5.5 Off-center rear wheel- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    54

    5.5 Off-center rear wheel

    As I was browsing through another section of this forum, I came upon this thread :

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=52846

    I have this same issue with my 5.5 ever since it has been built up. The mechanic who built it pointed this out to me. He tried "truing" the wheel so it will be centered. As from the pics, this is the closest to the center he can get it.

    The wheel is not out of true whatsoever as I didn't have this problem when it was on my Bullit. Is this something to be concerned about? I'm wondering how common is this to other 5.5 owners. Someone from the linked thread mentioned that a bent frame is the possible culprit. Is it possible that Intense shipped out a bent frame from the factory? When I picked up the frame from the bike shop, the shop owner opened the box in front of me so it wasn't taken out of the box before that. Its box did not have any visible damage from UPS.

    Any ideas or comments? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    663

    I guess

    it could be a misaligned frame, though it's hard to tell from the picture if its the wheel or the frame.
    I also had the same problem with one of my previous bikes (not an Intense, but also a high end frame) .
    The guys at the shop also said it was my wheel (though on the previous bike it seemed OK), and as hard as they tried they couldnt really align it to my satisfactory. After that I upgraded my frame again, and suddenly on the new frame (an Intense Spider) the wheel was true.
    There are tools to check these things, but not every bike mechanic has them.
    The easyest thing to do is to install your wheel on other frames and see how it fits.
    You can also try other wheels on your frame.
    Good luck, and let us know what you came up with.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,196
    I am assuming that your frame is brand new. I would ask your LBS to fit any new wheel into it just to see if you have the same result. If so, under no circumstances would I accept the frame. It may just be the rear triangle but in any case I would contact Intense and get the frame back to them. My 5point5 is as straight as a die and you should not have the problem. If you continue to try and fix the problem your bike will never be right. If your frame is untrue due to incorrect jigging, which I guess can happen with hand builds, I'm sure Intense will help you out.

    Ronnie.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    21

    alignment

    Alignment on my Spider is off as well. The wheel sits the other way--tire rub is particularly difficult to prevent. Doesn't seem to affect ride otherwise, just have to run really weannie little tires.

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    I would strongly recommend trying other wheels AND other tires. Its still quite possible the wheel is not dished correctly. If the frame is misaligned contact Intense and have them replace that under warranty. Don't patch the problem by messing up the wheel dishing. There is no excuse for a $2000+ frame you paid for to be out of alignment. Get them to fix it.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    28
    not to diss Intense (iīm a loyal Intense customer as well) but unfortunately Intense has a history of shipping frames that are misaligned... just pick up the 97 MBA issue in which MBA tested this yellow-red M-1, itīs rear triangle was also out of whack. the wrecking crew subsequently checked other Intense frames at a major DH race and many of the frames had the same problem..

    So send the frame back instead of truing your wheels! as far as Iīm concerned Intenseīs support is good

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    586

    I just checked my frame and........

    my wheel is a little off center by maybe 1/8 of an inch.If I have my wheel re-dished it would take care of the problem.
    It's not as extreme as the one in the picture.
    I would throw another wheel in there and see if its the same.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    586

    Where is n10's guy? Maybe he could shed some light on this

    He works for Intense, right?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    307
    Please contact Bobby at [email protected]. or (951) 296-9596 X22 He will issue you an RA, we need to get the frame back to check it. If its significantly out of alignment I guarantee we will make it right for you.

  10. #10
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,695
    You don't need to test other wheels in there. You can simply flip the wheel over (so the cassette is on the left) and clamp it in place. If it is still off to the same side, the frame may be out of alignment. If the wheel now appears to be closer to the other side, then the wheel's dish is incorrect.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    54
    I just came back from my local Intense dealer and I had a mechanic there check the alignment of the frame. Before he started measuring the frame, he checked the trueness of the wheel and it is dished correctly.

    Next is the frame. He found some discrepancies on the measurements of the swingarm and suggested to have the frame sent back to Intense. Bad news . I'm going to be bikeless for at least 2 weeks. Just thinking about the time I won't be able to ride is making me anxious. Mind you, it took almost a month for me to get the frame that was in stock and I don't want to imagine how long it will take for Intense to measure and fix the frame's alignment. I will be keeping this thread updated.

    .....and now the waiting begins.


    Quote Originally Posted by n10'sGuy
    Please contact Bobby at [email protected]. or (951) 296-9596 X22 He will issue you an RA, we need to get the frame back to check it. If its significantly out of alignment I guarantee we will make it right for you.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    54

    Update

    I got my frame back today. I can't wait to rebuild it again...hopefully tomorrow. The fix was a new swingarm. They even color matched the "Spider" stickers that I had put on it. Many of you may not like the way I did the stickers but they suit me just fine It makes my frame unique in a way.

    I'm looking for a new fork...Any suggestions? I'm looking in the way of the Fox TALAS RLC but I don't I need all of its height adjustments. How about the Float RLC?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by SlideZ32
    I'm looking for a new fork...Any suggestions? I'm looking in the way of the Fox TALAS RLC but I don't I need all of its height adjustments. How about the Float RLC?
    Its great that you got it sorted out. I was sure that Intense wouldn't let you down.

    I've been thinking for some time of replacing my Minute 3 with a Fox Float or TALAS. I started a thread a while ago in which I asked the same question:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=49945

    I also don't find the travel adjust to be of much use. My 04 Minute 3 has 100mm or 130mm settings but the sag is set at 25% so lower than the 100mm position anyway. The general concensus though was that the TALAS is a smoother and more linear feeling fork. There is also the issue of the the rebound knob on the RLC forks hitting the downtube gusset on small 5.5 frames. I can't establish if the same is true for medium. Yours looks like a medium also. If you go for it, won't you please post and let me know what you find out?

    Ronnie.

  14. #14
    Hold on for 8 seconds!
    Reputation: Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    59

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by SlideZ32
    I got my frame back today. I can't wait to rebuild it again...hopefully tomorrow. The fix was a new swingarm. They even color matched the "Spider" stickers that I had put on it. Many of you may not like the way I did the stickers but they suit me just fine It makes my frame unique in a way.

    I'm looking for a new fork...Any suggestions? I'm looking in the way of the Fox TALAS RLC but I don't I need all of its height adjustments. How about the Float RLC?
    Hey slidez32,
    Cool idea with the stickers. I like it!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    54
    Ronnie, yes my frame is a medium also. I went to my LBS earlier today and checked out the FOX TALAS and its fitment with the 5.5 frame and it "seems" that the adjustments knobs would hit the downtube gusset.

    I pretty much had my mind set on the TALAS regardless of its unneeded height adjustments on my part. But I read a post from someone on the thread you linked that you may never know when you might you need it. Upon reading the thread you started, the consensus of the people who responded believe the TALAS is the choice. Their documented experiences with the TALAS versus other forks pretty much sealed my decision as to which fork to get.

    Despite of the knobs hitting the downtube gusset, I still bought the TALAS RLC. I figured I can always put something on the frame to protect it in case of a crash. A piece of rubber from a tire comes to mind. If you have ever seen downhill bikes with double crown forks, owners would put pieces of tires around the stanchions or on the frame itself to prevent damage.

    The shop also had the Minute 3 in stock so I had to see if its knobs would clear the frame and was surprised to find out that too seem to hit the frame at about the same impact point. Mind you, my frame did not have any headsets installed so there might be a chance that the knobs would not hit the frame(keeping my fingers crossed) once the headsets are installed. I will find out for sure tomorrow and would take pictures once my rebuilding is done.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Its great that you got it sorted out. I was sure that Intense wouldn't let you down.

    I've been thinking for some time of replacing my Minute 3 with a Fox Float or TALAS. I started a thread a while ago in which I asked the same question:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=49945

    I also don't find the travel adjust to be of much use. My 04 Minute 3 has 100mm or 130mm settings but the sag is set at 25% so lower than the 100mm position anyway. The general concensus though was that the TALAS is a smoother and more linear feeling fork. There is also the issue of the the rebound knob on the RLC forks hitting the downtube gusset on small 5.5 frames. I can't establish if the same is true for medium. Yours looks like a medium also. If you go for it, won't you please post and let me know what you find out?

    Ronnie.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by SlideZ32
    Ronnie, yes my frame is a medium also. I went to my LBS earlier today and checked out the FOX TALAS and its fitment with the 5.5 frame and it "seems" that the adjustments knobs would hit the downtube gusset. .
    When you have it fitted I would realy appreciate seeing a photo of the fork interface with the frame.


    Quote Originally Posted by SlideZ32
    I pretty much had my mind set on the TALAS regardless of its unneeded height adjustments on my part. But I read a post from someone on the thread you linked that you may never know when you might you need it. Upon reading the thread you started, the consensus of the people who responded believe the TALAS is the choice. Their documented experiences with the TALAS versus other forks pretty much sealed my decision as to which fork to get..
    I agree with you about the TALAS but I want to get a Stratos ID cartridge so I'll buy the TALAS R. I had a Fox F100X before and I liked the Inertial valve locking out. People are saying that the Stratos ID is better and I can fit it to a 130mm TALAS.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlideZ32
    The shop also had the Minute 3 in stock so I had to see if its knobs would clear the frame and was surprised to find out that too seem to hit the frame at about the same impact point. Mind you, my frame did not have any headsets installed so there might be a chance that the knobs would not hit the frame(keeping my fingers crossed) once the headsets are installed. I will find out for sure tomorrow and would take pictures once my rebuilding is done.
    As I said I have a 2004 Minute 3 fitted at the moment. there are no adjustment knobs on the top of the fork, only air valves, and they clear well with no problem. What headset are you going to use? I've got a Chris King.

    Thanks for the information,

    Ronnie.

  17. #17
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    When you have it fitted I would realy appreciate seeing a photo of the fork interface with the frame.




    I agree with you about the TALAS but I want to get a Stratos ID cartridge so I'll buy the TALAS R. I had a Fox F100X before and I liked the Inertial valve locking out. People are saying that the Stratos ID is better and I can fit it to a 130mm TALAS.



    As I said I have a 2004 Minute 3 fitted at the moment. there are no adjustment knobs on the top of the fork, only air valves, and they clear well with no problem. What headset are you going to use? I've got a Chris King.

    Thanks for the information,

    Ronnie.
    I think I spoke with you about this some time ago Ronnie. My med. 5.5 has a TALAS rlc on it with a King headset. I had a crash the first time out with it that spun the bars all the way round to the right, and I had to apply some mild pressure to get the knobs back past the downtube gusset.

    The problem has not reoccurred in seven months of riding, and neither the frame or fork seem to have suffered in the least because of it.

    Here are some pix. In the second one you can see how close it is to clearing, and in the third photo you can see what little damage there was. The small scratch on the lower weld is where the screw that retains the knobs scraped past the gusset.

    I don't worry about this at all, and if I were you , and wanted to run this fork, I wouldn't worry about it then either.

    Hope this clears up some questions.

    Vick
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,196
    Hi Vick,
    Thanks a lot for post and especially the pictures. You did say it scrapes but I was worried about cutting a groove in the frame and causing a weakness. According to Stratos the rebound knob on their cartridge is a few mm. lower than the RLC so it will probably clear.

    Ronnie.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    54

    Here are my pics....

    VpointVick...thanks for showing your pics. The damage on your frame is nothing to be concerned about. But if you would look at mine in the pictures, a big damage would occur if I were to crash. My frame is also a medium. The headset that is on the bike now is just temporary till I get my CK headset next week. My LBS did not have them in stock so they had to order me a set. I put a cheap headset just so I can ride the bike. It's been almost a month since I've ridden it last and I'm sure you guys know how it feels not to be able to ride.

    The pics are not that clear due to my black frame and it just soaked up all the lighting from the camera.

    1st pic: The front wheel is turned to the right with the camera in 'front' of the bike.
    2nd pic: The front wheel is turned to the right with the camera 'behind' the fork.
    3rd pic: Front wheel turned to the left with the camera in 'front' of the bike.
    4th pic: Front wheel turned to the left with the camera 'behind' the fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,196
    Hi SlideZ32,

    With that headset it looks like the Travel Adjust dial also hits the frame. Can't tell for sure from the photos. Let me know how it looks with your Chris King fitted.

    Ronnie.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    54

    ...

    Got my CK headsets installed today. The clearance is a little better from the previous headsets I had but not enough for the adjustments knobs to clear the downtube without doing damage....from what I can tell, very minimal at that.

    Regardless, I'm still happy with the Fox TALAS. Even though I haven't ridden the bike with the TALAS on the trails, I can already feel and tell the difference from my old Z1 FR SL....way better handling and plusher.

    Vick, can you please post the settings on your TALAS? My frame is medium and I weigh about180lbs with gear.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Hi SlideZ32,

    With that headset it looks like the Travel Adjust dial also hits the frame. Can't tell for sure from the photos. Let me know how it looks with your Chris King fitted.

    Ronnie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by SlideZ32
    Got my CK headsets installed today. The clearance is a little better from the previous headsets I had but not enough for the adjustments knobs to clear the downtube without doing damage....from what I can tell, very minimal at that.

    Regardless, I'm still happy with the Fox TALAS. Even though I haven't ridden the bike with the TALAS on the trails, I can already feel and tell the difference from my old Z1 FR SL....way better handling and plusher.

    Vick, can you please post the settings on your TALAS? My frame is medium and I weigh about180lbs with gear.
    Sorry for the delay Slide, I've been away from the computer.

    I'm 195 with gear and run 90psi in the spring, rebound 4 clicks from full slow, compression 7 clicks from full soft, and the lockout threshold 2 clicks from full light so that it emulates an SPV fork when locked out.

Similar Threads

  1. Welcome, here's your 29er FAQ thread!
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
  2. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  3. Where to find inexpensive SS rear wheel?
    By sea otter in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-23-2004, 04:54 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 06:58 AM
  5. Setting up the rear wheel
    By New2SS in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 09:47 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.