2020 Primer- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Primer

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2020 Primer

A couple questions about the new Primer 2020:

Does anyone know how large of a rear tire the S version can handle in 27.5? Can it be used as a true 27.5+ bike for winter use with 3.0-tires?

The original drafts for the Primer from about a year ago showed an ACV version with wider rear end than the 29er. Are the rear ends of the Primer S and Primer 29 now the same?

Is the tire clearance on the Primer 29 better than the old Primer? I am running 29x2.6 on my old Primer, but with very little tire clearance. Was hoping for space for a 29x2.8 winter tire as well.

Complete bikes come with 170mm cranks. Will it work ok with 175mm in high BB setting?

WTF is downcountry?
    I can't answer your questions but it does look like some nice upgrades. More travel, got rid of box section lower link, tabs for a proper chain guide or skid basher, kept the geo trail friendly. Is there gonna be an E version?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    A couple questions about the new Primer 2020:

Does anyone know how large of a rear tire the S version can handle in 27.5? Can it be used as a true 27.5+ bike for winter use with 3.0-tires?

The original drafts for the Primer from about a year ago showed an ACV version with wider rear end than the 29er. Are the rear ends of the Primer S and Primer 29 now the same?

Is the tire clearance on the Primer 29 better than the old Primer? I am running 29x2.6 on my old Primer, but with very little tire clearance. Was hoping for space for a 29x2.8 winter tire as well.

Complete bikes come with 170mm cranks. Will it work ok with 175mm in high BB setting?
    The S model comes with a 2.8" rear tire. It can fit either up to a 29x2.6" or 27.5x3.0" (depending on actual tire width from manufacturer)

Primer 29 and Primer S share the same frame. The S is just a variant of the 29 with build spec and with staggered wheels.

The rear tire clearance on all of the new Primers has been updated to accept 2.6" wide tires. The previous Primer was designed to accept a 2.4" with some 2.6" working but like you mention it is very tight.

175MM cranks are fine if you're running in the higher setting, with offering the lower setting we wanted to minimize pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just a couple more points to help clarify on this bike:

- Internally routed cable guides
    - Updated thicker downtube and BB protector
    - Lower rear seat tube protector
    - Dual Rear strut for stiffer rear triangle
    - Threaded Bottom Bracket
    - JS Trail Lower Link (no longer box link) - better small bump and square edge compliance
    - Adjustable geometry with Flip chip
    - All sizes fit a water bottle
    - Lower Seat tube height and size specific dropper posts
    - ISCG Mounts

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    2020 Primer-primer-s-pro-social1.jpg
    2020 Primer-primer-275-blue_social.jpg
    2020 Primer-primer-29-elt-red-social.jpg
    2020 Primer-primer29-red-social-beauty1.jpg
    2020 Primer-primer29-red-social-beauty4.jpg
    2020 Primer-primer-s-social-beauty1.jpg2020 Primer-primer-275-blue-cs.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    https://youtu.be/cyz0AH5dDbI

Anyone know where the promo video was filmed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    https://youtu.be/cyz0AH5dDbI

Anyone know where the promo video was filmed?
    Spain

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    The S model comes with a 2.8" rear tire. It can fit either up to a 29x2.6" or 27.5x3.0" (depending on actual tire width from manufacturer)

Primer 29 and Primer S share the same frame. The S is just a variant of the 29 with build spec and with staggered wheels.

The rear tire clearance on all of the new Primers has been updated to accept 2.6" wide tires. The previous Primer was designed to accept a 2.4" with some 2.6" working but like you mention it is very tight.

175MM cranks are fine if you're running in the higher setting, with offering the lower setting we wanted to minimize pedal strikes.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Tabs for a bash and threaded BB, finally something the people want.

Why does the S have a 36 and the rest a 34 fork? Is the S a more aggressive bike than 275 and 29?

Is the recluse gone now?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by adam74 View Post
    Tabs for a bash and threaded BB, finally something the people want.

Why does the S have a 36 and the rest a 34 fork? Is the S a more aggressive bike than 275 and 29?

Is the recluse gone now?

The S model we built for a more aggressive rider.

The Recluse model will not be continued and the Primer 275 takes it's place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Canít wait to get mine!

Fingers crossed itís in the first batch! Letís hope this is a good New England bike...

Solo Bici Magazine Spain
    Oct 2005
    Ainsa, Spain

Having a nice day!
    That 27.5 would be a nice replacement for when I replace my Spider, since all parts would roll over. Time to start really sending it before the warranty expires

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Are the 29ers being speced with 51 offset forks? The geometry table states based on 51 offset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just a couple more points to help clarify on this bike:

- Internally routed cable guides
    - Updated thicker downtube and BB protector
    - Lower rear seat tube protector
    - Dual Rear strut for stiffer rear triangle
    - Threaded Bottom Bracket
    - JS Trail Lower Link (no longer box link) - better small bump and square edge compliance
    - Adjustable geometry with Flip chip
    - All sizes fit a water bottle
    - Lower Seat tube height and size specific dropper posts
    - ISCG Mounts
    This is nice, next step of evolution will be SWAT / internal storage for the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Are the 29ers being speced with 51 offset forks? The geometry table states based on 51 offset.
    29" are 51mm offset and 27.5" are 44mm offset.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M View Post
    This is nice, next step of evolution will be SWAT / internal storage for the frame?
    Stash Weed And Tools?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What does the frame with shock weigh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I thought 44mm was all the rage on the new geometry 29ers coming out (at least it was for awhile).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Need to know about that upper link mount - is the hardware really hidden? Can't find a pic of the non-drive side to see. Second the request for frame weights. Heavier than previous Primer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Check out the following website. There are several rotating images that show the non-drive side of each of the bikes. You will see that there appears to be some access to the upper link mount from that side:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/In...e-Options,2759

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Really interested in the new Primer, but how have they silenced the internal cable routing? I am one of the few (?) people that like internal routing, but that's because the TREKs I've had have had really good solutions with their control freak routing that prevents them from slapping around in the down tube.

On the pictures it seems there are just holes in the frame? I wonder if there is any way to pull the cables taut or any chance of putting getting a foam liner in there.. I need my bikes SILENT.

Also, does anyone have any info on the Intense hubs on the Expert build? POE count, manufacturer etc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RCederholm View Post
    Check out the following website. There are several rotating images that show the non-drive side of each of the bikes. You will see that there appears to be some access to the upper link mount from that side:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/In...e-Options,2759
    Oh, yeah - I see it. Great thanks. That looks fine. I'll assume they used the same collet system that's been around for a while. With the second seat stay/brace thinking the bearings in the lower link will hold up better as the forces are more even.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The S model we built for a more aggressive rider.

The Recluse model will not be continued and the Primer 275 takes it's place.

How are you guys feeling about technical climbing ability on the 27.5, with the slightly slacker seat tube angle? I'm in the PNW, and we have to climb to earn our downs... Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm real stuck on getting a primer 275 in blue and building with a 36 150mm or just getting a tracer which may be too DH oriented.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm real stuck on getting a primer 275 in blue and building with a 36 150mm or just getting a tracer which may be too DH oriented.

I know! I can't decide until I see what's up with the new Tracer! I would rather have more susp than 140/150....

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Windband View Post
    I know! I can't decide until I see what's up with the new Tracer! I would rather have more susp than 140/150....

Run a 210x55 shock in the rear with the high BB setting, it will give you around 155mm, and a 160mm fork up front. I'm planning on doing that on the Primer 29.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Run a 210x55 shock in the rear with the high BB setting, it will give you around 155mm, and a 160mm fork up front. I'm planning on doing that on the Primer 29.
    I'm not a susp engineer, would that mess up the kinematics? Interesting idea though!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    A 150 or 155 rear and 160 up front would be an ideal All Mountain bike. I was tempted to get a Rocky Instint BC edition, I like it better than yeti SB150 which seems to he a very highly rated bike.

I'd like to demo a tracer before I buy anything or wait for the 2020 tracer. Maybe the tracer will be a 155 travel bike and the Uzzi will be a new enduro 165 with 170 up front.

My current Uzzi weighs slightly more than a devenci carbon enduro but the BB is so low and suspension bob makes it not that great at enduro but seated pedalling is surprisingly good for an aluminum mini DH bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    A 150 or 155 rear and 160 up front would be an ideal All Mountain bike. I was tempted to get a Rocky Instint BC edition, I like it better than yeti SB150 which seems to he a very highly rated bike.

I'd like to demo a tracer before I buy anything or wait for the 2020 tracer. Maybe the tracer will be a 155 travel bike and the Uzzi will be a new enduro 165 with 170 up front.

My current Uzzi weighs slightly more than a devenci carbon enduro but the BB is so low and suspension bob makes it not that great at enduro but seated pedalling is surprisingly good for an aluminum mini DH bike.

I currently ride a 2015 Tracer, and recently spent over three hours on a 2019 Tracer. It was amazing!! I'm very interested in seeing what they are going to do to the 2020 model. I agree, 150-160 rear with 160mm front is an awesome All Mnt set up. That's really what I'm looking for. Not sure I want/need 170mm in the front and I'm def NOT into some of the enduro bikes now with 180mm. I'm not Sam Hill.

Having a nice day!
    I made the trip to Boise to the SWIMBA Mountain Bike Festival and checked these out at the Intense tent. That 27.5 looks really sweet! Frame definitely has bigger looking tubes than my current Spider.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not a susp engineer, would that mess up the kinematics? Interesting idea though!
    I donīt see why, the sag point will be between the high and low settings on the standard model. And 10mm more travel up front is well within normal sag preferences.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I donīt see why, the sag point will be between the high and low settings on the standard model. And 10mm more travel up front is well within normal sag preferences.
    Sounds doable! Before I go through that though, like I mentioned, I want to see what's up with the Tracer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The leverage curve is not linear so a longer shock will change the suspension, maybe it will just extrapolate the initial beginning of the curve. I'm an instrument engineer not mechanical but sensors and instruments with linkage I work on will act different with different actuators or in this case a shock. It may affect initial stroke more than ending stroke.. the small bump compliance may get more sensitive

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The leverage curve is not linear so a longer shock will change the suspension, maybe it will just extrapolate the initial beginning of the curve. I'm an instrument engineer not mechanical but sensors and instruments with linkage I work on will act different with different actuators or in this case a shock. It may affect initial stroke more than ending stroke.. the small bump compliance may get more sensitive

It's def interesting. Initial (sag) setup should be the same, since the overall eye to eye length is constant. So, I wonder if it will only affect the very end of the stroke, maybe just making it a bit more progressive, in the last few mm of travel?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's def interesting. Initial (sag) setup should be the same, since the overall eye to eye length is constant. So, I wonder if it will only affect the very end of the stroke, maybe just making it a bit more progressive, in the last few mm of travel?
    Iīm thinking that at the top of the travel, the linkages are in the same position as with the stock shock and BB in high setting, and at the end of the travel, the linkages are at the same position as stock shock and low BB.

Youīd want to run around 30% sag, which is more on a 55mm stroke shock than a 50mm one. So youīd get a softer overall suspension feel, but about the same force required to reach full travel. It should feel like the difference between a 140mm and 155mm travel bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Iīm thinking that at the top of the travel, the linkages are in the same position as with the stock shock and BB in high setting, and at the end of the travel, the linkages are at the same position as stock shock and low BB.

Youīd want to run around 30% sag, which is more on a 55mm stroke shock than a 50mm one. So youīd get a softer overall suspension feel, but about the same force required to reach full travel. It should feel like the difference between a 140mm and 155mm travel bike.
    I was thinking about sag later, and like you mention, it would be more on a 55mm. I wonder if you would NOT want to run 30%? It would be softer, like you say, and that might not be desirable... Maybe you would want to use your same air pressure, as before... I'm guessing then it would make the last 5mm pretty progressive and you would only use that last 5mm in an emergency hit. ??

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was thinking about sag later, and like you mention, it would be more on a 55mm. I wonder if you would NOT want to run 30%? It would be softer, like you say, and that might not be desirable... Maybe you would want to use your same air pressure, as before... I'm guessing then it would make the last 5mm pretty progressive and you would only use that last 5mm in an emergency hit. ??
    That's another way to do it. I'm not planning on using an air shock, so I won't get that progressive ramp up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    I thought 44mm was all the rage on the new geometry 29ers coming out (at least it was for awhile).
    It depends on manufacturer. While some companies are going with 44mm offset to make the bike more stable at speed, but less nimble when things get slow, other companies (like Intense and Guerilla Gravity) are sticking with 51mm in attempt to keep the best of both worlds.
    Kona Operator CR and Santa Cruz Megatower

mtbr member
    29" are 51mm offset and 27.5" are 44mm offset.
    Can you lobby to have the Primer 275's blue and the Primer 29's red/black paint jobs be applied to the Tracer?

I really love those color schemes.. and the Tracer's.. not so much

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffshredman View Post
    Can you lobby to have the Primer 275's blue and the Primer 29's red/black paint jobs be applied to the Tracer?

I really love those color schemes.. and the Tracer's.. not so much
    LOL. They are very sexy, but I'm sure it's way too late now. Working in the manufacturing industry, I can tell you that their frame makers have probably been working on inventory for a few months now...

mtbr member
    LOL. They are very sexy, but I'm sure it's way too late now. Working in the manufacturing industry, I can tell you that their frame makers have probably been working on inventory for a few months now...
    I can get another season out of my current Tracer .. and I'm a patient man

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffshredman View Post
    I can get another season out of my current Tracer .. and I'm a patient man
    I am excited to see what color ways they're going to use though! Who knows, maybe they will be similar to the Primers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I am excited to see what color ways they're going to use though! Who knows, maybe they will be similar to the Primers?
    I'm also excited to see what updates come. My only gripe with my 2018 Primer is lack of lower frame protection, no threaded BB, and no tabs for a bash guard. All are now on the new primer so I'm liking where intense is going.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Well! Picked mine up from the bike shop today. Came home, set it up tubeless and then threw on some mods. Maiden voyage tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple_j View Post
    Well! Picked mine up from the bike shop today. Came home, set it up tubeless and then threw on some mods. Maiden voyage tomorrow!
    We'll be expecting a full review!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I just took it for a quick spin round the hood to bed the brakes in- itís a very energetic pedaling bike- feels like the ibis ripley that I demoíd but with more squish.

Just taking about the fit....
    I feel way more on the front end than the seat angle would suggest.
    My old stump jumper ST had a 76.something STA and i feel more on the front it than on the stumpy. And way more on the front than my brothers Django. On the ripley I demoíd I felt like I was tipped over the front end, I donít feel over the front end here, I feel on it if that makes any sense.

470ish reach also feels a bit longer than number would suggest. The large feels very comfy, Iím just a tick over 6 feet tall and have an ape index of plus 2.5. I could have probably fit onto an XL but it would be more of a sled, obviously.

They did something with the geo here relative to the proportions on the bike or something. You feel on the front end without feeling like youíre way over it like you do on some of the Ibis/yeti/evil offering. I think theyíre getting a similar effect in a different way. It has similar reach and STA numbers to the old Django but feels like more of a sled than that bike due to the huge wheel base and HTA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I just took it for a quick spin round the hood to bed the brakes in- itís a very energetic pedaling bike- feels like the ibis ripley that I demoíd but with more squish.

Just taking about the fit....
    I feel way more on the front end than the seat angle would suggest.
    My old stump jumper ST had a 76.something STA and i feel more on the front it than on the stumpy. And way more on the front than my brothers Django. On the ripley I demoíd I felt like I was tipped over the front end, I donít feel over the front end here, I feel on it if that makes any sense.

470ish reach also feels a bit longer than number would suggest. The large feels very comfy, Iím just a tick over 6 feet tall and have an ape index of plus 2.5. I could have probably fit onto an XL but it would be more of a sled, obviously.

They did something with the geo here relative to the proportions on the bike or something. You feel on the front end without feeling like youíre way over it like you do on some of the Ibis/yeti/evil offering. I think theyíre getting a similar effect in a different way. It has similar reach and STA numbers to the old Django but feels like more of a sled than that bike due to the huge wheel base and HTA.
    Interesting, in a really good way! Those are good characteristics, IMO. I think this bike could really shred on the trail. Can't wait to hear your full review, after your ride. By the way, I don't think you said which one you bought!! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just wish frame price wasn't the same as Ibis and other LBS brands. For direct to consumer should be in that $2500 range....Where's my value! Loved my old spider-29 ... was thinking 2020 Primer would be the bike for me but now its hard to pass up sale pricing on Yeti SB5.5 or brand new lifetime warranty frame from Fezzari, both of which are cheaper. Also more confident in customer service from Backcountry (yeti) or Fezzari ( local to me ) -- vs. having to deal with Intense remotely. ( not to say they haven't been good - but still ... supporting a bike when everything has to go through the mail is not the same as being able to take it somewhere ) I guess I think the price should reflect that.

Sure, full bike builds are better value, but that just isn't my thing. ( yes, I'm not that smart )

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Just wish frame price wasn't the same as Ibis and other LBS brands. For direct to consumer should be in that $2500 range....Where's my value! Loved my old spider-29 ... was thinking 2020 Primer would be the bike for me but now its hard to pass up sale pricing on Yeti SB5.5 or brand new lifetime warranty frame from Fezzari, both of which are cheaper. Also more confident in customer service from Backcountry (yeti) or Fezzari ( local to me ) -- vs. having to deal with Intense remotely. ( not to say they haven't been good - but still ... supporting a bike when everything has to go through the mail is not the same as being able to take it somewhere ) I guess I think the price should reflect that.

Sure, full bike builds are better value, but that just isn't my thing. ( yes, I'm not that smart )
    Well it is what it is, as we say in the States. You really answered your own thoughts, so not much else to say. I will add that it's not really reasonable to compare the price of a brand new, latest generation frame with an old model bike that's now going on sale... I totally get wanting to take advantage of a great sale price on a good bike though. And as you've already pointed out, the full build on a new Intense is a WAY better value than any Yeti. But it's your choice, if you prefer building your own. I will add, one option is to buy a full bike, then take off and sell what you don't want. Actually, the money can work out fairly well on that path. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    True - and I confused the issue by mentioning older/sale Yeti.
    How about:
    Ibis Ripmo or Ripley 2999 / 2899 (granted, fox perf not factory )
    SC Hightower CC - $3299 (lifetime warranty + free bearings for life! )
    Evil Wreckoning 2900
    Rocky Mountain BC Instinct: 2900

Anyway...point is ... Intense is not offering much value incentive for frame only especially when you consider the direct to consumer model.

Can't fault them for wanting to make money!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Just buy a built frame and sell of the stuff you donít want, youíd probably end up way ahead

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Just buy a built frame and sell of the stuff you donít want, youíd probably end up way ahead
    Agreed. I mentioned the same thing. For those of us that prefer Shimano, we can actually make money on the deal. LOL. Selling an X01 drive train and replacing with Shimano, is profitable. ; )

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just ordered a frame. Should be here early next week. I should have most of the parts by end of next week as well. Might be waiting on wheels though. I thought about going with a full build but in the end I would only end up with a frame, headset and brakes and replacing everything else. Its not cheap either way but I dont need to be sitting on any extra parts. or spending a bunch of time selling parts online. I have plenty already sitting from previous full builds.
    Here is my build:

Frame: 2020 Intense Primer 29 - yellow
    Rear Shock: Fox Factory DPX2 / 210MM x 50MM
    Fork: Rock Shox Pike Ultimate Ė 150mm, 110mm x 15mm, Black
    Wheelset: Industry Nine Enduro Carbon, 24h, Shimano Micro-spline
    Cranks: Race Face Next G5 (Red) - 170mm
    Chainring: Race Face 30T Ė Red
    Bottom Bracket: 73MM Threaded
    Chain: Shimano XTR 12sp.
    Rear Derailer: Shimano XTR 12sp
    Shifter: Shimano XTR 12sp
    Cassette: Shimano XTR 12sp
    Brakes: Shimano XT Ė Four Pot - 180mm front/ Two pot - 180mm rear
    Pedals: Crank Bro Candy 7 Ė Red
    Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb- 31.6, 170 drop
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 / ZS44-EC49
    Handle Bars: Race Face Six C Ė 35mm clamp, 20mm rise, 800mm wide - Red
    Stem: Industry Nine/ 35mm clamp, 32mm reach Ė Red stem / black faceplate
    Seat:
    Tires:
    Grips:
    Last edited by Ridnw/bear; 09-18-2019 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnw/bear View Post
    I just ordered a frame. Should be here early next week. I should have most of the parts by end of next week as well. Might be waiting on wheels though. I thought about going with a full build but in the end I would only end up with a frame, headset and brakes and replacing everything else. Its not cheap either way but I dont need to be sitting on any extra parts. or spending a bunch of time selling parts online. I have plenty already sitting from previous full builds.
    Here is my build:

Wheelset: Industry Nine Enduro Carbon, 24h, Shimano Micro-spline
    Cranks: Race Face Next G5 (Red) - 170mm
    Chainring: Race Face 30T Ė Red
    Bottom Bracket: 83MM BSA (Threaded)
    Brakes: Shimano XT Ė Four Pot - 180mm front/ Two pot - 180mm rear
    Seat:
    Tires:
    Grips:
    Wow, almost exactly what I would've chosen! I approve this message! LOL. Glad to see I'm not the only one who isn't interested in Eagle drive trains! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After switching the drivetrain on my tazer to the new XT 12 speed stuff, I was blown away at how much better shifts are and under a ebike load. I was a die hard shimano guy for a very long time but their long time refusal to go all in on 1X drivetrains lost me. I have been on 2 different XO1 12 spd eagle drivetrains on 2 different bikes and am not impressed with the cost or durability of the cassettes. So I am back on Shimano. I have never had XTR stuff. I sold two bikes to buy this one so I thought I'd splurge a little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    If I was building a new bike up now I'd have 12 speed xtr for sure.. I have 11speed xO1 and 12 speed GX and XO1 and the eagle dont shift as well as the 11 and non are as good as my saint I had from 2012

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    After switching the drivetrain on my tazer to the new XT 12 speed stuff, I was blown away at how much better shifts are and under a ebike load. I was a die hard shimano guy for a very long time but their long time refusal to go all in on 1X drivetrains lost me. I have been on 2 different XO1 12 spd eagle drivetrains on 2 different bikes and am not impressed with the cost or durability of the cassettes. So I am back on Shimano. I have never had XTR stuff. I sold two bikes to buy this one so I thought I'd splurge a little.
    I love Shimano and have been riding an XT 1x11 for a couple of years. I love the option to use thumb or index finger, and also the ability to shift two gears on one hard push with the thumb is awesome! It's so handy when dropping in, and you need to get up in the higher gears quickly. Besides those differences at the shifter, I really hate the gear ratios on the first three gears, on the Eagle cassettes. The jumps are too big! the difference between 1st and 3rd gear is 14 teeth. That's huge. It makes it hard to find a good sweet spot climbing sometimes. And they only offer 1 cassette build. Lame. And like you said, the cost on SRAM is obscene. $380 (USD) for an X01 cass? Insane. I bet you'll love that XTR stuff! Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    If I was building a new bike up now I'd have 12 speed xtr for sure.. I have 11speed xO1 and 12 speed GX and XO1 and the eagle dont shift as well as the 11 and non are as good as my saint I had from 2012

Yeah that new XTR 12spd looks amazing. I have an XT M8000, 1x11 with a Box Two cassette and it works flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Cool-blue Rhythm

Ohhhhh she shreds boys and girls...

Set a PR on just about ever segment at one of my usual spots, and when I say PR I mean crushed my times, some by almost a minute.

Itís like a more capable ibis ripley to me based on the bikes I looked at. It wants to get air and eat rock gardens.

Climbs super well, thing just DIGS in and goes up hills like nothing Iíve ridden. I didnít feel like I was losing any energy. I also never once noticed the front end lifting on me, which my stump jumper used to do all the time.

Descending it is a little bit twitchy almost at low speeds but once you open it up itís super stable. Very easy to make line adjustments on trail. That kind twitchy feeling translates to fast steering IMO.. perfect for me because I need to dodge granite all the time.

The only thing I would say it didnít love was pounding down flat fire roads...

I got about 5 miles until I ran over a screw and it ended my day... went in the tread out the side wall ad took the rim tape with it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Ohhhhh she shreds boys and girls...

Set a PR on just about ever segment at one of my usual spots, and when I say PR I mean crushed my times, some by almost a minute.

Itís like a more capable ibis ripley to me based on the bikes I looked at. It wants to get air and eat rock gardens.

Climbs super well, thing just DIGS in and goes up hills like nothing Iíve ridden. I didnít feel like I was losing any energy. I also never once noticed the front end lifting on me, which my stump jumper used to do all the time.

Descending it is a little bit twitchy almost at low speeds but once you open it up itís super stable. Very easy to make line adjustments on trail. That kind twitchy feeling translates to fast steering IMO.. perfect for me because I need to dodge granite all the time.

The only thing I would say it didnít love was pounding down flat fire roads...

I got about 5 miles until I ran over a screw and it ended my day... went in the tread out the side wall ad took the rim tape with it....
    Sounds great!! Please post more thoughts, as you spend time on it. Sorry about the flat. Hey I didn't see where you said which bike you got. Which Primer??

mtbr member
    I kind of assumed the geo would be amazing. Glad to hear!! I really want this bike but its going to have to wait!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Do people even still ride 27.5 wheels anymore?

I have the 29er in look at me yellow. I canít upload pics from mobile

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Okay don't spoil it by being an ass! Deciding on wheel size depends on a number of factors! And both sizes have their pros and cons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

I'd way rather 27.5, I like them more for trails with jumps and wooden features.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    True - and I confused the issue by mentioning older/sale Yeti.
    How about:
    Ibis Ripmo or Ripley 2999 / 2899 (granted, fox perf not factory )
    SC Hightower CC - $3299 (lifetime warranty + free bearings for life! )
    Evil Wreckoning 2900
    Rocky Mountain BC Instinct: 2900

Anyway...point is ... Intense is not offering much value incentive for frame only especially when you consider the direct to consumer model.

Can't fault them for wanting to make money!
    Just want to point out that in the USA and Canada INTENSE has a hybrid sales model. Offering sales both through local INTENSE dealers and Direct through website. This offers riders a choice of purchase and support through their local dealer or directly through INTENSE.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    zing! point taken. i can still bitch, right? that's why they invented the internet. $2500 would still have been cooler

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    zing! point taken. i can still bitch, right? that's why they invented the internet. $2500 would still have been cooler
    Wasn't a dig at your comment I just wanted to make sure people know that they can still purchase and get support for INTENSE from their local INTENSE dealer. We are working hard to provide riders the opportunity to interact and have an INTENSE experience the way they want. It's not a strategy of how we can make more money, it's about giving riders more options for how they can shop and interact with the brand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anybody ridden the 275 and can compare to the Spider 275C. Same fun, rocketship feel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I really want to like the new Primers. Hoping to test ride them soon. But here are some thoughts:

Looks like Intense has changed Primerís geometry numbers on their website. They are quite different from the initial release. Personally, I like the new numbers better because they are slightly longer, but I donít trust them. How can Primer S and 29er have the same reach numbers considering axle-to-crown and wheel sizes differ while the frame remains the same?

Primer S Pro pictures on Intenseí website are also showing FOX 36 fork with GRIP2 damper, but the bike reviewed by MTBR showed FIT4. Iíve chatted with Intense about it on their website and got two different answersÖ

Also whatís with mismatched frame and decal colors?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Only thing I saw different was the reach, and I think the factory36 only comes in grip2 now.

And boys relax I was just ribbing you about 27.5, my last bike was 27.5

Okay Iíve put about 20 miles on it now, and spent a day riding lift serviced downhill.

What I like:
    The bikes a great pedaling bike, itís agile, the suspension is great and gives you a real ďforwardĒ springing sensation when you dig in on the pedals. Itís sensitive enough but doesnít wallow around in the travel. Itís also super progressive. It likes to pop and dance around the trail and steers quick, but when it gets rowdy the suspension has your bike. The long wheel base feels super stable once you get up to speed and the bike likes to roll fast. I have not once wished the seat angle was any steeper and the reach is still comfortable to me. I actually like the longer chain-stay because I donít get the sensation Iím going to buzz my butt with the 29 wheel. In ďlowerĒ mode the bike just plows over stuff but Iíd only use that if I didnít have to pedal up. When riding park I also noticed itís a pretty quiet bike- I didnít notice any chain slap all I could hear was my tires on the dirt and the e13 hub (thing is LOUD). Did I mention it rolls fast?

Things I donít like:

Quick steering can make the bike a bit twitchy at very low speeds, and you need to weight the front a bit more than youíd expect to keep the tire tracking straight in some very slow speed situations. The bike feels more nimble than the big wheelbase which is good, until you forget you have that huge wheelbase out behind you. I feel 30% sag might be a bit much, as I never really bottomed my sus out even on a 4-5 foot drop-unless the bottom of a 50mm dpx2 is not actually the bottom (it could be) and Iím about 185-190 with all my gear on. Oh and every now and then you get a little VPP hang up at low speed on power. Not often, not as often as my buddyís last gen Bronson did, but it still happens here and there, so itís worth noting

Overall, this bike is awesome, Iím very very happy with it. Itís like a super capable Ibis Ripley with more squish (never ridden a ripmo). Iíve been setting PRs on Strava by huge margins with it and find it to be a bike thatís just as fun as it is fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rk47 View Post
    I really want to like the new Primers. Hoping to test ride them soon. But here are some thoughts:

Looks like Intense has changed Primerís geometry numbers on their website. They are quite different from the initial release. Personally, I like the new numbers better because they are slightly longer, but I donít trust them. How can Primer S and 29er have the same reach numbers considering axle-to-crown and wheel sizes differ while the frame remains the same?

Primer S Pro pictures on Intenseí website are also showing FOX 36 fork with GRIP2 damper, but the bike reviewed by MTBR showed FIT4. Iíve chatted with Intense about it on their website and got two different answersÖ

Also whatís with mismatched frame and decal colors?
    In a hurry, so super quick response here... The frames are the same, so they will have the same reach. Reach is bottom bracket to top of head tube. The "S" has a 160mm fork, not a 150. Axle to crown will be longer. The 29er and 27.5 have a Fox 34, they only come in FIT4. The S has the Fox 36, so it has GRIP2. Don't know what you mean about mismatched decals... Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    In a hurry, so super quick response here... The frames are the same, so they will have the same reach.
    No, they won't. The taller fork and smaller wheel at the back will shorten the reach. It's actually reflected in the old geo numbers and Intense has confirmed it.

The "S" has a 160mm fork, not a 150.
    That's awesome if it's true, but the Intense website, MTBR, Jenson (or any other publication really) all listing 150mm 36 as of now.

https://intensecycles.com/collection...er-s-pro-build
    https://reviews.mtbr.com/2020-intens...st-ride-review
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Intense-Pr...-Pro-Bike-2020

Don't know what you mean about mismatched decals...
    This is more of a personal preference, but let me explain since a lot of other people feel the same way. If you have a look at the red Primer 29er, it has a matching fork, shock, and wheel decals and a matching color seat. Then you look at the yellow one at it has exactly the same color decals and seat as the red primer, but with yellow frame. The same goes for the Primer S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Primer-screen-shot-2019-08-19-5.12.05-pm.jpg  

2020 Primer-screen-shot-2019-08-19-5.13.44-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rk47 View Post
    No, they won't. The taller fork and smaller wheel at the back will shorten the reach. It's actually reflected in the old geo numbers and Intense has confirmed it.

That's awesome if it's true, but the Intense website, MTBR, Jenson (or any other publication really) all listing 150mm 36 as of now.

This is more of a personal preference, but let me explain since a lot of other people feel the same way. If you have a look at the red Primer 29er, it has a matching fork, shock, and wheel decals and a matching color seat. Then you look at the yellow one at it has exactly the same color decals and seat as the red primer, but with yellow frame. The same goes for the Primer S.
    Thanks for catching all that! Like I mentioned I was running out the door. You're right about the Fox 36, it is the same, a 150mm!
    This is all very interesting, in a tech nerd kind of way. I'm seeing some discrepancy though. If we look at the Primer 29, in high setting and Primer S, in high setting, they both have the same reach of 475. It doesn't appear that a smaller back wheel affects reach. If the fork was taller on the 'S', then maybe that would change reach...?
    RE: Decals etc. My guess is it's just a cost savings to use all the same on all the bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    All primer models have a 150mm fork. The 'S' model does have a 36 chassis but not a longer stroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    All primer models have a 150mm fork. The 'S' model does have a 36 chassis but not a longer stroke.
    Be sweet if the other bikes had a 36 option. It feel for the primer 275 to replace the recluse as an all mountain or tweener bike it should have a 36 that can handle more technical trails and descents.

If I were to replace my primer now I'd have a 275 with a 36 up front and keep my Uzzi for days I wanna go full send. My current primer is a great trail bike but I have a big gap between it and my Uzzi. The tracer may not be efficient enough to replace my primer but could probably nearly replace my Uzzi.

My buddy just picked up a new Rocky Instinct BC edition which is thier trail bike bumped up to 150 rear and 160 36 up front and it pedals nearly as good as a trail 130/140 and jumps/decends like an enduro.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I recently noticed the different geo numbers as well. Kinda odd, since the initial reviews mentioned how intense had bucked the trend of super long reach numbers. The numbers on Intense's website are right in line with the new longer bikes (470mm reach on a large).

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    is this a Shimano style launch or an Ibis style launch? are these bikes in the wild yet? I already saw a new Spesh Enduro...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Yes i got mine September 5th.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have mine. Frame only. Almost done with the build. Waiting on wheels, r. derailer, stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    lets see some pics!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    She isn't ready to be photographed. She needs a little time to come out of her shell.
    Waiting on the final touches to a pretty fun build. Then I will share some pics. I have a couple rides on her with some placeholder parts. The 24mm wide rims are not worthy so its hard to get a true feel for the bike. I will say that @ 6'2.5" tall, I am right in between sizes. The original XL Primer fit me better but maybe I will "grow" into this one. It is long but I don't feel too stretched out but wouldn't mind if it was shorter. I have a 35mm stem on now and waiting on a 32mm. The original Primer after doing some mods to it with the Recluse link and Fox coil was a great bike and one that I thought would be hard to beat. Overall, I am impressed with all of the refinements, added frame protection and long, low and slack geo. Once I get some real wheels under me, I will write a better review.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    siickk.

try some higher sweep bars maybe. will bring you back another 10-15mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    is this a Shimano style launch or an Ibis style launch? are these bikes in the wild yet? I already saw a new Spesh Enduro...
    Ibis style... They are all out of stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryknown View Post
    Ibis style... They are all out of stock.
    I inquired about Primer S availability. I was told late October for bare frames and the pro build. Late November for the Expert build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    lol tru

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Everyone must be to busy out enjoying their new bikes to be posting any photos, comments...

...sorry to have bumped this thread with nothing really to share.

I'm looking forward to seeing your setups and feedback on how you like the new Primers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I will have the final build done tonight. Wheels and stem arrive today. So stoked!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ryknown View Post
    Everyone must be to busy out enjoying their new bikes to be posting any photos, comments...

...sorry to have bumped this thread with nothing really to share.

I'm looking forward to seeing your setups and feedback on how you like the new Primers.
    I keep hoping to see some actual reviews from some of the larger publications on YouTube but the only videos I see are the couple of initial release videos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    they're too busy reviewing mopeds

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I usually have a hard time trusting some of the larger publishers as they are paid to review so they may skimp some flaws or downplay them to keep getting paid

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    yea, they're getting pretty bad. no nuance and they don't do any shock tuning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    If you guys are on Facebook I would recommend joining the INTENE owners group. There have been quite a few customer reviews on the new Primer on this group.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    If you guys are on Facebook I would recommend joining the INTENE owners group. There have been quite a few customer reviews on the new Primer on this group.
    +1 on that! I'm in that group and the people are friendly, and a good resource on Intense gear!

On an unrelated note; Nukeproof dropped their enduro bikes today and the Factory build has a beautiful Shimano XT group set. Now they have a trail and enduro bike with full XT. Come on Intense, I'm over SRAM!
    MAKE SHIMANO GREAT AGAIN!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    +1 on that! I'm in that group and the people are friendly, and a good resource on Intense gear!

On an unrelated note; Nukeproof dropped their enduro bikes today and the Factory build has a beautiful Shimano XT group set. Now they have a trail and enduro bike with full XT. Come on Intense, I'm over SRAM!
    MAKE SHIMANO GREAT AGAIN!
    Shimano was always my go to when I raced DH, I broke my leg in 2012 and was out of biking a few years and then I get back in and everything was 11spd sram then 12 speed eagle, 26" wheel was nearly extinct.

From everyone I've talked to with the new 12 speed shimano loves the hyperglide shifting and dual up/down shifting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A little background about me before I get into the review of the current Primer.
    I bought a 2016 Primer Pro build and then proceeded to upgrade all of the parts other than the drive train. This time around I decided to purchase a frame only and build the new Primer the way I really want it from the start. My original Primer was upgraded with 24 hole Industry Nine Enduro Carbon wheels, Recluse upper link(140mm), Fox DHX2 SLS spring rear shock, RS Pike(140mm) and Shimano XT brakes. This made the Primer a much more capable bike while staying a very efficient climber. I have absolutely loved the original Primer. After all of these upgrades, I was skeptical that the new Primer would be able to match what I had created with the original.
    A little history about me as a long-time MTBer; I have been riding MTB since 1988. I have owned 15 different bikes from Intense. I have purchased 90% of them without a demo or without seeing one in person. I have developed a good trust in the designs that have come from Intense. This time around, I was mostly concerned with the half-baked geo numbers listed when the Primer launched a little over a month ago. At 6í2Ē tall, I was scared to go with the XL. It seemed really long as compared to the original XL Primer. I decided to go with the XL anyway and glad I did.

Here is my build:
    Wheelset: Industry Nine Enduro Carbon 310C, 24h, Shimano Micro-spline
    Cranks: Race Face Next SL - 170mm
    Chainring: Wolftooth CAMO spider/ Wolftooth CAMO 30T ring
    Bottom Bracket: 73MM Threaded Raceface BB
    Brakes: Shimano XT Ė Four Pot - 180mm rotors
    Seat: Ergon SM3/ Ti rails
    Tires: Front Maxxis Assegai EXO 2.5/ Rear Maxxis Aggressor EXO 2.5
    Grips: Ergon GA2 Fat Grips

The first thing I noticed getting on the bike is how low, long and slack it is compared to the original. Does this translate to a slow turning pig or will this bike be as nimble and playful as the original? Then I started pedalingÖ It pedals just as efficiently as the original but with a better planted feel. The original, especially when setup at 130mm travel was a fast off the line bike that has a very snappy feel when cornering and changing direction. The new Primer has all of the same qualities but the new rear suspension configuration is a big improvement over the short box link rear end of the original. The new trail link suspension rides more in the mid-stroke which makes small bump performance better overall while at the same time keeping the same playful, poppy feel of the older Primer. The slacker geo and longer wheelbase makes for a very stable ride at higher speeds which encourages you to give it more gas. This is where the 4 piston XT brakes absolutely shine. The new 4 pot brakes provides much more modulation than the 2 pots as well as loads more power.
    I have had the frame for three weeks now without the intended wheels. I had the original DT Swiss wheels from my original Primer which have a 22mm internal width. I only had some old 2.2 nobby nic tires to use but I couldnít stare at a half built bike any longer. I mounted the inadequate wheels and tire and took the Primer out for a spin. I found myself going way faster than the wheel/ tire combo could handle and found the ride to be super sketchy. So I decided to take the mullet wheelset off of my Tazer and mount them up on the Primer. Mounted with the heavy wheels and tires, I found this setup to be a invitation to get too rowdy. The wheels specifically built for EMTBs so they made me feel like I could smash anything. I liked the feel of the fat rear tire for descending but the bike was a pig for climbing.

I took my first ride on the bike with all of the intended parts yesterday. It is everything I had hoped it would be. Final weight was 30.1 lbs. Heavier than I had hoped, but rides like it weighs more like 26-27 lbs. It is very playful and poppy but still very efficient when on the gas. I rode one fast jump line and found the Primer to feel very balanced in the air but enjoyed the landings even more. It lands without any bouncing off line. Just hits the grounds and sticks to the line it was on. Very confidence inspiring. I am very happy with this bike.

I will post a more complete review after getting some more miles on it. I noticed that this thread is getting a little antsy about some real world reviews so I thought I better report back. Iíll post some pics when I can. It was getting pretty dark last night and didnít take the time to snap any pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

I will post a more complete review after getting some more miles on it. I noticed that this thread is getting a little antsy about some real world reviews so I thought I better report back. Iíll post some pics when I can. It was getting pretty dark last night and didnít take the time to snap any pics.
    Thanks for the review mate! Very good news and it's inline with what I've heard from others, who have ridden the new bike. Intense is kicking ass right now on it's designs and suspension!! Congrats on the bike, and also on the top shelf build kit! Good for you $$$. I'd sure like to hear from someone who buys the 27.5! Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ride #2.... Fast flowing singletrack with lots of slightly banked turns that can be ridden fast while pedaling most of the time. So you end up hammering most of the ride. This is where the original primer shined as well as the Spider 275C/ Recluse. Both bikes were easy to hold speed in turns
    and easy acceleration out of them. One place the Gen 1 Primer was not as good was on small bumps that add up when going fast while pedaling. The trail today has a fair amount of horse traffic on it so it creates these divots that I didn't know until today was actually holding me up. Today, I felt like I was floating across these bumps and was able to hold more speed that over longer stretches really added up to less fatigue and the ability to take corners with more speed. This is a definite improvement over the original.
    There are a few things that I forgot to mention about things I noticed while building the bike. Overall the finish, paint, decals is on point as I have always expected. I really like that they have moved to the threaded BB. Like the Tracer T275C that had guide tubes built in for the internal cable routing, the new primer has upped its game here as well. The guide tube for the dropper post is well thought out. This makes for a very quiet ride. The new I9 Hydra hubs are a new kind of buzz that is a good reminder to keep pedaling so that you can enjoy the silence.
    Overall, there are some real improvements over my favorite all time trail bike. The new Primer has become more DH friendly without any real XC compromise. What's not to like about that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Primer-img_1138.jpg  

2020 Primer-img_1144.jpg  

2020 Primer-img_1139.jpg  

2020 Primer-img_1140.jpg  

2020 Primer-img_1134.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    nice review and awesome pics. bike looks great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ride #2.... Fast flowing singletrack with lots of slightly banked turns that can be ridden fast while pedaling most of the time. So you end up hammering most of the ride. This is where the original primer shined as well as the Spider 275C/ Recluse. Both bikes were easy to hold speed in turns
    and easy acceleration out of them. One place the Gen 1 Primer was not as good was on small bumps that add up when going fast while pedaling. The trail today has a fair amount of horse traffic on it so it creates these divots that I didn't know until today was actually holding me up. Today, I felt like I was floating across these bumps and was able to hold more speed that over longer stretches really added up to less fatigue and the ability to take corners with more speed. This is a definite improvement over the original.
    There are a few things that I forgot to mention about things I noticed while building the bike. Overall the finish, paint, decals is on point as I have always expected. I really like that they have moved to the threaded BB. Like the Tracer T275C that had guide tubes built in for the internal cable routing, the new primer has upped its game here as well. The guide tube for the dropper post is well thought out. This makes for a very quiet ride. The new I9 Hydra hubs are a new kind of buzz that is a good reminder to keep pedaling so that you can enjoy the silence.
    Overall, there are some real improvements over my favorite all time trail bike. The new Primer has become more DH friendly without any real XC compromise. What's not to like about that?
    Sounds like you have some time on the Spider 275C, can you compare the new Primer to that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had a Spider 275C that I rode for a while as stock. I then changed to the Recluse upper link and a longer rear shock. The new Primer has a more supple feel to the rear suspension. The Spider 275C is a spunky, agile bike but definitely had it's limitations. The Primer feels more plush with better small bump absorption. The Primer also feels like it has more than 140mm travel where the Spider felt like the travel was limited. Beyond suspension the Primer feels longer, slacker and lower thus making it corner better at speed and descend with more confidence. This is all done without any real negatives in climbing. If anything it feels like the Primer stays planted better for better climbing. I'd also give the same comparison to the original Primer. The new Primer is exactly what I was looking for. The Carbine is too much bike for my needs but the first gen Primer wasn't quite enough. Intense has created a great all- around ride that will be a big hit for them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I had a Spider 275C that I rode for a while as stock. I then changed to the Recluse upper link and a longer rear shock. The new Primer has a more supple feel to the rear suspension. The Spider 275C is a spunky, agile bike but definitely had it's limitations. The Primer feels more plush with better small bump absorption. The Primer also feels like it has more than 140mm travel where the Spider felt like the travel was limited. Beyond suspension the Primer feels longer, slacker and lower thus making it corner better at speed and descend with more confidence. This is all done without any real negatives in climbing. If anything it feels like the Primer stays planted better for better climbing. I'd also give the same comparison to the original Primer. The new Primer is exactly what I was looking for. The Carbine is too much bike for my needs but the first gen Primer wasn't quite enough. Intense has created a great all- around ride that will be a big hit for them.
    Great info and great review . That's helpful. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I was on the fence about a primer and a recluse, but in the end I chose the primer for the fox factory suspension. The new one would probably have been exactly what I needed. O well now I have a primer and a tracer

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great feedback, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I donít always agree with the assessments, but hereís the info fwiw:Intense Primer 29'' 2020 - Linkage Design

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    I donít always agree with the assessments, but hereís the info fwiw:Intense Primer 29'' 2020 - Linkage Design

Thanks for posting. I love that guy's website! His analysis seems pretty inline with what riders are saying online, about how the bike is riding. I'm sure someone will put a coil on one, at some point...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    doesnt appear the leverage curve has changed much. still traditional VPP, just with a bit more leverage. not a SC fanboy, but hightowers gonna eat its lunch.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for posting. I love that guy's website! His analysis seems pretty inline with what riders are saying online, about how the bike is riding. I'm sure someone will put a coil on one, at some point...
    I'm not even going to ride it with the air shock. Probably going to try a CCDB Coil Inline first, and then send a Marzocchi Bomber CR to Avalanche for custom tuning. Hoping a 210x55 will fit with no bottoming, should give a hair above 150mm travel to go with my coil'ed 36 160mm.. I'm running both those shocks on my 2017 Primer now, with 200x57 stroke instead of 200x50, giving me almost 150mm travel in the rear.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    doesnt appear the leverage curve has changed much. still traditional VPP, just with a bit more leverage. not a SC fanboy, but hightowers gonna eat its lunch.

For general trail riding with lots of deep roots as well as steep technical climbs, I love how traditional VPP works. My 2014 Tracer and 2017 Primer (and even my Sniper Trail) glide through deep roots in a way my 2017 Tracer never could. And they are snappier when you only have a one pedal stroke worth of traction when climbing slimy rocks. But the 2017 Tracer came to life when going really fast downhill, it lived for that. I am actually glad to see the 2020 keep some of what I love with my 2017 Primer.

mtbr member
    Eh, I really dont think it will. I would be very interested to hear why you think so though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    old primer was a bit harsh off the top, then wallowed a bit, and then progressed too much at the end. i'm splitting hairs, it's still a great bike, but it seems the market has moved on from this type of spring curve. the ripmo is inverted, and most others are going linear-progressive.

mtbr member
    old primer was a bit harsh off the top, then wallowed a bit, and then progressed too much at the end. i'm splitting hairs, it's still a great bike, but it seems the market has moved on from this type of spring curve. the ripmo is inverted, and most others are going linear-progressive.
    It actually is more or less linear-progressive. Look at the graph and think about the sag point. This curve may as well be considered a linear-progressive curve.

I would be willing to bet money that this thing will suck up small chatter much much better than the old primer. Its still got plenty of AS so its going to pedal well also.

Its only regressive for about 25mm of wheel travel. Which equates to about 20% sag. Most will run more than that I'm sure. The old primer was nearly double that.

Just my opinion of course. I've never ridden either of them. I know how the Recluse behaves though and would love to have this curve on that bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    With the new lower link design the axle path can go rearward before going up. This allows for the rear wheel to travel over rocks and roots much smoother and not get hung-up. This was one of the only things I did not like about the previous box lower link.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    It actually is more or less linear-progressive. Look at the graph and think about the sag point. This curve may as well be considered a linear-progressive curve.

I would be willing to bet money that this thing will suck up small chatter much much better than the old primer. Its still got plenty of AS so its going to pedal well also.

Its only regressive for about 25mm of wheel travel. Which equates to about 20% sag. Most will run more than that I'm sure. The old primer was nearly double that.

Just my opinion of course. I've never ridden either of them. I know how the Recluse behaves though and would love to have this curve on that bike!
    I agree; wish my Spider275 had that link and curve. Much better than all of the earlier models. I like the lower link pivot position too.

mtbr member
    With the new lower link design the axle path can go rearward before going up. This allows for the rear wheel to travel over rocks and roots much smoother and not get hung-up. This was one of the only things I did not like about the previous box lower link.
    Boom!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Boom!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    yeah, the lower link length and angle between the two pivot points tell the tale ...

https://p.vitalmtb.com/uploads/2134/Primer29.gif

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That sounds great. I am on the old Primer and this improvement sounds great. The new Primer is too much for the trails I ride but awaiting the Sniper Trail and hope it also Will have improved small bump sensitivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    That sounds great. I am on the old Primer and this improvement sounds great. The new Primer is too much for the trails I ride but awaiting the Sniper Trail and hope it also Will have improved small bump sensitivity.

The Sniper uses the same style of link as the Primer and the Tracer/Carbine but is optimized for the travel and segment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I thought this was the original idea of the VPP design

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Anyone have a chance to weigh a frame yet? Curious to see what the new Primer frame comes in at. I know someone asked this question earlier in this thread, but I never saw an answer.

Also, just to confirm, it seems that the 2020 Primer 29 and Primer S are the same frame. Is that correct? If so, would be kind of cool to have a 29" and a 27.5" rear wheel and just swap them out depending on riding conditions and desired feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by propulsionclimbing View Post
    Anyone have a chance to weigh a frame yet? Curious to see what the new Primer frame comes in at. I know someone asked this question earlier in this thread, but I never saw an answer.

Also, just to confirm, it seems that the 2020 Primer 29 and Primer S are the same frame. Is that correct? If so, would be kind of cool to have a 29" and a 27.5" rear wheel and just swap them out depending on riding conditions and desired feel.
    Yes, the 29 and "S" share the same frame. And you can swap out back wheels, when you want to.
    I'm only seeing 'build' weights on the US website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Yes, the 29 and "S" share the same frame. And you can swap out back wheels, when you want to.
    I'm only seeing 'build' weights on the US website.
    That's bassically genius!!

I'd swing for the Primer S in that case if I were buying a complete to at least get the 36 up front. It could really be the 1 quiver bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey does anyone have a comparison of the new primer 29 to a pivot switchblade (current ride) or a yeti SB130 (on short list with primer)?? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Custom Build Primer

Just finished my custom build Primer.

I've been really excited about getting this bike since my first ride on it. Having spent a lot of time on the previous gen Primer, I'm happy with the updates made to the suspension design and kinematics.

This bike is going to be my all-around workhorse. It will be my bike for trail rides as well as local enduro races.

After waiting a couple months my Primer S frame came in and I was able to start building.

Details-
    Frame: Primer S Frame Size Medium
    Shock: Fox Factory Float DPX2 140mm
    Fork: Fox Factory 36 / 160mm (I have a 150mm airshaft to change out but I wanted to try it at 160mm for a couple rides to see)
    Headset: Chris King Inset 3
    Bottom Bracket: SRAM Threaded GXP
    Drivetrain: SRAM X01/GX mix
    Wheelset: Enve M7 Wheels with Chris King ISO Matte Jet Hubs
    Dropper: Rockshocks Reverb
    Handlebars: Enve RSR 760mm
    Stem: Enve M6 31.8mm / 40mm
    Brakes: Shimano SLX / Shimano XT 180mm rotors F&R 6-bolt (These will be upgraded after Santa brings XTR for Christmas)
    Saddle: Fabric Line Wide Elite
    Tires: 29x2.5 Maxxis Assegai Front / 29x2.35 Maxxis Aggressor Rear

Ready for it's maiden voyage into some hero dirt this week!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Primer-img_8151.jpg  

2020 Primer-img_8155.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Great looking bike! I'm excited to hear how you like it. Haven't seen a whole lot of rider feedback on the bike so far.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Almost 3 months since a post in here, are people riding this bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    There havent been a lot of posts on the entire Intense forum this winter. Yes, I have one in the 29" format. I love it. I really like to changes that were made. Its a better overall bike especially on the dh end of the spectrum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cblesius View Post
    I, personally, find myself spending much less time in this forum and more time posting in the Facebook site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IntenseBikeOwners

Have the previous Primer version and still loving it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cblesius View Post
    I don't know about others but I have been having a really hard time accessing these forums. I keep getting a time out or it goes to a website disconnect page and a couple times I have been redirected to spam websites. I think it's time for the forum section to get a re-vamp or theme update for security.

I've been putting in a lot of time on my Primer and have been loving it. I was feeling really good on the bike and putting in more time on it for local Enduros and then broke my collar bone two weekends ago pre-riding and have been off the bike since. The previous Primer was my all-time favorite bike and one that really got me serious about riding more. The new Primer is a great progression of that bike and fills the gap between the Sniper/Sniper T and the Carbine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    2020 Primer-img_8893.jpg
    2020 Primer-img_8895.jpg
    2020 Primer-img_8897.jpg
    2020 Primer-img_8901.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8893.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	1314715

Name:	IMG_8895.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	500.2 KB 
ID:	1314717

Name:	IMG_8897.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	475.1 KB 
ID:	1314719

Name:	IMG_8901.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	1314721
    How is the rear tire clearance on the new Primer? Iím riding a 2017 Primer and the rear tire clearance is really tight with a 2.3 Aggressor on a I9 Enduro 305 wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    2020 Primer-20200321_065614.jpg2020 Primer-20200321_065609.jpg2020 Primer-20200321_065543.jpg

First ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Olie12 View Post

Name:	20200321_065614.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	1318923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200321_065609.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	385.7 KB 
ID:	1318925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200321_065543.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	1318927

First ride this weekend.
    Love the blue 275 Primer Pro... so much want to compliment my Tracer Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    How did you like it mate?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It's exactly what I was looking for. Just sold my ibis hd4 frame to build this up. Alot more playful, pedals extremely well and doesn't lose to much on the downhill. So far it fits my riding style alot better than the hd4 did. Only complaint so far is a little bit of cable rattle in the rough stuff

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Olie12 View Post
    It's exactly what I was looking for. Just sold my ibis hd4 frame to build this up. Alot more playful, pedals extremely well and doesn't lose to much on the downhill. So far it fits my riding style alot better than the hd4 did. Only complaint so far is a little bit of cable rattle in the rough stuff
    That sounds great! Glad it's a good fit for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    How is the rear tire clearance on the new Primer? Iím riding a 2017 Primer and the rear tire clearance is really tight with a 2.3 Aggressor on a I9 Enduro 305 wheel.
    The new Primers were designed to accept up to a 2.6" rear tire. I'm running a 2.3 Aggressor with plenty of room.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Iím really struggling to find many reviews on the new primer. Iím looking to upgrade from my spider 275c. My local trails have a lot of climbing with pretty gnarly descents, so Iím looking for a bike that will be better on the descents but not lose too much on the climbs. The spider climbs incredible well but Iím constantly a bit under biked on the descents although the spider is pretty capable. The ibis ripmo and the new transition sentinel are on my short list of bikes that Iím looking at. Is it possible to go to a longer travel shock on the primer? Iím sure taking the fork to 160mm would really help boost its descending capabilities?

Thicc Member
    tmac, why not get a Tracer if you want that much travel?

I also emailed Intense a while back about their lack of information on the Primer web page. They said they'd weigh a frame and put it up there, so far nothing though.

Having a nice day!
    It is super easy and relatively inexpensive to swap to the Recluse link on your Spider and get some more travel and pick up a 160 fork to finish things off. I say relative to a new $3K frame
    Last edited by LoneStar; 05-28-2020 at 06:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    tmac, why not get a Tracer if you want that much travel?

I also emailed Intense a while back about their lack of information on the Primer web page. They said they'd weigh a frame and put it up there, so far nothing though.
    I have the original Primer and had the Tracer. The Tracer would be MUCH better going down but gives up a ton to the Primer going up. The Tracer might be my favorite bike ever going down but the Primer is definitely the most versatile bike I've ever owned....so far. The newest Primer version I'm sure is even better than my V1 2017 model.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tmac219 View Post
    Iím really struggling to find many reviews on the new primer. Iím looking to upgrade from my spider 275c. My local trails have a lot of climbing with pretty gnarly descents, so Iím looking for a bike that will be better on the descents but not lose too much on the climbs. The spider climbs incredible well but Iím constantly a bit under biked on the descents although the spider is pretty capable. The ibis ripmo and the new transition sentinel are on my short list of bikes that Iím looking at. Is it possible to go to a longer travel shock on the primer? Iím sure taking the fork to 160mm would really help boost its descending capabilities?
    Lot of good feedback and real customer reviews on the Primer here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IntenseBikeOwners/

I don't think you'd really be under gunned with the 140mm rear travel on the Primer, especially with a reservoir style shock like the DPX. I have a 2020 Primer S frame that I built up with a Fox Factory 36 Fork with 160mm travel and I went 29" front and rear. I can ride this bike everywhere I ride my Carbine but the pedal efficiency and Seat Tube angle on the Primer is much better.

Thicc Member
    Finally got a weight on a 27.5. Size L with upper and lower headset cups, seatpost binder, and axle: 2840g. No shock, bb, or anything else.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Somebody got a new bike. Ordered on Friday at 2pm. It shipped the same day and it arrived on Monday. I got to the build on Tuesday and was on the trails late that day.

2020 Pro Build Primer, Large. Iím 6í tall by the way.

Fits perfect, amazing ride.

2020 Primer-74bdb878-2ab3-4118-b632-ac660f9b4580.jpg

2020 Primer-52dc72f0-7275-4063-84df-17c2f06b7778.jpg

As most of you know, Intense makes this whole process super easy. Many how to videos on their site and also very helpful on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Thicc Member
    Looks good.

After reviewing and comparing the kinematics of the hightower and primer, I'm convinced that the poor review by Mountain Bike Rider (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsJB1BK2m6Y) is due to the shock tune and the fact they left the .88 spacer in the DPX2.
    Last edited by TylerVernon; 06-12-2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: adding words

Thanks ^

Anybody know of a company that sells helicopter frame protection tape as a kit to fit the Primer frame? Or does one have to buy a roll and cut to fit?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thanks ^

Anybody know of a company that sells helicopter frame protection tape as a kit to fit the Primer frame? Or does one have to buy a roll and cut to fit?
    To answer my own question 3 weeks later. Apparently nobody posts in this forum anymore.

Ride Wraps makes a kit for most frames. They havenít made one for the 2020 Primer frame yet.

Invisaframe does and I ordered a kit, waiting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I figured the bike pages would be very alive. Here in Canada bike sales are becoming record sales. My local shop sells Rocky, Trek and specialized and can get bikes from the factory fast enough.

I was looking to get a cruiser for around home with the kids and not wear out my good intense bikes, plus a cruiser is more relaxed. Electra bikes are a 3 month wait now.

Anybody with a 2020 Primer Pro Build in here? Iíd like to pick your brain on something.

Thicc Member
    I'm doing a custom build with a 27.5 frame.

I accidentally ordered the 210x55 intead of 210x50 shock. On the high chip setting, at bottom out the lower link just barely touches the thick rubber frame protection on the seat tube. That gives it 154mm of travel in the back. I won't go anywhere near that amount on the trails around here and I'll shorten the stroke when Manitou gets me the stuff I ordered.

One thing I noticed is that a 29er wheel with 2.3 tire fits just fine. I think a 2.4 with big knobs would be too much.

Running this as a 29 is an option I think, perhaps 140/140.

mtbr member
    I put my 29er xc wheels with 2.35 forecasters and they cleared on the rear with suspension compressed. They did not fit the fork though, they touched the crown.

The wheels were just sitting there and i was curious. But then started pricing out 29er forks and making spreadsheets of axle to crown measurements.

But i love this bike at 275. It does not need to change. If i am feeling racy then i can ride the Sniper instead.

Evolution Training Cycles

Thicc Member
    Went for a pretty hard ride today. The Mcleod with standard air can seems to work just fine, but I have a King can on order to experiment with. I like this bike.

Went for a pretty hard ride today. The Mcleod with standard air can seems to work just fine, but I have a King can on order to experiment with. I like this bike.
    ďMcleodĒ?

I ordered a frame protective kit from Invisaframe. It came in two weeks ago. I bit it hard around that time and have been out of commission with right rib area and internal bruising. Today was my first chance feeling good enough to tackle what Iíve heard is a 3-5 hour job. It took me 4 hours, pretty tedious work with a lot of patience involved. I must say Iím pretty impressed with this company and the kits they are making specific to frame brand, model and year. Every square inch of the frame is addressed and an easy install if you have, once again ďthe patience. After I was done I went out to dinner and had a couple of adult beverages, I needed it. Upon my return I put the bike back up on the stand. Grabbed a hairdryer set at hot. Then a needle and went to town heating up any minuscule bubbles I couldnít work out. Using a pin they disappeared and self healed pretty quick. Iíd highly suggest a frame protective nylon tape kit for your high end carbon investment. Pretty much invisible unless you really look for seams. Invisaframe is top notch in my book. Pretty amazing how they cut to fit every square inch of the frame.

2020 Primer-1d65ac20-d10d-4324-807a-a2b174c29c3a.jpg

mtbr member
    ďMcleodĒ?
    Manitou McLeod rear shock.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Manitou McLeod rear shock.

Ahh, got it. So you speced out and built your own Primer.

mtbr member
    Ahh, got it. So you speced out and built your own Primer.
    I did not, but I'm assuming that he did

I did not, but I'm assuming that he did

Lol
    As you can tell a couple of adult beverages took their toll on me tonight.

Thicc Member
    I did a build on a like new frame with my own components, yes. Manitou Mcleod and Mattoc, Mix of XTR and XX1 11 speed, WI CLD+ hubs with Carbonfan T800 rims. I'm still waiting on Manitou to send me travel adjust spacers for the Mattoc so I have a Fox 34 on there now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Primer-primer-2016-x-980-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anybody with a 2020 Primer Pro Build in here? Iíd like to pick your brain on something.
    I don't have a pro build but I can help with any questions. I built my Primer up from frame.

mtbr member
    Being a lighter rider at 145# I took out the two front and one rear volume reducers and the bike rails even more!!! This thing is so fun. Might do a little shim tuning on the fork but for right now it is pretty good.

2020 Primer-20200730_112047-1-.jpg

Thicc Member
    Looks like the blue is the popular choice for the 27.5

Manitou is having supply issues getting me a King can for my shock so I ordered a CC DB IL to try out. Since the lr is 3 at sag, it puts me at a 600lb spring even though I'm only 170 geared up. None of the light weight springs are made in this size so it's going to be a weight gain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Looks like the blue is the popular choice for the 27.5

Manitou is having supply issues getting me a King can for my shock so I ordered a CC DB IL to try out. Since the lr is 3 at sag, it puts me at a 600lb spring even though I'm only 170 geared up. None of the light weight springs are made in this size so it's going to be a weight gain.
    I love that blue too.. only that I love my bandit so much I probably would of picked up the blue frame.

mtbr member
    Someone tell me the info on this headset cup. Can this be removed and a lower stack headset be pressed in? Intense just lists the headset at "intense tapered".

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    Someone tell me the info on this headset cup. Can this be removed and a lower stack headset be pressed in? Intense just lists the headset at "intense tapered".

Most Intense carbon frames (not counting Hard Eddie and Sniper) use a 44mm upper cup and 49mm lower cup. Lower must be EC49 to fit a tapered fork, upper can be either ZS44 or EC44, but usually is ZS44.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Contemplating a 2020-21 Intense Pirmer

Over the past 2.5 years I have been riding a Spot Mayhem and frankly after 20+ bike builds in 15-20 years, it's the first bike owned that I did not have any bike envy. For me the Mayhem did everything exceptionally well, except fit properly. I sold the frame last January in anticipation of Spot updating the geometry, which they did, but now I am getting the sense that Spot will not be offering Frame only purchases until spring 2021. For Phoenix mtb riders, October to May is prime-time riding season. Further, I have been thoroughly studying Spot's new geometry and I am concerned that they have made the seat-tube angle too steep. Greater Phoenix riding is a lot of climbing, very short and intense downhills and lots of pedally rolling and rock garden sections.

I have become very interested in the Primer as the Geometry is very similar to the new Mayhem (sans the steep seat-tube angle) and in speaking with Intense today, it seems they have good inventory on 2020 and 2021 frames.

A number of questions have come to mind that I am confident current or recent Primer owners can provide:

1. Is the bike quiet, solid and confidence inspiring from a fit, finish and ride perspective?
    2. Is there any persistent or difficult to remedy creaking in your bike?
    3. Is there any peculiar riding traits or things that you would want to change to with the bike?
    4. When climbing, how often do you reach down and flip the switch?
    5. Is stand-over height good to acceptable?
    6. Have the pivots held tight, any re-tightening required or persistent creeky pivots to deal with.
    7. Any issues with the under bottom bracket cable routing?

In the next few weeks I hope to demo a medium and a large Primer from Over the Edge Bikes in Sedona and would gratefully appreciate any owners great, good and not so good experiences with their 2020 Primer.

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'll comment with a perspective from a 2018 Tracer, where applicable:

1. Is the bike quiet, solid and confidence inspiring from a fit, finish and ride perspective?

Mostly yes, provided your BB isn't shot (buy a good one like Hope or Wheels) and your cables are properly routed and secured from sliding around.

Nope.

6. Have the pivots held tight, any re-tightening required or persistent creeky pivots to deal with.

the locking collets on the rear axle and lower pivots stay tight. No issues. Upper link pivots are fine too, use a little threadlock though for good measure

Make sure you have an appropriate amount of slack in the lower loop to prevent rubbing, use some heat shrink to bind the cables together and use some shelter tape on the bottom bracket area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Many thanks SRALPH! Good call regarding shrink wraping the under BB cables and I always shelter tape the vulnerable areas of my frames

Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post

Mostly yes, provided your BB isn't shot (buy a good one like Hope or Wheels) and your cables are properly routed and secured from sliding around.

Nope.

the locking collets on the rear axle and lower pivots stay tight. No issues. Upper link pivots are fine too, use a little threadlock though for good measure

Make sure you have an appropriate amount of slack in the lower loop to prevent rubbing, use some heat shrink to bind the cables together and use some shelter tape on the bottom bracket area.

mtbr member

I am actually looking for a higher stack height with that lower headset cup. I am interested in that information and interested in finding one.

Thicc Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    1. Is the bike quiet, solid and confidence inspiring from a fit, finish and ride perspective? Yes
    2. Is there any persistent or difficult to remedy creaking in your bike? No
    3. Is there any peculiar riding traits or things that you would want to change to with the bike? No
    4. When climbing, how often do you reach down and flip the switch? Never
    5. Is stand-over height good to acceptable? Yes
    6. Have the pivots held tight? Yes
    7. Any issues with the under bottom bracket cable routing? No
    Answers in the quote box.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for your input Tyler

Answers in the quote box.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post

Nope.

Does it make you say, Holy F*** this bike is fun?
    Do you make jet fighter noises when you come flying out of a turn at mach silly?

2020 Primer-7fdae500-6da6-432d-9f69-c89b13d59d4a.jpg

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Primer Grande

Just wanted to share my Primer on steroids. Cane Creek Coil IL in the rear, giving 155mm travel. Fox 36 170mm with Push ACS3 coil. Custom sized bushings in the fork as well as other tricks to reduce friction. An absolute beast on the downhills, and still gets up all the difficult technical climbs.

Waiting for a Bomber CR to arrive back from Avalanche.

It's a Large, with 2.6" Magic Mary and Hans Dampf. Makes it look like a medium 27.5" bike. :-)

2020 Primer-screenshot_20200919-212508_gallery.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Does it make you say, Holy F*** this bike is fun?
    Do you make jet fighter noises when you come flying out of a turn at mach silly?
    HA! Its a super fun bike. I just threw a Fox 38 on it, have a new Transfer post inbound and am looking forward to getting out on it tomorrow. It's such a rad bike but I'm anxiously waiting the 2021 model

Just wanted to share my Primer on steroids. Cane Creek Coil IL in the rear, giving 155mm travel. Fox 36 170mm with Push ACS3 coil. Custom sized bushings in the fork as well as other tricks to reduce friction. An absolute beast on the downhills, and still gets up all the difficult technical climbs.

Waiting for a Bomber CR to arrive back from Avalanche.

It's a Large, with 2.6" Magic Mary and Hans Dampf. Makes it look like a medium 27.5" bike. :-)

Name:	Screenshot_20200919-212508_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	1365067
    Pretty bad ass. You turned a Primer in to DH bike. Lol
    It does look smaller with those beefy tires. Whatís on the bottom of the down tube? Is that a storage compartment of sorts?

Whatís it weigh?

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    I'll play... I've been riding a loaner 2020 Primer 275 and the bike just fit me instantly. Bike is a true all rounder with the geometry not being too long or too slack. Makes it nimble like a trail bike should be and yet is extremely confidence inspiring. Handles the rough stuff pretty well despite being only 140/150mm and also jumps amazingly well!

Some short clips of the bike jumping. Full vlog will be on the youtube channel about tackling those jumps come monday...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFNidMCFv6n/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFPodTaFomS/

Some riding down some DH stuff we have out here... Bike handled the chunky stuff pretty well too though I gotta admit i did feel some flex when things got a little more violent from the 34 despite weighing only 135lbs. Glad they went to a 36 for the 2021 models...

Thicc Member
    Glad I got one of the 2020 models; the 2021 colorway is super lame!

I love the 2020 color schemes. The 2021 arenít as striking as the 2020 but still better than most other brand color combos.

mtbr member
    I'm not fond of the 2021 color schemes either. 2020 colors are better. However, they should of went with metallic solid colors for 2021. A few bike companies have some metallic colors for latest bikes and they look awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for chiming in DIRTJUNKIE!

Name:	7FDAE500-6DA6-432D-9F69-C89B13D59D4A.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	1365003

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I like both and having a difficult time between 20-21. The 2020 graphics are great, but the colors, especially the tennis ball yellow (no offense) are a little predictable and passe'. I think the 2021 graphics are sharp, but limited in color choices. Looking forward to swinging a leg over one soon, I am a little concerned about standover height.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    I like both and having a difficult time between 20-21. The 2020 graphics are great, but the colors, especially the tennis ball yellow (no offense) are a little predictable and passe'. I think the 2021 graphics are sharp, but limited in color choices. Looking forward to swinging a leg over one soon, I am a little concerned about standover height.
    Despite the seat tube length, the stand over height is actually pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    Despite the seat tube length, the stand over height is actually pretty good
    Stand over height is fine. Iím 6í with a 34Ē inseam on a Large 2020. I got lucky with the fit. The fit is so fit perfect in every way all I did was adjust the bar tilt to my liking upon putting it together. Whoever did the main build and set it up must have been my size. Even the brake perches were setup identical to the angle of how I like them.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Stand over height is fine. Iím 6í with a 34Ē inseam on a Large 2020. I got lucky with the fit. The fit is so fit perfect in every way all I did was adjust the bar tilt to my liking upon putting it together. Whoever did the main build and set it up must have been my size. Even the brake perches were setup identical to the angle of how I like them.
    I had to cut down the bars and adjust bar roll and lever angles but yea I totally agree. The geo and I got along right away. It felt like I've been riding this bike forever to the point where I started hitting bigger jumps with it too!

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Pretty bad ass. You turned a Primer in to DH bike. Lol
    It does look smaller with those beefy tires. Whatís on the bottom of the down tube? Is that a storage compartment of sorts?

Whatís it weigh?
    It's the battery for the light that was mounted when I took the picture. Magicshine Monteer 8000. Have yet to try it.

I just weighed it, 14.3kg. Lots of deep roots and rocks where I ride, and I tend to go for a setup that gets me through that terrain with the least resistance, rather than focus on weight. Air suspension has too much stiction and often problems with the spring curve, not to mention the problems with air in sub-freezing temps or just when temperature changes a lot.

It's the battery for the light that was mounted when I took the picture. Magicshine Monteer 8000. Have yet to try it.

I just weighed it, 14.3kg. Lots of deep roots and rocks where I ride, and I tend to go for a setup that gets me through that terrain with the least resistance, rather than focus on weight. Air suspension has too much stiction and often problems with the spring curve, not to mention the problems with air in sub-freezing temps or just when temperature changes a lot.
    So 31.5 lbs is not bad for what youíve done to it. I would have guessed heavier.

So I have a 2020 Primer Pro build and am loving it. I was just checking the 2021 to see the differences they made from 2020 on the Pro.

FOX 36 mm fork instead of 34mm.
    XT shifters and drivetrain instead of SRAM.
    E13 dropper instead of the FOX Transfer.
    E13 Crank instead of SRAM.

Iím a bit confused on the fork and shock. They say they are FOX Elite yet they donít have the FOX Factory suspension Kashma coating like the 2020 model.

Any other changes I overlooked?

https://intensecycles.com/products/2...31757169852439

Thicc Member
    Performance Elite is the same as the Factory just no Kashima. "Performance" has lower grade internals. No LSC adjust for the Open mode on the DPX2.

Now with the 2800g frames they come with 2000+g forks. These are basically under-travel enduro bikes now. Might as well design them to take longer shocks and forks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

2020 Primer

So I have a 2020 Primer Pro build and am loving it. I was just checking the 2021 to see the differences they made from 2020 on the Pro.

FOX 36 mm fork instead of 34mm.
    XT shifters and drivetrain instead of SRAM.
    E13 dropper instead of the FOX Transfer.
    E13 Crank instead of SRAM.

Iím a bit confused on the fork and shock. They say they are FOX Elite yet they donít have the FOX Factory suspension Kashma coating like the 2020 model.

Any other changes I overlooked?

https://intensecycles.com/products/2...31757169852439
    Factory = highest end damper and kashima
    Performance elite = same as factory with Black Ano stanchion. Sometimes only available as OE on manufactured bikes
    Performance = different Dampers

Iím sorry if this wasnít your question.

Performance Elite is the same as the Factory just no Kashima. "Performance" has lower grade internals. No LSC adjust for the Open mode on the DPX2.

Now with the 2800g frames they come with 2000+g forks. These are basically under-travel enduro bikes now. Might as well design them to take longer shocks and forks.
    I agree.
    And thanks on the fork description.

Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Factory = highest end damper and kashima
    Performance elite = same as factory with Black Ano stanchion. Sometimes only available as OE on manufactured bikes
    Performance = different Dampers

Iím sorry if this wasnít your question.

Yes you answered the fork question, thanks.

Is there anything I missed as far as overall changes between the 2020 & 2121?

Are the geometry #ís the same?

Any other parts I missed?

I know they went to 36mm from 34mm forks due to some complainting of flex with the 34. Iím 230 lbs and have yet to feel any flex with the 34.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I agree.
    And thanks on the fork description.

Yes you answered the fork question, thanks.

Is there anything I missed as far as overall changes between the 2020 & 2121?

Are the geometry #ís the same?

Any other parts I missed?

I know they went to 36mm from 34mm forks due to some complainting of flex with the 34. Iím 230 lbs and have yet to feel any flex with the 34.
    Most people will not notice any flex from the 34. With Fox releasing their 38 this now positioned the 36 as a trail/all mountain fork and the 34 as a lighter weight trail fork. One of the biggest drawbacks on the 34 with the Primer is it is not available in a 150mm configuration stock (only an OEM option), so anyone wanting to purchase the same fork for a build would not be able to as it's limited to 140mm of travel. With a 36 fork you're now able to put a 160mm damper in if you wanted to increase your travel without purchasing a whole new fork.

On the 2021 Pro models they now come with a Shimano XT 12sp drivetrain, the 2020 models came with a Sram XO1/GX 12sp drivetrain. They also now have 4-piston brakes front and rear with 180mm rotors front and back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Is there a big weight difference between the 34 and 36 for same travel?

The XT 12 spd is a good choice. A few people I know switched from GX to XT and love the shifting. I want to switch my tracer just to have the 2 clicks up or down

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Weighing in at 135lbs, I've been riding the 34 on the Primer275. I've only felt the flex at a few high speed chunky situations. Aside from that it's not been a problem not even on bigger hits where I completely ride like a hack and send deep. Could be because I'm lighter and getting away with it but I doubt most people will even notice the flex. A lot of times reading something on the internet plays with the mind and adds a placebo effect with our experience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    Weighing in at 135lbs, I've been riding the 34 on the Primer275. I've only felt the flex at a few high speed chunky situations. Aside from that it's not been a problem not even on bigger hits where I completely ride like a hack and send deep. Could be because I'm lighter and getting away with it but I doubt most people will even notice the flex. A lot of times reading something on the internet plays with the mind and adds a placebo effect with our experience.

Most of the time it is fine I noticed a flex but at first I didn't know what it was I thought maybe my rotors were loose or something wrong with my brakes. I almost never jump my primer it's only on steep descends under braking I've noticed the flex. For aggressive riding I use my tracer but if I didn't have a Tracer and I was buying a new primer I'd probably want to 36 just to have it

Most people will not notice any flex from the 34. With Fox releasing their 38 this now positioned the 36 as a trail/all mountain fork and the 34 as a lighter weight trail fork. One of the biggest drawbacks on the 34 with the Primer is it is not available in a 150mm configuration stock (only an OEM option), so anyone wanting to purchase the same fork for a build would not be able to as it's limited to 140mm of travel. With a 36 fork you're now able to put a 160mm damper in if you wanted to increase your travel without purchasing a whole new fork.

On the 2021 Pro models they now come with a Shimano XT 12sp drivetrain, the 2020 models came with a Sram XO1/GX 12sp drivetrain. They also now have 4-piston brakes front and rear with 180mm rotors front and back.
    Thanks for that info. I knew the 2021 is now XT brakes I didnít realize both front and rear were 4-piston. The 180 rotors are the same as the 2020. I canít imagine needing any more stopping power than the XT 4-piston front and 2-piston rear on the 2020. I thought about a 36 fork upgrade but without feeling any flex I donít see any sense in upgrading. I also see they opted for the lower level fork in the 36 to keep the same price point in the Pro build as last years Factory fork 34.

So the geo numbers are all the same between the two years?

mtbr member
    I think it comes down to your plans for the bike. If its more for xc go for the 34, more for enduro go 36.

Mine started off as a 2020 nx 34 build and now it is an xo1 build with carbon wheels and a mezzer with a mara pro on the way. The mezzer absolutely changed the bike and is heads and shoulders better than the fox. I really had no complaints on the 34 grip1 but man, that mezzer is something else entirely.

My bike came with the deore 4 piston front and 2 rear. I was very impressed with these brakes. Powerful and no wandering bite point. They were actually the best shimono brakes I have ever had. Being a sram fan boy i switched them out for guide rsc 4 piston f/r.

Any way you slice it the primer is an awesome bike. It just does everything well and is so damn fun to ride. I don't think you can go wrong with any version.

I think it comes down to your plans for the bike. If its more for xc go for the 34, more for enduro go 36.

Mine started off as a 2020 nx 34 build and now it is an xo1 build with carbon wheels and a mezzer with a mara pro on the way. The mezzer absolutely changed the bike and is heads and shoulders better than the fox. I really had no complaints on the 34 grip1 but man, that mezzer is something else entirely.

My bike came with the deore 4 piston front and 2 rear. I was very impressed with these brakes. Powerful and no wandering bite point. They were actually the best shimono brakes I have ever had. Being a sram fan boy i switched them out for guide rsc 4 piston f/r.

Any way you slice it the primer is an awesome bike. It just does everything well and is so damn fun to ride. I don't think you can go wrong with any version.

You made me read up on that fork. Sounds sweet, definitely stiffer giving the adjustability from 140 to 180. And your last paragraph I couldnít agree with you more. Such a fun bike no matter how itís built up.

Thicc Member

As a 170lb rider, I only notice the 34 flex on hard bermed turns. I don't mind it. I have a Mattoc on another bike at 160mm and it's a better fork. Have you ever tried a Mattoc on the front with a Mcleod/Mara on the rear? My Mcleod needed a king can to make it more linear but it was awesome otherwise. I put a DB IL coil on for now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

fork upgrade

Looking to upgrade to a Fox Factory 36. Has anyone moved up to a 160 travel fork and/or 44mm offset? looking for some input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast