Wyoming trip- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wyoming trip

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Wyoming trip

Coming in July for Tour de Wyoming and bringing the mountain bikes for some rides before and after the tour. We will be in the north/east corner of Wyoming and into Spearfish S.D. If anyone knows of some "must do" trails I would greatly appreciate info. The Mickelson and Centennial trails are on my list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactus head
    Coming in July for Tour de Wyoming and bringing the mountain bikes for some rides before and after the tour. We will be in the north/east corner of Wyoming and into Spearfish S.D. If anyone knows of some "must do" trails I would greatly appreciate info. The Mickelson and Centennial trails are on my list.

There is some pretty good riding in the Sundance / Hulett area. Some of the trails are a little short, but there are lots of trails in the area. Haroow posts here and he lives in that area so he may jump in and offer some good advise. The club in Sundance would be worth contacting.

http://www.scgmba.org/

They run a race over there

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=277082

I have never made it to the race, but I have friends that have ridden it and say good things about it. Some of the trial for the race is on private land, so you will need to contact those guys and see what you can ride. I know the club was working on mapping some of the trails in that area so maybe they can help you out with some maps or something. The Forest Service office in Sundance has some OK maps of the area. If you stop in there they are pretty friendly to mountain bikers. Call them at 307-283-1361 and maybe they can send you some stuff.

The Mickelson Trail is a Rails to Trails. Pretty much a gravel road but it goes through nice country. There is a ton of good riding around the Rapid City area. Contact Tim at Acme Bicycles in Rapid City. He is a super nice guy and runs a great little shop.

http://www.acmebicycles.com/index.php

Make the trip into Rapid City and be sure to stop at Acme and say Hi to Tim. Check out the Firehouse Brewing Company if you are in Rapid. They have good food, outstanding beer and they are a sponsor of the Black Hills Fat Tire Fest. http://www.bhfattirefestival.com/

I am over in Gillette. There is no riding here other than a few trails that are really ATV trails and we ride a little on some state land called School Sections. There is an area North of Gillette called Weston that has some riding, but again it is mostly motorcycle / ATV trails. There are a lot of game trails there that are OK to ride, but you really have to watch where you are because there is lots of private land there. Nothing worth traveling over here for. We head west to the Big Horn mountains most of the time. There is some pretty good riding in the Big Horns, but that is pretty far west of where you will be.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

There's some great riding south of Spearfish

Your best bet is to stop in the forest service office in spearfish. They have pamphlets with all kinds trails/maps in the area. There's also a couple bike shops in Spearfish that may be able to help.

Last time I was in the area, I made a big ride out of three connected trail systems. The trails are known as "Little Spearfish," Rimrock," and "Old Baldy." Together they form a figure eight with a big lollypop loop on one end. Over the course of the three trails, you will get the full gamut of mountain biking. Theres narrow and twisty, wide open and fast, very flowy through the ponderosa pines, a couple highly technical climbs/descents, and one long, rippin' descent with lots of cool waterbar jumps if you take the Little Spearfish portion clockwise.

Cool scenery, but really cool singletrack.

There are many other trails in the area, including the Centennial trail which runs the entire Black Hills Norht to South (or vice versa). There is one detour anround a wilderness area.

Explore and have fun!
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Tracking up the place
    We can hook you up.....We have over 70 miles mapped....Let me know when the time gets closer,and I will get you out there. I think you'll be in for a treat... There so much to ride, it will be anything you want, climbs, long descents, etc....I have my favs and would be happy to share some...
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Members who have read this thread: 0