9-44 e13 cassette
    Magura Trail Sport brakes less then 6months old
    Renthal gold Carbon bars
    Renthal 50mm stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint88 View Post
    Your build is nice, but define "finally upgraded" and "so much better." What was your previous build that sucked so bad compared to the money you dropped on upgrades?

The Recluse is not even in the same league with the Tracer, so why compare them as if they are competitors? Totally different bikes, and with equal riders, the Tracer will eat the Recluse up all day long on any trail.

I am not talking out of my ass, just wondering ...

Attachment 1192327
    What kind of trails are you talking? The recluse should climb better.. I've heard the Tracer isnt so great going up but it's a very confident bike for jumps/drops.. that's the main reason I'm considering one.. I'm just a little discerned that it's not great at going up. A buddy has the Rocky Slayer which is a burly bike like the tracer and it climbs as good as many other all mountain style bikes while it's an enduro/ bike park class.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam74 View Post
    What kind of trails are you talking? The recluse should climb better.. I've heard the Tracer isnt so great going up but it's a very confident bike for jumps/drops.. that's the main reason I'm considering one.. I'm just a little discerned that it's not great at going up. A buddy has the Rocky Slayer which is a burly bike like the tracer and it climbs as good as many other all mountain style bikes while it's an enduro/ bike park class.

I’ve had a Recluse and Tracer. The Recluse climbs better no doubt and is way more snappier but the Tracer climbs almost as good for not giving anything up on the downs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    I’ve had a Recluse and Tracer. The Recluse climbs better no doubt and is way more snappier but the Tracer climbs almost as good for not giving anything up on the downs.

My goal is to get the wife into mtn biking so I was hoping the tracer was good enough that she could ride the primer and I'd ride the tracer and not be winded or just be bobbing trying to get a climb. I'm far from a 160 pound pro and came from DH racing so the tracer would be fun for jump lines and north shore style trails

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

I don't want to fully judge the Recluse based on one demo ride, but I am pretty sure I gave you a pretty detailed review of why I chose the Tracer over the Recluse. Maybe that was someone else though. The Tracer, at least in the build I bought, climbs very well and it destroys the Recluse on the downs & gnar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    Took my son out after work yesterday for his maiden voyage on his new Tracer. Barely made it back to the truck in the dark...had a little too much fun and lost track of light.

Attachment 1125732
    Question goes to all but Fletch seemed to be a good person to ask.

I'm 5'7.5 - I rather go smaller. Is getting a small frame tracer pushing it too much or would I be fine? I've sat on a few (not intense) medium frames and I'd like them smaller. They felt too long.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tristam84 View Post
    Question goes to all but Fletch seemed to be a good person to ask.

I'm 5'7.5 - I rather go smaller. Is getting a small frame tracer pushing it too much or would I be fine? I've sat on a few (not intense) medium frames and I'd like them smaller. They felt too long.
    I'm 5'8" and normally ride a medium. On the Tracer, Recluse, and Spider I prefer a size Large. I ride fairly aggressively and prefer a longer reach and wheelbase for stability on fast descents. That being said, a medium fits very well overall and I think would be spot on for you. It is all personal preference but I think a small would be too small for you, many people I know on smalls are 5'1" - 5'5"

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm 5'8" and normally ride a medium. On the Tracer, Recluse, and Spider I prefer a size Large. I ride fairly aggressively and prefer a longer reach and wheelbase for stability on fast descents. That being said, a medium fits very well overall and I think would be spot on for you. It is all personal preference but I think a small would be too small for you, many people I know on smalls are 5'1" - 5'5"
    Cheers Fletch. I've gone for a medium. Expert spec. All black :-) The guys at intense said the same, I'm too big for a small - but perfect for a medium.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tristam84 View Post
    Cheers Fletch. I've gone for a medium. Expert spec. All black :-) The guys at intense said the same, I'm too big for a small - but perfect for a medium.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Cable routing -

Hi all,

quick question, sorry if it has been discussed...
    I just got a tracer NM frame, and the cable routing holes are 2 at left and 1 at right side... I run brakes left/rear.. are all Intense frames the same regarding the holes ?? I would have to send the dropper cable at the same side (left side) that sucks....

cheers
    18 Intense Tracer NM
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

2017 Tracer 1 Year in

Thought I'd give a review of my 2017 Tracer Pro after close to a year.
    My Previous bike was a V1 Bronson so I noticed a big improvement in the DH straight away. Love the handling of this bike!
    The rear suspension of course is not as easy to boost stuff on the trail with, but far better in the chunder, and forgiving of mistakes.

Highs
    -Fox Fork - its only the 3 position ghetto Fit4 with the 2017 rod neg chamber equaliser but feels great the faster it is pushed and has been good in the rocks, if a little harsh when not going for it;
    -Handling - despite the longer wheel base and slacker HA than the Bronny the bike is easy to hustle through the tight stuff, and doesn't feel much less manoeuvrable than the bronson;
    -Paint - The red paint has held up pretty well considering all the rocks that I have heard hitting the frame;
    -Frame stiffness - rigid as, most if not all all flex seems to be in the wheels as far as I can tell
    -Shock - X2 performance is great when working
    -Love the E13 tyres for front grip;
    -E13 rear cassette is light and holding up well;
    -good quality linkage hardware;
    -Reverb B2 has been flawless
    -no creaks

Lows
    -X2 performance shock - 2 rebuilds under warranty due to "squelch" and bottom out perhaps due to 250PSI max pressure limit and 108kg geared up rider
    -Next cranks - OEM variant, Alloy spindle insert came unglued from carbon crank arm within a month, replaced with turbine alloy and no probs since;
    -E13 rear rim - dinged up and spoke broken in the first couple of months, thicker spokes, EX511's and a cushcore in the rear now;
    -E13 rear hub - Hub axle sleeve broke, replaced under warranty with "new" design, so far so good; Wish they were 32 hole not 28;
    -linkage bearing notchy from the get go, grease applied but 1 is now toast. Easily and cheaply replaced so no biggie;
    -Guide RS brakes a bit pissweak;

Thankgod for the great warranty!

Bike has gained close to a kilo with alloy cranks, cushcore and more heavy duty rims/spokes tyres, but it seems that I have ironed out all the bugs and (touch wood) at the point where nothing much else will break.

The only thing I would really bother upgrading from herein is some carbon wheels eventually.

mtbr member
    Have had this for just over a year, currently waiting for a 2019 factory DHX2 to replace the Factory Float X2.

considering putting cushcore in aswell

- Renthal Fatbar Carbon
    - Renthal Stem
    - FSA Headset
    - Saint Brakes
    - 203mm Ice Tech rotors
    - Shimano XT Groupset
    - 2018 Fox Factory 36
    - 2018 Fox Factory X2
    - Fox Transfer dropper - Kashima coated
    - Stan’s Flow MK3 on Stan’s Neo Hubs
    - Ergon Saddle
    - Ergon grips
    - Deity TMAC pedals

mtbr member
    Just saw the new 2019 frames on the website. Love the colors and design but what the hell is up with the Expert price? 4400 for a Yari and M1900 wheels?? Why would anyone get a “expert” over a foundation?? Foundation is 1000 cheaper and pretty much the same. I would argue it’s even a better build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'll have to look, just a color update and no geometry changes?

mtbr member
    I'll have to look, just a color update and no geometry changes?

Yup, just colors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    Just saw the new 2019 frames on the website. Love the colors and design but what the hell is up with the Expert price? 4400 for a Yari and M1900 wheels?? Why would anyone get a “expert” over a foundation?? Foundation is 1000 cheaper and pretty much the same. I would argue it’s even a better build.

There are a couple other differences like the dropper post, stem, handlebars, brakeset, and the drivetrain (GX vs NX).

One thing we wanted to focus on for the new Tracer was having a standardized frame throughout all builds. Now you will notice that all of the frames from Factory to Foundation are the same. We've gone with what we believe is the best optimized carbon layup for this bike and offer it on all builds with a carbon top link (black).

mtbr member
    How does the 2018 tracer ride with a dhx2 on it? I’ve seen a couple of posts which don’t seem to give me much hope

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    How does the 2018 tracer ride with a dhx2 on it? I’ve seen a couple of posts which don’t seem to give me much hope
    I really like the Tracer with a coil. I haven't rode it with a DHX2 so I can't comment on that shock but I have rode it with a DB Coil IL and really liked it once I got it dialed in.

The Float X2 is a pretty solid air shock and I like the adjustability so I would go back and forth between the X2 and the Coil depending on where I was riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've read this whole thread with great interest as my Tracer en route to the LBS as I type. I'm getting the 2018 Pro build in black as a crash replacement for my Spider. I was looking for a all-mountain/enduro complement to my Kona Honzo Ti. Like some others in the thread have mentioned, some of the reviews made me concerned about climbing but have been reassured by reading more reviews like the ones on Singletrack, Enduro (Nomad comparison), and Bike. It's interesting how much they seem to differ. I am more concerned about tech climbing and grip than efficiency in a bike like this and living in Phoenix where every descent is earned and often rocky or loose. It seems the Tracer is a good option for tech climbing and grip at the very least, especially if I wind up with a 2.6 tire in the back.

https://singletrackworld.com/2017/02...ry-first-ride/
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/review-intense-tracer/
    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/intense-tr...-nomad-review/

Another perspective comes from the Linkage Design blog which suggests the Tracer has "Impeccable Pedaling Efficiency" according to the analysis. Use Google translate.

Linkage Design: Resultados de la búsqueda de tracer

Maybe, as some have suggested, it comes down to shock tune. I am looking forward to finding out for myself, hopefully later this week.

Regardless, it's worth stating that most of us probably bought this bike to shred descents rather than to slide our spandex upon so I am very confident it will not disappoint in that respect as all seem to agree.

mtbr member
    I really like the Tracer with a coil. I haven't rode it with a DHX2 so I can't comment on that shock but I have rode it with a DB Coil IL and really liked it once I got it dialed in.

The Float X2 is a pretty solid air shock and I like the adjustability so I would go back and forth between the X2 and the Coil depending on where I was riding.
    Ended up putting the dhx2 on my tracer and I love it

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi I have a 2018 Tracer and just recently bought new Fox X2 for it. But the DU bushings are the wrong size for the front/top side. Would anyone know the exact size I need to order?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This is from the manual, but occasionally some people report needing 0.2mm shorter than the manual states on one end or the other so it might be best to confirm with Intense:

Shock – 216mm x 63.5mm (8.5” x 2.5”), 22mm x 6mm and 22mm x 8mm reducers.

Regarding pedaling efficiency comments posted further above, sometimes the theoretical commentary on the Linkage Design site doesn’t quite match up with reality. Or rather, that’s their opinion (based entirely on a theoretical computer analysis) and well, opinions do vary. Not to say the bike doesn’t pedal good for it’s intended purpose, but don’t expect it pedal anywhere near as •impeccably• as a Striker XC bike ...

mtbr member
    One is 21.8mm the other is 22.2mm from memory the 8mm one was 21.8mm can’t remeber tho.

The manual is wrong

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    There’s a potential debate about whether it’s the manual or manufacturing, seems rather odd for it to be all over the place on various frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    This is from the manual, but occasionally some people report needing 0.2mm shorter than the manual states on one end or the other so it might be best to confirm with Intense:

Shock – 216mm x 63.5mm (8.5” x 2.5”), 22mm x 6mm and 22mm x 8mm reducers.

Regarding pedaling efficiency comments posted further above, sometimes the theoretical commentary on the Linkage Design site doesn’t quite match up with reality. Or rather, that’s their opinion (based entirely on a theoretical computer analysis) and well, opinions do vary. Not to say the bike doesn’t pedal good for it’s intended purpose, but don’t expect it pedal anywhere near as •impeccably• as a Striker XC bike ...
    it pedals great. I use the climb switch with a coil shock.. but with the air shock it pedals very very good..
    18 Intense Tracer NM
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My pro build XL with VP Harrier pedals, Stans, DHRII 2.4 front, Ardent 2.4 rear, and no Huck Norris came in right at 31lbs. I am 6'2" with long legs and short arms and am running the saddle all the way forward on the rails and the fit is perfect.

My initial impression after 1.5 rides is that it is a freaking ripper. Now, I am coming off a Honzo for the last 9mo and my biggest bike prior has been a Spider, so it is like comparing apples and oranges, I have to admit. That said, it obviously shreds descents being both precise and nimble as well as calm and stable.

I have been pleasantly surprised so far by the climbing. Some bobbing but I think I can improve on that with adjusting my shock pressure and LSC. I really don't care about absolute efficiency anyways as I ride rocky, techy AZ single track and rarely find myself spinning up fire roads. Technical climbing has been great. Much better than on a hard tail despite the Tracer being low and slack (the Honzo and Spider are both pretty low and slack too). Getting Huck Norris's installed and lowering my pressures will help too. Some pedal strikes but I have added a little shock pressure so that should help.

My pro build XL with VP Harrier pedals, Stans, and no Huck Norris came in right at 31lbs.

Compared to the bikes I recently demoed I like it better than the Scott Genius, Pivot 5.5, Pivot Switchblade (29), and Kona Process 27 and 29. The jury is still out on if I prefer it to the Scott Ransom as I get the Tracer further dialed in. The trade off compared to 29ers is as expected with worse rollover but is more nimble. I didn't want the 445 chain stays of the Carbine. I just wish it had a bottle cage mount but I'll probably run this on the lower downtube, which I've found to work wonderfully on other bikes...

SKS-Germany 11313 Anywhere Bicycle Attachment Water Bottle Mount

So far, I am super stoked on it and would recommend it to anyone wanting an enduro or all mountain bike.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi guys!

I'm looking a new bike and tracer is in my short list. I know that Tracer is a beast when going down, but how good is for longer rides, like 3hours or more? I did drive Radon Swoop (170mm rear and front) for long day and it was more than fine for me, so it is reasonable to think that Tracer is as good?

What about air shock vs coil in a tracer? What do you prefer and why? I have ccdb coil cs which does fit straight to the frame and i wonder how well it would work.

I'm coming from a -14 Heckler with coil shock and 160mm Pike, and i want to get a better downhiller without sacrifing too much of trail riding stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The only thing I can comment on is the coil vs air and your CCDB CS:

My vote is you stay with your CCDB. You won't save a lot of weight going to an air shock, and the climb switch on your CCDB is good...better than the DHX2/X2 for example.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Regarding all-day pedaling and climbing I had a similar concern coming into getting the tracer. My short answer to your concern is that I have found the tracer to be very good peddler especially considering the amount of travel. If you have the terrain to justify a big bike, the tracer is great for long rides.

My long answer to the question involves what I did to mine to get it to this point. My main complaint with the tracer initially was that I was getting a lot of pedal strikes on the rocks here in Phoenix especially on technical climbs. Everything I descend I have to climb to the top of and generally that's on rocky singletrack. To overcome the pedal strikes, I removed the volume spacer from my X2 and went with a higher shock pressure by about 10% of the recommendation, then lowered the low speed compression to compensate for the small bump sensitivity drop due to the high pressure. This allowed it to ride a little bit higher to eliminate pedal strikes but still was sensitive on small bumps. It also had the added benefit of making it a little bit more lively and poppy and I am now eagerly popping off every little trail feature. I haven't noticed a significant drop in cornering performance considering the bottom bracket is a little higher while running the high shock pressure. Probably somebody riding lift-served bike parks or using shuttles may have different priorities, of course. As it is set up now, there is visible bobbing while pedaling but I don't notice it if I'm not looking at the shock. Flipping the climb switch reduces this almost to none. As it is currently set up, it is a monster on technical climbs. It's sensitive over bumps, has great traction and I'm able to pedal through Rocky sections without worrying about pedal strikes. I have never before owned a big Enduro bike but I have demoed a lot and rented a few and the tracer is the best I have ever ridden while descending. That's why almost everybody buys it, of course, including myself. That said, I think it pedals great and you have that much more motivation to get to the descent. And more to your question, I cannot wait to get it out on my next 3 hour + ride with 3000 + miles of climbing and descending. If the trails are technical (blue-black and up) I would definitely ride my tracer on a long ride before my Ti Honzo with 140 mm fork.

mtbr member
    I have had my Tracer since 3-17 with about 1800 miles in the Phoenix area, and have had about 10 pedal strikes total in that time.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks guys. I'm test driving it in next week, so after that i know more. It is Pro build, so it is quite nicely specced. Probably brakes sucks, but it is what it is....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's good to hear. Certainly part of it maybe having come off 170 mm cranks on a hardtail on the last bike that I've been riding regularly. I'm on 175mm now with the tracer. Part of it certainly is technique. Also, I have huge VP harrier pedals and the width of them increases pedal strikes I have found. In the end, since I have my shock setup dialed I've had a lot less pedal strikes. It certainly doesn't bother me anymore or make me have any regrets about the tracer.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kalroot View Post
    That's good to hear. Certainly part of it maybe having come off 170 mm cranks on a hardtail on the last bike that I've been riding regularly. I'm on 175mm now with the tracer. Part of it certainly is technique. Also, I have huge VP harrier pedals and the width of them increases pedal strikes I have found. In the end, since I have my shock setup dialed I've had a lot less pedal strikes. It certainly doesn't bother me anymore or make me have any regrets about the tracer.
    Pedal strikes are not a problem for me, it has only 2 mm lower bb height than in my Heckler.

Yes, it was good bike for sure. It is fairly heavy to pedal uphill because it has e13 trs+ tires on it. Rear suspension did feel quite efficient under power, althought i didn't tune shock (ccdb coil cs) properly. When going down, it felt alive, nimble and capable. Yeah, it is little bit of sluggish when accelerating hard but it is what it is when you have long travel enduro bike... Other than that, driving position was great and it feels like you could drive all day long with it. Brakes, wheelset, drivetrain etc are top notch.

One question tho: can you use oval front chainring?

I haven't made my mind yet, but it was truly a great bike.
    Last edited by LasseV; 01-08-2019 at 09:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have had my Tracer for a year and very rarely get pedal strikes ... and when I have, they have been my fault. The bike has plenty of pedal clearance. That is with an unmodified X2 @ 30% sag.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What tires are you guys using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 3C / DHRII 2.4
    WTB Vigilante light high grip / Trailboss tought fast rolling

mtbr member
    2.8 Rekon.........

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    2.35 e*thirteen TRS Race up front and 2.35 TRS+ in the back.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LasseV View Post
    I'm running DHF/DHR II 2.6 on i35 rims, and find it close to perfect for my use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    2.8 Rekon.........
    Can you post photo? It must be tight...

I had 2.6 Rekon on i30 rim on rear and it was maximum without tire rubs and with enough clearance for mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LasseV View Post
    Instaled michelin wild enduro front MagiX and wild Rock"R 2 gumX... still havent tested it... first time on Michelin
    18 Intense Tracer NM
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilda81 View Post

I had 2.6 Rekon on i30 rim on rear and it was maximum without tire rubs and with enough clearance for mud.
    I don't ride on our trails when there muddy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Tracer-20181229_161039.jpg  

2017 Tracer-20190110_212823.jpg  

Last edited by tom tom; 01-10-2019 at 09:31 PM.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wilda81 View Post

It is pretty tight, but I don't see any signs of wear after one 8 months use (I check regulary). It's about 3 mm clearence on each side to the chainstays, a but less towards the crank. I'll see if I can take som photos during the weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    And what about your setups? Can you share your builds and experiences?

My first (2018) custom setup is here

2017 Tracer-s1600_img_9515.jpg

For this year I changed:
    • wheels: i30rims with DT350 hubs and pillar spokes
    • fork: FOX 36 GRIP2
    • shock: DHX2 (waiting for SAR coil)
    • cranks: Next R 175mm

Overall happy with the bike, but I wanted to try little bit more downhill oriented setup.

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint88 View Post
    2.35 e*thirteen TRS Race up front and 2.35 TRS+ in the back.
    ^^^^ this is my exact setup as well.... LOVE it!!!
    I Hate when the trail trips my bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Can anyone confirm that a new tracer is being proto'd at a few enduro races this year?

slamma

... and if we just ... Finally !

Coming off an 2014 SB95 I am a bit worried about the climbs, but id have to say, smashing the downs will be worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Tracer-tracer.jpg  

Ride with timeless creed

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRAG View Post
    Coming off an 2014 SB95 I am a bit worried about the climbs, but id have to say, smashing the downs will be worth it.
    I'm interested to see how you compare those bikes in climbing

The Downs are too short to really enjoy a bike that's dedicated for downs but jumps we have are all pretty nice

slamma
    First of, i wanna say i don't think there will be much of a contest as far as efficiency goes, but will be interesting for sure, i wont get into the 27.5 vs 29. I need a lot more time to get the Tracer dialed, but Surprisingly the climbing Geo on the tracer feels better for really steep climbs, i dont have to work as hard to keep the front wheel down, (slighter steeper seat angle ? ) and its has tons of traction, the suspension feels better on the tracer when standing ( which was surprising) doesn't wallow, but ultimately when sitting and and pushing it, you can feel the power transfer to the wheel is not as immediate as the SB95 and you can feel more loss in power on the tracer, but its to be expected with 127mm vs 165mm of travel. I have not had a chance to fool to much with LSC and PSI to much, but ill write up a better review when i actually get to ride.
    Ride with timeless creed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234