably.

Coming from a hardtail, I felt the front was overpowered by the rear, would definitely throw a 34 stepcast on (possibly even drop it to 110mm pending how climbing is affected).

It has a 44mm offset fork, this coupled with a 50mm stem (still damn short) felt awkward to me. Felt like the geo was fighting steering inputs. I put a 40mm stem on and it felt a little better to me. Still felt like the front end kinda wanted to tuck under at times on steeps/rolling stuff (that I maybe shouldn't!), I think a 51mm offset would be more comfortable. They spec the trail builds with a 120mm 51mm offset fork for reference.

Was not a big fan of the 2.25 Rekons, not sure if that is adjustment period/needing a back-to-back with what I typically ride (2.35 Ikons). Would be tempted to slap some Minions on and rip for fun on occasion.

I'm not a huge fan of judging a bike by strava segments because so much is at play here, but recently have found my fitness has pretty much leveled so feel I can trust numbers. Basically faster down EVERYWHERE, and faster up in most places. I honestly didn't realize how much I favor "good" lines on my HT when going down, and how limited using your legs as suspension actually is. I suspect that when I fully trust some suspension I would be even faster going down.

I question if riding a bike like this will make me soft...honestly everything is so much easier it feels like cheating almost. Kinda the same feeling as when I ride by people racing SS. My plan to counter this is going rigid SS with my Honzo to remind me what hard really is.

Feel like I really need to focus on putting consistent power down and just spinning while seated, shocked at how much even 100mm of travel allows you to just mow over shit. Definitely feel like a bike like this allows one to focus on being fit vs. having technical skills.

Was worried that a L would feel tight in the cockpit, instead feel like the smaller cockpit allows me to have more control and move around on the bike better. I think this is somewhat related to a slightly longer wheelbase vs. my Honzo. My fear was that I would lose DH confidence, did not feel this way.

Surprised that the 32 SC, 100mm of travel, and a slammed stem/bar didn't feel terrifying. Actually felt pretty fine.

Overall, love the bike and will definitely be getting/building one. Issue now is that Large grey frames are currently unobtanium with no ETA from Intense. May buy a full build and swap/sell components, like the bike that much.

Chase
    Nice review Chase. Mine is sitting in my garage, weather in MD has been horrible since the bike came in. I have the Trail version and the bike seems built for high speeds, the longer wheelbase and geometry give it a very stable feel. Not built for rock gardens or super chunky stuff, but I knew that before I purchased.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011