Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1023

Thread: Intense Sniper

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Intense Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_ View Post
    Can anyone comment: Can I use 32T front chainring, or suspension anti squat optimized only for 34T ring ? Thanks
    I use a 30T oval ring and it works well. No issues with anti squat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcjacob21 View Post
    I use a 30T oval ring and it works well. No issues with anti squat

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Creativefletc - any idea when more small Snpiers will be available? Looking to pick up a Sniper Trail Pro Build in Graphite. Also, Iím 5í6Ē with a 30Ē inseam - would a medium fit okay or would I be better off with a small? I know itís subjective, but just looking for an opinion from someone who has some experience/knowledge with the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BIODTL View Post
    Creativefletc - any idea when more small Snpiers will be available? Looking to pick up a Sniper Trail Pro Build in Graphite. Also, Iím 5í6Ē with a 30Ē inseam - would a medium fit okay or would I be better off with a small? I know itís subjective, but just looking for an opinion from someone who has some experience/knowledge with the bike.
    At your height and inseam you could easily ride a medium. I'm 5'8" with a 31 inseam and run a 55mm stem and have over 2" of seat post above the collar on my Medium. The bike also has a nice and low stand over height. If you were looking at another bike like a Primer I would recommend you to a small due to the seat tube height but the Sniper medium would fit pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looking for sizing advice here.

5í10, 32Ē inseam with long arms / positive ape index.

Currently on a Large Ripley LS with a 50mm stem.

Planning on an sniper XC shock and building it up with a 34SC as most of the races I do are east coast tech marathons.

The ETT of the medium is 10mm shorter than the Ripley but the Reach looks pretty similar.

The ETT on the large looks good with a 40-50mm stem but the reach looks huge. Iím also a little worried about stuffing a 125mm dropper with that tall seat mast.

Thoughts from the sniper experienced? Iíve seen some pretty polarizing size feedback from similar dimensions in this thread so Iím not feeling confident.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BIODTL View Post
    although i never tried a medium but i'm the same height and inseam as you and ride a small trail frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skibumnh View Post

Planning on an sniper XC shock and building it up with a 34SC as most of the races I do are east coast tech marathons.

The ETT of the medium is 10mm shorter than the Ripley but the Reach looks pretty similar.

The ETT on the large looks good with a 40-50mm stem but the reach looks huge. Iím also a little worried about stuffing a 125mm dropper with that tall seat mast.

Thoughts from the sniper experienced? Iíve seen some pretty polarizing size feedback from similar dimensions in this thread so Iím not feeling confident.

You shouldn't have an issue with the seat post. I've got a 31 inseam and have rode around on a Large XC sniper with the post about 1/4" from the collar. I'm 5'8" and prefer to ride larger bikes, on all of our 27.5" bike I ride a size large. On the Primer, Sniper and Carbine I ride mediums with perfect fit. When I jumped on the Large Sniper XC I definitely noticed how much longer the reach was then my Medium Sniper XC with a 55mm stem. I really think you can go either way on your size. The trail is going to FEEL a little shorter on the reach with the riser bar and slightly slacker HT angle than the XC with flat bar and steeper HT. So on a trail I would feel more comfortable recommending sizing up to a Large, where on an XC I would probably steer more to a Medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why you looking to do Sniper instead of the Ripley?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorisol View Post
    Why you looking to do Sniper instead of the Ripley?
    Looking for a lighter / faster rig for XC racing. I moved up to Cat 1 this year and Iím looking for something a bit more tailored for racing. My Ripley LS is around 27lbs with a 140mm fork. Itís definitely built more for chunky trail riding but itís been serviceable for the occasional race.

Do people think there is a lot of overlap between the Sniper and the Ripley? I was expecting the Sniper to be a slightly more efficient pedaling platform.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Iím 5í10Ē with a 3lĒ inseam and ride a large XC with Fox 32 fork. I love the fit. Iím not very flexible, so I worried about the longer reach. I had a nice spare 50mm stem laying around, so I put it on. Love it, no problems with reach.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Looking for a lighter / faster rig for XC racing. I moved up to Cat 1 this year and Iím looking for something a bit more tailored for racing. My Ripley LS is around 27lbs with a 140mm fork. Itís definitely built more for chunky trail riding but itís been serviceable for the occasional race.

Do people think there is a lot of overlap between the Sniper and the Ripley? I was expecting the Sniper to be a slightly more efficient pedaling platform.

I haven't rode the Ripley but I have spent a lot of time on the Primer which is 130/130 and even between that bike and the Sniper Trail there is still a lot of difference even though they are only 10mm of travel apart. The Sniper is a rocket uphill and on the flats. Downhill it is very comfortable and nimble. The Sniper gets moved around a little easier on downhills than a larger travel trail bike but it's lightweight so there's going to be some give and take. It's not going to descend like an enduro bike but with the geometry you feel very comfortable on downhills and not like you're going to be bucked over the bars on any little drop like how most XC bikes feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Totally agree. I rode a new Fezzari Signal Peak for three rides. It was a bit faster on descent but sluggish on climbs. I've rode the Sniper twice with 100mm setup and it's a rocket uphill. I lost 6 seconds on a 1 mile long technical downhill on the Sniper compared to the Signal Peak. Gained 42seconds on a mile ascent on the Sniper vs Signal Peak. I am also beating all my ascent times on the Sniper that I set on my hardtail. My Sniper is XC Expert build with carbon bars, carbon wheelset, and lighter seat. It weighs in a bit under 24lbs without pedals. It's a great bike thus far and still getting comfortable on it. I rode the 34t front and 36t rear up a 9% climb this morning. 34t front is def the way to go on the XC version of this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone know the max length of a stem you could put on the Sniper XC? I just bought a L, I feel it may be a little short on the TT. I'm 183cm exactly, more on the torso side than legs. Was thinking of putting a 60mm stem on it or if that takes away from the "feel", I could go with 55mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I run an Enve 55mm stem on mine and love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorisol View Post
    Totally agree. I rode a new Fezzari Signal Peak for three rides.
    Tmorisol, may ask what build did you test ride on the Fezzari Signal Peak? I am up in the air between the Fezzari and Sniper.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered a Sniper Trial Pro build. I have never test rode the bike. I will let you know how it compares to my 2015 Ibis Ripley OG.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am looking at the Sniper Trail for endurance riding, gravel burning, bike packing use. This bike frame will replace my GG Pedalhead hardtail.

I spoke with an Intense tech guy and he seemed to think the SL was durable enough for AM use. I wouldn't be hitting the park or riding enduro races, but I would be riding down rock piles and hammering hard, nothing bigger than a few feet, but at 200# I will pound the bike.

Can the SL frame and links take the abuse or am I better off getting the regular lay up and aluminum links? I'm not a weight weenie, but I'd pay $500 for 0.6# weight loss of the frame can handle it.

Also, coming from longer travel bikes and short chainstays, I'm curious if folks are finding the stays too long?

Thanks!
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DJO View Post
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered a Sniper Trial Pro build. I have never test rode the bike. I will let you know how it compares to my 2015 Ibis Ripley OG.
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I am looking at the Sniper Trail for endurance riding, gravel burning, bike packing use. This bike frame will replace my GG Pedalhead hardtail.

I spoke with an Intense tech guy and he seemed to think the SL was durable enough for AM use. I wouldn't be hitting the park or riding enduro races, but I would be riding down rock piles and hammering hard, nothing bigger than a few feet, but at 200# I will pound the bike.

Can the SL frame and links take the abuse or am I better off getting the regular lay up and aluminum links? I'm not a weight weenie, but I'd pay $500 for 0.6# weight loss of the frame can handle it.

Also, coming from longer travel bikes and short chainstays, I'm curious if folks are finding the stays too long?

Thanks!
    This really comes down to your overall needs with the bike. I smash both the sniper XC and Trail pretty hard. I'm 165 lbs geared up. On my trail I've got the NM frame and on the XC I have the SL frame. I don't notice anymore or any less flex between the two.

If you're going to add more weight to the bike I would really start looking at the Primer. The Sniper is a very capable bike but it has it's limits and is really better as a lighter weight rocket ship. The Primer can be built up as a lightweight trail and endurance bike but is going to be a studier platform for adding external weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thanks!
    I'm 210 and was told the same thing. I was up front and sent picture of some fairly decent drops that I planned on riding with it and they said ok on the SL.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks guys, that's what I'm looking for, no added flex with the SL frame, able to take big hits.

I totally understand that the Sniper is not an enduro bike.

What I want is a lightweight short travel rocket ship for lunch laps, long days in the saddle, that is capable of being flogged if I decide to go for it.

No need for a Primer, I have a Smash ... which is waaay better than a Primer
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

My demo on a Sniper was relatively short. 30min or so. Thereís another demo weekend coming up and Iím going to get it out for longer ride.

Couple of things. Iím most of 60lbs lighter than you. I like going fast both up and down. I tend to skip along the tops of rocks rather than plow into anything. I donít seek out air time, but I donít avoid it, either.

I was very impressed by my ride on the Sniper. Iíd owned dual link design bikes on the past (Giant, 2x SCs) and never really got on well with them. The Sniper was quite snappy going up and did what I wanted it to do going down. The HTA put the wheel right where I wanted it.

My team shop is a Specialized dealer. I could pick up an Epic at cost + 10%, but Iím going to pay for a Sniper when the time is right. A 120/120mm bike might seem like an odd choice for a pro XC racer, but it really was that good. Better pedaling going up when compared to my Yeti, and much better going down. Just have to figure out how to convince my wife.

The best way to describe this bike in a way that a lot of people will understand: If I was going to pick a bike to try to take the KOM up and down the Hymasa/Ahab loop, this would be it.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

What I want is a lightweight short travel rocket ship for lunch laps, long days in the saddle, that is capable of being flogged if I decide to go for it.
    This is exactly what I use the Sniper Trail for.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    My demo on a Sniper was relatively short. 30min or so. Thereís another demo weekend coming up and Iím going to get it out for longer ride.

Couple of things. Iím most of 60lbs lighter than you. I like going fast both up and down. I tend to skip along the tops of rocks rather than plow into anything. I donít seek out air time, but I donít avoid it, either.

I was very impressed by my ride on the Sniper. Iíd owned dual link design bikes on the past (Giant, 2x SCs) and never really got on well with them. The Sniper was quite snappy going up and did what I wanted it to do going down. The HTA put the wheel right where I wanted it.

My team shop is a Specialized dealer. I could pick up an Epic at cost + 10%, but Iím going to pay for a Sniper when the time is right. A 120/120mm bike might seem like an odd choice for a pro XC racer, but it really was that good. Better pedaling going up when compared to my Yeti, and much better going down. Just have to figure out how to convince my wife.

The best way to describe this bike in a way that a lot of people will understand: If I was going to pick a bike to try to take the KOM up and down the Hymasa/Ahab loop, this would be it.

Thanks for the quick review and insight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Great summary. Let us know how the extended demo goes.

Question: Have you been on the new Epic, and if so, any comparisons would be welcomed.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Great summary. Let us know how the extended demo goes.

Question: Have you been on the new Epic, and if so, any comparisons would be welcomed.
    Tom,

Havenít thrown a leg over a new Epic yet. Iíd be EVO-ing it, of course, and throwing my parts on it. Iím always a bit leery of proprietary parts, so the Brain is a substantial negative to me.

Death from Below.

Arrrghhh!!!
    No need for a Primer, I have a Smash ... which is waaay better than a Primer

Ben-- Have you been on both bikes for a bit? How is the Smash better? How would you compare the two?
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I only spent a bried time on the Primer, it was a demo my friend had in Moab. He liked it enough to buy one, I hated it enough that I swapped back to my Fatillac as fast as possible.

The Primer felt twitchy, unstable at speed, just not grounded. The Smash owns the trail, super stable, very fast, not a plow, really agile like you'd expect with an enduro bike. The Smash wakes up the faster you go.

For sure fork offset and suspension set up matter. The Smash is not a soft riding bike, but the benefit is that it's supportive and functional when it takes big hits and it's no slouch on the climbs. It excels at tech climbing, high bb, climbs like a hardtail, descends like an enduro bike, awesome Moab machine.

Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    Ben-- Have you been on both bikes for a bit? How is the Smash better? How would you compare the two?
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, a question for the team:

I read a review on the Giant Trance 29 in which the reviewer said that the Trance 29 and Sniper handled similarly, same suspension travel, but that the Sniper felt like it had 120mm of travel, whereas the Trance 29 felt like it had more than 120mm.

Is this BS or is there some truth to the Trance 29 riding bigger than it's number bely?

If true, is it also true of the Sniper?

Finally, any flex issues with the Sniper, SL or regular? If you land crossways, will the tire rub? Can you rail hard and get tire rubs on the stays or chain? Can this bike handle old man whips and such? I'm not all that, but I like to get funky.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My Sniper SL frame with fork(Manitou Magnum Pro) and headset(Cane Creek AER II),the rest of the parts are still on my Spider 29C.I have no idea how it ended up upside down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Sniper-20181023_161740_001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Okay, a question for the team:

I read a review on the Giant Trance 29 in which the reviewer said that the Trance 29 and Sniper handled similarly, same suspension travel, but that the Sniper felt like it had 120mm of travel, whereas the Trance 29 felt like it had more than 120mm.

Is this BS or is there some truth to the Trance 29 riding bigger than it's number bely?

If true, is it also true of the Sniper?

Finally, any flex issues with the Sniper, SL or regular? If you land crossways, will the tire rub? Can you rail hard and get tire rubs on the stays or chain? Can this bike handle old man whips and such? I'm not all that, but I like to get funky.
    This should help answer some of your flex questions coming from two different owners that are unbiased. I took this from a PinkBike discussion yesterday on an SB100 review, comparing it to the Sniper. Iím guessing thereís a big difference in perspective coming from a 150# vs 200# rider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Sniper-52218b1a-8667-44ba-a3bc-996d96df2f32.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    And that's the end of that!

Thanks for the Pinkbike comments link, I suspected the light weight came at a cost. I'm way to heavy and hard riding to get a flexy frame, just got rid of one noodle and I don't want another.

I'm leaning toward the Trance 29, only a few dollars more than the Sniper SL, but solid and no negative reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    This should help answer some of your flex questions coming from two different owners that are unbiased. I took this from a PinkBike discussion yesterday on an SB100 review, comparing it to the Sniper. Iím guessing thereís a big difference in perspective coming from a 150# vs 200# rider.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Tom,

Havenít thrown a leg over a new Epic yet. Iíd be EVO-ing it, of course, and throwing my parts on it. Iím always a bit leery of proprietary parts, so the Brain is a substantial negative to me.

Thanks! I was really thinking about an Epic Evo, but amongst other issues like the brain, my LBS punted the Specialized franchise.

So Trek, Pivot or Intense for me (my old-ish self is determined to try and help the new young owner make a go of it -- sure glad I'm not trying to pay the bills with a brick and mortar anything these days).

mtbr member

Thanks for the Pinkbike comments link, I suspected the light weight came at a cost. I'm way to heavy and hard riding to get a flexy frame, just got rid of one noodle and I don't want another.

I'm leaning toward the Trance 29, only a few dollars more than the Sniper SL, but solid and no negative reviews.
    No problem. I would also try and throw a leg over the SB100. Donít let the 100mm hold you back, because it rides/ feels similar to the 116mm 4.5. With Black Friday coming you can find a frame for $2720 which is 20% off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I went for a spin last week with a Giant guy who is a giant. I've known him forever, and asked him about flex, and he was happy. I asked if he'd put me on one (near 200 pounds) and he was completely confident -- and he knows my history with frames.

But....he is a Giant guy, so TIFWIW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No problem. I would also try and throw a leg over the SB100. Donít let the 100mm hold you back, because it rides/ feels similar to the 116mm 4.5. With Black Friday coming you can find a frame for $2720 which is 20% off.
    Sweet on sale it costs as much as all the others at retail.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Sweet on sale it costs as much as all the others at retail.
    So Santa Cruz, Ibis, Pivot and Iím guessing Specialized all lowered their prices $280 since I last checked?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So Santa Cruz, Ibis, Pivot and Iím guessing Specialized all lowered their prices $280 since I last checked?
    Oh you're right big woop with 20% it's $280 cheaper than all the rest. Celebrate. Based on what I'm reading in thier forums the CS still sucks ass, so you get to pay a premium for crap service.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oh you're right big woop with 20% it's $280 cheaper than all the rest. Celebrate. Based on what I'm reading in thier forums the CS still sucks ass, so you get to pay a premium for crap service.
    I will celebrate and would gladly pay $500 more to ride a SB100 over your Tallboy any day of the week. Any warranty issue I have will be taken care of quickly and promptly through my LBS, so itís no concern for me, so keep reading.

I may have ended up on a Sniper, but since my local former/so called/ Intense dealers inventory no longer exist at these LBS and a spin around the parking lot to size up a bike is now next to impossible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any warranty issue I have will be taken care of quickly and promptly through my LBS, so itís no concern for me, so keep reading.
    Ah one of those it only happens to others. Good luck with it, hope you don't need their warranty service- isn't the first time they've let their customer down.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Ah one of those it only happens to others. Good luck with it, hope you don't need their warranty service- isn't the first time they've let their customer down.
    Wrong. Keep reading and being wrong about myself and a LBS you no nothing about.

mtbr member
    Wrong. Keep reading and being wrong about myself and a LBS you no nothing about.
    Man, just from what I've been reading lately on these forums alone...I don't think I would be running anywhere calling them the holy grail of warranty coverage or customer service...

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Guys, what's your weight ? That you feel sniper too flexy ?
    Any comparison with old 650b Spark? I feel it a little flexy, but on trail it climbs great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Why intense decide to use 51mm offset on trail version? Last time marketing claims that smaller offset rides better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Iíve seen a few Spider 275c SL frames get built out in the mid-25lbs range and was curious if anyone had any comparison experience between the Spider 275c and the Sniper aside from the obvious difference due to wheel diameters?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interested in any thoughts regarding flexy rear-end from light-ish people...I'm about 150 loaded, has anyone around this weight had problems with feel? It's a light bike, not expecting extremely stiff, but also would be intending to ride it on the rough end of the spectrum. Also any thoughts vs. Giant Trance 29 would be of interest, basically stuck between these two because of geo numbers, fairly torn on the more XC lean of the sniper vs the more aggressive slant of the trance.

All that said, I feel like the sniper at 120 is a great fit as this is a bike I want to race competitively on for XCM primarily, with gnar up and down fun rides as the secondary concern.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think you are going to be happier on the Sniper in trail setup for to weight savings especially if you are going to race on it. I've not rode the Trance but my guess is you are going to feel it going uphill. You are going to be able to push the Sniper going down, yes going to get some flex but your more than going to gain that time ascending. Just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm the same weight as you at 150lbs kitted up. Although I don't have any experience on the Trance 29, below is what I posted on another thread since riding the Sniper for about a month now:

The Sniper Trail is a great bike for me! I had the Primer prior to the Sniper and sold the Primer frame and fork. I transferred most of the parts minus the Carbonfan wheelset and Fox 34SC.

Bike climbs perfectly as expected and has pretty good traction seated or standing. I have not experienced any wheel lift/flop on steep climbs either. Does well over roots and rocks and very easily maneuverable. It is definitely a quick climbing bike especially if you motor it.

Descending this bike is very capable on technical sections of the trail. Although it's only 120mm I find it very solid and stable on drops and rutted sections and I feel the travel is plenty for me and for the trails I ride. Additionally, I don't feel any flex whatsoever but that could be subjective. It also handles well when leaned over on corners while pushing hard. I went from 740mm bars to 760mm and it gave me plenty of leverage to lean the bike over with more confident. I plan on racing XTerra with this bike so I'm working on getting the weight down which currently sits at 25.5lbs with pedals.

Now, I'm not sure where you ride but my trails are SF Bay Area which includes Demo, UCSC, Skeggs, Waterdog, JNT, JMP, P-Ridge, Tamarancho and the like. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Sniper. Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

The Giant Trance is much more in line with the Primer if you put the primer in the 115 rear travel setting. The Primer is a solid platform that can go sub 25lbs or can be outfitted as an all-mountain/enduro bike.

When I talk to people I always try to find out their main riding goal with the Sniper. If you're looking for an XC bike that is a rocket uphill and on flats but is a super confident descender than the Sniper fits the bill. If you want a lightweight bike that can compete at a high level and make you faster then the sniper fits the bill. As someone else mentioned, the Sniper geometry can be a little misleading. While it inspires confidence on the downhills, it's still a very lightweight race bike and has it's limits in that regards.

I ride both the Sniper XC and the Sniper Trail. I'm about 160lbs and I ride aggressively (not super smooth). On the Sniper XC the lighter components and XC tires keep me reserved on the downs but I still push it pretty hard. On the XC I'm running carbon wheels and I don't feel a lot of flex out of the rear. On the Sniper trail I'm running wider meatier tires and I've pushed the bike pretty hard on some chunky trails. I've found the limit on the Sniper trail and I know when to back off. The bike is fast downhill and carries it's speed well, probably too well. I don't fault the bike, it wasn't designed to push that hard into the chunkier terrain.

I get on a Primer and ride the same trails and it dominates them. I feel stable and comfortable on the chunkier terrain and the bike asks for more.

The Primer is a bike that can punch above it's travel class for sure while still being an amazing pedaling platform on the ups. I've chased guys in XC races on lightweight Primers on my Sniper.

The Sniper is really best suited as an XC race machine, endurance bike, and fun light trail bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    All of this is awesome info and much appreciated. It sounds like the Sniper is the bike to be fast on up and down, question being now if I want to sacrifice downs or ups (xc vs trail). My gut is trail, but I have never ridden a proper xc race rig and don't know how much I'd be giving up. If I were clever and built up a very light 120/120 rig, is there much to be lost due to being slightly more slack? I think I can get away with light components regardless, but love my carbon Honzo angles with a 140mm fork which works out to be close to trail geo on the sniper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    All of this is awesome info and much appreciated. It sounds like the Sniper is the bike to be fast on up and down, question being now if I want to sacrifice downs or ups (xc vs trail). My gut is trail, but I have never ridden a proper xc race rig and don't know how much I'd be giving up. If I were clever and built up a very light 120/120 rig, is there much to be lost due to being slightly more slack? I think I can get away with light components regardless, but love my carbon Honzo angles with a 140mm fork which works out to be close to trail geo on the sniper.
    My guess is that you beat your times both up and down. Down you will gain having the full suspension. Uphill I've absolutely crushed my times on the Sniper. I came from a 2008 BMC TE02 hardtail so a bit different geometry than you. But I find that the Sniper XC has very little energy loss due to sag, I get out of the saddle way less and my wheels are on the ground 100% of the time so I never have to check my pedal stroke, I just keep pedaling over the chunky parts of the trail. Ascending you don't have to think of your line nearly as much as you do on a hardtail, you just think of how out of shape you are.

mtbr member
    I ride mostly XC type trails with a lot of punchy ups and short downs. I'm getting near 50 y/o and looking for a bit more travel as I can no longer take feeling beat up on 100 mm travel bikes.

I've had two new Epics this past year. Blew 3 shocks. Sold both. Great bike and fast but a bit firm. Great pedaler.

I currently have a 20 lb Santa Cruz Blur CC. Nice bike, does everything well but loses traction on some of the gravely climbs. Seems to stall out on low grade, out of the saddle pedaling too, meaning it doesn't seem that fast on the flats or the shallow climbs.

I'm looking for a 110/120 travel efficient pedaler. I like long bikes, previously owned one of the first POLE Evolinks in the states, great bike but heavy, and not very efficient.

So, with all of that said, my short list is Nicolai Saturn, Orange Stage 4, or Intense Sniper trail.

I know most here have no experience with the Nicolai, or the Orange, but want the most efficient of those 3. Any ideas?
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I ride mostly XC type trails with a lot of punchy ups and short downs. I'm getting near 50 y/o and looking for a bit more travel as I can no longer take feeling beat up on 100 mm travel bikes.

I've had two new Epics this past year. Blew 3 shocks. Sold both. Great bike and fast but a bit firm. Great pedaler.

I currently have a 20 lb Santa Cruz Blur CC. Nice bike, does everything well but loses traction on some of the gravely climbs. Seems to stall out on low grade, out of the saddle pedaling too, meaning it doesn't seem that fast on the flats or the shallow climbs.

I'm looking for a 110/120 travel efficient pedaler. I like long bikes, previously owned one of the first POLE Evolinks in the states, great bike but heavy, and not very efficient.

So, with all of that said, my short list is Nicolai Saturn, Orange Stage 4, or Intense Sniper trail.

I know most here have no experience with the Nicolai, or the Orange, but want the most efficient of those 3. Any ideas?
    Out of curiosity are the suspension characteristics similar between the Blur and Sniper? From what I have read the Sniper has higher AS numbers. Wouldn't that indicate >pedal kickback?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    direct comparison with the Blur

Santa Cruz Blur 29'' 2019 - Linkage Design

Earlier review of the Sniper compared to some other bikes

Intense Sniper 29'' 2019 - Linkage Design

You can post the weblink into Google Translate if your interested in reading the analysis. I tend to take it with a grain of salt though. IMO sometimes it focuses too much on individual aspects rather than the total combined synthesis. Interesting to read that and then compare it to the feedback of owners over time though. What Iím referring to perhaps reveals this some.

Typically claims most of the Intense XC/Trail bikes have excessive AS, KB, etc. while criticizing regressive-progressive LR, yet seem to overlook how they work in tandem to produce the positive traits expessed by owners. Not so much for the Sniper as other models; generally positive for it. There are numerous ways to skin a cat and sometimes the emphasis on theoretical minutia doesnít always translate into significantly meaningful magnitude for real world situations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    direct comparison with the Blur

Santa Cruz Blur 29'' 2019 - Linkage Design

Earlier review of the Sniper compared to some other bikes

Intense Sniper 29'' 2019 - Linkage Design

You can post the weblink into Google Translate if your interested in reading the analysis. I tend to take it with a grain of salt though. IMO sometimes it focuses too much on individual aspects rather than the total combined synthesis. Interesting to read that and then compare it to the feedback of owners over time though. What Iím referring to perhaps reveals this some.

Typically claims most of the Intense XC/Trail bikes have excessive AS, KB, etc. while criticizing regressive-progressive LR, yet seem to overlook how they work in tandem to produce the positive traits expessed by owners. Not so much for the Sniper as other models; generally positive for it. There are numerous ways to skin a cat and sometimes the emphasis on theoretical minutia doesnít always translate into significantly meaningful magnitude for real world situations.
    Keep in mind he uses pictures and estimates, I have serious doubts about his accuracy based on his wildly incorrect prediction in the past.

If you look and Brian's Missing Link on the Tantrum bike he and other internet 'engineeres' said it wasn't going to work and it would bottom out going off a curb. Well that has been proven false- so how good is he at what he does??
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    I'm the same weight as you at 150lbs kitted up. Although I don't have any experience on the Trance 29, below is what I posted on another thread since riding the Sniper for about a month now:

The Sniper Trail is a great bike for me! I had the Primer prior to the Sniper and sold the Primer frame and fork. I transferred most of the parts minus the Carbonfan wheelset and Fox 34SC.

Bike climbs perfectly as expected and has pretty good traction seated or standing. I have not experienced any wheel lift/flop on steep climbs either. Does well over roots and rocks and very easily maneuverable. It is definitely a quick climbing bike especially if you motor it.

Descending this bike is very capable on technical sections of the trail. Although it's only 120mm I find it very solid and stable on drops and rutted sections and I feel the travel is plenty for me and for the trails I ride. Additionally, I don't feel any flex whatsoever but that could be subjective. It also handles well when leaned over on corners while pushing hard. I went from 740mm bars to 760mm and it gave me plenty of leverage to lean the bike over with more confident. I plan on racing XTerra with this bike so I'm working on getting the weight down which currently sits at 25.5lbs with pedals.

Now, I'm not sure where you ride but my trails are SF Bay Area which includes Demo, UCSC, Skeggs, Waterdog, JNT, JMP, P-Ridge, Tamarancho and the like. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Sniper. Best of luck!
    Having followed all the Sniper news and discussion for a while, it looks like a winner, esp. for weight conscious all around short travel 29er trail riding...BUT, I keep butting up against the design features of slightly longer chainstay numbers and slightly slack seat tube angle, along with the intention of being for "long days in the saddle".

I used to do a bunch of the latter, and so this piece resonates with me...but I'm mostly doing much shorter rides, decent amount of vertical, with a bit of tech without jumps or drops to speak of. For this, I want to maximize FUN, as an antidote to the 2011 Epic I ride, which has its virtues, but it does not want to pop off of anything and does not want to manual.

I'm pretty sure the Sniper would boost the fun factor and be a great bike, but I'm also thinking the "down-country" market segment has nothing but growth ahead, as it has been so largely ignored, and the enduro-brah catering machine has saturated the market for a while now. I clearly don't buy a lot of bikes, but I go all in when I do, so I'm OK waiting...
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Having followed all the Sniper news and discussion for a while, it looks like a winner, esp. for weight conscious all around short travel 29er trail riding...BUT, I keep butting up against the design features of slightly longer chainstay numbers and slightly slack seat tube angle, along with the intention of being for "long days in the saddle".

I used to do a bunch of the latter, and so this piece resonates with me...but I'm mostly doing much shorter rides, decent amount of vertical, with a bit of tech without jumps or drops to speak of. For this, I want to maximize FUN, as an antidote to the 2011 Epic I ride, which has its virtues, but it does not want to pop off of anything and does not want to manual.

I'm pretty sure the Sniper would boost the fun factor and be a great bike, but I'm also thinking the "down-country" market segment has nothing but growth ahead, as it has been so largely ignored, and the enduro-brah catering machine has saturated the market for a while now. I clearly don't buy a lot of bikes, but I go all in when I do, so I'm OK waiting...
    Being on the East Coast I'm in the same position. No 1 hour climbs followed but 40min downs. I ended up putting the 34 SC on my OG Ripley to see how that goes.

The Sniper sounds perfect, but as we see a lot of companies are starting to see the market for whatever you want to call the class- burly XC bike.

The issue for me will alway be getting a demos out here pretty much sucks.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member

The issue for me will alway be getting a demos out here pretty much sucks.
    Same here...I was all set to go to a bike fest a couple hours away for demos since it was on Intense's calendar, but Intense bailed...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am lucky that someone in my area is getting a large Sniper and they offered to let me ride it.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

So, I had another demo on a Sniper today. It was the Trail variant this time. The demo was at a local bar here in Colorado Springs, Trails End Tap Room. I got there right after 10, because I left my pedals at home and had to drive back home (5min each way) to get them.

About the bike. It was the NM frame, and looked to be a mix of the Pro and Foundation models. M1700 30mm ID wheels, NX Eagle groupset, Fox 34 Performance SC, Style cranks, KS Lev, WTB saddle, Forekasters front and rear, etc. Bars were pretty wide and non-stock; Syntace Vector Carbon High 20 at 780mm. The stem was shorter than I'd prefer at 50mm, and was on top of a 1" stack of spacers.

As I live right next to the local trail system, I rode to my house and did some quick work on the bike. Slammed the stem, added 5psi to the fork, raised the seat up. Bars were still a bit too high, but I made do.

Some background. I'm 5'6" on a great day, 31.5" cycling inseam, wide shoulders, 143lbs. XC racing is something I do, and do OK at it, but I enjoy riding bikes in a bunch of different types of terrain.

So, the ride. I went up one of the fire roads at Red Rock Canyon Open Space. It's about a 13min climb for me, and I wanted to see how the bike did in the medium mode both standing and sitting. I was very pleased. I had ridden the XC frame and corresponding shock tune previously, and while this bike wasn't quite as responsive, I can't necessarily attribute that to the shock tune. The bike weighed almost exactly 27lbs without a water bottle, which is most of 5lbs heavier than my current ride. Based on some rough calculations, the wheels and tires were about 1.5lbs heavier than my current setup. Well, pretty much everything but the frame was heavier, but changing direction and acceleration were more laborious than normal. On the few stretches of constant grade, the tires were a bit slower rolling than my normal ride. But, they also maintained momentum due to the extra mass from both tire and rim.

Got off the fire road and onto some proper singletrack, still heading up. Sitting and spinning most of the time, getting out of the saddle and onto the gas out of the turns. Cornering going up was great, and I was not expecting that to be the case. I thought that, on a low grade, ~5% or so trail, enough weight would be on the rear wheel that the 66.5 degree HTA and 20mm riser bar would be a problem in terms of taking uphill turns at speed. Pleasantly surprised that it held traction with limited weight on the front end.

Then, rolling terrain for a bit. Pumping rollers and taking off camber turns were both great. Fork and shock still in Medium. Very little braking, and the Forekasters allowed me to ride some of the looser terrain slightly faster than the Vittoria Barzos I'm usually on. The volume was pretty nice to have, too.

Then, got to Section 16, which is a Moab-esque trail with rock ledges and slabs at various points. Some nice drops to be had if that's your thing. I wanted to see how this beast did so I let it fly. Took a couple of optional lines, but nothing more than 3' with a non-groomed landing. Rear wheel groaned a bit, with a loud pinging sound, but the suspension felt great. After Section 16, I hooked up with White Acres, then Upper and Lower Codell. Smooth. Fast.

All in all, very pleased with the performance of the bike. Climbs very well, and would climb even better with a faster/lighter build. The descending on the bike was what really sold me, though. Despite offering up no pedal bob while jamming on the pedals, it somehow felt incredibly plush. It's been a while since I've owned a bike with more than 100mm of rear suspension (SC Blur LTC and then Tallboy LTC), so I'm used to having limits on what I can get away with. The 120mm rear end on the Sniper Trail was completely different, and in a very good way.

At this point, I'm not sure which way I'd go. I love the idea of building up a 120/120mm bike with a spacer-removed XC shock, but the Trail shock did what I wanted it to do. So, I'm pretty sold on the bike and the suspension design, but I need to figure out what model and level/layup.

Well played, Intense.
    Last edited by Le Duke; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:25 PM.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So, I had another demo on a Sniper today. It was the Trail variant this time. The demo was at a local bar here in Colorado Springs, Trails End Tap Room. I got there right after 10, because I left my pedals at home and had to drive back home (5min each way) to get them.

About the bike. It was the NM frame, and looked to be a mix of the Pro and Foundation models. M1700 30mm ID wheels, NX Eagle groupset, Fox 34 Performance SC, Style cranks, KS Lev, WTB saddle, Forekasters front and rear, etc. Bars were pretty wide and non-stock; Syntace Vector Carbon High 20 at 780mm. The stem was shorter than I'd prefer at 50mm, and was on top of a 1" stack of spacers.

As I live right next to the local trail system, I rode to my house and did some quick work on the bike. Slammed the stem, added 5psi to the fork, raised the seat up. Bars were still a bit too high, but I made do.

Some background. I'm 5'6" on a great day, 31.5" cycling inseam, wide shoulders, 143lbs. XC racing is something I do, and do OK at it, but I enjoy riding bikes in a bunch of different types of terrain.

So, the ride. I went up one of the fire roads at Red Rock Canyon Open Space. It's about a 13min climb for me, and I wanted to see how the bike did in the medium mode both standing and sitting. I was very pleased. I had ridden the XC frame and corresponding shock tune previously, and while this bike wasn't quite as responsive, I can't necessarily attribute that to the shock tune. The bike weighed almost exactly 27lbs without a water bottle, which is most of 5lbs heavier than my current ride. Based on some rough calculations, the wheels and tires were about 1.5lbs heavier than my current setup. Well, pretty much everything but the frame was heavier, but changing direction and acceleration were more laborious than normal. On the few stretches of constant grade, the tires were a bit slower rolling than my normal ride. But, they also maintained momentum due to the extra mass from both tire and rim.

Got off the fire road and onto some proper singletrack, still heading up. Sitting and spinning most of the time, getting out of the saddle and onto the gas out of the turns. Cornering going up was great, and I was not expecting that to be the case. I thought that, on a low grade, ~5% or so trail, enough weight would be on the rear wheel that the 66.5 degree HTA and 20mm riser bar would be a problem in terms of taking uphill turns at speed. Pleasantly surprised that it held traction with limited weight on the front end.

Then, rolling terrain for a bit. Pumping rollers and taking off camber turns were both great. Fork and shock still in Medium. Very little braking, and the Forekasters allowed me to ride some of the looser terrain slightly faster than the Vittoria Barzos I'm usually on. The volume was pretty nice to have, too.

Then, got to Section 16, which is a Moab-esque trail with rock ledges and slabs at various points. Some nice drops to be had if that's your thing. I wanted to see how this beast did so I let it fly. Took a couple of optional lines, but nothing more than 3' with a non-groomed landing. Rear wheel groaned a bit, with a loud pinging sound, but the suspension felt great. After Section 16, I hooked up with White Acres, then Upper and Lower Codell. Smooth. Fast.

All in all, very pleased with the performance of the bike. Climbs very well, and would climb even better with a faster/lighter build. The descending on the bike was what really sold me, though. Despite offering up no pedal bob while jamming on the pedals, it somehow felt incredibly plush. It's been a while since I've owned a bike with more than 100mm of rear suspension (SC Blur LTC and then Tallboy LTC), so I'm used to having limits on what I can get away with. The 120mm rear end on the Sniper Trail was completely different, and in a very good way.

At this point, I'm not sure which way I'd go. I love the idea of building up a 120/120mm bike with a spacer-removed XC shock, but the Trail shock did what I wanted it to do. So, I'm pretty sold on the bike and the suspension design, but I need to figure out what model and level/layup.

Well played, Intense.
    Great Review Le Duke. Let me know if you have any questions on build specs.

mtbr member
    would still love to hear some comparisons between the SB100 and Sniper XC. If the Sniper climbs a bit better and is 90% of the SB100 on the way down I'd be sold.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Well played, Intense.
    Great review - thanks for sharing.

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Great Review Le Duke. Let me know if you have any questions on build specs.
    Itís going to be a while before I build one, unless my Yeti dies and gets replaced under warranty. In which case Iíd sell the frame and buy a Sniper.

And, Iíd probably go with a frame only purchase, because I have a bunch of stuff I would like to transfer over. Wheels, Hollowgram SRM crank/power meter, drivetrain, etc.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    27lbs? that's as much as much as my Primer.

The intense website shows the trail pro build with DT 1700 wheels is 24lbs. Where is the extra 3lb coming from?

https://intensecycles.com/collection...rail-pro-build

Great review - thanks for sharing.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea, assuming a size small, 27 lbs seems a little heavy. The medium with the expert build weighs 25.58 lbs.

mtbr member
    Yea, assuming a size small, 27 lbs seems a little heavy. The medium with the expert build weighs 25.58 lbs.
    Maybe between those wheels, NX drivetrain and Stylo cranks, aluminum 780 bar, beefier front and rear tire, and LEV post??? Does seem a touch high but those things can add up.

Formerly of Kent

Intense Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    27lbs? that's as much as much as my Primer.

The intense website shows the trail pro build with DT 1700 wheels is 24lbs. Where is the extra 3lb coming from?

https://intensecycles.com/collection...rail-pro-build
    It was a medium, Trail, Foundation build for the most part. Wheels look to be the only upgrade. It also had some Ergon-like lock-on grips.

Then, toss on pedals from the stock weight (listed at 26.4lbs, IIRC) and there we are.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Max tire width on the Sniper Trail? Will it take a 2.6?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Max tire width on the Sniper Trail? Will it take a 2.6?
    I currently have 2.6 Ikons on a i30mm rim, enough clearance for anything but sticky mud.

Ole.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I currently have 2.6 Ikons on a i30mm rim, enough clearance for anything but sticky mud.

Ole.
    Would you mind measuring the clearance? Curious if we're talking 3mm or maybe 6mm?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Sniper Trail foundation getting Top Pick for best carbon bike under $4k.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...es-under-4000/

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My Sniper Trail Pro Build arrived today. I'll report back on how I like it. I can compare it to my IBIS Ripley OG.
    Intense Sniper-arrival-box.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My Sniper Trail Pro Build arrived today. I'll report back on how I like it. I can compare it to my IBIS Ripley OG.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arrival Box.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	1223123
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
    You will have to check it out in person and try it out. I will be at Schaeffer Farm next week, I will send you a message to arrange a meeting time/location.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You will have to check it out in person and try it out. I will be at Schaeffer Farm next week, I will send you a message to arrange a meeting time/location.
    Because of the weather and work, I haven't ridden all summer. I'm in no shape for a demo ride. If you don't mind I'll hit you up in the spring.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Because of the weather and work, I haven't ridden all summer. I'm in no shape for a demo ride. If you don't mind I'll hit you up in the spring.
    Sure - I'm in rough shape myself. I have been getting out on my road bike once a week, but that is about it.
    Last edited by DJO; 1 Week Ago at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    C'mon man, "no shape for a demo ride"???

We could use two comparisons to Ripley OG's

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    C'mon man, "no shape for a demo ride"???

We could use two comparisons to Ripley OG's
    I plan on it, but it's not much use if I'm sucking wind just trying to make a climb. I plan on trying out his Sniper and a Signal Peak before I make any decisions.

I finally got a frame only price on the Signal Peak $1999 or $2599 with a Fox Factory fork. I assume a SC 34.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Anybody measures actual ETT and reach on bike? It match with claimed geometry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_ View Post
    Anybody measures actual ETT and reach on bike? It match with claimed geometry?
    Curious about this, and have a more general question too. Have many people sized up when on the shorter end of the suggested size range? Have a large Honzo currently, reach is in between the L and XL on the Sniper Trail from what I can deduce.
    I'm a pretty average 6'0 build.
    Contemplating slamming the seat forward and short as possible stem on an XL, particularly because the seat tube is 2deg more slack than the Honzo. Only question I then have is if I'd end up with an excessively long wheelbase (large already a little longer than the Honzo). Fear if I slammed the seat forward on a L it might get a little cramped vs the Honzo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Curious about this, and have a more general question too. Have many people sized up when on the shorter end of the suggested size range? Have a large Honzo currently, reach is in between the L and XL on the Sniper Trail from what I can deduce.
    Contemplating slamming the seat forward and short as possible stem on an XL, particularly because the seat tube is 2deg more slack than the Honzo. Only question I then have is if I'd end up with an excessively long wheelbase (large already a little longer than the Honzo). Fear if I slammed the seat forward on a L it might get a little cramped vs the Honzo.
    its probably gonna fit pretty close to the honzo. ridden both in a large. honzo prolly feels a little longer but not much. both too long IMO (im 6'1'' and ride a 384 reach cross bike w/ 100mm stem and large primer @ 455 reach + 40mm stem)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Came on tonight to post this same question. Demo'd a Large trail (gx) today. Completely stock. Had to slide seat back to max lines and still barely felt like I wasn't cramped. 6" and a 1/2, 33.5 inseam. Wish I could have tried an XL.

Would dropping 10 mm off the stem on an XL be a better call then going Large and just getting used to new position? How much would XL improve descending with longer wheelbase? Anyone run into the size up size down predicaments yet?

Most interested in increasing DH capacity vs. climbing, with longer days in the saddle my primary focus and xc racing sprinkled in 3-5 times a year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    https://www.leelikesbikes.com/sizing...-new-bike.html

Iíd be surprised if you fit better on a XL. Especially if you want to improve downhill performance. The key idea with the RAD stuff I linked to is to maximize your range of motion. If you are in more of a stretched out, road bike position you lose the ability to get as low and back which I think mostly affects steeper features and cornering.

At first it did feel a little short for me but it seems great now and really helps with aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I can provide some reach numbers tomorrow, measuring from the middle of the seat post in extended position to the middle of the handlebar on a Large and XL Sniper. Hopefully this will help out with some reach concerns.

I tend to size up on bikes normally but with the Sniper both XC and Trail I'm very comfortable on a medium at 5'8". I tried a Large and it was just too much reach and I run a 55mm Enve stem on my Medium.

If there are any other measurements between the Large and XL you guys would like let me know and I'll try to get those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I can provide some reach numbers tomorrow, measuring from the middle of the seat post in extended position to the middle of the handlebar on a Large and XL Sniper. Hopefully this will help out with some reach concerns.
    Thanks for this info
    Last edited by Denis_; 1 Week Ago at 12:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Here are the measurements for a Medium, Large and XL Sniper from the middle of the seat post to the middle of the handlebar in the stem. Each of these measurements was taken with 1" of seat post above the seat tube collar and dropper post fully extended.

Medium = 26.5"
    Large = 27.5"
    XL = 29"

mtbr member
    Here are the measurements for a Medium, Large and XL Sniper from the middle of the seat post to the middle of the handlebar in the stem. Each of these measurements was taken with 1" of seat post above the seat tube collar and dropper post fully extended.

Medium = 26.5"
    Large = 27.5"
    XL = 29"
    So at 5' 9.5 I rode a medium sniper that seemed small to me. I now will be getting a large possibly. Would a large be better as for fit for me vs the medium. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Medium = 26.5"
    Large = 27.5"
    XL = 29"
    Thanks so much for grabbing these measurements. As suspected, my Honzo falls in the middle, closer to the large. That said, it does so with a 2į steeper seattube. So still suspect an XL with the seat slammed forward might be decent for me. Thinking I need to demo at least one size!

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks so much for grabbing these measurements. As suspected, my Honzo falls in the middle, closer to the large. That said, it does so with a 2į steeper seattube. So still suspect an XL with the seat slammed forward might be decent for me. Thinking I need to demo at least one size!
    I cannot imagine how at 5' 9" a XL would possibly be a good fit. I am 6' and purchased a Large and it fits perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I cannot imagine how at 5' 9" a XL would possibly be a good fit. I am 6' and purchased a Large and it fits perfect.
    Several people debating size, I'm 6' too.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Several people debating size, I'm 6' too.
    My bad, thanks for the clarification.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I agree. 5í10Ē here and large is perfect. Couldnít imagine an XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    So I took the plunge and went with the trail Elite. Since all the talk recently is about sizing I will say I am 5í9Ē and the large seems great. I might want a tad shorter on the stem and maybe a bit more rise on the bars. Having said all of that I now have an awesome dilemma. Apparently I just won the GMBN Syncos package. With the premier piece being the Silverton SL wheelset. 1250 grams and ceramic bearings. Nice right. So like I said I bought the Elite so I have the carbon hoops. They are nice but really not in the same ballpark as the Silvertons, but I was excited about the 30mm internal width and the Silvertons are 26mm. I still have to go with the new wheels though. Right? Also won the carbon bar/stem combo that is equivalent to 70mm stem and negative rise. Will be looking for another bike or something for that as I was looking to raise the cockpit a smidge.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter_b3 View Post
    So I took the plunge and went with the trail Elite. Since all the talk recently is about sizing I will say I am 5í9Ē and the large seems great. I might want a tad shorter on the stem and maybe a bit more rise on the bars. Having said all of that I now have an awesome dilemma. Apparently I just won the GMBN Syncos package. With the premier piece being the Silverton SL wheelset. 1250 grams and ceramic bearings. Nice right. So like I said I bought the Elite so I have the carbon hoops. They are nice but really not in the same ballpark as the Silvertons, but I was excited about the 30mm internal width and the Silvertons are 26mm. I still have to go with the new wheels though. Right? Also won the carbon bar/stem combo that is equivalent to 70mm stem and negative rise. Will be looking for another bike or something for that as I was looking to raise the cockpit a smidge.
    Congrats brother. I just purchased the Sniper Trial Pro build. Picked it up last night, have not rode it yet, other than down my drive way in the pitch black. If you want to unload those carbon hoops, let me know.

mtbr member
    I rode a large sniper trail this past weekend and I'm 5-10 with a 30 inseam. All the other bikes I have demoed were large including HTLT, Ripmo, Ripley, Trance, Primer and Trail 429.
    Last edited by macdaddyg2006; 1 Week Ago at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ARGH xl trail experts not shipping til February! What to do...

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Mini Review:

I got my Sniper Trial Pro Build on Sunday, took it out yesterday for my first ride. I will compare it to my Ibis Ripley OG, and Epic Comp (Sold to buy the Ripley) Just a note, I prefer the Ripley over my Carbon Tallboy in every aspect, sold the Tallboy.

The Sniper is fast, like the Epic, in fact very similar XC bike acceleration. It is also very light, lighter than my Ripley Werx build with carbon hoops which was almost $2K more than the Sniper.

I noticed the advantages of the slack geometry and longer wheel base. The Sniper is smoother and more stable than the Ripley and way more stable than the Epic. Very apparent at speed, anything over ~ 20 mph. Even on the downhill of the fire roads the Sniper was smoother and easier to ride that the Ripley.

Pedaling platform seems solid, I did not feel any flex, I'm 6' /185#. I hit a few small drops and caught air a few times at speed - the bike is very stable. I am going to have to adjust to the slack geometry on the tighter trails, the bike is a little less responsive than the Ripley, maybe it is the longer wheelbase, I am not sure yet. The Ripley also seems better equipped for rougher terrain that requires slower speed travel through rough sections, ie. rock gardens.

The Sniper is at its best moving at a quick pace through groomed and moderately rough (roots/rocks) trails. On most of the trails that I ride, the Sniper will produce better Strava times than the Ripley and is far more fun and significantly smoother than my Epic.

I like the balance of the Sniper, when you bunny hop the front and rear wheels rise up together. The geometry is comfortable. Not a fan of the seat.

So far, the Sniper lives up to hype and performs as advertised, it is fast bike with a great pedaling platform that eats up smaller roots/rocks as well as any bike I have ever rode.

For those of you concerned that the geometry may be to slack, it has the same HT angle as the new 2019 Santa Cruise 5010 trail bike, the new Evil Offering trail bike and is less slack than the new Scott Genius trail bike.

Overall, I like it so far. Anxious to see how it performs on long rocky climbs, will report back when I have more time in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mini Review:

I got my Sniper Trial Pro Build on Sunday, took it out yesterday for my first ride. I will compare it to my Ibis Ripley OG, and Epic Comp (Sold to buy the Ripley) Just a note, I prefer the Ripley over my Carbon Tallboy in every aspect, sold the Tallboy.

The Sniper is fast, like the Epic, in fact very similar XC bike acceleration. It is also very light, lighter than my Ripley Werx build with carbon hoops which was almost $2K more than the Sniper.

I noticed the advantages of the slack geometry and longer wheel base. The Sniper is smoother and more stable than the Ripley and way more stable than the Epic. Very apparent at speed, anything over ~ 20 mph. Even on the downhill of the fire roads the Sniper was smoother and easier to ride that the Ripley.

Pedaling platform seems solid, I did not feel any flex, I'm 6' /185#. I hit a few small drops and caught air a few times at speed - the bike is very stable. I am going to have to adjust to the slack geometry on the tighter trails, the bike is a little less responsive than the Ripley, maybe it is the longer wheelbase, I am not sure yet. The Ripley also seems better equipped for rougher terrain that requires slower speed travel through rough sections, ie. rock gardens.

The Sniper is at its best moving at a quick pace through groomed and moderately rough (roots/rocks) trails. On most of the trails that I ride, the Sniper will produce better Strava times than the Ripley and is far more fun and significantly smoother than my Epic.

I like the balance of the Sniper, when you bunny hop the front and rear wheels rise up together. The geometry is comfortable. Not a fan of the seat.

So far, the Sniper lives up to hype and performs as advertised, it is fast bike with a great pedaling platform that eats up smaller roots/rocks as well as any bike I have ever rode.

For those of you concerned that the geometry may be to slack, it has the same HT angle as the new 2019 Santa Cruise 5010 trail bike, the new Evil Offering trail bike and is less slack than the new Scott Genius trail bike.

Overall, I like it so far. Anxious to see how it performs on long rocky climbs, will report back when I have more time in the saddle.
    What size did you go with, and did you change anything from stock to accomodate?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast