Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,087 of 1087

Thread: Intense Sniper

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    What size did you go with, and did you change anything from stock to accomodate?
    Not yet. I live in MD so we are getting close to winter. In the spring I will look into carbon wheels. I will not change much else, if anything.
    Last edited by DJO; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DJO View Post
    Not yet. I leave in MD so we are getting close to winter. In the spring i will look into carbon wheels. I will not change much else, if anything.
    Where in MD?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're going to need to ask Intense for a kick back for the demos you're going to get asked for
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone know if there is any aftermarket shock avail for the sniper? From dt or rs that might fit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
    Anyone know if there is any aftermarket shock avail for the sniper? From dt or rs that might fit?
    Right from the website:
    SHOCK
    FOX Factory DPS, Kashima, 165 x 40 mm / FOX Factory DPS, Kashima, 165 x 45 mm / Choose Shock Option to check-out.

So yea I'm gonna be that guy- don't be lazy and look it up and see if there's one.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
    This is a good question. I know that previously the Rockshox did not fit. I will need to measure the width of the Fox and see what other shock companies offer for trunion mount 40mm or 45mm shocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I see a few people looking at a L, I've had a L Sniper XC now for a few weeks. I'm 6' (183cm) on the dot. I'm coming from an Epic, all Florida east coast riding. Loving it so far but had to put a 60mm stem on it and raise the stack a little to get comfortable. Was feeling a little tight in the cockpit, I am more torso than legs which could have something to do with it. I'm still not sure if I could've went XL, no Intense dealers near me at all. Climbs great, fast, and loves to go!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Congrats brother. I just purchased the Sniper Trial Pro build. Picked it up last night, have not rode it yet, other than down my drive way in the pitch black. If you want to unload those carbon hoops, let me know.
    I'm still not sure which way I am going to go with the wheels. Per my earlier post I won the Silverton SL that are super light. I am running the carbon hoops on the Elite and the new wheels could drop 505 grams, or for the metric impaired, 1.11 pounds. The dilemma really for me is the inner width. The trail carbon hoops are 30mm internal and the Silverton's are 26. One of the changes I made on the Sniper trail was changing out the front Forekaster for a Minion 2.5. I've never run anything this wide before coming from an Epic (with Nox Teo 26mm on the front), and only a few rides but I like it.
    My plan is to sell one pair. So the question is which rims to go with? Of the guys that I often ride with I am usually one of the slower to the top and faster to the bottom so...
    Curious to hear other's thoughts.

Formerly of Kent
    Iíll scrounge up some cash or a kidney for those Silverton wheels if youíre selling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter_b3 View Post
    I'm still not sure which way I am going to go with the wheels. Per my earlier post I won the Silverton SL that are super light. I am running the carbon hoops on the Elite and the new wheels could drop 505 grams, or for the metric impaired, 1.11 pounds. The dilemma really for me is the inner width. The trail carbon hoops are 30mm internal and the Silverton's are 26. One of the changes I made on the Sniper trail was changing out the front Forekaster for a Minion 2.5. I've never run anything this wide before coming from an Epic (with Nox Teo 26mm on the front), and only a few rides but I like it.
    My plan is to sell one pair. So the question is which rims to go with? Of the guys that I often ride with I am usually one of the slower to the top and faster to the bottom so...
    Curious to hear other's thoughts.
    I run 2.4 XR4 TE F and 2.3 XR3 TE R on my 27mm inner rims- no problems. 1.1 lbs in wheel weight is a ton.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Traction or weight? Just a couple of years ago 26 was pretty wide. I am kinda thinking the same thing that over a pound of rotating mass. Not to mention ceramic bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Traction or weight? Just a couple of years ago 26 was pretty wide. I am kinda thinking the same thing that over a pound of rotating mass. Not to mention ceramic bearings.
    A ton of weight to lose- very noticable. Unless you plan on running really wide tires, which I'm not sure if the frame can fit, or the WT format Maxxis released- I'd stick with the 26mm wheelset.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think I'd sell both sets and build up a 1400ish g set, have the opportunity to do 30ish inner width if I wanted and be way money ahead still. I have a set of We Are One Insiders (27mm inner) that I'm really happy with for example. I had my chain and derailleur fight a spoke a couple days ago...spoke lost. Would not have been fun with the Silvertons.

Also coming off of a 2.5 DHF a while back I'm never going back...2.3 yes, but the 2.5 is just a lot of tire for a bike like this in my opinion. Especially if you're already fast going down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    I think I'd sell both sets and build up a 1400ish g set, have the opportunity to do 30ish inner width if I wanted and be way money ahead still. I have a set of We Are One Insiders (27mm inner) that I'm really happy with for example. I had my chain and derailleur fight a spoke a couple days ago...spoke lost. Would not have been fun with the Silvertons.

Also coming off of a 2.5 DHF a while back I'm never going back...2.3 yes, but the 2.5 is just a lot of tire for a bike like this in my opinion. Especially if you're already fast going down.
    Selling both could be an option. Not familiar with We Are One. Will need to look into those. I was really thinking of going with the Silvertons but you are right about the spoke issue. The spokes are supposed to be stronger but are they strong enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Cross-post from AZ forum, I currently ride a carbon Honzo w/ 140mm Pike, but otherwise built up as an XC race rig (Kona HT, AM geo-ish, not unlike Sniper). I was originally planning on a trail frame, but after riding the XC don't think I want to give up how well it climbed:

Wanted to follow up on this as I had the opportunity to do an extended demo of a buddies Sniper XC Elite in Large. Got a quick Mormon/Lower Natty loop in Friday night (ran out of light and have a shitty lamp), did a big McDowell ride yesterday (Dixie Mine->Prospector->Bell->Gateway->Windgate->Bell->Paradise->Lost Dog->Sunrise...a beatdown of tech ups and downs), and did Javalina TH to Buena Vista today. The bike is BADASS! Cannot believe how good it was at everything, basically the exact bike I'm looking for.

Intense Sniper-img_20181117_082932.jpg

Some misc thoughts:

I now understand why everyone rides full suspension at this point, damn thing is more capable in every measurable metric than my Honzo I feel.

I only weigh 145lb now, the frame (and fork) is definitely a noodle. If I weighed more I don't think I could get away with thrashing it through the stuff I did comfortably.

Coming from a hardtail, I felt the front was overpowered by the rear, would definitely throw a 34 stepcast on (possibly even drop it to 110mm pending how climbing is affected).

It has a 44mm offset fork, this coupled with a 50mm stem (still damn short) felt awkward to me. Felt like the geo was fighting steering inputs. I put a 40mm stem on and it felt a little better to me. Still felt like the front end kinda wanted to tuck under at times on steeps/rolling stuff (that I maybe shouldn't!), I think a 51mm offset would be more comfortable. They spec the trail builds with a 120mm 51mm offset fork for reference.

Was not a big fan of the 2.25 Rekons, not sure if that is adjustment period/needing a back-to-back with what I typically ride (2.35 Ikons). Would be tempted to slap some Minions on and rip for fun on occasion.

I'm not a huge fan of judging a bike by strava segments because so much is at play here, but recently have found my fitness has pretty much leveled so feel I can trust numbers. Basically faster down EVERYWHERE, and faster up in most places. I honestly didn't realize how much I favor "good" lines on my HT when going down, and how limited using your legs as suspension actually is. I suspect that when I fully trust some suspension I would be even faster going down.

I question if riding a bike like this will make me soft...honestly everything is so much easier it feels like cheating almost. Kinda the same feeling as when I ride by people racing SS. My plan to counter this is going rigid SS with my Honzo to remind me what hard really is.

Feel like I really need to focus on putting consistent power down and just spinning while seated, shocked at how much even 100mm of travel allows you to just mow over shit. Definitely feel like a bike like this allows one to focus on being fit vs. having technical skills.

Was worried that a L would feel tight in the cockpit, instead feel like the smaller cockpit allows me to have more control and move around on the bike better. I think this is somewhat related to a slightly longer wheelbase vs. my Honzo. My fear was that I would lose DH confidence, did not feel this way.

Surprised that the 32 SC, 100mm of travel, and a slammed stem/bar didn't feel terrifying. Actually felt pretty fine.

Overall, love the bike and will definitely be getting/building one. Issue now is that Large grey frames are currently unobtanium with no ETA from Intense. May buy a full build and swap/sell components, like the bike that much.

Chase

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cross-post from AZ forum, I currently ride a carbon Honzo w/ 140mm Pike, but otherwise built up as an XC race rig (Kona HT, AM geo-ish, not unlike Sniper). I was originally planning on a trail frame, but after riding the XC don't think I want to give up how well it climbed:

Wanted to follow up on this as I had the opportunity to do an extended demo of a buddies Sniper XC Elite in Large. Got a quick Mormon/Lower Natty loop in Friday night (ran out of light and have a shitty lamp), did a big McDowell ride yesterday (Dixie Mine->Prospector->Bell->Gateway->Windgate->Bell->Paradise->Lost Dog->Sunrise...a beatdown of tech ups and downs), and did Javalina TH to Buena Vista today. The bike is BADASS! Cannot believe how good it was at everything, basically the exact bike I'm looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181117_082932.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	1225387

Some misc thoughts:

I now understand why everyone rides full suspension at this point, damn thing is more capable in every measurable metric than my Honzo I feel.

I only weigh 145lb now, the frame (and fork) is definitely a noodle. If I weighed more I don't think I could get away with thrashing it through the stuff I did comfortably.

Coming from a hardtail, I felt the front was overpowered by the rear, would definitely throw a 34 stepcast on (possibly even drop it to 110mm pending how climbing is affected).

It has a 44mm offset fork, this coupled with a 50mm stem (still damn short) felt awkward to me. Felt like the geo was fighting steering inputs. I put a 40mm stem on and it felt a little better to me. Still felt like the front end kinda wanted to tuck under at times on steeps/rolling stuff (that I maybe shouldn't!), I think a 51mm offset would be more comfortable. They spec the trail builds with a 120mm 51mm offset fork for reference.

Was not a big fan of the 2.25 Rekons, not sure if that is adjustment period/needing a back-to-back with what I typically ride (2.35 Ikons). Would be tempted to slap some Minions on and rip for fun on occasion.

I'm not a huge fan of judging a bike by strava segments because so much is at play here, but recently have found my fitness has pretty much leveled so feel I can trust numbers. Basically faster down EVERYWHERE, and faster up in most places. I honestly didn't realize how much I favor "good" lines on my HT when going down, and how limited using your legs as suspension actually is. I suspect that when I fully trust some suspension I would be even faster going down.

I question if riding a bike like this will make me soft...honestly everything is so much easier it feels like cheating almost. Kinda the same feeling as when I ride by people racing SS. My plan to counter this is going rigid SS with my Honzo to remind me what hard really is.

Feel like I really need to focus on putting consistent power down and just spinning while seated, shocked at how much even 100mm of travel allows you to just mow over shit. Definitely feel like a bike like this allows one to focus on being fit vs. having technical skills.

Was worried that a L would feel tight in the cockpit, instead feel like the smaller cockpit allows me to have more control and move around on the bike better. I think this is somewhat related to a slightly longer wheelbase vs. my Honzo. My fear was that I would lose DH confidence, did not feel this way.

Surprised that the 32 SC, 100mm of travel, and a slammed stem/bar didn't feel terrifying. Actually felt pretty fine.

Overall, love the bike and will definitely be getting/building one. Issue now is that Large grey frames are currently unobtanium with no ETA from Intense. May buy a full build and swap/sell components, like the bike that much.

Chase
    Nice review Chase. Mine is sitting in my garage, weather in MD has been horrible since the bike came in. I have the Trail version and the bike seems built for high speeds, the longer wheelbase and geometry give it a very stable feel. Not built for rock gardens or super chunky stuff, but I knew that before I purchased.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Noodely? That's the SL frameset in the pic. What fork was it running? Since you're used a haredtail, was the flex simply due to the rear suspension? Did you get tire to chainstay or chain to tire contact?

Name:	IMG_20181117_082932.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	1225387

Some misc thoughts:

Chase
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The sniper is definitely not the stiffest frame. The blur feels much stiffer. Most noticeable when standing and pedaling with lockout on. Very obvious. I like the sniper geometry better though.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    The sniper is definitely not the stiffest frame. The blur feels much stiffer. Most noticeable when standing and pedaling with lockout on. Very obvious. I like the sniper geometry better though.
    The Blur is more of a traditional XC bike. The longer wheelbase, lighter frame and slack geo of the Sniper all contribute to the flex. I would have not noticed but when I looked for it, I could feel some flex. But, when I looked for it, I can also feel my Ibis Ripley flex as well, in fact they felt similar. Bottom line, heavier guys are going to feel some flex with the Sniper, the frame is light, 1,814 grams (4 lbs)

I'm 185# and it is not an issue, if you are 200+ and ride aggressively, you might want to take a few test rides before purchasing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, and where will I find said test ride?? Anyone got a Sniper in the Reno-Carson area? If you come to Tahoe and bring your Sniper, I'll buy pizza and beer for a test ride

To me, flex is only a problem if the tire is buzzing the chainstay or the chain is rubbing the tire, this is usually only in hard cornering or getting sideways of a drop. The only frame I ever kicked out of bed for flex was the Trek Full Stache.

I want light, so to me 4# vs 6# is a huge difference, but if someone can point me to a frame equal to the Sniper geo wise, that is also stiffer, well, that'd be an option.

The Blur is more of a traditional XC bike. The longer wheelbase, lighter frame and slack geo of the Sniper all contribute to the flex. I would have not noticed but when I looked for it, I could feel some flex. But, when I looked for it, I can also feel my Ibis Ripley flex as well, in fact they felt similar. Bottom line, heavier guys are going to feel some flex with the Sniper, the frame is light, 1,814 grams (4 lbs)

I'm 185# and it is not an issue, if you are 200+ and ride aggressively, you might want to take a few test rides before purchasing.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yeah, and where will I find said test ride?? Anyone got a Sniper in the Reno-Carson area? If you come to Tahoe and bring your Sniper, I'll buy pizza and beer for a test ride

To me, flex is only a problem if the tire is buzzing the chainstay or the chain is rubbing the tire, this is usually only in hard cornering or getting sideways of a drop. The only frame I ever kicked out of bed for flex was the Trek Full Stache.

I want light, so to me 4# vs 6# is a huge difference, but if someone can point me to a frame equal to the Sniper geo wise, that is also stiffer, well, that'd be an option.
    I would never had noticed the flex if I did not specifically look for it. Today I hit a couple of jumps on slight downhills, big enough to bottom out the shock and fork. I felt some flex. I felt the same thing with my Ripley.

The Sniper has a very stable pedaling platform, I stood and climbed steep fire roads today and did not feel any flex. I doubt it is an issue unless you are heavy and hammering rock gardens or if you ride where you might catch big air.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Define hammering rock gardens and catching big air. For perspective, I rode the Whole Enchilada a few weeks ago, the lastv1/3 of which I rode more or less wide open, rarely touching the brakes. That was on my Smash.

The Sniper is replacing a GG Pedalhead, steel framed, moderately short CS, fairly slack, and quite long. Its being replaced because I want something that wonít trash my bones on long rides but is still playful for mellow terrain. My idea of mellow terrain is Kings Canyon to Ash Canyon or Van Sickle (Tahoe-Carson trails), also the sandy flow trails in my backyard. Iím one of those guys who never met a rock that wasnít jumpable

Whatever short travel bike I get, itíll get jumped and plowed through rock gardens at speed cuz thatís how I ride. I expect to occasionally exceed the bikes limits, otherwise Iíd be getting a bike that overlaps too much with my Smash.

Think aggressive geo hardtail with some cush in the rear, lightweight, no crazy expensive. Iím still looking hard at the Trail 429 and the Trance Pro 29.

I would never had noticed the flex if I did not specifically look for it. Today I hit a couple of jumps on slight downhills, big enough to bottom out the shock and fork. I felt some flex. I felt the same thing with my Ripley.

The Sniper has a very stable pedaling platform, I stood and climbed steep fire roads today and did not feel any flex. I doubt it is an issue unless you are heavy and hammering rock gardens or if you ride where you might catch big air.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Define hammering rock gardens and catching big air. For perspective, I rode the Whole Enchilada a few weeks ago, the lastv1/3 of which I rode more or less wide open, rarely touching the brakes. That was on my Smash.

The Sniper is replacing a GG Pedalhead, steel framed, moderately short CS, fairly slack, and quite long. Its being replaced because I want something that wonít trash my bones on long rides but is still playful for mellow terrain. My idea of mellow terrain is Kings Canyon to Ash Canyon or Van Sickle (Tahoe-Carson trails), also the sandy flow trails in my backyard. Iím one of those guys who never met a rock that wasnít jumpable

Whatever short travel bike I get, itíll get jumped and plowed through rock gardens at speed cuz thatís how I ride. I expect to occasionally exceed the bikes limits, otherwise Iíd be getting a bike that overlaps too much with my Smash.

Think aggressive geo hardtail with some cush in the rear, lightweight, no crazy expensive. Iím still looking hard at the Trail 429 and the Trance Pro 29.
    I was seriously considering the Trance 29. I suspect our riding is not that different, I rode TWE minus Burro a few months ago and mostly blew thru aside from some sight seeing. Trance is no longer on the radar bc I liked the sniper so much.

Intense Sniper-strava5980613425723205232.jpg

At 150ish lb I feel this bike is perfect for me, if I were 175+ I don't know I wouldn't be happier on a primer or trance. I didn't have CS rub or anything like that, can just feel a bit of compliance almost like AL vs. carbon rims. Ultimately I don't feel it is a performance factor so much as feel...I'm looking for performance, and def didn't feel like it was gonna blow up under me so am not concerned about it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You rode the Enchilada on a Sniper and it didn't self destruct?

Okay, now we're talking! So how is yours set up? I wouldn't go weight weenie, so either a Fox 34 SC 120 or a Pike 120; I'm a Pike fan and I have a spare Ramp cartridge.

I just want llightweight flier than won't crumple when I hammer. I hammer now on a steel hardtail with a Pike, so I just want that performance without beatinig myself up as much.

I have a Hendrix (Marshall) set up 27+, overshocked to ~120mm, Pike 130mm, it's a great little trail bike, no complaints, it lives in my brother's garage and it's probably going to my daughter's house; it's also a tad short for me.

I was seriously considering the Trance 29. I suspect our riding is not that different, I rode TWE minus Burro a few months ago and mostly blew thru aside from some sight seeing. Trance is no longer on the radar bc I liked the sniper so much.

Name:	strava5980613425723205232.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	1225533

At 150ish lb I feel this bike is perfect for me, if I were 175+ I don't know I wouldn't be happier on a primer or trance. I didn't have CS rub or anything like that, can just feel a bit of compliance almost like AL vs. carbon rims. Ultimately I don't feel it is a performance factor so much as feel...I'm looking for performance, and def didn't feel like it was gonna blow up under me so am not concerned about it.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

Formerly of Kent
    Ben, I think youíd be surprised what an XC bike can handle.

There are a couple sections of Porc where 6 of the top 10, all time (of 22,000+ unique riders) are guys on 120mm or less bikes.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You rode the Enchilada on a Sniper and it didn't self destruct?

Okay, now we're talking! So how is yours set up? I wouldn't go weight weenie, so either a Fox 34 SC 120 or a Pike 120; I'm a Pike fan and I have a spare Ramp cartridge.

I just want llightweight flier than won't crumple when I hammer. I hammer now on a steel hardtail with a Pike, so I just want that performance without beatinig myself up as much.

I have a Hendrix (Marshall) set up 27+, overshocked to ~120mm, Pike 130mm, it's a great little trail bike, no complaints, it lives in my brother's garage and it's probably going to my daughter's house; it's also a tad short for me.
    Rode it on my Honzo...the Sniper would be a Cadillac in comparison! Definitely agree with Le Duke's comments, XC bikes these days are highly capable (why I like the Sniper so much in the first place). I'm basically looking for the fastest bike overall for gnar up and gnar down...this category of bikes is it in my opinion. Not getting beat to hell will be a benefit as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Ben, I think youíd be surprised what an XC bike can handle.

There are a couple sections of Porc where 6 of the top 10, all time (of 22,000+ unique riders) are guys on 120mm or less bikes.

Not to derail, but what other bikes do you see in this catagory?

Also, there has been some talk of other companies entering this market. Any specualtions?

Right now the Sniper is at the top of my list. I will probably wait until spring to pull the trigger.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Not to derail, but what other bikes do you see in this catagory?

Also, there has been some talk of other companies entering this market. Any specualtions?

Right now the Sniper is at the top of my list. I will probably wait until spring to pull the trigger.

Thanks
    Depends on what aspects of the Sniper you're particularly interested in, but some off the top of my head that seem to fall within the spectrum of either light/shorter travel/more aggressive geo/etc...basically something more than your typical old-school XC bike, but not full-on trail either:

Yeti SB100
    Specialized Epic Evo
    Fezzari Signal Peak
    BMC FourStroke 01
    Whyte S120
    Giant Trance 29

The Sniper is of most interest to me as it couples very light with aggressive geo more so than any other bike I'm aware of.

mtbr member
    Depends on what aspects of the Sniper you're particularly interested in, but some off the top of my head that seem to fall within the spectrum of either light/shorter travel/more aggressive geo/etc...basically something more than your typical old-school XC bike, but not full-on trail either:

Yeti SB100
    Specialized Epic Evo
    Fezzari Signal Peak
    BMC FourStroke 01
    Whyte S120
    Giant Trance 29

The Sniper is of most interest to me as it couples very light with aggressive geo more so than any other bike I'm aware of.
    yep...
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyone happen to have a line on a large SL frame? I didn't pull the trigger on preorder of a camo bc I wanted a grey and now they're not showing any stock til after the new year.

Will pay a premium over MSRP bc I really want to build over the winter break.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone happen to have a line on a large SL frame? I didn't pull the trigger on preorder of a camo bc I wanted a grey and now they're not showing any stock til after the new year.

Will pay a premium over MSRP bc I really want to build over the winter break.
    Those things sold out in like 3 days once we got them in. This is a really good deal on a lightly used Demo bike in an Elite build. Sell the parts or use what you want from it?
    https://intensecycles.com/collection...ite-large-demo

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Question here...I have a Race Face Turbine cranks on my 2019 Sniper Trail frame and wanted to upgrade to RF SL G4. Anyone know the crank spindle size for this frame using Race Face Next SL G4? I believe the BB shell size is 73mm and therefore the 30mm x 134 should be the size but wanted to make sure since there are 2 other options.

Three options of 30mm x 134(68/73mm), 30mm x 170 and 30mm x 190.

Thanks!

Formerly of Kent
    The second and third options you listed are for fat bikes...

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Those things sold out in like 3 days once we got them in. This is a really good deal on a lightly used Demo bike in an Elite build. Sell the parts or use what you want from it?
    https://intensecycles.com/collection...ite-large-demo
    Any chance there is a trail one coming?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks Le Duke!

The second and third options you listed are for fat bikes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Last weekend I was finally able to demo the Sniper Trail. I broke my frame earlier in the fall and have been without a bike for a couple months. Lots of shopping and a couple demos but I'm still unsure. My LBS is an Intense dealer so I took a Sniper trail out for the weekend. It's pretty close to the Expert build.

About me - 48yo, 155lbs, road racer and some MTB racing. I'm 6'1" and was on a large they don't have an XL in the rental fleet. I would buy an XL though. Minimal ride time on 120mm bikes, although I did demo a 140mm RM Instinct a couple weeks before.

Saturday I got out for 55 miles, 4800ft, and 4:50.
    Sunday was 32 miles, 2800ft and 2:50.
    Both days were a bunch of up and down and a good variety of the trails here in Bend, OR. Nothing crazy but what I would typically ride.

The Bike was a blast! Climbed well, although I need to get used to full suspension climbing compared to hardtail climbing. This was a heavy build kit with heavy wheels and tubes, With lighter wheels, tubeless, and better pressures I bet the climbing would be so much better. The middle/trail setting on the shock did make a difference in climbing. On techy climbs this bike was great. I was clearing uphill rock sections that normally give me a hard time on the hardtail. Only time I was frustrated climbing was when transitioning from a fast flat section to a short punchy climb - normally I would just stand up and jam over it but I had trouble doing that with this bike. The suspension would bob too much and slow me down. I think I just need to learn to stay in the saddle and spin up this type of hill. The place where a remote would be nice to have.

Flat ground was great. The suspension easily smoothed all the rocks, roots, and bumps. Big advantage when compared to my hardtail. Felt efficient and not power sapping.

On the downhills this bike comes alive. Set some prs over the weekend and had a blast doing it. On Saturday I was on fumes by the time I hit one of my favorite downhills. The bike kept me safe even though I was trying to push it while close to bonking.

As far as flex goes, I didn't really notice it. I'm not sure I'm experienced enough with different full suspension frames to be a good judge.

I'm trying to decide if this is the type of bike for me. I've been hardcore XC for so long but long rides have been beating me up more recently. Maybe it's time to chill and play with a bit more suspension.

Couple pictues:

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am wondering the same thing. Please help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    Question here...I have a Race Face Turbine cranks on my 2019 Sniper Trail frame and wanted to upgrade to RF SL G4. Anyone know the crank spindle size for this frame using Race Face Next SL G4? I believe the BB shell size is 73mm and therefore the 30mm x 134 should be the size but wanted to make sure since there are 2 other options.

Thanks!
    I was wondering the same thing. Please help.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorisol View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Please help.
    The question was already answered...

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yes, but in usual fashion a lot of inferences and not the details

ideally you want either the 134 axle (51mm CL) or 136 axle (52mm CL) with a Boost offset chaingear (3mm offset) rather than standard 1x offset (6mm offset).

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    Yes, but in usual fashion a lot of inferences and not the details

ideally you want either the 134 axle (51mm CL) or 136 axle (52mm CL) with a Boost offset chaingear (3mm offset) rather than standard 1x offset (6mm offset).
    Alternately, he can buy a similarly sized Cannondale Hollowgram axle, if adjusting q-factor and chain line are of interest. The RF axle/spline interface is a duplicate of Cannondale.

There are a LOT more choices if you go down that road.

But, FYI, the 109mm, 104mm, and other much narrower versions are for road bikes, if that wasnít obvious.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah, but weíre talking about mtb and also the question was specifically Race Face on a frame with a 12 x 148 Boost rear, which these details apply directly to the pdf link on their website.

https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdf

I just get a little frustrated looking through some of these threads and thereís a lot of generality expressed that eventually is as clear as well ridden mud due to the gaps that arenít filled in. Typical I suppose for the average non-technical enthusiast.

As an example, Spider 275 thread talks about 32t oval and 34t round being the largest CG that will fit, but thereís no reference on chain line or non-boost/boost spacing. So three plus years of yacking and gabbing later and itís still not really clear until you mount something up and find out. It should be Boost spacing/CL, but it leaves you open to making an assumption that may or may not be true.

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Hereís the problem. From one company to another, the degree of ovality differs, sometimes significantly.

So, unless you talk about AND list each brand and size of oval chainring, youíre still just talking in generalities. Saying that a 34T oval ring ďworksĒ doesnít go far enough.

And then, what exactly are we saying when we say that? How far off the chain stay is acceptable to the masses?

Last edited by Le Duke; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:35 AM.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Finally finished up my Sniper and got out for a shakedown ride.

Went with an XC frame and a 34SC shock. Build is around 23lbs with the dropper - 22 without.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skibumnh View Post

Went with an XC frame and a 34SC shock. Build is around 23lbs with the dropper - 22 without.

Very respectable weight. What size frame?
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Very respectable weight. What size frame.
    5í10 / 32Ē IS / long arms on a large. 40mm stem right now because thatís what I had lying around but Iíll probably go 50mm as I dial in the cockpit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Nice, this is basically my exact build assuming I can ever track a frame down. Goal is/was 22-23ish.

Happy with it/what bike are you moving from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice, this is basically my exact build assuming I can ever track a frame down. Goal is/was 22-23ish.

Happy with it/what bike are you moving from?
    So far so good - I need to do some work dialing in the suspension. Right now things feel imbalanced where the fork softer off the top and more linear feeling than the rear.

My other bike is a Ripley LS with a 140mm 34 up front / 120 rear and I donít think I am going to get rid of it. Itís a very different bike than the Sniper even though they have similar travel numbers.

The Ripley LS is has that magic DW effect of riding much bigger than its numbers while still having very good pedaling efficiency.

The Ripley is more playful, poppy (this might be a function of shock tune so may be able to get the Sniper to be a bit more poppy) and obviously more plush all around and is maybe 80-90% the climbing efficiency of the Sniper.

The Sniper XC is stiffer platform pedaling out of the saddle and the steeper ST and lower stack mean very little to no input is required to keep the front wheel from wandering whereas on the Rip you need to get up on the nose of the saddle.

I love the front end on the Sniper. The reach and the HA combine for a more confidence inspiring ride than the Ripley, even with 20mm less travel but the back end not matching the capability of the front keeps you pretty honest.

I think at the moment if I could do it over I would have bought the trail shock instead of the XC tune. (If anyone wants to trade let me know) If I lived in a place where the trails were more buff I could see the XC tune being great but here in New England itís a rock and root strewn puncherís paradise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hereís the problem. From one company to another, the degree of ovality differs, sometimes significantly.

So, unless you talk about AND list each brand and size of oval chainring, youíre still just talking in generalities. Saying that a 34T oval ring ďworksĒ doesnít go far enough.

And then, what exactly are we saying when we say that? How far off the chain stay is acceptable to the masses?

Well I donít know anyone offering that much variability on oval MTB cg. Typically the oval cg being equal in clearance as +2t round cg. On the otherhand, 3 or 4mm of chainline is going to a bigger difference than one oval cg over another. Kind of like splitting hairs vs dicing onions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post

Thanks!
    30mm x 134(68/73mm)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So far so good - I need to do some work dialing in the suspension. Right now things feel imbalanced where the fork softer off the top and more linear feeling than the rear.

My other bike is a Ripley LS with a 140mm 34 up front / 120 rear and I donít think I am going to get rid of it. Itís a very different bike than the Sniper even though they have similar travel numbers.

The Ripley LS is has that magic DW effect of riding much bigger than its numbers while still having very good pedaling efficiency.

The Ripley is more playful, poppy (this might be a function of shock tune so may be able to get the Sniper to be a bit more poppy) and obviously more plush all around and is maybe 80-90% the climbing efficiency of the Sniper.

The Sniper XC is stiffer platform pedaling out of the saddle and the steeper ST and lower stack mean very little to no input is required to keep the front wheel from wandering whereas on the Rip you need to get up on the nose of the saddle.

I love the front end on the Sniper. The reach and the HA combine for a more confidence inspiring ride than the Ripley, even with 20mm less travel but the back end not matching the capability of the front keeps you pretty honest.

I think at the moment if I could do it over I would have bought the trail shock instead of the XC tune. (If anyone wants to trade let me know) If I lived in a place where the trails were more buff I could see the XC tune being great but here in New England itís a rock and root strewn puncherís paradise.

From geometry charts, a large Ripley LS with 140 fork has a slack STA of about 72.5? A 130 fork has a 73d STA.
    And a large Sniper XC with 120 fork has a STA of about 73.5? The 100/100 is 74 STA.
    Presuming the softer shock tune of the Ripley makes it ride even shallower in back factoring in sag. If I'm not too far off base, that 1 deg is indeed a huge diff. One of my bikes has just a .5 deg STA chip, and it's night and day to me even when setting up the soft trail shock sag. You've got two completely different "feel" with xc vs trail tune, 1 degree STA diff. Not to mention the reach and stack. Definitely two completely different bikes.

Wonder if the DW Ripley pedaling dynamics would be even closer to the softer 120mm Trail Sniper.

mtbr member
    I almost bought a Sniper XC. The skittles paint job kinda threw me off and I really didn't want to wait for the grey to come in.

I ended up buying an Orange Stage 4 with damn near the same geometry with 10 mm more travel. Having never ridden a Sniper I can't compare these two, but from reading this thread they sound similar.

About the only thing different really is the frame weight. My large came in at 3.0 kg on the nose. I mated it to a Fox 34 SC and the bike comes in at 23.5 lbs w/o dropper which is comparable as well.

It would be cool if someone could actually compare the ride of these two bikes.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I almost bought a Sniper XC. The skittles paint job kinda threw me off and I really didn't want to wait for the grey to come in.

I ended up buying an Orange Stage 4 with damn near the same geometry with 10 mm more travel. Having never ridden a Sniper I can't compare these two, but from reading this thread they sound similar.

About the only thing different really is the frame weight. My large came in at 3.0 kg on the nose. I mated it to a Fox 34 SC and the bike comes in at 23.5 lbs w/o dropper which is comparable as well.

6.6 pounds.
    Thinking aloud: when will Sniper frames (large in non-skittle color) be back in stock? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    ďI meant to quote a previous response but missed the right button on the phoneĒ Thinking of selling both wheel sets. I only have a few rides in on the carbon wheels that came on it and I really like the wider rim profile. This thing really has some grip with them. I wouldnít even consider selling them as I held out for The Elite build to get them and like them. But when you win an uber-expensive set you can start going dream build. So I will be going with the new Enves and Project 321 hubs. Same internal width, lighter weight, better engagement.
    Anyway when I go to sell the existing wheel set how do I describe them. I understand they are manufactured by Reynolds. Are they equivalent to the the TR 309?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

While I know single pivot bikes have come a long way. I just don't see that riding as well as a VPP. Yes I've owned and ridden single bikes.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    While I know single pivot bikes have come a long way. I just don't see that riding as well as a VPP. Yes I've owned and ridden single bikes.
    Just sold my SC Blur XC and the Orange climbs just as well with better traction on the loose.

What's interesting is that the Blur also comes with a lockout for the shock.

Glad your are an expert in the latest bike offerings though.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Expert vs Pro build in a "trail" version, is this way better value? I see its a suspension upgrade, with carbon cockpit. any takes on if the $1000 difference is "worth it?" from a value stand point? I'd be upgrading my wheel set to carbons as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    6.6 pounds.
    Thinking aloud: when will Sniper frames (large in non-skittle color) be back in stock? Anyone know?
    This is a question of mine as well...in the website chat the Intense employee said he didn't have any visibility on them into the new year. Waiting a month I'd probably do, longer and I think I will start considering alternatives more seriously. That said, more seriously fighting demons in my head saying I don't need a full sus XC race rig and an XCish SS so much as I need to make my Honzo into a race bike and get a bigger bike for general riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    Expert vs Pro build in a "trail" version, is this way better value? I see its a suspension upgrade, with carbon cockpit. any takes on if the $1000 difference is "worth it?" from a value stand point? I'd be upgrading my wheel set to carbons as well.
    Looks like it is also an upgrade in wheelset (more value for resale, or you could keep the DT350s of the Pro and build up with carbon rims) as well as frame weight. Has it been discussed in this thread the benefits beyond weight of an SL frame? Curious what stiffness implications there are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just sold my SC Blur XC and the Orange climbs just as well with better traction on the loose.

What's interesting is that the Blur also comes with a lockout for the shock.

Glad your are an expert in the latest bike offerings though.
    First never claimed to be. So nice dig.

So you're comparing probably one of the harshest riding XC VPP bikes to you Orange. Any way glad you like- that's all that matters as it's your bike.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Silverton SLs

Iíll scrounge up some cash or a kidney for those Silverton wheels if youíre selling...

They are scheduled to ship to me in late December. They look spectacular but I am a little bit more on the enduro side and not an XC racer. Will be posting them up later.

mtbr member
    First never claimed to be. So nice dig.

So you're comparing probably one of the harshest riding XC VPP bikes to you Orange. Any way glad you like- that's all that matters as it's your bike.
    Actually, I was comparing the GEOMETRY of the Orange to the Sniper and the reason I went the direction that I did by purchasing the Stage 4.

Mentioning the Blur was to convey the message that the Orange pedals comparably to an XC bike - specifically that XC bike having owned both. It does not pedal as well as the new Epics, which I have owned 2 (but sold due to failing shocks).

I'm sure the Sniper is a great bike and pedals fantastic from what I've read. I have no idea how the Blur or Orange compares riding wise to the Sniper. However, the geometry IS similar and if someone is looking at that type of bike geometry, they could quite cross shop unless carbon is "the best".
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    ...unless carbon is "the best".
    Can pretty certainly say that in this category of bike carbon is the best. Struggling to think of an argument against this.

mtbr member
    Can pretty certainly say that in this category of bike carbon is the best. Struggling to think of an argument against this.
    Really depends on where you ride. Plenty of arguments against carbon. But you just joined a year ago, so I'll let you do more research.

Also, define what category you are talking about. XC? Then please find me another XC bike with similar geometry outside of the 2019 BMC Fourstroke that is Carbon. That frameset alone is $4,200. Really not a bike/frame most people would cross shop to the Sniper.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Really depends on where you ride. Plenty of arguments against carbon. But you just joined a year ago, so I'll let you do more research.

Also, define what category you are talking about. XC? Then please find me another XC bike with similar geometry outside of the 2019 BMC Fourstroke that is Carbon. That frameset alone is $4,200. Really not a bike/frame most people would cross shop to the Sniper.
    He went there, hey FJ he's been on this forum longer so that means he knows more than any that joined after 2013.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Lol, I joined in 2008. Had to look that up.

I show this to all the folks skeptical about carbon. No matter how long you've been a keyboard warrior, high-mod carbon is just better than aluminum, in all ways. Just ask Boeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eMMf11uhM

I don't know about your carbon bike, but I'm pretty confident in my Tallboy CC!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sniper Trail Sizine.

Looking to pull the trigger on a Sniper Trail Pro.
    Can't decide on the size.
    At 5' 9 and a half I'm between size Medium and Large.
    Based on Stack I'd go with the Large.
    Based on reach Medium.
    Reading through the threads it seems like most tweeters are opting to move up a siz

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sniper Trail Size

Based on reach Medium.
    Reading through the threads it seems like most tweeners are opting to move up a size.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TracerJohn View Post
    Based on reach Medium.
    Reading through the threads it seems like most tweeters are opting to move up a siz
    Lot easier to add spacer to raise stack, you can only go so short on a stem.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Based on reach Medium.
    Reading through the threads it seems like most tweeners are opting to move up a size.
    5' 9.5" here as well (31" inseam).

I've ridden the L Trail & XC and both felt spot on for me with a 50mm stem. The Trail actually felt a bit better for me, the riser bar position is what I'm more used to.

For comparison, I have a L Flux carbon w/ 70mm stem and a L Czar with 90mm stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Based on reach Medium.
    Quite a few people have been opting to size up when in between. If the reach on the medium looks good to you, I would go more with the reach number than the stack. Stack height can be adjusted and the bike does have riser bars.

mtbr member
    Always go up a size. Mountain bikes, especially XC, traditionally have had top tubes that are too short. The Sniper and other bikes have corrected that. Just shorten the stem to get the same reach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Always go up a size. Mountain bikes, especially XC, traditionally have had top tubes that are too short. The Sniper and other bikes have corrected that. Just shorten the stem to get the same reach.
    +1
    Agree with you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bike already comes with a 50mm stem, not much room to go shorter, People used to size up because of old geo with shorter top tubes. Not sure I'd same the same now a days.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Edit: whoops, got my wires crossed. Feel free to delete this post.

mtbr member
    Bike already comes with a 50mm stem, not much room to go shorter, People used to size up because of old geo with shorter top tubes. Not sure I'd same the same now a days.
    What is a stem for? Somebody please tell me a good reason. There's always 30mm, that's over 3/4" of reach adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm in a similar situation as an HT XC racer and while I would be happy with some smoother downhills I can't quite give up the responsive feel blasting up short climbs, accelerating, etc. Wish this bike had lockout. I rode the Blur, and Epic and either solution (lockout/brain) is fine but prefer the geo on intense. Guess I need to save up for the new BMC Fourstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySTi View Post
    Last weekend I was finally able to demo the Sniper Trail. I broke my frame earlier in the fall and have been without a bike for a couple months. Lots of shopping and a couple demos but I'm still unsure. My LBS is an Intense dealer so I took a Sniper trail out for the weekend. It's pretty close to the Expert build.

About me - 48yo, 155lbs, road racer and some MTB racing. I'm 6'1" and was on a large they don't have an XL in the rental fleet. I would buy an XL though. Minimal ride time on 120mm bikes, although I did demo a 140mm RM Instinct a couple weeks before.

Saturday I got out for 55 miles, 4800ft, and 4:50.
    Sunday was 32 miles, 2800ft and 2:50.
    Both days were a bunch of up and down and a good variety of the trails here in Bend, OR. Nothing crazy but what I would typically ride.

The Bike was a blast! Climbed well, although I need to get used to full suspension climbing compared to hardtail climbing. This was a heavy build kit with heavy wheels and tubes, With lighter wheels, tubeless, and better pressures I bet the climbing would be so much better. The middle/trail setting on the shock did make a difference in climbing. On techy climbs this bike was great. I was clearing uphill rock sections that normally give me a hard time on the hardtail. Only time I was frustrated climbing was when transitioning from a fast flat section to a short punchy climb - normally I would just stand up and jam over it but I had trouble doing that with this bike. The suspension would bob too much and slow me down. I think I just need to learn to stay in the saddle and spin up this type of hill. The place where a remote would be nice to have.

Flat ground was great. The suspension easily smoothed all the rocks, roots, and bumps. Big advantage when compared to my hardtail. Felt efficient and not power sapping.

On the downhills this bike comes alive. Set some prs over the weekend and had a blast doing it. On Saturday I was on fumes by the time I hit one of my favorite downhills. The bike kept me safe even though I was trying to push it while close to bonking.

As far as flex goes, I didn't really notice it. I'm not sure I'm experienced enough with different full suspension frames to be a good judge.

I'm trying to decide if this is the type of bike for me. I've been hardcore XC for so long but long rides have been beating me up more recently. Maybe it's time to chill and play with a bit more suspension.

Couple pictues:

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What is a stem for? Somebody please tell me a good reason. There's always 30mm, that's over 3/4" of reach adjustment.
    Don't be obtuse- everyone knows what a stem is for. There's a 24.5mm difference from Medium to Large. So the change to a 30mm stem doesn't make up the full and if he happen to want it a little short no stem choice.

Does that spell out in enough detail for you?
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Based on reach Medium.
    FWIW I'm also 5'9" and with a 31" inseam and I don't have long arms. I went with the large Trail Elite. I think I am going to try a 40 mm stem, but really I feel fine on the stock 50mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    FWIW I'm also 5'9" and with a 31" inseam and I don't have long arms. I went with the large Trail Elite. I think I am going to try a 40 mm stem, but really I feel fine on the stock 50mm.
    The cockpit on the large Trail feels smaller than I expected with that 25" TT

mtbr member
    Don't be obtuse- everyone knows what a stem is for. There's a 24.5mm difference from Medium to Large. So the change to a 30mm stem doesn't make up the full and if he happen to want it a little short no stem choice.

Does that spell out in enough detail for you?
    Haha, I know that a stem attaches the handlebars to the fork, of course. More of a philosophical question. Previously in XC it was claimed that a long stem "keeps the weight over the front on climbs," and other rhetoric that was a shortcut to really thinking things through.

So, why not a 0mm stem?

Formerly of Kent
    Haha, I know that a stem attaches the handlebars to the fork, of course. More of a philosophical question. Previously in XC it was claimed that a long stem "keeps the weight over the front on climbs," and other rhetoric that was a shortcut to really thinking things through.

So, why not a 0mm stem?
    Raises stack, and shortens reach by doing so.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Raises stack, and shortens reach by doing so.

I'm with you on raising stack, and to some extent reach should be tweakable via the stem length. But the question was to the old-school temptation of buying the smaller frame size since it's, according to old-school rhetoric, "nimbler."

It's a good sign that we can at least approach the idea of 0-stem in XC now, which would be considered laughable just a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I just received my 40mm stem and have yet to install. I am thinking it will put me in a tad bit more comfortable riding position in the flats, but I was also thinking, and hoping, it would make it just a little easier to get the front end up when trying to manual. Am I correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How anybody installed a Race Face BBP2 on their Sniper? I got one from a friend but I am not sure if it is all there. It does not have a shell. Do I have to have a shell with the bottom bracket to install on my Sniper?

I have the Race Face BB41923087 or RF2919

It seems like I am supposed to have a shell to the bottom bracket when I install?

I also am missing the red spacer that says "use with 92mm..." pictured here. The 92mm in the picture seems to be a thinner spacer inner diameter wise. Could I use the other one pictured just the same. https://www.evanscycles.com/race-fac...stems-EV202272

Please help.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorisol View Post
    How anybody installed a Race Face BBP2 on their Sniper? I got one from a friend but I am not sure if it is all there. It does not have a shell. Do I have to have a shell with the bottom bracket to install on my Sniper?

I have the Race Face BB41923087 or RF2919

It seems like I am supposed to have a shell to the bottom bracket when I install?

I also am missing the red spacer that says "use with 92mm..." pictured here. The 92mm in the picture seems to be a thinner spacer inner diameter wise. Could I use the other one pictured just the same. https://www.evanscycles.com/race-fac...stems-EV202272

Please help.
    The middle tube/shell is to keep water from inside the frame to get into the bearings. You don't have to have it, but it might reduce your bearing life if you don't.

The thin spacer goes on the middle tube to expand it out to 92mm. The Sniper has a 92mm BB shell. The thick spacer goes between the BB and crank if you have a 89.5mm BB shell, which you do not.

https://www.raceface.com/media/BB_92...tion_Guide.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The middle tube/shell is to keep water from inside the frame to get into the bearings. You don't have to have it, but it might reduce your bearing life if you don't.

The thin spacer goes on the middle tube to expand it out to 92mm. The Sniper has a 92mm BB shell. The thick spacer goes between the BB and crank if you have a 89.5mm BB shell, which you do not.

https://www.raceface.com/media/BB_92...tion_Guide.pdf
    Thank you much. If I don't have the shell I still need the thin spacer to make everything fit correctly I'm assuming?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011