2017 Tracer - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Tracer

mtbr member
    The black tracer looks BALLS! But put a black bar on there will ya. Is that a large or xl

mtbr member

2017 Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    The black tracer looks BALLS! But put a black bar on there will ya. Is that a large or xl
    Ha ha I actually like the contrast which I never thought I would! And you have no idea how hard it was to find the Renthal Gold Carbon bars!! I had to order them from Spain!!! It was the only place that had any left!! It looks much better in person and that's coming from someone who never liked the gold Renthal bars! Just wait until I get the final touches on her then I'll take some better photos. It's a large frame which I'm pretty happy with being 6'1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    Ha ha I actually like the contrast which I never thought I would! And you have no idea how hard it was to find the Renthal Gold Carbon bars!! I had to order them from Spain!!! It was the only place that had any left!! It looks much better in person and that's coming from someone who never liked the gold Renthal bars! Just wait until I get the final touches on her then I'll take some better photos. It's a large frame which I'm pretty happy with being 6'1.

the rental colors are weird, they look different in every light, people used to tell me that I should have black or blackmand white bars on my nomad. So I got a rasta headset to match mybars2017 Tracer-img_4578.jpg your tracer is one of my favorite ones I've seen
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    the rental colors are weird, they look different in every light, people used to tell me that I should have black or blackmand white bars on my nomad. So I got a rasta headset to match mybarsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4578.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	1157155 your tracer is one of my favorite ones I've seen
    Ha ha, thanks! Yeah they do have different looks in certain light. It's more of a mutted gold if that makes sense. That Nomad looks sweet but yeah those bars look like actual gold unlike the Renthal ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I never realized the performance x2 doesn't have any high speed adjustment like the factory one.

You can upgrade it to full factory spec if and when you want.

mtbr member
    The nomad was a great bike, it was a very versatile beast. I'd say the new tracer is better in pretty much every way. I do need to spend some time on the new nomad.

Yo Rick! Speaking of some one coming from the nomad, how are you getting along with the tracer? Post some pictures of that thing will ya?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    You can upgrade it to full factory spec if and when you want.
    How do you upgrade? How much? Does that include the kashima as well?

mtbr member
    FYI, I've got my size Medium up for sale in the Classifieds. $4400 for local pickup, SoCal. Full warranty. Great bike.
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member
    I believe he likely means the damper in the fork to have the HCLC.

Again I've got a bunch of people asking about but no one has grabbed my large elite tracer. I'd really like to sell it before I go on vacation. So $4,000 before I leave

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    why does the upper link on my 2018 tracer expert say 160 on it? I thought these bikes were 165mm

And where's The metal plate that's supposed to be on the chainstay right by the chainring? Even in the Manuel, it says there's a metal plate there?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk77 View Post
    why does the upper link on my 2018 tracer expert say 160 on it? I thought these bikes were 165mm

And where's The metal plate that's supposed to be on the chainstay right by the chainring? Even in the Manuel, it says there's a metal plate there?!
    Looks like they got rid of the metal plate for the 18s from the online pictures. My 17 also says 160 but guessing that doesn’t have anything to do with the travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Oh gotcha.

Hey does anyone know if the lyrik rc models with the 150/160mm marks on the stanchions, can go up to 170mm with a new air shaft? Or are the stanchions to short?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The 2017 Tracer with a X2 doesn't actually run a 216x63 rear shock, its more like 216x61 as it has a internal stroke limiter inside it. Think this is in it to prevent contact between the reservoir and the underside of the top tube. My ElevenSix is 216x63 and it does run close to the top tube when I am bouncing up and down on it on the bump stop.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Anyone here riding the Tracer with rims with 35 mm inner width?
    I just got my hands on a used frame, and wonder how to spec this beauty. I like the possibility of going semi+ (2,6 or maybe even the smaller 2,8s) but will be able run regular 2,4s as well (Magic Mary, TrailKing etc). Then maybe 35 mm internal will be a bit to much? Considering the Hope 35W wheelset (a bit on the heavy side, but with superb hubs and a very good price).

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by btm View Post
    Anyone here riding the Tracer with rims with 35 mm inner width?
    I just got my hands on a used frame, and wonder how to spec this beauty. I like the possibility of going semi+ (2,6 or maybe even the smaller 2,8s) but will be able run regular 2,4s as well (Magic Mary, TrailKing etc). Then maybe 35 mm internal will be a bit to much? Considering the Hope 35W wheelset (a bit on the heavy side, but with superb hubs and a very good price).
    Im running ibis 742 maxxis dhf 2.5 on the rear. Plenty of clearance works great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What are people running for a dropper post on these? Reason I ask is I'm fighting a creak that is coming from the seat tube area. I thought it was my ks dropper seat clamp area, while I'm waiting for parts I took the one out of my spider and tried it out. Seemed good but after a few miles it started to creak, went away after I raised and lowered it a couple of times. About 7 miles later it came back and worse, tried to lower the seat just a bit and it quieted down but then that didn't matter either. The same post and seat set up don't make a peep in the spider, both 150mm droppers. Any ideas would be great. I've also broken down the pivots, lived and torqued to spec. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Grease the rails on seat? Sometimes that helps to stop creaking.

Has anyone experienced knocking from the shock mounts? I was riding yesterday and kept getting really obnoxious knocking, i think mainly from the rear shock mount/ pivot. That sucker has to be really tight, or it has a tiny amount of play that translates to unbearable rattling and knocking when riding through rough stuff. I've tightened it to spec with a torque wrench but i still can get it to wiggle..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Been there, greased it and then even tried the carbon grip paste. As far as your knock goes I've been told by intense that can be the lower pivot in front of the BB shell. Check your bolt down there, mine was slightly loose only after a few rides. I'm getting a new front triangle since mine has some paint or gel coat chipping off. They said that pivot will create that noise. Call them and ask about it, Chad Duffey is the N America rep and if you call them around 5 pm their time he usually answers. The more they hear about these complaints the more chance there is of them correcting them. There was someone on here that also said a roller bearing in the rear shock pivot really helped the suspension from any binding, I'm going to order one for mine and give it a shot. Keep us posted as to what you find.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by paul c View Post
    There was someone on here that also said a roller bearing in the rear shock pivot really helped the suspension from any binding, I'm going to order one for mine and give it a shot. Keep us posted as to what you find.

The roller bearing shouldn't do much. The Tracer and Carbine are different than the rest of the line in that the shock hardware is keyed to the rear triangle, not the upper link. The bearings in the upper link rotate around the hardware as it goes through the travel. Relatively, there's not much rotation between the hardware and the eyelet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I rode today and I only heard a few a slight knocks on big landings, i might habe just been bottoming out harder than I thought too.. but nothing like yesterday's ride. That pivot even becomes slightly loose, and it's a knock fest! I emailed intense about the issue through their website. We will see if they respond.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    The 2017 Tracer with a X2 doesn't actually run a 216x63 rear shock, its more like 216x61 as it has a internal stroke limiter inside it. Think this is in it to prevent contact between the reservoir and the underside of the top tube. My ElevenSix is 216x63 and it does run close to the top tube when I am bouncing up and down on it on the bump stop.
    Hey @RickDraper How is the Tracer with the ELEVENSIX? I am considering the same setup coming off a 2014 Tracer 275.

Did you have to do any specific mods to prevent it making contact? Where did you get the mounting hardware for the shock, from PUSH?
    Last edited by SRALPH; 10-31-2017 at 09:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Chad from intense contacted me very quickly about the knocking issue. He said the original lower shock mount/pivot bolt was the issue. The new bolts are threaded deeper so the nut doesn't bottom out before getting completely tight. They are sending me new bolts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

2018 the cranks and chainring changed from Raceface to SRAM/Truvativ, the clearance was minimized with the crankset change and the metal plate was removed to allow for the new tolerance.

What I've done on my sons 2018 Tracer is put a piece of clear helicopter tape in that spot, just incase debris/mud gets between the chainring and chain stay area so it won't scratch or rub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The son's new enduro/DH race rig for 2018.

2017 Tracer-img_0215.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    2018 the cranks and chainring changed from Raceface to SRAM/Truvativ, the clearance was minimized with the crankset change and the metal plate was removed to allow for the new tolerance.

What I've done on my sons 2018 Tracer is put a piece of clear helicopter tape in that spot, just incase debris/mud gets between the chainring and chain stay area so it won't scratch or rub.
    Ah gotcha. I put some heli tape there as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That bike looks badass creativefletch!
    Sl frame painted black or non sl frame?

I'd post pics of mine, but this forum sucks on mobile for my phone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Chad is the man, always takes care of my concerns.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here's something to watch out for. I had the upper suspension rocker link off of mine and cleaned it up. I found a crack in it on the inside, not very visible when mounted on the bike. Mine is yellow so it showed up easily. I'd post pics but it sucks to do so from a phone. Crack is near the area where the bar code tag is. They have a new one on its way to me now.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    More tyre-clearance quiestions from me. Anyone tried if Maxxis DHR-II 2.8 or Rekon+ 2.8 fits in the rear triangle mounted on a rim with ID 35 mm?

I have measured the width between the chainstays to 75 mm, and read that DHF 2.8 is close to 70 mm on a ID 35 rim. Sounds like it will be a bit tight, but real life experience beats all internet guessing

Or should I just forget about this semi+ thing, and go with DHF WT 2.5 in front and DHR-II WT 2.4 rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a dhr wt 2.4 rear. It seams like there is a bit of room left for a bigger tire. I'll try and get some measurements later.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Some measurements would've been great

What's your inner rim width?

And of course, how are you find the DHR WT?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    30mm inside measurement.

The tire is great, especially in the downs. It's the double down casing so its a bit heavy. Typical, predictable maxxis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got a 10-11mm measurement from the very edge of the bigger side knob, to the chainstay. And probably about 8mm from the center knob to the inside center pivot. That one is a little harder to measure but the side knobs are a solid measurement. And my tires are still fairly new.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That bike looks badass creativefletch!
    Sl frame painted black or non sl frame?

I'd post pics of mine, but this forum sucks on mobile for my phone.
    Non SL Frame (2018 Expert/Foundation Frame), with pro build components.

mtbr member
    Next year, Intense for God's sake, make a bike in Intense Red with white letters.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Can anyone tell me how the Tracer works with a coil shock? I thought it is a falling rate linkage design and in general doesn't that not pair well with coils? I am new to the idea of coils, but rode one the other day and it blew me away.

I would still want the bike to climb decently with a coil and not blow through its travel.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I thought the new tracer was supposed to be , just enough anti squat to climb and progressive at the end stroke?

I've been trying to make my tracer work with a fox dhx2 for weeks now.. first one was with a 525# sls spring, felt great until medium hits and it would bottom out. Then it blew the seals, fox warrantied the shock but sent a bad shock right outta the box. So then they sent another one, I talked with them on the phone and they sent a free black 550# (non sls) spring to try. I just rode today on it and it is stiffer and great mid support, but still bottoming out to much on the stuff I ride and I am two clicks away from being full stiff on hs compression. Its almost as stiff as using the climb switch. It looks like they don't even make a 600# sls spring, so I'm gonna send it back and request they exchange it with a float x2.

I'm 205/210 lbs loaded to ride.

That's been my experience so far. I've had 4 dh bikes and never went above a 525 spring. And that was on a newer carbon s works demo, known to be linear.. most dh bikes I was riding 450# springs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I don't own a Tracer but I'm the same weight as you. In looking at the JS tune leverage, the Tracer should be alright with a coil shock. The falling rate (high leverage to low leverage) finishes up with a more progressive end to the travel. I'm not sure why you're bottoming out that shock like crazy. That HS is cranked up pretty high too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I thought the exact same thing.. but I'm tired of F'ing with it.. You know what works really, really well! The stock monarch+ rc3 hv. Haha. I was just out riding with it and once again, thinking, you know this shock is actually really good. I've got a good pressure going on, because I only bottomed harshly once, on a big drop/ g out spot where I expected it. I might put another volume spacer in and drop the pressure 5psi to be dialed.

mtbr member
    Here’s an updated picture of my Tracer with some new decals and Loam Wolf goodies! Really like the orange and black!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well I have about 4 rides on the new front triangle and upper shock link (old link was cracked) and the bike is as silent as can be. Such a fun bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Andrew that tracer looks SICK!!

How many volume spacers are you guys running in the float x2 and what weight are you?

I'm trying to get fox to trade my dhx2 for a float. Because I keep bottoming.

Also finding out that my tracer rides better in the trail and even the climb mode on the monarch. The descend mode rides, really deep in the travel..
    Last edited by Dirk77; 11-25-2017 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well, if you're heavier like myself don't look at the x2. These are the shocks that the canisters were blowing apart when they first came out. Fox had a recall and put a thicker walled canister on it but also lowered the max PSI to 250. I weigh 245 and have been running mine at 270 with out an issue, I also added one volume spacer so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm about 210 loaded. I need to drop 10/15lbs..

mtbr member
    Andrew that tracer looks SICK!!

How many volume spacers are you guys running in the float x2 and what weight are you?

I'm trying to get fox to trade my dhx2 for a float. Because I keep bottoming.

Also finding out that my tracer rides better in the trail and even the climb mode on the monarch. The descend mode rides, really deep in the travel..
    I already blew my x2 shock after a month of use! Took a month to get back! But feels awesome now! Definitely need to add some spacers as I’m running zero right now. I weigh around 200 geared up and mine is around 240 for 25% sag if I remember correctly.

Well, if you're heavier like myself don't look at the x2. These are the shocks that the canisters were blowing apart when they first came out. Fox had a recall and put a thicker walled canister on it but also lowered the max PSI to 250. I weigh 245 and have been running mine at 270 with out an issue, I also added one volume spacer so far.

Exactly

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hmmm... and I was literally just reading a review on the dvo topaz. It looks pretty sweet! Anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Can anyone send me info about headset type? I ordered Tracer SL frame and I would like to buy headset in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Upper: ZS44/28.6

Lower: EC49/40

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thank you. So same as for previous generation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vangel View Post
    just finished building and took it out fo the first ride today....so exciting.
    actual frame weight (with shock rear axle and seat colar) is 3.1 kg
    What size? My XL is 2.84kg without shock (shock cca 550g?).

2017 Tracer-photo_2017-12-22_00-42-46.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My M frame with shock, rear Axel, Seat colar, stickers and invisiframe is 3,255 kg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anyone with M size and fox dhx2/x2? Thinking about piggyback and blue knob clearance in the frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alois Rössler View Post
    Anyone with M size and fox dhx2/x2? Thinking about piggyback and blue knob clearance in the frame...
    Yes I know someone that has a med with dh coil and loves it, no problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    ... and X2 is standard for the SL frame option, so don't hesitate to use it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I would like to register my frame on the intense webiste. Can anyone help me identify the serial number?

There is sticker with three rows + date. Something like that:

29xxxx
    SU-170xxxxx
    VN17Dxxxxx
    YYYY/MM/DD

Which one is S/N?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wilda81 View Post
    I would like to register my frame on the intense webiste. Can anyone help me identify the serial number?

There is sticker with three rows + date. Something like that:

29xxxx
    SU-170xxxxx
    VN17Dxxxxx
    YYYY/MM/DD

Which one is S/N?
    It is the VN

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    And guys.. .does complete bike comes with tubeless sealant allready in tire and ready to go?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I bought a 2018 expert build. It did not come with sealant or set up tubeless. Mine came with tubes and really cheesy maxxis tires, that were extremely thin side walls. Had to change tires first thing.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, great for me. i dont like tubeless and i dont trust non-exo version and have something including Onza in my mind

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    And guys.. .does complete bike comes with tubeless sealant allready in tire and ready to go?
    I bought a 2017 factory build and it came set up tubeless and ready to roll.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Unfortunately we are not permitted to ship tubeless. Also, there is a great video on our site that shows how to set up the bike once it’s received. The process should take the average rider 30-45 minutes.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey,
    Sick bikes! I was hoping to pick up a used N4 or Firebird frame, but getting jack of waiting so putting a Tracer on the maybe list.
    I haven't seen one in person and was wondering about the rear axle, I see some reviewers commenting you need to remove 1 or 2 screws before removing the axle. Seems like a pain (i dont have a bike rack so pull the wheels off to fit in the back of the car for each ride).
    Has anyone managed to fit a standard Dt swiss like thru axel in? Having not seen one in person Im not sure this is even possible.
    And how are people getting on with this bike? Blowing minds?
    Thanks!
    Ben from Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Tracer-qr218a00-black.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    ^ That would be nice. I also need to remove both tires to get the bike in my car. On the rear axle you need to loosen one and then unscrew the other to get the axle out. Then when you put the wheel back on, you need to torque each to spec. Kind of a pain overall, but it is one of those things I will get used to after awhile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ya the rear axle design is kind of a pain... i can't see that dt Swiss axle working with their system. The best, simple, twist free axle I've see, so far was on my 2016 carbon demo frame. It was square on both ends so it would twist, then just loosen one bolt on the drive side and it slid right out.
    Last edited by Dirk77; 01-08-2018 at 06:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Can't say for sure on the Tracer but on the 2017 Primer, you can use an after-market axle like that DT Swiss, Robert Axle Project, etc...
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Can't say for sure on the Tracer but on the 2017 Primer, you can use an after-market axle like that DT Swiss, Robert Axle Project, etc...
    I’m using a dt Swiss quick release on my wife’s recluse and it seems to work great. I used the stock axles on my primer and tracer. My primer seemed to give me more of a fuss but over all not that big of a deal

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I can't fit that 5mm hex bit from torque wrench that was inluded to drive side of rear trough axle. Does anyone have same issue? That bit seems to be too short. Thank in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I can't fit that 5mm hex bit from torque wrench that was inluded to drive side of rear trough axle. Does anyone have same issue? That bit seems to be too short. Thank in advance
    Same here. Fortunately I have a long 5mm from another torque wrench set, so I use that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm not sure what they sent since I got mine back in July but I had to use a snap on 5 mill socket to get in there. You just need one that is long enough, doesn't have to be a snap on. The bit sticks out about 1.25" or more from the base of the socket.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    yes, looks like same problem thanks for confirmation

mtbr member
    I'm relatively local to Intense and after reaching out to them via email, they set me up with a 2018 Tracer (Pro build I believe) to take out today. The build felt about 31 lbs but was built up with an XO Eagle drivetrain and as a "sit and spinner" on the climbs, it worked great; better than expected for sure. This is the exact reason I ignore reviews for the most part and I *never* look at numbers on charts trying to guess/assume how a bike will ride. I like to get on a bike and ride it before making any judgments.

All I have to say is that I'm looking for a bike to replace my V1 Mach 6 and after rides on the Yeti SB6C and a couple other bikes, the new Tracer is at the top of my list. With Intense's new pricing model, it's almost a no brainer but I'm going to try the new Mach 6 before making a final decision. The Tracer climbed great for the type of bike it is, it tracked well and it railed corners better than any bike I've ever ridden. While this demo was porky at 31 lbs, my build will be closer to 28 which will help even more.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 01-27-2018 at 06:42 PM.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    I'm relatively local to Intense and after reaching out to them via email, they set me up with a 2018 Primer (Pro build I believe) to take out today. The build felt about 31 lbs but was built up with an XO Eagle drivetrain and as a "sit and spinner" on the climbs, it worked great; better than expected for sure. This is the exact reason I ignore reviews for the most part and I *never* look at numbers on charts trying to guess/assume how a bike will ride. I like to get on a bike and ride it before making any judgments.

All I have to say is that I'm looking for a bike to replace my V1 Mach 6 and after rides on the Yeti SB6C and a couple other bikes, the new Tracer is at the top of my list. With Intense's new pricing model, it's almost a no brainer but I'[m going to try the new Mach 6 before making a final decision. The Tracer climbed great for the type of bike it is, it tracked well and it railed corners better than any bike I've ever ridden. While this demo was porky at 31 lbs, my build will be closer to 28 which will help even more.
    Nice to hear your imput. Funny that the bike was so porky. Those e-13 tires don’t help. My tracer elite that I took the eagle off for xo11 speed and put Stan’s aluminum wheels on it after my wife made off with my carbon wheels. I thought the bike set up like that was around 28.5 lbs, everyone that rode it felt it was rode lighter than the 28 lbs. My longest ride on it was a day after riding the lifts and my derailer started to unthread and I didn’t figure it out till after my ride. But even with not having my easiest gear I was able to climb more spots than on any other bike which surprised me because I did those loops on my primer. The Tracer is such a good chose for enduro racers, lift rats and all day all mountain rides it can wear many hats. My wife has her eyes on the green frame

mtbr member
    Nice to hear your imput. Funny that the bike was so porky. Those e-13 tires don’t help. My tracer elite that I took the eagle off for xo11 speed and put Stan’s aluminum wheels on it after my wife made off with my carbon wheels. I thought the bike set up like that was around 28.5 lbs, everyone that rode it felt it was rode lighter than the 28 lbs. My longest ride on it was a day after riding the lifts and my derailer started to unthread and I didn’t figure it out till after my ride. But even with not having my easiest gear I was able to climb more spots than on any other bike which surprised me because I did those loops on my primer. The Tracer is such a good chose for enduro racers, lift rats and all day all mountain rides it can wear many hats. My wife has her eyes on the green frame
    I actually like the Green frame colors better but it doesn't come in the lighter SL frame. There are some good deals for the green version on PB as well.

I read thru the entire thread today, post by post, and it's refreshing to see all the positive reviews regarding how well the Tracer climbs from ACTUAL BUYERS. The sheeple that would have just went off the PB reviews would have never considered the Tracer.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 01-28-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Has anyone tried to fit Maxxis Rekon 2.6" as a rear tire?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think the tracer climbs the same as most other 160+ travel bikes out there.. pb reviewer sounded like he was comparing it to a 130 hightower or something.. any bike with high anti squat that climbs great, is going to get kicked around on the downs, simple as that..

mtbr member
    I think the tracer climbs the same as most other 160+ travel bikes out there.. pb reviewer sounded like he was comparing it to a 130 hightower or something..
    Exactly, based on my all day demo of the 2018 Tracer, I have no idea what the PB (and VitalMTB) reviewers were talking about. I demo'd the bike in an area I know well, have ridden my old Pivot Mach 6 there, a 5010 and lately have been riding my Primer there. The 1st climb is a steady 2 miles and while the bike I was riding was a portly 31+ lb'r, I actually made it up smoother than on my 5010 with the same exact gearing. It could have been I was just feeling better that day too....I was definitely feeling better once I started DOWN because the Tracer was a pure joy. I was sold as I was railing the 1st sweeper/berm and it only got better when the terrain got chunky.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Rode the new Mach 6 today down in St George. Admittedly, not set up the way I would do it (but neither was the Tracer demo) and while it was a touch better on a a fire road climb (not my choice), the Tracer was sooooooooo much nicer going down, popping up stuff, etc...The Mach 6 had the DPX2 rear shock while the Tracer had the Float X2 which made fo0r a stiffer, more business oriented ride while the Tracer was pure fun factor for me. I expect to order a new Tracer next week.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried to fit Maxxis Rekon 2.6" as a rear tire?
    I have 2.8 Rekon's on my 2017

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Any one got any advice on the tracer as compared to say, the spider / recluse on climbing and as an all round 1 bike ride? I need o liberate some cash, so i am going to sell my intense spider with eve wheels. I was looking at an older transition scout- alloy and heavier - as a decent replacement as an all round bike. But a tracer expert has come up for sale half way between the price of the 2. So to the tracer owners here: would you consider it a great everyday bike too, one that you would consider taking on more mellow trails and long day rides etc without being too much bike and too dampening to the fun of the ride? Again in comparison to the bike is mentioned earlier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If gnar gnar trails are in your heart, then you know what the decision must be! It's all a trade off..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If gnar gnar trails are in your heart, then you know what the decision must be! It's all a trade off..

Thanks for the reply. I like a bit of gnar gnar, but i like bit of a long climb too. IS ti a good enough bike as an all-round bike even if not on enduro type downhill trails?

I am moving soon over to Australia, I don't want to fell overbiked everywhere, but i do want a great all rounder to travel with.

Any one with ride time and experience and advice to help me decide? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The 2018 tracer expert is my only bike. I climb local trails a lot. Lots of climbing to get to the downs, on the local spots. It climbs just like every other 160mm bike I've had. Ok, i guess it doesn't climb as good as the 2015 Tracer i had, but it's close. It's a bit much on mellow trails, but there is enough gnar on local spots so it works out perfect. But when you get to the bike park, holy shit!! Its a really fun bike on dh and jump lines. Do you plan on bike parking?

its been five years or so since I've had a bike under 160mm, so i may not be much help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks, good reply. I actually enjoy the all mountain, up down tech stuff, long day rides into the bush, and some nice downhill singletrack too, but I don't go hell for leather downhill or race enduro etc. So i am not looking for a total enduro bike, an all mountain trail bike i guess, that can handle the gnar but also be great to just grab and ride whenever wherever. I also like lighter bikes for climbing - what sort of weight would the tracer be? cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by froutts View Post
    Any one got any advice on the tracer as compared to say, the spider / recluse on climbing and as an all round 1 bike ride? I need o liberate some cash, so i am going to sell my intense spider with eve wheels. I was looking at an older transition scout- alloy and heavier - as a decent replacement as an all round bike. But a tracer expert has come up for sale half way between the price of the 2. So to the tracer owners here: would you consider it a great everyday bike too, one that you would consider taking on more mellow trails and long day rides etc without being too much bike and too dampening to the fun of the ride? Again in comparison to the bike is mentioned earlier.
    My tracer climbed great with a X2 shock, it was in the 27-28 lb range so it was dame light for what kind of bike it was, but it was the way it was set up. Getting your suspension set up properly is key. It can handle all day rides but it’s not going to feel like a snappy 120mm Xc bike and that’s a good thing because than it wouldnt be the down hill monster it is. If your trails are mostly smoother Xc style with technical bits and some gnar here and there maybe a recluse is more your bike. But if you live for the DH and have the terrain the Tracer is Boss! If a tracer was my only bike I think I’d have a DPX2 for Xc/trail rides and a DHX2 coil for park/DH riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    [QUOTE=SRALPH;13399335]Hey @RickDraper How is the Tracer with the ELEVENSIX? I am considering the same setup coming off a 2014 Tracer 275.

I have the ElevenSix on my 2015 T275 and it delivers a huge improvement over the stock Monarch Plus. Improved small bump sensitivity, no more wallow, improved high speed successive-hit performance and much simpler maintenance. The bike is more fun to ride with it on any terrain--- Even on climbs where you think you'd be hurt by the extra weight but it more than makes up for the weight with the improved riding position and performance.

mtbr member

2017 Tracer

Anybody have experience with the Recluse and 17 Tracer?? I have a foundation build tracer with a 170mm Fox 36 and X2. I have no major complaints but sometimes feels like too big of a bike. Not that the bike feels big but the trails don’t seem as fun (ie flow trails, popping off small features, and climbing). So I’m flirting with the idea of getting a used Recluse Elite build. Better components which is a plus besides the grip fork. I like to ride a variety of terrain and do have some rocky terrain living in NM. Enjoy doing jumps and drops 5-6 feet. My main concern is the 140mm rear and how it will feel vs the Tracer. Any thoughts on the two?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well I have a spider and a 2017 tracer. The tracer is a bit slower when climbing but not horrible. Why don’t you try reducing the fork down to 160mm and try it out. That’s what I have on mine.

mtbr member
    Well I have a spider and a 2017 tracer. The tracer is a bit slower when climbing but not horrible. Why don’t you try reducing the fork down to 160mm and try it out. That’s what I have on mine.
    Ya I was actually just thinking about that but not sure if it would be a huge difference. One of the reasons I would like the change also is the upgraded components and a brand new set of the Intense Carbon wheels that he’s never used. I’m tempted to get it and ride it for a few weeks and if I don’t like it sell and keep the Tracer. Just a pain to do it that way. Wish I lived closer to Intense like I used too.

mtbr member

2017 Tracer

Too much talk on here about an XC bike so let’s change the subject! Just upgraded my beast! Wolftooth reverb remote, Ergon SMA3 saddle, Recon wheels w/54t, Magura Trail Sport brakes, and Turbine Cranks 170mm. Gotta say these upgrades make the bike feel so much better! Super happy keeping this over the Recluse. Also enjoying the Recon wheels which I got an awesome deal on and the Magura brakes. They were a pain to set but now have great modulation and power. Also put on some grey camo decals. Not the greatest pics but here you go!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Too much talk on here about an XC bike so let’s change the subject! Just upgraded my beast! Wolftooth reverb remote, Ergon SMA3 saddle, Recon wheels w/54t, Magura Trail Sport brakes, and Turbine Cranks 170mm. Gotta say these upgrades make the bike feel so much better! Super happy keeping this over the Recluse. Also enjoying the Recon wheels which I got an awesome deal on and the Magura brakes. They were a pain to set but now have great modulation and power. Also put on some grey camo decals. Not the greatest pics but here you go!

Your build is nice, but define "finally upgraded" and "so much better." What was your previous build that sucked so bad compared to the money you dropped on upgrades?

The Recluse is not even in the same league with the Tracer, so why compare them as if they are competitors? Totally different bikes, and with equal riders, the Tracer will eat the Recluse up all day long on any trail.

I am not talking out of my ass, just wondering ...

2017 Tracer-20180113_092826.jpg

mtbr member

2017 Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by Clint88 View Post
    Your build is nice, but define "finally upgraded" and "so much better." What was your previous build that sucked so bad compared to the money you dropped on upgrades?

The Recluse is not even in the same league with the Tracer, so why compare them as if they are competitors? Totally different bikes, and with equal riders, the Tracer will eat the Recluse up all day long on any trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180113_092826.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	1192327
    I had the foundation build with the crappy skinny Sun Ringle TR29 rims and very average Shimano BLM 506 brakes. The Silverado Saddle also wasn’t wide enough for my bum and would get back pain if I spun for too long. The Raceface Affect Cranks are nice but who puts a 175mm crank on a DH focused bike these days?? Hardly anyone. The Affects also don’t hold up to scratches and scuff super easily. And I never said the foundation build sucked it just doesn’t hold a candle to what I’m riding now. The bike feels so much more stable with the Recon wheels and wider tires.

And I wasn’t necessarily comparing the Tracer to the Recluse. I purchased a used Recluse Elite build for a cheap price that came with a set of never used Recon wheels. I road the Recluse for the week and enjoyed it but didn’t love it. It climbs well and accelerates like no ones business but still weighed 30 pounds with pedals. So I kept the tires, wheels, and e13 cassette and swapped them over to the Tracer and ended up only paying 500 bucks for all of those after selling the Recluse. Now my Tracer is a little more then half a pound heavier then the Recluse but climbs almost as well and descends way better. So thats why I’m glad I didn’t keep the Recluse and sell the Tracer instead. With those component upgrades the Tracer has turned into one of my favorite bikes I’ve ridden. Is it the best DH bike I’ve ridden?? No that belongs to the Megatrail. Is the Tracer the best climbing bike I’ve ridden? No that belongs to the Yeti SB6. But I feel like the Tracer hits that perfect middle spot of descending and climbing where I’m not wishing for something better.

Plus, I bargain shop and my bike as it sit’s with upgrades is still cheaper then most people paid for the foundation build last year before Intense went direct.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Finaly she's ready to rock. Jeff Steber used 3 (or 2) years to design this beaty, I used 6 months to collect parts and build it. First ride yesterday and "wow", it delivers. Coming from an old Tracer 2 (26 inch) this beauty immediatly felt like home (even though I upsized from M til L, which means reach grow by around 50 mm). Already looking forward to the next ride

2017 Tracer-intense-tracer-2017.jpg2017 Tracer-img_6584.jpg
    Last edited by btm; 05-31-2018 at 02:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well much to my disappointment I’m giving up on my tracer. I’ve either been chasing creaks or flexing since day one. Chad who was at intense was spot on with customer service had me keeping the faith, the new guy Jarrod also seems like a great guy. I’m on my third front triangle, one from a paint issue, second the pivot tube in the down tube came unbonded and also the clear coat had started to peel. Now with the new one as with the other one I notice my drive side crank arm will hit the chain stay when I stand up and pedal. I’m a heavier guy at 240 but I don’t think this should happen. I have crank with a 168 Q factor and the Driver’s arm is spaced a bit further off of the chain stay since I have a wheelz mfg BB with carbon sram gxp xx1 cranks. I love riding it but way too many issues to keep dealing with. Unfortunately time to cut my losses and move on.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Had my second ride on the new Tracer yesterday, a typically westcost of Norway-style, where you climb/push/carry to the top of a mountain and descend more og less the same way. Anyway, the start was very rocky, countinuing uphill, and I was really impressed of how good this bike climb this sort of terrain. I kind of ate it's way up, as long as I kept pedaling. It climbs definitely better than my old Tracer 2 in technical terrain. I guess going from 30/36 to 30/46 on the gearing, and 2.6" wheels on 35 mm IW rims helps, but still.

And down it's just superfast, super confident and still playfull and corners great. Best bike I've ever had, loving it

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have two questions, maybe anyone knows the answers:

* the tightening torque (according the Tracer's manual) of the upper shock mount is 14Nm , but if you look on the part #27 SL in BOM View - there is max screw torque 7Nm

* also in manual are written 22x6 and 22x8mm reducers, but on the bike are installed 21,84mm.

Which values are correct?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    answer from intense tech support: "It depends on the models you have, the NM models go to 14nm and the SL carbon models to 7nm."

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    answer from intense tech support: "It depends on the models you have, the NM models go to 14nm and the SL carbon models to 7nm."
    I thnk you have that backwards. I have the SL, and mine has been at 14Nm since delivery day direct from Intense.

mtbr member
    Anyone looking for a 17 Tracer on the cheap?? Awesome build with Carbon wheels! Let me know!

mtbr member
    What's cheap??

mtbr member

2017 Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by tom erb View Post
    What's cheap??

large
    Fox 36 Fit4
    Fox x2
    Less then 6 month old intense carbon wheels
    Reverb dropper with wolf tooth mechanical dropper
    DHF 2.6 less then 4 months old
    DHF 2.4 rear
    XO1 shifter
    170mm Turbine cranks less then 6 months old
    9-44 e13 cassette
    Magura Trail Sport brakes less then 6months old
    Renthal gold Carbon bars
    Renthal 50mm stem

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180113_092826.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	1192327
    What kind of trails are you talking? The recluse should climb better.. I've heard the Tracer isnt so great going up but it's a very confident bike for jumps/drops.. that's the main reason I'm considering one.. I'm just a little discerned that it's not great at going up. A buddy has the Rocky Slayer which is a burly bike like the tracer and it climbs as good as many other all mountain style bikes while it's an enduro/ bike park class.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam74 View Post
    What kind of trails are you talking? The recluse should climb better.. I've heard the Tracer isnt so great going up but it's a very confident bike for jumps/drops.. that's the main reason I'm considering one.. I'm just a little discerned that it's not great at going up. A buddy has the Rocky Slayer which is a burly bike like the tracer and it climbs as good as many other all mountain style bikes while it's an enduro/ bike park class.

I’ve had a Recluse and Tracer. The Recluse climbs better no doubt and is way more snappier but the Tracer climbs almost as good for not giving anything up on the downs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I’ve had a Recluse and Tracer. The Recluse climbs better no doubt and is way more snappier but the Tracer climbs almost as good for not giving anything up on the downs.

My goal is to get the wife into mtn biking so I was hoping the tracer was good enough that she could ride the primer and I'd ride the tracer and not be winded or just be bobbing trying to get a climb. I'm far from a 160 pound pro and came from DH racing so the tracer would be fun for jump lines and north shore style trails

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

I don't want to fully judge the Recluse based on one demo ride, but I am pretty sure I gave you a pretty detailed review of why I chose the Tracer over the Recluse. Maybe that was someone else though. The Tracer, at least in the build I bought, climbs very well and it destroys the Recluse on the downs & gnar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Took my son out after work yesterday for his maiden voyage on his new Tracer. Barely made it back to the truck in the dark...had a little too much fun and lost track of light.

Attachment 1125732
    Question goes to all but Fletch seemed to be a good person to ask.

I'm 5'7.5 - I rather go smaller. Is getting a small frame tracer pushing it too much or would I be fine? I've sat on a few (not intense) medium frames and I'd like them smaller. They felt too long.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tristam84 View Post
    Question goes to all but Fletch seemed to be a good person to ask.

I'm 5'7.5 - I rather go smaller. Is getting a small frame tracer pushing it too much or would I be fine? I've sat on a few (not intense) medium frames and I'd like them smaller. They felt too long.
    I'm 5'8" and normally ride a medium. On the Tracer, Recluse, and Spider I prefer a size Large. I ride fairly aggressively and prefer a longer reach and wheelbase for stability on fast descents. That being said, a medium fits very well overall and I think would be spot on for you. It is all personal preference but I think a small would be too small for you, many people I know on smalls are 5'1" - 5'5"

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm 5'8" and normally ride a medium. On the Tracer, Recluse, and Spider I prefer a size Large. I ride fairly aggressively and prefer a longer reach and wheelbase for stability on fast descents. That being said, a medium fits very well overall and I think would be spot on for you. It is all personal preference but I think a small would be too small for you, many people I know on smalls are 5'1" - 5'5"
    Cheers Fletch. I've gone for a medium. Expert spec. All black :-) The guys at intense said the same, I'm too big for a small - but perfect for a medium.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tristam84 View Post
    Cheers Fletch. I've gone for a medium. Expert spec. All black :-) The guys at intense said the same, I'm too big for a small - but perfect for a medium.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Cable routing -

Hi all,

quick question, sorry if it has been discussed...
    I just got a tracer NM frame, and the cable routing holes are 2 at left and 1 at right side... I run brakes left/rear.. are all Intense frames the same regarding the holes ?? I would have to send the dropper cable at the same side (left side) that sucks....

cheers
    18 Intense Tracer NM
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

2017 Tracer 1 Year in

Thought I'd give a review of my 2017 Tracer Pro after close to a year.
    My Previous bike was a V1 Bronson so I noticed a big improvement in the DH straight away. Love the handling of this bike!
    The rear suspension of course is not as easy to boost stuff on the trail with, but far better in the chunder, and forgiving of mistakes.

Highs
    -Fox Fork - its only the 3 position ghetto Fit4 with the 2017 rod neg chamber equaliser but feels great the faster it is pushed and has been good in the rocks, if a little harsh when not going for it;
    -Handling - despite the longer wheel base and slacker HA than the Bronny the bike is easy to hustle through the tight stuff, and doesn't feel much less manoeuvrable than the bronson;
    -Paint - The red paint has held up pretty well considering all the rocks that I have heard hitting the frame;
    -Frame stiffness - rigid as, most if not all all flex seems to be in the wheels as far as I can tell
    -Shock - X2 performance is great when working
    -Love the E13 tyres for front grip;
    -E13 rear cassette is light and holding up well;
    -good quality linkage hardware;
    -Reverb B2 has been flawless
    -no creaks

Lows
    -X2 performance shock - 2 rebuilds under warranty due to "squelch" and bottom out perhaps due to 250PSI max pressure limit and 108kg geared up rider
    -Next cranks - OEM variant, Alloy spindle insert came unglued from carbon crank arm within a month, replaced with turbine alloy and no probs since;
    -E13 rear rim - dinged up and spoke broken in the first couple of months, thicker spokes, EX511's and a cushcore in the rear now;
    -E13 rear hub - Hub axle sleeve broke, replaced under warranty with "new" design, so far so good; Wish they were 32 hole not 28;
    -linkage bearing notchy from the get go, grease applied but 1 is now toast. Easily and cheaply replaced so no biggie;
    -Guide RS brakes a bit pissweak;

Thankgod for the great warranty!

Bike has gained close to a kilo with alloy cranks, cushcore and more heavy duty rims/spokes tyres, but it seems that I have ironed out all the bugs and (touch wood) at the point where nothing much else will break.

The only thing I would really bother upgrading from herein is some carbon wheels eventually.

mtbr member
    Have had this for just over a year, currently waiting for a 2019 factory DHX2 to replace the Factory Float X2.

considering putting cushcore in aswell

- Renthal Fatbar Carbon
    - Renthal Stem
    - FSA Headset
    - Saint Brakes
    - 203mm Ice Tech rotors
    - Shimano XT Groupset
    - 2018 Fox Factory 36
    - 2018 Fox Factory X2
    - Fox Transfer dropper - Kashima coated
    - Stan’s Flow MK3 on Stan’s Neo Hubs
    - Ergon Saddle
    - Ergon grips
    - Deity TMAC pedals

mtbr member
    Just saw the new 2019 frames on the website. Love the colors and design but what the hell is up with the Expert price? 4400 for a Yari and M1900 wheels?? Why would anyone get a “expert” over a foundation?? Foundation is 1000 cheaper and pretty much the same. I would argue it’s even a better build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'll have to look, just a color update and no geometry changes?

mtbr member
    I'll have to look, just a color update and no geometry changes?

Yup, just colors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just saw the new 2019 frames on the website. Love the colors and design but what the hell is up with the Expert price? 4400 for a Yari and M1900 wheels?? Why would anyone get a “expert” over a foundation?? Foundation is 1000 cheaper and pretty much the same. I would argue it’s even a better build.

There are a couple other differences like the dropper post, stem, handlebars, brakeset, and the drivetrain (GX vs NX).

One thing we wanted to focus on for the new Tracer was having a standardized frame throughout all builds. Now you will notice that all of the frames from Factory to Foundation are the same. We've gone with what we believe is the best optimized carbon layup for this bike and offer it on all builds with a carbon top link (black).

mtbr member
    How does the 2018 tracer ride with a dhx2 on it? I’ve seen a couple of posts which don’t seem to give me much hope

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    How does the 2018 tracer ride with a dhx2 on it? I’ve seen a couple of posts which don’t seem to give me much hope
    I really like the Tracer with a coil. I haven't rode it with a DHX2 so I can't comment on that shock but I have rode it with a DB Coil IL and really liked it once I got it dialed in.

The Float X2 is a pretty solid air shock and I like the adjustability so I would go back and forth between the X2 and the Coil depending on where I was riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've read this whole thread with great interest as my Tracer en route to the LBS as I type. I'm getting the 2018 Pro build in black as a crash replacement for my Spider. I was looking for a all-mountain/enduro complement to my Kona Honzo Ti. Like some others in the thread have mentioned, some of the reviews made me concerned about climbing but have been reassured by reading more reviews like the ones on Singletrack, Enduro (Nomad comparison), and Bike. It's interesting how much they seem to differ. I am more concerned about tech climbing and grip than efficiency in a bike like this and living in Phoenix where every descent is earned and often rocky or loose. It seems the Tracer is a good option for tech climbing and grip at the very least, especially if I wind up with a 2.6 tire in the back.

https://singletrackworld.com/2017/02...ry-first-ride/
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/review-intense-tracer/
    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/intense-tr...-nomad-review/

Another perspective comes from the Linkage Design blog which suggests the Tracer has "Impeccable Pedaling Efficiency" according to the analysis. Use Google translate.

Linkage Design: Resultados de la búsqueda de tracer

Maybe, as some have suggested, it comes down to shock tune. I am looking forward to finding out for myself, hopefully later this week.

Regardless, it's worth stating that most of us probably bought this bike to shred descents rather than to slide our spandex upon so I am very confident it will not disappoint in that respect as all seem to agree.

mtbr member
    I really like the Tracer with a coil. I haven't rode it with a DHX2 so I can't comment on that shock but I have rode it with a DB Coil IL and really liked it once I got it dialed in.

The Float X2 is a pretty solid air shock and I like the adjustability so I would go back and forth between the X2 and the Coil depending on where I was riding.
    Ended up putting the dhx2 on my tracer and I love it

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi I have a 2018 Tracer and just recently bought new Fox X2 for it. But the DU bushings are the wrong size for the front/top side. Would anyone know the exact size I need to order?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This is from the manual, but occasionally some people report needing 0.2mm shorter than the manual states on one end or the other so it might be best to confirm with Intense:

Shock – 216mm x 63.5mm (8.5” x 2.5”), 22mm x 6mm and 22mm x 8mm reducers.

Regarding pedaling efficiency comments posted further above, sometimes the theoretical commentary on the Linkage Design site doesn’t quite match up with reality. Or rather, that’s their opinion (based entirely on a theoretical computer analysis) and well, opinions do vary. Not to say the bike doesn’t pedal good for it’s intended purpose, but don’t expect it pedal anywhere near as •impeccably• as a Striker XC bike ...

mtbr member
    One is 21.8mm the other is 22.2mm from memory the 8mm one was 21.8mm can’t remeber tho.

The manual is wrong

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    There’s a potential debate about whether it’s the manual or manufacturing, seems rather odd for it to be all over the place on various frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    This is from the manual, but occasionally some people report needing 0.2mm shorter than the manual states on one end or the other so it might be best to confirm with Intense:

Shock – 216mm x 63.5mm (8.5” x 2.5”), 22mm x 6mm and 22mm x 8mm reducers.

Regarding pedaling efficiency comments posted further above, sometimes the theoretical commentary on the Linkage Design site doesn’t quite match up with reality. Or rather, that’s their opinion (based entirely on a theoretical computer analysis) and well, opinions do vary. Not to say the bike doesn’t pedal good for it’s intended purpose, but don’t expect it pedal anywhere near as •impeccably• as a Striker XC bike ...
    it pedals great. I use the climb switch with a coil shock.. but with the air shock it pedals very very good..
    18 Intense Tracer NM
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My pro build XL with VP Harrier pedals, Stans, DHRII 2.4 front, Ardent 2.4 rear, and no Huck Norris came in right at 31lbs. I am 6'2" with long legs and short arms and am running the saddle all the way forward on the rails and the fit is perfect.

My initial impression after 1.5 rides is that it is a freaking ripper. Now, I am coming off a Honzo for the last 9mo and my biggest bike prior has been a Spider, so it is like comparing apples and oranges, I have to admit. That said, it obviously shreds descents being both precise and nimble as well as calm and stable.

I have been pleasantly surprised so far by the climbing. Some bobbing but I think I can improve on that with adjusting my shock pressure and LSC. I really don't care about absolute efficiency anyways as I ride rocky, techy AZ single track and rarely find myself spinning up fire roads. Technical climbing has been great. Much better than on a hard tail despite the Tracer being low and slack (the Honzo and Spider are both pretty low and slack too). Getting Huck Norris's installed and lowering my pressures will help too. Some pedal strikes but I have added a little shock pressure so that should help.

My pro build XL with VP Harrier pedals, Stans, and no Huck Norris came in right at 31lbs.

Compared to the bikes I recently demoed I like it better than the Scott Genius, Pivot 5.5, Pivot Switchblade (29), and Kona Process 27 and 29. The jury is still out on if I prefer it to the Scott Ransom as I get the Tracer further dialed in. The trade off compared to 29ers is as expected with worse rollover but is more nimble. I didn't want the 445 chain stays of the Carbine. I just wish it had a bottle cage mount but I'll probably run this on the lower downtube, which I've found to work wonderfully on other bikes...

SKS-Germany 11313 Anywhere Bicycle Attachment Water Bottle Mount

So far, I am super stoked on it and would recommend it to anyone wanting an enduro or all mountain bike.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi guys!

I'm looking a new bike and tracer is in my short list. I know that Tracer is a beast when going down, but how good is for longer rides, like 3hours or more? I did drive Radon Swoop (170mm rear and front) for long day and it was more than fine for me, so it is reasonable to think that Tracer is as good?

What about air shock vs coil in a tracer? What do you prefer and why? I have ccdb coil cs which does fit straight to the frame and i wonder how well it would work.

I'm coming from a -14 Heckler with coil shock and 160mm Pike, and i want to get a better downhiller without sacrifing too much of trail riding stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The only thing I can comment on is the coil vs air and your CCDB CS:

My vote is you stay with your CCDB. You won't save a lot of weight going to an air shock, and the climb switch on your CCDB is good...better than the DHX2/X2 for example.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Regarding all-day pedaling and climbing I had a similar concern coming into getting the tracer. My short answer to your concern is that I have found the tracer to be very good peddler especially considering the amount of travel. If you have the terrain to justify a big bike, the tracer is great for long rides.

My long answer to the question involves what I did to mine to get it to this point. My main complaint with the tracer initially was that I was getting a lot of pedal strikes on the rocks here in Phoenix especially on technical climbs. Everything I descend I have to climb to the top of and generally that's on rocky singletrack. To overcome the pedal strikes, I removed the volume spacer from my X2 and went with a higher shock pressure by about 10% of the recommendation, then lowered the low speed compression to compensate for the small bump sensitivity drop due to the high pressure. This allowed it to ride a little bit higher to eliminate pedal strikes but still was sensitive on small bumps. It also had the added benefit of making it a little bit more lively and poppy and I am now eagerly popping off every little trail feature. I haven't noticed a significant drop in cornering performance considering the bottom bracket is a little higher while running the high shock pressure. Probably somebody riding lift-served bike parks or using shuttles may have different priorities, of course. As it is set up now, there is visible bobbing while pedaling but I don't notice it if I'm not looking at the shock. Flipping the climb switch reduces this almost to none. As it is currently set up, it is a monster on technical climbs. It's sensitive over bumps, has great traction and I'm able to pedal through Rocky sections without worrying about pedal strikes. I have never before owned a big Enduro bike but I have demoed a lot and rented a few and the tracer is the best I have ever ridden while descending. That's why almost everybody buys it, of course, including myself. That said, I think it pedals great and you have that much more motivation to get to the descent. And more to your question, I cannot wait to get it out on my next 3 hour + ride with 3000 + miles of climbing and descending. If the trails are technical (blue-black and up) I would definitely ride my tracer on a long ride before my Ti Honzo with 140 mm fork.

mtbr member
    I have had my Tracer since 3-17 with about 1800 miles in the Phoenix area, and have had about 10 pedal strikes total in that time.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks guys. I'm test driving it in next week, so after that i know more. It is Pro build, so it is quite nicely specced. Probably brakes sucks, but it is what it is....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's good to hear. Certainly part of it maybe having come off 170 mm cranks on a hardtail on the last bike that I've been riding regularly. I'm on 175mm now with the tracer. Part of it certainly is technique. Also, I have huge VP harrier pedals and the width of them increases pedal strikes I have found. In the end, since I have my shock setup dialed I've had a lot less pedal strikes. It certainly doesn't bother me anymore or make me have any regrets about the tracer.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kalroot View Post
    That's good to hear. Certainly part of it maybe having come off 170 mm cranks on a hardtail on the last bike that I've been riding regularly. I'm on 175mm now with the tracer. Part of it certainly is technique. Also, I have huge VP harrier pedals and the width of them increases pedal strikes I have found. In the end, since I have my shock setup dialed I've had a lot less pedal strikes. It certainly doesn't bother me anymore or make me have any regrets about the tracer.
    Pedal strikes are not a problem for me, it has only 2 mm lower bb height than in my Heckler.

Yes, it was good bike for sure. It is fairly heavy to pedal uphill because it has e13 trs+ tires on it. Rear suspension did feel quite efficient under power, althought i didn't tune shock (ccdb coil cs) properly. When going down, it felt alive, nimble and capable. Yeah, it is little bit of sluggish when accelerating hard but it is what it is when you have long travel enduro bike... Other than that, driving position was great and it feels like you could drive all day long with it. Brakes, wheelset, drivetrain etc are top notch.

One question tho: can you use oval front chainring?

I haven't made my mind yet, but it was truly a great bike.
    Last edited by LasseV; 01-08-2019 at 09:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have had my Tracer for a year and very rarely get pedal strikes ... and when I have, they have been my fault. The bike has plenty of pedal clearance. That is with an unmodified X2 @ 30% sag.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What tires are you guys using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 3C / DHRII 2.4
    WTB Vigilante light high grip / Trailboss tought fast rolling

mtbr member
    2.8 Rekon.........

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    2.35 e*thirteen TRS Race up front and 2.35 TRS+ in the back.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LasseV View Post
    I'm running DHF/DHR II 2.6 on i35 rims, and find it close to perfect for my use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    2.8 Rekon.........
    Can you post photo? It must be tight...

I had 2.6 Rekon on i30 rim on rear and it was maximum without tire rubs and with enough clearance for mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LasseV View Post
    Instaled michelin wild enduro front MagiX and wild Rock"R 2 gumX... still havent tested it... first time on Michelin
    18 Intense Tracer NM
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member

I had 2.6 Rekon on i30 rim on rear and it was maximum without tire rubs and with enough clearance for mud.
    I don't ride on our trails when there muddy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Tracer-20181229_161039.jpg  

2017 Tracer-20190110_212823.jpg  

Last edited by tom tom; 01-10-2019 at 09:31 PM.

btm
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

It is pretty tight, but I don't see any signs of wear after one 8 months use (I check regulary). It's about 3 mm clearence on each side to the chainstays, a but less towards the crank. I'll see if I can take som photos during the weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    And what about your setups? Can you share your builds and experiences?

My first (2018) custom setup is here

2017 Tracer-s1600_img_9515.jpg

For this year I changed:
    • wheels: i30rims with DT350 hubs and pillar spokes
    • fork: FOX 36 GRIP2
    • shock: DHX2 (waiting for SAR coil)
    • cranks: Next R 175mm

Overall happy with the bike, but I wanted to try little bit more downhill oriented setup.

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules
    2.35 e*thirteen TRS Race up front and 2.35 TRS+ in the back.
    ^^^^ this is my exact setup as well.... LOVE it!!!
    I Hate when the trail trips my bike! :skep:

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Can anyone confirm that a new tracer is being proto'd at a few enduro races this year?

slamma

... and if we just ... Finally !

Coming off an 2014 SB95 I am a bit worried about the climbs, but id have to say, smashing the downs will be worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Tracer-tracer.jpg  

Ride with timeless creed

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRAG View Post
    Coming off an 2014 SB95 I am a bit worried about the climbs, but id have to say, smashing the downs will be worth it.
    I'm interested to see how you compare those bikes in climbing

The Downs are too short to really enjoy a bike that's dedicated for downs but jumps we have are all pretty nice

slamma
    First of, i wanna say i don't think there will be much of a contest as far as efficiency goes, but will be interesting for sure, i wont get into the 27.5 vs 29. I need a lot more time to get the Tracer dialed, but Surprisingly the climbing Geo on the tracer feels better for really steep climbs, i dont have to work as hard to keep the front wheel down, (slighter steeper seat angle ? ) and its has tons of traction, the suspension feels better on the tracer when standing ( which was surprising) doesn't wallow, but ultimately when sitting and and pushing it, you can feel the power transfer to the wheel is not as immediate as the SB95 and you can feel more loss in power on the tracer, but its to be expected with 127mm vs 165mm of travel. I have not had a chance to fool to much with LSC and PSI to much, but ill write up a better review when i actually get to ride.
    Ride with timeless creed

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is anyone else with a 2017 Tracer that came spec'd with a Fox X2 having trouble with their shock? Mine has blown out twice in less than a year. The first time I had the squishy squelch noise and this time the climb switch does absolutely nothing. In both cases I had oil shooting out of the presta valve when I let air out. I am pretty annoyed that I have to get this thing completely rebuilt yet again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is anyone else with a 2017 Tracer that came spec'd with a Fox X2 having trouble with their shock? Mine has blown out twice in less than a year. The first time I had the squishy squelch noise and this time the climb switch does absolutely nothing. In both cases I had oil shooting out of the presta valve when I let air out. I am pretty annoyed that I have to get this thing completely rebuilt yet again.
    Mine has been good, 600 miles in, at least.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    It's common issue of X2 shocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Considering a new Tracer as a replacement for my 2012 Santa Cruz Nickel. Going to go demo one this weekend and see how it goes. Seems like a killer deal right now with the price point on the pro model with the e*thirteen wheels they are tossing into the mix.

I took out a new Bronson V3 yesterday and fell in love with it but a similar build with carbon wheels is substantially more money.. so looking forward to riding my first intense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Are the carbon wheels still an option? A local bike shop has the 18 Tracer Pro with the green or bright yellow accents on sale for $1200 less than the 19 tracer Pro, I really like the Fox factory and shimano brakes but 1200 is a good chunk of change less.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They are still advertised online. I'm almost thinking of getting the foundation and upgrading as I go since its only 3400 bucks. With the free carbon wheels it seems like adding bits as I find what suits me might be worth the 2 grand

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Does anyone the color of the lime green or fluorescent yellow that comes on the 2018 Tracer Pro I'm just about to pull the plug and order one considering it's on sale at a local bike shop.

I think the carbon wheels are for USA only so in Canada or UK it looks like we do not get the carbon wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You're looking for color code? It is pantone 809C.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    You're looking for color code? It is pantone 809C.
    Yeah I should have been more clear I was looking for a paint code to get either powder coat or Anodizing done.

If I swap at my fork for a 36 Factory id also like to get matching graphics to

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This is answer received directly from intense when I asked for color codes: "The matte grey on the Tracer is: Pantone 435U (uncoated), the black is matte black. The Gloss yellow accents are Pantone 809C."

But I'm not sure about the 435U for matte grey. Seems that for example 425U and 445U are much more closer to reality than posted 435U.

Few posts back is picture of my Tracer with custom decals on cranks and fork based on the pantone code.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Does anyone the color of the lime green or fluorescent yellow that comes on the 2018 Tracer Pro I'm just about to pull the plug and order one considering it's on sale at a local bike shop.

I think the carbon wheels are for USA only so in Canada or UK it looks like we do not get the carbon wheels

Are you looking to purchase a lime green/ Flo yellow Tracer? What size? I have a XL for sale that is in great shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnw/bear View Post
    Are you looking to purchase a lime green/ Flo yellow Tracer? What size? I have a XL for sale that is in great shape.
    XL would be way too big for me I'm like 5 10

I haven't seen any tracers for sale in Canada that are 2018 the three position lever on the fork at least is very important I want a bike I could trail ride jump climb- everything

mtbr member
    @adam74....the carbon wheels are still an option as far as I know, I saw on IG that today that they are still offering them with the Carbine

@flyingnome....did you demo the Tracer? What did you think vs the Bronson? I really like my Tracer but I promised my son I'd sell it to him later this year so I'm looking at all other options. I was thinking about the Bronson but apparently a coil won't fit and several people haven't like it with a 170mm fork. I'm waiting on the new Yeti SB6 and presumably new Tracer release in August before pulling the trigger.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    @flyingnome....did you demo the Tracer? What did you think vs the Bronson? I really like my Tracer but I promised my son I'd sell it to him later this year so I'm looking at all other options. I was thinking about the Bronson but apparently a coil won't fit and several people haven't like it with a 170mm fork. I'm waiting on the new Yeti SB6 and presumably new Tracer release in August before pulling the trigger.
    I did and am currently working on buying a Tracer after looking at multiple bikes and retesting my current 2012 Santa Cruz Nickel LT.

The Bronson was awesome and stuck like glue to the trail. It climbed really well and was super planted on the downhill. Riding the same trail a couple days later on the Tracer was a completely different experience. Shockingly so actually considering my lack of fitness and being out of biking a couple of years.

It was as if the Tracer felt alive on the downhill, just visceral. It was almost too confidence inspiring, and it was more than happy to leave the earth and come back down, was my first time getting that much air. I have never ridden a bike that charged so hard downhill begging for more like fast... really really fast. I literally got to the bottom and was laughing my ass off like a crazy person. I had no words and had to catch my breath from laughing.

The Bronson I got done and just said wow this is an amazing bike lots of smiles but no crazy laughter. They are both incredible and far exceed my ability. My experience pushed me to the Tracer, I recommend riding both but for my money... I'd pay to laugh my ass off like that any day of the week.

What further sealed the deal for me was the Santa Cruz shop charged me 75 bucks for the day and then priceed me what they decided was an optimal build for how I ride for 6800 dollars. The owner of the intense shop here let me use his personal bike no charge. When I came back with it the next day I asked which build he would recommend and he said buy the foundation for 3300 bucks because it's the best deal in bikes right now coming with the free carbon wheels. Plus he includes lifetime fitments and a bunch of good service stuff. He said if I really wanted he could toss in a GX rear cog/XD hub and XT 4 piston brakes for not much more.

The several thousand dollar difference plus the impact the demo had on me the decision was made. Hoping to have it in my hands by Friday and go riding this weekend. Gotta get my 2012 Nickel sold lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Ouch! Rock strike.

Lets see how much this costs to repair.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Tracer-20190608_125408%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yikes... guessing new rear triangle for 470 or whatever that replacement cost is... there are places that do carbon repair that do great work though...

How bad was that rock strike ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingnome View Post
    Yikes... guessing new rear triangle for 470 or whatever that replacement cost is... there are places that do carbon repair that do great work though...

How bad was that rock strike ?
    To be honest I dont even know where it happened, just saw it at the end of the ride.

Repair cost including paint is $500 AUD
    Crash Replacement swingarm is $1200 AUD!!!

Guess I'll be getting the repair.

The perils of owing an expensive bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gp77 View Post
    To be honest I dont even know where it happened, just saw it at the end of the ride.

Repair cost including paint is $500 AUD
    Crash Replacement swingarm is $1200 AUD!!!

Guess I'll be getting the repair.

The perils of owing an expensive bike.
    Damn sorry brother... at least it's getting fixed. This is my first carbon mountain bike so fingers crossed. I've had a Carbon road bike for years with no problems...

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules
    Sorry gp77 that Sux!!!
    If it makes you feel any better, a friend of mine put a nice little ding/crack in the top tube of his 2018 Santa Cruz Nomad in Jan/Feb of this year and (despite our push to have him get a crash replacement) he chose to go to a local REPUTABLE carbon repair place to have it fixed (I think they injected repair materials from the inside too). Long story short, his damage looked a little worse than yours, and to date, even riding steep, rocky, gnarly, epic trails, he hasn't had any issues.
    Hope that brings you a little peace.
    I Hate when the trail trips my bike! :skep:

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There's a brand new tracer rear triangle on pb buy/sell for 300$ usd it's black though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12