Where to camp/ride in Sun Valley- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Where to camp/ride in Sun Valley

Wifey and I are headed to the Ketchum area for a long weekend of MTBing and would love to hear some suggestions on places to ride and camp.

Ride-wise, the Greenhorn-Decker Ck loop and Bulldog-Hidden Valley rides described in the recent Bike mag rides about right for our 2 full day rides but our copy of "Good Dirt" seems a bit old and doesn't describe them. What shop should we visit for info?

Where would you go for a quick little leg stretcher of 5 to 10 miles?

We'd ideally like to primitive camp somewhere that we could do short loops from camp. Is there anywhere like that? If not, where is a nice spot to camp with good views where we won't have to pay and won't have to be too close to other people?

Where's the best place for beer and food (we're dirt bag MTBers, not movie stars)?

Thanks!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Yeah I started there but it seemed more geared toward finding a place to reserve a spot for my RV or if I was looking for more pictures to convince me to spend time there.

I'm looking more for info like "there's plenty of primitive camping up Such-and-Such Gulch and from there it's just a 2 mile ride to Super Cool Single Track Trail".

Or, "if you don't mind paying for camping, USFS Site #5 is right at the trailhead for an awesome ride".

Or even, "if you get here before 4pm on Sat, stop in at Bike Shop X and they'd be happy to give you ideas".

mtbr member
    May 2006
    stop in at Powerhouse in Hailey -- bike shop and bar combined in one.

http://www.sunvalleyonline.com/2010/...-pub-bike-shop

they can give you trail info, beer, and a burger all in one place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good primitive camping & campgrounds off Warm Springs Rd if you drive ~5 miles from Ketchum. Deer Creek Rd has lots of spots too but is further out of town; I've never camped there. There are multiple USFS campgrounds on Hwy 75 just North of town that are nice and aren't too RVer-ish if you choose wisely. Also, there's a nice small campground off Trail Creek rd (I think it's Boundary CG) that is at the start of a fun little trail. Check recreation.gov

Food/Drink: Lefty's, Grumpy's, KB Burrito.

mtbr member
    If you were going to Stanley, I could give you some info as the wife and I were just there camping and riding for 4 days this past weekend. Have a great trip...it's fun to ride new trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd
    Deer Creek Rd has lots of spots too but is further out of town; I've never camped there. .
    we camp down Deer Creek Rd when we are there.

not far after the pavement ends - there are primitive spots.

drive to the end of the road and ride down there ) 8 miles from 75, +/-. wolftone or kinsey to curran is a great ride.

north fork deer creek - more technical - sheep have done a number on portions of this trail.

head to the greenhorn trailhead and pick a loop to ride.

tons of places to eat in the area...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd

Food/Drink: Lefty's, Grumpy's, KB Burrito.
    KB Burrito was out of business when I stopped by a couple of weeks ago.

Members who have read this thread: 0