If 5.5 is not burly enough, would 6.6 hold better?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

If 5.5 is not burly enough, would 6.6 hold better?

I got my 5.5 not too long ago, but rode around a lot and love how it works. But I'm getting this cracking sound as I mentioned in the other thread and want to gather some information from people who had migrated from 5.5 to 6.6 and kindly provide your thoughts after the migration.

I use my 5.5 for mainly playing around locally, jumping, dropping stairways and riding around. I was using Iron Horse mkIII for that but since 5th Air on mkIII was not strong against bottoming, I ended up bending the bore and bolts of the rear suspension, but I just came across with this 5.5 frame and instead of changing the rear suspension on mkIII, I bought 5.5 frame instead. I use air suspended full suspension bike for urban stuff because I have bad knee and ankle and riding rigid frame would make the condition worse.

If I swap all of the parts from 5.5 to 6.6, would it be a lot heavier and larger, so I won't be able to do much bunny hopping and tricks? I have Nixon Platinum Intrinsic and also getting Marzocchi All Mountain SL 1, so I would make the fork shorter for jumping and playing around. I'm a short person in height, so I would get small size frame.

I don't do crazy jumps, but moderate stuff like these.

Would 6.6 rideable around town and not too heavy or large comparing to 5.5?
    Maybe I should get Tazer VPP, but I don't want it to be so heavy and don't feel competent to ride such a racey bike and I would have to get a lot shorter fork for that, too.

mtbr member
    If you are more into jumping and street riding, maybe get a dj/4x fs. How about the kona cowan or a blur 4x? Transition makes freeride bikes with short travel too. check them out. Are you selling your mkiii?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for chiming in.
    Right now, I have Intense 5.5, Kona Stab Primo, Moab Bomb (more like to take someone with this bike) and MKIII frame.
    I used to have Kona Stab and Dawg for jumping and playing around, but wanted to get into better brand than Kona. I thought of Blur 4x, but since I'm short in height (5'3"), the stand over height does not look too comfortable to me and also I like how Intense bikes made over SC with lots more details.

If I'm going to shorter travel, I would buy Tazer VPP. But considering that I only rode my Stab Primo once this year, I'm leaning towards consolidate everything to one bike, jumping and playing, also doing light downhill.

So in this thread, I want to know how much stronger 6.6 would be over 5.5.

Full suspension Cowan looks like a fun bike for sure. But I don't know if I like the real (hidden) meaning of the kona logo. After knowing that, kind of turned me off.

thats right living legend

I'll Bite...

Quote Originally Posted by StabbedDawg
    Thanks for chiming in.
    Right now, I have Intense 5.5, Kona Stab Primo, Moab Bomb (more like to take someone with this bike) and MKIII frame.
    I used to have Kona Stab and Dawg for jumping and playing around, but wanted to get into better brand than Kona. I thought of Blur 4x, but since I'm short in height (5'3"), the stand over height does not look too comfortable to me and also I like how Intense bikes made over SC with lots more details.

If I'm going to shorter travel, I would buy Tazer VPP. But considering that I only rode my Stab Primo once this year, I'm leaning towards consolidate everything to one bike, jumping and playing, also doing light downhill.

So in this thread, I want to know how much stronger 6.6 would be over 5.5.

Full suspension Cowan looks like a fun bike for sure. But I don't know if I like the real (hidden) meaning of the kona logo. After knowing that, kind of turned me off.

Ok, what's the real/hidden meaning of the Kona logo??? Now I must know!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I talked to Cedric Gracia about it and he loved it but have you seen the Kona site and had the photo of racoon walking away and showing his rear?

Saucy Size
    Intense recommended I upgrade my thrice-busted 5.5 for a 6.6 for just this reason. However, the 6.6 isn't per se "more burly" due to construction. It's slacker and longer-travel, and Intense's assumption is that if I don't change my riding habits, then longer travel = a more durable bike because I'm not bottoming it as often. The tubing on 6.6 is virtually identical to that of the 5.5; I was told the down tube and seat tube are the same tubeset for both bikes.

Once I got the 6.6, all this struck me as disingenuous. I love the 6.6 but it demands I run a 7" fork. Well...if I have a 7" fork and a nice, slack HA then by golly I'm going to push that bike even harder than I did the 5.5. Of course I'm going to change my riding habits! So I may have put myself back into the situation I had with my first bike: Being just a little too hard on the bike as it is designed.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    the 6.6 isn't per se "more burly" due to construction. It's slacker and longer-travel
    though not speaking from experience, that is my understanding as well.

if "burly" is what you want, I would look elsewhere or if you want intense, you need to jump over the 6.6 but then you are in a very different realm of bike altogether which may make no sense.

mtbr member

I love my 6.6

I haven't felt as if I were going to break mine and I ride it at least 3 times a week and jump it EVERY time I ride. I did just get a coil shock and MAN DID IT BRING THIS BIKE TO LIFE!!!!!!!! RIDE ON- E2
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

I will also add

I shortened the travel on my 66RC down to 150mm(from170) according to the Intense catalog you can get by with using as short as a 145mm travel fork.....I would imagine that a coil PIKE would probably give you close to the same HA you are used to, I almost swapped mine from my urban bike just for shiz and giggles, before shortening my 66.

Peace & Love
    sweet pics dawg!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I dont get it!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by StabbedDawg
    I talked to Cedric Gracia about it and he loved it but have you seen the Kona site and had the photo of racoon walking away and showing his rear?
    I checked the web site and I still dont get it. Regardless, I sold Kona for about 4 years and always thought that it was about the name. Thats what people know but their products are old tech. and IMHO suck. Very hart to sell next to Specialized, Giant, and most other bigger brands. Please explain further.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's the path of our deposits.

I felt the same about the old tech. thing.
    I had spent a lot of time with the Kona bikes, as you can see at this site, but othe bikes just got so much better. I just can't figure out why they don't want to pay the license to Specialize to make them with horst-link.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    sweet pics dawg!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I shortened the travel on my 66RC down to 150mm(from170) according to the Intense catalog you can get by with using as short as a 145mm travel fork.....I would imagine that a coil PIKE would probably give you close to the same HA you are used to, I almost swapped mine from my urban bike just for shiz and giggles, before shortening my 66.
    I've seen your photos, you have the nice landing slope there, something like that would be the most I would do.
    I'm getting an All Mountain SL 1, so I'm thinking I can shoten the fork riding around town and doing jumping. Say E2, will 6.6 bearable to ride around in town? I have no problem what so ever riding my 5.5 as normal bike for the streets (fo course more fun). If it is, I would consolicate everything I have (Stab Primo and 5.5) to single 6.6 with All Mountain SL 1 which can be adjusted from locked to plush, 120mm through 160mm.

KMG
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    [email protected], could you elaborate a bit more on what difference going over to a coil shock made to the ride/characteristics of the 6.6. I run a 6.6 with a 36 Vanilla and was thinking of going with a DHX 5.0 coil with ti spring. The bike runs a bit front heavy with that fork and was hoping that it would balance things out a bit. Plus, I also found the DHX 5.0 air shock a little too linear for my tastes. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by KMG; 11-07-2006 at 02:22 AM.

mtbr member

Stabbed Dog

The 6.6 is bearable to ride around town..actually it's very fun to ride around town....ledges....stairs.......little jumps. Ride On- E2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    The 6.6 is bearable to ride around town..actually it's very fun to ride around town....ledges....stairs.......little jumps. Ride On- E2
    That's it. That's the answer I wanted.

suspension whore
    My 6.6 weigh's in around 32lbs with a fox 36 VAN up front and downhill bars and cranks.
    Super solid and by no means light weight. It's my alround bike that I use for almost all my riding. My local ride is an 16 mile round trip with a 3500 foot rise in elevation over 8 miles of climbing. The 6.6 is not a race bike but it handles it efficiently and is an excellent climber- you're just not going to win any races.
    Where the bike shines is the descents, its solid, stable and confidence inspiring. It rides like a light weight version of my demo 9. I know only drag out the downhill bike for lift serviced riding or the most abusive DH shuttles.
    NO bike can be perfect for everything but the 6.6 comes awfully close.

AS for the rear suspension the DHX air is finicky to set up but a competent fork with decent weight. I will, eventually up grade to the cane creek DB with the ti coil.
    I rode that fork once on my 6.6 and out of the box it was perfect.
    The pefrormance was an improvement and it balanced against the fox 36 VAN perfectly.
    I highly recommend that combo.

I also have the cane creek head set- flush XC, to keep the front end ride height down to assist with climbing
    Ive had it in a year with no problems. Make sure your builder measures before instilation.

The UZZI is burlier but not as much of an alround bike .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

mtbr member
    Matthew,

Thanks for sharing your story.
    I'm thinking to own a coilover on the side for when I go to bike parks.

Now I'm more than confident to go anywhere with 6.6.

Members who have read this thread: 0