Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Tracer

mtbr member

2017 Tracer

2017 Tracer-img_6345.jpg

At first look of the numbers there are nothing ground braking with geo, When I found out the new tracer was coming I thought they would follow the trend that pivot went with the firebird. Long, I mean looong and low. A Dh monster, something that would be a hoot to ride at speed going down hill. But not maybe th first choice for an alrounder. I'm very happy they stayed conservative with the new tracer much like the primer. I unfortunately have not had a chance to ride it. I've been really sick with a really bad chest cold and am just getting to walking again after a bad back injury, but I've heard the bike is a blast to ride! There will probably be bikes will do one specific task better but this bike is a quiver killer. And hot dame it's a looker. I hope to be back on the bike soon to give a full report and can't wait to hear what you guys have to say. Great job Jeff!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Cool looking bike but a bit underwhelming to be honest. I was hoping for a bit of geometry adjustment. With only a .5 degree slacker head angle than the Recluse it seemed like they were afraid to push the limits with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Cool looking bike but a bit underwhelming to be honest. I was hoping for a bit of geometry adjustment. With only a .5 degree slacker head angle than the Recluse it seemed like they were afraid to push the limits with it.

I think the geometry is spot on for its intended use. Go much slacker and you're in park bike realm and climbing becomes a chore and sketchy.

mtbr member
    Dude I understand what you mean, it's doesn't seem to be pushing the limits of what could be done or has been done with a bike of this genre. I don't think they were afraid in any way though. Jeff and the team built up and rode lots of test mules till they felt they hit the sweet spot. In a way they were bold enough to put all that time into developing a high end carbon bike that's doesn't have any numbers that jump off the spec sheet and say "look what we did" It's much like the Primer, I would have never thought it would have rode the way it dose by looking at the geo. Why it's it such a fun snappy bike that almost goes up hill as good as it goes down hill? They hit the sweet spot for it being the best trail bike I've ever ridden.

When you look at the numbers of the 2014 tracerC compared to 2014 nomad, the tracer looks like it would be a much better climber, snappier trail bike. Having owned both and ridden multiple versions of both bikes I found it to be the opposite. The nomad was pure magic. Nothing what I thought it would be after first looking at the geo of the nomad. What I see on paper for the new tracer looks like a nomad that has almost all the fine tuning or tweaks I would make to it to bring it into line with modern geos. I'm surprised the HA isn't slacker, BB isn't lower and it doesn't have more travel
    But I'll wait till I get my paws on one till I pass judgement. But I'm very excited as it sits as being my alrounder that can slay anything

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    I ride a Nomad (came from a 2015 T275a) and my nomad climbs stellar. I loved my t275a too. Just wish they set the tracer a little further from the recluse. 64.5/65.5 adjustable HA would have been perfect for my area. Park bike in the morning and trail bike later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is the Bottom Bracket a press-fit or what? Couldn't find that detail anywhere...
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Looks rad, numbers are absolutely ok, wanna more slacker - choose uzzi;
    The only thing that looks out of the scope is foundation build complete...

mtbr member
    What the heck are you doing on a norco?

Looks like geo is based off a 160 fork, throw a 170,180 fork maybe an angle set -.5 or -1 and how knows if it can be long shocked if all that can be done you have yourself a carbon uzzi, something almost every body wanted. Let's not forget guys, is this the last new product we will see from intense this year?

Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    What the heck are you doing on a norco?
    Me?

mtbr member
    Haha Ya in your intaspam

Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Haha Ya in your intaspam
    I had nothing else to ride. LOL

That's my old bike that I sold to my buddy and he let me borrow the last couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 7PointMe View Post
    Is the Bottom Bracket a press-fit or what? Couldn't find that detail anywhere...
    UPDATE = Checked the Frame-only option and I'm glad they're offering a frame-only... It's PF92... That's something they shouldn't do, I see they've added sleeves for the derailleur, seatpost... the brake posts and possibly the ISCG tabs... I would think sleeved BB is just a no-brainer at this point, no??
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    We need to curb a bit of our analysis decisions based on the geometry numbers.

There are several distinct modifications that are improvements from my Tracer of last year. I have a 2016 T275A, because of a personal hangup on alloy frames and the increased price of carbon fiber. I don't place as much emphasis on the weight differences because it is sprung weight as opposed to unsprung weight. How can you be a weight weenie when you have a heavy dropper post with a long and strong fork? My bike does have a Boost rear triangle, which the new carbon Tracer now has for the first time.

The new Tracer for 2017 is much more of an improvement than the geometry numbers reflect. The rear triangle not only has Boost, but it gained stability and strength with the added drive side support between the lower link and upper link, like the 275+ ACV.

The new upper link is longer and gives the shock rear mount a larger arc, resulting in a less variable and more linear force on the shock. This resulted in a need to locate the upper shock mount on the down tube to help maintain the linear force. Another positive result from this configuration has allowed the top tube to be angled in a more optimum position because it no longer has a direct impact on shock travel. It can be made smaller to reduce weight because forces from the shock are eliminated.

No doubt, this new design will decrease the weight of your wallet. But, if you've got the jack, the smiles this set of wheels will put on your face is priceless.

mtbr member
    Nice Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Nice Nomad
    Except with better reach, seat tube angle, wheelbase and suspension leverage. Etc.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Interesting review in Pinkbike fro Richard Cunningham.

2017 Intense Tracer - Review - Pinkbike
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I think the geometry is spot on for its intended use. Go much slacker and you're in park bike realm and climbing becomes a chore and sketchy.
    According to the Pinkbike review, I am wrong. lol

mtbr member
    looks great to me on paper. aggressive without being extreme. geo looks good, nice to see them touting the leverage curve. collaboration with cesar rojo is cool, he seems like a pretty interesting cat. damn, the bike looks good too! can't wait to ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Soooooo who is getting one? How does it climb compared to the uzzi and the recluse? Linkage numbers look good on paper. The one thing that turned me off initially was the 160 fork pairing to a 165 rear. Will the fork be able to keep up?

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Specs don't mention adjustable geo but the shock mount bolt looks offset?

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Specs don't mention adjustable geo but the shock mount bolt looks offset?

Got into one at the LBS and it's not adjustable

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    Soooooo who is getting one? How does it climb compared to the uzzi and the recluse? Linkage numbers look good on paper. The one thing that turned me off initially was the 160 fork pairing to a 165 rear. Will the fork be able to keep up?
    Interesting, I was told by an Intense employee (when I bought his other 2017 bike) that this Tracer was going to be 170 up front. Maybe he meant HE is going to build one with 170 up front.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm not really psyched on the climbing descriptions in the various reviews.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Intended use is enduro racing it seems. The recluse with a 160 is an excellent light footed heavy hitting trail monster. Also the uzzi in the steep setting with an air shock is a great technical climber where I never use the lockout.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Interesting, I was told by an Intense employee (when I bought his other 2017 bike) that this Tracer was going to be 170 up front. Maybe he meant HE is going to build one with 170 up front.

You can install the DVO Diamond Boost 27.5 upfront with adjusted travel to 170mm via spacers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not getting one, yet, but the lower end black frame has me foaming at the mouth. Will be upgrading components on my alum Tracer with that monster in mind.

Anybody know how much they're asking for the lower end frame-only?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Like Santa Cruz and Yeti, I bet the lower end frame will not be available as a frame only option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Except with better reach, seat tube angle, wheelbase and suspension leverage. Etc.
    I agree better than the nomad in every respect.

Apart from reach, its almost identical geo to the Capra, which was is favourite enduro bike. Not just for price but geo and suspension curve. This looks to challenge this.

for me though, I'm pretty much a convert on the big hoops now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    There I was. All fat, dumb and happy. Then I just had to open my fat mouth. I'm now dumber than I thought and not happy anymore. Ignorance is bliss and all that rot. jk

Guess this calls for a regroup. Thanks for the info, I think.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not in the market for a new bike but I must say the new Tracer is a looker from both a geo perspective and color layout. That said, not a fan of the yellow link on top, just looks a little cheesy but otherwise a sick bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    With as much emphasis as everyone is putting on geo numbers I would think everyone on here was an engineer or scientist. The toplink is not adjustable like the Trail link system on the Recluse/Spider/Primer, it is set at 165mm. The Tracer can be outfitted with a 170mm fork. Also, the Fox forks that are spec'd on the bike are spaced down to 160, they can be extended to 170-180mm, without being replaced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think the leverage curve comes down to preference. The chart on Pinkbike shows the new Tracer has no regression in the beginning stroke, basically no inherent platform, which is what makes VPP great. A more linear ramp-up will keep it glued to the ground while descending, but you're limited to either fully active or locked out on the climbs. I bought my 2015 T275 after test riding a Nomad because I wanted more platform. Now in 2017 comparatively, the Nomad would have been my choice.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Inter71 View Post
    I think the leverage curve comes down to preference. The chart on Pinkbike shows the new Tracer has no regression in the beginning stroke, basically no inherent platform, which is what makes VPP great. A more linear ramp-up will keep it glued to the ground while descending, but you're limited to either fully active or locked out on the climbs. I bought my 2015 T275 after test riding a Nomad because I wanted more platform. Now in 2017 comparatively, the Nomad would have been my choice.
    There's quite a bit more that comes into play when keeping a bike planted going downhill, other than just leverage curve. Shock tuning and selection, wheel path, rider position in relation to geo. Also when you look at Downhill bikes, the leverage curve drops.

2017 Tracer-screen-shot-2017-02-08-12.44.39-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    Not getting one, yet, but the lower end black frame has me foaming at the mouth.
    Foaming/frothing at the mouth would be an understatement in my case. I've been staring at this dark coffee for far too long now (for me). Almost there.... (c'mon parts).
    Untitled by Orven Zaragoza, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So uzzi related to what is tune?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    There's quite a bit more that comes into play when keeping a bike planted going downhill, other than just leverage curve. Shock tuning and selection, wheel path, rider position in relation to geo. Also when you look at Downhill bikes, the leverage curve drops.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 12.44.39 PM.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	1120358
    Yes, all those things are true. My point wasn't to name all the things that make you go fast down a hill. I was merely pointing out one advantage of the new design, it will track more predictably going down than the Nomad (on paper). However, it will not climb as well as my current Tracer, nor the Nomad (on paper).
    T275a

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes, all those things are true. My point wasn't to name all the things that make you go fast down a hill. I was merely pointing out one advantage of the new design, it will track more predictably going down than the Nomad (on paper). However, it will not climb as well as my current Tracer, nor the Nomad (on paper).
    Having ridden the old tracer and this new one....it will climb better. I was not expecting this bike to climb well compared to the Spider or Recluse as I've spent most of my 8 months of riding on these two bikes. However, I feel more comfortable on this bike overall, reach, ST height, position over the pedals...which has made me more comfortable on climbs. I'm a big fan of the Fox Float X2, so for the longer climbs I always activate the firm position, do I need it? No. But it's there for a reason.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzer View Post
    Foaming/frothing at the mouth would be an understatement in my case. I've been staring at this dark coffee for far too long now (for me). Almost there.... (c'mon parts).
    Untitled by Orven Zaragoza, on Flickr
    Hot damn I want to see what you come up with!

All bike, all the time
    "Interesting" yes given its caveats about climbing and liveliness... also why so heavy? Anyone know frame weight? That build should be coming in around 26 lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Interesting review in Pinkbike fro Richard Cunningham.

2017 Intense Tracer - Review - Pinkbike
    All bike, all the time

All bike, all the time
    Yes particularly from RC. Haven't read a review this cautionary on climbing in a long time: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2017-i...er-review.html
    I'm not really psyched on the climbing descriptions in the various reviews.
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    Yes particularly from RC. Haven't read a review this cautionary on climbing in a long time: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2017-i...er-review.html
    It's reads pretty damning to anyone who can read the subtext, since it's definitely not PC to give Intense a flat out bad review. My LBS has one for a demo. Hopes not high.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    "Interesting" yes given its caveats about climbing and liveliness... also why so heavy? Anyone know frame weight? That build should be coming in around 26 lbs.
    Factory build comes in a 27.11 lbs. There are a couple things that add weight like having the Forks built at 160MM but the stanchions are for 180MM internal so they can be built up. You would also be surprised how many grams two coats of paint adds to a frame as opposed to one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Having ridden the old tracer and this new one....it will climb better. I was not expecting this bike to climb well compared to the Spider or Recluse as I've spent most of my 8 months of riding on these two bikes. However, I feel more comfortable...
    You've pretty much lost credibility with me.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Factory build comes in a 27.11 lbs. There are a couple things that add weight like having the Forks built at 160MM but the stanchions are for 180MM internal so they can be built up. You would also be surprised how many grams two coats of paint adds to a frame as opposed to one.
    Is this confirmed on the fork? I think that would be really great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Can someone explain to me how a bike sagged in at 30 benefits from a regressive rate at beginig of stroke for a platform?

Im a long time vpp fan, but rode my buddies jeffsy and decided there is no real difference in pedaling when both bikes have reasonable anti squat.

There is a difference in mid stroke suppport which means less pump on backsides and a general vagueness. In other words, I dont believe the regressive to progressive curve did shit. Its marketing BS and spin.

If im right AND the new tracer has ~120% anti squat it will be great (for guys who are strong).

believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is RC super fit? Strong in a strength to weight way?

If your not a gym rat or moto guy I think any 160 travel enduro rig is going to suck anyplace but downhill. Have a 25 year old EWS prospect ride and review. Probably a whole other perspective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Is RC super fit? Strong in a strength to weight way?

If your not a gym rat or moto guy I think any 160 travel enduro rig is going to suck anyplace but downhill. Have a 25 year old EWS prospect ride and review. Probably a whole other perspective.

I know Harry the other tester in the pictures and he is a strong rider. If they are saying it wasn't a great climber along with Vital there might some truth to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Can someone explain to me how a bike sagged in at 30 benefits from a regressive rate at beginig of stroke for a platform?

Im a long time vpp fan, but rode my buddies jeffsy and decided there is no real difference in pedaling when both bikes have reasonable anti squat.

There is a difference in mid stroke suppport which means less pump on backsides and a general vagueness. In other words, I dont believe the regressive to progressive curve did shit. Its marketing BS and spin.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pkZ0-MGMU
    T275a

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I have had one for a while now and will write a review when I have some more time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I know Harry the other tester in the pictures and he is a strong rider. If they are saying it wasn't a great climber along with Vital there might some truth to it.
    This is the problem with reviews "not a great climber" compared to what?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Is this confirmed on the fork? I think that would be really great.
    Yes, I talked to the product manager about the fork and he confirmed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You've pretty much lost credibility with me.
    Sorry, most of the last 8 months.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    On the climbing: what type of climbing are we talking about? Endless moderate non tech switchbacks? Fireroad climbs? Punchy technical climbs? Seated or standing? A bad climbing bike for me is one that looses traction, one where the front wanders, unbalanced when needing to do power moves, accelerates poorly. I put let emphasis on efficiency or speed. The uzzi is a great climbing bike and I have a hard time believing the tracer is worse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It doesn't matter. These are the same guys that do all the reviews. Across the board, every media source said the same thing, it doesn't climb. This has to be in comparison to other bikes in the same class.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    This is the problem with reviews "not a great climber" compared to what?
    I read it as other bikes in it's class. Doubt they would be comparing it to 120 bikes. The beauty of the modern 160 bikes is that they can be ridden all day every day. My Nomad has done 50+ mile/7K climbing days and been awesome. I am sure that the SB6c and Spec Enduro check this box as well.

Intense is very clear about the intention of the bike and it is not those types of rides. It is a gravity machine. The lack of any bottle mounts and the nearly universal reviews that all mention the climbing confirm this. With the number of prototypes they went through my guess is that it rides EXACTLY how they want it to. I will also hazard a very educated guess that we will see a long travel 29'r come out to fill the void left by the previous Tracer. It will be the all day do everything sled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think personally the recluse is filling the old tracer void already. I think it's underrated as people only look at the 140 rear travel but the linkage design put this into 160 category of previous years. The bike takes big hits with grace and is very snappy at the same time. I am with you however on the hope for the big hit 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    2017 Tracer-img_4296.jpg

Build I did for one of my buddies. My frame is off at paint and still waiting on parts, will post pics and build kit when it's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by cblesius View Post

Name:	IMG_4296.jpg 
Views:	3480 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	1120818

Build I did for one of my buddies. My frame is off at paint and still waiting on parts, will post pics and build kit when it's ready.
    Can't wait to see the finished product!

connisseur
    That orange/yellow combo looks like a bad 80's nightmare

mtbr member
    Just a heads up on the small and medium frame, the DVO shock coil and air, reservoir hits the top tube. Mount it reservoir down, and top of shock pointed towards the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think personally the recluse is filling the old tracer void already. I think it's underrated as people only look at the 140 rear travel but the linkage design put this into 160 category of previous years. The bike takes big hits with grace and is very snappy at the same time. I am with you however on the hope for the big hit 29er.
    No doubt the Recluse is a sick bike, but let's not all ignore the elephant in the room. Intense has left a huge gap in their line-up. The Tracer has gone full retard/enduro. When my T275a becomes fatigued, my trusted brand no longer has an all mountain option for me. I don't want a trail bike. I have a DH. This is a strange move.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    No doubt the Recluse is a sick bike, but let's not all ignore the elephant in the room. Intense has left a huge gap in their line-up. The Tracer has gone full retard/enduro. When my T275a becomes fatigued, my trusted brand no longer has an all mountain option for me. I don't want a trail bike. I have a DH. This is a strange move.
    Ditto... I was looking forward to buying the new 2017 Tracer, but now I'm looking to other brands, again... With this bike, my guess is that Intense is attempting to appeal to other markets and interests where a more Enduro specific bike is desired. It's just not for me and that's fine - I'll try out some other brands while I hope others now try out Intense for their Enduro needs.

Some background - I own a 2016 T275c and it's been my favorite all-time bike for where I ride in Phx. I also own a 2017 Switchblade thanks to Intense releasing the Primer when I was looking for a replacement to the 29" Carbine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Jeff Stieber has said they purposely didn't go full thoroughbred race bike with the tracer because it would detract from the DNA of the tracer brand being a good trail bike. Many reviews have pegged it exactly where Intense intended; A gravity biased all mountain bike.

Enduro mag:
    Ridden on your home trails or some gnarly race tracks, the Tracer cuts a fine figure and rides superbly. The geometry is super well calibrated and that JS Tuned rear suspension design works with sublime efficiency.

Bike mag:
    If youíre lucky enough for your local terrain to demand it, the Tracer is worth splurging for. Itís capable enough to be your big bike, and versatile enough to be your only bike.

Vital:
    ...and would be suitable for any rider who prefers the thrill of the descent and doesn't mind earning it.

Bikeradar:
    ...itís immediately obvious that itís a very well mannered bike uphill despite this and the 13.1kg mass is respectable when running such chunky rubber. The feel through the pedals is neutral and while youíll probably want to engage the climbing switch on the Float rear shock for long climbs, even in open itís not a bobbing pig by any means. Of course, climbing isnít really what this bike is about and once itís time to apply your goggles and launch yourself down the trail, the Tracer starts to come alive.

I can't wait to demo one and decide for myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Don't see the issue. Geo is similar to Nomad and Capra (except reach obviously) and both of these can be ridden as all mountain. Hell, a capra was my daily bike for a year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ryknown View Post
    Ditto... I was looking forward to buying the new 2017 Tracer, but now I'm looking to other brands, again... With this bike, my guess is that Intense is attempting to appeal to other markets and interests where a more Enduro specific bike is desired. It's just not for me and that's fine - I'll try out some other brands while I hope others now try out Intense for their Enduro needs.

Some background - I own a 2016 T275c and it's been my favorite all-time bike for where I ride in Phx. I also own a 2017 Switchblade thanks to Intense releasing the Primer when I was looking for a replacement to the 29" Carbine.
    Carbine 29 replacement is next.

You're missing out with the primer though. Stick a pike 150 and overshock it to 57mm / 148mm stroke / travel and this is one hell of a bike. Destroys the carbine 29 of old. So stiff...

Breaking parts
    I feel I have seen this color palette before...2017 Tracer-trapper_1.gif

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Carbine 29 replacement is next.

You're missing out with the primer though. Stick a pike 150 and overshock it to 57mm / 148mm stroke / travel and this is one hell of a bike. Destroys the carbine 29 of old. So stiff...
    I have read some good feedback on that bike. Does that void the warranty (overshock)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have read some good feedback on that bike. Does that void the warranty (overshock)?
    Apparently not. From what I have read as long as the longer stroke shock gives clearance at full compression then they are ok with it. Unlike Santa Cruz who just say point blank that the overshocked Hightowers are voided. Worth checking if you are concerned but I'm not....

mtbr member
    I have been waiting on this bike for about 6 months, after I sold my 2015 275c. Now I'm thinking an ACV with 29s might be the way to go... if I could just get over the yellow/brown color.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    I have been waiting on this bike for about 6 months, after I sold my 2015 275c. Now I'm thinking an ACV with 29s might be the way to go... if I could just get over the yellow/brown color.
    Don't fight it knty, loyalty really doesn't amount for much in the long run. Believe me, I put my ass on the line for my country and received nothing in return. There is nothing in this world worth being loyal to, other than your family and heritage. Life is too short to be catering to the whims of others with differing priorities.

I also waited for a long time, with $$ in hand, for the new Tracer. Would likely have bought a Pro build, but couldn't wait. Picked up a 2016 T275A foundation when it went on sale for 30% off. Love the looks. It has Boost and a threaded BB, neither of which existed on the carbon frame for an additional $1400 that didn't look as good.

Got a 9point8 150mm dropper and paid for an ElevenSix coil shock (overkill, but it can be modded for other frames).

Will continue upgrades until I run across a better frame that fits my style.

Just can't handle the yellow crap and need a good climber.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Never go full Enduro.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Are you not interested in the new tracer because the less than glowing review on its climbing capacity from RC? Or is it color? It seems there is a lot of people that are very concerned/upset with the new tracer for one reason or another. But I don't understand?

if what RC said is true, They made the Tracer have no limitations on the rear suspension going down hill. In doing so they may have sacrificed some climbing praleass and needs the climb switch to climb efficient? I'm sure the guys at PB know how to set up suspension but they test what is given to them and they report on that product. Maybe they they were given a shock that was an "off the shelve" shock and not properly tuned for the new bike and new suspension design. When I got my hands on the first tracerC it was from the first batch of bikes they made and I got a shock that did not have the proper tune, and the bike rode like crap. I could get it to climb ok or go down hill well, but not both. Also this bike might ride completely different/with a coil. It can change a bike into a completely different animal. The 2014 nomad is an example of this. Before you make a decision I would wait till a few of us get our hands on a frame and try getting some time playing around with different things. But I under stand if you are going to spend this much dough on a bike you should be able to have your cake and eat it too

About the ACV, If your looking to just ride 29ers and not plus tires(2.8 27.5 wont fit) why not build a primer with 150-160 fork. If your just buying a frame ask intense if they will sell you a 2.25 stroke shock. Or that's a easy swap out after. A 150/160 front and 145/150 rear primer makes for a bike that can go uphill and down hill pretty darn fast!

mtbr member
    Nice info

mtbr member
    Quick review after first ride.

For reference, I live / ride in Sedona and I have spent the past few months on the new Yeti SB5. The SB5c and switch infinity in general provides a very efficient pedaling platform so the bar was pretty high in this department for my initial ride on the Tracer. I setup the shock with about 10 psi more than the recommended sag. All of the rebound and compression settings were the standard Fox settings. The weight on my build came in at 28.4 lbs which is almost the same as my SB5c.

I was expecting the bike to climb poorly after reading some of the early reviews. I think I only saw one where the bike was given a good review for its ability to climb the rest not so much. The ride I chose started with a med grade sustained climb, had several steep technical, punchy sections in the middle and ended with a longer fire road type of climb. My first impression was that the bike actually pedaled pretty good. There was a little pedal bob that you donít get from a switch infinity bike like the Yeti but nothing that was not expected for a 165mm bike or that I felt was unacceptable. The bike motored up technical climbs without issue while providing plenty of traction and it never felt heavy or cumbersome. The slack front end would wander just a tad on steep climbs but moving forward a bit which I do when climbing corrects this easily. The only time I found myself using the X2 2-position switch was on the long fire road climb at the end of my ride. Overall I felt it pedaled and climbed as well or better than similar bikes like the Knolly Warden, Santa Cruz Nomad etc..

The bike does accelerate a little slower than the Yeti 5c and some of the shorter travel bikes I have owned. Going from a standstill to high speed takes a little more time and effort as the suspension I feel eats up some of your inputted energy but as I found out the payoff is there. This bikes was obviously built with speed in mind during design. At speed the bike rips. It has a very confident, stable and reliable feeling in and out of turns and thru the rough. The suspension soaks up rock gardens, makes big drops feel like little drops and makes square edge hits feel like they are small speedbumps. I feel like the suspension on this bike is dialed really well for aggressive, fast riding. The only other two bikes I have owned that attack DH the same are both 29ers ďEvil Wreckoning / Specialized EnduroĒ. The little bit that I feel you give up in pedaling and climbing efficiency is made up for in spades when you push the bike hard and ask it to remain calm blasting thru the rough. The front end was easy to pop up when needed and at high speed it felt really stable like a 29er. It was not quite as playful overall as some other bikes like the 5c but some of that is a tradeoff for its extremely confident composure, a lot like the Yeti SB6c which I feel shares this same characteristic.

Overall I like the bike a lot so far. It seems like a bike that will be fun to blast around on. I look forward to playing with the suspension and seeing how much more I can get it dialed into my riding style and taking it to several more trails I am really familiar with.

2017 Tracer-intense.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post

For reference, I live / ride in Sedona and I have spent the past few months on the new Yeti SB5. The SB5c and switch infinity in general provides a very efficient pedaling platform so the bar was pretty high in this department for my initial ride on the Tracer. I setup the shock with about 10 psi more than the recommended sag. All of the rebound and compression settings were the standard Fox settings. The weight on my build came in at 28.4 lbs which is almost the same as my SB5c.

I was expecting the bike to climb poorly after reading some of the early reviews. I think I only saw one where the bike was given a good review for its ability to climb the rest not so much. The ride I chose started with a med grade sustained climb, had several steep technical, punchy sections in the middle and ended with a longer fire road type of climb. My first impression was that the bike actually pedaled pretty good. There was a little pedal bob that you donít get from a switch infinity bike like the Yeti but nothing that was not expected for a 165mm bike or that I felt was unacceptable. The bike motored up technical climbs without issue while providing plenty of traction and it never felt heavy or cumbersome. The slack front end would wander just a tad on steep climbs but moving forward a bit which I do when climbing corrects this easily. The only time I found myself using the X2 2-position switch was on the long fire road climb at the end of my ride. Overall I felt it pedaled and climbed as well or better than similar bikes like the Knolly Warden, Santa Cruz Nomad etc..

The bike does accelerate a little slower than the Yeti 5c and some of the shorter travel bikes I have owned. Going from a standstill to high speed takes a little more time and effort as the suspension I feel eats up some of your inputted energy but as I found out the payoff is there. This bikes was obviously built with speed in mind during design. At speed the bike rips. It has a very confident, stable and reliable feeling in and out of turns and thru the rough. The suspension soaks up rock gardens, makes big drops feel like little drops and makes square edge hits feel like they are small speedbumps. I feel like the suspension on this bike is dialed really well for aggressive, fast riding. The only other two bikes I have owned that attack DH the same are both 29ers ďEvil Wreckoning / Specialized EnduroĒ. The little bit that I feel you give up in pedaling and climbing efficiency is made up for in spades when you push the bike hard and ask it to remain calm blasting thru the rough. The front end was easy to pop up when needed and at high speed it felt really stable like a 29er. It was not quite as playful overall as some other bikes like the 5c but some of that is a tradeoff for its extremely confident composure, a lot like the Yeti SB6c which I feel shares this same characteristic.

Overall I like the bike a lot so far. It seems like a bike that will be fun to blast around on. I look forward to playing with the suspension and seeing how much more I can get it dialed into my riding style and taking it to several more trails I am really familiar with.

Name:	intense.jpg 
Views:	1074 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	1121823
    Awesome review, everyone I have sent out on a demo on of these seems to all say it climbs far better than they expected.

Also, Sedona looks awesome right now. I've been meaning to head out there but wasn't sure if there would be snow this time of year.

mtbr member
    Awesome review, everyone I have sent out on a demo on of these seems to all say it climbs far better than they expected.

Also, Sedona looks awesome right now. I've been meaning to head out there but wasn't sure if there would be snow this time of year.
    No snow this time of year. Most we should see is a few rain showers.

No snow this time of year. Most we should see is a few rain showers.
    Thanks for that review!

I think it dispels the idea that the Tracer only good for downhill. That would turn a lot of people off. Maybe it's better to say the climbing efficiency is appropriate for the segment?

mtbr member
    Thanks for that review!

I think it dispels the idea that the Tracer only good for downhill. That would turn a lot of people off. Maybe it's better to say the climbing efficiency is appropriate for the segment?
    I think the pedaling efficiency is where an aggressive geo, 165mm bike should be. Someone shopping for a 165mm travel enduro spec bike I think understands that it will give up some pedaling efficiency compared to a shorter travel less aggressive geo bike in most cases. This bike IMO is by no means a bad pedaling bike or a DH only bike its just a bike that puts a focus in the direction of riding aggressively at high speeds which was intended. Intense clearly calls it "an enduro race machine".

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Name:	intense.jpg 
Views:	1074 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	1121823
    Great review and beautiful photo! Your bike looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Great review and beautiful photo! Your bike looks awesome.
    Which climbs better, the 2017 version Tracer or the previous version? My interpretation of your review and all other reviews of this bike, is the previous version.

mtbr member
    Which climbs better, the 2017 version Tracer or the previous version? My interpretation of your review and all other reviews of this bike, is the previous version.
    If you are asking me I never rode or owned a earlier version of the Tracer. On another note I had a chance to dial in the suspension a bit and the bike felt great today.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If you are asking me I never rode or owned a earlier version of the Tracer. On another note I had a chance to dial in the suspension a bit and the bike felt great today.
    What size tires are you running?

mtbr member
    What size tires are you running?
    I have a ride in on a 2.3 / 2.5 maxxis combo but I am currently running a 2.6 / 2.8 maxxis combo.

mtbr member
    I have a ride in on a 2.3 / 2.5 maxxis combo but I am currently running a 2.6 / 2.8 maxxis combo.
    So a 2.6 fits in the rear of the Tracer and a 2.8 fits a standard Fox? What tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The verdict ain't out. I'll demo one as soon as it dries. Being a former Scott Genius rider, I'm not sold on the X2 (Nude) either. A platform at the sag point is a reduction of travel.
    T275a

mtbr member
    The verdict ain't out. I'll demo one as soon as it dries. Being a former Scott Genius rider, I'm not sold on the X2 (Nude) either. A platform at the sag point is a reduction of travel.
    Which is awesome on a long travel bike.

mtbr member
    So a 2.6 fits in the rear of the Tracer and a 2.8 fits a standard Fox? What tires?
    Yes fits fine. Nobby Nic 2.6 Maxxis Recon 2.6 both fit rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes fits fine. Nobby Nic 2.6 Maxxis Recon 2.6 both fit rear.
    Great! Which wheels would you recommend? What internal width rim?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review, I look forward to hearing for your continued view point. Btw the bike looks great but that picture/scenery is amazing! I'm so gelly, we've gotten over three feet of snow in the last two weeks.

mtbr member
    Great! Which wheels would you recommend? What internal width rim?
    Anything 30-40mm internal works well with 2.6. I prefer to be between 30-35mm internal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Which is awesome on a long travel bike.
    I prefer adding a platform while retaining full travel, like my Cane Creek does.
    T275a

mtbr member
    I prefer adding a platform while retaining full travel, like my Cane Creek does.
    To eaches own... I wouldn't have a Crane Creek on another bike after going through 3 in a couple months. I like flipping the switch on the Fox. It rides higher in the travel, has less travel and makes the bike climb better. IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Do Cane Creek shocks defy the laws of physics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Please explain this in more detail because I do not understand.

You make it sound like you use 0 degrees of sag with your Cane Creek. How can that be?

Maybe I'm just a stupid engineer, but, that would cause shock travel to be stopped abruptly without follow through on the rebound after hitting a low spot or even a bump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Please explain this in more detail because I do not understand.

You make it sound like you use 0 degrees of sag with your Cane Creek. How can that be?

Maybe I'm just a stupid engineer, but, that would cause shock travel to be stopped abruptly without follow through on the rebound after hitting a low spot or even a bump.
    The Cane Creek's climb switch merely adds LSC and LSR to whatever base setting the rider has chosen. This, coupled with the VPP's regressive beginning stroke, adds ample platform for climbing without affecting the suspension's mid to end stroke characteristics or travel length. Sorry for the confusion.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do Cane Creek shocks defy the laws of physics?
    Yes.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nobby Nick 2.8 on a 30mm internal rim, at 25psi just fits for dry conditions.
    2017 Tracer-dsc_7236.jpg

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nobby Nick 2.8 on a 30mm internal rim, at 25psi just fits for dry conditions.

Name:	DSC_7236.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	1123301

mtbr member
    Any idea if a minion 2.8 will fit?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast