Yellowstone area riding partners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Yellowstone area riding partners

Hey all, I'm interested in finding some folks to go riding with this summer (keep those bears away!). I am off Fridays and Saturdays. I work at Old Faithful in Yellowstone and just started riding last summer and was instantly hooked. I bought my wife a bike too but she didn't enjoy mountain biking much at all. I have one guy that I work with that I ride with sometimes but it isn't his highest priority like it is for me. I want to get out for a ride every weekend that I can. I will be on a shiny new Fuel EX this summer after quickly discovering last summer that a Superfly wasn't the best bike for around here.

I really enjoy riding natural trails and I'm not afraid to HAB or carry a bike or whatever, although I'm certainly not opposed to man made trails (I'd like to visit Grand Targhee this summer). I did mountaineering before mountain biking so I'm definitely used to long hard days. I'm most interested in riding the area between West Yellowstone and Bozeman but I would be willing to do other areas once in a while.

Here is a short list of rides that are high on my priority list this summer, listed roughly by date that they would be snow-free:
    South Cottonwood Trail
    Bear Canyon loop
    Albino Lake loop from Cinnamon TH
    Cabin Creek to Kirkwood loop
    Oil Well to Pika Point
    Targhee Creek to CDT loop
    Targhee Creek to Dry Fork loop
    Mile to Sheep - This is the big goal for me by the end of the summer.

I'm willing to ride about anything as long as I'm on the bike. I prefer riding on Friday because trails will be less crowded but I won't pass up a chance to ride if there is one. I will also try to make it out to the Rendezvous bike trails in West at least once a week during the work week also, since it is the closest real riding to here.

Anyway, if you think any of this sounds fun shoot me a message and I'd love to go riding this summer.

mtbr member
    I am up in Mammoth and have weekends off. I could meet you in Bozeman or West Yellowstone on Saturdays or Sundays. Possibly Friday evenings but will have to leave work early. I would love to have a riding buddy this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I may be interested, though I'm looking to do more Bikefishing in the Backcountry to Alpine Lakes/Rivers. Some of the trails you mentioned see a lot of traffic and I want to get away from the crowd. I usually camp out Friday/Saturday night and ride Saturday/Sunday (Also want to try BikePacking on trail this year)
    Some Trails I'm looking at doing -
    Bangtail Divide (busy but worth it)
    Curly Lake (Solitude and Views in the Tobacco Routes)
    Little Wapiti-Pika Point Loop (Not far from West Yellowstone, Scenic Backcountry)
    Pioneer Mountain Range

Maybe we could put something together, I usually go Solo, but I hear the Bears are bad out here!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'm not into fishing but if you are in the area just doing a ride definitely let me know. I rode Wapiti and Little Wapiti last summer and I want to do Pika Point this summer. It's a great area up there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another area /trail you might be interested in is the Webber Creek Trail 111 near the very southwest tip of Montana. This trail is on the Idaho side of the state line and is open to bicycles, unlike the Montana side(Deadman-Nicholia). This is one of the most scenic areas I have ridden in. The grizzly density is also a lot lower than Yellowstone area. There are also other trails in the area, both mapped and unmapped on Trailforks.com Enough challenging riding for a weekend up there. It is in the Italian Peaks riding area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CKnapp1983 View Post
    Hey all, I'm interested in finding some folks to go riding with this summer (keep those bears away!). I am off Fridays and Saturdays. I work at Old Faithful in Yellowstone and just started riding last summer and was instantly hooked. I bought my wife a bike too but she didn't enjoy mountain biking much at all. I have one guy that I work with that I ride with sometimes but it isn't his highest priority like it is for me. I want to get out for a ride every weekend that I can. I will be on a shiny new Fuel EX this summer after quickly discovering last summer that a Superfly wasn't the best bike for around here.

I really enjoy riding natural trails and I'm not afraid to HAB or carry a bike or whatever, although I'm certainly not opposed to man made trails (I'd like to visit Grand Targhee this summer). I did mountaineering before mountain biking so I'm definitely used to long hard days. I'm most interested in riding the area between West Yellowstone and Bozeman but I would be willing to do other areas once in a while.

Here is a short list of rides that are high on my priority list this summer, listed roughly by date that they would be snow-free:
    South Cottonwood Trail
    Bear Canyon loop
    Albino Lake loop from Cinnamon TH
    Cabin Creek to Kirkwood loop
    Oil Well to Pika Point
    Targhee Creek to CDT loop
    Targhee Creek to Dry Fork loop
    Mile to Sheep - This is the big goal for me by the end of the summer.

I'm willing to ride about anything as long as I'm on the bike. I prefer riding on Friday because trails will be less crowded but I won't pass up a chance to ride if there is one. I will also try to make it out to the Rendezvous bike trails in West at least once a week during the work week also, since it is the closest real riding to here.

Anyway, if you think any of this sounds fun shoot me a message and I'd love to go riding this summer.

My opinions here:

Albino Lake loop from Cinnamon TH: sure, but there's this trail called Lizard Lakes Trail that takes off from the six way junction that's way better, just go as far as you can and reverse the route back to Cinnamon.

Cabin Creek to Kirkwood loop: do it in the opposite direction for more reward. The Kirkwood downhill is super fun, but ends too quickly. If you climb Kirkwood (some HAB), the "descent" down the other side and all the way down Cabin will take a couple hours, with some climbs. Do Kirkwood as an out and back when short on time.

Oil Well to Pika Point: Yup. So many options.

Targhee Creek to CDT loop: Or just CDT either direction from Targhee Pass out and back.
    Targhee Creek to Dry Fork loop: both expert trails with lots of HAB on the up and down, not ridden often, bears.

Mile to Sheep - This is the big goal for me by the end of the summer: Awesome. Either trail out and back also fun.

Others: Red Canyon and Targhee Pass are your closest trailheads. Do out and backs at these locations after work, whew! Red Canyon is sometimes shuttled, but it's actually a pretty easy climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    My opinions here:

Albino Lake loop from Cinnamon TH: sure, but there's this trail called Lizard Lakes Trail that takes off from the six way junction that's way better, just go as far as you can and reverse the route back to Cinnamon.

Cabin Creek to Kirkwood loop: do it in the opposite direction for more reward. The Kirkwood downhill is super fun, but ends too quickly. If you climb Kirkwood (some HAB), the "descent" down the other side and all the way down Cabin will take a couple hours, with some climbs. Do Kirkwood as an out and back when short on time.

Oil Well to Pika Point: Yup. So many options.

Targhee Creek to CDT loop: Or just CDT either direction from Targhee Pass out and back.
    Targhee Creek to Dry Fork loop: both expert trails with lots of HAB on the up and down, not ridden often, bears.

Mile to Sheep - This is the big goal for me by the end of the summer: Awesome. Either trail out and back also fun.

Others: Red Canyon and Targhee Pass are your closest trailheads. Do out and backs at these locations after work, whew! Red Canyon is sometimes shuttled, but it's actually a pretty easy climb.
    Apologies in advance for the thread-jack:

Hey Afraid,

I sent you a PM but you probably never saw it.

In any case I'm showing some internet friends (from ridemonkey.com) around SW MT in late August (17th - 27th)

It's basically a best of the best of our trails so starting out with Bangtail Divide, Blackmore->Cottonwood, Homestake, Curly, Wolverine Basin (which I don't know much about yet) a few different combinations in the Henry's/Lionhead ( Mile/Sheep/CDT) and then something in Taylor's Fork/Big Sky.

I was hoping to pick your brain for suggestions for an EPIC ride in Big Sky and perhaps something along the CDT in Idaho which I thought you were exploring a few years back.

And of course you're (and anyone else in this thread) is welcome to join in for any specific rides.

My plan is to have an EPIC all day option and something smaller (i.e. Mile->Sheep would be the epic, but offering Sheep out and back as alternative ride)

I have campsite reservations for Hyalite (for BZN area rides), was planning to free camp near Curly (for Homestake/Curly days), pay camp for bunch of days at Cliff/Wade (for Henry's rides) and probably move camp to Taylor's Fork for the last day or two (for Big Sky rides)

Can you shoot me a PM with your contact info and we can connect "offline" and I'll drive down to Big Sky one day to meet up for a beer or three over some maps and recommendations...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for all the suggestions! And please feel free to use this thread to discuss anything related to riding around the area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Come to the Lionhead trail work weekend which is July 8-9 this year. We camp at Mile Creek trailhead and set up all kinds of shuttles. Contact Greg406 on this board to RSVP. You'll meet great folks and give back to an amazing system.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I saw that on the SWMMBA website. I have to work Sundays but I will definitely try to make it out all day Saturday!