WTF is my next bike in 2007?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

New question here. WTF is my next bike in 2007?

I don't go through bikes like Earthpig every month and I don't have a buttload of bikes in several US cities and the Philippines like Gary. But I am itching for another bike next year (hopefully my crappy $ situation is settled by then ).

So far I rotate between a road bike, hardtail SS, and a dually. IMNSHO that's a pretty decent bike stable for the type of riding I've been doing over the past couple of years.

I'm ruling out a full on DH rig since I only get up to Brundage/Tam a handful of times and there really is no use for one in the Foothills. Ehhh besides....I'm pretty damn conservative going down.

For a while I was lusting after an ASX, but sadly no more prodealing from them. However I wouldn't mind something more burlier than the 575. But cost is a big factor so this type of bike really isn't on the realistic list. Oh that and I don't have the bike skills to tackle stuff that is suited to that kind of bike.

Wouldn't mind a CX...definately more versatile than a sissy road bike especially out in the 2C. If I decide to go this route, I'd end up selling the road bike.

I've really been thinking about going to a hardtail gearie, but not like a weight weenie race machine....more along the lines of a beefier bike...one that can handle jumps without fear of breaking the frame.

Thoughts?

Nick

mtbr member

If I was in your shoes...

I'd get a 160mm fork (like the new Lyrik) and a DHX for the 575... to use when doing the shuttle/ski lift thing... It's just like having 2 bikes in one...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Just build up your 575 (819 wheels, Saint hubs, Saint brakes, 36 Van etc.). It will add some lbs but it will give you a much tougher and versatile bike. The 575 is an awesome bike and probably one of the best AM bikes around.

Another alternative is a Transition Preston. It is my understanding the 07 is very nice. Transition also has a new AM bike out as well that may be worth looking at. I ride my Dirtbag all over the foothills and Tam. Heavy, yes, but who cares. Just makes you stronger and the bike will do whatever you want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Doesn't REI get you deals on the Scott Ransom line?
    http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=9718

While we're on Scott's, check out this crazy $12k, 13 pound road rig.
    http://www.scottusa.com/category.php?UID=647

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Hey, it's at least every six weeks that I go through frames (not whole bikes, usually). Remember, as SFS said, I'm "tempermental" about my bikes (but she meant "fickle.")

That aside, I think your current stable as you describe it is perfect as is. My stable is very similar - one "do it all" full sus bike, one singlespeed, and one road bike. I have the parts for one other bike, but I can't figure out WTF to do with it - I've gone from a hardtail to a full sus XC bike to a hardtail and now possibly to another singlespeed. Who knows. Next week, a different bug will find its way up my @ss and I'll probably get something else. (Well, maybe in 6 weeks....)

I wouldn't advise you get a cross bike. I had two of them and never could see the point - they were slow and ponderous on the road, and skittish and uncomfortable off road. As for the other bikes you and others have mentioned, I don't know what kind of use I'd ever get out of a Preston, Ransom, or 13lb(!) road bike with my current stable.

That said, I'm with flip and Jimi - get a nice, adjustable travel fork and a burlier wheelset for the 575, so you can build and unbuild it as necessary for what you want to do. I recently dropped a couple of pounds off my X-5 and added an adjustable travel fork and really have never been happier with the bike. Plus, having parts to swap on and off the same frame is a lot cheaper than buying another bike.

Whatever you do, let us know!

Sep 2004
    [QUOTE=Earthpig]Hey, it's at least every six weeks that I go through frames (not whole bikes, usually). Remember, as SFS said, I'm "tempermental" about my bikes (but she meant "fickle.")

Oh EP, poetry is lost on you. Nick, keep in mind that EP is temperamental.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetflowersister
    Oh EP, poetry is lost on you. Nick, keep in mind that EP is temperamental.
    Maybe I need some poetry lessons.

Nick, keep in mind that SFS names her bikes things like "Shasta" and "Disco."

Haiku time:

Sweetflowersister -
    Rides a shiny singlespeed.
    She picks on Earthpig?
    Last edited by Earthpig; 09-12-2006 at 09:47 PM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Haiku 2:

Belay Slave's new bike:
    Hope it's not another
    shiny singlespeed!
    Last edited by Earthpig; 09-12-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

more poetry

I've got the poetry juices flowing now.

Haiku 3:

Belay Slave's next bike:
    How about a sixteener?
    It's a pump track craze!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I've got the poetry juices flowing now.

Haiku 3:

Belay Slave's next bike:
    How about a sixteener?
    It's a pump track craze!
    Nick do not listen.
    EP will lead you astray.
    Go with what Flip says.

Sep 2004
    Haiku 2:

Belay Slave's new bike:
    Hope it's not another
    shiny singlespeed!
    You should know that EP is the one who picked out the shiny SS. When I saw it at the bike shop, all put together (thanks Doug!), I was forced to name her Disco!! She should have had a pretty name like Rosebud or Twinkle...

mtbr member
    I really hate haikus.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    You should know that EP is the one who picked out the shiny SS.
    Guilty as charged. But, I do love disco music. And haikus (sorry laffeaux).

Sep 2004
    Guilty as charged. But, I do love disco music.
    I was thinking of installing a little stereo system on her so that she could play her own theme music. I Will Survive?

Flip, how much would something like this weigh?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    It would weigh more than Flip.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of installing a little stereo system on her so that she could play her own theme music. I Will Survive?

Looks like their about 2 pounds:
    http://www.emersonradio.com/SearchDex/10781.htm

That's not too bad. But no 8-track option.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    But no 8-track option.
    Ahhh...and Disco was so close to getting to play her own theme music.

(Sorry about the haiku.)

Aug 2004
    Nick, keep in mind that SFS names her bikes things like "Shasta" and "Disco."
    Hey I name my bikes too!

Yeti = Big Peggy
    Scott road bike = Juicy Peaches
    SS = Big Raina

-------

westin,

Yeah we get Scott's and yeah I looked at the Ransom line. Just not too sure about the serviceability locally of their proprietary rear shock if I ever had any problems with it. Really starting to look at the 2007 Norcos right now.

------

Never really considered upgrading the Yeti. That's a definite possiblity. First thing would probably be a new wheelset. Really haven't looked into the new forks out there.

------

The Transition frames from what I can tell are inexpensive and that's definately a big plus. Maybe I can just take Daryl's!!!

Hoops - Big and Small

Another Snow Man

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I've really been thinking about going to a hardtail gearie, but not like a weight weenie race machine....more along the lines of a beefier bike...one that can handle jumps without fear of breaking the frame.
    Thoughts?
    Nick
    I've had my eye on this baby, 1700 bones gets you a rockin ride
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Is it me or does that bike have a goofy tire combo? Big hookworm on back and a small knobby on front? WTF is that for? skidding contests? IMHO- Save the new bike money and go on a killer vacay and ride everday for a few weeks in amazing locales.

Hoops - Big and Small

Pic is all wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar
    Big hookworm on back and a small knobby on front?
    The spec on the website says Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4" both ends and a Pike up front.

Do you know if the Holy R is a big 2.4? I was wondering how much room might be between the pipes.

mtbr member
    I honestly haven't measured an inflated hookworm and compared it to other tires. They look big, but I think the body of the tire is bigger to make up for the lack of knobs.

Members who have read this thread: 0