Will the Foothills be rideable by Friday?- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Will the Foothills be rideable by Friday?

Well with our recent bout of moisture and temps for the rest of the week being in the mid 40s with lows right below freezing...will trails be rideable by Friday or will they turn muddy? I was thinking of riding Military Reserve again Friday night (after 530pm). I rode there last Friday night (WOOHOO!!!) and it was pretty solid except for a couple of spots here and there.

Thanks

Nick

PS --- I read that someone (Earthpig maybe??) rode Table Rock recently. That would also be another option for me since I can just go from the gym (BSU) onto the Greenbelt and then out to TR. What do you think the trail conditions would be like there Friday night?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the lower trails should be perfect by Friday. I walked up to Chickadee and it was sloppy today.

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Well with our recent bout of moisture and temps for the rest of the week being in the mid 40s with lows right below freezing...will trails be rideable by Friday or will they turn muddy? I was thinking of riding Military Reserve again Friday night (after 530pm). I rode there last Friday night (WOOHOO!!!) and it was pretty solid except for a couple of spots here and there.

Thanks

Nick

PS --- I read that someone (Earthpig maybe??) rode Table Rock recently. That would also be another option for me since I can just go from the gym (BSU) onto the Greenbelt and then out to TR. What do you think the trail conditions would be like there Friday night?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

likely mud

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    ...will trails be rideable by Friday or will they turn muddy?
    I'm going to have to say that my guess is the trails will be generally muddy if the temps stay above freezing as predicted, with the one possible exception of Hulls Gulch. With the moisture Saturday night and again today, and with the low-hanging fog and the general dreary clouds this time of year, my guess is you'll hit pretty significant mud on most trails. I hit a sizeable amount of mud above the reserve back on December 22 on a ride I did when the temps were above freezing - and that was before the recent bouts of moisture. I rode Tablerock this past Saturday at about 8 AM, but it was well below freezing when I rode and I picked up no mud whatsoever becaus the trails were frozen solid. However, TR is rideable this time of year ONLY when it's frozen. Otherwise, it turns into a deep, mucky, sticky mess, with that kind of mud that brings fresh tar to mind.

In sum, I'll advise staying off the foothills trails until we get another hard freeze. The January thaw is a tempting time to go ride, but it's perhaps the worst possible conditions for the foothills. If you need to ride, head out to the Owyhees or some other drier, sandier place. This is merely my $.02. Whatever you do, have fun!

UPDATE: Watching the forecast right now. Looks like we've got another inversion on the way. Absent the sun and some wind, and adding fog, the trails will stay muddy for a while...
    Last edited by Earthpig; 01-18-2005 at 10:16 PM.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Hulls conditions - not crowded this time of year!

I rode part way up Hulls last night from home (avoiding Chick Ridge) - didn't even make it to the rock before I encountered slimey mud where I turned around. I was limited for time though so didn't push up further. Hulls is sandy enough that the mud sections are fairly isolated. However all the sandy sections were quite soft and judging by DanK's comment on Chick Ridge, my guess is that the mud trails are likely too slimey to consider riding right now. Unless the trails get blasted by warm sun for a few days it's likely they'll stay that way.

So you options might by up&down Hulls from CB (avoid the freeway), Rocky Canyon Road or 8th Street (if you don't mind too much sand).

But whatever you do, get out and ride! I saw lots of fox eyes reflected in my headlight last night!
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Repo Man

Twisted - glad to see another Repo Man fan out there! Plate o' Shrimp! Where can I get some generic beer around here?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Twisted - glad to see another Repo Man fan out there! Plate o' Shrimp! Where can I get some generic beer around here?
    Yeah that movie makes me misty every time I see it. It's the Citizen Kane of punk rock space alien movies. Proof indeed that John Wayne was a [email protected]
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.