Any Large Spider 29s showing up yet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any Large Spider 29s showing up yet?

Just curious to see one in the L or XL size. From what I have heard, the larges are currently in production and the XLs are too follow.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03
    Just curious to see one in the L or XL size. From what I have heard, the larges are currently in production and the XLs are too follow.
    Not yet... If all goes well, though, larges will be sent to paint at the end of this week!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Thanks, Dave.

I am sure you will let me know as soon as that XL shows up.

mtbr member
    I've heard, that my Large Spider 29 will be shipped May, 16.

hopefully

mtbr member
    I got word that we have them due in shortly...

mtbr member
    Got 2 large works frames in today. Ride On- E2 [email protected]
    Don't drink it

mtbr member

Any chance of posting a pic or two...

of one of those rare specimens?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Got 2 large works frames in today. Ride On- E2 [email protected]

mtbr member
    I'm on it, I'll post in a minute.
    Don't drink it

mtbr member

here goes nothing

notice the new downtube shape to allow for clearance of the fork without using a plus race to provide clearance, so no more worrying about the headangle changing. Ride On- E2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't drink it

mtbr member
    Eric,

Thanks for the photos, the raw works finish looks simply awesome on the Spider. I look forward to hearing feedback from some of the bigger brothers out there once they get some time on these.

- Q

ride
    Building mine up tonight, can't wait! I'll have some ride reports up soon. We've got some big riding planned for the next few days...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=297015

This bike will be perfect for the terrain we have around here.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Building mine up tonight, can't wait! I'll have some ride reports up soon. We've got some big riding planned for the next few days...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=297015

This bike will be perfect for the terrain we have around here.
    Can't wait to see it

...and maybe take her for a spin on Saturday

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ive had mine for a week now but, Intense is changing the rear geometry. The rear wheel hits the seat tube before the shock bottoms out. The bike is an awsome ride. I raced it this past weekend and scored a 2nd. This is my first 29er and I have no complaints. This bike is a beast that can tame any rock gardens or tight singletrack. The steep head angle makes the bike feel just as nimble as any 26er.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chachi91
    The rear wheel hits the seat tube before the shock bottoms out.
    really?

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Got'em yet?
    Ride impressions?
    Want to pull the trigger, but a bit leary of the HA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job! Spider Beast!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SyT
    Got'em yet?
    Ride impressions?
    Want to pull the trigger, but a bit leary of the HA

I thought about the HA also but took the dive and man oh man Beast thats what mine is and mine is a med. You won't be dissapointed, I am commin of a Spec Epic and words can't describe how the bike performs. There isn't anything the bike can't do well.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, I went for it. I'm hoping your assessment carries over to my own experience. Even went for the works finish, which was a struggle of a decision in itself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any news about these frames?
    Been waiting for over 7 months now, so starting to get a "little" anxious.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I recieved mne from CC yesterday. (Large works)

mtbr member

Some final bulld pics if you please, SyT...

I was hoping Dave from Redstone would post some pics of his large by now, I believe that he has been riding his for a couple of weeks. I am patiently waiting on an XL and hope they have at least started production or are really close to getting started.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Man I would love to but I doubt that I will have this thing complete this month. Should be by the first week of July.

mtbr member

Patience....

Quote Originally Posted by SyT
    Man I would love to but I doubt that I will have this thing complete this month. Should be by the first week of July.
    you obviously have much more than I do. Look forward to seeing the final build.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03
    I was hoping Dave from Redstone would post some pics of his large by now, I believe that he has been riding his for a couple of weeks. I am patiently waiting on an XL and hope they have at least started production or are really close to getting started.
    I still need to do that, don't I?

I've been super slammed but I will get some snapped shortly. I put a Reba on it. Good fork, but I've found myself missing the Maverick DUC fork that I had on my 6.6. The added .5" of travel over the Reba is negligible, but I am really missing the superb front end stiffness. Sooo... I am building up a new wheel this week for my new 29er-fied DUC32. I'll get some pics after the transformation is complete.

You guys didn't want to see just another picture of an unpainted Spider with a Reba anyway, did you?

Oh, almost forgot. XLs are expected early July now. Just got the word today.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

contains quinine
    I still need to do that, don't I?

You guys didn't want to see just another picture of an unpainted Spider with a Reba anyway, did you?
    I checked the LFTF pics, and here's the one picture I have of your new bike, action photo! Climbing? Climb on!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

ride
    Ah - digital proof that I do make time to get out and ride on occasion!
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    No patience, just no drive train yet!!

mtbr member
    hi frobo

I received my Spider 29 Large in pearlwhite today! The first INTENSE 29er here in Switzerland! (maybe in whole Europe?)

what's your current situation?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Lucky you!

I haven't got mine yet, but it should be right around the corner(I hope!). It was shipped last week.

ride

Xl!

All of you taller guys waiting on XL Spider 29s should be in luck shortly. I just got word that an unpainted XL I've had on backorder for a long time is shipping this week. Painted frames should be another couple weeks away.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member

Uh oh...

All of you taller guys waiting on XL Spider 29s should be in luck shortly. I just got word that an unpainted XL I've had on backorder for a long time is shipping this week. Painted frames should be another couple weeks away.
    Could it be?

mtbr member

first pictures

Here is the first picture of my Large Spider fresh from the dealer The white bride
    Tomorrow I'll do a first ride in the alps of Switzerland and I'm totally eager to get the first ride impressions.

PS: It weigths 13,4 Kilo (I thougt 12,x should be possible, but...)

mtbr member
    just finished

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks really nice

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I finally got mine!!!

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    How about some riding impressions? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an XL.

mtbr member

Just finished the build on an XL over the weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    How about some riding impressions? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an XL.
    but won't get a chance to get out until later this week (if the afternoon rains hold off). I will report back when I get a little saddle time. The frame built up nicely with no surprises and the stand over is excellent for a frame this size.

mtbr member
    We built up a large white for a local and he picked it up Friday
    he was giddy

we have a large black en route unspoken for

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Considering an XL. Any pics of an XL built up? Curious to see the geometry in built form.

mtbr member

I'll try and get a few pics taken this evening...

... and post them up early tomorrow morning. If the rains hold off again today, I should get my first ride in. If you are 6'-3" tall or taller, I would definitely look at the XL.

Considering an XL. Any pics of an XL built up? Curious to see the geometry in built form.

Recovering
    Not built, but here's the XL frame. Just came in last night...

BTW- weighed the frame/shock/seat collar at the shop, and weight was 6 lbs 13 oz for the XL. I was happily surprised at the weight, since I was hoping for a little more weight and strength in the XL...
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member

Here are a couple of quick pics I snapped yesterday afternoon.

First ride last night. The bars are too high for my preference, I'll be switching to lo-rise or flat bars very soon. Handling is very precise and the suspension is simply awesome. The VPP set up is very plush and bobbing is almost non-existent when pedaling the flats. The bike has a surging sensation when pedaling fast through rough trails, almost like the chain tightens under the load of the suspension and squirts the bike forward when the suspension rebounds (I became used to this almost immediately and it's kinda hard to explain this sensation). It has no pedal kick back or brake jacking that I notice, but the suspension definitely affects forward movement when under way. I still have a lot of tinkering to do with shock and fork adjustments and I didn't have the sag set spot on. I plan to carry a shock pump with me this Sunday on a longer ride and get it dialed in.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Q - is that an XL?? The bike looks awesome. How much travel do you end up with on the Maverick? I know you need to spend some time dialing in the suspension, but did that fork feel balanced in terms of the amount travel it has?

Curious to know what it weighs and how you have it built up. What wheels are those?

Look forward to hearing more of your impressions.

mtbr member
    It is an XL. The Maverick is 4-1/2" of travel after the 29er conversion. The travel is well matched to the rear, but I need to spend some time to get the front and rear more balanced. I don't know what the final build weight is, but I would guestimate it at around 29 lbs or so. The wheels are King hubs with DT Swiss TK 7.1 disc rims. This weekend will see some long rides on more demanding trails, so I hope to get everything in tune then.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Look forward to hearing your review. Been thinking about picking one up, but was worried about HT angle being too steep. If there was a U-Turn Reba out there with adjustable travel (like the xc fork with 85-115mm adjustment), then I wouldn't be worried about it. Would be easy to slacken it out if it felt too steep.

mtbr member
    Look forward to hearing your review. Been thinking about picking one up, but was worried about HT angle being too steep. If there was a U-Turn Reba out there with adjustable travel (like the xc fork with 85-115mm adjustment), then I wouldn't be worried about it. Would be easy to slacken it out if it felt too steep.
    Well you could always remove the travel spacer in the left leg(on Reba) and bump the travel up to 100mm, that would make a sizable difference. It's an easy job to do, and will only take about 10 minutes. I know it's no U-turn but it can slacken the HA a bit, and you would probably like it better that way.
    Don't drink it

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I checked with Intense regarding availability of an XL and they are already gone. I have a local shop that I would normally buy through, but if there is a shop out there with an XL I would be interested in talking further.

Anyone know of a shop with and XL in stock??

Recovering
    First ride today on my XL was great. After finishing the build last night, and riding it around the neighborhood, I was nervous- head angle felt steep, steering felt a bit "weird" on pavement. On the trail, though, it was something else- light, nimble, fast. I've never ridden a 29er that carves singletrack turns like that. Really fun to ride. A completely different ride experience from my Uzzi...

Funny thing was, side-by-side with a friend's Sultan, the head angle appeared to be nearly identical with both forks at 100mm.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Great looking bike! Funny thing - the XL 29er looks like a medium 26" bike. The wheel size really does work for larger bikes.

Did the frame feel sturdy to you? I'm always concerned about what happens when you take lighter weight tubes and use them in a larger frame size.

What about the matchup with the 100mm Reba? Feel okay?

What wheels are you running?

Saucy Size
    Gorgeous looking ride, jbogner. I'm so very, very tempted to pick up a FS 29er -- I've been riding the hell out of my Explosiv for a year now and I'm completely sold. My poor 6.6 hasn't seen much action at all all year. If I can slack it out a tad -- and it sounds like a Reba at 100mm is the ticket -- I'll probably pull the trigger for Xmas.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Recovering
    It's a fun bike. Like I said, my initial parking-lot-test reaction when setting it up was unfavorable. Definitely feels too steep when just tooling around and I was pretty bummed to build up the bike and then not feel really excited about it. I've ridden a Paragon hardtail for the past couple years, and have spent significant time on friends' Karate Monkeys, Rip9s, 292's, and others, so I'm fairly used to the slow-ish handling that comes with 29ers. By comparison, the Spider 29er is noticeably quicker. On the trail, once I got used to it, I couldn't get over how fun it was to blast through twisty singletrack and not blow out the tight turns. I won't lie- through the really technical stuff, it took more technique to get through than if it had a slacker head angle. But this is the bike I wanted. Very, very fast. Stable at speed. Nimble through the tight stuff. Fantastic climber even through technical terrain. Light yet surefooted and capable.

Still need a set of Rampages for it. I've loved Ignitors on the Paragon, but they just seem too light and flimsy for how I want to push this bike. So far so good after one ride. Got a few races coming up, and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces in a 40-miler next weekend...

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    How is the bike for toe overlap with the front wheel in the XL size. I've read that there are some issues on the smaller frames - what about on the XL?? Any problems noted??

Recovering
    How is the bike for toe overlap with the front wheel in the XL size. I've read that there are some issues on the smaller frames - what about on the XL?? Any problems noted??
    Haven't experienced any, in 9 hours of riding so far. Just measured, and it's 6.5" from axle at its most forward point, to the tire. Plenty of clearance for the front of my shoe...

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the feedback and the measurements. I'll check it the clearance on my current ride - that sounds like plenty of space though.

Members who have read this thread: 0