Who's doing the Bogus Hill climb?- Mtbr.com
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Who's doing the Bogus Hill climb?

I've thought about it.

Here are the waffle points:
    • They're not done chipsealing the road
    • I don't have a road bike. The CX might be an advantage with the new chipseal though. Then I can ride back down Dry Creek.
    • Maybe I should ride the SS. Passing roadies is fun on that bike. Coming back down via ES and SSC can be fun too...
    • Should I do the "ride" or the "race"?
    • How good is the schwag?
    • Maybe I should just stay home and work in the garden...
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I've thought about it.

• I don't have a road bike. The CX might be an advantage with the new chipseal though. Then I can ride back down Dry Creek.
    • Maybe I should ride the SS. Passing roadies is fun on that bike. Coming back down via ES and SSC can be fun too...
    I am. Brian built me a new set of hoops so I'll have a mental advantage. Advantage over what I don't know, but the climb will justify the purchase. I won't be in the top group, but I hope to make under an hour without too much drama.

mtbr member
    I've thought about it.

RRB and I may do it but it will be a last second decision. If we do, we'll go up on our SS with 2.35 Stick-E Tires just to make it interesting (and then come down East Side and SSC). It's a choice between going on a long mountain bike ride or a long mountain bike ride with a 15 mile pavement climb that you have to pay for (hmmmm, looking at it that way, it maybe a no brainer)...
    Scwag? What schwag? You get unlimited water, bagels and some fruit at the top however. Oh yeah, and a T-shirt.
    Westin-a sub 1 hour hill climb is super-fast...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sub I hour, are you sure? I think the fastest time ever was like 48 minutes or something, by Kelly Williamson of Lacticacidcycling

mtbr member
    I'm 50-50 at this point. I was planning on it, but the combo of the new chip-seal and me being out of shape, have made me think twice about it.

If I do it, it's in a last ditch effort to get shape for CX season, which is just around the corner.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Hoops - Big and Small

Supa Fast

Quote Originally Posted by westin
    but I hope to make under an hour without too much drama.
    Yeah I tried these new hoops last year - built by a wizard also, I made it up without even trying. Some how my time was 1:19 though

What hoops you runnin?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hoops - Big and Small

No.1 reason for doing the BBHC

I've thought about it.
    Not being called WaffleHead
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Sub I hour, are you sure? I think the fastest time ever was like 48 minutes or something, by Kelly Williamson of Lacticacidcycling
    Am I sure? Done the BBHC 12 times since age 14 (skipped years while in college, etc.). Slowest time was 1:08 my first year when I stopped to take off my 2 jackets and leg warmers; pitched those at mile marker 5. That was the older finish at the first parknig lot. Fastest is 57 and change when I thought my year of racing in California would make a contender. More like a pretender. So if I can do sub 60 this year I'll be happy.

To compare the time to Willamson's 48 is not even in the same league. Though I believe the hill record is 52 or 54 to the new finish. That's, what 45 seconds per mile faster?? Totally different league. A time 5 minutes faster is a butt kicking. Nine minutes compared to my PR could almost get him halfway back down the mountain by the time I finished and puked my brains out, and the hopeful sub-60 comparison would have him back down to where Sweet Connie comes out. I know there are a few mtb riders/mtbr posters who can do sub 60 without too much drama.

As for the hill itself and my personal race, it's only mentally difficult for me until the cattle crossing...get to the right hand corner, regroup and go. Keeping in mind that at MM10/the old National Forest Sign, it basically becomes a gentle if not flat road. FWIW, I'll be wearing wool.
    Last edited by westin; 08-31-2006 at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    As of last week, the chipseal is only to the FS Sign, half way.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm a serious maybe this year. I might do the SS thing with flip and RRB and ride the dirt back down. How's that sound, Twist? Four of us on singlespeeds? Sounds like fun to me.

Aug 2004
    I see they are having a "touring class" this year that starts at 9am while the competitive folks start at 9:30am (shouldn't they flip flop the two so that the "tourers" don't impede the serious folks???).

This may have to be on the "To-Do" list for next year...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I'm a serious maybe this year. I might do the SS thing with flip and RRB and ride the dirt back down. How's that sound, Twist? Four of us on singlespeeds? Sounds like fun to me.
    Hmmm... I'm not sure I could make it all the way up on my SS, but it might be fun to try. Eastside to Twister to Connie is another 1800 feet of up. That would make for a loooonnng day.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Hmmm... I'm not sure I could make it all the way up on my SS, but it might be fun to try. Eastside to Twister to Connie is another 1800 feet of up. That would make for a loooonnng day.
    it totals out to around 5 hours with stops...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I see they are having a "touring class" this year that starts at 9am while the competitive folks start at 9:30am (shouldn't they flip flop the two so that the "tourers" don't impede the serious folks???).

This may have to be on the "To-Do" list for next year...........
    I can't wait for one sandbagger in the "slow" class to put the hammer down.... and get top 5 overall on adjusted times.

I wonder how many "on your left...that didn't mean for you to turn left" incidents the "fast" class will encounter. Nothing like getting hit by a helmet-mounted sideview mirror or pannier.

mtbr member
    RRB, Flip, and EP, How serious is the SS talk? I'm giving it serious thoughts - assuming you wait at the top for me.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I might be up for the SS thing. I might also have to deliver my wife to the airport. Show me some peer pressure bruthas and sistas.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    RRB, Flip, and EP, How serious is the SS talk? I'm giving it serious thoughts - assuming you wait at the top for me.
    RRB and I are tentative for the climb. We may head up to McCall and do some riding up there instead... However, if you see a couple of SS'rs wearing hawaiian shirts at the start line, that's probably us...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Pending spousal approval, I'm in for a SS party to the top fest for Saturday AM. Twisted, would you bring the smokes? I'm toking if you're smokin.

Members who have read this thread: 0