Intense Sniper - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 2,000 of 2022

Thread: Intense Sniper

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm josh View Post
    Hmm I have just finished a ride and my top link mod seems to be holding up fine but I noticed some flex, it now appears to be coming from lower link, checked all torque settings, removed re greased it re torqued and no good, perhaps when the top link bearing start shifting it puts too much load on the lower link and slightly off axis to the linkage which looks like it has caused some wear to the rear most lower linkage. Looks like Iím going to need a replacement.
    What is your top link mod? Did you make a brace?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jtstj View Post
    What is your top link mod? Did you make a brace?
    Hi, I removed material from the inside bearing spacers, This moves the outer race of the bearing inward toward the shoulder inside the linkage itself so the bearing cannot move sideways inside the linkage even without the retaining compound. I just took off a little at a time and kept re installing until there was minimal sideways movement, you have to be careful not to go too far otherwise you will preload the bearing with axial thrust and potentially prematurely wear the bearing. I settled on removing 0.48mm, 0.45 might be ok too. The only negative i can see is that this also reduces the clearance between the two tabs that come off each side of the seat stay and join the linkage, so potentially could cause some noise if debris was to get in there, i have not heard anything yet however. The brace might be better as it will retain the clearances, i just needed a solution to keep riding in the mean time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Thanks for all the information here on the Sniper. I was all built up to get one until I got into this thread. At least a brace is coming???? I hope. I went ahead and purchased ASSUMING it will be produced. A little worried. Iím 160-165lbs so hoping my weight will be fine but want to be precautionary on this. Hoping for a great ride. Itís a lot of dough.
    I'm 170lbs and have definitely pushed my sniper to it's limits on some rowdy trails here in SoCal. Some flex in the rear but nothing horrible. I'm sure adding the brace will help me ride it even harder with less worry. At your weight I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hi, I removed material from the inside bearing spacers, This moves the outer race of the bearing inward toward the shoulder inside the linkage itself so the bearing cannot move sideways inside the linkage even without the retaining compound. I just took off a little at a time and kept re installing until there was minimal sideways movement, you have to be careful not to go too far otherwise you will preload the bearing with axial thrust and potentially prematurely wear the bearing. I settled on removing 0.48mm, 0.45 might be ok too. The only negative i can see is that this also reduces the clearance between the two tabs that come off each side of the seat stay and join the linkage, so potentially could cause some noise if debris was to get in there, i have not heard anything yet however. The brace might be better as it will retain the clearances, i just needed a solution to keep riding in the mean time.
    That's a great solution. The wider bearing is similar in theory. I will definitely look at this. I purchased the $35 brace and it should be here next week. The bike comes in on Monday. I'm a preventative guy. I'll ride it without the brace if the brace does not arrive tomorrow too, but when it arrives I'll definitely be installing it. Might not be a bad idea to take off some material inside the bearing spacers too. This might be a two-fold final solution. Thanks for sharing. Only question I have is how you took the material off. I apologize, this is all new to me. I work on Jeeps mechanically and suspension, but not on bikes, but now I am very interested, so a new hobby has sprung and I'm soaking up the good knowledge on here. I have grinding wheels, etc... to work off material, but sometimes it comes too fast.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffas84 View Post
    I'm 170lbs and have definitely pushed my sniper to it's limits on some rowdy trails here in SoCal. Some flex in the rear but nothing horrible. I'm sure adding the brace will help me ride it even harder with less worry. At your weight I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's an awesome bike.
    I can't wait! Totally pumped. Bike arrives tomorrow. Super light, super good climber, handles some mild downhill. Should be a winner. I'm looking to gain some new skills and confidence. Never ridden anything but a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    That's a great solution. The wider bearing is similar in theory. I will definitely look at this. I purchased the $35 brace and it should be here next week. The bike comes in on Monday. I'm a preventative guy. I'll ride it without the brace if the brace does not arrive tomorrow too, but when it arrives I'll definitely be installing it. Might not be a bad idea to take off some material inside the bearing spacers too. This might be a two-fold final solution. Thanks for sharing. Only question I have is how you took the material off. I apologize, this is all new to me. I work on Jeeps mechanically and suspension, but not on bikes, but now I am very interested, so a new hobby has sprung and I'm soaking up the good knowledge on here. I have grinding wheels, etc... to work off material, but sometimes it comes too fast.
    Good to see yours arrives soon, yea i think you will be fine with the brace, the bikes are great its just this small issue with the rear linkage is my only complaint. There are not many bikes you can KOM up a hill and then KOM down the other side and the sniper fits this bill as long as its not too rocky going down.
    I removed the material with a large sharpening stone just applying pressure with my finger and a figure 8 pattern to keep it nice and flat.
    Id just stick with the brace to start with as there are no potential downsides as far as i can tell. If there are problems in the future maybe you could do this.

mtbr member
    I just did 103km in an 8 Hour XC endurance race on Saturday. Rode the bike as hard as I could for 8 hours straight in sandy/dusty conditions. The bike was flawless. I'm running the top link brace I made and everything on the bike is still tight and play free. Only thing was a slight creak that developed in the BB but I think a quick rebuild down there will make everything super quiet again. The bike is a blast to race with.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

.:grupettolife.com: mtbrealtors.com:.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Brace in today!

Got the brace in today. I would've liked to have taken it for a spin, but unfortunately the rear shock is with Fox for a 2nd warranty replacement. Later this week though, looking forward to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Sniper-sniper_brace.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    that's a really nice piece.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy.ca View Post
    My build up so far:

Sniper Trail SL 120mm
    Fox Step Cast 34 120mm
    Bar: Enve M6 31.8 x 770mm
    Stem: Enve 55mm
    Grips: ESI
    HS: Chris King
    Brakes: Sram Level Ultimate 180/160
    Drivetrain: Eagle XX1 (AXS coming)
    Crankset: Rotor INPower 170mm
    CR: Rotor Oval 34T
    BB: Rotor Ceramic
    Pedals: XTR
    Seatpost: Enve
    Seat: WTB Volt carbon
    Wheelset: Enve M525
    Tires: 2.25 Nobby Nick
    Oi bell
    Lezyne Micro C GPS
    Misc Ti Bolts
    Seat stay brace
    23lb 5oz
    I'm also putting together a 120mm trail build with an Eagle AXS drivetrain, I was just wondering how you handled the cable routing under the bottom bracket?

Intense provides a little spacer to put between the rear brake and derailleur cables to keep a ~38mm cable loop under the bottom bracket but not sure the best way to keep everything secure without the second (derailleur) cable to tie off to...

Additionally, did you find anything (rubber grommets or the like) or come up with a good solution to plug the unused holes for the internal cable routing? I guess I could leave them open but I'd like to keep any excess water and stuff out.
    Last edited by TDKn; 09-25-2019 at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDKn View Post
    I'm also putting together a 120mm trail build with an Eagle AXS drivetrain, I was just wondering how you handled the cable routing under the bottom bracket?

Intense provides a little spacer to put between the rear brake and derailleur cables to keep a ~38mm cable loop under the bottom bracket but not sure the best way to keep everything secure without the second (derailleur) cable to tie off to...

Additionally, did you find anything (rubber grommets or the like) or come up with a good solution to plug the unused holes for the internal cable routing? I guess I could leave them open but I'd like to keep any excess water and stuff out.
    Intense Sniper-img_3015.jpg

Didn't do anything under the BB currently, but was thinking of running some heat shrink tubing maybe. Dunno yet. Might even look at some wax in the two holes.

As for the open unused holes, I used some scrap pieces of vinyl to cover them up (see pic).
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Got my Intense on Monday. Woohoo! It's a Medium size
    Intense Sniper-bp-o6vcxsvmkseoa5mn-la.jpg
    Dropper post about 20mm too long. That's a little frustrating, makes me think I should have gone with a Small, but none are available, so oh, well. I can adjust some components (i.e. drop more $$$) and get it right. Seller offered a Fox Transfer 100mm dropper at wholesale ($200). The bike comes with a very nice torque wrench and tools, a decent shock pump and a really nice box.
    Intense Sniper-7sphwhfbrs6o6d6z5srs%25.jpg
    We converted it to Tubeless, set the fork sag to 15-20% and the shock to 25-30%, set rebound, added clipless pedals and went for a 13 mile ride. I didn't use all my front travel so I altered the psi slightly.
    Intense Sniper-ipskaknoqsks59dpwsdbyw.jpg.
    Bike feels solid. Quick on the flats and descents, decent on short hills, more cumbersome on long climbs, but overall effective. I love this bike. Doesn't come in at the advertised 26 lbs 4 oz, even when I converted to Tubeless, I expected it to come out with my pedals around 26 lb 14 oz, but it looks more like 28 lbs. Here she is in all her glory...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3015.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	1282105

Didn't do anything under the BB currently, but was thinking of running some heat shrink tubing maybe. Dunno yet. Might even look at some wax in the two holes.

As for the open unused holes, I used some scrap pieces of vinyl to cover them up (see pic).
    The vinyl over the holes is a really nice simple solution and looks good too. I think I may do something similar, thanks for the suggestion.

I might try to make a sort of grommet out of Sugru for the hose to keep it snug where it exits the internal guide at the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    I just did 103km in an 8 Hour XC endurance race on Saturday. Rode the bike as hard as I could for 8 hours straight in sandy/dusty conditions. The bike was flawless. I'm running the top link brace I made and everything on the bike is still tight and play free. Only thing was a slight creak that developed in the BB but I think a quick rebuild down there will make everything super quiet again. The bike is a blast to race with.
    Was that the Reggie Ramble?

My Sniper serves me well. It's a great XC bike and stood up well at the pointy end of some races. I suspect it'll be amazing for XCM next year. I do get some BB noises, but that's press fit for you. Otherwise it's really nice.
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

mtbr member
    Yeah, bb was noise free for the whole season almost. I didnít have any retaining compound for the bb cups. I popped the cups out, cleaned and put some anti seize paste and itís silent again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    On the Sniper Trail Elite/Pro builds, what's the custom tune ID number on the FOX Factory DPS shock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dindin View Post
    On the Sniper Trail Elite/Pro builds, what's the custom tune ID number on the FOX Factory DPS shock?
    I'm not clear on your question. What are the custom tune IDs, in general, or what is the specific custom tune on your shock? Are you familiar with going to Fox's website and looking the code up? It will tell you everything that is inside the shock or fork.
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...ke&ref=bc_help

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I have the SniperXC that I raced all summer and now would like to purchase a 120mm shock/fork. I'm looking for the specific custom tune ID that is on the 2019 Fox Factory DPS shock that is used on the Sniper Trail Elite/Pro build.

mtbr member
    That info was provided earlier in this thread.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I came across this tune ID DJNJ on a picture and in the tread. However, Fox's website says it's for a 2018 Performance Elite Series FLOAT TRUNNION.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    DJNK is the code on my trail shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    That code says it's a 2018 Factory Series FLOAT TRUNNION. I was looking for the 2019 code. I would think it would be the same config. I'm trying to confirm whether the 2019 Factory trail shock is using the EVOL LV or EVOL SV air sleeve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Having never in my 25 years of riding full suspension bikes gotten along with air inline shocks due to poor heat management, I bought a DPX2 from Ebay, tuned for an Evil The Following. Right out of the box, the shock felt right. The rebound adjustment is subtler and doesn't affect compression, the open compression setting (which is where I do most of my riding) has 10 steps of low speed comp, and the shock just feels plusher and more composed. The extra oil volume (the damper body is all oil, no IFP at the end, plus oil circulates into the piggyback) and extra material that the oil is circulating through, means hugely improved consistency. With the stock DPS shock, it only takes me 5 minutes of hard charging before the shock heats up so much that I have to adjust the rebound and let out some air of the shock. My work-around was to adjust the shock when hot, and then just live with an over-damped, under sprung shock when riding slow rides. But with the DPX2, the shock got barely luke warm after long downhill runs! No need to adjust anything!

The only negative is that it weighs 398g, versus 239g for the original DPS. In my book, that is worth it on the Trail model.
    Did this affect the use of the water bottle?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if we use 1 or two spacers per side when installing the cross brace?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    When I was trying to install the cross brace I just used the same equipment that was stock on the bike. No additional spacers come with the brace

mtbr member
    May 2012
    For anyone who has routed the cables through the frame are there guides internally or is it a fun way to spend an hour cursing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by macdaddyg2006 View Post
    Does anyone know if we use 1 or two spacers per side when installing the cross brace?
    You use all 4 spacers

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    For anyone who has routed the cables through the frame are there guides internally or is it a fun way to spend an hour cursing?
    The Sniper uses all internally routed cable guides. Really easy to route brake, shifter, dropper.

Formerly of Kent
    Tie 3ft of dental floss around cable housing. Suck floss down with vacuum.

Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Tie 3ft of dental floss around cable housing. Suck floss down with vacuum.

Problem solved.

Dats a good idear!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    But I don't floss

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Does anyone know if Intense is launching a new Sniper for 2020 or a new frame color way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron6614 View Post
    Does anyone know if Intense is launching a new Sniper for 2020 or a new frame color way?
    A post from 'creativefletch' a few weeks ago.
    "To clarify on that last post. We will also have a 2020 Sniper XC coming out, it will continue with the same frame as current with new paint and spec updates. The Sniper in trail configuration will have some frame modifications for more aggressive riders and terrain."

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Launch of 2020 is still a couple months out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Please make the trail in the same blue as the Primer 27.5.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windband View Post
    A post from 'creativefletch' a few weeks ago.
    "To clarify on that last post. We will also have a 2020 Sniper XC coming out, it will continue with the same frame as current with new paint and spec updates. The Sniper in trail configuration will have some frame modifications for more aggressive riders and terrain."
    I'm REALLY curious about what these updates (and how substantial they are) will look like, and how much it changes the character of the Trail model. I'm in the market for a new frame to replace my current FS, and the current Sniper Trail was at the top of the list for me--its back and forth between and Fezzari Signal Peak--ugh that name. I love the idea of a slack, light, 120mm frame, with 2 internal bottles cages--love that PNW mud all year long. That's all I need with my skill set, honestly.

I'd sell a kidney if the updates included more stack in the XL, shortened seatpost, and a threaded BB... I won't have the money until Jan/Feb for my new frame, but if the new version checks off many of my personal desires--especially if something like the red/digital camo options sticks around, I might have to find a way to make something happen so I don't miss out and have to wait on a potential restock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    It's most likely going to be a new triangle with some linkage changes and exactly same front triangle. New colors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Launch of 2020 is still a couple months out.
    Sweeeeet! I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    I'm REALLY curious about what these updates (and how substantial they are) will look like, and how much it changes the character of the Trail model. I'm in the market for a new frame to replace my current FS, and the current Sniper Trail was at the top of the list for me--its back and forth between and Fezzari Signal Peak--ugh that name. I love the idea of a slack, light, 120mm frame, with 2 internal bottles cages--love that PNW mud all year long. That's all I need with my skill set, honestly.

I'd sell a kidney if the updates included more stack in the XL, shortened seatpost, and a threaded BB... I won't have the money until Jan/Feb for my new frame, but if the new version checks off many of my personal desires--especially if something like the red/digital camo options sticks around, I might have to find a way to make something happen so I don't miss out and have to wait on a potential restock.
    If you need all of that to buy, I wouldn't bother waiting. Molds cost around 60k. As posted above I highly doubt the front triangle is going to change other than colors. The rear triangle is going to be beefed for the trail- that's it. I just can't see them investing in new molds for the front triangle after a year.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member

Sniper FML

Please excuse venting to follow:

Got the final version of the Sniper cross brace in, and went to install it. In doing so, I noticed some pretty stiff movement from the lower link. Upon further investigation, both bearings connecting RT to lower link are totally seized, which has led to a bunch of wear on the lower pivot axle, as the bearings were rotating on the axle rather than actually rotating. Also during this process, a bearing fell right out of the upper link (as has happened before).

At this point, my list of issues with the Sniper in one year is:
    -Upper link bearings get loose, new upper link sent.
    -Upper link bearings get loose again, new upper link sent again.
    -Shock trunnion bolt head shears off, new one sent.
    -Der. hanger nut backs out; amazingly I noticed this and was able to limp home, but ride ruined.
    -Upper link bearings get loose again, new upper link plus prototype of brace sent.
    -Lower link play, new lower link spacers sent.
    -Prototype brace loses one of its shoulder bolts; final version of brace sent.
    -While changing it, discover lower link bearings seized.
    -Also, bearing falls out of upper link, ďpress fitĒ at that location is a joke.

At this point, Iím just super frustrated with this machine. Itís been hanging from the work stand for about as many weeks as itís been rideable in the year Iíve had it. Iíve been building and working on bikes for 15 years, and donít think Iíve had as many issues with frame components, linkages etc. in all the other bikes Iíve owned combined.

I always use torque wrenches, and I know what Iím doing. Iíve owned a Ripmo during this same period, itís seen much more use (itís had to, with the Sniper out of commission all the time) including trips to Whistler and plenty of PNW mud, and the Ripmo has had zero issues.

Intense has sent me new parts when mine have gone bad. But my god, how many times have I had to contact them? Every time itís a week or two without a bike, waiting on some damn bolt or bearing or spacer. I honestly think the design of this linkage has been bad from the start, and Iím super frustrated.

At this point, Iím seriously considering just getting a Blur.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    ripmo is pretty solid. those lower bushings put me off at first, but have been much more durable than the old primer bearings.

that sounds like a really bad time. has Intense offered you any sort of goodwill for this apparent lemon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Please excuse venting to follow:

At this point, my list of issues with the Sniper in one year is:
    -Upper link bearings get loose, new upper link sent.
    -Upper link bearings get loose again, new upper link sent again.
    -Shock trunnion bolt head shears off, new one sent.
    -Der. hanger nut backs out; amazingly I noticed this and was able to limp home, but ride ruined.
    -Upper link bearings get loose again, new upper link plus prototype of brace sent.
    -Lower link play, new lower link spacers sent.
    -Prototype brace loses one of its shoulder bolts; final version of brace sent.
    -While changing it, discover lower link bearings seized.
    -Also, bearing falls out of upper link, ďpress fitĒ at that location is a joke.
    Iíve experienced exactly the same issues as you did, except I sold the bike way before the brace was announced. 2nd replacement upper link bearing became loose after first ride. I also remember being very surprised how bad the original lower link bearings felt when I was replacing that link.

mtbr member

At this point, Iím seriously considering just getting a Blur.
    Well then you better like play in the shock bolts. knock knock.

Get an OIZ. Much better than the Blur.

And just so you know, I've had 2 new Epics, a Blur, and the OIZ.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Well then you better like play in the shock bolts. knock knock.

Get an OIZ. Much better than the Blur.

And just so you know, I've had 2 new Epics, a Blur, and the OIZ.
    Good info, appreciate it. I was under the impression that the Blur was solid; Riding/messing with one, itís definitely the stiffest and most robust XC bike Iíve tried.

SB100 fits the bill but also has a bunch of issues.

Mach4 SL fits the bill but Iím not convinced by the design, bearings pressed directly into carbon frame seems like a potential problem...

Honestly Iíd really like a bike that will just fíing work week in and week out, even if ridden in PNW mud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Good info, appreciate it. I was under the impression that the Blur was solid; Riding/messing with one, itís definitely the stiffest and most robust XC bike Iíve tried.

Mach4 SL fits the bill but Iím not convinced by the design, bearings pressed directly into carbon frame seems like a potential problem...

Honestly Iíd really like a bike that will just fíing work week in and week out, even if ridden in PNW mud.
    Get a Scott Spark or Scale! Those are the best XC bikes. Just saying!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    that sounds like a really bad time. has Intense offered you any sort of goodwill for this apparent lemon?
    No. Intense has sent me new parts when I've contacted them, so that's good.

But it's actually been frustrating (as documented on this thread) that they seem shocked every time the upper link bearings get loose. I actually ended up getting the prototype brace because when I contacted them with the same issue in the 3rd upper link, they wanted to send me a 4th. I was like, "C'mon guys, these things are lasting a week on average."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Drew,

What is the feeling of a loose upper link bearing? Are you getting lateral play? Just curious.

I will say that Intense's customer service has been great contrary to what some others have said.

That being said, I went to put in the factory cross brace and found out that one of the rear triangle inset nuts had been cross threaded or something because I could not get the new cross brace bolt to thread in.

Intense Immediately sent me a new rear triangle and I got it all fixed up yesterday.

I hope my experience isn't that of Drewbird and that my links last especially with the new brace. Bike feels stiff and great. We will see how it lasts next race season.

mtbr member
    Drew,

What is the feeling of a loose upper link bearing? Are you getting lateral play? Just curious.

I will say that Intense's customer service has been great contrary to what some others have said.

That being said, I went to put in the factory cross brace and found out that one of the rear triangle inset nuts had been cross threaded or something because I could not get the new cross brace bolt to thread in.

Intense Immediately sent me a new rear triangle and I got it all fixed up yesterday.

I hope my experience isn't that of Drewbird and that my links last especially with the new brace. Bike feels stiff and great. We will see how it lasts next race season.
    The way to diagnose a loose upper link bearing is to test for lateral play in the seat stay/upper link junction. Grab your seat stay and see if you can move it side-to-side at the link. If it moves 1-2mm, that's your bearing shifting back and forth in its well. That will lead to tons of rear end flex when pedaling.

Once you install the brace this becomes a moot point, as the tops of the stays are mechanically captured by the brace. A loose bearing no longer matters with brace installed.

In general I suspect that the overall looseness of the original Sniper linkage (sans brace) was a problem for durability throughout the linkage. The amount of flex I was observing had to be placing a bunch of twisting strain on bearings, spacers, pivots etc. My hope is that I can get all-new everything except front and rear triangle, and see if starting from scratch with a brace-reinforced linkage is the fix.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rk47 View Post
    It's most likely going to be a new triangle with some linkage changes and exactly same front triangle. New colors.
    From my conversations with Intense, which have only been a few, this is what I expect. The rear triangle will have two forward braces instead of one. The front triangle remains the same.

Yes, new colors.

I am Walt

Iíve got almost 800 miles on my SB100 since mid-June, with no issues. After wanting a Sniper (badly), the issues scared me away, and I narrowed it down to a Blur TR or the SB100. Love my choice. YMMV...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    A quick update: After checking in with Intense, Chappy is sending me all new everything for the Sniper, with the exception of the front and rear triangles. Upper and lower links, bolts, spacers, pivot axles, the works. My HOPE is that this new hardware (which includes some revised parts), installed with a brace, will hold up better. Stiffer rear end means less lateral torque on bearings etc. We'll see.

At the very least, I have to commend Intense for quickly dispatching a bunch of hardware. I just wish I didn't need to go through this quite so often.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm hoping this finally fixes everything for you. Your recent posts had me looking at other brands/models, because hope of a durable bike was rapidly disappearing for me.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I have had the foundation trail model for almost a year now. I have replaced the upper link and added the cross brace. I would like to now do some upgrades to the bike and I'm looking for suggestions for upgrades that will give me the most bang for my buck.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have had the foundation trail model for almost a year now. I have replaced the upper link and added the cross brace. I would like to now do some upgrades to the bike and I'm looking for suggestions for upgrades that will give me the most bang for my buck.
    #1 upgrade is always wheels unless they are top notch. I am assuming you are still running stock wheels?

Take a look at these:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...2ef05c38sGwyhr

If you scroll down on the chart you can see the different build ups of rim styles. I can't find my exact rim on their site anymore, but just email Angela and tell her what you are looking for. They will make variations for you and unless it is an upgraded part it will stay the same price.

My rims are the 33-22UL so 325g for 29" asym 28h hookless 28mm internal width rims. I had them build them with DT swiss 350 w/ upgraded 36t ratchet and cx-ray spokes.
    $792 shipped to my door.

1380g total

If you go back to some of my posts I have a list of upgrades I made to my bike. All pretty reasonable. Post #1656 I have it listed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    As already mentioned below, wheels are always an important upgrade and make a huge difference. Next would be to upgrade your suspension. That will turn that into a completely new and different bike! Next I might take a look at those brakes. They're budget Shimano. Even going to Shimano SLX 4 piston would be a great improvement, but I would go XT 4 piston. (And of course the Shimano haters will say SRAM, but whatever.)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looked over the Foundation build just now. I wouldn't upgrade the suspenion, because you should have just done that in the first place at that price point.
    What bang for the buck are you looking for? Weight or performance? Both.
    Other areas you can look into that are cheap weight savers are stem, handlebar, grips, Kabolt thru axle.

Biggest issue is it is running NX Eagle, which I believe runs on an Shimano style freehub and not an XD driver. So to upgrade a cassette to say a lighter XO Eagle you would need a new hub or free hub at least if you can. If you are replacing the wheels then I would make sure to get a hub built around an XD driver so you can upgrade your cassette.

You can upgrade your drivetrain, but SRAM parts are SRAM parts and will work mostly the same so it is more of a weight game. You can look at a carbon crankset if you want to shed grams. The two biggest spots to shave weight on the drive train are cassette and crank.

Last place I think you could look at is brakes. I don't know how well the SH-500 work, but I have always been an XT and sometimes XTR guy for brakes. A new set of XT 8000 can be found for under $200 and you can always look at the newer 4pot versions.

Hope this helps

Edit: Wind beat me by a minute

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What are you looking to get more of out of the bike? Lighter weight for longer riding/racing or a little burlier for trails? This will help give you an idea on how to upgrade for your desired usage.

mtbr member
    I'm just an average joe SoCal/LA area rider but ideally looking to make the bike lighter. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Your wheels are probably above 2000g for the set. You go with a set like I did and you are losing 600-700g which is roughly 1.5-1.75lbs of rotating mass. Easily the best thing you can do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm just an average joe SoCal/LA area rider but ideally looking to make the bike lighter. Thanks.
    Like many have mentioned upgrading the wheels/tires is going to be the biggest change you can make on that bike. Wheels/tires are a rotating mass so they have a much higher perceived weight savings than changing out a static part like a stem, bar, saddle. Changing to a lighter/faster rolling tire will be the cheapest and easiest with the greatest perceived weight savings. However, the lighter the tire the more prone it is to punctures and has less traction. A carbon wheelset and lighter hub will give you the second biggest perceived weight saving and will also increase structure and performance on a shorter travel bike. That being said, it is usually the most expensive upgrade to make. Is your Fork a 34 stepcast or a standard 34 lower?

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The biggest difference maker is wheels/hubs. You can get 30 mm carbon wheels with high end hubs (I chose I-9 Hydra Hubs), Sapim C Xray spokes, Sapim Secure Lock Alloy Nipple for ~ $1,100. I used CWUSA, https://cyclewheelsusa.com/.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I have the stepcast fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I need to say this moment that intense warranty is bullshit. My last warranty claim tooks 11 weeks and only what i got was fourth top link and not brace. Ive owned my frame around six months and there were +20 weeks warranty claims, not funny anymore. Im glad that this is not my only bike!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Huh,

That stinks. USA warranty? My experience is the exact opposite. Sent an email, next day they replied and asked for pics. Sent the pics the following day. Had a new rear triangle within the week.

Can't ask for much more

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Eu warranty. I also send message today at US techcenter and now im waiting their replying. I just hope that they start to do something to help with my problem and just not pissed me off. I think that they should send me the brace, if its not too much asked.

I get my frame 18.3.2019 and i made same day warranty claim, it took one week.

Second starts 23.4.2019 and ends 18.6.2019

Third starts 29.7.2019 and ends 15.10.2019

And every time reason was toplink, i think that those timelines are unereasonable.

Its not solution to send everytime new toplink and hope that it hold up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maojala View Post
    Eu warranty. I also send message today at US techcenter and now im waiting their replying. I just hope that they start to do something to help with my problem and just not pissed me off. I think that they should send me the brace, if its not too much asked.

I get my frame 18.3.2019 and i made same day warranty claim, it took one week.

Second starts 23.4.2019 and ends 18.6.2019

Third starts 29.7.2019 and ends 15.10.2019

And every time reason was toplink, i think that those timelines are unereasonable.

Its not solution to send everytime new toplink and hope that it hold up.
    Yeah I can't speak to the EU, but Intense USA has been VERY responsive to warranty issues. Emails always answered same-day, new parts supplied quickly when needed. My frustrations with the Sniper links have been documented elsewhere on this thread, but I can't fault Intense's customer service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It really looks like US warranty works! It took 24h and my case is solved. I just dont understand what a hell eu guys do in their jobs..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maojala View Post
    It really looks like US warranty works! It took 24h and my case is solved. I just dont understand what a hell eu guys do in their jobs..
    Probably located in Greece and dealing with riots, or England and dealing with Brexit, or Germany and dealing with Neo-nazis. Hands are full

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No problems in the UK, the guys at SaddleBack have been great. Parts may take a bit longer to arrive than in the US, I think stocks here are lower, but always a fast response.

mtbr member
    Problems with other countries is that (I will assume) they are just distributors. A lot of the time, small time distributors. They don't have the capital, capacity or knowledge to deal with warranty stuff properly.

Any issues I have had were dealt with quickly and with great staff at Intense USA
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    Has anyone installed a remote shock lock-out on their Sniper? If yes, what did you use and how did you route the cable to the read shock? Thanks.
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I have a Sniper with a Lev Ci - a reasonably common build I think. I've tried two shock pumps on it so far, the Intense branded one and a Rock Shox pump, but neither will fit - they're too wide to fit far enough into the valve opening.

I have a standard Lev which I've pumped up no problem.

Is there something up with my Lev? Or is there another brand shock pump that'll fit?

TIA.

mtbr member
    Hey, maybe this has already been posted, but I just noticed that the Sniper brace installation manual has photos of a dual-sided Sniper rear triangle. I guess this must be the new/revised Sniper Trail. Looks like it uses all the same hardware etc, just adds that drive side strut.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/24...ges2.pdf?13857

Hey, maybe this has already been posted, but I just noticed that the Sniper brace installation manual has photos of a dual-sided Sniper rear triangle. I guess this must be the new/revised Sniper Trail. Looks like it uses all the same hardware etc, just adds that drive side strut.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/24...ges2.pdf?13857
    Good catch. I think I read the scuttlebutt more info about the new/revised Sniper Trail at the end of this month? I'm super interested in this frame as my next FS bike--it will be interesting to see if/how the rider reccomended weight changes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm interested in seeing they can keep it under 27lbs.

Anybody in the Seattle/Tacoma area have an XL Trail I could try out (maybe even an L or XC version)? I figure its a long shot, but it couldn't hurt to ask. It's one of the two or three frames I'm settling on for my next frame, but I'd love to get even a few minutes on an example for I look at it further. I think Intense has a "14 day it and return it if you don't love it" policy, but I'll be building up a frame and don't like the idea of buying a bike with the sole intention of returning it (even if I love it).

Yah, I'll email them as well to see if they know of any local options, but figured it would be worth to try here too.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Intense Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    I'm interested in seeing they can keep it under 27lbs.
    They better. My Large Primer is 26.5 with pedals and 30mm ID wheels. Iíd be disappointed to see it over 24.5 with XTR pedals, cage ready to ride in a high mod.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    They better. My Large Primer is 26.5 with pedals and 30mm ID wheels. Iíd be disappointed to see it over 24.5 with XTR pedals, cage ready to ride in a high mod.

Don't understand how you guys keep them so light. My recluse was like 31lbs.

My current frame weighs 2450 grams and has a tiny 165x45 fox performance shock. Light bike rims with ck hubs. Revive dropper Trickstuff Piccola brakes FSA Evo 392 cranks and ht ae05 mag pedals.

Still have trouble keeping it under 27.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

that's super light. have any pics of the build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I guess I could lose another 1.5lbs by losing the magic Mary and Ribbon coil off the front. But screw that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Don't understand how you guys keep them so light. My recluse was like 31lbs.
    because life would be serene and peaceful without having excessive flexure and a brace repair to continuously be b&míing about.

sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Intense Sniper

that's super light. have any pics of the build?
    Hey guys yes plenty of pics. It started off as a Pro build. I swapped out the following;

Swapped the bar for the the Carbon Fatbar

Swapped the super heavy fabric saddle for the Bontrager saddle. Very light, good looking and fits my ass well

Ditched the crappy SRAM Level TLM for Magura MT7. Probably slightly heavier but WAY better brakes. Worth every gram.

Used a Kabolt front thru axel and lost some weight

Bought DT Swiss XMC1200 and rode them for a year or so. Then went with Roval Traverse SL 30mm ID wheels. Fairly light and super strong. Really like these.

Put on Fast Trak 2.35 tires w Stans.

All in right at 26.6 lbs with XTR Race pedals and Carbon cage.

Here are a few pics with both wheel sets I run. I also have pics on the scale too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    nice build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    nice build.
    Thanks Matt

mtbr member
    Anybody in the Seattle/Tacoma area have an XL Trail I could try out (maybe even an L or XC version)? I figure its a long shot, but it couldn't hurt to ask. It's one of the two or three frames I'm settling on for my next frame, but I'd love to get even a few minutes on an example for I look at it further. I think Intense has a "14 day it and return it if you don't love it" policy, but I'll be building up a frame and don't like the idea of buying a bike with the sole intention of returning it (even if I love it).

Yah, I'll email them as well to see if they know of any local options, but figured it would be worth to try here too.

Thanks!
    Iím in Seattle with an XL Sniper XC frame built with a 120 34SC fork. So geometry identical to Trail, just a tad less squish in back. PM me if youíd like to meet up for a ride at Tiger/Raging etc., happy to share.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Iím in Seattle with an XL Sniper XC frame built with a 120 34SC fork. So geometry identical to Trail, just a tad less squish in back. PM me if youíd like to meet up for a ride at Tiger/Raging etc., happy to share.
    Very cool of you to offer this. Hope you two sync up.

Sneaker man
    This brings me to asking a question I've been thinking for a while, Loving the bike, but sometimes I feel the fork is letting it down a bit (or could be my setup).

For those with an XC and have gone to a longer fork, how long, what are you running, is is better/much better?
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    For US residents, just launched a promotion on all 2019 Snipers. Get a free carbon wheelset with your purchase. Perfect time to get a Foundation, Expert or Pro build and get a lightweight carbon wheelset. While supplies last.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    This brings me to asking a question I've been thinking for a while, Loving the bike, but sometimes I feel the fork is letting it down a bit (or could be my setup).

For those with an XC and have gone to a longer fork, how long, what are you running, is is better/much better?
    Never ran mine with anything but the 120. Seems like a great setup for me though, no regrets in terms of steering. Front of the bike is damn low anyway (on an XL) so I like the fit with a 120.

Formerly of Kent
    For US residents, just launched a promotion on all 2019 Snipers. Get a free carbon wheelset with your purchase. Perfect time to get a Foundation, Expert or Pro build and get a lightweight carbon wheelset. While supplies last.
    Any demo or blem frame-only options coming up soon?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Any demo or blem frame-only options coming up soon?
    Not on Snipers. There is some really good pricing on 2018 Frame only Tracer/Carbine/Recluse/ACV right now.

PMing now!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So I buy the Sniper this summer, have to wait for the brace (that I have to buy) to come out to ride, then rear triangle is f'ed once I try to put the brace on so still can't ride and NOW they are giving out free carbon wheels? Cause wheels are cheaper than a brace?

Now I am starting to get a little pissed

So lets not support the early adopters and loyal customers, but entice holdouts to move leftover stock.

Got to love it

mtbr member

So lets not support the early adopters and loyal customers, but entice holdouts to move leftover stock.
    You mean over a year of sales before a loyal customer who spent his own money to do his own testing came up with the much needed fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I purchased my 2019 Sniper trail Pro beginning of Sep and after a couple of rides, immediately noticed a bit of flex in the rear. In reaching out to my sales rep at Intense, he stated he would let me know when the brace was available, and I would be sent out one.
    Following this thread closely, I noticed someone post a link to purchase the brace, which I did so immediately, knowing it would most likely be my fastest option rather than wait for my contact at Intense reach out to me. I installed the brace with no issues, and i'm pretty happy with the stiffer back end. I figured why even reach out to Intense about the brace they promised to send since the problem was fixed for a measly $30? That was until I received an email stating ALL versions of the Sniper trail were now included in the free wheelset promotion.

I reached out to Intense again regarding this, as well as the brace that was never brought back up, and was told there is typically a 15 day period they honor promotions, but would see what they could pull together. I received an email just now offering a discounted wheelset, but nowhere near a free wheelset.
    While I do give Intense credit for at least offering some type of discount, Its difficult to imagine them not being able to honor a promotion for a bike so recently purchased.

I am kind of bummed about this if you couldn't tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I purchased my 2019 Sniper trail Pro beginning of Sep and after a couple of rides, immediately noticed a bit of flex in the rear. In reaching out to my sales rep at Intense, he stated he would let me know when the brace was available, and I would be sent out one.
    Following this thread closely, I noticed someone post a link to purchase the brace, which I did so immediately, knowing it would most likely be my fastest option rather than wait for my contact at Intense reach out to me. I installed the brace with no issues, and i'm pretty happy with the stiffer back end. I figured why even reach out to Intense about the brace they promised to send since the problem was fixed for a measly $30? That was until I received an email stating ALL versions of the Sniper trail were now included in the free wheelset promotion.

I reached out to Intense again regarding this, as well as the brace that was never brought back up, and was told there is typically a 15 day period they honor promotions, but would see what they could pull together. I received an email just now offering a discounted wheelset, but nowhere near a free wheelset.
    While I do give Intense credit for at least offering some type of discount, Its difficult to imagine them not being able to honor a promotion for a bike so recently purchased.

I am kind of bummed about this if you couldn't tell.
    If you're going to be upset at least be accurate. You're actually asking for more. You already have wheels, the current promotions isn't an extra set of wheels, it's an upgrade. You're asking to be given another wheel set on top of the one you got with the bike.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    If you're going to be upset at least be accurate. You're actually asking for more. You already have wheels, the current promotions isn't an extra set of wheels, it's an upgrade. You're asking to be given another wheel set on top of the one you got with the bike.
    You get both wheelsets. From Intense's website

"You can now use one set of wheels for practice and your new Ethirteen wheels as your race day wheelset."

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The promotion is actually an EXTRA set of wheels on top of the ones it originally comes with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Peepers View Post
    You get both wheelsets. From Intense's website

"You can now use one set of wheels for practice and your new Ethirteen wheels as your race day wheelset."
    The promotion is actually an EXTRA set of wheels on top of the ones it originally comes with.
    I stand corrected- interesting offer.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am new to this new bottom bracket (the DUB BB92) and I have a stupid question, if I wanted to replace my current chainring with a different size, and the new chainring comes in either 3mm offset or 6mm offset, but both are designed for the 148mm boost rear wheelset, which of the two offsets should I be looking at? This was never a big deal before with a 96bcd, but this is somehow the first bike I have had that has a direct mount crankset, and its throwing me.

Can anyone offer any advice?

thanks in advance
    RY

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    im not a sram expert, but generally speaking "boost" offset is overrated and most people have no problems leaning toward "standard" chainring offset; especially if you spend more time in the bigger cogs. so, my vote would be the most inboard of the two. you really want to find the chart that shows actual chainline, however, and compare that to what SRAM calls for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomsabers View Post
    I am new to this new bottom bracket (the DUB BB92) and I have a stupid question, if I wanted to replace my current chainring with a different size, and the new chainring comes in either 3mm offset or 6mm offset, but both are designed for the 148mm boost rear wheelset, which of the two offsets should I be looking at? This was never a big deal before with a 96bcd, but this is somehow the first bike I have had that has a direct mount crankset, and its throwing me.

Can anyone offer any advice?

thanks in advance
    RY
    With boost spacing you will go with a 3mm offset. Nonboost uses 6mm offset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    With boost spacing you will go with a 3mm offset. Nonboost uses 6mm offset.
    Outstanding...thanks mate!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomsabers View Post
    Outstanding...thanks mate!
    Well chainring size may matter. Boost will allow for a larger chain ring. A 36T oval clears plenty fine on a 52mm Boost for my Spider 275C, 49mm non-Boost no way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by branes View Post
    I have a Sniper with a Lev Ci - a reasonably common build I think. I've tried two shock pumps on it so far, the Intense branded one and a Rock Shox pump, but neither will fit - they're too wide to fit far enough into the valve opening.

I have a standard Lev which I've pumped up no problem.

Is there something up with my Lev? Or is there another brand shock pump that'll fit?

TIA.
    To answer my own question ... the Ci is a bit different to the standard lev so the whole cradle comes off including the base. It's the base that appears to limit access to the valve on the Ci, whereas on the standard Lev there's plenty of clearance to get to the valve. Once it's off there's no problem...mine was sticky as my Sniper had been a demo model which had clearly seen some mud.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hi everyone,

Found this on Mountain Coop site in Canada 2020 Sniper T :

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6005-8...-29-Elite-Bike

You can clearly see the new rear triangle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Sniper-2020-sniper-trail.jpg  

Intense Sniper-6005836-sgr05-alt-anglefront.jpg  

Intense Sniper-6005836-sgr05-alt-anglerear.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice color. Hoping the L and XL frames still hold 2 bottles inside main triangle, and if they included a 3rd bottle mount under the downtube that'd be extra practical!

#want

Quote Originally Posted by canadiandan View Post
    hi everyone,

found this on mountain coop site in canada 2020 sniper t :

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6005-8...-29-elite-bike

you can clearly see the new rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Hard to tell. Is that a cross brace, or does it have a redesigned link?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Looks like a redesigned link to me. Brace integrated above the shock.
    Hopefully they have a different color.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by brex17 View Post
    Looks like a redesigned link to me. Brace integrated above the shock.
    Hopefully they have a different color.
    Cross support above the shock is the same as before. The cross brace to fix the bearing issue is below/behind the shock. There's definitely one there, just can't tell if it's the current one or a new design. I'd guess it's just the current link and cross brace though - bearing cap and brace bolt looks exactly the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yeah, after looking at my Sniper, I agree. I had forgotten about that existing cross piece. And those linkage bolts look like the ones on my bike with the brace.

On top of that, looks like Intense told that shop to take that link down.

mtbr member
    Got some black lowers for my factory stepcast fork. Looks much more colour coordinated now. Some 12spd XTR is going on it this week but retaining my m9020 cranks due to not wanting to splurge on a new powermeter just yet. 10.7kg (23.6lb) as it sits.

Hey @creativefletch who can I get in contact with for spare parts in Australia? I tried emailing the distributor about the suspension link brace (as I've been using a homemade solution) and a new rear axle, as mine came with a DT Swiss one.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    So the 2020 Sniper T will get the brace and the new rear triangle.

My question is the new rear triangle worth investing?
    Because my shop has the 2019 on sale at -30%, and than I could get the brace after...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDan View Post
    Hi everyone,

Found this on Mountain Coop site in Canada 2020 Sniper T :

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6005-8...-29-Elite-Bike

You can clearly see the new rear triangle.

Totally how it should have been built from day one! Wonder how much more the new rear triangle weighs?
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hopefuly Intense will give the option of purchase and painting for 2019 Sniperís owners

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDan View Post
    So the 2020 Sniper T will get the brace and the new rear triangle.

My question is the new rear triangle worth investing?
    Because my shop has the 2019 on sale at -30%, and than I could get the brace after...
    Are you going to be riding it more as a trail bike or are you planning on racing and more training style riding? Also would you be putting meatier tires on or keeping it lightweight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Totally how it should have been built from day one! Wonder how much more the new rear triangle weighs?
    I don't have an official weight between the two rear triangles but I can tell you the new one is noticeably heavier when holding both of them. We weighed the new Elite build shown in the photos and it comes in right at 25lbs without pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I`m not a racer at all.Ö

So ya its gonna be my main bike, a trail bike. Mostly technical single track.

Formerly of Kent
    Your engineering department should at least be able to give you some numbers.

Like 1900 +/- 50 for 2019 vs 2000 +/- 50 for 2020.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I don't have an official weight between the two rear triangles but I can tell you the new one is noticeably heavier when holding both of them. We weighed the new Elite build shown in the photos and it comes in right at 25lbs without pedals.
    Thanks. It looks super dope, but I'm not sure I will even look to add this. Once I put a cross brace on my bike has been solid for East Coast XC trail riding/racing. I'm aggressive, but only weigh like 135lbs. I kinda like having a 22lb bike instead. LOL.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Are you going to be riding it more as a trail bike or are you planning on racing and more training style riding? Also would you be putting meatier tires on or keeping it lightweight?
    I`m not a racer at all.Ö

So ya its gonna be my main bike, a trail bike. Mostly technical single track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It seems odd the Sniper is the same as a Primer light build. I'm at 26.58 with 2.35 tires, 30mm ID Roval Traverse carbon wheels, XTR Race pedals, cage and Garmin mount and big brakes. So with no pedals I'm at 25.90 lbs without the Stepcast fork. With a Stepcast I would be exactly 25.5 lbs, the same as the Elite Sniper. I have made some mods to my Primer but again the same weight... I would have thought it would be lighter...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm fine with the added weight. My Sniper XC Pro in size XL stock was 23lb. But the rear triangle flex cause all kinds of issues. 2lb more for stiffer triangle, stiffer fork, and heavier wheels and tires sounds about right to me. Also its still pretty light compared to the new primers, which are about 30lb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It seems odd the Sniper is the same as a Primer light build. I'm at 26.58 with 2.35 tires, 30mm ID Roval Traverse carbon wheels, XTR Race pedals, cage and Garmin mount and big brakes. So with no pedals I'm at 25.90 lbs without the Stepcast fork. With a Stepcast I would be exactly 25.5 lbs, the same as the Elite Sniper. I have made some mods to my Primer but again the same weight... I would have thought it would be lighter...
    You need to weight a Sniper with your scale, then compare. Unless people are calibrating their scales- which I doubt most do, then comparing weights from different scales not really that exact.
    For example are you using an actual weight of a Stepcast or published? I have one and weighed it, not what Fox says they are, but again not their scale.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rk47 View Post
    I'm fine with the added weight. My Sniper XC Pro in size XL stock was 23lb. But the rear triangle flex cause all kinds of issues. 2lb more for stiffer triangle, stiffer fork, and heavier wheels and tires sounds about right to me. Also its still pretty light compared to the new primers, which are about 30lb.
    @rk47 If you could do it all over again, would you still buy the Sniper? Iím going back and forth between that and the Fezzari Signal Peak. Both seem about the same weight (SP slightly more) but I havenít heard of the rear triangle flex issues with the SP. Looking specifically at the Ď19 build and the promotion for the free carbon wheels.

Iím also in the XL frame size and about 200lb, so putting more stress on the rear triangle than many. Intense says that the rear triangle issues only show up for those that run their 120 travel bikes through enduro courses.

Sniper has a 1.5 degree slacker HA and a 2 degree slacker seat tube angle than the SP. That seems to be the opposite of what I would expect as we typically see slackening of HA and steepening of SA going together.

Iíd love to buy both and take advantage of their return policies to send back the one I donít like, but that seems to be a crappy move.
    Last edited by ksujeff99; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You need to weight a Sniper with your scale, then compare. Unless people are calibrating their scales- which I doubt most do, then comparing weights from different scales not really that exact.
    For example are you using an actual weight of a Stepcast or published? I have one and weighed it, not what Fox says they are, but again not their scale.
    I will add my bike weight was weighted on two scales and was within .03 lbs difference and have been a weight weenie for years Iím pretty aware of how to compare. To your point, I have not weighed the SC fork vs my current 34 but it is widely published to be right at .40lbs difference. So yeah, itís as light as a light Sniper Trail build or Very close. Note this is the older Primer not the new heavy one. I have done several mods to my Primer but nothing crazy to affect strength

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ksujeff99 View Post
    @rk47 If you could do it all over again, would you still buy the Sniper? Iím going back and forth between that and the Fezzari Signal Peak. Both seem about the same weight (SP slightly more) but I havenít heard of the rear triangle flex issues with the SP. Looking specifically at the Ď19 build and the promotion for the free carbon wheels.

Iím also in the XL frame size and about 200lb, so putting more stress on the rear triangle than many. Intense says that the rear triangle issues only show up for those that run their 120 travel bikes through enduro courses.

Sniper has a 1.5 degree slacker HA and a 2 degree slacker seat tube angle than the SP. That seems to be the opposite of what I would expect as we typically see slackening of HA and steepening of SA going together.

Iíd love to buy both and take advantage of their return policies to send back the one I donít like, but that seems to be a crappy move.
    I would certainly not recommend 2019 Sniper for someone 200lb+ unless it's for very light duty usage. I would definitely be looking at the 2020 Sniper T instead.

I'm not familiar with Fezzari. The Sniper geo is very dialed especially if you live in a flatter region. I've really enjoyed Sniper XC on the East Cost where the terrain is up and down. It is a popular opinion that the STA on the Trail is too slack for mountainous regions were you may need to climb for extended period of time. I live on the West Cost now and I totally agree especially when it comes to taller people.

All-in-all if I was to do it again I would get Mondraker F-PODIUM DC or something with similar geo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @rk47 Thanks for your insight.

Looking at the geometry of that Mondraker, I think it's more similar to the Signal Peak. I think the SP is the direction I'm going to go. The real kicker for me thinking about it now is the ST on the Sniper. It's slack and short, so by the time I raise the seat high enough for my 36" inseam I'm going to be sitting above the back wheel! :-)

Fezzari is running a BF sale for $200 off. $3,800 for the Elite with a Stan's wheelset. Lots of BF deals on carbon wheels out there too so for under $5k, I'll end up with a complete GX bike with two sets of wheels, a much stiffer frame and only give up a small weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @rk47 Thanks for your insight.

Looking at the geometry of that Mondraker, I think it's more similar to the Signal Peak. I think the SP is the direction I'm going to go. The real kicker for me thinking about it now is the ST on the Sniper. It's slack and short, so by the time I raise the seat high enough for my 36" inseam I'm going to be sitting above the back wheel! :-)

Fezzari is running a BF sale for $200 off. $3,800 for the Elite with a Stan's wheelset. Lots of BF deals on carbon wheels out there too so for under $5k, I'll end up with a complete GX bike with two sets of wheels, a much stiffer frame and only give up a small weight penalty.
    Or get the 2019 SP frame on sale and use all the other BF sales to make a custom build.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    People have come to accept gx on 5k bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's why I'll never buy a full bike anymore. Spend once on good stuff and then move it along to the next bike.

My XTR drivetrain has been on at least 4, the high end wheels on 2. Fork on 3.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Not me! 2020 Nukeproof Mega 275 Factory build! BOOM!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Isnít that what the industry has come to? $5k at your local bike shop may not even get you full GX. At least buying from Intense, Canyon, Fezzari, Spot, YT, etc gets you a higher spec for the same price.

Iím upgrading from a bike I built (AL Niner Rip 9) in 2013 so basically very little is carry over. Is there really any savings to be had buying the frame (Sniper or otherwise) and then all of the components separately?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Isnít that what the industry has come to? $5k at your local bike shop may not even get you full GX. At least buying from Intense, Canyon, Fezzari, Spot, YT, etc gets you a higher spec for the same price.

Iím upgrading from a bike I built (AL Niner Rip 9) in 2013 so basically very little is carry over. Is there really any savings to be had buying the frame (Sniper or otherwise) and then all of the components separately?
    If you already own components you can use, then buying a frame and transferring over is good. If not, buying a frame and components is actually much more expensive!! I'm talking about buying everything from scratch new. Depending on what you spec, you could easily spend an extra $1000 US, or more! It's much better to buy a complete bike!

These are the two frames I am looking at for my next ride, barring something coming out of nowhere in the next month or so. There are a lot of things I like about both, but right now I'm on Team Sniper Trail (2020) based on what I have heard from Intense. Both companies have been good about email and responses, and I had the exact same thought about 'abusing' the return policies. I even point-blank asked Fezzari about renting/shipping a demo bike; no dice. I'd be willing to pay $100-150 to demo a bike for a week and then send it back. I'm sure that kinda program would get abused as well but would love it or building a network of riders who would be willing to share their rides with prospective buyers. I'm pretty sure Zerode has something like this currently.

Not directed at anyone (other than maybe myself) but its fun to look at how we micro-analyze geometry numbers. I had had been slightly concerned about the Sniper's SA, but I looked up some of the seat angles on older bikes I loved and found them to be slacker than anything I'm riding now, but I can feel the difference in slacker head angles and increased reach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Well it depends on the timing- right now there are a ton of sales so if you do it right, you might spend a little more, but end up with a much better spec.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Windband View Post
    If you already own components you can use, then buying a frame and transferring over is good. If not, buying a frame and components is actually much more expensive!! I'm talking about buying everything from scratch new. Depending on what you spec, you could easily spend an extra $1000 US, or more! It's much better to buy a complete bike!
    For example, I went to Jenson, XT drivetrain and brakes with SLX crank- $377 yea it's 11spd.
    I bought DT Swiss M-1700 Spline 25 29 for my son's bike off ebay for $450.
    I've never paid retail for a Fox fork. If you've been here long enough there is someone mentioned all the time that has great prices, Paid $740 for my 34 factory stepcast.

Puts you @ 4K, and you still need Seat, Dropper, headset, stem, bars and grips which should easily be done for 1k.

So I guess it depend on you, I'd rather have a 11 spd XT build vs GX build for the same price
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    These are the two frames I am looking at for my next ride, barring something coming out of nowhere in the next month or so. There are a lot of things I like about both, but right now I'm on Team Sniper Trail (2020) based on what I have heard from Intense. Both companies have been good about email and responses, and I had the exact same thought about 'abusing' the return policies. I even point-blank asked Fezzari about renting/shipping a demo bike; no dice. I'd be willing to pay $100-150 to demo a bike for a week and then send it back. I'm sure that kinda program would get abused as well but would love it or building a network of riders who would be willing to share their rides with prospective buyers. I'm pretty sure Zerode has something like this currently.

Not directed at anyone (other than maybe myself) but its fun to look at how we micro-analyze geometry numbers. I had had been slightly concerned about the Sniper's SA, but I looked up some of the seat angles on older bikes I loved and found them to be slacker than anything I'm riding now, but I can feel the difference in slacker head angles and increased reach.
    Would you mind sharing whatís put you on team Sniper Trail 2020? Why the Sniper over the Signal Peak? And why the 2020 when the 2019 comes with a $1,000 set of carbon wheels and the stock AL wheels? In speaking with Intense, they claim that the brace will solve all of the problems ďthe small numberĒ of people are experiencing with the current frame. That being the case, why for you is it worth the extra weight and no carbon wheels to go for the 2020? Iím genuinely interested in what others are thinking.

I totally get what youíre saying about micro-analyzing geometry numbers. Since Iíve been shopping the last few months, Iíve noticed that the effective and actual seat tube angles for most manufacturers are quite different due to modern bike designs. And it seems like everyone measures the effective seat angle in a different way. For a guy like myself with 814mm from the seat rails to the center of the BB, my actual seat tube angle can dramatically different. I need to sit down with the geometry charts and figure out what my effective seat tube would be on both bikes at full extension.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So I guess it depend on you, I'd rather have a 11 spd XT build vs GX build for the same price
    Probably a better thread for this, but why XT 11spd over GX 12spd? I did put XT 11spd on my Rip9 last year and itís been great, so I could bring that over. I rented a Spez SJ in AZ this fall with GX 12spd and I thought it was pretty great as well. Seemed to have a lighter action than the XT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    For example, I went to Jenson, XT drivetrain and brakes with SLX crank- $377 yea it's 11spd.
    I bought DT Swiss M-1700 Spline 25 29 for my son's bike off ebay for $450.
    I've never paid retail for a Fox fork. If you've been here long enough there is someone mentioned all the time that has great prices, Paid $740 for my 34 factory stepcast.

Puts you @ 4K, and you still need Seat, Dropper, headset, stem, bars and grips which should easily be done for 1k.

Yes, agreed. It will depend on what you spec and where you find it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Probably a better thread for this, but why XT 11spd over GX 12spd? I did put XT 11spd on my Rip9 last year and itís been great, so I could bring that over. I rented a Spez SJ in AZ this fall with GX 12spd and I thought it was pretty great as well. Seemed to have a lighter action than the XT.
    I can't speak for him, but I like XT much better than SRAM. Not only functionally, but also because you have thumb AND index finger shifting. And XT thumb shifts will go up two gears at a time! Also, I ride a 1x11 spd XT, 11-46 Box Two Cassette with a 32 in front. I can climb a tree with that and certainly don't need a 50 in back!

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone seen any good Black Friday deals on the Sniper? Size Medium, if it matters.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't want to rehash a ton of stuff and this is my opinion so take it for the little it's worth. Sram didn't bother with any engineering- read the tons of threads about the chain riding up on the largest 2 cogs since they are wide narrow and having to 'slip' into sync.
    Read about the RDs getting ripped off because the chain comes off the jockey wheel and gets wedged. There's a few posts with the band aids people added to their RD to keep it from happening.

Compare that to everything I read about Shimano 12 spd and the actual engineering that went into making it shift better both up and down the cassette and under power.

So if I can't afford to go Shimano 12spd, I'll stick with Shimano 11spd. Just don't care for Sram's stuff.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:02 PM.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I run di2 Sram mashup.

10-42 xx1 260gr di2 xtr derailuer 288gr di2 alfine shifter 44gr xt chain. Goatlink 11.

My setup is lighter then even the best 12 speed by quite a bit.

Hell the gx cassette weighs as much as my cassette derailuer and shifter combined.

I don't need 12 speeds I could live with 10. And I don't need a friggin 50 tooth.

I was looking at "upgrading" to 12 speed seriously but the numbers just don't add up for me.

I charge my di2 once a month and it just keeps going. I change a chain check for wear on my cassette..nope alright just keeps going.

And I like spending money on tech have the di2 have Trickstuff brakes Chris king wheelset.

Only thing that could get me off my bike and change my drivetrain is a Shimano gearbox bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    And yes you can build a bad azz bike just trolling eBay and pinkbike buy/sell.

Bought my CK/Derby wheelset $700 pinkbike got my revive dropper eBay auction $230 Ribbon coil fork $625 pinkbike

My. Xx1 cassette $150 eBay di2 derailuer can be had for $160 eBay all day.

Basically if I have to pay retail I'm pissed lol.

Would you mind sharing whatís put you on team Sniper Trail 2020? Why the Sniper over the Signal Peak? And why the 2020 when the 2019 comes with a $1,000 set of carbon wheels and the stock AL wheels? In speaking with Intense, they claim that the brace will solve all of the problems ďthe small numberĒ of people are experiencing with the current frame. That being the case, why for you is it worth the extra weight and no carbon wheels to go for the 2020? Iím genuinely interested in what others are thinking.
    I'll do my best to explain my thinking: Intense has been a little better with returning answers... For me, I'd rather have the 66.5į (and the longer wheelbase) of the Sniper over the 68į*of the SP. I'd prefer the threaded BB of the SP, but that's not a deal-breaker for me... It'd be a different story if the geo numbers were reversed on the bikes. Looking at some of the versatility of the SP (tire clearance, ability to take a bigger fork) is a bit of a minus for me because I'd be tempted to 'up bike' the thing, and that would put me pretty close back to my previous frame. The more focused nature of the Sniper helps me, and I'd bet I'm a rare case for this being a plus.

I'm waiting for 2020 for two reasons (aside from waiting for tax $$$$$). One, I'll be building from a frame, so the 'extras' aren't that tempting to me. I love my Magura brakes and Shimano drivetrain too much. I also have a sweet set of Nox/Industry Nine/Am Classic wheels that aren't going anywhere, and I prefer over the bonus carbon wheels. My '2nd bike' has a compatible wheelset in case I explode a wheel or they are down for maintenance. Second, while I don't know this, I have a strong feeling I'd be one of those 'small number' people based on my weight.
    Last edited by padrefan1982; 1 Week Ago at 08:29 PM. Reason: formatting...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @padrefan Thanks. Thatís great insight. I have had good calls with both Fezzari and Intense. Both have been quick about returning emails as well.

Iím riding a bike with a 70ļ HA now (after adding an angleset) so even going to 68ļ is going to be a huge change for me. Given that most of my riding is tight, Midwest trails, the 66.5ļ of the Sniper is actually something that I put in the neutral (to even slightly negative) category.

Regarding the ability to run 2.6Ē tires - yep we differ there. Iím looking for a one-bike quiver (well one full suspension MTB quiver that is, plus the other 4 bikes in the garage... :-) that can nab new KOMs on my local trails running 2.2ís as well as head down to Bentonville on 2.6ís and have some fun.

Iím 6í6Ē and have seriously started to reconsider both bikes. I just donít know whether either one has enough size for me to feel comfortable. I had completely ruled out the new 2020 Trek Top Fuel as a candidate but now itís back in the running. They make the 9.8 in XXL - full carbon with GX. The Top Fuel is more oriented to the trail side of ďdowncountryĒ bikes but I still think it belongs in the same league as the Sniper and SP. Itís a stiffer frame and that brings a weight penalty. Iím looking at something between 28 and 29 pounds in XXL for the stock build.

Decisions, decisions...

@padrefan Thanks. Thatís great insight. I have had good calls with both Fezzari and Intense. Both have been quick about returning emails as well.

Iím riding a bike with a 70ļ HA now (after adding an angleset) so even going to 68ļ is going to be a huge change for me. Given that most of my riding is tight, Midwest trails, the 66.5ļ of the Sniper is actually something that I put in the neutral (to even slightly negative) category.

Regarding the ability to run 2.6Ē tires - yep we differ there. Iím looking for a one-bike quiver (well one full suspension MTB quiver that is, plus the other 4 bikes in the garage... :-) that can nab new KOMs on my local trails running 2.2ís as well as head down to Bentonville on 2.6ís and have some fun.

Iím 6í6Ē and have seriously started to reconsider both bikes. I just donít know whether either one has enough size for me to feel comfortable. I had completely ruled out the new 2020 Trek Top Fuel as a candidate but now itís back in the running. They make the 9.8 in XXL - full carbon with GX. The Top Fuel is more oriented to the trail side of ďdowncountryĒ bikes but I still think it belongs in the same league as the Sniper and SP. Itís a stiffer frame and that brings a weight penalty. Iím looking at something between 28 and 29 pounds in XXL for the stock build.

Decisions, decisions...
    Yup-- total sense--think we're on the opposite sides of the coin here. The Trek had been something I'd looked at as well. Another one for you to maybe look at is GG's Trail Pistol. More to the "trail" side for sure, but I feel like they could fit you. I loved my aluminum model, and the carbon might be worth a look or two. Best of luck with your search!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    New Trail is up. So is the weight. Wonder if that 5 pounds, for medium, is sans shock like the last model's weight listing.
    https://intensecycles.com/collections/cross-country

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have a brand new Sniper SL trail (120mm) size XL frame I will be selling if anyone is looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by propulsionclimbing View Post
    I have a brand new Sniper SL trail (120mm) size XL frame I will be selling if anyone is looking.
    PM sent

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    New Trail is up. So is the weight. Wonder if that 5 pounds, for medium, is sans shock like the last model's weight listing.
    https://intensecycles.com/collections/cross-country
    I noticed that total weight went up roughly a pound (I think) comparing model year to model year. For me, a guy looking at an XL, I'll take that trade-off. Curious to see when the frame only shows up online. Hoping costs didn't go up too much--otherwise, I might have whipped out the credit card right then and there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I noticed that total weight went up roughly a pound (I think) comparing model year to model year. For me, a guy looking at an XL, I'll take that trade-off. Curious to see when the frame only shows up online. Hoping costs didn't go up too much--otherwise, I might have whipped out the credit card right then and there.
    Sniper T frame & shock are now available

mtbr member
    $2999, The black frame looks sweet. Too bad itís not available for the Trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    First review of the updated Sniper T from Canadian MTB, ridden on the same trails as the BC Bike Race:
    https://cyclingmagazine.ca/mtb/doubl...-shaper-focus/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    $2999, The black frame looks sweet. Too bad itís not available for the Trail.
    Yea, the color for the trail is really disappointing.
    Ripley LS v3

Formerly of Kent
    Thatís a bust.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    ...and the frame is $500 more. I guess it's in line with what else is out there. But no longer the value it was. Make the trail in black.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    ...and the frame is $500 more. I guess it's in line with what else is out there. But no longer the value it was. Make the trail in black.
    The prices went way up on the Tracer too, and with no change other than wheels! Disappointing big time. I'm afraid to even see how much the Tracer Pro model is going to be after they launch the redesign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yea, the color for the trail is really disappointing.
    Yep. Time to move on. The color is bad, the price increase. My son still loves his, but the price increase is the wrong thing to do and that color...yeah, moving on. I was excited about a stronger trail for myself, but it won't be happening.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yep. Time to move on. The color is bad, the price increase. My son still loves his, but the price increase is the wrong thing to do and that color...yeah, moving on. I was excited about a stronger trail for myself, but it won't be happening.
    Concur. The now-defunct Sniper NM was $1999. The SL was/is $2499. Now $3000 for a consumer direct frame??

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by propulsionclimbing View Post
    Screaming deal!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2689308/

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yeah I think so too. It's sad, but it doesn't look promising. Like I posted below, I would love to see the Tracer after the redesign, but I'm not paying over $6K for a bike! I think I'm heading for the Nukeproof Mega 275! Cheers.

mtbr member
    So T pro build is almost $6k and weight is 25.6 and has some GX and aluminum rims

T elite is $7000 and weight 25.0 with mostly XO1 and carbon wheels. Would think the weight would be a bit lower with the carbon hoops. Can't seem to find anything on the E Thirteen XCX carbon wheels. See other XCX components from them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    So T pro build is almost $6k and weight is 25.6 and has some GX and aluminum rims

T elite is $7000 and weight 25.0 with mostly XO1 and carbon wheels. Would think the weight would be a bit lower with the carbon hoops. Can't seem to find anything on the E Thirteen XCX carbon wheels. See other XCX components from them.
    Odd. Even the E13 site has NOTHING on the carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Concur. The now-defunct Sniper NM was $1999. The SL was/is $2499. Now $3000 for a consumer direct frame??
    INTENSE is not a consumer direct brand. Bikes and frames are available to purchase through the website and at your local INTENSE dealer, with new dealers being opened weekly.

Canyon Lux Frameset - $2,999USD / Pivot Mach 4 Frameset - $3,399USD / Santa Cruz Blur Frameset $2,999USD / Yeti SB 100 Frameset - $3,399USD / Ibis Ripley Frameset - $2,999.00

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post

Ethirteen will be launching the XCX wheels very soon. This bike is the first production model available with them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Would love to see a real scale weight of a medium or large Sniper T frame with shock.

Not sure I need the extra strength of the T, but a little more stiffness on the back end of the bike never hurts.

mtbr member
    INTENSE is not a consumer direct brand. Bikes and frames are available to purchase through the website and at your local INTENSE dealer, with new dealers being opened weekly.

Canyon Lux Frameset - $2,999USD / Pivot Mach 4 Frameset - $3,399USD / Santa Cruz Blur Frameset $2,999USD / Yeti SB 100 Frameset - $3,399USD / Ibis Ripley Frameset - $2,999.00
    Not to be a turd, but the promise of "Rider Direct" was, in part, to provide "the competitive pricing of a direct brand." https://intensecycles.com/pages/riderdirect

I think that was well represented in the 2019 specs and pricing. Expectations were set (at least in this thread!). So you have to expect some surprise and disappointment when a 20% price increase pops in 2020.

With respect to the examples you listed, Canyon is purely consumer-direct and asking too much for their frame. Especially when a Blur (free bearings for life!) or Ripley are priced the same. Not mentioned is the Fezzari Signal Peak at $2199. Personally, I'd pay more for an Intense. But the Fezzari is at lease another reference point for consideration.

So, Sniper T updates are good, the pricing is in line, but yeah...the price increase is a bummer for sure and not in the spirit of the original rider-direct message. And the T needs to be available in the black colorway! I like it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    Would love to see a real scale weight of a medium or large Sniper T frame with shock.

Not sure I need the extra strength of the T, but a little more stiffness on the back end of the bike never hurts.
    Agreed. With the T's price increase, it makes sense for many lighter riders to buy the $2499 2019 (ah, this makes the now defunct NM $1999 a bargain) and get the inexpensive stiffer brace/link retrofit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I stand corrected. Thank you. My limited exposure to Intense a few years back was as an overpriced brand that went on major sale every year mailorder, and even then the prices were the same or higher than many companies' MSRP. I was mistaken about the "consumer direct" because the pricing came down to normal or even better than industry average. Especially with the $1999 NM Sniper. The $2999 Sniper T would be a "bargain" in the older misconception perception I had of Intense, but in today's bike buying market, it's a tough pill to swallow as G-Choro wrote below.
    Obviously it's a "willing seller, willing buyer" situation, but it's the same self-logic of why I wouldn't buy a Fezzari or a Spot Ryve even at Black Friday pricing or a much lower msrp. I don't see the perceived value anymore of a Sniper especially after the $1999 NM. But that's just me, and obviously many are buying Snipers. Lots of used ones for sale on PB...

mtbr member

MSRP is just that. Itís doesnít mean we pay those prices you listed. At $2500 to your door (former Price) you are essentially paying the same price as your competitors $2999 pricing you listed. Last year when I seen Intense went consumer direct(supposedly we all thought)I called two different SoCal LBS who carry Intense and was told they no longer carry Intense bikes, because they went consumer direct. $2500 was a great price, but if I canít drive 10 minutes to my LBS to try out the bike for sizing, itís a moot point, because I wonít buy the bike. Now the price increased $500 and I still canít try the bike out, because none of my former/ supposedly Intense deals stock the bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    MSRP is just that. Itís doesnít mean we pay those prices you listed. At $2500 to your door (former Price) you are essentially paying the same price as your competitors $2999 pricing you listed. Last year when I seen Intense went consumer direct(supposedly we all thought)I called two different SoCal LBS who carry Intense and was told they no longer carry Intense bikes, because they went consumer direct. $2500 was a great price, but if I canít drive 10 minutes to my LBS to try out the bike for sizing, itís a moot point, because I wonít buy the bike. Now the price increased $500 and I still canít try the bike out, because none of my former/ supposedly Intense deals stock the bikes.
    True. Many local riders paid $2500 delivered for their Ripley V4 Factory. The SB100 frame was $2750 (creaks and all, ha). Pivot dealers will give 15% off and some demo events were 25% off (bird in hand, let's make the sale while emotions and impulse are high); that Mach 4SL $3499 is ludicrous, thankfully many are popping up used on eBay and PB.

In Intense's defense, not that they need one, there is often a 10% coupon that pop up on industry sites such as motocross podcasts and the like. Too bad the NM was always out of stock and/or a bad color.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Intense Sniper

Itís really telling to see so much discussion regarding frameset pricing rather than bike pricing. Speaking for myself and I suspect many others, more and more riders are replacing frames every so often and simply moving their parts over. Bikes are so expensive at the enthusiast level. Everything is expensive. Gas. Food. Entertainment. I am a bit surprised to see this big of a price increase and yet I kinda get it. My perception is Intense went consumer direct to a large degree. Sure, there are some shops who carry the bikes but I perhaps mistakenly thought they were a direct business model. Many riders will simply keep their bikes longer, doing upgrades instead of replacing their steeds. As much as Iíd like a shiny new bike or frame upgrade, I canít drop 3k right now. For those riders who can, frame upgrades are often a smart way to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes, this was a common misconception when we first launched the new website with availability to purchase online. During the last year we have been updating our dealer base and expanding our dealer network. I noticed from your profile you are in Santa Cruz? We have just opened with Bicycle Trip Santa Cruz and Bicycle Trip Capitola, we had a Demo a couple weeks ago at their Santa Cruz location. There is also Moore & Sons Motorcycles in Santa Cruz that is an Intense Dealer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Itís really telling to see so much discussion regarding frameset pricing rather than bike pricing. Speaking for myself and I suspect many others, more and more riders are replacing frames every so often and simply moving their parts over. Bikes are so expensive at the enthusiast level. Everything is expensive. Gas. Food. Entertainment. I am a bit surprised to see this big of a price increase and yet I kinda get it. My perception is Intense went consumer direct to a large degree. Sure, there are some shops who carry the bikes but I perhaps mistakenly thought they were a direct business model. Many riders will simply keep their bikes longer, doing upgrades instead of replacing their steeds. As much as Iíd like a shiny new bike or frame upgrade, I canít drop 3k right now. For those riders who can, frame upgrades are often a smart way to go.

Complete bikes at the higherend still have the "gotchas" that need replaced. A GX cassette or heavy wheels or even heavy carbon wheels. Riders paying 5K and higher are a little OCD, and factor in the cost of hawking the new/never used junk OE spec. That's why my new frames have old parts from 5 years ago. Exactly what I want in terms of brakes to crank, and none of the hassle of a Stylo crank, Performance (not Elite) fork, narrow rims, etc. I think many spending big bucks know they can be patient and find ebay, classified, PB, mailorder deals, and build their own $7500-level bike for thousands less.

mtbr member
    Complete bikes at the higherend still have the "gotchas" that need replaced. A GX cassette or heavy wheels or even heavy carbon wheels. Riders paying 5K and higher are a little OCD, and factor in the cost of hawking the new/never used junk OE spec. That's why my new frames have old parts from 5 years ago. Exactly what I want in terms of brakes to crank, and none of the hassle of a Stylo crank, Performance (not Elite) fork, narrow rims, etc. I think many spending big bucks know they can be patient and find ebay, classified, PB, mailorder deals, and build their own $7500-level bike for thousands less.
    This all the way. I'm particular and generally spend way too much time researching and putting together a plan for exactly what I want. Plus, it's a PITA to sell stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So Sniper T is $300 more and has a $200 dollar less cassette 1275 vs 1295 (2019) on it now. Wheelset swap is questionable in terms value, but for sure there is a loss of $500 dollars from the 2019 version. That extra pillar in the rear triangle must be worth it, although I was assured the linkage brace solved any issues.

mtbr member
    Yes, this was a common misconception when we first launched the new website with availability to purchase online. During the last year we have been updating our dealer base and expanding our dealer network. I noticed from your profile you are in Santa Cruz? We have just opened with Bicycle Trip Santa Cruz and Bicycle Trip Capitola, we had a Demo a couple weeks ago at their Santa Cruz location. There is also Moore & Sons Motorcycles in Santa Cruz that is an Intense Dealer.
    Iím in Huntington Beach area. So roughly 100 miles round trip from Temecula, so it was even more of a bummer to find out that LBS so close to your Factory stopped stocking/carrying your bikes. One would think that LBS in your immediate area would have the correct details of what direction Intense was going as a company.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Iím in Huntington Beach area. So roughly 100 miles round trip from Temecula, so it was even more of a bummer to find out that LBS so close to your Factory stopped stocking/carrying your bikes. One would think that LBS in your immediate area would have the correct details of what direction Intense was going as a company.
    Can I ask which LBS you are referring to?

Formerly of Kent
    The one dealer listed as carrying Intense within 25 miles of me (in a town of more than 500,000 people on the Front Range) doesnít have any Intense bikes in stock.

Iíve seen an Intense on the floor of a bike shop once in the last two years.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The one dealer listed as carrying Intense within 25 miles of me (in a town of more than 500,000 people on the Front Range) doesnít have any Intense bikes in stock.

Iíve seen an Intense on the floor of a bike shop once in the last two years.

This seems to be a great point in that regardless of what Intense says, if the bikes are not in-stock and on the sales floor, these "dealers" are not really dealers. Just because they can order and service the bikes does not a dealer make. Perception is reality.

mtbr member
    Can I ask which LBS you are referring to?
    Two Wheels One Planet had 1 Primer left in stock when they told me this. Laguna Beach Cyclery told me Intense is now consumer direct and they no longer stock them and I believe one other. What about Path who has at least 70 5K+ bikes on their floor between two shops, but stopping stocking, carrying and demoing Intense bikes.

mtbr member
    So, basically, Intense took 2-3 years off from a disastrous "dealer model" and made consumers happy with pricing (but poor QC and suspect customer service), but after making some $$$$, they're heading back to the business model that failed them?

Good luck, but I think I'll wait for the new Sniper until Jenson is a dealer again and discounts them 30% at the end of the year.

Unlike everyone else, I like the color...so there's that (but not as much as digicamo!)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Two Wheels One Planet had 1 Primer left in stock when they told me this. Laguna Beach Cyclery told me Intense is now consumer direct and they no longer stock them and I believe one other. What about Path who has at least 70 5K+ bikes on their floor between two shops, but stopping stocking, carrying and demoing Intense bikes.
    The Path is carrying INTENSE models we just had a demo at their Live Oak location two weekends ago where Aaron Gwin came out and rode.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    So, basically, Intense took 2-3 years off from a disastrous "dealer model" and made consumers happy with pricing (but poor QC and suspect customer service), but after making some $$$$, they're heading back to the business model that failed them?

Good luck, but I think I'll wait for the new Sniper until Jenson is a dealer again and discounts them 30% at the end of the year.

Unlike everyone else, I like the color...so there's that (but not as much as digicamo!)
    INTENSE was re-structured January 1st of this year. With a new investment group including Ryan Dungey and One of the owners of the Geico Honda team. This year a big focus has been to fix our dealer network and improve customer service for both direct customers and dealers. We are working on establishing a solid dealer network throughout the US who share in our core values and one that we can support from both our headquarters and factory field reps.

We want to offer current and future INTENSE owners options for both their pre-purchase and post-purchase experience. Whether it's talking to a rider representative here at our Headquarters in Temecula, CA or your local INTENSE dealer, the experience will be consistent.

For Jenson, they have been and continue to be an online dealer of ours.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-B...Intense+Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    This all the way. I'm particular and generally spend way too much time researching and putting together a plan for exactly what I want. Plus, it's a PITA to sell stuff.
    It's the only way to do it now a days and why Pivot backtracked on no frame only on T429. I'm sure the numbers reflected what was posted over and over. Where Pivot screwed up was 157.

I have Cannondale SISL2 cranks, Extralite Hubs with Nextie carbon rims built by Dave, 11SPD XTR group. All have been on at least 4 frames. Why would I want the stuff that comes on today's 5k bikes.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This seems to be a great point in that regardless of what Intense says, if the bikes are not in-stock and on the sales floor, these "dealers" are not really dealers. Just because they can order and service the bikes does not a dealer make. Perception is reality.
    To be fair that isn't an issue with just Intense.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    The Path is carrying INTENSE models we just had a demo at their Live Oak location two weekends ago where Aaron Gwin came out and rode.
    Good to hear. Now they need to update their demo bike list thatís posted on their website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    At $2500 shipped and a blue option like the Primer 275, I would still be in the market for the T. As it is, not even under consideration. There needs to be a good reason to buy direct vs an LBS, but there isn't one. The current pricing is more inline with showroom bikes, not direct, which Intense is whether they admit to it or not.
    Last year when looking at bikes for my son's NICA racing, we checked with every dealer in the state of Utah listed on the Intense site. None of them sold Intense any longer. So he never got to demo a Sniper, but it was still the bike he wanted to go with. So we took a blind leap and purchased a frame to build up. He totally digs the bike. We also had a lot of questions about the bike at races this year, lots of people interested. But no place to look at/demo them. Also a bummer that no NICA or XC racing of any kind is included in their Podium Buyback program.
    I also exchanged emails a couple months back with Intense, was told they have a new dealer in the state. Just one. But when I asked who it was, I got crickets.
    I have no doubt there are still buyers for the bike, but as a current Sniper owner, I am not one of them.
    Even if the mythical shop that carries Intense in UT does exist.

mtbr member
    Personally, I think the Sniper T looks like a pretty cool bike. TBH, it seems like the bike the original Sniper shouldíve been, I.e. kinks worked out and ready to shred. I also donít mind the color, though a second muted color option would make sense.

I havenít bought a bike from an LBS, or bought a complete build for that matter, in over a decade. I ride Xl frames, so itís kind of rare to find solid demo options for me anyway. For me, as long as online and warranty support is responsive and fair, lack of an LBS network is not a big deal.

$3k for a frame is standard to low these days, I think. I would not be surprised to see that in the new model year, SC, Ibis etc. creep frame prices up to ~$3200. Yeti wants $4k for the SB165 frame. Prices are always gonna tend upward over time, and thereís been a bunch of upheaval and uncertainty in the industry with the tarriff issues. I think a $2800 price point wouldíve made sense though; a bit under the biggest players.

That said, to me the question is: can Intense provide the quality and responsiveness of others offering $3k frames? Ibis and SC offer lifetime bushing/bearing replacement, exceptional customer service even without dealers, and generally very, very sorted-out bikes. Iíve had a bunch of issues with the Sniper (read through the thread if youíre bored) and Intense has mostly been pretty responsive, but itís been frustrating none the less. Hoping thatís now resolved and itís smoother sailing for both me and Intense in general.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I actually really like the new colour! Do you have exact frame weight increase creativfletch?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I actually really like the new colour! Do you have exact frame weight increase creativfletch?
    Working on getting frame weights with photos of scale like I did previously in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Working on getting frame weights with photos of scale like I did previously in this thread.
    That will be great. I'm guessing right around 5lbs if weighed like the previous frames (w/ shock but no axle, etc).

mtbr member
    I am also interested in the frame weight of the xc sniper in medium

Evolution Training Cycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post

Page 2 of this thread (post 400) has the pics (I don't think there is any change in the XC frame from 2019 to 2020 besides paint scheme):

"This is the SL frame in Grey Size Medium with all hardware, seat collar, and axle. (Frame no shock)
    3 lbs 15 oz"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    Page 2 of this thread (post 400) has the pics (I don't think there is any change in the XC frame from 2019 to 2020 besides paint scheme):

"This is the SL frame in Grey Size Medium with all hardware, seat collar, and axle. (Frame no shock)
    3 lbs 15 oz"
    As posted, the change is in the new trail rear triangle, nothing changed on the XC except the paint.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thinking about picking up a Sniper Trail. I'm 5' 10" with 31.5" inseam. Would I be better off with a medium or large?

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Thinking about picking up a Sniper Trail. I'm 5' 10" with 31.5" inseam. Would I be better off with a medium or large?
    I would say large.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast