Why did I come back...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why did I come back...

Should've stayed until tomorrow... hehe
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

We brought the geared bikes

but shouldn't have had... We rode SS all week...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi!!!
    How far of a drive is Fruita from here?

Man...I need me a MTB'ing chick.

sharing the love

SSers in Fruita

The last time I was in Fruita, on one ride we did, we saw a total of 4 people. 2 of them were single speeders. They had no labels on their bikes (trying to look hardcore). When we greeted them, they *****ed about their being too many people on the trails and then rode off. I just thought that was interesting.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

mtbr member

About 600 miles

Or 8.5 to 9 hours with sit down lunch and gas stops...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Heh

Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    The last time I was in Fruita, on one ride we did, we saw a total of 4 people. 2 of them were single speeders. They had no labels on their bikes (trying to look hardcore). When we greeted them, they *****ed about their being too many people on the trails and then rode off. I just thought that was interesting.
    They prolly weren't even Fruita locals. I'll bet they were from the Front Range.

Come to think of it the Fruiticians have developed a bit of an attitude lately - but those are all the Front Range expatriates that move there.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hi!!!
    From what I've read on MTBR over the past couple of weeks...it seems like the trails in Fruita are better for SS'ing than the ones in Moab. Hmmm...may need to reconsider the Moab trip in favor of Fruita!

Hey flip ---

Did you guys camp or get a hotel? Some lodging recommendations would be greatly appreciated along with trail recommendations for two full days of riding.

Thanks

Nick

mtbr member
    i would have to agree that fruita is ideal for SS. the trail portions we had to walk, we would've had to walk on our gearies anyway (more technical than steep). the best trails for SS are Mary's, Rustler, and Horsethief. The other trails, Moore, Lunch Loops are harder but entirely doable using the same gears we use here in Boise (32X18 or 34X21). We didn't get a chance to do the Book Cliffs.
    There were only 2 hotels in Fruita (but a ton more in Grand Junction). A Super 8 and a Comfort Inn. Fruita is a very very small town... Smaller than Donnelly. We stayed at the Super 8. Pet friendly and we were allowed to keep our bikes in the room.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    How far of a drive is Fruita from here?
    11 hours pulling a tent trailer. We stayed in the state park just south of town. $20/day, $5/day to get in the park, $1 for a 4 minute shower.

We rode Book Cliffs/ 18 Road when dry. The Edge Loop is still snowed in at the upper elevations. Stayed on the trails between Loma and Mack when it was wet. I agree, all single speed worthy; 32X18 and a 105mm fork worked great. We did ride the full suspension bikes for our Mary's-Lions-Troy Built loop. We tried Rabbit Valley as it was listed in the guide as sandy. We ran into a fair amount of mud and turned back.

We were there all week. The gals at OTE Sports were very helpful.