Cleavage Of The Tetons

Whitefish/Kalispell 'Big' rides?

Planning a trip in August. Looking for a 4-5 hour ride with ~4-5k vert. Are there any 'must do' epics like that in the area? I poked around on trailforks, and didn't see an obvious route. Thanks in advance!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    There is a few locals on here occasionally, gets more traffic in the summer. I would check with Flathead Area Mountain Bikers, their website shows group rides although probably not yet for this year.

I have always wanted to do the Alpine #7, or some part thereof, Wire, Bond Creek etc. It's a long shuttle.

I really like the Foys to Blacktail, ridden either way, you'll get your climb in for sure. Start from the south, it is brutal steep up to the giant soccer ball, then fun descending to Foy's Lake. Make sure to jump in the lake when finished. If you didn't have someone to drop you off somewhere, there are a lot of rides that involve FS road climbs followed by awesome downhill.

The new section of the Whitefish Trail coming off Big Mountain is really really fun. There's a good book that has a lot of good rides available, I think it is called Flathead Singletrack.

To answer your question, I think Alpine #7 would fit the bill of "must do epic"

Have fun
    2016 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh man, this really depends on how adventurous you are. Here are my recommendations (no particular order) and bring bear spray

1. Doris Creek to Columbia - This is the northern most section of the Alpine 7 and is great. You do need a shuttle or drop off at Doris Creek. You can then ride back to Columbia Falls to have a beer.

2. Napa to Wire - As stated earlier, it is a long shuttle but an amazing ride on Alpine 7. There is lots of beta online about this one.

3. Heron Park to Blacktail and back. This is mostly an out and back or if you can get someone to drop you off at Blacktail

4. Tally Lake or Reid Divide. Great rides west of Whitefish.

Whitefish trail is easy XC riding but you can create a huge loop around Whitefish if you are crunched for time or shuttle drivers. Reach out as it gets summer, lots of people will chime in with their epics.
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I think that Napa To Wire sounds bloody PERFECT.
    Think I could do the shuttle with Uber?

(Just kidding!).

We will have to see how the smoke/fire factor is...anyone want to join? There will be two of us coming up from Jackson Hole.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It is one of the best experiences I have had on a bike. I think it is about an hour drive from the bottom back up to get your car. Took me 5 hrs to complete the ride and with the shuttle, it is an all day event. But hot damn is it good.

Long way away but I will join ya, reach out when the time comes
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Ried ridge point to tally lake is only 12 miles if you shuttle it.

mtbr member
    I'm interested. There's a 50/50 chance I'm working any particular day, though, so it'll depend on that. Might have another friend or two that'd also be game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So much good riding right out of whitefish! I come every year in August. Usually the last week of the month. Last year the smoke was bad and I limited my rides to 2 to 3 hours. Most days 1 hour tops it felt so bad. Hopefully it is not like that this year.
    THe local Great Northern bike shop does some cool group rides that are full of strong riders.
    Larry Miller-
    www.laxon3.tumblr.com