2020 Primer - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Primer

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Regarding the standover height, it is listed as 32 inches which seems quite high compared to similar bikes. Is that accurate? Is it high because of where they happen to measure from? My son is 5'6" and his inseam is certainly no more than 30", so can't imagine fitting well on even the small frame.
    --------------
    2019 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    1999 Trek 8000 SL

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Apparently nobody enters the Intense forum anymore. I remember a time when you had to wait in line to make a post around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    yea it's sorta strange. OG Primer thread hit 13 pages. haven't seen nearly as much buzz on the new one. very competitive market i guess and Intense does limited marketing despite their new ownership.

kinda sad if you ask me. i expected more pop.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/intens...velopment.html

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jon-erik-burleson-326ba650

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Its weird, Intense bikes are very competitive right now. I use to ride intense bikes 10+ years ago when they were known as a top brand, then prices just went out to lunch!! or at least in Canada they did. it wasn't until maybe late 17 or 18 before the pricing became competitive again. the pricing turned me away, but i came back in 18 to a primer from Norco... i'm thinking a lot of people they left intense never came back.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam1 View Post
    Its weird, Intense bikes are very competitive right now. I use to ride intense bikes 10+ years ago when they were known as a top brand, then prices just went out to lunch!! or at least in Canada they did. it wasn't until maybe late 17 or 18 before the pricing became competitive again. the pricing turned me away, but i came back in 18 to a primer from Norco... i'm thinking a lot of people they left intense never came back.
    You may have nailed it. Their loss our gain, love my Primer.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey guys I understand the new gen Primer has a 150 up front. Any thoughts on how it would sit with a 140 instead? Steepen the HTA maybe .5 degree? Perhaps a little stiffer? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iím on a 2020 Primer Pro build. Anybody change out your volume spacers in the Fox DPX2 Shock? If so, what weight are you and what spacer did you use?

Thicc Member
    My 2020 27.5 with the CC DB IL coil is like magic over bumps. When I let my friends ride it, they are blown away. It is a GREAT trail bike. I installed the 30t front ring for a little more anti-squat and kept the front 150mm since it felt balanced. I also put on the 210x55mm in the high chip setting, since the bottom out bumper engages 10mm before the end of the stroke. I can't run the low setting now but that's ok.

As far as the shock, the lr is so progressive that if I had a DPX2, I'd take out all the spacers and try it at 15-25% sag. The linear coil is perfect so I don't know why they would try to make the spring more progressive.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Iím on a 2020 Primer Pro build. Anybody change out your volume spacers in the Fox DPX2 Shock? If so, what weight are you and what spacer did you use?
    I took out the volume spacers and the 5mm travel limiter spacer on the shock shaft, giving me 155mm rear travel. I have to run it in high setting. Have since gone for a CCDB Coil il and later an Avalanche-tuned Bomber RC. The latter is awesome, it is both exceptionally plush and pedals very well, and at speed in rough terrain it makes the ACS-3 equipped Fox 36 up front seem a bit primitive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hmmm. Yeah itís quiet here. Lots of peopleís questions go unanswered.

mtbr member
    Mine is the 275 version and run it with a Mezzer 160 and mara pro 210x55. The bike does everything well, I love it. At 1100 miles it may be time to take the bike apart and regrease everything. It has been ridden through some nasty conditions on vacation.

Evolution Training Cycles

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    Mine is the 275 version and run it with a Mezzer 160 and mara pro 210x55. The bike does everything well, I love it. At 1100 miles it may be time to take the bike apart and regrease everything. It has been ridden through some nasty conditions on vacation.

i'm a long time manitou fan... nice to see a Primer fitted with them. Think I commented on your post in that FB group too

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2020 Primer

Here is my new Primer 2020. Just finished building it up. I came off a size Large older generation Primer. At 6í2Ē and a 34 inch inseam I could ride either size. I will say I was a bit cramped as far as reach and ETT on the large hence the longer stem. On the XL pictured I have almost too much room. I ordered a 40mm Renthal stem w 10 degree rise but itís not here yet. I had all the parts to build up the frame but needed a threaded GXP 73 BB. Aside from that and replacing all cables, everything moved over. My previous Primer was very light and so is this build due to selected components.

I used my Fox 34 130mm performance elite fork for now. I plan to install a new Fox 140mm air sleeve to gain 10mm up front. Not really wanting to push a 34 up to 150 so a 140 is the plan. In the meantime, it is obviously steeper and lower BB. Moving to 140 I suspect the bike will be about .5 degree steeper HTA than an OE 2020 Primer and .5 slacker than it sits pictured. I just replaced the Orange fork decal w Red to match (not pictured). Bike weight is 28.37 lbs with XTR Race pedals and Garmin mount. Down the road I may eventually swap Cranks to XX1 Dub and w new stem it many be slightly under 28 lbs in XL, with fairly beefy tires and wheels.

First riding impression is it feels longer as expected, smooth out back with the 140, and climbs really well. The XL size opens up my breathing and I think will suit me well. Steering is slow mostly due to the long stem and just being a bigger bike. 40mm stem should help. BB is low due to fork but that is being addressed.Iím excited to ride it more and hope to hit the dirt tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I

Nice!
    And you chose the right color, Iím a bit biased though.

2020 Primer-94868e76-9dd6-4ce5-8761-b1342a77561e.jpg

I got lucky with a Large. Iím 6í and it fits me perfectly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    both primers look great! solid livery from Intense. i agree Intenses always look best in red.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice yeah at 6í even Iíd go large too. And I too agree Red and Black rocks.

Thicc Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    The Mara Pro, Mara_z, and CC IL Coil were my short list. Very nice setup.

Thicc Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Here is my new Primer 2020. Just finished building it up. I came off a size Large older generation Primer. At 6í2Ē and a 34 inch inseam I could ride either size. I will say I was a bit cramped as far as reach and ETT on the large hence the longer stem. On the XL pictured I have almost too much room. I ordered a 40mm Renthal stem w 10 degree rise but itís not here yet. I had all the parts to build up the frame but needed a threaded GXP 73 BB. Aside from that and replacing all cables, everything moved over. My previous Primer was very light and so is this build due to selected components.
    At 6', I'm on a Large with a slammed -6 50mm stem. Nothing wrong with long stems; they work very well for some people, especially with how low a dropper let's you get. I enjoy the aggressive pedaling position - this a trail bike after all. .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2020 Primer

Agree. I ran this stem on my XC race bikes in the past. Now I just have the one Mtb this Primer and am not racing lately. With my size I feel much better on the XL but itís a little to much reach with the current stem. I think the 40 will put me in a better place and slightly quicken the steering. Iíll hang on to the Flatforce 66 in case I eventually get another bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12