951 running a cane creek dbair

Just about to buy a 951 and was thinking of using a cane creek dbair
    Has anyone tried this yet ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That looks like a no then .....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not on a 951, but on my Uzzi... I'm having difficulty tuning it to match the Uzzi's rising rate. Basically nearly impossible to get end stroke travel even with no HSC. I've been working with a suspension tuning service and they are also experiencing issues with their own setups. So, in a nutshell I am waiting for more information.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Not on a 951, but on my Uzzi... I'm having difficulty tuning it to match the Uzzi's rising rate. Basically nearly impossible to get end stroke travel even with no HSC. I've been working with a suspension tuning service and they are also experiencing issues with their own setups. So, in a nutshell I am waiting for more information.
    Do you have the tools to take the air sleeve off? By looking at the cut away pictures of the Db Air I suspect that it has a chamber to control bottom out. Take a look at the cut aways. I bet if you remove the o-ring between the inner air sleeve and the outer air sleeve closest to the non reservoir end the shock will be less progressive. If it is too linear then the volume of the air sleeve could be easily reduced with shims.
    I don't have a DB Air but if I did I would pop it apart and take a look. It should not take more than a few minutes with the appropriate tools.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    Do you have the tools to take the air sleeve off? By looking at the cut away pictures of the Db Air I suspect that it has a chamber to control bottom out. Take a look at the cut aways. I bet if you remove the o-ring between the inner air sleeve and the outer air sleeve closest to the non reservoir end the shock will be less progressive. If it is too linear then the volume of the air sleeve could be easily reduced with shims.
    I don't have a DB Air but if I did I would pop it apart and take a look. It should not take more than a few minutes with the appropriate tools.
    The DBAir ships in the most linear setup with no volume reducers installed. You get a packet of these with the shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The 951 would be a horrible candidate for the DBair due to its leverage ratio curve. You would never be able to get anywhere near bottom out. Just go with the DBcoil and run the bike in the 8" setting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    The DBAir ships in the most linear setup with no volume reducers installed. You get a packet of these with the shock.
    I think you might have misread my post. This is not about adjusting the volume of the air sleeve with volume reducing shims or removing a shim to increase volume. It appears as though there is a chamber between the positive and negative air chambers in the air sleeve. It looks like just dead volume. Remove the o-ring and get a lot more volume and a more linear shock. This would be similar (by increasing air chamber volume) to what a lot of people have done to Fox Float forks to make them less progressive.

1:18

Members who have read this thread: 0