Wilson on Sunday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Wilson on Sunday

Yeah it was okay out there, a bit windy so I did what Dave did and went up Wilson Creek instead of up NW Passsage. Bingo, the Canyon, relatively short ride.

Nick, thanks for the note you left on my car man! I hope you had a good ride. I probably got back to the lot just after you left.

I haven't tried the small blocks yet, I'm just thinking to wait until the snow goes away, but you can try em if you like.

On a bummer note, I was chatting with my ma on the way home and I know how folks love their dogs here, well, my sis's dog has cancer. So they're going to give him chemo and that will hopefully give him a few more years of good quality and pain free life.
    The second dog in our family to get cancer.

Going to call my sis now; here's to Pete!
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 11-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

Hi!!!
    Man....sorry to hear about the dog Daryl. I hope it makes a full recovery.

Yeah today's ride was fun. I wussed out going up Reynolds Canyon. I think I need to work on my balance skills to ride that comfortably. Well that and grow some bigger balls. Have you heard of anyone ever taking a fall out there? That would suck ass.

No biggie on the Kendas. I doubt we are gonna be getting any big snowstorms for a while so you should probably throw those on the Turner. Ther eis nothing wrong with my Mutanoraptors, but those Kendas look like they would roll faster than alot of the more popular tires out there right now.

Have you found a pair of winter gloves you like? The Novara gloves I have been using lately have been plenty warm. Maybe too warm. There were a couple of times that I took them off just to cool off. In my past couple of rides with 'em, my hands never got cold even with temps dipping into the 20s. One thing I did notice was that sweat on my hands made the liners bunch up when I pulled them off. I notice this the most in both pinkies.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks man. They don't know but as things go on, if he responds well they'll keep doing it, if not, well.........

I almost fell there. Going around this little nothing section I somehow slipped out but caught myself from going down the side. I think Surly an Instigator was behind me when I did this. I think one of the things is just looking down the trail, where you want to go and not letting it intimidate you. That way, it's no different than any other trail you ride. If you feel you need to work on your slow speed balance, then that might help. I think learning to trackstand is a good exercise for low speed balance.

Gloves, I've been wearing my old goretex ski gloves, but today just used the Pearl Izumi Amfibs, which were fine. I might come look at the Novaras. My fingertips still get cold and burn in the ski gloves when the temps drop, that hurts like a mofo!

mtbr member
    My neighbor aquired a black lab puppy; she may be interested in a new home for it if needed.

After a hard wreck, it takes time to get your balls back. I landed on my head in October a year and a half ago and it reallly affected my riding until about may. I did a ride in Washington that was very technical. It had log rides, narrow bridges, steeps etc and I was pretty timid starting the ride but after a couple hours I was so focused on riding; especially since it took twice the effort to walk over the obstacles every 10 feet than to ride them; I forgot to be scared and was much better. Funny thing, it worked about the same when I took a climbing fall. Free solo'ing a 5.1X to free a stuck rope got me over the fear.

I dread keeping my fingers warm if I do winter rides. Probably keeps me doing trainer spinning instead. Which novara ones are you using?
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    ...but today just used the Pearl Izumi Amfibs, which were fine. I might come look at the Novaras. My fingertips still get cold and burn in the ski gloves when the temps drop, that hurts like a mofo!
    My new P.I. Amfib lobsters are really nice - are they the same ones you have 98?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Allikat. My sister lives in Oceanside, Ca. We are hoping the dog will recover so we'll see. He's a good dog and been with her through some rough times.

As for the gloves, I am using some older GoreTex ski gloves and don't have the Novaras, but Nick (Belay Slave) has them and likes them. I saw a set of GoreTex on REI's site but they are $100 or $150. If my fingertips get the cold burn one more time even in those, then I'm going over to REI to see Nick.

Good on ya for your focus on the trails!

Members who have read this thread: 0