Who has right of way on flat trail in daylight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Who has right of way on flat trail in daylight?

Riding the lower part of Buck's as you're going away from Military Reserve on the flattest part of the trail. I am approaching two riders and I slow down and move to the far right of the trail. The first rider goes by. I say "hi." The second rider comes along. I say hi while still hugging the far edge of the trail (on the border of what I'm presuming to be some nice goatheads). The trails were crowded tonight and it was a pleasant evening of responsible trail use among everyong until....

About two pedal strokes later the rider I just passed shouts "right of way, right of way!" At first I didn't know what he said so I stopped (not difficult since I was doing about 5 mph) and shouted "what" since he's now about 50 feet away. He shouts "right of way."

Now I begin to think he's telling me he had right of way on the near-perfectly flat ground. Since he looks to be at least 20 years old than me, I figured he read some obscure SWIMBA rule giving elders right of way. Nope. I nicely holler back, "who has right of way," and he points to his shoulder.

I yell "why" and he shouts, again, "right of way for me!" I yell back "you're full of sh*t!"

Minor trail rage aside, how do you handle a "right of way" on flat ground in broad daylight when one rider (me) is obviously making attempts to scooch over. I'd like to know in case I have a conversation with someone over this situation in the near future.

It should be noted that an elderly woman came along seconds later and she didn't throw a fit; she smiled and we thanked each other for scooching and slowing to the trail's edge on the same flat ground.

King of the Barneys
    Here's how I manage my life:

The uphill rider should always have the right of way. On that direction of Bucks, even if you were on a level section, you were on the uphill and the doof should have yielded to you.

I rode Buck's thrice tonight over the course of a couple hours. Once up, and twice down. I was on the red boinger with the blue & yellow sleeveless jersey and the big grin. I found that every rider I came across when I was on the uphill was very courteous and yielded the trail in a proper way. Something strange going on....

Some nights I'm not so lucky, when I almost get run over by idiots, or others yield by riding around me off trail. But my thought is, if the pitch is relatively level, then the whole section has to be taken into account, such as if you're riding Bucks away from M/R, then you're basically riding the uphill direction.

Just some thoughts just like belly buttons.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Jan 2005
    The one right of way rule that I abide by:
    If you don't think they could beat you up, make them yield to you. And maybe steal their lunch money too.

That said, I've only tried this tactic at school, so I'm not sre how it works on the trail...

Aug 2004
    So if I'm reading everything correctly....you were going up Bucktail and he was coming down correct? Simple....he should have yielded to you and other uphill users.

With regards to most of the trails around here...I view a each of them as a whole rather than sections here and there. So to me, just because both of you were on a flat section of the trail doesn't figure into the equation. Instead I see it as westin going up (and thus having the right of way) while the other guy was coming down.

Does that make sense?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I like to finish off taking the lunch money with giving the victim a good wedgie!!!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

a pondering thought

Visi...just how many people in school were you bigger than?
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Not many, but I was a scrappy as hell. Still am...which is substantiated by the fact that I am still riding bikes. I just wish I could go faster !!!

Doesn't the blind guy have the right of way?
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Rocks Rock

Right

You always yield to the one on the right.
    Some folks that are old and fat always think they are right.
    Opps I better shutup.
    Am I being kind?

King of the Barneys
    That's basically what I was trying to say. Good elucidation, Nick.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Sorry can't concede the other riders attitude but if I was riding on flat I would yield to a couple of riders when riding alone.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ummm, the rider with the bigger shotgun? (or pepper spray?)

Barneys Unite!

Gotta agree w/CBro and Belay . . .

On that part of Buck's, you had the right of way to my view. My friend Mark and I took his boy and a friend on Buck's last Saturday, and the instructions were clear. "On this part of the trail (we were at the summit, as it were, getting read to head down), everybody coming towards us has the right of way".

You have to consider the totality of the trail, not a particular ten foot section.

And be excellent to each other!

Members who have read this thread: 0