Wilson Creek- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wilson Creek

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Wilson Creek

Does anyone know how the riding is at Wilson Creek now?

mtbr member
    Rode it last weekend. Nw Passage was firm, Bingos is blown out from fire. The drop in to China has been sanitized. Definately worth the trip out still.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Where can i find a map for these trails?

mtbr member
    Map: Wilson Creek

Or: Stueby's Outdoor Journal: Mountain biking in the Owyhees is a real treat; Boise Foothills trails are drying out, too

From a previous Wilson Cr thread...

... "did W100-W251-W250-W150 (which I believe is the NW Passage?) W160-W500 (Bingo)-W300-W301. Had a good time and the weather and trails were great. A word of advice don't take W501 where it splits From W500 it is rock garden and not much fun, at least for me it wasn't."

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've always made it a habit of riding backwards through China and walking up that drop (think it's called Jacob's ladder?) because I've been an intermediate rider at best on an old bike. I've been riding a lot this summer/fall and have a somewhat better bike (steel hardtail).

Is it enough easier now that I have a chance of running it the normal way? (And I know that's a really vague description to hope for an answer to)

mtbr member
    Someone built a go-around to the chute that looked 'do-able' last weekend. Someone has also removed some rocks on the tight corners after. It's worth a look.

I tried the chute years ago, went over the bars, and ended up in the ER with a punctured abdominal cavity. Haven't tried it since.

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by dauwalt View Post
    I tried the chute years ago, went over the bars, and ended up in the ER with a punctured abdominal cavity. Haven't tried it since.
    Yikes...I hate it when that happens!
    Not to mention the xposure along parts of the China ditch - ugly consequences if a mistake is made.
    And then there is the poison ivy...
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I definitely need to get out there again. When I lived in Nampa it was my go to trail I just couldn't ride it as much. Last year I moved to boise and now I get to ride way more but the riding is more... dirt sidewalk ish.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I haven't been out in a while but am going asap.
    They sanitized the chute drop in to Reynolds Canyon?
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dauwalt View Post
    Someone built a go-around to the chute that looked 'do-able' last weekend. Someone has also removed some rocks on the tight corners after. It's worth a look.

Dude, I'm sorry that happened! Man that's bad. Glad you ended up ok.
    I guess injury like that could happen any technical section - but yeah, that one definitely makes one think twice. I went OTB at least once there a long time ago, but was okay fortunately. I think the bike got scratched up or dinged.
    My profile pic on here is me riding it (all of it), but that was a long time ago - and funny, on a bike not as capable as bikes I've owned since, yet shy away from dropping "The Slot". I guess we get older don't wanna get F*K'd up!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Someone should make this sticky?
    Anyway, yes HAS anyone been out there in the last few days since the snow hit low (city) elevation? Wanting to ride hard this weekend and wondering if it's rideable out there. Thank you!

Rocks Rock
    The Chute. This was a few years back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCYKJD-uzAs
    I tried a few times last year and kept washing out on top. It has changed a lot over the years. Last year was the most challenging I've seen it.
    Am I being kind?

Rocks Rock
    Unless Bogus gets 10+ inches of snow in the next couple days I'll head out there Sat. morning. Daryl I can meet you there or you can come to my house and ride with me. I am at Eagle Rd and State (Hwy 44) basically.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    I think I landed on my hip on one of those rock knobs when I went OTB in the chute. My wife thought it was a trail gnome. She loved stuffing the hole w iodine gauze every day.

https://youtu.be/1Lb6oFMHjcc

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Impdude, please post a ride report when you get back on Sat. I'm planning to ride Sun. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Imp, did we find out any more info from anyone on here?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dave,
    I looked at Marsing area report on the WeatherBug app on my phone and it's not looking good at all. Snow, and then 60% chance rain today and tomorrow, not tapering until tomorrow afternoon. So I THINK you should go skiing! And I will TRY AND GET SOME SLEEP (insomnia, fkng something awful right now). And I'll shoot for road ride on Sat afternoon. If you think different or know different about Wilson conditions, Lemmeknow!

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim22 View Post
    Impdude, please post a ride report when you get back on Sat. I'm planning to ride Sun. Thanks
    I just looked at radar and it looks pretty wet out there. Might chicken out.
    Am I being kind?

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    Dave,
    I looked at Marsing area report on the WeatherBug app on my phone and it's not looking good at all. Snow, and then 60% chance rain today and tomorrow, not tapering until tomorrow afternoon. So I THINK you should go skiing! And I will TRY AND GET SOME SLEEP (insomnia, fkng something awful right now). And I'll shoot for road ride on Sat afternoon. If you think different or know different about Wilson conditions, Lemmeknow!
    Ya it is looking really wet out there
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    tonite 70% Sat 60% Sun 20% and partly sunny. 10 mph wind. I am shooting for Sun being good. Friends rode Murphy Mon. and was dry and dusty. some rain is a good thing. I am planning Sun. If it sucks, its only an hr. haha

mtbr member
    May 2004

Sounds like a reasonable plan!

tonite 70% Sat 60% Sun 20% and partly sunny. 10 mph wind. I am shooting for Sun being good. Friends rode Murphy Mon. and was dry and dusty. some rain is a good thing. I am planning Sun. If it sucks, its only an hr. haha
    Mtbr need FB style thumbs up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ride report. Bit snowy, bit muddy. Did not even try Northwest Passage. From the upper parking, we took the single track across dez to sandy road and then up Bingo to near the top. Back down to China Wall, which was a little frozen, then on to lower level trails. Got in 10.5 mi. It was 43* and sunny. Glad we went

Rocks Rock
    Ride report. Bit snowy, bit muddy. Did not even try Northwest Passage. From the upper parking, we took the single track across dez to sandy road and then up Bingo to near the top. Back down to China Wall, which was a little frozen, then on to lower level trails. Got in 10.5 mi. It was 43* and sunny. Glad we went
    Thank you for the update. always worth the drive out there. Just gotta stay in the sand boxes.
    Am I being kind?

Rocks Rock
    Anyone been out to Wilson crick or Reynolds crick lately?
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just can't imagine it would be rideable. There was plenty of snow last time China wall was doable, but frozen. I would guess it would be very snow covered now. But, last time I thought I wouldn't be able, and it turned out a great day? I am stuck in my neighborhood. As I drive a 2wd van, or I would take a drive out with you. Let us know

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So I rode Celebration Park to Swan today. After decided to check out Wilson. Ran into a dude I know that rode up the road to Bingo and down to China Wall. Said it was good and his bike wasn't muddy. I have to believe Northwest Passage would be muddy in places just by looking around. Drove the truck up the hill to Bingo and it looks good out there. If next week follows the forecast I think a trip around the whole loop is in order next wkend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How is Wilson Creek?
    Swede and I are talking about going out there on Sat morning.
    The forecast looks like warmer weather, possibly some precipitation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Give a ride report if you go please want to go tomorrow. Thanks

mtbr member
    Hey all! Hate to bring a dead thread back to life, but How's the weather been treating the Wilson Creek area? Looking to get out and ride tomorrow afternoon, and looking for somewhere a little less muddy or icy. If not Wilson, any other suggestions? Much obliged!
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard View Post
    Hey all! Hate to bring a dead thread back to life, but How's the weather been treating the Wilson Creek area? Looking to get out and ride tomorrow afternoon, and looking for somewhere a little less muddy or icy. If not Wilson, any other suggestions? Much obliged!
    I'm headed out there tomorrow to check it out. Last year was odd more snow than usual. The key to Wilson is to get there before the mud melts. If you get over Northwest Passage by 9:30 you should be good. Afternoon you would have to stick to the China Wall side.
    Am I being kind?

Wandervans
    Conditions are good out there. Very little mud.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Rocks Rock
    Anyone want to ride along tomorrow? Gonna be at the trailhead about 10am

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    gotta ride tomorrow, but would appreciate a ride report when you get home

Rocks Rock
    Sorry Tim didnít get to that ride report. I only found one muddy spot. It was up on Northwest Passage. Bingo is washed out and spidered in places. Appreciate the culverts. Just need to get that spidered stuff worked out. Let me know if there is a work day out there. My job will even give me a day off so I could do it on a week day. Hear that Smily?